Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    You may be right, Juice. But what I've been told is that the FF-L and the FM platforms are essentially kissing cousins. The only major difference being which wheels are driven.
  • Options
    The current CR-V is classified on Edmunds.com as a mid-size SUV because the interior passenger volume is right on the cusp of the small and mid-size classifications. If I recall correctly, 1 cu.ft. less would make it a compact SUV.

(Technically, the LX is a mid-size and the EX/SE models are compacts because the moonroof cuts into the cabin volume.)

The new one is likely to be a compact. And it's possible the new RAV4 now has more than 106 cubes for passengers. So, they would be in different classes.

But the reality is that Edmunds doesn't know anymore than you or I. I mean, they post a pic from an Australian website and claim the CR-V has gotten smaller. Yet the text that goes along with that pic claims it has gotten larger.

If anybody is getting the story straight it's because they guessed right. ;)
  • Options
    jowettjowett Member Posts: 12
    A canadian online auto magazine today quotes a "source" that says CRV will be available with a hybrid powertrain in late 2006.
    Also claims FIT will come with the Insight hybrid powertrain in 2007
    Anyone with confirmation of this?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Wouldn't be too surprising since even Porsche is supposedly working on a hybrid Cayenne. There's nothing recent in the rumor mill over in the Future Hybrids: Which Model Will Be Next? discussion but that would be another place to ask.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    AHA! That's exactly what I recommended for someone else because of the noise my 2002 Civic was making recently. Glad to hear it's not something just my car was experiencing.
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    I have an 02 lx 2wd well the crv is in FL me VA A friend is giving me a set of rims/tires from an 02 accord four log nuts will this fit the crv.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I don't think so...isn't it a 5x100mm lug pattern on the 'V?

-juice
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,667
    5 X 114.3, I'm pretty sure... same as the Pilot and Odyssey...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    chong67chong67 Member Posts: 8
    I am about to flush my raditor in my 2002 CR-V.

Can anyone give me the details on how to flush and do I have to buy the genuine Honda antifreeze fluid?

thanks!
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    IIRC, Honda is pretty picky on coolant. I'd go with their's to avoid any future issues.
  • Options
    chong67chong67 Member Posts: 8
    Is there any steps on how to do it?
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    thanks guys.
    fig
  • Options
    lgslgs Member Posts: 27
    Hi guys,

I'm cross shopping the 06 CRV and the 06 Rav4, both being the 4 cyl versions.

The CRV seems to clearly be the better vehicle for the money, due to the fact that it has a 5spd auto, and side curtain airbags.

I'm confused as to what the hype is on the new Rav4, considering it doesn't have these features, (air bags only on the highest trims, which I don't want to pay for, and a 4spd auto on the 4cyl) despite being recently redesigned, and commands a price premium at the dealer.

Am I missing something, or should I just go ahead with the CRV purchase. I don't intend to wait for the CRV redesign.
  • Options
    vagabondchefvagabondchef Member Posts: 107
    I plan on buying a 06 CRV 4WD LX Auto as this is the last year they will made in Japan and have the best build quality by far. The New 07 CRV's will be lower and more car-like in size next year and will cost more. I've driven the 06 RAV and was dissapointed as the build quality is way down. I plan to buy a CRV and keep it as long as I can and get 200000 miles out of it.

I would go ahead and buy the CRV. You can't go wrong with the price, qality and the gas mileage.

All my friends have them and love them, plus the insurance and upkeep is cheap.

Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    leavenfish1leavenfish1 Member Posts: 65
    "The New 07 CRV's will be lower and more car-like in size next year and will cost more."

Eh?? I read on this forum that it will be BIGGER and more like the RAV4
  • Options
    Most of the hype stems from the availability of the V6. Without it, the new RAV4 is nice, but not ground breaking.

That said, I think the 4 cyl RAV has some strong points. They managed to keep a good dose of "sport" in its handling. Maybe not as good as the previous models, but still pretty good.
  • Options
    Nobody knows anything for certain about the next CR-V. So far, we've had various sites post the same spy pictures with some concluding the new model is bigger and others concluding it is smaller. The original publisher of the photos (an Australian magazine) claims the vehicle has grown, but the dimensions they published are in fact smaller than the current vehicle. Mixed messages galore.

The current CR-V is already bigger than the new RAV4. Though I guess that depends on which dimensions you're look at when you measure. Are we talking length, height, interior space?
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I plan on buying a 06 CRV 4WD LX Auto as this is the last year they will made in Japan and have the best build quality by far.

Only some are made in Japan. If you are on the west coast you have a good chance of finding a Japan made LX. Most of the CR-V's on the east coast are from England, except for SE's and Manual EX's, which are mostly from Japan.
  • Options
    Regardless, the differences in quality between the UK and Japan-built CR-Vs are not worth fussing over. Products from the UK plant have won many awards for quality and dependability.

Honda uses the same quality control provisions and procedures in all their plants. If Swindon were a brand new facility, I might be concerned. But it's been operational for a long time.
  • Options
    The V6 and the 3rd row have drawn a lot of attention for the new RAV4. Plus it's a fresh design. There's also a DVD option, and rims up to 18" in size.

Things like those drew raves from the media. That gets the attention of consumers.

Your basic 4 cylinder model without all of those isn't nearly as exciting, but those things get buyers in to dealerships, and they'll often settle for less without even realizing it.

Having said that, even the basic vehicle isn't bad, 23/28 MPG for a 4cyl auto/AWD, 16" rims, plenty of space, plenty of dealers to service them, and longer powertrain coverage.

-juice
  • Options
    fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    As long as the spare is off the rear door and the rear window flips up I will take the 2007 CR-V over the RAV4 any day.
  • Options
    A new rendering of the 2007 CR-V has surfaced and it includes many of the same styling we've in the ugly photochop from a few months ago. It also includes some of the details we saw in the spy pic of the back end. In short, it has some credibility.

The CR-V has been Tribecafied. :cry:
  • Options
    stm378stm378 Member Posts: 9
    Var,

Where might this new rendering be located? I wanted to check it out and see what you meant.

-S-

BTW, good use of your new word, maybe one day we'll see Tribecafied in Websters.
  • Options
    Temple of VTEC. News and Rumors. Currently the first article.

I'm sure Inside Line will have an article on it soon.
  • Options

I hot-linked to their photo for copyright purposes...

Dunno, I actually think the D-pillar looks OK from this angle, much better than the previous rendering. It's more Infiniti FX and less sagging Minivan. Let's hope it looks more like this from the profile.

The grille is OK, I just wished the lower intake lined up with the headlights, that would make more sense, create a better flow.

-juice
  • Options
    wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    I'm thinking that's what this rendering is. The D pillar is identical to the Rd-x, not the "Stream-like" one shown in the spy photos. Looks like the taillights are conventionally placed too, not the "upper tier" lights the CR-V has had from the start and continued on the mule caught testing in Australia. I think they just took an Rd-x and put in elements of the grill shown on some earlier renderings. Too bad there was no news on the Stream in the article, as that's due in Japan even before the new CR-V.
    Anyway, we should be seeing something concrete fairly soon.
    If it does resemble this, it would seem Honda is emphasizing "sport" at the expense of "utility"
  • Options
    No, not just a photochop. I mean, yes, it's a rendering. It's not a photo. But it's not just an artist's best guess. The guy who created that image has seen the real deal.

Here's another spy shot. It's from the side, so you cannot see the grille or nose. However, you can see the same protruding lower bumper which curves out from under the headlights. There are also many of the same lines we saw in the spy pic from Australia a few weeks back.

Eveything we can see in the rendering matches what we can see in the spy pics.

http://forums.autoweek.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/31-32352-747094-48549/a.- - jpg

I should say that aside from the grille, this is a decent looking rig. The profile and rear views are nicely proportioned and have a decent amount of character. But that frontal facade is simply hideous.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Yeeeesssshhh - only a face a mother could love. That underbite of an grille isn't pretty.

I'm taking this with a grain of salt. I realize that Honda stylists are going for more distinctive looks, but I don't think they'd do it on a major model. On new products (Ridgeline), they should take a risk because there's no history to ruin. But on major sellers, distinctive restraint should be the rule.
  • Options
    stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    Looks like another Alabama to Utah trek this year, but solo for me (no kids this time). I was wondering if anyone has camped out with their CR-V on a cross-country trip. Where do you find a campground? Are they KOAs?

Back in my youth, I'd leave work and drive overnight from Cedar City, UT to Tucson, AZ and I'd pull of somewhere on the Navajo Reservation to catch a few hours of shuteye. But there really aren't any places to pull over off the interstate, unless it's an official campground, right? That makes it tough to plan out; I tend to drive until I'm ready for sleep, and I'd love to try using the CR-V as a tent.

BTW: can you sleep comfortably in the CR-V?

Anyone sharing their experience would be most welcome.
  • Options
    Those fenders flare out a bit, I like that. Reminds me of some Mazdas, only more subtle.

These all seem to vary a lot, I like some and hate others. Let's see the real deal, unmasked.

-juice
  • Options
    I forget which model you drive.

I had the first gen and slept in it a few times. No problems except that my sleeping bag would slide forward a bit. The bed kinda sloped toward the dash and I learned to park with the front wheels higher than the rear. I also had leather seats.

The second gen CR-V's bed is no good. It's more like a lounge chair.
  • Options
    Actually, I'm finding all of the various spy pics to be quite consistent. Even that initial rendering from Popular Mech is consistent with much of what we've seen.

The first "photo" from down under (which pictured the CR-V from the rear while it followed an RDX) gave us a look at the tailgate, the fender flares, rear bumper, and the shape of the windows.

The photo I just linked shows the same gate, fenders, bumper, windows, etc.

The TOV rendering also has fender flares, windows, character lines, and door handles in common with the above photos. It takes it a step further and we can see that the front bumper has the same shape. (At least the corner of the bumper is the same.) And the happy whale shark grill is similar enough to what we saw from Pop Mech.
  • Options
    TOV somehow managed to make the D-pillars look a lot better, and that's my beef with the other images I've seen.

Looks like the lower grille will have an underbite after all...that's at least two sources that have that feature.

-juice
  • Options
    stevengordonstevengordon Member Posts: 130
    Thanks, Varmint. Mine is a 2004, the one with the lounge chair. I suppose that at 5'10", I could fit diagonally across the cargo area with the backs seats folded up against the front.

The thing I'm unsure about is how you pull off and just sleep for a few hours. Out west it's easier to pull off a highway at sundown and camp beside or inside the vehicle. But getting off the interstate to find a deserted patch of ground, without much traffic going by seems a challenge. Some rest areas allow vehicles to stay overnight, I think.

BTW: my CR-V is such a perfect vehicle for me. I may be donating mine to my wife and shopping for a new one. The style changes of the next gen. are interesting, but the vehicle design is pretty universal--it looks like how it functions. So I'm probably looking at purchasing this Sept.
  • Options
    In the other images, the D pillar is masked. When you look closely, you can see the real lines of the window and pillar.

At this point, there are so many similarities between the rendering and the photos, I'm pretty much ready to say that rendering is accurate. In fact, I have yet to find anything conclusively different. The only thing that might save it, is if we're seeing a nose meant for the JDM model and Honda has something different in store for us.
  • Options
    I realized they are masked, they make it look like the Odyssey's D-pillar to throw people off.

TOV's image looked more like the Infiniti FX, and less like the Stream minivan. That's what I meant.

Steve: Just carry an inflatable mattress in the car, blow it up, and voila, instant bed.

-juice
  • Options
    The fellah who posted the TOV rendering has posted that the article (when translated) mentions that the grille we see in that rendering is for the JDM market. Which means it is very possible we'll something different here.

A wee little speck of hope.
  • Options
    That's common, I believe, our bumpers are usually bigger to meet the federal standards in the US.

Ironically they're usually uglier.

-juice
  • Options
    quimbytsquimbyts Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 CR-V Special Edition. I have noticed that the plastic wheel cover for the spare tire rotates in a clockwise direction. Despite the fact that the fit is very tight this rotation occurs. Does anybody know the reason for this?
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Probably from vibration.
  • Options
    Politically, it's probably conservative. :P

-juice
  • Options
    saabgirlsaabgirl Member Posts: 184
    In the Southern hemisphere they rotate counter clockwise.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    In the Southern hemisphere they rotate counter clockwise.

What happens at the equator? ;)

tidester, host
  • Options
    jwb18tjwb18t Member Posts: 45
    what the major changes will be? i.e. 3rd row seat? V6 or more powerful 4? More airbags? or other safety equipment? larger tires?

We have a 98 CRV EX that we bought in 97. Keeping it for our daughter to drive but need something a bit bigger to replace the VW Passat Wagon. Considering the Rav4, 2007 CRV, (sp), and Ford Freestyle. Thx very much.
  • Options
    smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    At the equator, the entire vehicle levitates
  • Options
    smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    It will be an all new design. Search this discussion for "2007" to get all the speculation. Nothing much is known for certain yet.
  • Options
    breckcobreckco Member Posts: 62
    Just bought a 06 ex 4wd auto. If I open the drivers door immediately after pressing the unlock on the key I hear a beep noise like I've left the lights on. If I wait a few seconds there is no sound. Is it normal?

I just want to be sure it's normal because I removed the wiring for an alarm system the dealer installed (installed on all vehicles on lot and one component removed if you don't want it). Wiring removal went well (most wires had a crimp connector that pierced wire). I wrapped wires with electrical tape for wires that were pierced but one wire was cut close to a wiring junction box, when I soldered the wires it has tension due to the shortened wire - do you think I should splice a longer wire?
  • Options
    No real news on the 2007 CR-V, but I doubt you'll find it significantly larger than the '97. For that matter, I don't think the new RAV4 is any larger.

The Freestyle is a nice option, as are the Toyota Highlander and Nissan Murano. All three are a bit bigger, but not as big as an Explorer or even the Honda Pilot. Another strong contender would be the Subaru Tribeca if you can get past the odd styling. It has decent interior space and Subaru is offering deals on them.
  • Options
    sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    I don't think the new RAV4 is any larger.
    I actually got to look at one the other day - looked and felt smaller than the CR-V. I don't know what all the hype was all about. :confuse: It was the 4 cyl. version, not sure if the different versions differ in size.
  • Options
    sceglascegla Member Posts: 20
    "...If I open the drivers door immediately after pressing the unlock on the key I hear a beep noise..."

It does the same on mine. Why? No clue but it's normal operation.