Options

Chevrolet Malibu vs. Toyota Camry vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Dude . . . . . how can we get back on topic -- perhaps you didn't understand his post . . . He jumped his GM and it literally had sparks flying from underneath it . . . he threw it into reverse at highway speeds. . . . .he took it "rallying." Now, I'm not saying we don't all rally and jump from time to time, but he openly admitted to having taken the spark plug wires off for a week at a time [apparently torturing the engine in a sadistic display of unburnt gasoline and increased toxic emissions]. I can understand the suspension and transmission hanging in there, but how did the catalytic converter ever make it?

Anyone want to buy an 08 Accord . . I'm gett'n me one of them GM's outfits!
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Just remember not everything one prints on the internet is true, even though my car gets 37 miles to the gallon when driving 120 miles per hour and has machine guns built-in to the front tag-bracket.

Oh yeah, it doesn't have to have gasoline to run. It gets excellent mileage on Arby's Jamocha Shakes as well.

;)
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Are they .30's or .50's?
  • Options
    .30 in the front, .50 in the back (the bad guys are usually chasing me so I want the big ones in the back) :).

On a more serious note, I haven't seen the EPA results for the Malibu yet. What are they in comparison with the Accord's 21/31 and 19/29.
  • Options
    Bad! Dunno,but I ain't interested in a car that has the gas cap on the wrong side.
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Per fueleconomy.gov EPA ratings are as follows:
    22/30 4 cylinder
    18/29 6 cylinder (4 speed)
    17/26 6 cylinder (6 speed) Odd how this gets lower MPG's than the 4 speed.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Odd how this gets lower MPG's than the 4 speed

Its a different engine.
  • Options
    mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Does anyone know the following:
    Is the Chevy Malibu LT1 or LT2 comparable to the Honda Accord LX-P automatic? Also, what is the difference between the LT1 and LT2? Thanks.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    The LT1 Malibu is VERY much like an Accord LX-P.

The 2.4L 4-cyl and 4-speed only, cloth seats, 17" chrome wheels, extra small chrome and painted touches outside, power features, and steering wheel audio controls. Then from there, you can option to add a convenience package (remote start, power pedals, and power driver's seat) and a power sunroof.

The LT2 builds from there, starting with the same 2.4L 4-cylinder, but remote start, homelink, dimming mirror, dual lighted visors, power pedals, power driver's seat, leather/suede upholstery, and heated front seats are all standard. Optional from there is an upgraded audio system, sunroof, rear 120V power outlet & rear window shade, AND also the 3.6L V6 package upgrade which includes 18" wheels and a couple of other small things. The LT2 is very comparable to an Accord EX-L.

The basic difference between an LT1 and an LT2 is more standards, the upholstery, and some features on the LT2 not available on the LT1--plus being able to get the V6 option. Leather/suede, upgraded audio, leather steering wheel/shifter, etc. are the main differences between the 2 levels.

Malibu LT1 = Accord LX-P
    Malibu LT2 = Accord EX-L and also EX-L V6
  • Options
    mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Thanks, I appreciate the information. I finally know the main differences between the LT1 and LT2.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. :)

I find it interesting that the editors note the road noise in the Accord, yet in testing, it isn't the loudest at 70 MPH or at full throttle; it is the QUIETEST!

I'll be very interested in the fuel economy improvements (if any) the Malibu will get from the 6-speed.
  • Options
    ucisilentbobucisilentbob Member Posts: 5
    Why is it that when Edmunds tests the Camry, they always avoid the SE? Handling contributes heavily to not only the performance score but also the editors recommendation. Yet when it comes to choosing a model to test they purposefully choose to go with the (X)LE models that are oriented for the huge percentage of drivers that are simply looking for a plush family hauler. This comparison test along with the V6 comparison test leaves a bad taste in my mouth with Edmunds tests.
  • Options
    If its any consolation, the manufacturers provided the vehicles, so maybe (I don't know, just a MAYBE) Edmunds asked for each manufacturer to provide a test vehicle under $23,000 with no specification on what type was provided.

I don't know, just thinking out loud.
  • Options
    chavis10chavis10 Member Posts: 166
    I still fail to understand the "superiority" of the Accord compared to the Malibu from that article. It was barely faster and returned worse mileage despite a 200 lbs weight advantage and a 5 spd auto. I guess steering feel is enough to make it the winner. When the Malibu gets the six speed, it'll get faster and return even better mileage leaving the Accord behind
  • Options
    Unfortunately we can't compare future vehicles since we don't have them on the road yet.

Keep in mind that there is more to a vehicle than its test numbers. I don't care too much for the 2008 Accord (and I'm a 2006 Accord owner myself) but don't knock it 'til you've tried it. I am surprised by the fuel economy numbers since I beat the OLD epa estimate numbers daily; the new ones are incredibly low.
  • Options
    ericheseriches Member Posts: 80
    You are right. At the time we requested the Camry, we were trying to meet a very specific price point and the LE trim level was as high as we could go. In addition, the LE is the volume-selling trim level in the Camry line, so it was arguably the best match against the LX/LX-P Accord. --Erin, author of the comparison test
  • Options
    Good to know - and who wouldn't thunk it, I guessed right! ;)

Thanks for responding, by the way.
  • Options
    chavis10: On an objective level, the Malibu lost points for its poor braking performance and its mediocre acceleration numbers -- check the performance chart. On a subjective level, it earned lower scores than the Accord on editors' evaluation forms -- four qualified IL/Edmunds editors participated in the scoring process. -- Erin Riches
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,722
    I keep being baffled by all the comparos that use the Camry LE. Why not the SE? It'd fit in the budget, and would be more to their liking.
  • Options
    See my explanation for this in post #374. Thanks. --Erin, author of comparison test
  • Options
    w/o options it'd be 22,900, including delivery, and it has alloys.
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    I guess wait till Consumer Reports comes out with a road test on the new Accord. They'll report the mileage on a car that has over 5K miles and driven under normal driving conditions. I'm looking forward to the diesel Accord which should do well in terms of gas mileage.

With the available 190 HP I4 and the upcoming diesel engine I don't see the Malibu leaving the Accord behind.
  • Options
    jray4jray4 Member Posts: 18
    I've driven all three cars and I find the Malibu the best of the three. The Accord high revving engine is noisy when you floor the gas pedal for passing, the Malibu is quitter than both the Camry and Accord. The styling is nicer with the Malibu. The ride is better with the Malibu. Why the Accord is rated better is beyond me!! Incidentally, I know more about cars than the average person and maybe more than those who rated these three cars.
  • Options
    A base Toyota Camry SE I4 can be had without the moonroof for less than $23,000. So I don't believe that's a good enough reason. The only reason that doesn't happen is cause you have to pay MSRP for that configuration (custom order from the dealer). Whereas if you take a base Toyota Camry SE I4 with the moonroof option off the lot you can make a deal for it for less than the MSRP of the Base SE I4 w/o moonroof.
  • Options
    If that price point were SO specific, than why was the Malibu allowed to break that ceiling?
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    :cry::cry::cry: Why do people complain about the results from comparison tests? They only said what car THEY preferred, out of the cars that were tested. It's only their opinion. Does that mean YOU have to like it too? Indeed not. Are you saying they really liked the Camry or Malibu more, but picked the Accord anyway?:confuse: I haven't read the comparison yet, but it's obvious which car they liked from the whining going on from Camry and Malibu people. ;)
  • Options
    Also, thank you for your replys. In the 2008 V6 Sedan article I sent a letter to the editor via the link on the front page of the article with no response or awknowledgement.
  • Options
    I read your last few posts and got the impression you're a big fan of GM. I'm shocked, I tell you I'm shocked that you found the Malibu to be the better car. You probably know more about cars than road testers from other media outlets too. I know one thing for sure, I know what car would be best for me as you know what car is best for you. Hopefully anyone considering one of these three cars will personally test drive them and make up their own mind up.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I know more about cars than the average person and maybe more than those who rated these three cars.

Sure you do. ;) Incredible.
  • Options
    usa1usa1 Member Posts: 11
    Now that the Camry has finished last in this comparison test AND the other recent V6 comparison test, can you please NOT include it in future tests? I'm tired of hearing how uninspired, dull, and ugly it is.

Just because it sells by the boat loads, does not mean you need to include it. The previous generation Taurus sold a lot of cars through it's life, but it was never in the later comparison tests because people knew it was not worth considering. The same can now be said of the Camry. You can simply state in your next comparison test something like "The Camry was not included because it came in last in recent tests."

Any bets on whether the tired Camry will be trotted out dutifully in future tests? Sigh.
  • Options
    OR.... they actually (for once) could test the best looking best handling of the Camry stable. SE.
  • Options
    Well, the truth is, silentbob, I don't have a great answer for you. I see your point about the Camry SE, and while we considered that argument, I think we were right to choose the LE (though, yes, I would have preferred one with VSC and alloys). The LE is the quintessential Camry, the one most people buy... Also, it's not always possible to get exactly the configuration we want from the manufacturers, and that is why the Malibu went $80 over. However, our scoring formula does adjust for such discrepancies, though obviously a car with a little extra equipment has a certain subjective advantage. --Erin
  • Options
    If you're reading the IL comparison test, you might also want to check out the consumer-penned version of this test -- http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/123972/article.html -- which had a somewhat different outcome. --Erin
  • Options
    Also, it's not always possible to get exactly the configuration we want from the manufacturers

You have my sympathy on that - certain combinations can be impossible to find.

I took a look at the scoring formula, and I'd strongly suggest dropping the price component. Price matters, yes, but it matters differently to everyone, and the sticker price can have little to do with the sales price. I'd rather know which is the better car, then buy the best one I can afford. Of course, you have to compare similar price range cars, like you did here, but the range of prices is so small that it shouldn't affect scores.
  • Options
    watercop1watercop1 Member Posts: 18
    I drive a 2007 Camry LE and agree with both the consumer and Edmunds review. The Camry still suits me fine. My mixed driving yields consistent 28MPG in 60/40 highway/city driving. My commute (45min. each way) required a comfortable drive. My "real world" purchase was $21,500+TTL for LE equipped with AT, sunroof, alloys, body side molding and all wx mats. None of the new Orleans area dealerships had VSC equipped LE's on the lot so Toyota is being stingy with them. The center cubby has outlet and aux jack with a cord cutout to easily add sirius/XM or nav. At the time the Accord was selling at MSRP+. The Aura also was closer to 23K to equip it similiar to my Camry. My wife will be car shopping in 2009. We will definately look at the Malibu and Honda's deisel Accord closely.
  • Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    Thanks for participating in the forum! We do a lot of guessing, supposing and theorizing on this forum and its nice to finally get information right from the horses mouth! Thanks :)
  • Options
    colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Unfortunately, the Camry SE is not available without a sunroof in the Chicago region. Every SE in Illinois and Indiana is delivered with a sunroof. This is one thing I dislike about Toyota's marketing and option packaging. All configurations should be available everywhere in the country.
  • Options
    irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    Why is Altima and Sonata not in this comparison? Obviously Nissan and Hyundai did not pay edmunds well enough.
  • Options
    Why is Altima and Sonata not in this comparison? Obviously Nissan and Hyundai did not pay edmunds well enough.

Because this comparison is set up to be more simple. This compares the top two sellers in the class against a newcomer.

There is already a "Midsize Sedans 2.0" including all three vehicles here, as well as other offerings from Nissan, Hyundai, Ford, Chrysler, etc.

Someone a little bit bitter here? Don't jump to assumptions TOO quickly.
  • Options
    niceguy1234niceguy1234 Member Posts: 37
    Nobody talk about the resale value of these 3 cars. I believe after a few years late, the Malibu will have the lowest resale value among these 3.
  • Options
    aaronfitzaaronfitz Member Posts: 2
    Obviously, the Malibu is going to have the worst resale value. BUT, if GM keeps going the way they are I think that's going to change. The new Caddy CTS was named Motor Trends Car of the Year, the Silverado had Truck of the Year in 07. The Saturn Aura was the North American Car of the Year in 07, and I really think the the Malibu is going to take that award this year, we won't know until the end of this month though. GM is on a huge turn-around and it is really showing right now. I've sat in several new GM products in the past few months, and I'm completely blown away by the quality that is FINALLY going into their vehicles. Especially the new Silverado and the new Malibu. I just think that its going to take a few years for this movement to filter down the line. The interiors are also amazing, they no longer look like they are from the stone age. Everything is built nice and tight and looks much more exspensive that what it really is, with very minimal gaps inside and out. One thing that I really don't like with the new Accord or the Camry is that they are both extremely boring looking on the inside. It reminds me of crawling into a dark cave. I don't care for all the cheesy looking "brushed aluminum" stuff either. The Malibu offers all kinds of different interior color combinations...its called having some flare. If I had to choose between the three, I would choose the Malibu LTZ. Out the door with a fully loaded Malibu is gonna set ya back about 28 big ones. That's about 2-2.5K cheaper than the other two, which makes up for the depreciation I think. Another thing to consider is that the Malibu has the better powertrain warranty. Only spot that I can see where Chevy screwed up is not offering a "real" nav system. But I guess it has the OnStar with the Turn by Turn Navigation. Honestly, I'm holding my down payment money for the new Pontiac G8. If it drives and goes as good as it looks, I'll buy one! Just my $.02

Aaron
  • Options
    With the Accord repeatedly having great resale and a very low number of fleet sales, I believe it will continue to have the best of the three.
  • Options
    domosoyodomosoyo Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking to replace my SUV with something more fuel efficient. My kids are older...one is driving. I just drove the last of these three a couple nights ago so it has been very interesting to read this thread. I really wanted to like the Malibu...thought it was freakishly quiet in a good way...but I felt crammed in the car and I didn't like my driving position. I make occasional adjustments to my seat while driving and had a hard time performing this in the Malibu. Hey, I'm only a five-four foot woman! The Camry felt like I had just aged about twenty years. I like the Accord best of these three too so I agree with the results.

That said I am leaning heavily toward a Prius! I did not think I would like it but drove it anyway. Seems I'm willing to trade fun to drive with fun to see how high I can get my mileage.
  • Options
    Just wait for the Accord Diesel. You can get the car you like with 30% better economy.
  • Options
    What you consider boring as in the case of the Accord I consider classy and high quality and what you consider flare as in the Malibu I consider loud and mediocre. The interior of the Malibu is its weakest link.

By most accounts the Accord is still the better car but it wouldn't surprise me if the Malibu won the North American Car of the Year because to me it's graded on a curve. The Accord is expected to be the top car. Welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    unkownuserunkownuser Member Posts: 23
    They decide arbitrarily to rule out the Altima and the Sonata, and then declare the Accord the best ever.

Yet in ruling out those vehicles they are ruling out very real motivations for buying a family mid-size vehicle:

Sportiness for the soccer daddy car guy (i.e., people who read insideline): Altima wins the day.

Budget-mindedness: A HUGE factor in this segment, and increasingly so when credit and jobs are getting zinged. Sonata is a tremendous value.

Without considering these motivations in buyers for this segment, artificially limiting the comparo to these three vehicles means the test is an interesting intellectual exercised, but ultimately flawed, and lacking in real info for buyers of this segment.
  • Options
    It's particularly wierd to leave out the Altima when CR has them as the top-rated cars in this class, 2008 Accord included!
  • Options
    aaronfitzaaronfitz Member Posts: 2
    The reason the Altima wasn't in this comparo was because they wanted to test the two top sellers(Accord,Camry) and the newbie (Malibu). I can tell you that Motor Trend just did a comparison between the Altima, Malibu, Accord and the Camry. These were all fully loaded vehicles with the V-6's. The Altima was the budget leader in this particular test but received fourth place. Motor Trend summed it up with the Altima saying..."winner on track and twisties comes up short for lack of polish and refinement..." The Accord placed third with MT saying "Vast room, attention to detail, and advanced technology can't overcome a few obvious faults" Malibu placing second with MT saying.."Great combination of sport and luxury bettered only by Camry. America's best and segment's best looking" Leaving the Camry taking first and MT said "Finest all-around mix of power, handling, room, and bells and whistles-no wonder it was our 2007 Car of the Year" Pick up a copy of MT if you want to read more. I would still buy a new Malibu just on the looks alone. When it comes to the interior, the Malibu is right up there I think. Not quite up to Accord with the fit and finish, but I don't think that it sticks out like a sore thumb when put side by side. And from what I've read in different magazines, the new Camry has been suffering from jagged mold lines and squeaks and rattles in the interior. Toyota is starting to pump out so many vehicles now they are starting to lose their grip. All they car about right now is overtaking GM, even though they didn't in 07. That's just my personal opionion.

Aaron
  • Options
    I immediately eliminate from consideration vehicles that have the gas cap on the wrong side. :)
This discussion has been closed.