Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• Options
    zmarie08zmarie08 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Limited with about the same mileage that I bought in June. I just heard on the news today that we've had 89 days above 90 degrees this year here in St. Louis and I have not had any issue with the display except that it confirmed how hot it was! I can only say that I haven't had this problem but it doesn't mean you don't. Good luck!
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I have a Limited with Nav and don't have any problems with fading either after 10K miles. However, the sun coming in does cause a glare that makes it hard to read sometimes. Also, when I have polarized sunglasses some of the smaller numbers are hard to read from the driver's side because the whole screen looks darker. We also have a Ford Fusion with Nav and that screen is much easier to read in the sunlight.
  • Options
    sonatascottsonatascott Member Posts: 16
    This problem is known to be with the standard GLS radio... not with the Limited or SE radios. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong. I'm one of the GLS bad radio owners. I've commented on it a couple times before. My second radio is a little better than the first, but it is still faded. I notice that it is much dimmer when the outside temp is 105ish versus 100 or so.
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    When the sun shines on the radio in a certain way it is hard to see what is on-otherwise it is ok. We have a GLS 6MT sonata.
  • Options
    pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    REF: 4353
    I have a GLS made in March 2010 and I too have this problem. It is not unreadable, just annoying. Some have had their radio replaced with occasional success. There is a separate thread about this on the other hyundai forum: hyundai dash forums dot com

FWIW, my other main gripe is road noise (GLS) but most people blame that on crappy OEM tires and limited undercoating in the wheel wells (to save weight for better fuel economy)...
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    edited September 2010
    It isn't the radio, it is the technology of the display itself. You can get the same thing from watches left in the sun, and anything else using liquid crystal display technology. This is nothing new, the first wrist watches were so sensitive to heat that you could leave one by the pool while swimming and come back to a blank watch face. Until it cooled down, then all is good.

Sorry, but a new radio won't change this.

Edit: The reason some may see this more than others is that the issue will not appear linearly, ie slowly get worse with temp rise. Up to a point, there will be no effect, then it will degrade rapidly over just a few additional degrees temp change. Great technology for low power consumption, but does have it's limitations in an automotive application. One thing that will aggrevate the issue is whether or not the sun is shining directly on the radio. You can get even higher temps in the display in that scenario.
  • Options
    I agree with your overview of LCD technology. One other variable is design and component quality. I'm thinking that fifty cents was saved on each display by cutting a corner or two. I back this up by pointing out that six inches away from my dim LCD radio display is a bright LCD clock. Heat, thus far, seems to have no effect on it.
  • Options
    my2kidsmy2kids Member Posts: 4
    Just returned from picking my car up from service. I took it in because the car had been having difficulty starting. I would depress the brake and push the button but nothing. It started having this issue intermittently and then in the last two days it was each time I went to start it. I would depress the brake over and over until eventually it would start. Problem fixed.... brake sensor switch. While I was there I was told there was a current recall for the steering column. More specifically Recall No. 10-01-032 Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Connections Inspection (Campaign 97) is the subject of said recall. This is the description for those that are interested: This bulletin provides the recall Campaign 097 procedure for inspecting to ensure that the steering column and the upper intermediate shaft universal joint (U joint), and the steering pinion splined shaft and the lower intermediate shaft U joint are properly connected and that both attaching bolts are tightened to the specified torque. Additionally, a procedure is provided to update the MDPS software.
    Vehicles affected Production date 12/11/09 - 09/10/10 VIN Range 5NPEC4AC6BH000216 - 5NPEB4AC8BH151446
    Best of luck to all. I still like my car even with the minor headaches. I have only had it for 3 months too. Karen
  • Options
    denp3denp3 Member Posts: 99
    What model do you have? My Limited was built in March, but does not fall within that Vin # Range.
  • Options
    2011 and I purchased it in June. If you call the service department they should be able to tell you by way of your vin if your car is included in the recall. I don't know anything about assembly lines or production plants. Maybe your vehicle was made on a line that was "okay".
  • Options
    Was it a GLS, SE or Limited?
  • Options
    Oh I am sorry. You asked that didn't you? It was a 2011 Limited.
  • Options
    REF: 4367
    The official NHTSA page and release:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=10V426000&searchtype=qui- cksearch&summary=true&refurl=rss

I find it curious that they say it happened on the assembly line during a particular month, yet they are recalling all US-made Sonata made from Dec 2009 to Sept 2010. Isn't that all of them?
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Good marketing on their minds...why not recall them all & be done with it. This way it's a more proactive move on their part while showing Hyundai does care about it's customers. Brilliant move on their part...creates tons of goodwill as being a company that cares!!!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Did you notice there is a software update mentioned also? I'll bet that is the reason all cars are being recalled. Brilliant? Probably more necessary than brilliant, in this time of owner confidence shaken by large recalls.
  • Options
    schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    My SE was built in Feb and I took posession in March, however it is not on the recall list according to my VIN#.
  • Options
    shabadoo25shabadoo25 Member Posts: 232
    A few too many scary stories out there on the new Sonata. Probably not a big deal statistically, but still.

Sad to say, I dumped the Sonata for a variety of reasons the other day and went with a TSX instead.
  • Options
    I'm interested in what the steering software upgrade has to offer. There has been much said about the Sonata's steering. Maybe too much in my opinion, as I really do enjoy my cars handling. I have just over 8k on it, and have driven it hard in the twisties a handful of times now. It does better than I thought it would. Anyway, as people begin to get their recall procedures done lets be sure to share opinions of the changes noticed in the steering. Maybe it will make the car even better.
  • Options
    jkenn49jkenn49 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone know how this might affect us picking up a Sonata Monday after work. We decided to lease one, but the financing deal ends 9/30, and it is unlikely that the dealer would have the recall taken care of, and I don't think it makes any sense for us to take delivery without the fix being done. My brother told me that Honda issues a stop sale order, but I couldn't find anything on Hyundai's website that addresses that for the Sonata. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    jsmit86jsmit86 Member Posts: 116
    Actually, your dealer cannot deliver your new car UNTIL the fix is done. Chances are they have already done it.

There is a posting on another forum from a Hyundai dealer service tech. He said that fixing the dealer inventory was top priority, and that no cars could be sold until it is done. If in doubt, ask your dealer to show you the service order for the fix.
  • Options
    jkenn49jkenn49 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2010
    Could be, I'm not sure why they wouldn't have mentioned it to me, but then these guys are the typical dealers who managed to forget to mention the $400 disposition fee until I asked about it, didn't mention anything about gap insurance and then found out there is a waiver that must be signed, and were unaware that the insurance requirements had changed from the current contract.
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    We own a 06 tsx, bought new 11/17/06 and a 11 sonata, bought new 7/27/10. There was a power steering recall on the tsx which I had fixed last week. I am sure if you researched you will find scary stories with all makes of cars. We have owned numerous hyundais over the years and have been very pleased with them. Very pleased with the tsx-it has 113,000+problem free miles.
  • Options
    cincyhoyacincyhoya Member Posts: 10
    Just out of curiosity, how did you get your dealer to fix this? I'm having the same problem, brought the car in on Friday but was told because they couldn't replicate the problem, they couldn't do anything. I explained I have read other complaints and mentioned it possibly being a brake sensor, but got the "you're an idiot" look and the question "are you sure you're pressing the pedal?" (yes, 6 months and 10,000 miles later, I know how to operate my vehicle).

I'm bringing it back in on Thursday (assuming I can make it until then without needing a tow) and any thoughts on how to get them to identify the problem would be VERY welcome.
  • Options
    I was so worried I would get that look too. I had read somewhere about someone having a similar problem so I mentioned the brake switch to them too. The manager of service told me that they would hook the computer up and look for an error. There was an error which called for the brake switch to be replaced. I know how you feel about the pressing the pedal comment. I got it when I first called in the problem. Just stand your ground. My car didn't have a start up issue when I took in at that morning but I was stranded for 20 minutes the night before sitting in a parking lot. When I was asked about pressing on the brake I told them if I pressed any harder I would reach the core of the earth. Humor got me through this situation. I got stuck at the gas station and had choice words thrown my way (with the kids with me) when I didn't move my car after 15 minutes. People just are not nice anymore. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A journalist would like to speak with a consumer who has recently installed an aftermarket GPS unit, rear entertainment unit, remote key entry, or back up camera. If interested, please send an email by Thursday, Sept 30, including the item you purchased/installed, your name, and phone number to pr@edmunds.com.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    rich27514rich27514 Member Posts: 41
    My Sonata was towed to the dealer. The dealer immediately knew the problem and the error code showed up. The service consultant told me they had actually recalled a different year Sonata for this problem. I must admit that annoyed me. He told me they never had a problem again with any cars that had received a replacement part, fwiw.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm bringing mine in for the recall on Monday, October 4th.
    I will question them on the software upgrade.
  • Options
    trina67trina67 Member Posts: 1
    Good Afternoon,
    My Sonata from about 2007 or later has for the first time this year been leaking water into the backseat and not in the middle seat. Has anyone had this problem and how did you fix it?
  • Options
    ergsumergsum Member Posts: 146
    It appears that the Sonata (20,639) is the 4th highest selling non-truck vehicle in the US for the month of September after Camry (30,769), Accord (24,127) and Corolla (21,060). 6th overall for all vehicles.
  • Options
    kaurikauri Member Posts: 11
    Sonata is being renamed i45. Some parts of the world now have only i45. The Sonata name is gone. Is the new name i45 coming to US soon? Would the new name reduce the resale value of the current Sonata model? Thinking of getting a Sonata. Recently being some other countries. The Sonata name is gone, replaced by i45.
  • Options
    greatlakesjrgreatlakesjr Member Posts: 109
    If I get an oil change from other than the dealer, what do I need to be sure of to align with the warranty? Thank you.
  • Options
    Use a Hyundai oil filter. Costs a little more, but a much, much better filter than the aftermarket stuff. Follow this link to "Bob the Oil Guy" website and read what they have to say about the Hyundai brand filter. These guys are very interesting, and will call junk when found, and praise good stuff, too. And show the data to back up their claims.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/
  • Options
    If I go to any oil change shop, will they usually have a Hyundai brand filter?
  • Options
    REF: 4389
    Doubtful you can find the hyundai filter at any place but the dealership. FWIW, I keep a spare filter (Supertech ST3593A, walmart $3) in my trunk just in case the oil change place doesn't have our compatible filter in stock. There's plenty of opinions about the quality of oil filters (and oil) but it is safe to say that you cannot go wrong sticking with the OEM brand. Costs a bit more but that is life...
  • Options
    REF: 4383
    Chomping at the bit to see if you can get any detail on the software upgrade. I called my 3 local dealers and they were clueless about the contents. In total, they have done over 100 inspections and only found a couple slightly loose bolts (none mis-instalIed). i then called the Midwest Customer Service office and that guy didn't know much more. He did say he thought it would stop the wheel oscillation in the unlikely event of a "mommyt" incident. He also denied knowing about that incident. I checked my installation and it was properly done. Not sure if i want the software upgrade if they can't tell me what it does!
  • Options
    shot_mosshot_mos Member Posts: 24
  • Options
    shot_mosshot_mos Member Posts: 24
    My SE was built in Feb and I took possession in March, however it is not on the recall list according to my VIN#.

Yeah I'm trying to verify that information as well. According to "the news", the recall affects all Sonatas manufactured from Dec. 11, 2009, to Sept. 10, 2010, but then the number and info fluctuates all over the place.

where did you go to verify ? Directly to the dealer or online?

I guess the dealer would probably the best way to figure out.
    Online:
    CarFax recall Database
  • Options
    avid2000avid2000 Member Posts: 6
    I am having this exact problem. It started yesterday and it seems to be getting worse (harder to start, but eventually does).

I will stop by the dealer on Monday morning and hopefully they've seen this before and have a quick fix. I'll update afterwards.
  • Options
    schdyschdy Member Posts: 233
    I did both. However the Dealer did say wait another 2 weeks and give him another call. I'm due for an oil change in Nov so I'll follow up then unless I receive a notice from Hyundai.
  • Options
    rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Automakers frequently give their vehicles different names in different markets. Sonata is the name used by Hyundai for this car in North America. "i45" is used in Australia.

With the Sonata being one of Hyundai's most popular cars in the USA, it would be very surprising (and a marketing mistake) for them to rename it as an i45 here.

Incidentally, on Hyundai's "worldwide" site it is still listed as the Sonata.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mine was built in March and it is scheduled with the dealer tomorrow for the recall, Monday, October 4th.
    I did run it on your the CarFax link and came up as one in the recall.
    Maybe the SE is not one in the recall. I have a Limited.
  • Options
    Very unlikely a chain oil change outfit would have the Hyundai brand.

Have you checked to see if your dealer offers discount oil changes for customers? Mine does, and it is less than the franchise shops around town.
  • Options
    ttbttb Member Posts: 40
    Are the new Buick Regal and the new Sonata comparable?
    They both have a base 4 and a turbo 4.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You can compare just about anything. ;-) Sonata has more power in both types of engines. I think it's bigger inside also. And it will offer a hybrid soon. Another big difference is, for now at least, the Regal comes only in premium trim, which means its starting price is a lot more than the Sonata's. Also the Regal CXL with a moonroof is $28k, and $30.5k with the turbo and moonroof--about $2000 more than the Sonata Limited. Note that for that kind of money, you could get a Genesis 3.8 after available discounts.
  • Options
    Very unlikely a chain oil change outfit would have the Hyundai brand.

Have you checked to see if your dealer offers discount oil changes for customers? Mine does, and it is less than the franchise shops around town.

Okay, thanks for that info. I purchased my Sonata from an out-of-state dealer and the closest one to me is still quite a ways out. Perhaps I should just buy a filter and keep it handy....
  • Options
    rexgrexg Member Posts: 27
    edited October 2010
    I too was interested in the Regal, but I chose a Sonata SE for the following reasons:

1. The Sonata is much cheaper.
    2. The Sonata gets significantly better gas mileage.
    3. The Sonats has more power. (The non-turbo Regal reportedly lacks sufficient power.)
    4. The Sonata weighs much less. The Regal is designed to accommodate a V6 and it is, in my opinion, overweight at 3600+ lbs.
    5. One thing I dislike about FWD cars is excessive font-end overhang. To my eye, the Sonata has less overhang than cars designed to accommodate a V6 (including the Regal).
    5. I love the [somewhat overdone] chrome exhaust tips on my SE. The non-turbo Regal has frumpy hidden exhaust tips.

Don't get me wrong. I think that GM is producing some nice cars these days and I hope they survive and prosper. But the Sonata just made more sense to me.
  • Options
    Hopefully you can get this fixed. Prior to my second trip to the dealership, I had posted a message on the Hyundai ThinkTank board (an owners board you can get to with your VIN). It was a bit harsh, but nevertheless, I received a phone call from Hyundai Motors America within 24 hours apologizing, asking me to go to the dealership and promising a loaner. Interesting, my stability control light had come on once over the weekend (between trips to the dealer). That provided the easy error code to replace the brake lamp switch (essentially the switch that tells the car's computer when your foot is on the brake). Absent that coming on, they may have had to hold it a couple days to duplicate the non-starting problem. The dealer held it for another day just to check on it and, almost a week later now, no problems.

Long story short, sounds like a simple glitch, though it was a nerve-wracking couple weeks before this was fixed. While it could have been handled a little better the first time in, HMA and the dealer did what they could to remedy the issue. This is the fourth Hyundai in our family and the first problem we've had, so I'm willing to roll with it as part of buying a very early version of a completely new model.
  • Options
    While posting the message above, I had to add this in: if you are debating if you need the i-Pod cable or haven't bought it yet and were trying your own, spend the $35 and buy the Hyundai one. I thought the price was high and was making do for the last 6 months with an old radio transmitter thing and frankly, was concerned my 2006 i-Pod wouldn't be compatible. It is. And the cable is worth it. I don't know how in the world a cable can be that specific to functionality, but it is.