Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• aik262aik262 Posts: 9
    AIK262 hey, i bought a 2004 v6 5spd, same problem, just got let clutch surfaces break in a bit,My 3rd gear would catch pretty good when I up shifted.
  • millerfordmillerford Posts: 10
    We just bought a new Chevy Silverado 2500..Duramax, Alison, LS model...about 3 or 4 months ago. This truck has been nothing but trouble. Everything that could possibly to wrong with GM's crappy engeniering did go wrong. We traded in our 2001 F-350 7.3L PSD..best truck possibly ever owned. I would give the world have it back over this heap. Time was taking it's toll on the Ford, but it still ran better and had better power, torqe, looks, and engine than this Silverado. I am a Ford man, but thought why not give the other guys a chance. Now I know why i'm a Ford man. GM just really lost themselves yet another consumer of their crap!!! Never will own another one again! Now i'm looking for a used F-250 with the old 7.3L possbly a 2002. We used the 2001 to tow our six horse trailer...no problem towed like a champ..but we sold it and got two 3 horse trailers...Sundowners...amazing trailers. So yeah :sick:
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    Based on your forum name and bio: "I'm 16 and on my first Expedition, well hopefuly my first of many. I love Fords hate GM with a passion:) I don't think you can get any lower than you are with a GM product:)):)).

Who would have imagined you'd have trouble with a GM?? Let us know what has actually gone wrong with "your" 3-month truck and maybe we can help? Or maybe not!
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    What was wrong with it? Power, torque, looks, engine? That should have been noticed before you bought it. A simple test drive would have been a good comparison.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I think the I'm 16 part says it all...
  • aik262aik262 Posts: 9
    wow, thats a change, they lost truck look with new front grill and lights hopefully the inside looks better, the tahoe looks better then that
  • hws49hws49 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info aik262. I'm hoping it will loosen up
    as it wears.
  • pickles077pickles077 Posts: 30
    Poorly designed front end. The front bumpers are painted where the slightest contact will mar the paint. Bring back
    our chromed bumpers with vinyl rub strips.

If I have to buy a truck with a painted front bumper it will be a Toyota.
    P.
  • grabowskygrabowsky Posts: 74
    Of course that kids story is bogus. I have a new 2500HDwith the Duramax(360hp and 650 f/lbs of torque). Don't even try to tell me that any stock F-series engine makes even close to that power level. Yet he claims his old Ford was more powerful.I don't have anything against Ford diesels except they are noisy and the 6.0 seems to be a piece of crap(at least according to Ford).
  • mojo63mojo63 Posts: 1
    where is that resistor located????? bought the part but can't locate ...just changed the cabin filters but didn't see anything remotely looking like the resistor ....is it near the heater controls????????
  • erik_werik_w Posts: 4
    I have spent a good couple weeks looking at trucks, and taking test drives. I'm set on the Silverado, but I'm having second thoughts on the Z71. Do I really need a 4x4, no. But, I'd hate to buy the truck and wish I had the 4x4, or worse, end up needing it later. Plus, I'm guessing that 5 years down the road I'll be better off when I sell/trade it having the 4x4. Anybody have any opinions? Does it cost a lot more to maintain the 4x4? Thanks...
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    There's a little bit extra cost to maintain (diff/transaxle fluids), slightly worse fuel economy, and more to break obviously. In most cases, it appears a used 4x4 is worth a substantial sum more. Is it more than what it costs when new? I dunno, it would take some investigation. I've never bought a 4x4 because it's not something you'd likely say "i wish I WOULDN'T have bought" but more likely the other way around. I've not found many conditions where 2wd is better.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    Contrary to the recommendations (mostly from 4x4 Owners) I would NEVER by a 4x4 just because it has higher resale if I didn't have a specific need for it. And personally I never have, even though there may have been a few times while living in Upstate NY it may have been helpful. ;)
    Does anybody know when the 2007 Silverado Classic is coming out? I was at my local dealership trying to make a decision on 06 EXT-Cab Z71 and I asked my salesman for a "book" on the Silverado. She said she couldn't find an 06 book and said I could look at the brochure for the 07 Silverado Classic.

So my main point is that if they already have the 07 books, are they close to getting the 07 Silverado Classics on the dealerships?
  • joe29001joe29001 Posts: 48
    The 2007 Classics are already on the lots around here (Mass). They should be arriving at a dealer near you soon.
  • gmcjoegmcjoe Posts: 11
    Let me assume you have a new body style truck (since you say you changed your cabin filters). On a 2000 the blower resistor is located on the HVAC assembly near the blower motor. Remove the cover on the bottom of the HVAC assembly by loosening the three 7 mm hex head screws. Once the cover is removed, if you were sitting in the passenger seat, your right foot would point to the blower resistor. The wiring harness uses a connector that has seven wires in an in-line configuration. The wire colors are tan, yellow, purple, light blue, black, orange and orange. When mounted in the HVAC assembly, the actual resistors are in the blower's air flow, to help dissipate heat. Hope this helps.
    If they are calling it a "Classic" is that NOT the new body style that's coming?
  • joe29001joe29001 Posts: 48
    No, it's the old body style, a carryover from 2006.
    It's definitely the same as the 2006. I have a brochure and some of the pages are exactly the same as they are in the 2006 brochure, including the front page.

I'm guessing Chevy has a bunch of parts left and aren't ready with the "new" 2007 model so they are just selling 2006 trucks and calling them 2007. I don't mean anything wrong by that statement. And, I'm not saying Chevy is wrong. I'm just saying the 07 Classic is exactly the same as the 06.

Erik
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    This is not a new practice by any means. GM did the same thing nearly 20 years ago with the new Chevy/GMC (C/k) being sold alongside the old body (renamed R/V series). Ford has domne this with the last two F-150 designs (F-150 Heritage).

kcram - Pickups Host
    Gotcha, Thanks. Didn't think the new ones were here yet. ;)
    Why does my gas tank have a radiator in front of it?
  • dagoreddagored Posts: 13
    Why does the chevy truck series have such a problem with the lights. one running light or a head light always seems to be out. What is going on and how can I fix it? :mad:
    I haven't seen to many headlights out, but you can fix the DRL problem by replacing with a bulb that has a "LL" suffix. Stands for "Long Life", or "Long-Lasting". I've been using them since the new'99s came out and am yet to have one burn out.
    I just got a 06 Silverado Z71 Ext-cab. Silver Birch Metallic exterior with dark charcoal leather interior. The truck I bought was a fully-loaded with the 3LT package. I'm pretty damn happy with the price, too. It stickered for $35,900 and I paid $27,400 after rebates. I also got the 5 yr/100,000 mile warranty.

So does anybody have any advice on taking care of this rig? Can the oil % used monitor be trusted or should I just get an oil change every 3000 miles?

Thanks in advance...
    Erik
  • gmctruckgmctruck Posts: 186
    Same here.... I used the "LL" rated Amber lights in my DRL's. My truck is a '99 Sierra and I haven't lost a DRL bulb since I made the switch many years ago.
  • dagoreddagored Posts: 13
    I think I am using LL lights also. I will have to check. thanks
    What does "GMC" stand for? Most people seem to think it stands for General Motors Company. The only problem with that is GM itself won't say if that's correct or not. I once read it stands for Grabowsky Motor Company,the originators of the brand. GM says the name of the original company was Rapid Motor Company. Any ideas? I'm sorry this post isn't about freaking out about a simple problem like DRLs. :)
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    Check out this link:
    http://www.gm.com/company/corp_info/history/gmhis1900.html

Max and Morris Grabowsky built their first truck in 1900. In 1902, they organized the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company and began production to build one-ton trucks. This company was the beginning of GMC Trucks.
This discussion has been closed.