Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I think the auto makers are frustrating me with all the concept cars, or cars for fleet use only. I want a retail car on the market!!!!

As long as gas is under $3/gal it will be tough to get customers on board. Why would I pay $5-10k+ extra for an electric vehicle or PHEV that still is not as capable or convenient as a ICE and can take 15 years to pay for the additional technology?

I have no doubt the day is coming where the ICE is gone, but it's going to take a while.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    NONE of them has any firm idea about the Li-Ion batteries yet. They simply don't know. Do you want to spend upwards of $50000 on a vehicle that the maker itself isn't sure about the power plant?

Not me.

In our litigious society there are whole schools of sharks waiting for anything to go amiss so that they can file a class action lawsuit against anyone with deep pockets. Hell Honda settled a class action suit on the Civic hybrid simply because it advertised the EPA numbers for fuel economy - as it's required to do by law. They did what they were instructed to do and still they got sued and so they settled out of court.

Toyota is behind thrashed all over the internets and press because a Lexus dealer put the wrong All Weather Mat into the wrong vehicle and didn't secure it resulting in a tragedy.

Do you think makers might be a little gun-shy about putting new technologies on the roads now? The sharks are circling.
  • Options
    hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "Lastly, (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) I believe the T-100 was built on the same frame as the Tacoma that made the recall list last year. And Toyota took a bath on all those Tacos tat they bought back by offering 150% of the resale value. Probably settled a lot of the anger from these owners"

You are wrong on the T-100 It was not built on the same frame as the Taco. The T-100 was imported from Japan and never built here. It was a Mid size truck like the Dakota. Like I said I have owned 3 T-100s and about 6 or 7 Taco's I have never seen rust on the T-100s frame except a little surface rust after 150,000 miles or 7 years (in this area) I used to buy T-100s or Tacos drive them for a year then sell them for more than I paid. That worked good till I could not find any T-100s for sale and the Taco's were rusted to pieces. I bought a brand new Taco and do not drive it if there is any salt on the roads. On the other forum I use (4X4 wire) Those boys were buying T-100s with 200,000 miles on them and running them to 400,000 miles. If anyone knows of a T100s frame rusting through I would like to see that.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    They seem like a natural fit for the post office, but who else can really own one of these?

Unless you never, ever wander far from home?

I have to make a run up to east armpit NY in a few weeks to take my son back to school. About 250miles each way (and right now, danged cold!)

Am I supposed to stop for the night half way up and half way back to recharge?

At least the current hybrids make some logical sense, even if they probably fail on a practical ($$) and real cost (purchase too) basis.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    "Do you think makers might be a little gun-shy about putting new technologies on the roads now? The sharks are circling"

I agree with you. I do not know how the Automobile, Pharma, food, consumer product companies can make any money with the sharks out there trying to make a buck. It just ends up costing us the consumer in the end.
  • Options
    Absolutely. In the pricing scenario's all makers have to build in the requisite burden of having to settle any number of lawsuits simply because of the shark mentality of our legal profession and certain segments of our population.

This increases the prices for everybody. As the old adv line used to go..."It's in there."
  • Options
    Toyota goes forward with the plan to market a Prius lineup.

Pointing to how Prius has become a universal icon for hybrid technology, Lentz confirmed that TMS is developing a Prius family “marketing strategy” for North America that will take full advantage of the Prius brand equity.

“The strategy is still taking shape and obviously it will require additional models to qualify as a family,” said Lentz. “Among others, the FT-CH is a concept that we are considering.”

In the early 2010s, Toyota plans to sell a million hybrids per year globally, a majority of those in North America. To accomplish this, Toyota will launch eight all new hybrid models over the next few years. These will not include next generation versions of current hybrids; instead, they will be all new dedicated hybrid vehicles, or all new hybrid versions of existing gas engine models.

This IMO is using the hammer that the Prius has become. Pound, Pound, Pound - in a marketing sense - and build upon the foundation of positives that the Prius name engenders in the public. In addition to dedicated new 'Prius' models it appears that we shall soon see a hybrid van/MPV of some form and shape ( Sienna or Prius ) along with updates on the HH and TCH as normally scheduled.

I'd estimate the HH v 2.0 to be announced later this year and the TCH v 2.0 to be announced when the Gen 7 Camry is announced for early next year.
  • Options
    From NAIAS this morning...

“Within the next 10 to 20 years, we will not only reach peak oil we will enter a period where demand for all liquid fuels will exceed supply,” said Jim Lentz, TMS president. “A century after the invention of the automobile, we must re-invent it with powertrains that significantly reduce or eliminate the use of conventional petroleum fuels. One of many alternatives is through what is commonly called the electrification of the automobile. By far, the single most successful example of this has been the gas-electric hybrid.”

IOW the leading vehicle maker in the world announces that it is actively developing a strategy where reliance on petro-fuels is passe' at a time in the near future.

Hybrids, PHVs, BEVs and FCHVs will be our future transportation sooner than we may have thought. If eonomic and political events intrude then the onset of electification could be sudden and shocking :surprise: to the petro-fuel-driven vehicle.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Will they be able to make a profit without government subsidies? We know that Japanese government has kicked in $4000 on each of them sold in Japan. We subsidized a bunch with C4C. Can they actually sell on their own?
  • Options
    doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    Peak oil is a myth. Petroleum will be a major source of energy useage for many years to come. None of the "green" technologies are economically feasible, as someone else commented. They all are heavily subsidized by taxpayers. Translated - we are paying much more for energy than we need to.

I still wonder what will happen with these hybrid vehicles in the next few years. Are they going to be more difficult to maintain and cost more to maintain? I don't understand why people shell out thosands more for these vehicles than for a regular one. It is not cost effective, and money is merely a measure of resources. So, it is a waste of resources to pay more for something than is necessary. If they want to, that's fine, but it really isn't saving anything.
  • Options
    That depends on a myriad of factors. If Toyota is correct and the next 10-20 yrs sees a fundamental change in the way the western world powers its vehicles then when demand outstrips supply....anything will sell.
  • Options
    You need to do more research. Hybrid vehicles need less maintenance than petro-fueled vehicles.

If you think you're paying more for energy than you should then, in Toyota's view, you may be in for a rude awakening in the next decade.
    What if you couldn't get but 10 gal per week? That was your personal ration.
    What if fuel jumped to $6 or $8 as it is in Europe?
    What if al-Qaeda decided that rather than bomb airlines it would bomb tankers in the straits of Hormuz?
    What if Iran was nuked by Israel?
    What if extremists did away with the Royal Family in Saudi?

Believe what you wish. It doesn't affect me one bit. I'm protected now and will continue to be protected in the future.

You're entirely wrong about costs because you haven't done any analysis. Or, if you have then you haven't done it properly. I have done them, multiple, multiple times. Sorry you're way out of your league on this.
  • Options
    Predicting the future is always iffy at best. There are many sources of oil other than just the Middle East, if we will make use of them. Electricity is still dependent on fossil fuel - natural gas. Wind energy and the rest of it is pretty much a fantasy. There might be some promise in biofuels (other than the absurd ethanol), but it remains to be seen if this will really be able to compete without taxpayer subsidies.

What happens when the batteries need to be replaced in these vehicles? They are very expensive, no? Add that to the up-front cost of buying one of these vehicles, and it still does not seem that they are a good buy.

The only way to see if any technology is worth having is to let it compete in the free market. As long as government is intervening, there will be distortions, waste, and unintended consequences. If we had a true, competitive market and people wanted to buy hybrid vehicles and manufacturers could make a profit selling them, then that's great. Government subsidies cause waste and unnecessary expense. That is true in all cases.
  • Options
    lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    The better question is "What happens to the batteries that were replaced in these vehicles?" Will they be buried underground then leak and leech toxins into the soil far worse then the emissions of ten million out-of-tune 1940s vehicles and several hundred 1890s steel mills thrown in for good measure?
  • Options
    Well, there is that, too. :D

Every time government intervenes and tries to fix something, there are always unintended consequences. The "fix" is almost always worse than the initial problem, and for some reason, everybody clamors for government to "fix" the new problem.. and so on and so on.

I am just leery of new technology that is rushed to market and then subsidized by government to help it sell. (Yes, I am an old fogey.)
  • Options
    Well this is the first time that I've seen any major industrial company come out and stated that it is basing its intermediate term strategy on what-til-now has been a hypothetical issue for most of the public. OTOH you may not be aware of it but this is also the official policy of the US Govt. It was the key finding in Cheney's Energy Task Force back in 2007. When it was presented to Bush everything began to change. Again you don't have to believe it but it doesn't matter because policy issues are being put in place in every major government and now huge industrial companies are making their plans and strategies based on limited and reduced access to petro-fuels.

You may continue on believing as you wish but you won't go untouched because events are already taking place to implement these new strategies.

Again on the hybrid issue you simply must do a lot more research. You're about 5 yrs late to this discussion. The batteries never need to be replaced in the hybrids. They are turning out to be the most durable part of the vehicles. The lifetimes are certainly somewhere in excess of 300,000 miles if not 500,000 miles. The hybrid systems need no maintenance...ever! Yes ... as in no expense...ever!

Politica rants ==========> Gagrice, et al have a special forum for those.
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I don't see this as an issue when we've been successfully recycling the lead-acid batteries that have been used in conventional cars since almost the beginning. This is no different for the nickel-metal hydride batteries used today and Li-Ion batteries in the future. You take your spent battery back to the dealer or auto parts store where you then get a small discount on the replacement. But as kdhspyder mentions, batteries in the Prius have not been dying en masse in the first place.

As for the comment above about oil coming from other sources than the Middle East, yes that's true, BUT if Middle Eastern production is taken out for even a short period, you can bet that the REST of the oil supplied will rapidly rise in price.
  • Options
    Puleeze..you've been in and around these discussions for how long now?

Are you still under the misconception from 2003 that these batteries get dumped in some landfill? Are you still not aware of what is in these NiMH batteries? Have you done no research on your own since 2003?

C'mon Rip, wake up!!

No I'll do it for you so that you don't have to work too hard...

1. NiMH batteries have no toxic materials in them at all.
    2. NiMH batteries can be disassembled in your garage without the EPA arresting you.
    3. NiMH batteries are considered 'green power' because you can't hurt the environment when they're done.
    4. The NiMH batteries contain Nickel which is very expensive and Toyota and other makers want that Nickel back. They pay a $200 Bounty for every returned battery.
    5. There no lead or acid in the batteries.

Amazingly this is all available on this place called the internet. There's a tool called Google that might help.
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    And what if none of that happens?

I am with others here. Until alternative sources of energy becomes economically viable, they will continue to make only a small impact.

I would say the holy grail for electric cars is 300 miles on a single charge of a relatively small battery pack....at a viable price.

Packaged in something like the Prius or better, I would put down $30K. Otherwise, no thanks !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    If you were to run a multi-$Billion industrial giant with your name on it and were responsible for hundreds of thousands of people directly and indirectly, as well as millions of shareholders throughout the world would you want to place your trust in 'What if none of these things happen?'

If you were responsible for 305 million people, their jobs, wealth, health and well being and your analysts told you that while there is a lot of oil left in the earth... we can't get at it economically and we can't bring it to market for a lonnnggg time. Would you say, 'Well let's hope for the best.'?

No, obviously. This is not just a parlor room or cocktail party discussion now. Real companies and actual governments are taking the issue seriously enough to formulate actions and strategies in order to be ready to react when it occurs. Will it be in July of 2014? Who knows. November 2018? Maybe. Sometime in 2022? A good chance. Those that have the data from industry and can see the growth of the world can see the graphs of 'have and need' separating. When will it create a crisis? Place your bets ladies and gentlemen.
  • Options
    More what ifs, and none of it is necessary.

If the gov would remove the barriers to clean diesel, we could cut our consumption by 40% overnight and forget all the "what ifs".

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    OMG...not this discussion again. MODS!!!!

I've said this all over the diesel threads. It's not the gov. It's the vehicle makers themselves that are killing diesel vehicles here in NA. GM, Toyota, Ford in the lead,with now all the rest following behind, have already determined that diesel-fueled LPV's will not sell in N America in any kind of quantity to justify the expenses of
    a. fabrication
    b. education
    c. marketing

"..cut our consumption by 40% overnight..."? You're so out of touch with reality that you've gotta try selling igloos in the Amazon. The NA buying public doesn't want diesel-powered LPVs. Back to the dark and dirty diesel threads with your rants please.
  • Options
    yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    Toyota is great GM started building crap in 1960. And SUV's were the poorest example of their so called engineering which is really dumb conservative Midwestern Detroit arrogance. After two bad Fords I have owned 8 Toyotas 4 Subarus and 2 Hondas I live in a GM twon They are not in business here anymore
  • Options
    Tell that to all the people in Europe where about 70% of all private passenger cars are diesel. They shun hybrids like the plague.

New diesels are actually cleaner that gas these days. I'll bet if Toyota started selling diesels here you would change your tune fast enough !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    It's the vehicle makers themselves that are killing diesel vehicles here in NA. GM, Toyota, Ford in the lead,with now all the rest following behind

I don't want to hear any whining when VW kicks into gear and outsells your beloved hybrids in the USA with diesel cars. Now that the USA is a second rate auto buying country. The company with the better mouse trap will win. Diesel is SOOOO much better than hybrids for all but stop and go driving.

According to the Environmental Protection Agency, if one third of the U.S. passenger vehicle fleet were powered by diesels, foreign oil imports could be reduced 1.4 million barrels per day. By comparison, that savings is 40 percent greater than the one million barrels the U.S. imports from Saudi Arabia every day. This reduced crude oil consumption would cut carbon dioxide emissions by 180 million tons per year.

EPA says we need more diesel cars

I think 40% was the figure posted by Houdini. So you might want to catch up on current events. I would even consider a small Toyota PU if it was diesel. Otherwise I am in my last Toyota. After 3 sad experiences over 45 years I finally have learned my lesson.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    OMG...not this discussion again. MODS!!!!

Heh, y'all are doing fine keeping yourselves on track.

There is this:

What Would It Take for YOU to buy a diesel car?
  • Options
    Why would you think diesels are off topic here? Toyota makes and sells diesels worldwide and many people seem to love them. They will be a big part of their business in 2010.

Do you just want to talk about all the Toyota recalls and the people who have been killed by unintended acceleration? That can't be good for sales !! :shades:

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    I agree. What will Toyota do to compete with Number one VW in 2010? That has to scare the pants off the big guys in Tokyo. VW is about 6 years ahead of plans to become number one in the World. The main Toyota markets are Japan and USA. Both are drying up as we speak. With the US economy going south faster than the new high speed trains in China, the US will be lucky to sell as many vehicles as 2009. The best deals will be where the sales are.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    >you just want to talk about all the Toyota recalls and the people who have been killed by unintended acceleration? :sick:

Has the information from the Runaway Lexus black box that only Toyota seems to be able to unlock been released by the San Diego sheriff's office or the prosecutors yet? :sick:

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    watkinstwatkinst Member Posts: 119
    My wife just got back from this years CES show in Vegas. The attendance is way up over 100,000 people and last year it hardly broke 80,000. If thats any indication of markets and money I think your reference to the economy is about 6 months late.

VW has made huge strides in both style and greatly improved build quality in just the last few years. Toyota for many years now has been heavily reliant on their reputation given their cars for quite some time are not seen as exciting but mere appliances to go from point A to point B.

With the highly public stuck gas pedal accident and some other recent issues Toyota's reputation has lost some of its shine thus they now need their vehicles to sell them selves vs PR.

Can VW be no1? I would almost say that they don't want to be no1 given that title seems to be a curse.
  • Options
    Late to the news. I'm sorry to report that your hopes for some massive catrastrophe befalling Toyota is going to have to wait .... again. The data from the EDR was corrupted by the crash. None of the interested parties was able to get anything useful from the EDR.

Sorry to have to disappoint you...again. :shades:
  • Options
    Again late to the news.

While you and others might not understand the automarket Toyota certainly does. In fact the only metric that is worth anything is 'How does the public perceive Toyota?' You and others might not like the company and its vehicles but that's not at all being reflected in actual sales.

Since this is a business not a beauty contest the only metric that has any validity is sales. Your opinion has been noted, given appropriate consideration and has been filed.

Here's a hint why there is no movement away from Toyota except in your mind. People are basically self-centered. They think of themselves and their own conditions first and foremost. As long as the huge majority of owners is highly satisfied with with their vehicles, then whatever occurs to somebody else is just somebody else's business, their bad luck. Isolated cases have no effect on anyone no matter what the press would have you believe. Watch the sales stats.

Next.
  • Options
    Here's a suggestion for you.

Face toward the east tomorrow morning just before dawn and as it gets brighter start screaming .....

"NO NO NO don't come up..Stay down, stay down."

I'm certain that if you do this every morning that as soon as you're successful in keeping the sun from rising that the entire auto industry will see your pov and suddenly begin to build diesel LPVs in mass quantities for NA....and a few might actually sell.

In the meanwhile the Germans are bringing hybrids here.
  • Options
    watkinstwatkinst Member Posts: 119
    Actually I own a toyota - have owned one previous to this one which was a total wreck and complete disaster.

Sales stats as proven by GM and Ford mean nothing if your discounting and offering lots of promotional deals to move product. Nor does it reflect on product quality or owner satisfaction.

And yes a brand is 100% perception backed up with some truth. It's not a secret nor is it rocket science to say that Toyota's reputation is not what it once was.
  • Options
    >The data from the EDR was corrupted by the crash.

Was that in the news somewhere?

• Options
    Yes you hit the nail on the head. GM's and Ford's and Chrysler's sales were absolutely a reflection of how the public perceived them. From the 80's to this year all three have lost massive market share to Toyota and others. Ford appears to have regenerated a little spark, GM seems like it's stabilized at a sustainable level and Chrysler may not be long for this world.

Despite your beliefs and feelings nothing like this is occuring chez-Toyota.

According to Edmunds herein,
    The Camry is the No 1 model in the US for 2009.
    The Corolla is the No 1 small car model for 2009...again.
    The Corolla nameplate passed the Accord nameplate for No 2 auto overall.
    The Prius is...well ...the future;c.f. today's NAIAS
    The Tacoma owns the small truck market
    More actual buyers purchase the Highlander/RX crossovers twins than any other models from any other maker.
    AND
    Toyota has the strongest financial position of any maker.

Now as of today it has taken another leadership step with the presentation at the NAIAS. The presentation today wasn't about the new concept Prius that might arrive soon. Look at the paragraph subjects and count. The presentation laid out the future direction over the next 10-20 yrs.

The electification of vehicles will be used in a variety of modes.
    Fuel cell options will be implemented where they make sense.
    Implicit is that petro-fuels will remain a significant source of power but it will strongly de-emphasized.
  • Options
    You're the one claiming there's nothing to be salvaged. I asked for a link.
    Why the disrespectful, ridiculing type of post?
    If you don't actually have a source, just say so. Thanks. :blush:

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    just another example of the state of the product quality? ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Toyota has the strongest financial position of any maker.

So Toyota has a lot in common with Walmart. :P
  • Options
    ?? and...?
  • Options
    Here is a pretty graphic account of those people's last moments.

Scars from crash remain raw
    Santee wreck that killed 4 is still haunting witnesses

Witnesses said the car jumped a curb, smashed through a wooden fence, hit an embankment, rocketed into the air again, flipped, flipped again, caught fire and came to a stop in the bed of the San Diego River.

Valencia, an off-duty sheriff’s deputy, jumped out of his car and into the smoke. The 2009 Lexus now looked like a battered clunker, he said. Flames licked the tires. He tugged on Mark Saylor’s blue shirt.

“Hey, wake up. Wake up!” Valencia yelled.

He looked at the other bodies in the car. He remains burdened by what he saw. That’s no way, he says, to remember people, even if they were strangers.

He reached through the broken windows and tried to pull the bodies out, but they were wedged too tightly under the crushed roof. The heat from the flames forced him back.

“I felt completely helpless,” Valencia said. “I had no fire extinguisher, no tools, no radio.”

He ran back to the street and was surprised to see about 30 people standing at the intersection. Many snapped photos with their cell phones.

Why weren’t they helping, he thought.

A man used a baby blanket to try to snuff out small brush fires from the car debris. The soot made it hard to breathe.

Murphy had stopped by the side of the road, but now wanted so badly to drive away. It was too much. But she also wanted to tell law enforcement officials what she saw.

“It was like a nightmare you had to be awake for,” she said.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/dec/20/scars-crash-remain-raw/

This more what you would rather see posted, than where are the diesel cars?
  • Options
    I'm not surprised the "black box" didn't have information for Toyota to get from their proprietary system and extraction tools. It's sort of like the kid throwing the baseball bat into the weeds in the woods next to the vacant lot after he hit the ball through the window of the house across the street and the owner is standing there asking, "Who broke this window." :blush:

Of course the kid can always claim it was the extra floor mat that did it.

• Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    So last time I checked this thread, it was discussing how great the Mazda5 is as a people mover. Now its bash Toyota and some poor Toyota salesmen is left to defend the brand.

Are we waiting for Toyota to declare bankruptcy?

Are we waiting for more recalls?

Or are we just waiting to see if they develop a new innovation?

I personally don't think taking a car with a full powertrain and adding a second full powertrain is all that innovative, but the public likes it and that is what's important.

I miss the 1991-1995 MR2 Turbo with the t-tops. Those were a hoot.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I miss the 1991-1995 MR2 Turbo with the t-tops. Those were a hoot.

Oh man, now were talking. I used to participate in SCCA Solo II events in the late 90's. We had a young kid that had a '92 or so MR2 turbo that had some aftermarket turbo upgrades. Wow, that thing was quick, sounded cool to. You could always here the wastegate or pop off valve making it's poosh sound.

He was always one of the quickest through the course, even when vette's would show up. Those small cars like Mr2s, and Miata's had a big advantage due to their small size on a tight course.

One of these days I'd be fun to pick up a used MR2 or Miata, put some money in it and hit the track. Good times.
  • Options
    Blame the Lexus dealer ....

...then look inside yourself. Is this where you have decended? You may be below pond scum.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    from my pov, it's the 'nothing to see here, move on' posts that kind of aggravate me.
    they are arrogant.
    got a ride in my sister's prius, 33 mpg average. Awesome!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    plymouth1plymouth1 Member Posts: 14
    Prius and Awesome never go together.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    really sucks now. It's a never-ending cascade of schlock, interspersing Toyota-bashing with kdh's absurdly rosy Toyota-love. Neither really tells the story of anything. This is what made the GM thread so boring last year.

These are two of the largest five automakers in the world, folks. What they are doing is so much bigger than a [non-permissible content removed]-kicker war between the bashers and the lovers.

Will Whitacre overstay his welcome, and will he ever rethink the wisdom of keeping four brands in North America? Will Akio Toyoda's ascent change the direction of the company's boring product in the next few years as he insists it will?

The talk of the early 90s Mister Two's has me waxing nostalgic too....

I see that Ford got BOTH North American Car of the Year AND North American Truck of the Year. While everyone is in here trying to out-shout each other about whether Toyota or GM (or VW) has 10 more annual sales, Ford is quietly going to make off with the market....using INNOVATION rather than COST-CUTTING as its secret ingredient.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Ford is quietly going to make off with the market

And I love it. I keep thinking I should sell my Ford stock and it keeps on going up. It is the brightest spot in my 401K. Toyota is boring and whenever you suggest they come out with something really innovative like a diesel PU truck, you get slammed by the diesel haters on the thread. Or called names for posting facts about Toyota that are not pleasant.

So what you are seeing is the GM of Japan going the same route that led the largest automaker in the World into bankruptcy. Toyota just has a little more savings. Won't last long with many losing years like the last one.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Toyota is boring and whenever you suggest they come out with something really innovative like a diesel PU truck, you get slammed by the diesel haters on the thread

Toyota IS boring and has cost-cut WAY beyond where it should have stopped, but posting soap-opera-like accounts of the feelings of witnesses to a tragic crash from months back, even if it DID involve a Toyota, doesn't help, gagrice.

As for this energetic crusade for diesel you are waging on the boards, I think you have to be realistic and understand that unless one of the Big 6 has a sudden and massive change of heart, diesels are not going to arrive at widespread acceptance in America any time soon, and that's not something you can lay solely at Toyota's door. Ford, GM, Honda, all have backed off their diesel plans in the last six months. I think maybe electric powertrains stole the limelight or something, but the emissions challenges, the costs, and the lack of acceptance of diesel caused them to make eminently logical decisions in light of their market. Again, NOT something you can lay solely at Toyota's door.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)