Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    My thanks to Robr2 & Varmint! I appreciate your explanations on this topic. Edmunds and these forums have been very helpful!

I've been diligently researching new cars to find the "perfect" car & prepare to negotiate the best possible purchase. I'm confident of my decision for a new CR-V (it'll be my first Honda - previously had Fords & Chevrolet) - now to execute a good negotiation !
    Thanks again.

Just make sure you like the car for what it is, and not the new car smell. Someone coming from a line of Fords and Chevys may not like the little quirks that Honda owner would never even blink an eye at.

Honda engines are revvers, they like to be revved high, if you are uncomfortable with the idea of having engine pegged against the rev limiter, you may want to reconsider.

Honda engines don't have the gobs of torque at low RPM, so if you are expecting a neck snapping take offs, you may want to reconsider.

Honda makes the best manual transmissions, you may want to give that a try, if you want more power. Honda makes so-so automatics, and in many cases Honda engines mated to auto tranny's are detuned. (Prelude, TL-S...)

Honda interiors are diesigned with ergonomics as a major concern. Everything is withing a comfortable reach for an average person, but may not make sense to someone used to things in other places. Example would be the sunroof switch, it is not at the base of the sunroof, but to the left of the steering wheel. Some find it annoying, I have had many Hondas, and only the 2002 Si had the sunroof button at the base of the sunroof. Like I said everything is designed for an average person, if you are at the etiher edge of the average, you may find some things un-natural or un-comfortable.

Honda is not perfect, so don't be disappointed if you find some things are not what you wanted them to be, there is no perfect car. What is perfect to you is not perfect to me, or someone else.
  • Options
    kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    Will a redesign appear in the Fall of 2006 or will it be the Fall of 2007? I was surprised to see the pictures of the 2007 Highlander on Edmunds. I wonder if Honda will make that big a change in the CR-V.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Fall 2006. The CR-V will be labeled a 2007 model, but should be on the market at the end of 2006.

No idea what it will be like. I can tell you that'll be based on the upcoming RDX platform, but that doesn't really tell us much.
  • Options
    stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    I'm in Utah, having driven from northern Alabama in my '04 CR-V. I can report that for my less-than-perfect back, the CR-V was perfect. Very comfortable. No stiffness when getting out of the CR-V at rest stops.

One of the fun things about the CR-V is all of the flexibility you can find using the inside. The slide-out cup-holder holds Planters peanuts in a bottle, but if you turn it upside down. The door pockets will take a tall map, standing vertically. Beach towels are not a concern on trips because they'll fit in the well (where the spare tire goes on a sedan), along with food, wet wipes, and other small items.

The tray table comes in handy as a way of hiding a camera and binoculars. My Sony digital camera fits conveniently in that little, downward-angled cubby hole left of the steering wheel.

The CR-V handles the interstates well. No problem with power climbing up I-70 to the Eisenhower Tunnel.

It's a wonderful traveler.
  • Options
    chappydudechappydude Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a used CRV. The CRV has all-weather 205/70/R15 tires on it. I have a set of winter tires size 205/60/R15 from my old car. Are these tires compatible? How would they perform compared to a 205/70/R15?

THANKS
  • Options
    chappydudechappydude Member Posts: 2
    Hi Again, another question, different topic....I'm looking at a used CRV and test drove it yesterday. I was not very impressed by the power but I am still considering it. I will use the car a lot for driving in the mountains for skiing, and I'd like to hear some comments on performance in the mountains. Is it adequate? Will I find myself unable to pass slow-moving cars on the uphill? It's not hugely important, but I don't want to find myself severly under-powered.

THANKS

EDIT: 2001 Honda CRV with a 147hp 2.0L Engine (VTEC?)
  • Options
    Hi Again, another question, different topic....I'm looking at a used CRV and test drove it yesterday. I was not very impressed by the power but I am still considering it. I will use the car a lot for driving in the mountains for skiing, and I'd like to hear some comments on performance in the mountains. Is it adequate? Will I find myself unable to pass slow-moving cars on the uphill? It's not hugely important, but I don't want to find myself severly under-powered.

THANKS

EDIT: 2001 Honda CRV with a 147hp 2.0L Engine (VTEC?)

2001 does not have VTEC. If you like CR-V, but want more pep, look for a 5 speed one. Those are more fun to drive.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    You cannot use the 205/60-15 tires.. They are much shorter than the 205/70-15..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I agree.. If you are concerned about power, stick with the 5-speed, or move up to an '02 or later model with the bigger engine....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    pierrebpierreb Member Posts: 9
    Just got my new V and just noticed the following. When accelerating and letting go of the gaz pedal the vehicle slowly decelerates instead of coasting. IN otherwords the Auto Trany acts like a Clutch based system in that you can use the engine decompression to brake when staying on the same gear.

Any thought? :shades:
  • Options
    That would be normal. It's commonly called "engine braking" and it's the result of using relatively short gearing ratios for the transmission.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Those are indeed not nearly as tall, and you'd give up a lot of ground clearance, something that is important when you have acculumated snow on the ground.

Sell them used, and pick up a properly sized set.

In fact, if I changed the size at all, I would go taller, not shorter, for winter.

-juice
  • Options
    twain78twain78 Member Posts: 2
    when my rear differential kicks in on the back passenger side tire, it makes a low shaking, vibrating, almost grinding type noise.

you can actually feel a slight vibration in the car and from holding the steering wheel..

i've noticed it in the snow, but i really notice it everytime i turn my steering wheel completely to the right and start to move the car, the sound and vibration began, definitely coming from the back passenger tire.

any idea what this is and what it could cost to fix?

thx!
  • Options
    Is the air pressure in the tires set evenly?

-juice
  • Options
    Read this:

varmint, "Honda CR-V Owners: FAQ" #3, 22 Nov 2003 1:10 pm

If your symptoms sound like the condition described in that post, it's a very simple fix - not any more difficult than changing the oil.
  • Options
    twain78twain78 Member Posts: 2
    that sounds exactly like the problem.

sorry, i started to read more in depth after i posted my question, and came across
    the same conclusion about the fluid being replaced.

its does seem like a very common question.

thank you for your time and help.
    much appreciated.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
  • Options
    carman7carman7 Member Posts: 3
    I am buying a cr-v SE and was quoted invoice + 515 destination +198 Documents charge. This seems like a little bogus to me. Any opinions?

Thanks
  • Options
    You should check out this thread...

Prices Paid

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    You're in the spotlight!

I'd like to thank the academy, my producers, mom and dad for their support, my hair stylist for suggesting the hat, the makers of PhotoShop, Reynolds Wrap for making my alien mind control-proof head gear, the box division of Fridgidaire for providing me with housing, Officer Brannigan for ignoring those...umm... "infractions", KarenS for taking a bribe in rolled coins...
  • Options
    hondamikehondamike Member Posts: 1
    Hello. Can any 2002 Honda CR-V owners help me out on identifying the difference between the two set of VIN# (JHLRD... vs SHSRD...) for the CR-V? The only thing I know is the CR-V that are manufactured in Japan have the "JHLRD" and the CR-V that are manufactured in England have the "SHSRD".

I live in US and have a 1998 CR-V EX until I got into an accident two weeks ago that I totaled my beloved CR-V. Now, I'm seriously thinking about buying an used 2002 CR-V EX because of the newer design. But I'm afraid of the quality differences between the ones made in England and the ones made in Japan. Did any 2002 CR-V owners, who have either VIN# on their CR-V, notice any difference? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mike
  • Options
    That is the whole difference..

"S" is for Swindon, England

"J" is for Japan..

I have a "J" model, but just by luck of the draw... I don't care, and wouldn't have cared either way....

I also had a '98... mine was totaled also.. .that is how I got the '02..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    suvtimesuvtime Member Posts: 58
    I was recently talking to someone who owns a 2004 CR-V who is trying to tell me that an oil change at the dealership costs about $75 Canadian. I'm assuming the guy doesn't know what he's talking about, as this seems way too much for an oil change. So what does a oil and filter change really cost at a Honda dealership in Canada?

Thanks
  • Options
    Hello. Can any 2002 Honda CR-V owners help me out on identifying the difference between the two set of VIN# (JHLRD... vs SHSRD...) for the CR-V? The only thing I know is the CR-V that are manufactured in Japan have the "JHLRD" and the CR-V that are manufactured in England have the "SHSRD".

I live in US and have a 1998 CR-V EX until I got into an accident two weeks ago that I totaled my beloved CR-V. Now, I'm seriously thinking about buying an used 2002 CR-V EX because of the newer design. But I'm afraid of the quality differences between the ones made in England and the ones made in Japan. Did any 2002 CR-V owners, who have either VIN# on their CR-V, notice any difference? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mike

Most of 2002's should be from Japan. Later Honda desided that East coast US will get UK built CR-V, while West coast will get Japan made CR-V's. However, manual CR-Vs only come from Japan, for both coasts, and I beleive SE's come from Japan as well.

Like Kyfdx said S is for UK, J is for Japan. When looking at CR-V's check the first letter of the VIN#.

Generally, there should be no difference between UK and Japan made ones, but most people prefer Japan made.

I have a 2005 Japan made EX with a manual.
  • Options
    I was recently talking to someone who owns a 2004 CR-V who is trying to tell me that an oil change at the dealership costs about $75 Canadian. I'm assuming the guy doesn't know what he's talking about, as this seems way too much for an oil change. So what does a oil and filter change really cost at a Honda dealership in Canada?

Thanks

Sounds right for a fully synthetic Mobil 1 oil change.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    My Dad has a Swindon made 02 CRV EX Auto. He has about 59K on it. The only repair he has in over 3 years of ownership was an oxygen sensor about 2 weeks ago. He's very happy with it.
  • Options
  • Options
    carquerycarquery Member Posts: 35
    I'm looking to buy a smaller SUV that will be used 90% of the time in city driving. I have two small kids, so I have 2 car seats in back. My Subaru Outback feels claustrophobic now with the car seats installed. I want to find a good city vehicle that gets good mileage that has some breathing room for all the occupants. I kind of like the idea of the Scion Xb (good mileage, roomy interior), but there's no crash-test data, and the safety features seem kinda skimpy (and no AWD).

So, I think I've narrowed it down to the Element and CRV, but would love to hear current owners' opinions (especially those with kids) on safety, mileage and roominess. Any thoughts would be really helpful.

Thanks!
  • Options
    dognut54dognut54 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    Wondering when I should do the first oil change on my new 2005 CRV. Some folks say 1000 mi; other things I have read say some new vehicles have special oil in new vehicles and should not be changed right away.
    Thanks, Nancy
  • Options
    inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    Nancy, You can wait and not change your oil for 4 months or 5000 miles. Some owners follow the 10,000 mile or 1 year recommendations by Honda, check your manual. I don't feel comfortable with 10k so I change at 5k.
  • Options
    Hi all,
    Wondering when I should do the first oil change on my new 2005 CRV. Some folks say 1000 mi; other things I have read say some new vehicles have special oil in new vehicles and should not be changed right away.
    Thanks, Nancy

It is all spelled out in the OWNER's MANUAL. It is your Friend.
  • Options
    I'm looking to buy a smaller SUV that will be used 90% of the time in city driving. I have two small kids, so I have 2 car seats in back. My Subaru Outback feels claustrophobic now with the car seats installed. I want to find a good city vehicle that gets good mileage that has some breathing room for all the occupants. I kind of like the idea of the Scion Xb (good mileage, roomy interior), but there's no crash-test data, and the safety features seem kinda skimpy (and no AWD).

So, I think I've narrowed it down to the Element and CRV, but would love to hear current owners' opinions (especially those with kids) on safety, mileage and roominess. Any thoughts would be really helpful.

Thanks!

I test drove both, while I liked the odd styling of the Element and the placement of the shifter, I did not like the top heaviness of it, and it seemed a little slower off the line. CR-V on the other hand, drives like a car, and I liked that.

Since you mentioned car seats, I think Element has more room in the rear for access, but you have to open the front doors to open the rear suicide doors. The rear seats are higher than the front, stadium style, which may be Ok for some, but if you ever plan on having tall adults in the rear, they will complain. I had to lower my head the sit in the rear seats, which may be a cause for neck strain on long rides. On the other hand, Element has neoprene seats and plastic floor, which is great of your kids like to throw food around (or get car sick alot), you can just hose off the interior and be done with it, while CR-V has cloth seats and carpeting.

I think the best thing for you is to stop by your Honda dealer on a weekday, when they are not busy, and play with both. See which one you like better.
  • Options
    bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    Hi Nancy,
    I waited until 9800 miles for the 1st oil change. I think a happy medium would be 7500 mile intervals, unless you drive under the severe schedule in the manual.
  • Options
    My issue with the Element, is what happens once your kids are old enough to get out of the car on their own? You'll have to get out and let them out, as you can't open the back doors, without first opening the front...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I stay with the 10K service interval, but I change the oil/filter every 5K.. (no good reason).

The one positive, is this puts me in the dealer about every 4 months, so I never end up having to buy washer fluid, etc, etc... and any niggling problem that I have can usually wait until the next oil change...

Plus it is easy to stay on the 10K interval that way...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    xB has a big back seat but you'd give up a ton of cargo space compared to your Outback. The rear head rests are very close to the back window.

With 2 kids I'd recomment the CR-V, because in the Element you'll have to open the front doors to let the kids out, and that means you have to undo the front seat belts since they're anchored in the doors. What a hassle.

CR-V also has a full size spare and more safety equipment now. Element does have the nifty cargo area and the clam shell rear gate, though. Plus they're just quirky-cool. CR-V is slightly more efficient and has better crash test scores.

Good luck shopping.

-juice
  • Options
    I'll just echo what Juice wrote above.

If you are looking at buying within the next few months, the CR-V is probably better for your needs. All models come with ABS, both curtain-style and seat-mounted side airbags, and stability control. All in all it adds up to a better package for safety.

These items will likely be added to the Element this year, but not for a while.
  • Options
    mikee3mikee3 Member Posts: 4
    I have found a TSB for 2002 CRV's and for 2003 Elements but none for the 2003 CRV. Is there one out there for the 2003??? Also does a TSB mean that even though I am past 36000 miles they might fix it under an extended type warrenty? I have been quoted $225.00 to get the bushings replaced. Please let me know soon as I need to bring it in tomorrow for some other work.

Thanks, Mike
  • Options
    lucyinfinitilucyinfiniti Member Posts: 17
    I really wish Honda would change the taillights on the CR-V. They're so ugly near the top of the vehicle bring them down to eye level so drivers can actually see them. Really, they're just hideous. But then somebody must like them if they buy the car. Oh wait nope, most people buy it cause it says Honda on the front. WHO CARES!!!!! All you're doing is paying for the brand name. Honda doesn't even make good vehicles anymore. The dealers could care less about the customer and won't budge on price when dealing what so ever. And not to mention that Honda has the biggest rating of rusting out.... like a Japanese Ford. But then Hondas aren't even Japanese anymore, most are made in the US! :P
  • Options
    Tell us how you really feel. LOL

-juice
  • Options
    The taillights are up there because that's eye level for a driver following the vehicle. Unless you drive hunched over, looking out from between the top of the steering wheel and the surface of your dash, hood-height taillights are lower than eye level.

As for the rest.. well... you're welcome to your opinion. Hope you enjoy it.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "On the other hand, Element has neoprene seats and plastic floor, which is great of your kids like to throw food around (or get car sick alot), you can just hose off the interior and be done with it, while CR-V has cloth seats and carpeting."

You cannot use a hose on the interior of the Element; it is not waterproof, and is not recommended. You can clean it with mild detergent and water, unlike carpet.

I didn't buy the Element because it only seats 4 and it has a maximum load of 675 lbs, about 200 less than the CR-V. Heck, that's only a couple of adults and some cargo, not a family of 4 out for a week's vacation.
  • Options
    lucyinfinitilucyinfiniti Member Posts: 17
    It just seems like the CR-V needs a good overall ( lose the stupid tailight design). Honda has let it's self get surpassed in styling when it comes to small SUVs. They have focused to much on changing the Odyssey a million times over. Even other manufacturers have surpassed the CR-V in styling (actually many SUVs are too boxy for this day in age). Dare I say that even Hyundai's Tucson or even Kia's new Sportage have surpassed Honda in style. By the way that new Sportage is pretty darn good looking IMO.
  • Options
    mikee3mikee3 Member Posts: 4
    Anybody???? Don't want my post to get lost in light of the recent CRV bashing posts.

I have found a TSB for 2002 CRV's and for 2003 Elements but none for the 2003 CRV. Is there one out there for the 2003??? Also does a TSB mean that even though I am past 36000 miles they might fix it under an extended type warrenty? I have been quoted $225.00 to get the bushings replaced. Please let me know soon as I need to bring it in tomorrow for some other work.

Thanks, Mike
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Ah! Style; beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I happen to like the style of the tailights mounted where they are, although I think the 2005 clear top portion looks stupid. I preferred the yellow lens for the turn signal.

JM2C
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Follow this link and do a search:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

As an FYI, TSB's are not always warranty issues. TSB's many times are tips for the service personnel helping to diagnose a problem or simply updates to the service manuals.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some more here:

You, Your Vehicle and the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)

Check out Technical Service Bulletins here in the Forum too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I have found a TSB for 2002 CRV's and for 2003 Elements but none for the 2003 CRV. Is there one out there for the 2003?"

I can't speak to the TSB, but I had my 2003 'seat rocking' fixed under warranty at about 24K last year.
  • Options
    chiefjschiefjs Member Posts: 39
    I just bought a 05 SE. While doing the paperwork there was one paper recommending the first oil change be between 2000 and 3000.

The manual says 5,000.

I later talked with the service manager about this and he said to stick with the 5,000. That is all that is necessary. He could not understand why the salesman had a paper recommending the 2-3,000 first change.
  • Options
    gujushahgujushah Member Posts: 4
    HELLO EVERYONE....I HAVE A 2001 HONDA CR-V....EVERYTIME I TURN, AND HOLD THE TURN, (LIKE MAKING A U-TURNOR SOMETHING), THE CAR MAKES A NOISE.....ON BOTH SIDES.....ANY IDEAS ON WHAT'S WRONG...

i TOOK IT TO A MECHANIC AND THEY CHANGED THE WHEEL BEARINGS BUT NO CHANGE....
    PLEASE OPEN FOR HELP...THANKS....