Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• Options
    jaybee85jaybee85 Member Posts: 25
    wolveseatsheep -

Like you, I'm looking forward to seeing the 2009, and expecting SH-AWD to be added. I'm guessing about $2500 more, based on hazy memories of the jump in price from 2004 to 2005 RL, when SH-AWD was added, and of the price difference between FWD and AWD versions of Infiniti G35, Audi A6 and Volvo S80. I guess the 2009 TL will be kept below $40k for the base with nav and SH-AWD - maybe $39k. The new RL will be well into the $50's if a larger engine is added.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting with my 1999 RL at 95k miles, worried about major repairs coming up before the new TL comes through, plus maybe a year for seasoning. I have thought about buying or leasing a 2008 TL or buying a 2005 - 2007 TL for the meantime. I'm having a hard time deciding how to play the interim period.
  • Options
    liscaprez1liscaprez1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a "99 TL , a '04 TL and a '03 Vette. The Acuras are great daily drivers, BUT the rear seat and trunk got smaller. I hope the 09 gets a larger trunk and rear seat (leg room) and AWD. Watch out, Infinity and BMW ! OR Make the RL larger. At this level Acura Should have a model that can seat 4 adults without anyone having to eat their kneecaps for lunch.

Liscaprez
  • Options
    hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Honda/Acura does an excellent job of guarding information on new models.
  • Options
    grumblesdclowngrumblesdclown Member Posts: 20
    I think [2] is likely and [1] is possible; don't see much likelihood for [3]. My gut feeling is the '08 will be discounted more when the '09 hits the market. It's always been that way, and long ago I got a great deal on a '89 Integra when the remodeled '90s came out. More recently, I almost bought a 530i when they were remodeled ('05?). The deals were outrageously good on the old style even though the new model was controversial.

If you absolutely love the current model, the extra savings might not be worth the wait. If you think you might have buyers regret when the new ones come out, then wait.
  • Options
    skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    If you like the '08, why wait? (I'm a poet and I didn't even know it...) Particularly when they can be had for at or around $2K under invoice right now.

As for the '09 being AWD, I suppose this is possible but why would someone down south or in CA or AZ want an AWD "performance sedan"?
  • Options
    wolveseatsheepwolveseatsheep Member Posts: 41
    Yeah that's a damn fine question. Geek that I am, it's really an updated (on par with Garmin) Navi and keyless fob that would be the bigger draws for me on the 09. On the other, other hand, the 09's being the first of the 4th Gen, will undoubtedly have issues on par with the 04 (like vibration, which I'm still nervous hasn't been fixed through 08's.) Decisions, decisions.

I will probably buy an 08 this week. One of my local dealers still has an 07 - think they'd have any reason to go lower on the 07 than an 08 or are the incentives the same for them?
  • Options
    I think the incentive is $500 better for the '07, but for that little I'd personally get the '08.
  • Options
    why?
  • Options
    You think an 08 vs 07 would make a resale difference (considering the milage would be the same)? The 08 differences seem negligible to me - not worth $500... Just wondering your logic.

After being revised for 2007, the 2008 Acura TL receives
    parchment to all TL interior trim when paired with exterior color of White Diamond Pearl or Carbon Bronze Pearl,
    an updated vehicle security immobilizer system, two new exterior colors expansion to 76 metropolitan areas for the AcuraLink real-time traffic system.
  • Options
    Well, if you're going to keep it more than 6-8 years I'd agree the value difference between the '07 and '08 is negligible. But the shorter you hold it the more the value of the '07 vs. '08 comes into play. I think there are two factors, at least, to (perceived) depreciation: miles and age.
  • Options
    I spent my holidays car shopping and decided to go with the Luxus IS350. Big price difference considering the current TL fire sales, but man what a car the 350 is. Good luck Acura with the 09s.
  • Options
    23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    the current lease incentives on the TLs run until jan 2nd. then it's anyone's guess as to what will happen.

i wonder if things willj ust stay the same, or get better.

given the market, and the 09s around the corner - i cant's ee them making the TL MORE expensive / less attractivefinancing. they need tom ove the 08s.

anyone have any inside scoop on whether the buying/leasing incentives will remain, get better, or ??
  • Options
    billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    I will take an educated guess and say the incentives will be MUCH more attractive.
  • Options
    ideadirectideadirect Member Posts: 5
    What I struggle with is not as much the price difference between 08 vs 09 but you also have to factor in the discounts and incentives. I happen to love everything about the 08 but wish it had SH-AWD.
    My guess is that SH-AWD will be on the TL-S. I'll also venture to guess this raises the MSRP by $3000 to $41,940. You will probably pay sticker for a new model year with SH-AWD but even if you got it down to $41K, you can get a 08 TL-S for $35K today ($2000 negotiation and $2000 dealer incentive). So the price difference of $6000 is certainly something to make one ponder the value of 08 vs 09.
  • Options
    23109vc23109vc Member Posts: 218
    you hit the nail on the head.

the 09 will probably have SH-AWD. and it will probably cost more and they will not be so willing to deal on them. they will be getting very close to sticker, i would assume. unless we go into an economic recession and nobody buys cars... :)

so do you want to wait for the tl with awd, and pay 6000 more or take an 08 at a discount.

decisions.
  • Options
    rnmomrnmom Member Posts: 32
    I am at the same crossroads My husband loves his Acura it is his second He is driving at 2005 the lease is up Feb 2009 He is hoping the lease is still in our price range If not we haven a clue on what to look for he loves the ride on his car. We have a Rav 4 so space isnt at the top of the list but havent a clue what to look for Any suggestions
  • Options
    yooin14yooin14 Member Posts: 2
    im thinking of leasing 2008 TL when 2009 TL comes out so that i can get something much incentive deals and much more reduced price compared to todays.

But here i have main qeustion.

is TL-Type S also dropping its price as well ??
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    any discounts Acura puts to move the 2008s would apply to ALL TLs- Type S or not...

When do the 09s come out, anyways?
  • Options
    rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Fall of 08. A concept could debut in NY. It will be very interesting.
  • Options
    eroc69eroc69 Member Posts: 56
    I have a nice 07 Camry V-6 for sale, :P
  • Options
    fozzyfoefozzyfoe Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know if Acura will offer a 3.7 V-6 with more than 300HP? Will they offer a turbo option such as the RSX? I heard that transmission is much improved but not sure exactly how. Does anyone know about that? I hope that the new 09 TL and Type-S can hang with the new G37 in terms of performance. Any info helps. Thanks.
  • Options
    I agree with all of these wishlist items except for the hatchback option. I like the current trunk from my 07 TL Type-S. I would definitely recommend a more powerful stereo w/ DVD video playback functionality. The 410 watt system would work but something around 500 watt with dual subs would be better. I would increase the level of customization options with the LCD and information display. I would like to be able to track the mileage better. I would also like more vehicle diagnostic information in this system. After that, I would definitely want an even more ferocious engine and handling package either as an option or standard. I need to be able to smoke those G37's and 335's! I would add even more technology items such as cooling seats, auto start, custom dash led's, more rear seat options (radio, headphones, video, laptop power plugs, etc.) Acura really needs to set the standard again with performance, technology, and styling. We will soon see if they can live up to the competition.
  • Options
    The 09 TL will have plenty of power. Chris Doane who does spy photography says it was able to go over the speed limit on a twisty test road. Thats with a ton of camo. Most of my info says 3.5 and 3.7. Type-S will get the more powerful engine. Perhaps SH-AWD is a Type-S exclusive. Acura is very interested in turning type-S into Acura's AMG/M division.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    No to hatchback (unless it is in the form of a wagon), keyless push button start, turbo, panaramic roof, and Accord-like super-sizing!

Yes to SH-AWD, 300+ hp, and a security system from the 21st Century.
  • Options
    I really dont understand what SH_AWD is (all wheel drive ) I guess Iam interested in the desgin as my 2005 lease is up Feb 2009 .My husband has had 2 Tl and love them Not sure if we will go for the 2009 if not redesigned and what about price
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    SH-AWD is an all wheel drive system that is engaged all the time. In my MDX, under normal driving conditions(i.e. cruising) most of the pwer goes to the front wheels w/ just a touch going to the rear wheels. This is better for gas mileage. When wheel slippage is detected, more power goes to wheels w/ more grip much like other AWD systems. Whats different from SH-AWD and those other systems is the former can send torque to an outside wheel during "spirited driving" which greatly enhances handling. Imagine taking a hard left turn, w/ SH-AWD the right rear tire gets more torque actually pushing the vehicle out of the turn. If the torque went to the left rear tire, you would most likely experience oversteer (you would spin out). I have to be honest with you, the car has to be pushed pretty hard to activate that feature and isn't of much use during my daily commute. I do plan this summer however to take the MDX to Watkins Glen Speedway and run around the track a few times. They let you do it when there is no race going on of course!
  • Options
    Nice! That sounds pretty amazing. I will definitely sell my 07 type-s for the new one if it performs as good as this sounds. I hope everything is upgraded. Do you have a link to this test information?
  • Options
    According to a salesman at a MD Acura dealership, the '09 TSX will be introduced at the New York Auto Show, and go on sale this spring, while the TL will go on sale in the fall. He didn't have details about either car, other than he understands the TL will be available with FWD and SH-AWD, and the "S" version will be introduced one year later.
  • Options
    kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I was interested in an 08 TL-S but with all this news about a new 09 TL I am hesitant now. I really don't need the extra power but SH-AWD will be nice. However, being that it will be brand new, I doubt that Acura will move at all on the price. Another decision is between the base TL and S-type edition. I love the look of the S-type (grill,wheels, side-markers,exhaust) but I'm not so big into peformance (I don't drive like a mad man)but prefer more of a luxury /soft ride. Any opinions as far as the ride w/ the sport suspension?
  • Options
    My husband love our 05 TL the lease is up 2/09 He is looking for another Acura what is SH-AWD
  • Options
    The sport suspension would be overkill for you. You'll be happier and save money by going with the standard TL.
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Super Handling All Wheel Drive. Ultimate traction for a sport sedan if the TL gets it, as reported.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Ultimate traction, yes, but not ultimate balance, since it'll be based on FWD architecture, unlike the BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac, and Chrysler 300 AWD systems, which are RWD based. RWD based AWD systems have close to 50-50 weight distribution, versus about 60-40 for SH-AWD. Also, all AWD systems have a weight penalty. I don't believe AWD is automatically better than 2WD; I think it depends on where and how you use your car. The same goes for FWD versus RWD. What it boils down to is that all systems have tradeoffs. These comments have been stated and repeated many times in Edmunds discussions, but I mention them because they're relevant to the FWD versus SH-AWD discussion.
  • Options
    gasnetgasnet Member Posts: 49
    Yes a G35 without awd can beat a TL-s 0-60.But the TL does everthing else better.Yes than means handling also.Read road & track the G35 came in last.Also most people on the east coast order awd and that makes the car slower.I can beat a g35 awd with my TL-S.Drive a TL before you badmouth FWD.
  • Options
    I didn't read where anyone was bad-mouthing FWD. Did I miss something? I've been driving FWD cars for 20 years, heck my last rear wheel drive ride was a '79 Plymouth Volare (with a Super-Six!) :P
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    "...my last rear wheel drive ride was a '79 Plymouth Volare (with a Super-Six!) "

Voooolare!!! Wo Wo Wo Wo!!!

Don't tell me: Beige with beige vinyl roof?

I'm a FWDer too. My last RWD was my my father's Datsun 260Z...

Purists often deride FWD due to nose-heavy,understeer handling. But I think Honda/Acura does a pretty good FWD, handling-wise. And I'll make the 9/10ths handling trade off for the snow traction and packaging advantages. Until I buy my Jag, of course...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Two-tone beige and tan....and who sang that song on the commercials? Was it Ricardo Montalbon?
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    I don't think it was Khan, I mean Montalban... I can hear the original song in my head (along with all those voices... :surprise: ) but I'm not sure who sang the original "Volare?" Dean Martin? Song was before my time, I believe.

Did you sell it before the beige started turning rust?!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    The singer who popularized the song Volare was an Italian, Domenico Modugno (1928-1994).
  • Options
    chirocatchirocat Member Posts: 73
    Speaking of Khan, my last RWD was indeed a 1976 Chrysler Cordoba, sans the Corinthian Leather. It was a royal POS.

I was afraid to wait for the 09 TL because it is doubtful that the AWD will be offered with a manual trans. Honda killed the 6MT with the Accord, now maybe Acura will, then the choices for a manual trans will be smaller but will thankfully include the new G8 Pontiac from Holden.

In 99% of situations the FWD car is better than AWD and RWD for a daily driver. Less weight, better mileage and good overall traction. I have about 1400 Miles on my 08 TL-S now and only a couple times have I wanted a RWD, and that was just so I could do some juvenile power oversteer.
  • Options
    Did they manage to tame that torque steer on your TLS? My '05 had a moderate dose and when I put the snows on, watch out! The SH-AWD on my MDX is torque-steer-free and I assume will perform the same on the '09 TL.
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    You guys are dating yourselves...

Even I feel young now! :P
  • Options
    "Honda killed the 6MT with the Accord..."

It's still offered with the '08 V6 Coupe, is it not?
  • Options
    Yeah, i just went to the honda website and they offer manual on all the trim levels.
  • Options
    But the 6MT on only the V6 Coupe, I think.
  • Options
    Sigh, yes. The 6MT is only available with the coupe and for some reason it gets worse mileage ratings...not to mention it is kinda ugly. I seriously thought about the coupe but occasionally my parents (in their 70's) and my nephew come to visit and I can easily cart them all around in a sedan. Also of note was that when I bought my TL-S there were no "deals" on the new Accord. I picked up my TL-S for just a little more than the MSRP of the new Accord. Then consider the cache and extra luxury of the Acura....well enough said.

The TL-S does have some torque steer, and if you want to goose it around a turn or especially if there is a puddle or some other less than perfect traction surface......HOLD ON! I usually try to make sure I have both hands on the wheel if I am going to nail it. From a straight line, hardly a tug.

Sad to think that Audi can offer a AWD performance sedan with a manual, but nobody else can. An AWD 300+ HP TL-S 6MT would be quite a package!
  • Options
    billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    BMW offers AWD performance with manuals.
  • Options
    There will be a FF and SH-AWD model. The SH-AWD model will get a larger engine. Rumored to be a 3.5 and 3.7L engine. XM weather info will be offered on the navigation model. Enhanced navigation will RDX, RL, MDX like knob. The 3.7L engine will suppsoedly have over 300 HP. More like 306 but there is only so much you can do with vtec. Supposedly it will have A-vtec but who knows. 6 Speed auto is still in the cards. The FF model will probably get a variant of the current TL-S engine.
  • Options
    Are these reliable rumors, or just some guys making stuff up? My Acura guys don't know anything about two drive trains for the TL. There will be two for the TSX. :confuse:
  • Options
    Yes they do, but unfortunately they can't seem to offer the performance engines like the 335( I think). They are also priced well above Acura. They are great cars, and I considered a pre-owned 335 or Audi S4 but even a 2005 model wasn't competitive with a new Acura. I'm sure I will keep my TL-S for a long time, I am quite happy with it, it has just the right compromises for my driving style.