Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    aaaedgarpoeaaaedgarpoe Member Posts: 107
    My other option is the Volvo S-80; a very safe car but the dealer is 18 miles way as opposed to 5 miles for the Toyota dealer. Also, 4Runner is probably much more reliably than Volvo S-80 (at least Consumer reports says so).

It just that roll-over thing with the 4Runner thats got me worried.
  • Options
    alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    Why not purchase a Highlander instead? The whole point of a sport utility that is truck based is to have the ability to go off-roading.

The 4Runner is DEFINITELY more reliable than any Volvo/FORD product.
  • Options
    yabedudeyabedude Member Posts: 26
    A 4Runner lowrider. Interesting thought and that might be cool.

However, I think you're in for a rough time in this group if you're trying to suggest that Ford is better than a Toyota!

I just got out of a Ford Escape piece of crap rental. 34 days in the god forsaken thing. At 90km on a hwy in a slight turn, it wanted to lean. It scared me, Man, and I don't get scared at 90KM. 2 days ago on the I5 in a Chrysler 300 I was hitting 110 MPH and the governor would kick in. Speed isn't something that I'm worried about, not at midnight on an empty highway. Today, in the same turn with my 4Runner at 140km, the truck was the same as the Tundra at a NASCAR race. Stuck to the line like glue! No teetering. No tottering.

Let me tell you more about your beloved Escape ... the little plastic door on the bottom of the steering wheel that is suppose to hide all the wires just kept falling between my feet. The rear hatch kept creaking every time I slowly drove over a speed bump or turned in a driveway. The wind HOWLED from all angles. Because it was a rental and started out 1/4 full, I kept feeding it $10 (Canadian) ... $10 EVERY DAMN DAY! Don't give me a BS story about it's gas mileage. My 4Runner beats that one hands down!

Ford, and now especially the Escape, are vehicles I do not want to be near any more. The Escape is a health hazard, a pig on gas, and exactly what we all come to expect from Ford! Let the history begin and we'll compare notes in 5 years.

BTW, can you tell us what the word TOYOTA stands for. How about FORD? Get my drift?

You're probably the idiot that slammed the 4Runner last year and just signed back on with another id. Get a life and go away troll!
  • Options
    My other option is the Volvo S-80; a very safe car but the dealer is 18 miles way as opposed to 5 miles for the Toyota dealer. Also, 4Runner is probably much more reliably than Volvo S-80 (at least Consumer reports says so).

It just that roll-over thing with the 4Runner thats got me worried.
  • Options
    Got a hold of the dealer and they will not lower the 4Runner and if I did and they found out about it, it would void the warranty.

Interesting you say the Escape is not that stable, since its NHTSA gives it a stability factor of 1.17 and the 4Runner a 1.15 -- the higher the number the better. Perhaps one way to lower the 4Runner and not void the warranty is to get smaller wheels: any ideas on this one?

(Cound not find anyting about the hybrid Excape being delayed 2 years.)
  • Options
    How can you make any comparison between an Escape and a 4Runner? The 4Runner is a much larger vehicle and has a much higher ground clearance. The stability factors only differ by 0.02. You would think for a smaller vehicle it's stability factor should be much better, but it is not.

Perhaps instead of making vehicle alterations you should make adjustments to your driving style. Honestly, don't you think that Toyota engineers know what they are doing?

**(Cound not find anyting about the hybrid Excape being delayed 2 years.) **

-Keep looking...you'll find it. Delays are common with auto manufacturers. My comment wasn't necessarily a disparaging one. Toyota, on the other hand, was not the first to market a hybrid, but it is one that is both reliable and highly recommended in nearly all auto magazines. How many FORT products (FIX OR REPAIR DAILY) can say that?
  • Options
    gasburnergasburner Member Posts: 31
    "However, I think you're in for a rough time in this group if you're trying to suggest that Ford is better than a Toyota!"

Every Vehicle has strong and weak points. Don't compare your experience with an the much cheaper Escape rental to you 4 Runner. A better comparison would be the 4 Runner and the Explorer. On that I might point out the following:

Consumer Reports has the V6 Explorer more reliable than the V6 Toyota.

Edmunds picks the Explorer over the 4 Runner.

More people buy the Explorer that the 4 Runner.

Ford must have done something right.
  • Options
    nick4597nick4597 Member Posts: 50
    I've had my 03 Runner for about a year now.... never once came close to any wheel ever leaving the ground and I admit I can sometimes take corners a tad too fast. If you are that scared about tipping over in your SUV here's advice: Don't buy an SUV. If you drive responsibly and don't take 90 degree turns at 60mph you'll be alright. Some people are just WAY too paranoid. Just remember, the vast majority of media outlets you hear these stories from make money by scaring people. Buy a Camry.
  • Options
    I think part of yabedude's arguement in comparing his experience is because the Ford hybrid SUV will be based on it. To be fair though, comparing any rental car that is well used and likely abused to a new car is not warranted.

Sure, there are things that I would like to see changed or improved in the 4Runner, such as the ability to have the upgraded stereo with NAV and a multi-CD Changer, improved cup holders, and auto up-down windows on BOTH front windows. I guess Toyota's answer to some of these problems is to purchase a Lexus GX470, a much more expensive vehicle. Coincidentally, the 4Runner is built at the same factory as the Lexus GX470, arguably one of the best in the world.
  • Options
    If the tire is low to the ground, then I could replace it with a 200 pound lead weight and get run flat tires (not sure if there are run-flat tire sizes that accomdate the 4Runner).

By having the lead weight, the balance between front and back would be improved (a 4Runner has a 54/46 Percent weight, front/rear).

This solution has three benefits: (1) center of gravity is lowered, (2) one of the main causes of roll-over being a blow-out on a tire, thus the run-flat tires would prevent that, and (3) better manuverabilty due to a better weight balance between front and back.

As for being paranoid about roll-over, see:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0404/30/c01-137256.htm
  • Options
    Fr every death, there of 10 people are made quadreplegics; 20 made parapaligics; and 40 suffering perminate brain damage.
  • Options
    Of course, those 200lb lead weights will wreck havoc with one of your concerns, namely perceived "poor" fuel economy. Also, by having such heavy lead weights, braking distances will most likely increase dramatically, necessitating a much improved braking system. Maneuverability would also decline. I hope that your comment was some sort of attempt at humor.

"As for being paranoid about roll-over, see:
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0404/30/c01-137256.htm "

Did you happen to notice in the graph accompanying this link that the sharp rise in Roll-over deaths is correlated with the sharp increase in consumers purchasing SUVs? As I mentioned before, and as this article reiterates, "Automakers, governments and drivers have a shared responsibility for safety" and "the federal government will save more lives by encouraging seat belt use than by issuing new safety regulations. Approximately 79 percent of Americans buckle up. Increasing belt use by 1 percent would save 200-300 lives a year."

I am sure that you aren't paranoid, but in order to improve the safety of any vehicle, drivers need to be more responsible. A percieved "safe" car, such as a Volvo or Saab will be of no importance if the driver has poor driving skills or is careless.

"Fr every death, there of 10 people are made quadreplegics; 20 made parapaligics; and 40 suffering perminate brain damage"

The consequences of accidents are indeed tragic. Since reducing accidents requires a multi-pronged approach, it should be self-evident that one easier approach is to increase driver awareness and attention during driving and using all available safety devices (ie. belt). However, I cannot feel much sympathy for an accident victim if the accident is due to carelessness on their part. People have to take responsibility for their actions. This will not prevent all instances of roll-over, but many will be.
  • Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    of rollovers, then don't get an SUV. I have to say that I completely do not understand why you want to get a body-on-frame SUV, designed to drive offroad, and lower it so it is no longer capable of driving off-road.

If you don't want to go offroad, why do you want a 4Runner? Get a unibody cross-over instead, like a Highlander. A cross-over will have a lower center of gravity, it will handle better, have a better ride, and get better mileage. What it won't do is be as capable offroad. But if you emasculate a 4Runner as you plan, it won't be capable offroad either (and you will have made the ride even worse the stock).

If you don't want an SUV, then don't get one. Get a cross-over or wagon or minivan instead. You'll save money, save gas, and be happier in the end.
  • Options
    The Highlander is not nearly as safe as the 4Runner is one compares them using IIHS crash results.

The nice thing about an SUV: one is seated 10 inches (on average) higher off the ground than a car, so an impact on the side hits lower than otherwise. The best option is the Ford Excursion in which one is about 20 inches further off the ground than a car, but the Excursion has not side head air bag and after looking that the body, there is very little between you and and side collison.

It appears to me, the 4Runner may be the best overall choice. Indeed, a Volvo XC90 is a safer choice, but much more expensive and less reliable (to me reliability is also partly a safety issue).

It a hard choice that I need to make soon as my car is on its last legs.
  • Options
    yabedudeyabedude Member Posts: 26
    troll a.k.a. trolling:
    The act of posting a message in a newsgroup that is obviously exaggerating something on a particular topic, hoping to trick a newbie into posting a follow-up article that points out the mistake.

flame bait:
    An intentionally inflammatory posting in a newsgroup or discussion group, designed to elicit a strong reaction and to create a flame war.

Based on your 4Runner positive feedback thus far, it would seem that you have a bone to pick regarding someone you know, possibly yourself, who was involved in an SUV rollover and seemingly injured, let's hope not fatally. I'd say that Toyota, and most likely a 4Runner, was in the center of the claim. If that's the case, then I'd be interested in reading the whole story ... what condition was the vehicle in before the accident; what condition was the driver in at the time; what were the road conditions; and so on. Then, one can better understand your point.

However, posting extreme criticisms about the 4Runner, and in our beloved 4Runner forum, is akin to one posting something positive about Adolf to a Jewish forum!. It's not right, and not accepted by most. It's better known as trolling.

An interesting Canadian site is:
    http://www.autooninfo.info/index.html

Hmmm ... lookie here. Ford's on top! NOT! http://www.autooninfo.info/NAEd200311ToyotaSubaruScorePerfect.htm
    http://www.autooninfo.info/NAEd2003FebCAAsTopTenList.htm
    http://www.autooninfo.info/NAEd200302ToyotaDomPyramids.htm

How about some user surveys that show how popular Ford is:
    http://www.autooninfo.info/MiniSurveyMenuPage.htm

Even without reading anything anywhere, I'd have an extremely tough time coming to a conclusion that Ford is better than Toyota. If what was said on this forum is true, how could Ford's quality change so drastically when statistics are taken north of the 49th parallel? Is it possible that Ford has a greater influence in how statistics are collected in the US? A statistic means little, but profits (and consumers) tell all.
  • Options
    I am only trying to decide which vehicle to buy given all the variables.

FORD reliability and numerios aspects of safety stick.

Nothing I have said is a lie. I like facts.

As I said, probably the safest auto is the Volvo SUV XC90, but its unreliable and costly.

4Runner has a good price, its reliable, and is safe except for roll-over and perhaps the roof not srong enough to support the vehicle weight on a roll-over.

To buy a frame-on-rail like to 4Runner has the ability to have a rollcage installed, but I do not know anyone I can trust to do the job right.

Another option is to get the 4Runner and then after the warranty expires, have springs removed which would lower it a bit. Having run-flat tires would be really good since roll-overs are rather likely if one has a blow-out and is going over 50 mph.
  • Options
    "FORD reliability and numerios aspects of safety stick."

The words Ford and reliability should never be uttered in the same sentance. From nearly every resource, FORD products are not synonymous with reliabilty. From my own personal experience driving a Ford Explorer V8, I can tell you that it feels more top heavy and seems more prone to roll over than a 4Runner.

Comparing the Volvo XC90 to the 4Runner is hardly an appropriate one, as the Volvo is car based. It would be more appropriate to compare it to a Highlander, which also fares well in impact collisions and, being car based with a lower ground clearance, will perform more like a car with greater on road maneuverability.

"To buy a frame-on-rail like to 4Runner has the ability to have a rollcage installed, but I do not know anyone I can trust to do the job right."

It sounds like you have too many paranoia issues. It is a wonder that would would consider any SUV. Perhaps being driven in a large, safe armored car would be more to your liking?

One concern you brought up recently is how the Excursion would be a safe vehicle, save for the lack of side air bags, yet it is an incredible gas guzzler (although, for it's size, it isn't that bad). When purchasing ANY SUV, especially a truck based one, there are various compromises that need to be made, but there are slso many advantages in owning an SUV over a car. For most types of accidents, you are much safer while in an SUV. Roll-overs are rare accidents that predominently occur in SUVs, but their instances can be greatly avoided with appropriate driving. Your chances in being involved in a roll-over are mostly related to the way you drive. It an SUV is involved in a side impact, it's liklihood of rolling over is slim. Many roll-overs occur from taking a corner too quickly for the prevailing conditions or hitting a low barrier, such as a curb or low railing.

You are sounding more and more like a "troll."
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Let's stick to the 4Runner and stop casting aspersions around eh?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Perhaps it's time we stop rising to the bait here, and begin ignoring these ever more bizarre and obvious trolls. Ignore it, and it will eventually go away.
  • Options
    toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    Buy a bubble. They are very safe and you won't need a roll cage. They are wind powered so they get good mileage and are very reliable, the one and only thing you have to worry about is if someone burst your bubble. Then you will have to have your insurance buy you a new bubble.

Stop worrying and go buy what you like.
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    How much lead would I need to lower my bubble ?
  • Options
    hhmmmmm........I wouldn't add any, it would drop like a "led zeppelin"
  • Options
    kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Abrams M1 tank or bicycle with roll cage. Thoughts/suggestions?
  • Options
    Truely, the best laugh I've had in about 2 years; i.e., the bubble/lead bubble/M1 material. I thank you.
  • Options
    You mean the bubble would fall down like an Iron Butterfly ?
  • Options
    rayh78rayh78 Member Posts: 6
    Still suprised why their is not much to warn new buyers about this. It is even called a bad egg smell instead of what it really smells like.
    The posts say it is caused by gasoline and not the design of the 4 runner. Could be but I have never smelled it on another car or heard about it before. I can not drive mine with the windows open unless I drive it like a little old lady or like it had a 4 cly engine. Defeats the purpose of having a V8. Also have not heard much about the problem from the lexus model owners. Could it be they would not have stood for this?
  • Options
    You are right that Toyota should advise potential customers about this potential problem, but it is my guess that they are concerned about losing sales, of course. Only a small percentage of 4Runner actually have the Sulfur smell in typical driving conditions (ie. driving with the rear cargo window closed). I personally only experienced this problem when attempting to drive with the cargo window open (which the owner's manual forbids). I have been using various grades and brands of gasoline, but typically use 87-89 octane. For my 4Runner, Exxon seems to be the best.

Recently, I read that the federal government may relax the restrictions on sulfur content in order to help reduce the recent hikes in gasoline prices and to increase supply. If this is true, it is possible that the sulfur problem could become more prevalent my summer, during peak travel periods.
  • Options
    Expecting Toyota to advise people of the POTENTIAL problems that a few people have experienced before they sell you a vehicle is unreasonable and ridiculous. The only way to level that playing field would be to require all manufacturers to alert potential buyers of potential problems. Never gonna happen. Ford would have to give out a small book of problems to anyone who walks in the dealership.

btw I've been riding around lately with the rear window down and gunning it occasionally and still can't get it to smell. I have only put premium in it though if that makes a difference.
  • Options
    I've put nearly 16,000 miles on my '03, V8 4Runner Limited, and have yet to encounter this odor problem. But, I also use high quality, 91-93 octane, low sulfur fuels such as Sunoco, Shell, or Chevron. I also clean my fuel system every 2500-3000 miles with Chevron Techron Concentrate (fuel additive), and this added measure may also help to keep the catalytic converter in good condition.

My guess would be that the more one uses lower quality, higher sulfur content fuels, the more the catalytic converter might become "doped" with an excess of sulfated compounds, and the more the exhaust might then stink. On the other hand, switching consistently to a higher quality, low sulfur fuel should eventually correct the problem, and allow the catalytic converter to burn off and puge itself of the excess sulfur.

I would speculate that most of those who have the sulfur-odor exhaust problem are probably more likely to be filling up with a variety of fuels, and perhaps choosing fuel based more on price or convenience, rather than sticking with brands such as Sunoco, Shell, or Chevron.

Several months ago I posted a message here that included an interesting link from Sunoco. I don't recall the message #, but the link included various tables published by Sunoco in which (at least for Sunoco fuels) there was clearly an inverse relationship between octane rating and sulfur content. In other words (at least for Sunoco fuels), the higher the octane rating, the lower the sulfur content.

Out of curiosity, I've previously done a good deal of "web research" on this issue, and I've repeatedly seen mention of avoiding a variety of fuels, including BP/Amoco; as well as avoiding or minimizing fill-ups at sources that are most likely to buy whichever off-brand, generic fuels are the least expensive. Such stations might include a variety of convenience stores that also sell fuel, as well as certain local "Mom and Pop" gas stations.
  • Options
    jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    Has anyone successfully lifted their 03-04 runner w/ XReas? I'm look for a 2-3 inch lift, but I can't seem to figure out how to work around the XReas suspension. I like XReas very much and when I bought it I figured someone would make a lift kit for the 4runner within a year (I guess I was wrong).

I've been offroad a few times now, but now I'm thinking of upgrading the armor and the ground clearance.

Thanks.
  • Options
    rayh78rayh78 Member Posts: 6
    I am sure your opinion will change when you do get the smell. It seems to happen at a different amount of mileage with different owners. Reading on different forms it seems like a few that don’t have it instead of the other way around. Also you should call it a likely problem instead of a potential one.
  • Options
    mgabel2mgabel2 Member Posts: 37
    I'm VERY confused here: You say: "avoiding variety of fuels, including BP/Amoco"

I was under the impression that BP/Amoco (Ultimate - hightest octane) is very low in sulfur. That's what their web site says and that's what I recall reading on this site. I've had an 04 V8 Sport for 3500 miles and have ONLY used BP/Amomco Ultimate and I have had "no" [ok, a whiff here and there but I was not sure whose vehicle it was coming from] sulfur smell.
  • Options
    I don't know what forums your on but I am on some popular 4Runner sites and the smell is reported by a very few (they like to be loud about it and complain every chance they get though). I don't have the smell, I won't get the smell and I will be enjoying the summer with the rear window down.

Anyway my point was not to deny that people have this problem it was how it would be ridiculous to warn customers before buying the truck over this potential problem.
  • Options
    I don't have it. I have an 03 Sport V-8. I put only name brand fuels in it , mostly 87 Octane.
     I do remember that Amoco / BP ultimate was supposed to be one of the lowest sulfur gasolines, too.
     BTW I have noticed the sulfur smell on other than Toyotas. I was behind a Hyundai Santa Fe, That thing was ripe. . .
  • Options
    stove1stove1 Member Posts: 53
    I had it for two month after I bot my 04 in January. Its gone now. Don't know its new engine thing or winter gasoline casusing the smell.

Gas brand made no difference.
  • Options
    erisareperisarep Member Posts: 16
    None, never. V-8 limited, 2003. 20,000 miles. Great truck.
  • Options
    highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Have been using Sunoco Ultra 94 and Amoco-BP Ultimate for 6850 miles in my 04 V8 4Runner. No sulfur odors.

The vehicle is almost perfect. For 05 if Toyota adds a 6 disc cd with the Nav, auto power up/down for the passenger window and a 8 way power passenger seat, it will be perfect.
  • Options
    mud7mud7 Member Posts: 6
    Howdy, all.. This is my first post to Edmunds, feels great to be here!
    I've had my 4Runner for almost a year now, and I really like it.. But I can't say I love it..
    Yea, I know it's a Toyota.
    But what happened to that classic Toyota fit and finish ? My '85 Landcruiser doesn't have the interior pops and rattles that my new rig does, even with over 190,000 miles on it..
    In particular, IT'S THAT CHEAPO HEADLINER that's causing all the ruckus.
    Question: Are the '04's any better, and is there a real fix for this? (sunroof wiring was 'fixed' by dealer, gotta go back again)..
    Next question:
    Although "Sporty" corners well for a ladder frame with a live axle, and pretty darn flat to boot, I still have issues with understeer..
    Yes, I know, it's a truck, but..
    I Was wondering if anybody out there could offer advice on aftermarket tires to replace the stock 265/65-17 Dunlop AT 20 Grandtrek's..
    Or, any other insight as to why this rig wants to go straight when it's a-turnin' we should be doing!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome Mud7 - there's also a Toyota 4Runner: Problems and Solutions discussion you can check out.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    mud7mud7 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, Steve
  • Options
    canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I'm in the same boat you are. I have the same tires & the steering is poor. For me, steering a straight line is harder than going around a turn. Prior posts quite awhile back were complimenting the Bridgestone tires. Anyway, I only have 6K so new tires are not in the near future for me.

I might try P265/70R17 tires (if they fit) when the time comes due to the greater selection.
  • Options
    kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    I posted this previously but the first year or so of '03 ownership, I used BP/Amoco high test almost exclusively. Frankly, the smell was pretty bad during moderate to heavy acceleration. Last November, they tore down the Amoco/BP dealership where I bought 90% of my gas. I switched to Chevron 92/93 and have had no smell since. The kids miss the "who cut the cheese?" jokes though.
  • Options
    mgabel2mgabel2 Member Posts: 37
    Ok, what's the skinny? Which gas is best for avoiding sulfur? "Any" well known brand? Those that advertise low sulfur (I only know of BP/Amoco), only high test? I had sort of bonded with BP/Amoco, even going out of my way to find it, and now I'm not sure.
  • Options
    lildevil23lildevil23 Member Posts: 19
    Finally got the vehicle after 2 weeks. Was made to wait as they said the SE was in demand too great to be fulfilled on an immediate basis. Titanium metallic/moonroof/DRL/Spoiler/Deflector/Toyota Viper Anti Theft alarm/Floor mats/cargo system/extended warranty for $34G's out the door. No lojack..thanks for that alfster1!!

I am in love with this car and the hoodscoop just gives the truck a definite presence on the road, unfortunately the truck is proudly driven and owned by my wife, anyways i am still more in love with the 92 Camry SE!!:)

As others noticed, the foot rest on the drivers side is congested, with my feet hitting the parking brake, either i need to get the seat pushed back or find a better way to get around the problem. Need to get used to the backup mirrors. Will keep ya all posted.
  • Options
    Congrats on your new SE purchase :) It will bring you many years of happiness, I am sure. Enjoy paying $2.09/gal in the NY area though :( What dealer did you purchase it from? Toyota North?? I still have an 1990 Toyota Camry LE...It still runs like a champ.
  • Options
    2.09 per gallon...and with the sulphur smell that all of ya keep talking about..hmmm..Is the fuel across the bridge(NJ) any good..cheaper too..Westchester Toyota was my dealer..pretty good place..but needed to be a lil difficult..otherwise great buying experience!!
  • Options
    Well, there are some places in jersey that I have been to that sell regular unleaded for $1.79/gal. I think that the formulation for NY gas is different than NJ gas though due to NY's lower sulfur limits.

Are you experiencing sulfur smell? Did you happen to purchase a V6 or V8 powered 4Runner?
  • Options
    No sulphur smell yet..just drove out the dealership the day before. Got the V6 SE
  • Options
    From Sunoco: http://sunocoinc.com/market/transportation_fuels.htm#INTRODUCTION

Take a close look at tables 3 and 4, and look at how sulfur content tends vary inversely with octane rating. (Good luck trying to find from other oil companies this kind of on-line information and disclosure about sulfur content. For most, this sort of information seems to be a closely held secret.)
  • Options
    Great :) I am sure that you will put on many miles over the weekend. Rain is in the forecast though :(

You've got to get XM Radio next. The XM Commander is great and complements the interior well.