Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MINI Cooper

Comments

• cct1cct1 Posts: 221
    A couple of things to consider...

This is a brand spanking new engine. Which is why I'm going with a 2006. It took Mini/BMW a couple of years to work out all the bugs from the 2002 launch; although I expect the 2007's to do better than the 2002's, I'll still bet there are going to be some growing pains with a completely new design.

All of the external pictures to date have been test mules or artists renditions. There has to be some changes to accomodate the european pedestrian laws, but I doubt the external styling is going to change too much, with the exception of the new models lines being (re)introduced.

As for pricing, it really depends on where you live. In the midwest, for example, expect MSRP and a reasonable wait. In California, expect above MSRP, or MSRP and a very, very long wait (although this may improve with the increase in production and rumored changes in allocation).
  • As to concerns arising from Year One of Generation two - It is valid somewhat but - While Citroen is involved in the process, the engines are still being built by BMW in England and NOT in France (in a citroen facility) as it was indicated initially. Considering that the Bavarians are spearheading the operation and what sticklers they are in quality management, I will feel comfy taking the plunge with the '07 unless of course, I reverse my decision during one of those nights spent sleeplessly, visualizing myself in a Cooper - S with the top down and I deceide that visuals aint enough anymore......
    The exterior would be 90% similiar I would expect, not that I would like anything done to it really... Yes, there would be the slightly revised fascia/grille in tune with the pedestrian regulations..
    I live in NJ and they have always been available at MSRP, except during the very beginning. I am just hoping they wont make it longer than the current 143.9"" and more so, not any heavier - That would kill the spirit of the Mini!!!!!! If that seems like a possibility, then my vote is for the '06, even if I find this out for sure only by aug '06!!!
    Yes, there is a definite increase in production according to some high ranking goodfella from Mini - I thought I read it right here on insideline or mini2.com, maybe. Happy motoring, with your '06 mini! Good Luck with your purchase too!
    Cheers!!
    --K
  • I do alot of commuting, 110 per day. 2/3 on highway at 70+ and 1/3 on country roads. Love the look of the Cooper and enjoyed a short test drive. Now the big question, anyone out there do a substantial amount of driving in their Cooper and can comment on the long range comfort? Thanks
  • My wife has the base Cooper, but with sports package and premium package (by way of explanation, the car came that way--but was the color she wanted). The sport seats are very comfortable but I wouldn't expect the base seats to be the same. We've spent several trips in the car and it's surprisingly comfortable--your commute should actually be a blast--some great gas mileage on the hgwy coupled with a daily rip through the country turns. We joined a Mini Club and it's a kick doing the country touring. Minis hardly need their brakes for turns since the car just gobbles up the hair-pins. This is my view of it all, others may have a different take. I should add, my car is a BMW 3er and I really like the Mini--including the comfort of the seating. Hope this helps.
  • We've taken my wife's MC on a number of long road trips. The car has the premium package and the sport seats. The seats are actually quite comfortable. However, on rough road, you do bounce a bit. Usually this isn't a problem on the highway, but in town there are a couple of streets we try to avoid when we've picked up the morning coffee. :)
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    I commute a 100 miles a day and presently have 61k on my 2003 5 spd. Cooper (only options are bonnet stripes and color -Indi Blue). I bought the car specifically to replace an older commuter (91 CRX). Have been consistently getting 34-35 mpg at 70 -75 mph. The ride is as enjoytable or boring as you make it. Comfort is all in the adjustment of the seats. The sport pkg seats mentioned add side bolsters over the standard seat but unless your rallying alot the side bolster won't matter to a commuter IMO.

Ray T. :shades:
  • Way cool from each of you have have driven the Cooper and find it comfortable in long trips and routine commutes. My favorite commuter was an 87 Accord hatchback coupe. Small, handled well, about the size of the current crop of 'economy' size cars. Rayt2, I presume you are driving a Cooper base not S. No problems with the 70-75 mph highway and excessive road noise?
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Congrats on using the Cooper as a commuter car! A touch of class, and massive savings in gas - out here all we see are Coopers used as "show and tell" vehicles by city dwellers going out to clubs, sort of the Bimmer of the new millenium on a reduced scale (but fortunately most owners are lot less arrogant than the 90's Bimmer crowd used to be).
  • No problems with the 70-75 mph highway and excessive road noise?

We've never had a problem with the noise - its not any noisier than our 98 Camry. Occasionally there's a bit when we hit the cross wind just right, but going 65-70 on the road hasn't made excessive noise. We have the stock 15" wheels & tires, so bigger wheels, run-flats, etc might make a difference.

-cosanostra
    Dave, Not an "S" although I drove both for comparison before buying my Cooper. In retrospect I should have bought the "S" just for the better performance but still enjoy the base Cooper. I find no problems with road noise at speeds, no more so than any other car I think. These cars are quality built, aside from some issues here and there, and road noise is comparable to many of the better built small cars. I usually am hearing the wind since I ride with the windows down most of time, with the windows up it's usually the CD I'm listening to and we all know the sound deadening qualities of that LOL. :shades:

Micweb, Touch of class it is indeed and still draws attention wherever I go. We don't have a lot of Mini's around my area, I'd dare say I was the first in 2003 but Iv'e seen maybe a dozen in past two years. The nearest Mini dealer to me was 50 miles away although we have a BMW dealer directly across street they don't sell Mini's nor will they in near future according to Mini USA Corporate office. Sure would increase my odds of upgrading to an "S". The local "show & tell" shows turn up a few but their all drivers just tooting their horns to show the public. I even helped sell a couple of cars just by letting people sit in the car and get the feel, granted they were leaning towards one but the "feel" is what draws em in. The dealer rewarded me with $50 dollar "bird dog" certificates which was cool for my referrals and eventual sales.
    I have run into the "beemer" snooties too but really don't pay no never mind, lifes to short to be so hung up on oneself.

On another note I attended the SVRA (Sportscar Vintage Racing Association) Zippo Grand Prix race at Watkins Glen International this past weekend and saw a lot of the older original Mini's running their hearts out, they are still quite competative to this day and still draw the smiles on the crowds.

Ray T.
    2003 Cooper
    Thanks for the post. I periodically think about getting one - it's unique in the incredible handling it offers for the $$$. I think the regular model is just fine - not harsh riding, still handles well, acceleration is more than adequate.

Did you upgrade tires yet? Seems the only weakpoint in the basic package, they struck me as a little "skinny."
    Yes I upgraded to a 205/50/16 tire & wheel pkg. from Tire Rack $800 delivered to my door. It improved the already great handling of the car over the stock "skinny" tires.

I love the tirerack too. They beat dealer installed tires and wheels seven ways from Sunday. What did you get exactly? Kosei? (Lightweight.) Bridgestone 950's?
    I got the B.F. Goodrich Traction Radial 205/50/16. The thought being I wanted a beefier tire for looks and handling that would be a 3 season tire also providing "wet" traction for the rainy days. They had a good rating for the type of use I needed them for. The wheels are Fox Sport Edition, 5 spoke 16 x 7 (no longer carried) $880 delivered inc. mount/balance/ centering ring and lug bolts, ready to bolt on. The stock 15" all season tires just outright sucked to put it plainly. I also bought 4 Dunlop Winter Sport M2 snow tires for my winter weather driving. I mounted them on the stock 15" rims and put the all season tires in my shed where they will probably reside till I throw them out or sell em. They were terrible in the snow. The Dunlop's were a great improvement for the Mini when driving in snow. I highly recommend snow tires for anyone using their Mini in winter weather driving.

• Micweb,
    I've been to a few of the mini meets and the people are just good common people. We tried coming up with abreviations for the "Smug Bimmer" crowd. After being cut off treated with the worst road manners I came up with this one.
    B M W. . .Bohemian Manners While (Driving).
    Joester
    B M W. . .Bohemian Manners While (Driving).

he he
  • Besides recommending snow tires, anyone who has driven a MINI in the snow tell me about your feelings? Handles well? Safe at speed and on the highway?

Thanks
  • How are you guys doing on gas mileage? I just got my
    Mini s and have found it not quite as good as I thought. Not willing to give the Mini up but just wondered what everyone else was getting.
    Thanks
    The Mini does OK considering it's size. Anything over the front air damn though and you'll be plowing snow until you can't go anywhere. That is the limitation on unplowed roads. As far as safe on the road, that's relative to your driving habits in the snow. If you have the mentality of some of the crazy SUV drivers I've seen driving in snow you'll be in the ditch with them. They seem to forget that while they have superior traction ya still gotta stop and that's where physics takes over. :P LOL

If I were buying a new Mini and lived in areas subject to snow I would be getting the Limited Slip Differential option for sure.

Ray T :shades:
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    I've been hanging around a few other discussions, but I keep coming back to the Cooper every month or two. I just can't stand how every commuter car is, well, it feels like a piece of tin. I had a Volvo 240 years ago and it was a solid little tank. There's no reason other than being cheap that a small car has to be an utter tin-can.

That said, I did some research - here's my options list with resale value in mind:
    Cooper S. Look at the prices for a used Del Sol VTEC, which everyone wants compared to a stock one, which nobody wants. When the car is ten years old, the S models will be what 99% of people want to buy. No brainer choice, really.

It seems as if automatic would be a must(though I hate them myself) - that I'll have to diverge from my "plan" on - Stick is a must for me. 160+HP, though, it's a rocket with the automatic anyways. The Matrix/Vibe with automatic and the big engine is another simmilar "sleeper".

Other options(feedback appreciated - the goal is to "muscle-car" it, with performance mods and little amenities being the focus)
    - White with black top/trim. Lowest cost paint and a classy look.
    - No packages(options added individually, since most packages really only have 1-2 must-have options)
    - DSC and Limited Sllip. These are like ABS - useful and will be heavily sought-after when it comes time to sell it.
    - Stock tires. Most peolpe don't want fancy, expensive tires. Saves $$$ too. Big grippy tires also cost you 1-3mpg on average.
    - Standard lamps. Xenons are blinding anyways and pricey to replace.
    - Foglights added.
    - Arm rest. Silly not to have it.
    - Basic seats. Black latherette.
    - Anthracite interior(free and looks better, so why not)
    - NO automatic A/C. In a car this small, it's just another thing to break.
    - Chrono Pack. Must-have. Putting the speedometer and tach behind the wheel is a huge improvement. Used, people want this option, btw. The onboard computer is a nice bonus, too.
    - Cruise/multifunciton wheel. Cruise control is perhaps the only really necessarry "luxury". Most people will want it, and wheel-mounted audio is a must these days.
    - Stock audio system. It's fine. Thank god it's not Bose.
    $22,500 plus $550 delivery. $1900 in options for what you gain - it's way better than a "package". Pretty much what you need to make it a desireable car when it comes time to sell it(or still a superb car if you don't).

My only quandry is about accessories. These are the ones I really want:
    - Aux audio input. No-brainer, really. $40
    - Cupholder accessory. $50 and worth every penny. Can fit a normal drink, finally. Otherwise the car has "AUDI-itis" - with holders that are really just auxiliary change/etc holders
    - Map light. Again, it's actually nice functional upgrade that adds a bit of class. $28
    - Black carpet mats $95. Another must-have. Makes the car look a bit classier, as well.
    - Black rubber boot mat. Protecting the carpet is silly not to do. $50
    - Bumper protection strip. Same deal as above. $40 For $185, I guarantee that the car will have at least $185 less wear over 3-5 years.
    - Wheel locks (I live in Los Angeles, unfortunately) $31 - can't avoid these.
    That's $338 in dealer-installed options, which is quite respectable. All of it seems to also be on the "necessarry or almost so" list.
    $23,388. Total options: $2288

Comments? I think optioned out like this, it would have great resale value and be a kick in the pants to drive.
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    Honestly, I'd get what you want, not what you guess the next owner will want. I think you're putting way too fine a point on one's ability to decide what will be popular in a few years. There are some options that tend to be more popular than others, but I hardly think things like the "Chrono Pack" are must haves for resale. If you want it, go for it, but not for resale.

My take is that options typically depreciate at a higher percentage than the base car. So if you really want to buy a car, drive it for a few years, and get back the absolutely highest percentage of what you paid (minimizing depreciation), I'd get a base MCS - no options whatsoever. But again, get what you want.

Finally, if you're worried about resale, I'd avoid black paint like the plague. Black cars, unless you're an absolutely fanatic about washing/waxing, invariably look like hell in a few years. They fade in the sun and show every swirl mark and defect. The most resale-friendly car color is probably silver - it is very popular and looks great, even if not maintained terribly well.

Have fun,

- Mark
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,738
    That's why White would work as well - it hides huge amounts of ills, though why they can't make a metallic white paint is beyond me.

As for options, yes, the non-mechanical additions do depreciate fast. I ditched the armrest from the equation. I decided, also, to drop the S. It's fast, but it's too big of a premium. The lack of a spare tire and relying on run-flats actually is a negative for resale value with the S(not pricing, but finding somone to buy it). $338 in dealer options isn't overkill. The chrono pack is a must-have, though. It's inexpensive and adds a lot of functionality to the car.

Modified(and much shorter list):
    Cooper, White, White top. $17,500 (maybe black top - dunno)
    Sport Suspension Plus - $500
    DSC - $500
    Front Foglamps - $150(duh - should be standard, though)
    Rear Foglamp - $100(my choice here - think all cars should have them, after seeing one in action last night)
    15" Delta Spokes(free, so why not? The plain wheels look dreadful. These also don't have caps over the lugnuts to loose/have the paint fade)
    Standard interior. Anthracite. Grey seats - $0
    Chrono Pack - $300
    -----
    $1550 in options. Keep it simple and functional. Foglamps up front not optional. Rear one is a good safety feature. Chrono pack is the only non-safety/performance thing I'd be getting because I would want it for myself.(grin)
    $256 in dealer options. (dropped the cupholder - it felt flimsy and without the armrest, there is a nice big holder there already. Droped the maplight. Kept Aux input. That's actually useful - I can put a MP3 player in there and reduce clutter.
    -----
    $19,306. I think this is as inexpensive as I can get while having the car be performance-minded. Any other options that you'd recommend?
  • crunchcrunch Posts: 84
    Having owned and sold two MINIs prior to the one I now have, I think you are off base on your assumptions about resale. The market says otherwise. More options, quicker sale at higher residual. I sold a one year old MC totally loaded for $700 less than MSRP. Not Bad. ;)
    One last thought, no matter what the market is today, who's to say that the day after you take delivery, a new something-or-other hits the market and destroys the resale of the MINI. Where would you be then? MINIs are about passion, not prudence! Buy it, drive it, enjoy it! :D
  • reuel3reuel3 Posts: 114
    You may also consider posting in the MINI Cooper: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion. Best of luck with your decision!
  • LOVE everything about my G35 coupe, but had it 2 1/2 years (20,000 mi.) and thinking time to change. Drove Mini S and thought it would be fun. Convertible sounds good in FL, but visibility doesn't seem good whether top up or down. Also liked the sunroof. What about gas mileage? Required options? Concerned about problem comments I read, i.e. engine light coming on. Closest dealer to me 70 miles. All comments appreciated.
  • akitadogakitadog Posts: 117
    Go ahead and buy one. If you think it's time for a change after only 2.5 years with a car, then, should you have any problems with the MINI, it won't bother you too much to go ahead and sell it a year or two down the road, for a good price at that.

Gas mileage much better than G35 (25 city, 32 hiway). Get sport package, LSD, multifunction steering wheel as must-have options. Also, manual tranny all the way.
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    I love my MCS, but I woudln't bet on a huge bump in gas mileage over a G35. My 2004 gets 21-23 in everyday riding (70% city), and maybe 27-29 on the highway and the 2005 model shortened the gearing which made the highway mileage worse. A lot of folks are having trouble cracking 25 consistently. The Mini aerodynamics are poor and the engine, while very robust, doesn't reflect the latest fuel economy technology.

Also, a dealer 70 miles away would be close to my threshold of pain for service and warranty issues. While most of the bugs are out, there are still a lot of Mini's out there which require repeated trips to the dealer to iron out a bunch of niggling problems. With a 3-hour round trip time for each problem, this could be a real headache.

You might consider a Mazda 3.

- Mark
    Or check out Pontiac's new Solstice ! I have been thinking of a change to the sharp little roadster they came out with which is competative price wise with the Mini S. Only problem is they are taking orders (without a test drive) for April 06 deliveries. I usually don't buy without a drive & buying based on looks alone doesn't cut it for me. The Pontiac dealer is 1 mile from home compared to 50 miles for Mini dealer. Now that I have no warranty left it is a concern based on past issues I had with my Cooper. Hell, even Mini had both models to test drive for comparison when I bought mine in 2003. If only the BMW dealer across the street from me would pick-up a Mini franchise (which Mini corporate stated no plans for this in my area) it would resolve the distance to dealer issue I have. Then I could wait for the Cooper Roadster to debut in 2008 ;)

• Greetings, I have a Mini S 2005, with only 1,000 mile plus, and I have noticed in the lower gears, or when decelerating, there is a popping sound. Or a not to loud backfiring sound coming from the exhaust area. It doesn’t do it all the time, but sometimes. I called the dealer and he said this was perfectly normal for the 2005 S. He said it’s a through back to the 1960s Mini when they were raced. It sounds strange that this popping sound or backfiring should be normal? Anyone out there experiencing this, or could share information, can be annoying. Mark?
  • cct1cct1 Posts: 221
    Yes, it's perfectly normal, your salesman was dead on. It's kind of a gurgle/flatulence sound, and it's there on purpose. Many Mini owners get a kick out of it, and try to get the sound whenever they can. I have to admit, I kind of dig it....
This discussion has been closed.