Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Tacoma Vibrations/Shimmy/Noises

13»

Comments

• Options
    norefowlnorefowl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Tacoma and at 80mph 2,800 RPM on deceleration a growling noise in the
    transmission bell housing area , it stops at 75 mph or if you push in the clutch.
    Anyone have this problem or any answers or fixes.
  • Options
    shenley79shenley79 Member Posts: 1
    Did you get the vibration fixed? I have the same problem.
  • Options
    lemsachlemsach Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    I had same problem and turned out to be the u-joints and carring bearing
    you have to get under and shake you drive shaft, if there is any movement
    then replace those u-joint about $12.00 each one and the carring bearing will cost about $350.00 from dealer. A shop can charge you about 600-900 the change them. There are cool hillybillys and readnecks that will show you how to do it yourself on utube. :shades:
  • Options
    h8toyotah8toyota Member Posts: 1
    The problem is the spline the throw out bearing rides on . If its grooved its garbage . Toyota is aware of the problem thanks to my tacoma . The part is cast and has a defect . They have patched mine together 4 times with a new throwout bearing so they didnt get stuck with the bill . The part alone is $700 dollars and is the entire housing assembly has to be replaced . The entire transmission has to be removed and disassembled to get to the bolts on the inside of the casing in order for it to be removed (new gaskets and major labor ). They patched mine along until my warranty ran out . I spent $2700.00 dollars to find this information out so i can sue my dealership(im sure theres a loop hole) . If you own a tacoma truck assembled after 2005 chances are your spline is bad or defective .. Goodluck .. FU toyota
  • Options
    melbug20melbug20 Member Posts: 1
    What kind of Michelin tires did you put on your truck. I just bought a 2013 Texas Edition and noticed a little vibration on Passenger side . They said it needed to be align and balanced. Fixed the problem temporary but it has come back. I will be taking it again tomorrow and glad I found all this complaints on this forum and where to go from here. thanks
  • Options
    firefighter11firefighter11 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma Crew cab Pre Runner TRD. I had a vibration while driving as well as on acceleration. This started around 40k miles and got to where I could not stand it at 50k. I narrowed it down to the center carrier barring or the U joints. It turns out it was the rear u joints. pins were gone in 2 of the 4. I replaced and haven't had a problem untill recently at 90k. I suspect the same thing. I do use the truck for light towing of a yard trailer but nothing over 3000lbs. My advise is to check the u joints first, You will have to get up close and personal to check each one with a flash light. Simply checking for play in drive shaft my not identify the problem. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    brepeibrepei Member Posts: 10
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info on the drive line. I have 62K on my 03 Tacoma 4x4 extended cab. I still have the vibration between 40-60. When I get new tires this year, if the vibration is still exists, I'll check those u-joints. Did you know that the grease for the u-joints is not just the regular grease they use on the rest of the chassis? Check your owners manual for the right kind.
    Thanks again,
    Brepei
  • Options
    rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    Yes, that's a very common noise, and it's apparently the ABS doing some sort of self-diagnostic. Louder on some vehicles than on others. Toyota considers it to be "Normal." Yeah, go figure....
  • Options
    wacawacawacawaca Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 2010 Tacoma and I noticed the same thing right away. Terrible noise! I'm surprised there aren't more posts about this. This is NOT a noise that just about every car on the road makes, I've never heard anything like it (I'm 38). Is there anything that can be done about it?
  • Options
    terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    I would address it with the seller.
  • Options
    mike_1394mike_1394 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2014

I have a 2007 Tacoma 4x2 TRD access cab, i just turned over 100000 miles about a month ago and i started to get a ticking sound from the engine, i just assumed that it was because it is cold ( it was February) so i let it go, then i started to get a bump from the rear end when in low speeds ( 5 - 10) now i am getting a heavy vibration from what feels like the drive axle in speeds between 50-70 but only when i accelerate and it clears up after i pass 70. i tried fully cleaning the full system with the 4 STP cleaners and it felt like it helped a little but not very noticeable. Thoughts?

• Options
    jammer34jammer34 Member Posts: 1
    lurching noise when I take off in 1st gear 03 Tacoma???
  • Options
    sheiksheik Member Posts: 1
    h8toyota said:

The problem is the spline the throw out bearing rides on . If its grooved its garbage . Toyota is aware of the problem thanks to my tacoma . The part is cast and has a defect . They have patched mine together 4 times with a new throwout bearing so they didnt get stuck with the bill . The part alone is $700 dollars and is the entire housing assembly has to be replaced . The entire transmission has to be removed and disassembled to get to the bolts on the inside of the casing in order for it to be removed (new gaskets and major labor ). They patched mine along until my warranty ran out . I spent $2700.00 dollars to find this information out so i can sue my dealership(im sure theres a loop hole) . If you own a tacoma truck assembled after 2005 chances are your spline is bad or defective .. Goodluck .. FU toyota