Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Once it becomes widespread we should see prices come down. I'd pay $1105 and install it myself, $2 grand is a bit much but I'd still consider it.

I'm trying to talk my wife into a portable one, because then it would work in all 3 of our cars. The Garmin c320/330/340 have an internal battery so you can even use it cordlessly for 4-8 hours. That's useful because you could take it inside to pre-program all the routes you might be taking that day.

-juice
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Circuit city has Delorme LT-20 with Street Atlas USA 2005 on sale for $70. All you need is a laptop. I have an older version of Earthmate and it works perfectly. It offers voice commands and voice recognition as well as directions from point A to point B with stops and points of interest. If you make a wrong turn it recalculates the route.

If you already have a laptop, then it is a very viable alternative. And you don't have to worry about thieves taking it, you take the laptop with you as you leave the vehicle.
  • Options
    daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    "talk my wife into...".

Jeez! Who wears the pants in YOUR house? Who brings home the bacon?

Only kidding, only kidding! I can't imagine using a laptop as it would be very cumbersome. But my portable Garmin sits on the dashboard, as touchscreen plus a remote and is just great. Better than the built-in one in my Lexus LS430, really.
  • Options
    while I'm doing her laundry. :blush:

In a good year she earns more than I do. Right now she's just working part-time though.

Laptop - good idea, but again I'd need the co-pilot to help out and that nixes that idea, as she's usually asleep. Works for a couple of college buddies that keep each other awake, though.

-juice
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    the rumor has it that the newly redesigned '06 Civic will have Nav as an option.

Ah, the new model rumor mill!

One of the Civic's competitors, the Mazda 3, ALREADY has Nav as an option.

I see that it does, but it adds $3,000 to the base price of the trim levels it's available on. The nav system itself is only $1,750 but there are required packages that you need in order to add the nav system.

As to a nav system option on the CR-V from Honda I'm not holding my breath.

non-car smiley
  • Options
    slawendaslawenda Member Posts: 101
    the rumor has it that the newly redesigned '06 Civic will have Nav as an option.

Ah, the new model rumor mill!

Spy photos have apparently confirmed the nav on the Civic...see for yourself...we should find out for sure from Honda soon...to be honest, wouldn't surprise me if Civic has it...

One of the Civic's competitors, the Mazda 3, ALREADY has Nav as an option.

I see that it does, but it adds $3,000 to the base price of the trim levels it's available on. The nav system itself is only $1,750 but there are required packages that you need in order to add the nav system.

Let's compare the Accord with the Civic. A fully loaded Accord will run you roughly 7-8K more than a fully loaded Civic...I personally would consider saving my money and getting the Civic with the Nav (as opposed to the Accord with the Nav) AND saving on gas to boot!

There's nothing "luxurious" about nav; it's still a newer technology but it is spreading very quickly...GPS is a very hot technology...Best Buy offers 25 products under the category "Portable GPS/Navigation"...talk to anyone that has one, especially the Accord or latest Acura models, and they'll probably tell you they'll never buy a new car without one...even my father who can't set the VCR clock absolutely loves his on his Accord (bought one after he saw mine), and now my mom, who also can't set the VCR clock, is jealous and she wants one!!!

Look at what's happening with satellite radio--starting to move "down" to the lower models, and yes, even lowly CR-V's have satellite radio as an option...why use a satellite for radio and not for directions?
  • Options
    aucoinaucoin Member Posts: 1
    I need to install a class II hitch on my '97 Honda CRV. What brand would you suggest?
    It wil be used for towing the new Shadow Cruiser lighweight RV.

Here are the trailer specs:

AXLE WEIGHT 1,530 lb.
    HITCH WEIGHT 150 lb.
    DRY WEIGHT 1,680 lb.
    GVWR 3,150 lb.
    CARGO CAPACITY 1,470 lb.

I've been told that the CRV can only accommodate the Class I hitch. Is this true?

Please help....Thank you.

Leon............SLAucoinhotmail.com
  • Options
    Yep, with a 1.25" receiver.

Keep that in mind because Class II/II receivers are more common and they are 2".

NAV - at least Mazda offers it, on both the 3 and 5. I give them credit for being pioneers in the compact segment.

We looked at some portables yesterday and might end up buying a Garmin c330. They're so easy to use and go from car to car, plus the battery means you can program addresses in the comfort of your home.

-juice
  • Options
    snappy3snappy3 Member Posts: 13
    I test drove an LX and my notable impression was that the seats were hard on my tailbone. Would anybody like to comment on what these vehicles' seats would feel like after 14 hours of driving on a vacation trip? I had to rent a Jeep Liberty and had the same impression after about 3 hours, and put up with it for the rest of the day. Thanks!
  • Options
    fredddfreddd Member Posts: 14
    I had the same reaction, but bought one anyway because I couldn't find any reports at all of people not liking the seats. After about 1300 miles I can report that they are what I would call "orthopedic". They are not comfy, but after a couple fo 2 to 3 hour trips in one day I was really starting to appreciate them - no pain or fatigue at all. This car replaces a Neon (p.o.s.) which had seats that seemed VERY comfy for short trips, but were unbearable on long rides.
  • Options
    If you are coming from a doemstic soft like a marshmallow cushion then the seats will seem hard to you. I have driven 2005 CR-V EX for 6 hours straight, with one 5 minute fill up stop and can not complain. However, my previous car had even better seats. It was a 2002 Civic Si with molded Recaro racing seats, which were even more comfortable than the CR-V seats. Those were even harder than CR-V.

Adjust the rake of the seat bottom to take the presure from the tail bone and you should be fine, unless you are one of those really obese 250 lbs and up people. Then you would probably need special seats anyway.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    There are several Class II hitches which may be installed on the CR-V. The one I see recommended most is the Curt Hitch. This has a 2" receiver and the mounting system is solid.

That said, the CR-V is rated to tow 1,500 lbs. While a class II hitch can be installed, it does not magically increase the amount of weight you can pull and safely stop. So a class I hitch is all that's needed.
  • Options
    I need to install a class II hitch on my '97 Honda CRV. What brand would you suggest?
    It wil be used for towing the new Shadow Cruiser lighweight RV.

Here are the trailer specs:

DRY WEIGHT 1,680 lb.
    GVWR 3,150 lb.
    CARGO CAPACITY 1,470 lb.

There are a couple of companies that make Class II receivers that will fit on a CR-V. Curt and UHaul are two that come to mind. A Class II hitch is rated for a heavier trailer than a Class I. However, it doesn't matter what Class of hitch you put on the CR-V. It's still only rated for a 1,000 lb trailer (without trailer brakes) regardless of whether you have a Class I or Class II hitch.

Honda US only lists trailer weights for trailers without trailer brakes. Honda UK lists weights for trailers with and without brakes. The UK weight for a trailer with brakes it double the unbraked trailer weight. Using those guidelines, your 1997 CR-V could tow a 2,000 lb trailer if it had trailer brakes. The tongue weight is only 100 lbs whether or not the trailer has brakes.

My concern is with the weight specs you list. The tongue weight is too heavy, and the dry (empty) weight is already close to the maximum your CR-V should tow, even with trailer brakes.

If you really must buy that trailer you need a bigger tow vehicle.

JM2C
  • Options
    Soft seats will conform to your tush, which is nice for trips around town. However, on long trips they actually impeded circulation (giving you a numb rear-end). Harder seats don't have that problem, but can irritate the places where hard bones press down the most (ex: tail bone). And, of course, everybody's back side is going to be different. My recommendation is a long test drive.
  • Options
    the CR-V is rated to tow 1,500 lbs.

It's not often I get to correct the Varmint!

He said he has a 1997 CR-V. They are only rated for 1,000 lbs of unbraked trailer weight. With the 2002 CR-V (larger engine and 4 wheel disc brakes) the rating was increased to 1,500 lbs (unbraked).

non-car smiley
  • Options
    I thought the seat bottom adjustment just raised the seat up and down, as opposed to rotating it to pitch the seat. If it rotated, it ought to do the trick. I will have to call or go back to the dealer.

As a matter of a fact, I do most my road tripping in a Windstar and its comfy seats are still delightful after 5 or 11 hours.They only have 2 adjustments, too.

Thanks for the advice and thanks to freddd, also. :)
  • Options
    I stand corrected.

Actually, I noticed that when you mentioned the tongue weight. 150 lbs would be withing the spec for a 2nd gen, but the gen 1 CR-V is rated for 110 lbs.
  • Options
    You want soft? Try a Saturn Vue.

You want orthopedic? Closest I can think of is a Volvo V50 AWD. The swedes have magical elves making their seats, it seems.

-juice
  • Options
    "You want soft? Try a Saturn Vue. "
    I drove the Vue yesterday and my impression was that its seats were "nice" and incrementally/probably better than the CRV and definitely better than a Jeep Liberty. The Volvo is not on our list because "she who reviews all decisions" does not want anything that looks like a wagon...or an Element. Well, it's her money, too, so fine.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I drove the Vue yesterday and my impression was that its seats were "nice" and incrementally/probably better than the CRV and definitely better than a Jeep Liberty."

When considering the Vue or Liberty, better take a look at the Edmunds forums on those vehicles for reliability. I shopped the Vue and am glad I bought the CR-V.
  • Options
    "Adjust the rake of the seat bottom to take the presure from the tail bone and you should be fine, unless you are one of those really obese 250 lbs and up people. Then you would probably need special seats anyway."

I am over 250lbs, and have driven the CR-V for 11 hour trips, plus light off roading (rough dirt roads). I have no problem with the seats. I find, due to my long legs, that I feel best when the seat is all the way up and all the way back, plus tilted to a comfortable position.

You might also note that it is possible to be over 250 lbs and not "really obese".
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, Steve. We would be buying the CRV for the same application you described. I have had vehicles that handled unpaved, beat up roads well and vehicles that "bottomed out" (Windstar), so I had to slow down for every big rut in the road. I would surely like to have a vehicle that I did not have to keep slowing down. All I need is some ground clearance, not 4WD low, huge tires, and an off road package to protect the gas tank and differential.

The only description I got of the CRV's performance was one professional writer who said the CRV got "weak in the knees" off of pavement. That is some lame writing. What does it mean? That the CRV has steering problems? I doubt it. I think the writer is saying that the CRV does not perform like a Jeep Liberty in the most difficult terrain, but I never expected that (!). But to tell the truth I really don't know what to expect. How would you describe its performance on beat up unpaved roads, then?
  • Options
    xelitusxelitus Member Posts: 2
    Well I took the plunge and purchased a '05 CRV EX last Friday. After one week all I can say is that I made an excellent decision. I looked at the Equinox and the Tucson and wasn't impressed.

The road noise is blown out of proportion in my opinion. I have a '96 Accord and the CRV is less noisy than it but if you're really into quiet rides this may not be your vehicle.

It has Bridgestone tires on it and (knock on wood) no dreaded PTTR.

Also, I picked up the all season floor mats, front splash guards (standard on my '96 Accord but an option on the CRV... go figure), door visors and the OEM roof rack (which, IMHO, makes the CRV look much cooler.)

One thing to note that I didn't like was the fact that under the hood there were signs of the beginnings of saltwater corrosion which I'm assuming happened during the boat ride from England or the unloading during a storm at the dock but either way make sure if you buy a new CRV you check under the hood and give it a good once over with something like WD-40 to ensure it doesn't rot under your nose.

PS- I bought the extended warranty... 7 years or 100k miles seemed like a good idea since I didn't want to be screwed paying for a new AC compressor in 3 years or anything else.

Thanks for reading my ramblings and good luck on your future CRV purchases!
  • Options
    Enjoy the 'V. :)

-juice
  • Options
    It was fine. I was on the back roads to Chaco Canyon, NM. The road is not even listed on the maps as a route into Chaco, but it is the most direct. It is also the most washboard thing you've ever seen. I actually went in via the north road this time, which is a little better with some gravel. I actually had to ford a 2" deep wash. So I went out the south road. The CR-V did fine. I had to slow down a bit when I realized I was actually leaving the ground on some of the low ridges of the road. I like to keep all four wheels on the ground!

The CR-V is not "weak" by any standards, in my opinion. It has about 8" ground clearance. I'm not sure about protecting the gas tank and differential, and the CR-V now has 16" tires; mine are 15".
  • Options
    tamarastertamaraster Member Posts: 107
    Funny you should mention about the tailbone thing. I seriously bruised mine a couple of weeks ago, and the CR-V's driver seat is the most comfortable I have! Perhaps it's just because I don't recline the seat much at all, but I am more comfortable there than in my desk chair or at home on my couch.

I also drove a bunch of consecutive hours before the injury and didn't have any problem with seat/back comfort, so that was great. I had a Focus rental car once that killed me on a long trip.
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    I have a 02 crv and I was wandering if the head lights and the back could be swap with a newer model.
    Fig.
  • Options
    I have a 02 crv and I was wandering if the head lights and the back could be swap with a newer model.
    Fig.

There is a duscissuon on "the other board" and apparantley the tail lights can be swapped, but only UK to UK and Japan to Japan as they use different harnesses and light bulbs.

I think the consensus on the head lights is that the outer shape is different and will neccesitate hood, fender and bumper replacement.
  • Options
    ict_jazzict_jazz Member Posts: 10
    I'm looking at a 97 CRV with about 128k miles. What are some of the things I should be concerned about in buying one? I've got an 88 Accord (217k miles) now. The other car I'm considering is a 97 Subaru Legacy Outback, 116k miles.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well, actually 1996 Accords didn't come with any splash guards. If your Accord had them, someone installed them.
  • Options
    Check out varmint's FAQ thread, I'm sure it's everything you'd want to know.

That was the first-year model, and had a little less power than later years plus came only in automatic.

At that mileage it's all about the service and care it received throughout its life. Ask to see receipts and records, and look closely at the general condition. In fact I'd have a mechanic look it over and do a compression test to make sure it's sealing well.

-juice
  • Options
    grecorjgrecorj Member Posts: 1
    I just leased a 2005 CR-V EX. I'm enjoying it a lot.

One question: I've noticed that when I go over a speed bump or something similiar I hear a pronounced "squeak" from the front of the car. Is this normal? Has anyone else heard this noise on a new CR-V? Thanks!
  • Options
    xelitusxelitus Member Posts: 2
    I stand corrected.

Either way I live outside of Buffalo, NY and since our winters are oh so wonderful I think the splash guards (since roads tend to be covered with a lovely slush/saltwater sludge) should be standard equipment in this region! :)

I can't wait to see how the CRV handles the snow and ice this winter.

I'll let you know.
  • Options
    Probably the sway bars. They're metal and they move through a rubber bushing as the suspension moves and they twist.

Lube them with lithium grease. You can even buy some spray stuff.

Use lithium grease, and not anything petroleum-based, because lithium will not corrode rubber/plastics.

-juice
  • Options
    bunneebunnee Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy an SE in the near future, but I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to get the 2001 or would a 2000 be fine? What are the differences?
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Both years would be good, just pick the one that's been maintained best and with fewer miles.
  • Options
    bunneebunnee Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Mike. What are the differences between the two years? Are they worth worrying over? I found a 2001 SE with 38,000 miles on it...that's the lowest I've seen so far.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    You should be able to find the differences by appraising them using Edmunds, then click on one of the links to see the Editor's review.
  • Options
    There are no differences between 2000 and 2001, they are both Gen 1.5 which originated in 1999. Like mike said pick the one that is the best maintnaned. I would not worry about miles too much. The survey says that 60% of used cars out there have the odometers turned back. Look for tel tale signs of odometer fraud, such as worn pedals, flattened seats, deteriorated rubber parts (not the othes spayed with armor all), excessive tire wear for the miles, excessive brake wear for the miles... Run a Carfax and have it inspected by your mechanic or Honda dealer (not selling dealer if you are buying from a dealer) Before buying it. Carfax may tell you if the car has been hit, or how many owners it had, and it may detect odometer roll back if the person doing it was not very bright.
  • Options
    I think they only register major collisions, above a few grand or so. It won't capture an $800 fender bender. Just be aware of its limitations.

Have a mechanic do a compression test on the cylinders to make sure they are sealing well. Look for no more than 10% variance between the cylinders.

-juice
  • Options
    mrd2mrd2 Member Posts: 6
    Just wondering. I am considering a CRV SE - Pewter Pearl with black leather. Any experience with the black leather being hot in the summer? I am not worried if they are intially a little hotter when you first get in, but do they cool off once the air is on?
  • Options
    jopopsyjopopsy Member Posts: 65
    It'll take a good while longer to cool that V down. Between the outside and inside, your surfaces will be radiating heat easily 1/2 hour after you put that AC on.

You better wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt before hopping into that bad boy in the heat of summer !!!!!

Jopopsy
  • Options
    Just wondering. I am considering a CRV SE - Pewter Pearl with black leather. Any experience with the black leather being hot in the summer? I am not worried if they are intially a little hotter when you first get in, but do they cool off once the air is on?

This is one reason I would never buy leather again. I had 2001 CR-V SE, and the PLEATHER gets really hot in the summer and really cold int he winter. Honda resolved the cold part with seat warmers, but it is still going to be hot. I had the front windows tinted and put a shade on the dash to minimize the heat absorbtion, but it was still hot for shorts, or thin shirt.
  • Options
    I believe the seating surfaces are real leather. The backs and side bolsters might have vinyl, but I don't think the whole seat is that way.

-juice
  • Options
    I believe the seating surfaces are real leather. The backs and side bolsters might have vinyl, but I don't think the whole seat is that way.

-juice

Only the perforated portion is leather. There are two perforated pieces in the center of the seat cushion and the seat back. The rest is vinyl.
  • Options
    Their web site only has the cloth model in the photo gallery.

I think leather on the seating surfaces only is pretty industry standard, perhaps Honda cheated a little here but I don't think that's a big deal.

-juice
  • Options
    eilroseilros Member Posts: 35
    I'm currently talking with salesman about a 2000 SE. It's white, the exterior is a 9.5/10, interior is 9/10 and there are 61,000 miles on the odometer. They are asking $13,000. It needs new tires so I'll use that as negotiating leverage.

It's at a Toyota dealer and there is no Honda dealer in town to take it to for a pre-purchase inspection. The CARFAX report comes up clean with only one owner. Based on the mileage on the CARFAX report it appears that the vehicle has been on the lot since December 2004. The fact that it's been sitting there for 8 months kind of scares me. When I test drove it everything seemed fine except for the clunking/whining noise in the rear end when making sharp turns. I assume a fluid replacement would take care of that. Unfortunately there are no maintenance records with the vehicle, so I don't know the history. If I buy it, I'm taking it to a Honda dealer and having them do the 60K inspection (I figure I can knock some more off of the asking price for that).

I plan on taking it to a local mechanic for the pre-purchase inspection. What areas should I have him/her focus on? Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dave

http://www.carbase.com/pic/lloyd/449311_670475_640.jpg

http://www.carbase.com/pic/lloyd/449311_670477_640.jpg
  • Options
    eroseros Member Posts: 27
    Very informative forum. Of course, it's hard to know how much fear and loathing is behind all of the posts about the PTTR phenomenon!!!!

In any event, I'm a gal who is interested in purchasing a 2005 CR-V SE. I read that Honda had changed the 4WD system from the 2004 version which at times issued a "clunk" when the 4WD engaged. Is the 2005 revision much better?? Is it better or worse than the RAV-4 4WD??

Thanks,
  • Options
    rav4urav4u Member Posts: 21
    I test drove a CR-V LX AWD on the highway this week, it had no PTTR and drove straight as an arrow with no vibrations at all. I was impressed with the vehicle overall. The engine performance was good and the transmission operation was very smooth, better than than my RAV4 in both areas. To me the CR-V is a more solid vehicle inside and out and has a better interior, more comfortable seats. After I got back in my RAV4, I know I want a CR-V.
  • Options
    Very informative forum. Of course, it's hard to know how much fear and loathing is behind all of the posts about the PTTR phenomenon!!!!

In any event, I'm a gal who is interested in purchasing a 2005 CR-V SE. I read that Honda had changed the 4WD system from the 2004 version which at times issued a "clunk" when the 4WD engaged. Is the 2005 revision much better?? Is it better or worse than the RAV-4 4WD??

Thanks,

CR-V has AWD while RAV-4 is 4WD I believe.