Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Challenger 2008 and Later

1111213141517»

Comments

• the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,073
    All I can say is SOLD - Where do I get in line to buy one?? I am to young (the last Challenger to roll off the line was way before I was even thought of) to have been around in the Muscle Car Glory Days, but my dad has a Barracuda and I have always loved the old Mopars like the Challenger, Charger, Super Bee, Dart, Roadrunner, Cuda and the like. I love the way this new version has come out - still holding true to a timeless design, while at the same time throwing some serious power under the hood and letting us all relish in the modern car amenities that we all love...

Like I said before - where do I get in line to buy one? This is one car worth having.
  • hippehippe Posts: 14
    I thought by now somebody that owned one would post something about it. Don't tell me they still aren't out there yet. I've read about lots of sightings.
  • bowbowabowbowa Posts: 2
    well i got mine last Tuesday, June 24th, and it is the only one on the road, and believe necks are breaking from snapping their heads to get a look see. And of all ages, and the chicks love it, works for me, lol. But I am assuming most are at the dealers yet who have their prices jacked up from greed, and no its not business, its nothing but greed. I will say from hearing about all the time they took wanting to get it right, I do have some issues with mine. One body panel isnt aligned very well, a piece of interior will need to be replaced, couple of scratches, and 4 spots that have dirt under the paint, 1 chip in paint,and stripe has a small air bubble under one spot. I love the car and hoping things can be fixed and look right, and as far as their quality control, they need some work. Other than all that I do love it, and it is "FAST"
  • C2456RonC2456Ron Posts: 58
    With all the hype over this car in the last 2 years, it is nothing like it was supposed to be, not to me anyway!!! With a Base Price of just over $21,300, and tested @ just over $40,000, makes me want to cry. Is Chrysler charging you for every bolt and clip that holds this together? For almost $20,000. in options, this should be not 1 of the fastest on the road, but THE fastest, hands down.
    This long awaited "Muscle Car" just isn't what it was made out to be, not by a long shot. To compare it with the Carroll Shelby Mustang and the ZO6 Corvette is an insult to both the other cars! I don't know about the Mustang, but the ZO6 is only 3100 lbs, with 505 HP off the end of the assembly line, and from what I've heard and read about the C/S Mustang, it is 3800 lbs w/500 HP, close to the Vette, but the ZO6 DON'T have a Gas Guzzler Tax, does the 1/4 mile in just 12 seconds, not 13.2 and gets 25 mpg to boot, just to cruise the highway with.
    They changed so much in the final product, you KNOW they are aiming for the children spending Daddy's money and don't really care how much this disappointment cost, just that they know this is what they want. The "Brembo" brakes I seriously doubt that it really has them in this $40,000. beast, if it does, they have to be the bottom of their line for that money! Brembo's ceramic brakes cost near $20,000 by themselves, they are advertised on the ZR1 with 6 piston calipers in front, 4 piston in the rear! Talk about stopping on a dime and getting 9 cents change! Am I the only one to notice, or did anyone else notice that the comparison video only compared this to the "Bullet Mustang" w/340 HP, NOT the Carroll Shelby Mustang @ 500 HP, nor did it even consider a comparison against the Corvette, never mind the ZO6, but ANY Corvette at all, not even the bottom of the line 400 HP!?
    It is really disappointing to me to see a preview of a "Muscle Car" come out, yet be interpreted as something it will NOT, or ever be! Sorry folks but with $20,000. worth of options, this is not a 4100 lb Muscle Car and will NEVER be worth a $100,000 car. This car in it's present form will only sell to the kids or the disillusioned over 50 adult, in his mid-life crisis! I think I will stick with my C6 Vette and only HOPE to comeup aside of one of these so called "Hemi Challenger's"! I just hope that he can still see my rear plate at the end of the 1/4 mile! I am totally disappointed in this Challenger, it is nothing like I expected to see as the final product! :(
    BTW: Is Chrysler going to do what I hear they are doing with the Viper? If you do NOT already own one, you just can not just go into a Dealership and buy one, not even if you laid the cash on the table? This is what I've heard and don't really know this to be true, not yet anyway! I do want to wish the people that DO buy one of these the best of Luck with it, and hope they get everything they bargained for! Good Luck!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,221
    With a Base Price of just over $21,300, and tested @ just over $40,000, makes me want to cry. Is Chrysler charging you for every bolt and clip that holds this together?

Ummmm... no. But they are definitely charging you for going from a 3.5 liter V6 in the base model to the big daddy SRT8, as you are obviously comparing with those prices.

For almost $20,000. in options, this should be not 1 of the fastest on the road, but THE fastest, hands down.

Really? The fastest car on the road for $40k?? That would be incredibly impressive, but then you'd have to feel bad for all those folks who spend double that to get a GTR, or triple that to get a Porsche, or 5 times that to get a Ferrari.

To compare it with the Carroll Shelby Mustang and the ZO6 Corvette is an insult to both the other cars!

I agree, because those are much more expensive... which leads me to the next point:

Am I the only one to notice, or did anyone else notice that the comparison video only compared this to the "Bullet Mustang" w/340 HP, NOT the Carroll Shelby Mustang @ 500 HP, nor did it even consider a comparison against the Corvette, never mind the ZO6, but ANY Corvette at all, not even the bottom of the line 400 HP!?

Wait a sec ... you are complaining about the Challenger starting at more than $37k, yet you want to compare it to a Vette that starts at $47k or maybe even one that starts at $72k? Not to mention it is not even in the same class as the Challenger given its lack of a rear seat.

The Mustang? Well, I guess the Shelby isn't too much more expensive. Only about $5k more.

But... wait ... tell me again why the Challenger should be the fastest car on the road?

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• 08blackrt08blackrt Posts: 10
    I would love to have a Challenger! I don't want a stick, I hate them in everyday driving. I HATED the show car's interior, and have no complaints about the production car using the same basic interior as the Charger. All in all, I think the Challenger is about as good as I could ever have hoped it would be.

I was hoping to keep my last vehicle for a couple more years and then get one, but a severe knee injury made my Ram something that had to go away, so I bought what was the closest to it, an 08 Charger R/T. I really like it, no problems at 7 months, I get over 17MPG in town, driving it like I want to, and got 25+ on a trip a while back. And, it's COMFORTABLE.
  • sounds like sour grapes to me, i could have bought a vette many times, i don't like the new body style. i have waited 38 years for a muscle car that actually looked like a muscle car, i could have bought a mustang, but when i heard they were coming out with the challenger, i new i had to have one, and i got one! i am so happy with the car, i know its not the fastest car on the road, but it is fast. 0 to 60 in 4 sec. We took the car to the mopar nationals
    and had it side by side with a 1970 challenger , and the only thing i could say i wish i had on mine is the front hood tie clips. And the brakes are what they say they are.
    When we are cruising everyone looks, crans their neck to see what is coming up behind them, taking pictures with their cell phones, giving us the thumbs up, screaming whoo hooo. the hemi orange really makes people notice the car. the black not so good, the lines of the car disapear, my opinion, and i love black on cars, the red looks good too, but not as good as the orange. When you take off from a red light, the g force sets you back into the seats, and they just envelope you as you climb past the 100 mile per hour mark. the sound of the car gets real throaty , not as much as the old 440's , but it is still good. my neighbors say they can hear me before they see me. it is truly just a fun fantastic car to drive. and we got 22 miles to the gallon highway driving. try to get that in the vette or the old 70's 440 engines.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,221
    that's great.
    it really is a beautiful car. congrats!

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• Owner of car #5323 of #6400 chiming in here and I agree with every word. I have never owned a new car, never had the desire, but this car was made for me. I have a 70"s Hemi Challenger and yes it's fast fast fast, but it's also uncomfortable as hell compared with this new machine. This Challenger is quality and forethought from the word go. A pleasure to drive and an attention getter everywhere you go. Orange and black just jumps out and commands attention. I love the keyless entry, the Infotainment Center, Sirius radio, GPS, bolster seats, Kicker sub, carbon fiber stripe, and the seeming endless smooth throaty power. And the handling? The brakes? Wow. There isn't one thing I would change on my car.
    Did I mention I really like it?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Look behind them.

• I know its been a while since anyone posted here, but I was hoping someone could share their Challenger buying or shopping experience with me.
    I'm looking to get an R/T or an SE, and I would like to see what people have been experiencing out their.

Thank you for your help.
  • I have an 2008 SRT. It's great. I love the car. That's the good news.

The bad news was that getting it was not a fun thing. I had my name on 7 lists for the car and then when they came in they were charging more than sticker price. I would guess that by now it's a lot easier to get one. I've been to a number of dealerships that have the SE and RT so I would imagine that it's easier to get one now. I would check all the dealerships in your area and if they have what you want, I would get it there. If you order one, good luck. Depending on what happens to Chrysler, the order might not get through. My order (at the dealership where I eventually got it) was placed at 9AM in December 2007 ( first day to order the car)and I didn't get it until July 2008.

As of today, It looks like the deal with fiat will go through, but we'll see by the end of the week. If Chrysler goes through bankruptcy, who knows what will happen.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Posts: 2,882
    I've briefly chatted with a couple salesman via email and both were saying list price, so no deals yet, even for a used 2008 with few miles. I'm waiting for employee pricing. Here in Orlando Florida dealers do still have a few on the lots but they aren't dealing. I'll wait.
  • That's been my experience as well here in Buffalo New York. What's frustrating, besides the rumored death of Chrysler, is that none of the dealers in my area are taking delivery of any new Challengers.
    Yep, my salesman also said the same, Chrysler isn't making any more Challengers yet. He did say they expect to get a fully loaded blue Classic R/T shortly and that most of the Classics will be the blue color.
  • Wow, he told you theiy're not making any more Challengers? Is he stretching the truth a bit, thinking about plant pauses, or did they totally stop?
    I like the Classics, I just am not a big fan of the 20 inch wheels.
  • Wow, do you think that's true or is he confusing it with factory pauses?
    I'm not surprised they're not making them, but its hard to believe they would not produce any more Challengers since they are one of their best selling cars.
    I like the Classic, I just don't like its 20 inch wheels.
    I believe he meant the stoppage was only temporary and that things should pick up shortly. But he talked like a typical salesman, trying to get me to buy now, saying even when things pick up it will still be slow. I told him I'll still wait for the employee pricing. I gave him all my contact information and surprisingly I haven't heard from him since.
  • I'm not surprised you haven't heard from him. Even though the economy is slow and Chrysler is in trouble the Challengers seem to be holding their own. I've gotten an initial internet quote for $1500 off MSRP on a base SE with sunroof, but I haven't really talked to the dealer yet and wouldn't be surpirsed if some part of that deal didn't apply to me. Forget about it on R/Ts.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 976
    There are a few fairly recent posts in the Challenger Prices Paid & Buing Experience forum.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• johnjake25johnjake25 Posts: 2
    i saw a challenger R/T yesterday and fell in love with the style but i had a few questions.
    When i was at the dealership the dealer told me that two cylinders shut off when driving slowly and that i would get approximatly 30mpg with the r/t is this true?
    How expensive is the average maintence on this vehicle?
    Is the vehicle very reliable?
    is there any benefits for buying a 2010 or are there any differences between years?
    and finnally I have not heard any good things about the dodge nav system. is it any good or worth buying? how does it stack up to other brands like fords nav?
  • tc16tc16 Posts: 3
    Wow, I am a little late on this but I'll try anyway. I am looking to purchase a Challenger as well. I would be surprised if the RT would achieve 30mpg. I believe (dont quote me) that the advertised MPG is 16/25 for both the auto and manual. I find this suspect since the manual does not shut down the unneeded cylinders (although this may be made up for with the 6th gear of the manual).

I don't own one so I can't speak of the reliability although I would love to hear some comments from those that do.

I am juggling whether to go new or used. The question I have is the difference in warranty between 09 and 10. The 10 has 5 yr 100K mile warranty I believe but I don't know if it is transferable to second or third owner.
  • Hello again, why yes you were slightly late to this discussion.
    Anyway I ended up buying something else . I drove several challengers and they were very nice and if things had been different I think i would still buy one.
    I chose not to because i was afraid of the reliability of other dodge products and had a hard time believing this would be any different.
    Most challengers I have seen are very low mileage and the owners have a second car. I was not afforded this luxury at the time.

I looked at a new challenger also but personally I would suggest used. I did not like the dodge dealers service areas in my local area they seemed to try to rip everyone off on everything and i didnt want to fight over price.
    But the challengers did not seem to sell to much under msrp.
    However now that we are in the new year the used ones are much lower in price.
    so I would suggest looking at used i do not know if your looking for a loaded challenger or even thinking of an srt but when i was looking i was able to find decent deals on many r/ts and the srt were alot cheaper than the r/t.
    so if its not going to be your daily driver i would even suggest looking at the srt even if the gasmileage is less you could save a bit in the initial purchasing.
  • thesrcthesrc Posts: 1
    I'm very late to this party but will share what I know. I purchased a 2010 SRT8. It's a six-speed manual fully loaded. A Blast to drive. Anyway, as for the cylinder deactivation, that occurs on the RT with the automatic when you're cruising on the highway. As for city driving, not sure if the same happens. Mileage on the highway is not 30mpg but more like 26mpg - in a perfect world. As my car is new, I can't answer the maintenance question. The same goes for reliability. As for 2010 vs. 2011 - the 2010s are finished production. Any you find are what's left of the 2010 stock. 2011s should start appearing shortly. Unfortunately, its the 392 signature series of which the US gets only 1000. I'm guessing the dealers will be marking those suckers up quite a bit. Also, the initial run only comes in two colors, blue with white stripes and white with blue stripes. The navigation is spot on. I have had many systems and this one works well. The only thing I don't like is it can't be programed while moving. I guess the passenger inputting an address is considered dangerous. :) Since I haven't used Ford's navigation I can't compare the two.

The thing is this: I wanted a fun car. This car delivers in spades. It's spacious, fast and enjoyable to drive. The six speed took some time to get used to but it is rock solid. No regrets buying this baby. As someone said. "this car is simply righteous!" I would have to agree with this statement in whole. If you're worried about reliability, then looking at one of the other brands may be the way to go. If you like driving and appreciate the whole retro theme and like a good old fashion kick-butt engine without any gimmicks, then give the Challenger a look.