Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    mking10mking10 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had problems with the anti-lock brakes. My dash light stays on and I am trying to figure out what may be causing the problem in my 91 Explorer.
  • Options
    mazman1mazman1 Member Posts: 229
    How do you know that the radiator fluid is leaking into the oil? Is there oil floating on the top of the radiator reserve tank? If it is, the engine may be fine, but the radiator(which is a 2 stage radiator with tranny fluid coils running thru it) might have a leak internally.

pls let me know.
  • Options
    bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    Ford dealer added a yellow die to radiator coolant 2,700 miles ago. This die can be seen with a black light. My current oil level is approximately 2 quarts over maximum in engine, yellow die is visually seen on oil dipstick which has begun to pit and rust. Coolant loss between current oil change is approximately 2 quarts at this time. No black light needed to see die. No trace of coolant in transmission fluid, nor is there any visual trace of oil in radiator.

Thanks for response, any idea what's going on?
  • Options
    mannino44mannino44 Member Posts: 3
    Thank's for the responses , I have changed the radiator hoses, antifreeze, but not the hoses going to the heater core. Yes I have always had this problem from the first winter. If Ford has replaced the heater cores with bigger ones, maybe this is all the heat I am going to get. In response to steering problems I haven't had any.Does anyone else that owns a 93 explorer have the same problems?
  • Options
    mannino44mannino44 Member Posts: 3
    You had your thermostat replaced and it seemed to work for you. Is it still working. I have the same exact problem and have replaced it three times. still very little heat. I have trailer towing package and maybe that is why it run cooler. please update me
  • Options
    Well, if u see yellow dye in your dipstick, and you see rust, your engine is surely trashed. I wonder whether those fools that built your 2nd engine really gave u a new engine or rebuit your original....maybe short a gasket or with an out of spec part. The fact that 2 quarts of tranny fluid/water are now in your engine is very very bad news.

I'd say that since it is under warranty, Ford should buy the vehicle back from u and you should get a BRAND NEW TRUCK. I'd give a call to an attorney before talking about this with the dealer, to protect your rights.

Good luck. Don't let Ford pee on you.
  • Options
    bri66bri66 Member Posts: 220
    Engine replacement has manufacture tag date of March 2000. Originally purchased Explorer in December 1999. Way too many quality problems after engine replacement, missing motor mount nut, no fluid in power steering reservoir, busted tail light, and scratches from hood removal and very poor workmanship for scratches and chipped paint everywhere. Doesn't seem to be a problem from other Explorers that I have seen or heard of. Must be just lucky or something. No transmission problems or fluid missing at this time, only anti-freeze in oil. Transmissions seem to be hot item on Explorers. Anyone else have similar problem with coolant?
  • Options
    pbp06pbp06 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94. I had the trans rebuilt at 100k and the shop that did the service recommended I replace the thermostat with a motorcraft brand part due to the fact that the trans would mysteriously downshift out of OD at turnpike speed in the cold of the morning. I thought he was just blowing me off but it cured it. 36k miles later and it hasn't happened since. Interesting side effect prior to this the temp gage never came up into the bar area. Now it comes about a quarter way and has yet to ever overheat. 137k and still rolling. Awesome fix for less than $5.
  • Options
    christianb10christianb10 Member Posts: 2
    This is my first time posting a note to Edmunds. I own a 1999 Explorer XLT AWD, SOHC V6. I ourchased it based on my research in Consumer Reports, owners, and on how it racks up with insurance. I traded in a 1995 Chevy Blazer LS 4x4 just as the engine light was blinking--it was off as I pulled in the dealer. Needless to say, I thought I made a wise choice for $30K--WRONG!!! In a few months, the recalls started and haven't stopped. Mine too was recently stalling and I already had the tensiors in the motor changed twice--still doing that diesel sound. The 30,000 mile tune-up fixed the stalling (a few of you experienced) and the cruise control that hasn't worked right since I bought it. But one week after the service, my cruise control goofed again--the light cut on, but wouldn't engage. Then, I pressed the off button, but it engaged on its own and wouldn't disengage. I pressed the brakes, nothing! In fact, my motor down-shifted to compensate for the lost speed and kept speeding up!!! For what seemed an eternity but only 5-6 seconds, I fought with my truck to stop. I got it down to 35 miles an hour and it disengaged at that point. Took it to the dealer and have been raising hell since. I have over 2 1/2 pages of repairs/service/recalls in the dealer's computer database, but that it only for one year. The Ford online service sent me some archive info, and it goes back to right after I bought it in April '99.
    Everyone here having problems should not have to, period. For my money spent I expect a car that can last till 100,000 at a reasonable cost. I don't have that. I am fighting with Ford to get an extended waranty or a Vehicle Assist into another vehicle, like a Taurus. I am this close to getting an Outback, and may do it regardless of what Ford does. They have lost my confidence and I can't afford this beast after my warranty is up.
  • Options
    christianb10christianb10 Member Posts: 2
    This is my first time posting a note to Edmunds. I own a 1999 Explorer XLT AWD, SOHC V6. I purchased it based on my research in Consumer Reports, owners, and on how it racks up with insurance. I traded in a 1995 Chevy Blazer LS 4x4 just as the engine light was blinking--it was off as I pulled in the dealer. Needless to say, I thought I made a wise choice for $30K--WRONG!!! In a few months, the recalls started and haven't stopped. Mine too was recently stalling and I already had the tensiors in the motor changed twice--still doing that diesel sound. The 30,000 mile tune-up fixed the stalling (a few of you experienced) and the cruise control that hasn't worked right since I bought it. But one week after the service, my cruise control goofed again--the light cut on, but wouldn't engage. Then, I pressed the off button, but it engaged on its own and wouldn't disengage. I pressed the brakes, nothing! In fact, my motor down-shifted to compensate for the lost speed and kept speeding up!!! For what seemed an eternity but only 5-6 seconds, I fought with my truck to stop. I got it down to 35 miles an hour and it disengaged at that point. Took it to the dealer and have been raising hell since. I have over 2 1/2 pages of repairs/service/recalls in the dealer's computer database, but that it only for one year. The Ford online service sent me some archive info, and it goes back to right after I bought it in April '99.
    Everyone here having problems should not have to put up with them, period. For my money spent I expect a car that can last till 100,000 at a reasonable cost. I don't have that, no matter how many times they fix it for free. I am fighting with Ford to get an extended waranty or a Vehicle Assist into another vehicle, like a Taurus. I am this close to getting an Outback, and may do it regardless of what Ford does. They have lost my confidence and I can't afford this beast after my warranty is up.
  • Options
    njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Member Posts: 185
    Dear Christian, it must be something with the 1999 models (sarcasm). I too, was an owner of a 1999 Exploder. I traded a 1997 XLT for that, figuring I was getting married and based on my good experience witht the '97, this vehicle would be 2 years newer. Well, at the age of 26, I would easily say that was the worst decision I ever made. The truck was in the shop 15 times in 14 months for repairs (3 trips in addition for maintenance). You name it, this truck had the problem. Ball joints, defective windshield, broken horn, warped rotors on front brakes, broken suspension assemblies, there were more problems, but I think the trauma of it all has been blocked by my brain.

The kicker which made me dump the truck was that the steering would make a clunk and the truck would veer off course. After two trips to the dealer in a week, their being unable to "duplicate the problem", a near fistfight with the sales manager, and a threat of a lawsuit should a mechanical failure lead to a crash, this truck was replaced with a 2000 Explorer XLS for trade plus $3500 (as loaded as an XLS can be). I can say I only miss the extra power on occasion (only has the OHV engine) and the CD changer. Other than that, good luck getting something out of Ford, they are a real pain to deal with after they have your hard-earned money.

NOW, my story...Drove from Central NJ to Albany this past weekend, averaging 70-75mph. No blowouts on my Firestone Wilderness ATs (made in Canada), no rollovers.

PS...Anyone see the story on NBC network news last week where they blew out tires on an Explorer at 50 and 70 mph? Without over-reaction by the driver, the truck coasted to a stop without any incidents. So much for the imminent rollover theory. I think the warning sticker should read..."HIGHER ROLLOVER RISK IF DRIVEN BY OVER-REACTIVE, INEXPERIENCED DRIVERS WHO DRIVE THEIR 2 AND A HALF TON SUV LIKE IT IS A MAZDA MIATA"
  • Options
    seacrowseacrow Member Posts: 22
    I have posted here a few times about my 98 Explorer XLT and the problems I have had with it. I have always had excellent and very responsive service from the dealer. They have fixed all of the problems every time. However, at 35,500 miles, I was following my wife home and noticed that the brake lights were not working. I gave the car a good once over the next day and took note of any problems for the next trip to the dealer. My list included: broken front door handle trim (3rd time), passengers side window goes up crooked (3rd time), brake lights inoperative without stomping the brake pedal to the floor as hard as possible (1st time), anti theft light flickering eradically (1st time), auto lock not working as a result of brake lights (1st time), loud rear suspension groan over slight bumps (3rd time), and the timing chain tensioner noise seems to be reappearing though not as bad (2nd time). My dealer has always been able to fix the problems for sometimes months before reappearing. Except of course the new problems. My wife and I argued about the extended warranty, I thought we did not need one and she thinks we do. She may be right. I took it in on the 23rd of Oct. I told my once excellent service writer about the problems I noticed. He looked at me cross-eyed. I got pissed off and said fix it or I will begin arbitration. He said I have no grounds for arbitration. I said ok but I do have grounds to have a few giant lemons airbrushed down the sides of this car. It got ugly for a few minutes. He apologized for being in a bad mood and said he would do whatever he could to help. I haven't heard from them for over a week now. This is the longest it has taken to fix anything on this car. I am gonna call Ford about this. I own a 99 F-150 and a 2000 Econoline that have been excellent. I would be happy with a free or discounted extended warranty.

A few months ago all was well. How quickly things can change.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about that man.. sounds like somebody put a curse on you.

BTW, the taillight problem is an easy fix. The module is an electrical switch which is open when the brake is in the rest position and closed when you push the pedal off the rest area. Its an easy fix to replace the module.

I would only get the extended warr. if you plan to keep the truck for 5 or more yrs. Otherwise, I'd put the money in the stock market.

Best of luck. Don't let Ford get away with anything. I would not drive it off their lot or pay for anything until everything has been addressed. (Leaving closes the R.O.#)
  • Options
    mikenohmikenoh Member Posts: 6
    I think I've seen earlier posts on this but my rear wiper on my '98' XLT is frozen again doing nothing. I've picked it up moved it around, lubed the track it sits on --nothing. Is this common problem?
    Stalling; sitting at a light waiting to turn left against traffic, start my turn, get into the other lane, it stumbles and almost dies. Had problems in this past like this with GM products but this is a first for this XLT. Any opinions/suggested would be appreciated.
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    My 98 XLT 4x4 SOHC had the stalling problem exactly as you describe. At times it would even stall out, requiring a quick shift to "N" and restart to get out of harms way. The knuckleheads at ford never did fix it. Had it up to 36k miles and two years. Dumped it at a loss. Good luck.
  • Options
    sadatxsadatx Member Posts: 70
    Hi everyone,

I just bought a 98 4wd EB explorer last week. Just yesterday, I heard a knocking noise coming from the engine(i think). Now when I drive the car, the knocking noise is always there. Man, I just bought the car a week ago with 23k miles. Any idea what this might be? I hope it's not serious. i still have the balance of the factory warranty. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    Hi again,

Would anyone know if I cancel the purchase of an extended warranty? I bought the extended warranty today. I really want to cancel it because i still have the manuf. warranty for another six months. I might purchase it then. Please help!!
  • Options
    weslwesl Member Posts: 53
    Mazman1:
    I realize that the temptation to "not pay for anything" is great when dealing with an unreliable car, but still continue to make the payments. Why do you want to ruin your credit and have a lemon of a car to boot? Later, Wes.
  • Options
    mazman, I plan on keeping the Explorer as long as possible. I would like to wear out a car instead of trading every three years or so. We really like the Explorer even with the hiccups. I think the brake light failure really got me going. Cars have had brake lights for at least 75 years. It's one system that should be perfected.

mikenoh, the stalling problem in 98s is the cavitation of the fuel pump inside the tank. There is a TSB with a new fuel pump design that fixes it for good. My rear wiper froze a few times when I first bought mine. I moved it around a few times and it has not done it again in over a year. You may have a bad switch.

Got the Explorer back on Halloween. My threat must have worked. they fixed everything. The service writer said they checked for every service message and made sure it was done. They ordered all new door handle trim and realigned the door handles so the trim should not break again. The brake light switch failed and caused the anti-theft light and auto lock to fail. The brake light switch failure was the first real problem with this car. All other problems were a direct result of hurried design. Everything is fixed and I have Michelins now. I am gonna buy an extended warranty and soldier on.
  • Options
    swn1swn1 Member Posts: 27
    I have written about my '99 XLT here many times. The most recent was the engine knock on the first start of the day. The so called latest and greatest tensioners were installed prior to this to get rid if the diesel sound which they did, so far. The shop foreman had no answers for the knock so he called Ford Engineering(an oxymoron is there ever was one) who told him it might be the lash adjusters on the OHC as they had a few other similar complaints. The parts are in and scheduled to be replaced the 15th, will let you all know. Also, has anyone tried to order the front contoured mudflaps for what must be 99 out of 100 combinations for XLT's: 4 Door with running boards, without wheel lip mouldings. I have been trying for a year and it seems no part number exists although the part does. I've tried two different dealerships who come up with the same result, empty. Ford Customer Dis-service called me about my numerous complaints with this junker and she had no answer for the flaps other than to say to keep working with the dealer. She apologized for taking longer than the 3 days they promise for e-mail responses but, in her words, they have been up to their necks in e-mails. Wonder why. Of course their only purpose is to try and take the fire out of the bellies of us dissatisfied owners in hopes it will stop with them. I as much told her that and that I know there is nothing she can do for me and I don't like to dance. I also told her I was aware that once my vehicle hit 36,000 miles in another 6,000, Ford will tell me to kiss off and pay the bills. She didn't have much too say other than Ford wants to restore my confidence in them so I said show me. Anyone who is not registered on the owner sight at FORD.com should do so and use the e-mail to register complaints. You may not get anywhere but at least let them know why you won't buy their junk anymore. They hate when you mention Toyota is a far superior product and worth an extra $10,000 for the quality Ford sells but Toyota has.
  • Options
    masonmimasonmi Member Posts: 148
    Seems like you have had a lot of problems with your explorer, though you mentioned you have Michelin tires now? how do you like them? and do they give a smooth quiet ride?
  • Options
    tomtwilitetomtwilite Member Posts: 12
    bought new in 96, overall, could have been better experience. i drove it for two years marvelling at how cool the temp gauge read, even while towing and also wondered why i got below average mileage. read an auto q and a in newspaper that mentioned notorious bad ford thermostats, motor never gets to peak operating temps thus low mileage. ford has service bulletin but u never know unless ask. had it replaced, of course $50 deductible so i broke even, temp went up and so did mileage. TIRES-check this out--I replaced my goodyear wranglers at 60k with wider 255x70x15 dunlop touring all season. more conventional tread, much softer ride, much better handling and even a modest increase in mpg. all in all like roominess for 6-2 height and hauled lots of heavy stuff. but, 3 radios, front axle, egr valve and a couple of 0-2 sensors, center brake lite and more annoying little stuff makes it hard to buy u s a again. the wifes 93 acura legend with 85k still as tight as new; runs like a top with very few problems
  • Options
    All of the problems with the Explorer have all been pretty low on the importance scale. Until the failed brake lights. We have never been stranded in it anyway. The Michelin tires are 200% better than the Headstone's I had. The recall was a frustrating process but once the Michelins were on I was glad to have them. Mine are X Radial LTs. I bought them at Sams for 86.99 ea. They are six ply truck tires but you would never know it. Smooth ride, quiet, and better handling. The LTX-MSs would have been a little smoother but not worth the extra 25 bucks over the X Radial LTs. I bought a 2000 Econoline van that came with LTX MSs. I think I am a Michelin customer for life.
  • Options
    Anybody else have a seatbelt failure? My 2000 sport had a seatbelt buckle break last weekend.
  • Options
    devilsadvoc8devilsadvoc8 Member Posts: 5
    When is the Ford Expire; Ford Expiration; Ford Escape Ex-convict edition and the much awaited Ford Exploder going to be available at the dealerships? I am glad that the Ford Escort Service has been replaced by Ford No Focus. Its still a Ford. When is the commercial for the Ford Exploder with the "Tragedy" song from the BeeGees going to be aired? Mercedes already has the "Staying Alive" currently airing on TV. What about reviving the successful ad "Have we killed enough lately?" Or Fordgot "Quality is JOB1" or maybe "Recall is JOB1". A few more suggestions, "Built Ford Cheap"; what about "Ford Guaranteed to be Recalled". I am sure your executives are very busy thinking of other repulsive ways of building inferior products at inflated prices. I know you won't be looking at tires to cut costs, at least for the time being. Please feel free using any of the slogans I have suggested, after all it has been a long time since I have heard of truth in advertising especially from the Ford Recall Motor Company.

Will the mileage be 5 city, 8 highway for the Ford Expiration? I really like to pollute the environment and I know your company makes some of the best polluting vehicles regardless of what your marketing/PR people say. Will I need several trips to the dealer because of sticking cruise control; steering wheel and rear axle coming off? I think Hyundai never had those type of excitement. I really have an enormous amount of time visiting bad dealers. I definitely enjoy the lies and deceit they try to pull. That is why I choose Ford products for my transportation needs when I have a great need for life disruptions.
  • Options
    Can someone please adivise me. Here's my situation:

Bought a 1998 4WD EB Explorer with 22k miles on it last week. 6 days later, a knocking noise is coming from the engine when I start the vehicle and when I accelerate. From reading posts, it seems like it the timing belt tensioners. I've notified the service dept about this but they say it's not the problem. They can't seem to find the problem. They are telling me that they will replace the engine with a new one.

Should I go with the new engine? Will this depreciate the value of the car b/c of the new engine? The car only has 22k miles. How will I know if the engine is new or used? I wish I could return the car.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.
  • Options
    Why don't you just return the piece of junk and get another. Why complicate your life with something that will never be corrected. Ford service usually makes more problems than they fix, and they usually do a shoddy job of it. If you only had it for 1 week, there are laws protecting the consumer against this. New York has these type of laws... your state probably does too.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Hi Mazman1,

I would love to return the car, but when I told them that I want to return it, they said that was impossible because it was a 'done deal.' Today will be the 11th day I've owned the car. It's been at the service dept since Saturday(4 days ago). How should I pursue this legally. Or is it to late to pursue legal action? This is my first car purchase. Thanks for all your help.
  • Options
    Find out if your car will qualify under your state lemon laws. Most lemon laws require you to have the dealer have four repair attempts, then make sure you have every single visit and I mean every single visit have paperwork written up by the dealer service advisor. Mazman1 is right, Ford usually makes more problems than they fix. You have to be tenacious in fighting this, because Ford and their dealers will always come up with something to argue against your claim.
  • Options
    Thanks a million. But when you say four repair attempts, would this be for the same problem or 4 different problems. I appreciate your help.
  • Options
    Its 4 attempts to fix the same problem. Be careful, because the shady service writer fellows at the dealer know this and if they word the complaint differently each time, they can make it look like 4 different problems.

I also don't think you have to go that far. I would talk to a lawyer before doing anything else. You may be able to say to the dealer, "hey I took this off your lot a week ago and now it needs a new engine!.. You cant tell me that they did not know about it". It also should be a warranty item 100% covered.

Talk to an attorney first.
  • Options
    finbobfinbob Member Posts: 2
    Go to this webpage for all your Explorer questions:
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php

This board has thousands of members and chances are they have heard of your problems.
  • Options
    4 repair attempts for the same problem. Since you just recently bought it, maybe you should see what other faster remedy you can seek from the dealer. An attorney might cost some money, but you may get a faster response than relying on normal channels,i.e. state agencies or manufacturer arbitration to make your case. Regardless, you would still have to make trips to the dealer to have the problem checked out and/or fixed. Then, you might as well have the trip documented by paperwork. Good Luck.
  • Options
    Well, the brakelights failed again yesterday with my wife driving the Explorer. I took it away from her and gave her my F-150 to drive. I drove the Explorer all day today with the intermittent brake light failure and it stalled again.

I took it back to the dealer, called Ford, and I am applying for arbitration. I so vehemently protected the Explorer for so long here. I just gave up. I still like the truck, I just can't take the repairs anymore. My service writer printed out our history for me. 2 pages long.

We'll see what happens.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your grief, but the taillight problem should be an easy fix. Its a simple switch, and it is an easy swap out. Maybe there is a short or a loose wire in the electrical system. I had a friend with a Villager, and she kept blowing out the brakelight bulbs about every couple of weeks. It was traced to a problem in the fuse box, which had to be completely swapped out. I think the dealer should be able to fix your problem. The stalling problem can be caused by so many things, such as the fuel pump, the distributor pack, a bad spark plug wire..etc.
    Good luck man.
  • Options
    The problem with the brakelights is that the problem does not happen all of the time. When I look at the lights in storefronts etc., they are fine. A few miles down the road, somebody will lock up their brakes behind me and flip me off. The dealer replaced the switch once already. As for the stalling, I have the new fuel pump, I have a PCM update but I still have the stall. the rear suspension noise is back with and louder than ever. I also still have a slight timing chain rattle. The drivers seat started rocking again, the passengers front door window is messed up again. All of the things have happened at least once and each time the dealer fixed them only to have the same repair done a few days to a couple of weeks later. They are out of answers, they said I have a good case for arbitration. They have the Explorer again and do not know waht to do about the brake lights. I like the truck and I like the dealer but I don't like to take it in over and over again for the same things.
  • Options
    I bet that Ford did not set the senitivity of the brake light switch correctly. When you are stopped, you exert a different force than you do when you are driving. The dealer can do a much better job at this. Also, have you checked for contunuity?? a wire might be contacting metal (acting as a ground) when you drive and when you go over a bump, it breaks the connection. In my '94, i had the door locks go up and down automatically when I would drive or make turns and Ford never found out why. We rewired the whole darn system to fix it.

My front seat rocks back and forth, and I guess I am used to it, because all of the bolts are tight and there is really nothing more I can tighten.
    Good luck. Buy a Yoda.
  • Options
    For those with the knocking sound hold on a few days and I will let you know if what they are doing to my '99 XLT does the trick. Mine too knocked after having the latest tensioners replaced. The shop foreman called FORD Engineering and they suggested replacing the lash adjusters which take the place of pushrods on the OHC engine. Of course if you don't have the OHC then it's not the problem. Stay tuned. I would also suggest everyone go to the Ford owners connection website(FORD.com) and register your junk. Everytime you take it in for a problem, e-mail the owner site and you will have your documentation as each e-mail is responded to and given a tracking number.Plus almost everytime you do, the dealership gets a call about your problem. If you're on good terms with the dealership, you might mention to them you complained to FORD about the vehicle and not the dealer as sometimes the story gets twisted and the dealer might think you're complaining about them. Good Luck to all. Don't give up.That's what they want.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if 13/16 is the proper MPG for a 1998 Explorer EB 6 cylinder? I didn't know that 6 cyliner was so bad on gas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
  • Options
    devilsizerdevilsizer Member Posts: 1
    We have no dash lights and no tail lights, only after installing cd player. We have brake lights and back up lights. we have remove cd harness,and still have problem.. fuses on fuse panel all check out good,are there any other fuses to look for?? Please send help soon......
  • Options
    I bet the dash fuse is no good....also, have you checked the dash fuse/taillight fuse in the fuse box in the engine compartment?

Good luck
  • Options
    Your mileage for a SOHC v6 engine on level ground should be between 15-20 mpg.. with 87 octane gas. Keep in mind that short trips, lots of hills kill gas mileage, as does excessive idling.

Just because you truck gets 13 mpg does not mean something is wrong.

Good luck.
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Had a 97 SOHC v-6 that never got better than 14mpg. Ticked me off. Expected better when I bought it as well. Came to realize shouldn't expect much out of Ford.
  • Options
    rpeifferrpeiffer Member Posts: 3
    It's great to hear that we aren't the only ones having problems with Ford and the timing chain tensioners. We have a 97 Explorer EB with the 4.0L V6. At 12k miles, we heard the typical diesel sound and took it into the dealer we purchased it from. They replaced the timing chain tensioner assembly. The problem went away and started again at 36k miles. We took it to a different Ford dealership and they replaced the assembly again. Two weeks ago, the truck died while on the road. Immediately restarted but ran very rough and sounded terrible! I limped into the Ford dealership to have it looked at and they informed me the engine needs to be replaced due to... guess what? Of course, the timing chain tensioner!!! The truck has 55K on it at this point and even though we have no warranty on it anymore, we still believe Ford should pick up the tab on this engine replacement, since both times the tensioner was fixed it WAS under warranty. Three strikes, you're out!! Anyone agree?
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. Now I'm getting 12 in the city and 14 on the highway. The MPG was a lot better before I got the remanufactured engine. Now the ride is extremely rough. Also when I accelerate, it sounds horrible. Any ideas on what may be causing this. I didn't have these problems when I had the original engine. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Dump the piece of junk before it gives you ulcers!
  • Options
    Believe me, I want to dump the piece of junk. How much of a loss do you think I'll take? I've had the car less four weeks. Two of those weeks it was in the service dept. It's been so hard for me to think straight. I thought I would be better off with this car because it was newer with low mileage. Now I wish I had my 94 accord back.
  • Options
    Just last weekend I received my remanufactured engine. Lucky for me, it was covered under warranty. I would make Ford pay for it. Be tenacious and don't give up. Otherwise, It's going to cost you about $2,500 to fix (parts+labor). Not to make you worry, but ever since I got my new engine, my MPG has dropped, the ride is really rough. And it sounds horrible when I accelerate. Most likely, I will get rid of this truck. Probably within the next month. I'm just worried about the loss that I'm going to take.
    Good Luck.
  • Options
    Just to let you all know I had the lash adjusters replaced on my '99 XLT and this eliminated the knock or tapping sound in the engine. BUT, now the dieseling sound has returned. It never ends. Since buying this thing last August I have had the following complaints or parts replaced: Dirt in the paint, hub squeal-seals replaced twice-still squeals, sway bar bushings replaced,sway bar replaced,rear shocks replaced, rotors turned, pads replaced, rotors replaced, rotors turned, pads replaced, timing tensionsers replaced, lash adjusters replaced, belt tensioner replaced,roof rack rail replaced, wiper switch replaced.I'm sure I've missed a few. Here's a new one, if the vehicle shudders and shakes from a dead stop, there is a fix to adjust the speed sensors on the automatic 4 wheel drive clutches, but if you don't complain they won't tell you about it.
  • Options
    Speak with an Attorney before you sell the truck. Ford has to fix all the problems... unfortunately, the mpg is not a drivability issue, so they may not address that. I would concentrate on the ride, handling, accelleration as issues and make sure they write up your complaints the exact same way 4 times...