Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Hello,

I remember your GL450.

I talked to you and (Houndi) at the Lexus forum when you were about to buy the GL.

How's your GL? Do you still love it? Or the hating relation has already started?

Tag has definitely changed, :confuse:
  • ljflxljflx Posts: 4,687
    Yep - I forgot that. The GL is a great SUV and I love it and am surprised and happy about the MPG I've been getting.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Changed?

Just because I now like hybrids and some Japanese cars and have sold my 911 and my 135i is for sale... and I think reliability is more important than I used to think?

Changed?

Now you know the truth... I am Tag's evil twin. I killed the first Tag.

TM
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Oh, it's an experience alright. Bring coffee, you don't want to fall asleep behind the wheel

Dont worry. I am a coffee addict who is always equipped with at least one cup in my hand.

But seriously. Unlike last time I am going to be open minded about my next vehicle.

No preconceptions. Just want to know if the RX450h is comfortable for family members. Good for long road trips? Good cargo capacity, Great technology. Great reliability, Great "fit and finish". Comfort for family members. Great services. Great durability.

In otherwordsI am considering all the things I did not consider when considering my BMW 335i.

Regards,

Soccer Dad Dewey
    Cyclone and Tagman,

I did see both the RX450H and the hybrid Escape at the Toronto Auto Show today.
    And yes I was impressed with the features of the RX450H. This big cumbersome luxuryious vehicle gets the 30 percent better mileage than a petite and spartan Toyota Matrix. Impressive indeed.

The Ford Excape with NAV and thsoe Microsoft features struck me as a bit pricey for such a vehichle (42K $ CDN = approx 34K US$) . I will have to test drive one and see if there are any good deals.
    Now you know the truth... I am Tag's evil twin. I killed the first Tag.

My Evil Twin definitely killed the Old Dewey. Except my Twin is not an Identical Twin. He does not look like me at all but looks exactly like my Evil BMW 335i. ;)
    BMW is doing something that may be considered quite smart during boom times And that is the introduction of niche vehicles that cater to every single obscure and trivial need out there.

Unfortunately these are not boom times. During times like these even luxury car buyers are becoming more practical. Today most luxury car buyers are not striving and working hard for a vehilce like a 5 Series Gran Turismo vehicle.

I mean c'mon how many people in this forum wants a Gran Turismo 5 Series ?

What next from BMW?
    A 3 seriesr Gran Turismo Vehicle?
    A 1 series Gran Turismo r Vehicle?
    A 6 series Gran Turismo Vehicle?
    A 7 series Crossover Gran Turismo Vehicle?

I mean isn't this getting ridiculous?

BMW and MB are frantically creating these new and completely senseless niche vehicles because they cant face the TRUTH. The truth is that during such a dire situation as today-- luxury marques are going to suffer most no matter how many niche vehicles there are today.

Lexus has Toyota.
    Audi/Porsche has VW.

Even during hard times people will still need to drive VWs and Toyotas. Lexus and Audi will not suffer as much since they can still cling onto the apron strings of their parent firm during hard times.

MB and BMW? Unfortunately both are like crying babies in the darkness without a mother to cling to. And both are dealing with their "fears of being all alone without a parent" by inventing silly little niche playthings just to kill time.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,372
    Yup...no 2nd or 3rd mortgages to the wannabe folks who crave MB, BMW or Audi. It's downsize time in the Fatherland. Same as the Colonies!

Regards,
    OW
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,857
    Hi Dewey----I imagine I am writing to the real Dewey----I think both BMW and Mercedes made their mistakes many years ago, by downsizing , and trying to have a vehicle in every niche.....Between that and leasing they lost their idenity and ability to service the cars that they were known for...I would guess with our economies shrinking, that the world as we have known it will be a different place, as I really don`t see anything coming back in a short time frame....Even if we were booming along as we were a few years ago, I don`t think I would buy another expensive car as the loss is just brutal, like buying a thousand share of a company and immediately loosing twenty thousand, followed by twelve to fifteen thousand dollars a year---just be be driving around, and not much...

.If I were to sell my place in Miami, I would defenitely get a smaller car...What I don`t know...as alot of my long distance driving would be over....I did think about getting a Prius and just leave it down there, but that is stupid also...I think it is smart to chnge with the times and be a survivor....Tony ps I might be buying my daughter a new car and at the top of the list would be the Lexus 450h
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Why are you selling your 135i? You were so much in love with this car, you'd never stop talking about it! :surprise: And now you want to sell it :blush:
    Why are you selling your 135i? You were so much in love with this car, you'd never stop talking about it! And now you want to sell it

Well... it's a bit complicated and personal. But here's the brief...

The financial crisis has impacted me in a profound way. To be honest, I have a gorgeous home in a very special location that I really, really, really want to hang on to. I do not want to uproot my wife and kids from this property. To keep it, I need to make absolutely certain that my priorities and resources are focused.

I am selling the extra cars, and forging a new business model. Assuming I can outlast this financial crisis, which I intend to do, I can always get new cars in the future... but quite frankly, I don't think I will ever be motivated to get too many cars ever again. A sporty hybrid would get my attention, but nothing else interests me. In the meantime, I am enjoying my Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas, and I have no doubts that I am a very fortunate man to own such a magnificent automobile.

And, if I end up having to scale back on the home, sure I'd be incredibly sad, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

The 911 is already sold, and the 135i is listed. Hopefully, it will be sold soon as well. The buyer will get a tremendous deal, because the car is absolutely loaded... and I am being so reasonable on its price.

Thanks for asking. A man has to do what a man has to do. And I'm doing just that.

TM
  • clemboclembo Posts: 253
    Best wishes Tag, and I'm sure you'll rebound from this. It is encouraging to see someone make the tough decisions and sacrifices that you're making without playing the victim card. If other people were as accountable and as thoughtful as you, we may not be in this financial crisis.
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    … definitely a major improvement.

Indeed. Those pics a very illustrative on how redesigning can led to neat lines without parting with the whole setting.

Regards,
    Jose
    Hi Tag,

your candidness is a rare attribute.

Believe me I know especially in the endeavor of investments. You wont believe this but the majority of people I meet bought all their investments at the bottom and sold them with perfect timing at peaks.

Any idiot can claim to be a superinvestor or a "Warren Buffett" especially if he does not have to disclose his investment account statements for public viewing.

The truth is many people are so insecure with themselves that they would rather make fraudulent claims about their successes than admit the truth . It is only a rare person indeed who can admit the truth. Warren Buffett made some recent bone headed investments himeself but you wont see him being insecure. In the long term it is those rare honest types who are usually the successful ones.
    Tony,

I am learning the concept of Auto Depreciation firsthand with my BMW 335i. I know the black book wholesale value of my car but every dealership I talked to claims that this value is far too inflated.

I am going to sell my car privately and see what happens. I know that I can sell my car privately at a premium that is significantly higher than wholesale price. There is a huge gap between BMW 335i retail and wholesale prices.

Never again am I going to buy a luxury car without a strong record of reliability. In fact never again am I going to buy any car without a strong record of reliability,

I think your daughter will love the Lexus RX450h, What amazes me is that I know many males who drive Lexus RX models. It appears in this forrum that a Lexus RX is as femine as stiletto heeled shoes.
    Agreed. After my downsizing in September, I returned my BMW (leased2006) and bought a CR-V. Call me Mr. RIF.

I found the little devil from the vin at Rich Catena Wholesalers here in NJ for $6K less than they offered me to buy it!

Anyway, the market is extremely tight for month an the jobs side...I have a slew of competition.

Like TM, I made sure I would stay in my home and burned the mortgage! And my best friend is now back in the workforce after 19 years.

Nice Valentine's present, eh? :sick:

Regards,
    OW
    That is why I leased up front...cost me more but I am free now! At 45K, the miles are ripe for trouble around the near turn! The good thing is it was flawless over the 3 years.

I am starting the count for how long the car sits at $22,500 ($43,927 Cap Cost 12/2005)...so far 3 weeks.

Regards,
    OW
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Soccer Dad Dewey

Are you also aficionado? Then you should watch La Roja matches.

:D

Regards,
    Jose
    What a market!

Right now, in an unusual market trend, West Texas crude is selling for much less than inferior grades of crude from other places around the world. A severe economic downturn has left U.S. storage facilities brimming with it, sending prices for the premium crude to five-year lows.

But it is the overseas crude that goes into most of the gas made in the United States. So prices at the pump will probably keep going up no matter what happens to the benchmark price of crude oil.

"We're going definitely over $2, and I bet we'll hit $2.50 before spring," said Tom Kloza, publisher and chief oil analyst at Oil Price Information Service. "This is going to be an unusual year."

On the last day of 2008, gas went for $1.62 on average, according to the auto club AAA, the Oil Price Information Service and Wright Express, a company that tracks transportation data.

The recession in America has dramatically cut demand for crude oil, and inventories are piling up. So prices for West Texas crude have fallen well below what oil costs from places like the North Sea, Saudi Arabia and South America.

That foreign oil sells in some cases for $10 more per barrel -- and that doesn't even include shipping.

Historically, West Texas International crude has cost more. So nobody bothered building the necessary pipelines to carry it beyond the nearby refineries in the Midwest, parts of Texas and a handful of other places.

Now that the premium oil is suddenly very inexpensive, refiners elsewhere can't get their hands on it.

"It's so cheap," said Lynn Westphall, the senior VP of external affairs at San Antonio-based Tesoro, which owns a half dozen refineries on the West Coast and Hawaii. "But you can't just build a pipeline to everywhere. We know we can't get it."

Tesoro's refineries in North Dakota and Utah use locally drilled oil and Canadian oil, which also has been running about $10 more per barrel than West Texas crude.

So why not build more pipelines? Because investing billions of dollars over several years makes no sense when the prices could just flip a year from now to where they were before.

"How long is WTI going to be cheaper than Venezuelan oil? Than Canadian?" asked Charles T. Drevna, president of the National Petrochemical and Refiners Association. "You just don't build a pipeline like that."

At the same time, refiners have seen the same headlines as everyone else about job losses and consumer spending. They've slashed production just to avoid taking losses on gasoline no one will buy. Result: Higher gas prices.

Unbelievable! :sick:

Regards,
    OW
    Well Dewey

You know from years ago I have always praised the Lexus cars I have owned, and particularly the service.....No question it is not the agile car the Audi is, and each Lexus has had one major problem---usually in the first year of ownership////

I really didn`t mean the rx to be a girl car, and would be happy driving one...I meant I would spend more money on my daughter than I will spend on myself at this time in life, same for wife...I further think the H model would be fun to drive with an economy outlook.....I looked at a Prius today (parked ) and it certainly appeared to have alot of inside space....I can share your excitement anticipating using one..

There was a wildlife art show this weekend in Charleston, and there were many expensive cars driving around....I just don`t think they were recent purchases. :) Tony
    I read your post before going to bed last night, and wished to myself `I wish I could do something to help`....All I could think of is encouragement, that God gave us a brain, and we must use it...You are doing so, and with severe discipline you will be able to save your house, and get back on your feet....You have the most important thing, and that is your health, and the love of your family, and time....I wish I could express myself ---as so many people on this board can--but my heart is with you Tony
    I so much appreciate your kindness. I want you to know that the good TagMan will be fine. Admittedly, I'm a good ways up the ladder, so if I take a few steps down, I'd still be in a very fortunate position, and it wouldn't be so bad. In spite of these recent huge challenges, I count my blessings often.

I can easily go without a few extra cars... at least for a little while. ;)

TM
    Dewey,
    You and Charlie seem to be upbeat on the RX, and frankly, I don't get it. I'm open-minded, but you'd have to explain to me what the appeal is.

TM
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,284
    Tag,

I can't speak for Dewey, but here are my feelings about the new RX (especially the hybrid). The exterior look is nothing spectacular, but it is rather appealing to me and my wife. I am especially impressed with the interior layout. I am trying to recall everything I saw at the Detroit Auto Show, but first of all, it is quite modern looking. I love the positioning and size of the navigation screen compared to the present model. All the necessary controls are on the steering wheel. The instrument panel looks very nice. I am not sure how I will like the mouse/joy stick control, but I hear that it is very easy to use. This new model actually has more room inside even though the exterior dimensions are identical to the current model I believe. Also, the seats seemed to be very comfortable.

The system now recognizes voice commands much more easily. The high tech features now include, a camera on the drivers side that eliminates the blind spot, a lane departure warning system, radar cruise control, parking assist sensors, lots of safety features, and likely quite a few other neat toys that I cannot recall right now. Most importantly, the hybrid version gets considerably better gas mileage but it has more power than the previous model. I think we will very much enjoy taking trips with this vehicle.

I believe that several days ago I mistakenly indicated on a reply to Dewey that we will see the RX this Monday (tomorrow) when it is introduced by my dealer. However, the public showing is actually a week from tomorrow (the 23rd). We are looking forward to actually test drive it in the near future. The hybrid will be available some time this spring.
    Sounds like the hybrid is preferrable to you, and you'll have to wait until Spring to know if it's right for you.

I guess I was always under the impression that the RX was over-priced. I'll look forward to your feedback when you test it.

I just finished reading quite a bit more about the 2010 Prius that Dewey is going to get, and I must say, it is indeed an amazing little car.

TM
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Posts: 2,284
    The new Prius is indeed a fantastic car. I wish my wife would go for it. The price is certainly right and it has all the amazing new high tech features. She is paranoid about driving in snow without AWD.

Yes we are waiting for the RX450h.
  • gfr1gfr1 Posts: 55
    I saw the 2010 RX350 in a Scottsdale dealership last week. My wife has a RX330 and I consider the new model quite a significant upgrade, though I'm tired of SUVs. The interior and dash is very nice, with improved controls. I think the styling is much improved, also. The sales person said the the RX450 would follow in three months and the HS250h in another three months. I'm going to give that a look. I might go for the Ford Fusion Hybrid (around Mar. 10th), for a lot of tech people give it very high marks. I agree with the 2010 Prius excitement, too. That'd be pretty neat. My only complaint there is the rather small fuel tank and the bladder fueling lack of fill reliability. I like cruising range. The HS250h supposedly has a 18.5 gal. tank, with unknown mpg. The Fusion supposedly has a 17.5 gal tank, with about 36, or so, highway rating. -- GR
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Dewey,
    You and Charlie seem to be upbeat on the RX, and frankly, I don't get it. I'm open-minded, but you'd have to explain to me what the appeal is.

I know what you mean. The original at least was pretty awful to drive. Mediocre seats, bad driving position thanks to tilt-only steering wheel and not enough seat travel, and it had the turning circle of an aircraft carrier. The RX330 was an improvement, but it still drove like a Camry on stilts. My wife decided it had gotten too big, and she wanted something more involving, so we got the X3 - from the year BMW forgot how to make transmissions.
    The Ford Fusion is going to be a major success... and a deserved one at that. Ford has pulled out all the stops for this hybrid. Even the glass is special, to provide a quiter interior. Get one with Microsoft Sync and NAV and the vehicle will be a high-tech value.

Ford has genuinely earned major kudos for their terrific hybrid vehicles, especially the upcoming Fusion.

TM