Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Diesel?! Very important fact. Where did you hear about it????

It was a rumor when I posted, but it is no more.

Planned Honda turbodiesel for U.S. would likely debut on Civic, Accord or CR-V

By KATHY JACKSON | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 07/09/06, 1:48 pm et

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- When Honda sells its first diesel engine in the United States, it likely will be in the Civic, Accord or CR-V.

John Watts, manager of Honda's U.S. product planning, said Honda plans to introduce a clean-burning, 2.2-liter turbodiesel in the United States within three years.

"That 2.2 could probably crank out about 200 horsepower and about 220 (pounds-feet of) torque at little rpm," he said at a press event here. "Vehicles like the Pilot (SUV) and Odyssey (minivan) are too big for a four-cylinder."

Honda sells a 2.2-liter, four-cylinder turbodiesel engine in Europe, but Watts says it does not meet U.S. emission standards.

Takeo Fukui, Honda Motor Co. CEO, said in late June that the company will unveil a four-cylinder diesel in the United States that will run as clean as a gasoline engine.

Watts thinks diesel will catch on in this country if the engines can go 400 miles on a single tank of fuel.

"I think four cylinders and diesels make a lot of sense with the price of gas," Watts says. "But we're looking at everything -- diesels, compressed natural gas, fuel cells, hybrids and E85. We don't believe there's one solution."

Watts also said the Honda Division may need to add another SUV to its lineup.

"We don't know what it will be yet," he says. "Maybe something between a minivan and a SUV. But we do need something between the CR-V and the Pilot."
  • Options
    kyusskyuss Member Posts: 8
    I am an '06 Ridgeline owner and my wife has an '01 Accord. She is interested in both the CR-Vs and Elements (not for the looks). She basically wants a bike and dog (2 dogs) hauler. The Accord is only a two door. Has anyone bought a CR-V and wished they had gone with the Element or vice versa? If so what's the reason? The wife and I can't really decide especially since the reliability history seems to be about the same. Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Maybe something between a minivan and a SUV. But we do need something between the CR-V and the Pilot.

I wonder if they regret not making the CR-V a little bigger, to compete with the RAV4's available 3rd row?

-juice
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    thanks...will pass along to my buddy...sounds like the issue was not resolved though...at least in that generation.
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    not sure about 07 V size but the 06 feels about the same size as our new RAV.
  • Options
    Some how Toyota squeezed in a 3rd row, though. Perhaps Honda will bring the Stream here instead?

-juice
  • Options
    shantonshanton Member Posts: 5
    My husband backed into a parking-lot post, denting and cracking our rear bumper (2006 CRV). :cry: It looks pretty easy to pull off the bumper and snap in a new one, or am I totally wrong?? Any secret spots to get a new bumper without getting robbed? Thanks!
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    There are pros and cons for both vehicles.

The Element has the wash and wear floor, plus the rear seats can be removed to create an enormous cargo area. Very nice for anyone toting bikes or puppies with dirty feet. The cargo floor is also lower to the ground.

However, the Element has less cargo space when the rear seats are in place. The interior isn't as nice. Fuel economy is a wee bit lower.

The CR-V has a split gate in the back. I frequently used this to give my hounds some air without giving them the opportunity to run amuck at a rest stop. (Greyhounds will get into trouble at 40 mph.) It has a full-size spare, so flats can be dealt with easily. The CR-V also has extra storage under the cargo floor for things puppies should not be getting into.

However, the CR-V is carpeted and won't clean up so easy. It's also a bit more expensive.
  • Options
    Based on the lack of fires since Honda changed the materials used in the gaskets, I'd say the issue was addressed.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The last one I can find at the NHTSA for an '05 CR-V dates back to January, '06. (ODI ID Number : 10148931). Didn't check for other years.
  • Options
    My husband backed into a parking-lot post, denting and cracking our rear bumper (2006 CRV). It looks pretty easy to pull off the bumper and snap in a new one, or am I totally wrong?? Any secret spots to get a new bumper without getting robbed? Thanks!

It is indeed a snap on. Check out the hitch installation instructions from HandA (banner on top of the page)

You can get the parts from a number of online dealerships, pick the closest to you to save on shipping.

San Leandro Honda CA

Majestic Honda, RI

Ray Laks, Buffalo, NY

And my personal favorite Fair Honda, Danbury, CT.

Some of them don't list all the parts online, but if you call the number and tell them that you are calling to get website pricing on the parts, they will connect you to appropriate person.
  • Options
    shantonshanton Member Posts: 5
    Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. That is some quality advice! :blush:
  • Options
    stevelbertstevelbert Member Posts: 6
    My 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT was totalled on July 7th (no one hurt, not my fault!). Today I picked up my 2006 Pewter SE. The only extra's I put on the car was splashguards. I paid as follows:

Car with splashguards: 23409.00
    Doc fee 299.00
    Sales Tax 1422.48
    Registration 165.00

Total out the door 25295.48

I put a good chunk down and got the Honda Financing for 60 months @ 4.9%. I know the documentation prep charge of 299 is sort of bunk, but I think I did ok.... I really like the car. It's good to be higher up off the ground again......
  • Options
    codata99codata99 Member Posts: 123
    Here you go~, ray_h.

"Answer = Hi, At times I am outraged by some dealer practices, but this is not one of those times. The dealer did the right thing by changing the transmission oil at 30K. Honda (the manufacturer, not the dealer) came out with insane maintenance recommendations starting with the 2000 model year. I've overheard new car salesmen saying things like, "You could weld the hood shut until 105,000 miles", which is when the first really big service is scheduled. Honda (the manufacturer) is misrepresenting the amount of maintenance your car really needs. For example, the Honda Civic uses screw and jamb nut style valves, which need adjustment at least every 30,000 miles, yet the first valve adjustment is due at 105K. I've not seen a 2000 & up Civic burn a valve yet, but I have seen two CR-Vs with valve damage at 45,000 & 50,000 miles. Honda (the manufacturer) is putting the responsibility of getting the valves adjusted on the dealer (or independent) techs by including the instruction "adjust valves if needed" in the workshop manual 30K,60K,90K,and 120K lists. Since Honda valves tend to get tight, and tight valves show no signs of being tight until it's too late and damage is being done, and there is no way check valve clearance short of removing the valve cover and checking all the valves, and checking the valves and adjusting the valves takes the same amount of time, "adjust valves if needed" is in essence the same as saying "adjust valves". Your warranty only lasts 36,000 miles, and there will almost certainly be no symptoms from their very light maintenance schedule in that amount of time. However, if you want to keep your car for 100,000 miles and beyond, you would be well advised to beef up the maintenance recommended in your manual. In my opinion Honda has traded the appearance of low total cost of ownership for their future reputation for reliability. It should be good for fleet sales, but bad for total sales in the long run. Here's the good news -- if you want to save some money, check your area for Honda specialty shop that has a good reputation. You will likely end up spending less money for a service that includes everything your car really need than you would at the dealer for just the services the manufacturer recommends. Good luck, Paul"

http://www.artsautomotive.com/ask-the-pros-answers.htm
  • Options
    The Honda in question was a 2002 EX, with a 3/36 powertrain warranty. But the current Honda drivetrain warranty is 5 years / 60,000 miles so that sort of taints his argument, at least for current models. In fact, most major US car powertrain warranties are 5/50 or better (well, most by name anyway - Chevy/Dodge have a heap of sales and they are still are stuck in the 3/36 world). Warranty Week

Extended service intervals may be a selling point for the manufacturers, but too many warranty claims hits the bottom line. I don't think manufacturers are going to stretch intervals out unrealistically since it would come back to bite them, both in warranty claims and damage to their reliability reputations.
  • Options
    georgew1georgew1 Member Posts: 31
    I continue to read about A/C compressor failures on current CR-V's. I had a 2000 LX with no problem and now have a 2004 EX. Are any of you experiencing any A/C issues with your CR-V's and are there any preventive measures to be taken?
    Thanks.
    George in IL
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Take a look at CR-V: AC Compressor Issues.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Or voice your opinion to the media, you might end up being quoted in the press:

chintan32, "Talk to the Press" #1056, 10 Aug 2006 10:23 am

-juice
  • Options
    pupkinpupkin Member Posts: 5
    Is there a way to get body colored bumpers when buying a new CR-V LX or EX without going all the way to SE? (I don't need that leather trim, etc.) If yes, how should I do that and how much would it cost?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Not from the factory. You can have a body shop paint the bumpers on an LX or EX. The correct paint code is on a sticker in the driver's door jamb. Pricing will depend on how you want them to do it, but it isn't going to be cheap.
  • Options
    daedae Member Posts: 143
    Is there a way to get body colored bumpers when buying a new CR-V LX

New unpainted bumpers from SE (different part umber from LX/EX) are about $200 front and $350 rear. They can be painted to match for about $250.
  • Options
    pupkinpupkin Member Posts: 5
    varmint & dae: Thanks for the replies.

dae: Are you saying that one can't simply paint LX/EX bumpers but have to buy unpainted SE bumbers and paint them? Is it because they are from different material, like plastic vs. metal?

Also if I buy LX or EX with standard bumpers, I assume I can still have this painting done later for about the same price as I would get when buying the car. Correct?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    spimbyspimby Member Posts: 14
    I test drove a CR-V EX SE yesterday. It was the first time I've actually been in one for more than just a few seconds. The first thing both I and my girlfriend noticed was that the armrests were uncomfortably high. It seemed that they raised your elbow up and were not in a natural place. The dealer said it might be something related to the leather seats (I wouldn't be getting the SE). Anyone else noticed that the armrests are too high? Anyway to fix this? It's almost like you'd need lower the armrest about 3-4 inches. Thanks.
  • Options
    mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    No issue here on my 06 SE armrest I am 5ft 11 in and like my seat all the way up not sure if that makes a differance. They seem to be just right?..... M
  • Options
    daedae Member Posts: 143
    Are you saying that one can't simply paint LX/EX bumpers but have to buy unpainted SE bumbers and paint them? Is it because they are from different material, like plastic vs. metal?

I think (I am not an expert) that those from SE have a smoother, non-textured surface.

Your local paint shop may tell you if they can prep the surface well enough - I would think it would require a thick base layer, and that may make the paint job less durable.

I painted side moldings on one of my cars once, and they a did an absolutely great job.

Also if I buy LX or EX with standard bumpers, I assume I can still have this painting done later for about the same price as I would get when buying the car. Correct?

I am sure if you wait and shop around you can get always get a better deal.
  • Options
    drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Around here the difference between an LX and EX is about $1100. Wouldn't it make more sense to buy the EX than spend almost the same amount to paint the LX bumpers. Plus you get more goodies as well.
  • Options
    Yes, Dae is correct. Replacement bumpers for the SE models are shipped to the Honda dealers "ready to paint". This may mean that they have a smoother texture, or have a coat of primer already applied. Dunno for sure.

Your best bet is to talk with the people who do this kind of work for a living. Call the body shop. Explain what you want. Show them pictures if that is possible. It's worth noting that the SE bumpers are not covered completely. Then have them draw up an estimate.
  • Options
    In the US, EX CR-Vs don't come with painted bumpers. Only the SE model has 'em.
  • Options
    drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Oops, thanks for the correction. Not sure about the desire for painted bumpers on a CR-V, it is an SUV after all. If I want painted bumpers I'll buy a sedan, but that's me. YMMV.
  • Options
    One of the reasons why I like the SE paint scheme is because they color most of the bumper, but not the very bottom edge. You can still whack that curb stone, or muscle your way over a snowbank without worrying about scratching the paint.
  • Options
    sbnsbn Member Posts: 9
    (Initially posted in the CRV Problems & Sol'ns forum - trying again here since there weren't any responses there)

When the sunvisors in my 2005 CRV LX are down, they won't stay up against the windshield. Instead, they bounce back down partway & block more of the view than I'd like for them to.

When they're folded away, there's no problem in getting them to stay in place next to the roof.

Would it help to tighten - or loosen - something on the visors? Is there a way to make the visors stay put to block the glare without coming down so far over the windshield that they block the view?

Thanks very much,
    -sbn
  • Options
    Can't be sure. With my 1999 CR-V, I found that sometimes the visors would loosen up on the rod which holds them in place. I fixed it simply by pushing the visor closer to the pivot point, which seemed to tighten them up.

Having said all that, my problem was that they hung down when they should have been up. And I'm not sure the 2nd gen uses the same design.
  • Options
    annamalannamal Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if i were to buy a security system online if i could install it on a Canadian model. It seems esay enough, but it is not available in Canada, only through the dealer for $800 installed.
  • Options
    It says on the 06 CRV 15.3 gallons but on a few trips when I have ran it down to the bottom of the red line I have put in over 16 gallons and just today 17.8. I normally fill up at around a quarter tank or just below. Is there that much over the 15.3 in the tank when topping it off ?

Thanks >M
  • Options
    crvexownercrvexowner Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a cr-v ex and installed a thule roof rack. I have 2 kayaks with a combined weight of 100lbs that I want to transport. I know Honda has a limit on their installed rack of 75lbs, but is this capacity on their rack or is that the maximum weight the roof can support without damage?No one at Honda or their website can give me an answer as to whether I can transport the kayaks or what happens with 100lbs on roof.Can anyone help?
  • Options
    Thule says "do not exceed factory rack weight limitations" in some of the fine print on their US web page.

A lot of my boating friends overload their Yakima and Thule racks and they aren't failing. Everyone I paddle with is good about tying down the front and rear of the boats to the bumpers, as well as tying a couple of lines or straps across the boats to the racks. That way, if the rack fails, the boats should stay attached to the car until you can pull over.

I had a cheap rack fail 30 years ago and I had tied the front and rear painters of my canoe to the bumper and all that happened was some scratches on the roof. I have known a whitewater kayaker or two who have had their inadequately secured boats fly off onto the highway (fortunately without injury to anyone following!).

I think Quick 'N Easy are the best racks but few cars have external rain gutters anymore. Here's an example of my tie system:

link.
  • Options
    crvexownercrvexowner Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone gone over the specified 75lb rack capacity with a Thule rack?? I want to haul 2 kayaks weighing combined 100lbs, but I'm afraid I'll damage my roof. Do you think the roof really can handle this minimal weight or is Honda playing it super safe as usual? What about the passenger/cargo weight limit it of 850lbs? Is this for real - 5 men weigh close to 1000lbs; what happens to the CR-V, does it break?? Maybe I should have checked the specs closer and bought something else? Does anyone have any insight or experiences on weight capacities in their CR-V's?
  • Options
    The load capacity of the roof rack probably has little to do with it's structural integrity. You're not going to break the roof loading things onto the rack. (Unless you go way overboard.)

What are going to do is unbalance the vehicle. SUVs are not known for their cornering stability. Although the CR-V is far from the tippiest on the market, it is still a top-heavy vehicle. Adding weight on the roof isn't going to improve that.

Since Honda is not a company which enjoys being sued, we figure they rate the roof rack with an eye on legal defense. Every company does this, but it seems that Honda takes it to an extreme.

Now, you can overload the rack if you want to. I've done it myself. But you do so at your own risk with the understanding that Honda recommends against it.

My recommendation is to look into getting a class I hitch and a trailer. Combined, that'll cost you between $800-1,000. That's a good $300-500 more than a Thule roof-mounted system (depending on model), but the trailer is a whole lot easier for loading and unloading.
  • Options
    Good point about getting top heavy; my boat hauling is usually on a minivan and occasionally I have griped about bottoming out on dirt river access roads because it's a bit too low slung.

I pulled a trailer behind my CJ-5 briefly years ago but it was a bit of a pain (those narrow dirt access roads again). I wound up with a custom rack for the Jeep (and that was a different sort of pain when the welding failed).

Worse comes to worse, you could always buy a couple of inflatable kayaks. :shades:
  • Options
    At 17.8 gallons you must have filled up the fuel filler neck! Wow. Or it was reading incorrectly. I'd buy gas elsewhere.

Don't paint those bumpers, the first parking ding you get you'll wish you hadn't.

-juice
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "It says on the 06 CRV 15.3 gallons but on a few trips when I have ran it down to the bottom of the red line I have put in over 16 gallons and just today 17.8. I normally fill up at around a quarter tank or just below. Is there that much over the 15.3 in the tank when topping it off ?"

Report the gas station to the authorities. The only way you could get that much fuel into a CR-V is if the pump is lying about how much gas you are buying.
  • Options
    "It says on the 06 CRV 15.3 gallons but on a few trips when I have ran it down to the bottom of the red line I have put in over 16 gallons and just today 17.8. I normally fill up at around a quarter tank or just below. Is there that much over the 15.3 in the tank when topping it off ?"

Report the gas station to the authorities. The only way you could get that much fuel into a CR-V is if the pump is lying about how much gas you are buying.

Either the station is not calibrated or OP is filling his evaporative canister which will fail soon throwing a check engine light.

Manual specifically states: "Do not top off" Is it so important to squeeze few extra gallons after the automatic shut off?

I regularly get 300 city miles on a fill up until the light comes on. How many more miles does OP get when filling to the brim and possibly damaging evaporative canister?

I have a 2005 EX 5MAN.
  • Options
    I was never able to "top off". Mine went to the click of the pump, and I could not add more gas - it clicked off immediately. So I don't think the CR-V will add "gallons" on a top-off...
  • Options
    Unless something in the evap system is broken, maybe? :confuse:

-juice
  • Options
    The weird thing was two times before i put in 16.5 and 16.8 at a different stations. They all cant be running bad pumps... I will be filling up in a few days and will check it out again.. Thanks for all the feed back.....M
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    I don't think I've ever been able to put more than 13.5 in mine... that was after riding for 30 miles on dead empty..

I'd look for leaks.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Maximum on mine was 15 gallons. I never went that close to maximum again. In the desert, no less. Stupid.

Something is wrong with that CR-V. 16 gallons???
  • Options
    ananch4003ananch4003 Member Posts: 4
    We are making a decision whether to buy a CRV or not. We test-drove it over the weekend and felt that the seats were not as comfy as that in a RAV-4 or a Highlander. However, we still are not sure if that is the only drawback. Any comments on CRV's disadvantages, recalls, bad experience?
  • Options
    Not sure if there is a differance from leather and cloth in firmness but but on my 06SE the leather seats are very comfortable... M
  • Options
    Yeah, try leather, because I did not like the cloth seats on a Sedona I drove but I did like the leather ones. You never know.

Also, the 07 models are about to come out, check out that thread for pics of the new interior, which is a bit nicer IMO.

-juice