Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Check Engine Light - Catalytic Converter

Comments

• kaywpkaywp Member Posts: 1
    Can you email me the service bulletin info or post the info? Does it have a number to reference? My dealer claims they haven't hear about it.
  • tjmullintjmullin Member Posts: 1
    Dear Middleroad,

I would greatly appreciate if you send me a copy of the service bulletin on the catalytic converter. Thank you kindly in advance...Tom
  • toptechtoptech Member Posts: 11
    The cats are covered 8years 80k miles I dont know of any bulletin for a pcm update but I will ck the next time I think about it at work. I dont ck this site to often because of the people that dont have a clue how to fix these cars. If i forget to post a responce of the bulletin e mail me and I will ck into it [email protected] Or if u have a question e mail me direct
  • mariab3mariab3 Member Posts: 1
    I am very interested in finding out more details about the catalytic converter replacement/service bulletin. My check engine light came on for my 2003 Camry and took the car to advance auto and the diagnostic came back as catalytic converter, will take car to the dealer on Tuesday.
  • jessneljessnel Member Posts: 1
    I would definitely be interested in receiving info about the Catalytic converter replacement bulletin. I have already replaced the oxygen sensor recently in my 02 Camry and would love to avoid an expensive replacement.
  • eventdivaeventdiva Member Posts: 1
    I would also like to get a copy of the service bulletin about replacing the catalytic converter. I have been told by the dealer that it needs to be replaced and it will cost over $700 bucks!!

Thanks!
  • carwebcarweb Member Posts: 1
    Middleroad,

Were you able to get a copy of the service bulletin? Can you post it?

Thank you
    carweb
  • shaojiadushaojiadu Member Posts: 13
    Hi,
    My 2002 camry had the same problem and the error code is p0420. Can you take a look at the service bulletin see if it is under warranty? My email is [email protected]
    Thanks!
    Du
  • bberbber Member Posts: 1
    Hi- I would love to see the bulletin also. Can you post it please? have an '01 that needs replacing- not sure if it would be covered though.
    thanks
  • mmoenmmoen Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem, check engine light on, dealer says it is the catalytic converter and wants $986.17 to fix. Were can I find the service bulletin?
    Thank you.
  • sweeethmbamasweeethmbama Member Posts: 1
    Can you send it to me as well.. [email protected] you so much.. mine is in the shop now!!
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    He (or she) made only one post on the entire Edmunds forums! I doubt he replies to any of your requests, and it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't a TSB for the catalytic converter. :)
  • palokpalok Member Posts: 14
    At all speeds the engine vibates and produces a constant rattle. You can't hear it at highway speeds, but when you turn it on and when you are low speeds or a light it is noticeable. The engine is constantly shaking. Any idea what might be causing this? Any TSB?
    Hard to diagnose over the internet. I'd take it to a reputable mechanic.
  • noysecretnoysecret Member Posts: 3
    Were is the rattle coming from ? Could be a missfire or motor mount worn or broke. Any check engine lights on ?
    Thanks for responding. It seems to be coming from the engine The engine shakes and there is a distinct tinny rattle. I think the vibration is the issue, the rattle a result. May be a belt?
    Thanks! I can't see what the issue is. Whatever is causing the engine to vibrate is producing the rattle.
  • noysecretnoysecret Member Posts: 3
    It may be some kind of heat shield or maybe a pulley. It's kinda hard to say when we can't hear it. Sorry!!!! I'm just giving you an idea of what i think it is from the way your explaining it. Good Luck!! Hope it's not anything major
  • cmackicmacki Member Posts: 3
    I had my car tested for the check engine light and came up catalytic converter. Can someone give me direction.
  • cmackicmacki Member Posts: 3
    I read your message and would like to know where can get a copy of the bulliten and I also have a 2003 Toyota Camry with 105000 miles
  • middleroadmiddleroad Member Posts: 3
    The same thing happened to me. One dealer charged me to change an oxygen detector ( I was 800 miles from home) but the problem came back (my money did not). When I then took it to my home dealer he said that a service bulletin exits on my 2003 Camry, and it directed them to change the catalytic converter for free. Problem solved.

I keep saying I will find the service bulletin (dealer gave me a copy) and quote its number/name, but I have yet to do that.
  • squeebsqueeb Member Posts: 2
    If this document happens to exist, could you please post it to the Edmonds site here... and E-mail it to me at: [email protected]? Thanx!
  • squeebsqueeb Member Posts: 2
    Oops, I meant Edmunds site here! Thanks again!
  • beachgal47beachgal47 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same occurrence on my '96 Camry - the service rep at the DEALER asked how many miles I had - prob. at that time 160K. He said a new c.conv. would be $800 but w/that mileage to just go to "any muffler place" and get it much cheaper - I think I paid like $90.
    As I saw in an earlier blog, mine too, was fine for just about 650 miles before the ck. engine light came on; muffler guy replaced it under warranty as I was moving out of state but the same thing happened. My c.eng. light has been on ever since...fortunately for my pocket I was moving to S.C. - no emissions testing! I do, however, feel a little guilty about polluting the air.
    I now have about 172K on the car... I was also told a sensor could be turned off by a dealer...
  • toptechtoptech Member Posts: 11
    Shows how smart ur dealer was. As I have said maybe 5 times in here now aftermarket converters will NOT work on these cars. Amazing the amount of mechanics out there and even dealers that dont have a clue! What do u mean a sensor could be tunred off by a dealer? U cant turn off sensors unless u unplug one wich will put on ur ck engine light .That does not make any sense at all.
  • doobay1doobay1 Member Posts: 1
    The dealer just charged me $110 for Diagnostic and said that I had a P0420 code Ihave just allowed the dealer to replace a Gas line in the car or something with the check engine light on for$400.00 now the car cuts off and will not start and he is now saying it is the Catalytic Converter and want to charge $1800.00 is he crazy. I am for sure not paying that but Ihave to get my car repaired it does have a 138374 miles on it. Any sugguestion
  • ugajustinugajustin Member Posts: 3
    An answer:

Looking online I found the following:

I think this is the TSB: EG024-04
    (google "filetype:pdf EG024-04" the first link brought up the document for me)

The TSB mentions warranty coverage for 8 years or 80,000 miles; confirmed in my owner's manual for a 2003 Camry bought in Georgia.

And a question:

My wife's '03 check engine light came on 200 or so miles into a road trip immediatly following a fill-up at an unfamiliar gas station. Is it possible that bad gas is the culprit? We are 20,000+ miles past the covered warranty period of the emmissions system. I reset the computer to see if the reading was a fluke- doubtful but worth a shot.

Justin
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    Do any of the 2007 to 2010 Camry 4 cylinder models have the catalytic converter problem? ALSO, up to how many miles and up to how many years is the catalytic converter covered under the warranty for the 2010 Camry LE 4 cylinder? I would like to know because I just leased a brand new 2010 Camry LE 4 cylinder and I will be driving it around 18,000 miles each year for the next 3 years for a total of 54,000 miles. By the time that I give the car back when the lease expires on it the car will have between 50,000 and 54,000+ miles on it.

I would like to know whether or not I will be covered under the warranty if my Camry starts having any problems with its catalytic converter once it gets past 3 yrs./36,000 miles?
    Does anybody know anything about this? I would like to know.

THANK YOU
    It's warranted longer than 3 years/54K+ miles. Check your warranty booklet that came with the car.
  • pininapinina Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Camry approx 124K mi. (4 cyl LE) When I start it up blows blue smoke but it goes away as soon as driving car as usual. Small leak/stain for long time in driveway under car and where I park it at a job I go to. 1 yr ago had Ck Engine Lite, guy said was catalytic converter don't worrry till I have to go for emissions test & turned it off. It's back on and I am worried can I be doing damage to car by ignoring it? Drives fine but for the blue smoke thing on startup. Everyplace wants $99 or so for test where they go deeper into it. I've lost main job for 1 yr now, working part time jobs & debts high. What is best order to tackle things? Any intelligent feedback appreciated. Pinina in Phoenix Az
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Blue smoke on startup, is usually a result of worn valve seals. When the engine is off and sits, oil from up on top of the valves can leak past a worn seal, and collect in the cylinder. When you start the engine, if fills the cylinder w/gas-air mixture and starts to run, burning off the leaked oil.

You can do a google search on worn valve seals, as well as get some estimates from folks over the phone what they'd charge to fix it.

Just saved you $99, which you can put forward to getting the job done. Good luck.
  • raj0327raj0327 Member Posts: 1
    I got the check engine light on my 2003 camry last night. Took it to the local repair shop and was told that my manifold cataytic converter is not functioning properly. The mechanic has informed me that I should change the convereter & the air fuel ratio sensor. The cost to replace it is $1014.00 & the cost to replace the air fuel sensor is $212.00. Do these prices make sense or should I be getting another quote?
  • rearwheeldriverearwheeldrive Member Posts: 140
    edited February 2010
    The catalaytic converter is welded to the exhaust pipe and then bolts to the engine. Removal involves removing the bolts at the engine, then cutting the pipe off at the exhaust. This bolted part of the convertor is placed on a bench, and cut again. This cut is made right at the front of the convertor. Now you get a new converter and weld it back on in the same exact way it was cut so the bolts will align back up. Place it on the car and weld it to the exhaust pipe.

Converters differ in price from cheap aftermarket to dealer priced parts.
    I would search the many discussion on this part in this forum to make a decision on the price.. The Air Fuel Sensor labor should be included with the converter replace. It is bolted to the converter inlet and takes a whole two minutes to replace..About a $100.00 item at your local auto parts store.
  • tmoney4tmoney4 Member Posts: 8
    I replaced the rear cat w an aftermarket and a few thousand miles later the ck eng lite came on. I was told by sum1 from toyota dealership that the aftermarket cat is less restrictive or the honeycomb has a different design causing the ck engine lite. I just noticed 2day an oil burning smell and i was approx 1 qt low in oil. I ck the level a few times to confirm. Any recommendations on the problem...I know of a sludge problem on these camry engines and recieved a letter from them. I'm jus trying 2 maintain this car as best as possible having 140k+.
  • frenchhoffmanfrenchhoffman Member Posts: 2
    My Camry's engine-check light was lit while I was driving to work today, and shortly after that, heat wave came out of the air conditioning chamber while the AC is turned off:

What does this mean?

It is a 2004 made Toyota Camry LE with 86k miles on it.

Thanks in advance.
    :confuse:
    What did your temperature gauge read? Did you check under the hood afterward to see how much coolant you have in the see-through reserve tank?

Caution: Do not remove the radiator cap (on the radiator itself, not the reserve tank) until the engine is cold.
  • frenchhoffmanfrenchhoffman Member Posts: 2
    The temperature gauge stayed in the middle. No sign of overheating on the panel... The coolant level is between MAX and MIN...

Having reviewed the Toyota Camry owner's manual, I realized that a loose fuel tank cap could also cause the light to go up (but it should go off after a few trips if there is nothing else going on).

So I checked my car's fuel tank cap and found that it couldn't be securely tightened! That is, after I turned it clockwise and heard a click--supposedly the cap should have been tightened--the cap was still loose (i.e., it can be easily pulled off the nozzle, without turning it counterclockwise)... I guess this fuel tank cap is no longer usable and needs to be replaced...

But... Why is heat coming out of the air conditioner chamber? Where does it come from? Is there a connection between the heat and the loose fuel tank cap? Is the heat or the loose fuel tank cap keeping the engine check light on? Or both?

I guess I should stop guessing and get some help...
    :(
  • middleroadmiddleroad Member Posts: 3
    I found the Technical Service Bulletin It is EG024-04.

Title:
    M.I. L. "ON DTC P0420

Models:
    '02 - '04 Camry (2AZ-FE) (Non PZEV)

Technical Service Bulletin July 1, 2004
    edited March 2010
    Thanks, with your information, I found I have the TSB itself, which I originally obtained from the Bedford County Library (Indiana) online. (They have since removed these TSBs from public access.)

TSB EG024-04, July 1, 2004

Title:
    M.I.L. “ON” DTC P0420 [Note: M.I.L. = Malfunction Indicator Lamp = Check engne light]
    Models:
    ‘02 – ‘04 Camry (2AZ-FE) (Non PZEV)

Some 2002 - 2004 model year Camry vehicles equipped with the 4 cylinder (2AZ--FE) engine may exhibit a M.I.L. “ON” condition with Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold, Bank 1) in the Engine Control Module (ECM) (SAE term: Powertrain Control Module/PCM). The ECM (PCM) logic has been modified and a redesigned catalyst has been provided.

MODEL Camry (2AZ-FE)
    PLANT / PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
    TMM Kentucky Line 1: 4T1BE3#K#4U323000
    TMM Kentucky Line 2: 4T1BE3#K#4U869000
    Tsutsumi Japan: JTDBE3#K#40283686

The repair procedure in this TSB is similar to TSB No. EG013-04 “Excessive Sulfur Dioxide Odor.” The recalibration of the ECM (PCM) should only be performed ONCE.

Procedures:
    Recalibrate Engine ECM (PCM)
    R & R Catalytic Converter Assembly

All 2002 - 2004 model year vehicles equipped with manual transmissions require replacement of the catalytic converter assembly only.

Applicable Warranty*:
    This repair is covered under the Toyota Specified Major Emission Control Component Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.

This isn't the complete TSB, but being in pdf form, I copied the most important portions for people to move forward with any complaints.

Hope this helps!
  • vs2vs2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Camry with 135,000 miles and I just had the catalytic converter placed by the Toyota dealership - not aftermarket. My car seems really sluggish now -- not much power at all. I turned on the a/c (1,500miles after the replacement of the cc) and I felt like I was driving a dump truck. Is this typical? Are there any symptoms I should look for? The rpms are normal -- just no power.. Any ideas???
  • mmoenmmoen Member Posts: 5
    I just had it done on a 2002 Camry 4 cyl over 150,000 miles and it is still as snappy as ever. Did they reprogram the ECM after the replacement? It must be done and then you have to retrain the computer to how you drive. It's a bummer my 2002 Camry has more power and speed than my 2008 Tacoma and better gas mileage, 30mpg. I wish they would have used the same engine in my 2008.
  • cogi320cogi320 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Toyota Camry (original owner) 116K miles. The engine light came on and stays on No mechanical problems. Took it to dealer, they say i need to have engine control module replaced; code P0607. Cost would be over $1,000. Does this really need to be replaced? Could I have it done cheaper somewhere else? I need my car for work, and certainly don't want to buy a new car at this time.
    Thank You.
    By all means, get a second opinion from an independent reputable shop. Ask for recommendations from friends, relatives, or co-workers.
  • scatheyscathey Member Posts: 1
    In the past 4 months, I had to have a rebuilt transmission. Then my check engine light came on shortly thereafter and I was told that the catalytic converter needs to be replaced of which I have not yet replaced. Yesterday, my car began to overheat around noon, replaced the coolant with water and the temperature gauge went back to normal for the rest of the day. However on my way home, my car abrubtly stopped and steam started pouring from my engine and I had to be towed to the auto mechanic. Again, I am being told the unimaginable...that I need to replace the engine now. I have taken pretty good care of my car and while it does have 140,000 miles I NEVER thought all this would occur in a matter of months. Any suggestions would be so appreciated! Thank you so much!!!
  • bg8bg8 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Middleroad

I have a 2002 Toyota Camry and my check engine light came on , i then took it to a toyota dealer and they told me that the Catalytic Converter needed to be replaced . Can you please email me a copy of the Sercvice Bulletin for the catalytic coverter. Thanks Alot!!
  • ab4dab4d Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2010
    I was just checking back on this thread, after posting last year about my 04 Camry and the dreaded P0420 code, I am surprised to see the thread still active.

Nevertheless, I finally got around this spring to getting new converter installed at about 185K. I am happy to say that I just turned 205K and the check engine light has not reappeared. So it appears, in my case a new converter was needed.
    See my summary of the TSB in post #91.
  • loridburnsloridburns Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 check engine light is on.
    Dealer said it needs cat. conv. and reflash before it can pass e-check inspection that I need before next month. Car only has 77,000 miles on it. Is the dealer the only one who can fix it?
  • cthelitecthelite Member Posts: 4
    My car is a 2002 Toyota Camry XLE six cylinder and my problem is the dreaded, check engine light. I have been reading the postings and I have a couple of questions. Does the check engine light monitor any other components than the Catalytic Converter? What if anything does Toyota say about this seemingly on going problem, year after year and model after model? I have been quoted $750 for the Converter and $200 for installation and $575 for the O2 sensor. The mechanic suggests from reading the fault codes that the back sensor (after the converter) is probably defective. I am assuming that neither of these components have any moving parts so what causes them to fail?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Yes,

The computer, actually, is what is monitoring many components, and using all of those inputs typically to adjust many things like fuel mixture, spark timing, transmission shift points, turning cooling fans on and off, etc, etc, etc. It is looking at all of the sensors, and expecting input values in a certain tolerance range. When it detects something wrong, it usually watches it for a number of cycles, and then turn on the check engine light to warn you something is wrong.

You take it somewhere to read the computer codes, or buy an inexpensive reader yourself. Your read the error codes from the computer, which will generally tell you the system or area of the vehicle that is having the problem. Sometimes the error codes will point to a specific part, but sometimes to a number of parts any which of could be the problem.

Read up on the Oxygen sensor if you want. It is sticking in the exhaust pipe subject to extremely hot temperatures and variations. Your hand would burn up if touching it, so yes, they do go bad.