Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover LR2

Comments

• Options
    serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    If you're smart, you hit the deer. You swerve and whack the ditch, or the tree on the side of the road (which a lot of morons do), your insurance covers it under the collision portion. If you hit the deer, it's covered under comprehensive. I'll hit the deer any day unless the "swerve" is mild. I "get it," sport. I just am smarter because I realize that swerving my Trooper is a whole lot less of a realistic option than swerving my 540i.

If your theory (and CR's) was right, my insurance rates on the Trooper would have reflected CR's fears long ago. But that didn't happen. ;)
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you're smart, you hit the deer.

If you're smart, you stomp on the brakes first. :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Will be interesting to see if VDC software change and/or suspension change is needed to fix the tippy behavour.

We have deer in our area too - perhaps a "deer alert" device is appropiate?
  • Options
    barryh_gegbarryh_geg Member Posts: 5
    Based on your comments, you should definitely not buy an LR2. You've twisted parts of the "first drive" article to paint an artificially negative impression. The exact quote regarding the wheel lifting is:

"The vehicle includes electronic stability control (ESC) with roll stability control as standard equipment. The latter is supposed to trigger at a certain body angle and prevent a rollover. However, in a run through our avoidance-maneuver course at 53 mph, the vehicle momentarily lifted both right-side wheels several inches off the ground. That did not happen in any other runs, but because we think that no vehicle should ever display this behavior, we've rated the LR2's emergency handling as poor. The vehicle's fastest successful run through the course was a decent 51.5 mph. In 2003 we experienced a similar behavior with the previous generation BMW X5 3.0i. A software change fixed the problem."

You'll note they say "a" run - meaning one of multiple runs they put the LR2 through. They go on to speak well of the car. The Suzuki reference is yours and yours alone. Between that, your view of Tata acquiring Land Rover and the LR2s gas mileage it's obviously not the car for you.
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Just face the fact that the LR2 is not for you. Go buy a CR-V or a RAV4 as I think that is more in line with your desires.

I have to agree with barry as the way you worded your post was very slanted against the LR2.
  • Options
    jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    Spoken like a true salesman. What was slanted? I merelyquoted the article. YOU are slanted as your sole purpose for being on this board is to HIDE any negtives about the product that YOU SELL. Anyone who listens to what YOU say other than what colors are available next year, is ripe for the plucking.
    I merely quoted the article. Get over it. And again, thanks much for the advice n what to buy. I'll store it in the round file with everything else you say.
    Perhaps you should go SELL one of those cars - you'd probably make more money and have to tell fewer lies.
  • Options
    "We have all had some gliches. All of mine were taken care of with software updates. I have had my LR 2 since May and love it. Wonder why a real test of the LR2 hasn't been done by a major company like Motor Trend. "

Watch for Consumer Report's review n a few months.

Say vinnie, I see you bought a Lincoln MKX. Did u trade your LR2 for it and can u tell us why?
  • Options
    The personal attacks are a bit much to take so we're taking a short break here. We'll be back shortly. Come back calm and rested. :)
  • Options
    Welcome back! I'm expecting kinder gentler discussions. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    Very impressive, what LR's showing on the LR site right now (4/25/08). Only other videos I've seen like that are Subaru marketing videos of a course Subaru built in Flordia to test Forester .vs. other Crossovers against similar nasties (except for deep water fording).
    Also impressive given how much the LR vehicles weigh.
    A pity there did not seem to be any LR2 vehicles in those videos (yet).
  • Options
    47074707 Member Posts: 12
    I went to my dealer for my first inspection and they upgraded the Bluetooth software of my LR2. :D I have a Samsung SPH-a900 cell phone that was working perfectly well with the "old" software but refuses to work with the new one. :mad: The cell phone finds the Land-Rover and the Land-Rover finds the cell phone but the pairing does not occur. :confuse:

I found a list of the cell phones that are supposed to work but my cell phone is not there anymore...it was there a couple of months back. :cry: It is a list however for the UK and Europe and does not include many of the cell phone models that we have here in Canada. Does anybody know of a list of American ( and Canadian ) cell phones that are supposed to work with the new version of the Bluetooth software now instaled in the LR2 ???

Thank you all...
  • Options
    roberto6roberto6 Member Posts: 23
    I had exactly the same problem. My Blackberry 880 was working fine until the delare did a LR Bluetooth update.The phone would pair, I could make calls but they would keep cutting out intermittenlty. Finaly went back to delar last week, talked to the tech and we found out that the update was not loaded properly and it corrupted the Bluetooth module. Delear kept on telling me it was my phone ... not so....

They replaced the Bluetooth mudule with old softeware ( prior to updfate ) and all is werll now.

Here is link to list of phones from LR on their site for NA for LR 2. You can find it on LR.com under owners section - bluyetooth.

http://www.landrover.ca/assets/ca/en/Owners/About/NA_L359_Masterlist_060907_V1.4- - .pdf

One thing I have found about LR22 and Blue tooth is that the dlears not not very much aware of the technology. They have not been properly trained and something like a Bluetooth issue takes a lot of time and they get frustrated.....

I ended up doing all the research myself and then walked them through the process.

Hope this helps ! ps my delaer is in Montreal , Quebec.
  • Options
    47074707 Member Posts: 12
    Hey ! you're probably talking about Scotti. My dealer is in Laval !!!
  • Options
    rverginiarverginia Member Posts: 10
    I took my LR2 HSE in for the first scheduled service at 7,500 miles. While there they told me they would take care of the sunroof issue (they did a total replacement), the seat belt re-routing, and the software update. That is where they found a problem. The car would not take the update and they found a short in the instrument cluster that caused it. A new instrument cluster is on backorder (or as my service advisor said "intergalactic backorder" because thay have absolutely no idea when it will be available. I have a loaner (2007 LR3) until then.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Also, I am having them install the factory Hitch and wiring. Any comments? The accessory guide say's it's a 1 3/4" hitch, but the service advisor says it's a 2". Which is correct?
  • Options
    yed19yed19 Member Posts: 15
    Reading the last few comments, seems funny.

I have had a great experience with the LR2 HSE so far. I bought it in November and will be taking it in for the 6 month interval. I have had it in the shop twice so far in those 6 months (one for the recall on the sunroof, and another as the oil was low). I was told by the service guy to check the oil often... They just refilled the oil. There is no leak or anything though, it was just low... new engine perhaps?

Both times I took in the car, I got a LR3 loaner (which seems kinda like driving a bus, if you ask me) so no real complaints with losing my LR2 for the few hours.

We will see if the software update will fix the problem with the bluetooth not working with my wifes Motorola Q.

I would absolutely recommend this car to anyone who doesn't live more than 100 miles away from a dealer. While you may have to take the car into a dealer mroe often than a Honda, its definately not a bad experience dropping off the LR2 and getting to drive a LR3 for a day.
  • Options
    Please understand - I really like my LR2 and miss driving it. With gas around here (Seattle area) at about $4.25, I traded the loaner LR3 in for a Jag X-Type. Gets much better mileage since I drive 50 miles a day. Service guy says "within thirty days, or so" on the new part.

My bluetooth worked great with my Moto E-815, but not so great with wife's LG-8350. We'll see how that goes.

Good luck on behalf of your instrument cluster. If your advisor tells you they are having trouble "getting the software update to take", beware! (ha)
  • Options
    UPDATE: Since the instrument cluster failure is a lot more widespread than originally thought, the 30 day portion of the lemon law kicked in and my dealer has provided me with a brand new Stornaway Gray LR2 HSE, plus a complementary trailer package and roof rails. Gotta hand it to my dealer, not only did they put me in a loaner for the month, they really came through on the car.
    BTW - Sirius also waived the normal $75 fee to change to a different receiver, as well as the 1 of 3 count for us 'lifers'. Pretty nice! Big plug to Bellevue (WA) Land Rover / Jaguar for their handling of my situation.
  • Options
    arowe1arowe1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife is having the same issue with the warning light for the lighting package coming on. We purchased the LR2 about 2 1/2 months ago and have had the vehicle in the service dept twice to try and fix the problem with no success - although they said they fixed it both times.

The 1st time they said they changed out one complete light assembly, the 2nd trip they said they re-calibrated the system. Maybe 3 times is a charm.

Did you ever get yours fixed? If so, what did they do?

Thanks
  • Options
    brownbag72brownbag72 Member Posts: 6
    I've brought mine in twice. Each time the service department said that they reloaded the software and it should be good to go. But, a few miles later as I'm heading home the warning light comes back on. The dealer told me that if the problem persisted to bring it back in and they would do something that takes about 6 hours. I haven't had the time to do this yet. I am stationed in Germany. So, I have to go to a German LR dealer about 30 minutes from my house. They don't offer loaner cars. And, I don't feel like walking around a mall for 6 hours. I wouldn't mind the lighting problem so much if that warning light would just stop flashing. If your dealer finds a fix, please keep me posted. Thanks.
  • Options
    mikelynchmikelynch Member Posts: 1
    I bought a dealer car LR2 SE and are very unhappy with the front drive seat.
    The front part does not come up and no one over 5-11 could possibly find this comfortable. Will I have to put in 8 way to be able to live with this. I have discovered they only make a LR2 HSE now and it has the 8 way seats. I have a feeling that is a major reason they changed. I am certainly un nerved that I am stuck with this problem
  • Options
    08lr308lr3 Member Posts: 76
    yes, with the HSE change the should have added home link too, in addition to the seat change.
  • Options
    And it aint pretty. The LR2 finished dead last amoung it's competitors, to include Outlander, Gnd Cherokee, Forrester, CX-7, Explorer. Well, EVERYTHING. Biggest reason - Emergency handling. The LR2's wheels left the ground during emergency manuevers and unlike BMW, which several years ago fixed their 'ESC' type software and the problem, Land Rover has said it's CR's fault. Even though AdvanceTrak WITH Roll-Stability Control was on, the wheels came off the ground. If a Mom with kids was driving instead of a trained driver, what might have happened next?

I was blasted for mentioning this a few months ago when CR first mentioned it. SO I expect it will happen again. I had held out hopes that LR would respond as BMW did, since I am or have been interested in possibly buyng an LR2. But this attitude plus fairly dismal (18) mileage reported by CR has turned me off to it.
  • Options
    lnmlnm Member Posts: 13
    I can think of plenty of reasons to not buy an Outlander, Grand Cherokee, Forester, CX-7 and Explorer. That's why I didn't buy those SUVs. You've found your reason to not buy a LR2. Good. Don't buy one.
  • Options
    eyebyteeyebyte Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I’m seriously considering purchasing an LR2 within the next couple of months which means I may end up getting a 2009 model and it looks like they are discontinuing the “SE” version. The differences between the SE and HSE models are neither here nor there to me, with the exception of the rear spoiler.

For some reason I don’t like what it does to the overall look and I was wondering if anybody knew if you can get an HSE without the spoiler, or if they are easily removed without much in the way of a cosmetic “blemish”. Yeah I know this may seem petty to some but if I’m going to pay close to 40,000 for an SUV I’d like have it be the way I want.

Also, I live in Portland OR, and there is only one LR dealership here. Does anybody in this forum have any experience (good or bad) with them, and do they offer loaner cars when you take yours in for service?

Thanks in advance,

-John
  • Options
    lr2rdlr2rd Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2008 LR2 in December and for the first month it was very quite. In January the rear cargo cover started to rattle continuosly when the cover is closed (the cover is covering the area). It does not rattle when open. The dealer has replaced the cover several times over the months and the cover noise keeps returning. We took the cover out for along time and there was no noise. Each new cover is quiet for a while and then the noise returns (only in the closed position). The dealer thought that Land Rover knew about this but they have not offered any solutions other than replacing the cover. It looks like there is a design flaw because all of the replacement covers do the same thing. Several other LR2s have had the same issue.

Has anyone solved this issue with an existing coveror found another way to eliminate the noise?
  • Options
    wrt Portland OR what I've heard/read is the one LR dealer's ok but nothing special. They are downtown and difficult to get to, polite, do not discount much, and don't relish comparing an LR2 to any Subaru (when I asked them on such a comparison, they immediatly broke off communications).
  • Options
    If you look closely at the CU LR2 video you can see the inside rear wheel was lifting just before the front hit the marker cone. Still, that's surprising in a vehicle weighing over 2 tons. Then again, where is the LR2's center of gravity?

The LR2's not the only one CU complained about - the Subaru Outback/Legacy tries to swap tail for front in the same CU test.
  • Options
    roveretteroverette Member Posts: 6
    I've had my LR2 since November 2007. I have 13k miles on it, and it's been perfect to date. Not a single problem. Overall, I average 20.5 mpg. 24mpg when it's strictly freeway. Car has handled great during some severe Florida rainstorms. Ride is very quiet. I would happily suggest this car to anyone who is interested. :)
  • Options
    roberto6roberto6 Member Posts: 23
    I have had my LR2 for a year now and have paired Blackberry 8800 phone and no problems.

Just bought the new Blackberry 9000 Bold and cannot pair it. The blackberry pairing helper does not support the 9000.

Does anyone have a patch for this
  • Options
    bstoeckerbstoecker Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2008 LR2 SE and purchased it when they first came out in 2007. I am at 35,000 now. Overall I have been very pleased with the LR2. But lately an issue has started involving starting the LR2. This always happens after you have been driving around for awhile, but when you go to restart the engine. You put your foot on the break and hit the start button. The engine starts and then dies. You try to start it again and it starts and then dies. After continuing to keep trying and pushing the gas pedel to keep it going, it finally stays running.

I brought this up to the Land Rover dealer and was told that Land Rover is aware of this problem and he called it Vapor Lock. He told me Land Rover does not have a fix to the problem yet and are working on it. Their only help was that I insert the key in and out of the ignition hole a few times to keep resetting the engine. This works only part of the times, but it still happens. So BEWARE!

I would love to hear if more LR2 owners are experiencing this problem.

Thanks
  • Options
    comerbuckcomerbuck Member Posts: 8
    I've got 21,000 on my LR2 and have had the same problem in very hot weather. It is very intermittent ... latest software seemed to help some but I got the same story from my dealer.
  • Options
    mburkelmburkel Member Posts: 1
    I had a software update in August, part of my SE 22.5K scheduled service and was told the update would take care of the warm start in hot temp. problem. I've only seen it twice, but living in Minnesota we don't have that many 95+ degree days, so it's hard to say if it was fixed. The no sound from the stereo problem was supposed to be fixed too, and I haven't seen that since the update.

I have seen a recent increase in my MPG, from 21 to 25 on the highway, at around 75 degrees and 70+ MPH. Not sure if the software update changed anything, or maybe breaking 20K miles made a difference.
  • Options
    akhouryakhoury Member Posts: 1
    i recently bought an unlocked blackberry 9000 bold activated on at&t.

i can pair the phone with the 2008 lr2 and make/receive calls. no patch was needed.

the problem i'm having is when i copy the phone book to the car, only the phone numbers are being copied, not the contact names. so i have no idea who i'm calling or who's calling me.

i've tried several blackberry forums and different bluetooth settings with no luck.

i called landrover direct and spoke to a non-tech support rep who told me that not all blackberry phones are compatible.

how can certain aspects of my phone be compatible and other aspects not?
  • Options
    sixthflicksixthflick Member Posts: 47
    I own a 2008 LR2 SE and am about to dish out $700 big ones for the LR2's Snow Traction System, but started to wonder if it's worth it. First off, it's over $700!!! Secondly, they're only for the front tires, which means you get zilch for the back tires. I live in Upstate NY where we get, on average, 6-12 inches of snowfall per session.

Has anyone had any experience with Land Rover's Snow Traction system yet?
    Is it recommended to go with cheaper chains such as can be found on the Atlantic British Ltd. website?
    Any issues with manufacturer's warranty if I use anything but LR's system?
    Is it better to just buy 4 studded snow tires or just snow tires in general rather than dishing out dinero for chains for this vehicle?
  • Options
    ucla95ucla95 Member Posts: 12
    Do NOT spend $700 for the "snow traction system". That's just a set of snow chains which you could find a non-brand-name set on Ebay for like $100. I just bought a set of snow tires and rims in black chrome PVD for $2200 shipped. You could buy just the snow tires for $700! (tirerack.com)
  • Options
    If you are worried about snow traction, a better buy than the $700 for a set of chains would be a set of Nokian WR or WRG2 tires, which will cost the same (if your tires are brand new, you may get trade in value for them). The Nokians are all season, yet winter rated tires that work very well on snow, ice, and whatever. You can read more about them at canadiandriver.com
  • Options
    Has Land Rover made any comments about possible software changes to minimize the LR2's tendency to lift wheels in hard turns?
    You can see this at Consumers Union site. Land Rover claims hitting a cone caused the tip up, but if you look really closely, you can see the vehicle's lifting its back wheel just before it bumps the cone.

Don't get me wrong - I liked the LR2's layout and feel, but in end passed on it because of limited dealers (1 in our area) and hilly local area that would have wreaked havoc on gas mileage (the upcoming LR hybrid will fix the latter).
  • Options
    ucla95ucla95 Member Posts: 12
    They put a spoiler on the HSE! That's a big change.
  • Options
    Okay, so I'm in agreement about not buying the $700 snow traction system (I just found them online at RoverCity.com for $557 - does that make a difference) and am planning on going with the snow tires.

Any thoughts on the Blizzaks?

Also, I've heard it's best to use steel wheels in lieu of the stock alloy wheels during winter time driving. Only trouble is, I haven't been able to find steel wheels anywhere online for the 2008 LR2 - stock wheels are 18x8.0-in. aluminum alloys. I'd like to get the steel wheels and some snow tires. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Anyone know where I can buy steel wheels for winter driving for my 2008 LR2 18x8.0?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    You won't find 18" steel wheels..

Check out tirerack.com They will have a winter tire/wheel package specifically designed for your car. They will be cheaper alloys, which really is the only option you have. They might even have a 17" tire/wheel pkg that will fit, and be substantially cheaper than 18".

Plus, cheap alloys will look better than steel wheels with covers..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    What size rims and bolting pattern do you buy?
  • Options
    Just went online to tirerack.com as you recommended and this was the response that I received:
    You Selected: 2008 Land Rover LR2 SE

Winter wheels for this vehicle are not available but winter tires can be purchased separately by selecting your size at the right.

Any thoughts? The search results were for the original 235 60R18 18x8.0in wheels.
  • Options
    My I ask where you found the Land Rover steel wheels? I've been trying to find a set online and have had zero luck. I'm trying to fit my 2008 LR2 with the same as what sounds like you already have.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Where did you buy your steel wheels and tire pressure sensors?
    I've been looking online for them and can't find a set of steel wheels that will fit the LR2.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Do the wheels have to be Land Rover specific?

When I got a full size spare to replace the spacesaver one in my minivan, I just got a universal rim that had hole patterns and an off-set to fit. Maybe a call to TireRack or Discount Tire would help narrow your options down.
  • Options
    I checked with Tirerack and they didn't have anything that would fit the bolt pattern on the 2008 LR2 SE. I spoke directly to my LR service guy and he's pricing up a set up the Spare Steel wheels (17 x 7.5 inch) that come standard with the LR2. It's the only thing that I've been able to find. Have to add tire pressure sensors to those wheels to. I'll let everyone know the $$$ when they get back to me.
  • Options
    Make sure you're sitting down when they call you back with the price. Could be ugly. :surprise:
  • Options
    Actually, not too bad gang-
    Steel wheels are $144 each, tire monitors were $59 each. A bit more than a previous post that I found, but not too shabby.
  • Options
    My universal rim (and a used tire to stick on it) came to $54.

Of course, that was back in June, 1999 and I don't have tire pressure monitors. Times change. :)