Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Torrent

Comments

• Options
    rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    just filled up for the second time. 21 MPG on the frist tank,,about 282 miles. second tank 328.7 miles on 13.96 gallons = 23.54 MPG. drove 55 mph, hilly terrain, 1 passenger to and from work. temp in the 30's and 40's. pleased so far.
  • Options
    tim66tim66 Member Posts: 22
    Now have 385 miles on my FWD Torrent. The first tank yielded 19.6 mpg. Most of this was city and suburban driving and cold weather. If it will produce mid 20s after a few more miles I will be satisfied. Traded a G6 for the Torrent and happy so far.
  • Options
    i would like to find an aftermarket rear cargo cover for our torrent. i don't like the system offered through pontiac. i would prefer a retractable window shade type similar to what the crv and escape use. have done several searches but find nothing. have thought about having an upholstery shop make one. any ideas?
  • Options
    took a short trip the other day. 170 miles,4 adults, solling terrain, all highway, temp in the mid 50's. 25.8 mpg.
  • Options
    bstinmanbstinman Member Posts: 6
    I have about 1,500 miles on my AWD Torrent. Driving 80 miles a day (mostly freeway) and getting about 20mpg. A little less than I had hoped for.

Anybody out there notice that you can't turn on the rear seat light without the front seat light also coming on? Doesn't seem to be any way to turn off the front light when the rear seat light is on which is dangerous when driving. Occasionally we will need to switch on the rear light to check on the baby or what not.
  • Options
    kfrielkfriel Member Posts: 31
    Newbe here, just found this forum. My wife and I just got a Black AWD Torrent. Loving it. Have about 1800 miles on it so far. We shopped the hell out of this truck and Pontiac won us over. Equinox to plain, no style, Saturn Vue too plastic-ie Honda motor too high strung. Ford escape too small etc etc...
    This is our first GM anything so we shall see. Love the way it handles. Not sure I like the idea of the car telling me when to change my oil so we shall see. Thank GOD I don't have low air pressure warnings in tires sensors! Hello and reading the mail.
    Kevin
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I must say, I do like the styling of the Torent. But thats really it. I really think the new RAV4 is going to sell VERY well, esspecially since it's much bigger now. Also, Mazda sends the CX-7 to this side of the pond in the spring. A 244hp AWD crossover that has been generating a very big stir in the crossover segment. Not to mention how much butt the Murano has been kicking the past few years.
    To be honest, I do think initial sales of the Torent will be good, but, will taper off drastically, like every other GM product.
    With the competition in the auto industry these days, you have to build a reliable product, with high quality materials if you want to sell vehicles. With the superb quality that the [non-permissible content removed] companies are putting out, it's no wonder the "big 3" are in such trouble. Build a quality car, people will buy it!
  • Options
    slinky1slinky1 Member Posts: 42
    just to comment on the "superb japanese quality", the torrent received 88pph as a j.d. power score for the first 6 months os 2005, in may when the full year results come out, if that number stays the same or close to it, the torrent will be the segment leader in initial quality.
    GM received gold,silver and bronze awards, a clean sweep for plant quality from J.D. power.
    I think perception and heresay over powers fact these days.
    SLINK
  • Options
    I think you will find it's a 250 hp 3.6 L , with the 3.4 remaining as the base engine.
  • Options
    rpursleyrpursley Member Posts: 2
    When you say you think the 3.5 will be available next year, do you mean this calendar year or the 07 model year? I hope you're right. What's your source for this?
  • Options
    Gas mileage at 2100 miles is not quite what I had hoped for on the AWD getting more like 15-19 in mixed driving. Sill loving every mile though. The electric steering is a bit weird. Any body had one done for first service yet at the selling dealer? How much?
    Kevin
  • Options
    3.6, 08 model year............
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    the torrent received 88pph as a j.d. power score for the first 6 months os 2005, in may when the full year results come out, if that number stays the same or close to it, the torrent will be the segment leader in initial quality.

Key word is "initial". How do they rate after 3 years? Will they be on the road past 100k miles? Read Consumer reports, you wont find very many red dots next to any of them. They will also be on the "used cars to avoid" list by them as well.
  • Options
    dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    Just took delivery of new FWD Torrent. MSRP was $27030, dealer cost was $25,327. If you believe the Kelly Blue Book trade-in value for my trade, I paid $900 under dealer invoice. If you believe Edmunds used car values, I paid $1300 over invoice! The truth is somewhere in the middle. My past experience tells me Kelly values are usually closer than Edmunds. Dealer claims I paid $500 over invoice.

Really like the Torrent. Gave heavy weighting toward the movable rear seat with all the leg room. My wife also likes the styling-it's her car.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It may depend on which Kelley Blue Book number you saw - KBB has online numbers and a different book for dealers (volvomax, "Any Questions for a Car Dealer?" #12829, 16 Jul 2005 1:38 pm).

Congrats on the new Torrent!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    feelfroogyfeelfroogy Member Posts: 5
    Love the look of this SUV. I was previously looking at the Equinox, which they aren't much different, other than styling. But the Equinox has been so nortorious for problems, I fear that there will be the same amount of problems with the Torrent. Any news or anyone have problems that would make you think twice of every buying one again? I have a friend who bought the Equinox, and it has been in the shop more than she has actually driven it. Please give me info, if anyone has any. Thanks!! :shades:
  • Options
    i think the problems with the nox were first year production bugs. we have had our torrent for 6 weeks, about 1800 miles. Zero problems of any sort. highway mpg around 25. we are very happy with ours to date. i think the american auto brands are much better than they are given credit for. if you will notice how quiet this page is and compare it to the honda crv pages. and honda is to be the most reliable suv in it's segment? HHMMM?
  • Options
    jbgrahamjbgraham Member Posts: 34
    Glad you are having such a good experience with your Torrent. I agree that Detroit is suffering perception problems - many of their own making, however. I fear that this page is quiet because so few people are even willing to consider the Torrent. And now that the new RAV4 is out, the Mazda7 soon to be here, the Edge in the wings, I wonder if the Torrent will/can be updated to even stay moderately competitive. The interior upgrade over the Equinox wasn't sufficient to compete IMHO - and the engine issues have already been discussed. I wanted to like this vehicle more than I did. All these vehicles are expensive enough that those who buy them should be absolutely happy with their choices. Am glad you are. J
  • Options
    feelfroogyfeelfroogy Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info. I worry that spending that much money on a brand new car, is something that I will end up regretting when I have a good car now, just it doensn't have that "new smell" anymore. So far I haven't heard anything bad on these yet. Thanks again. ;)
  • Options
    I have had my FWD Torrent for about six weeks now and no problems. I run it a little hard and gas mileage is running around 19.5 mpg. My only gripe is having to pay $35 for door sill covers that should come standard on a 23 grand vehicle.
  • Options
    Wait you GOT door sill covers or did you order them? The only thing I "know" I can get right now is a chromed exhaust tip.
  • Options
    Had to order them..They were here in four days.
  • Options
    tim66 thanx for the info looks like parts are becoming available
  • Options
    Got my Torrent a month ago and actually worked accesories into my negotiation. I got Red Tag pricing plus a 1000 rebate and the following accessories at no cost:
    Door sill plates, Front and back molded splash guards, Exhaust tip, Window deflectors, molded hood protector, trailer hitch & all weather floor mats. I also paid for the side steps which looks really sharp. Its amazing what walking away from a dealership without a deal will get you. Also, do a search for "pontiac torrent" on ebay and you can find some accessories. I got a third brake light cover for 10 bucks that looks pretty sharp.
  • Options
    Nice, I also took advantage of the Red Tag and $1K rebate. I have the splash gaurds and am going for a third party class 3 hitch install next weekend. Should prove interesting. ANYBODY had 1st service yet? How many miles till light came on and how much?
    Kevin
  • Options
    Did you get the rear splash guards with the Torrent logo on them? Mine has the logo but the logo is the same color as the splash guards (charcoal grey) so you can't really see it. The picture on Pontiac's site shows the logo in white. I'm curious if I got a defect set or what?
  • Options
    same as yours. Logo is rear set only and not white.
  • Options
    rogueangelrogueangel Member Posts: 6
    Imam looking for a new SUV for the wife..
    Currently we have the Mazda Tribute, which is due to go back in 2 mos. She wants something different.
    We have begun looking at a few vehicles..On the higher end we like the Nissan Murano, then to follow, we like the Torrent, Sorento,..
    I am looking for the better bang for the buck..
    I know the Torrent is NEW..
    Any suggestions, has anyone compared these as well..
    I need her to test drive these, but she cannot right now due to an injury. need a week at best..

I would also like to see more people disply their purchase, or lease prices paid..This would help a tremendous amount, no one need to know their finances..

Thanks, I look forward to the help!! :P
  • Options
    Ok owners, how many have heard "who makes THAT?" Followed by "it looks like a X Y Z?" Geez I had to buy a chrome license plate holder to put the word "PONTIAC" on the car. Apparently the red dart does not suffice these days.
  • Options
    i know what you mean. many positive compliments about our torrent. i like it the i drive it, that's not often,,,it's my wife's car.
  • Options
    forgot to mention ZERO problems after 2500 miles and 24.5 mpg.
  • Options
    balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    here is LINK:
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2006-02-16-drive-torrent-usat- _x.htm

A Torrent of criticism for Pontiac's new SUV
    This won't be one that wows 'em with General Motors' new dedication to premium presentation.

One of Torrent’s strong points is its attractive styling. It looks more expensive than it is.

Torrent, Pontiac's version of the crude Chevrolet Equinox crossover SUV, seems cheap and clumsy — like the Equinox (Test Drive, June 18, 2004). The front-wheel-drive test vehicle's plastic parts were yester-tech; brittle and flimsy. The automatic transmission gearshift lever slopped, clackety-clack, through its positions. The back of the front seat feels as if it's throwing you forward off the seat. The markings on the wiggly, imprecise climate control knobs are almost impossible to see in daylight (though easier when illuminated at night).

Using the turn-signal lever — as a designer at a rival company once said about his own flop — feels like breaking a chicken's leg. Audio control buttons on the steering wheel spokes are so small they are hard to push with a bare hand, never mind a gloved one. The gear-position indicator is down by the shift lever instead of up higher in the main instrument panel. That means you have to drop your eyes from the road ahead to tell if, for example, you got the lever all the way into drive, or spaced out and left it in that lower gear you used coming down a steep hill. (Eventually the engine drone would give you a clue, but why not make it easy?)

Plastic trim that surrounds the ignition slot and covers part of the steering column was feeble and loose in the test vehicle.

The V-6 engine vibrates. You notice how much when you shift into neutral waiting at a stoplight and the Magic Fingers shaking ceases.

Handling — defined here as the ability to go around a corner quickly, gracefully — is OK at lower speeds, but becomes suddenly cumbersome and unusually nose-heavy (even for a front-drive vehicle) with the addition of 1 or 2 mph, and does so without telegraphing to the driver where the dividing line is. Body lean is minimal when Torrent is in its well-behaved handling mode, but the lean grows rapidly as cornering speed increases even a little. Not what you expect from a sporty brand, as Pontiac is trying to become anew.

Faint groans issued randomly from the rear of the test vehicle, which had about 4,100 miles on the odometer. In its defense, that's a lot of miles for a vehicle that goes from one beat-it-hard journalist to another. But not enough to justify such noises. And they were the maddening kind — unpredictable, so you wouldn't be able to describe the circumstances to your friendly service guy, nor expect the Torrent to misbehave when he drives it to check.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration files show no recalls, no investigations and almost no complaints. But they do show a significant number of technical service bulletins, or TSBs. Manufacturers send a TSB to alert dealers to a widespread problem and to have them all fix it uniformly.

The first one that pops up on the TSB list at www.nhtsa.dot.gov is a doozy, suggesting the Torrent has problems with the engine losing power, the transmission failing to downshift, the heater motor going on strike and the speakers buzzing. Others deal with safety belts that are difficult to use. Car companies have been installing belts only about 50 years, so you can see why they might not have it figured out yet.

The front-wheel-drive test vehicle — no four-wheel-drive model was available for testing — was pitiful in the slick, uphill driveway test. Regardless of whether the traction control was turned on or off, Torrent barely could claw upward through snow and slush. And even though it was able, finally, to climb the driveway, Torrent got left at home that day for fear it wouldn't handle safely in the slippery mix of snow and slush. Just another example of what a fraud it is to pitch traction control as a substitute for all-wheel drive, or as a great thing for slippery winters. All makers, not just GM, are guilty of that.

All Torrent's problems are due to its close kinship with the Equinox. GM put a Pontiac body and trim on the Chevy and called it a new model. Instead it's just a different wrapper around the same flaws. Worse, it's a throwback to the bad old days of so-called badge engineering — essentially the same vehicle sold by different GM brands. The automaker has pledged not to do that from now on.

But Equinox and Torrent predate GM's recent get-serious effort, which explains the Torrent but doesn't excuse it.

If you ignore the flubs and focus on Torrent's good points, you find:

• It is handsome, a vehicle that'll catch your eye and make you think you're looking at a much classier, more-expensive SUV (which makes the shortcomings seem that much worse). Cargo space is generous and cleverly supplied with bins and nooks so that small stuff needn't pitch and roll in the way-back vastness.

• The back seat slides fore-aft to tailor the vehicle for cargo or passengers. Even with the back seat fully forward, legroom in back is remarkably good. Long-limbed adults fit. Alas, the stiff and poorly contoured back seat isn't a great place to be, regardless of roominess.

• The back of the front passenger's seat folds flat for more cargo space.

• The transmission is a decent-shifting five-speed automatic instead of the smooth but dated four-speed gearboxes on many newer-design GM models.

• Kid-seat attachment hooks, called Latch connections, are easy to reach instead of being buried so deep in the upholstery you swear they aren't there. GM thoughtfully provides three sets instead of the normal two. That means you can sit your precious in the middle of the back seat, which is the safest spot. It also means you can quickly attach three kid chairs across the Torrent's back seat, if the kid seats aren't too wide.

• There's a good deal of side-flop space in the front seats for those who like to draw up the outboard leg and lean it toward the door when cruise-controlling down the big road. The reason the room is there — and it's a major comfort plus — is because the power-window switches are in the center console instead of on an intrusive pod on the door panel. You decide if the unfamiliar location of the switches is a fair price for the side-to-side leg space.

The best news is that Torrent is blatantly atypical of vehicles GM has launched recently. It's hard to take Torrent seriously as anything but a kind of wink-wink, nod-nod place holder in the lineup.

2006 Pontiac Torrent

• What is it? Small, unibody crossover SUV, similar to the Chevrolet Equinox. Available with front-wheel drive or four-wheel drive. Manufactured at Ingersoll, Ontario.

• How soon? On sale since August.

• How much? Front-drive model starts at $21,990 including $590 destination charge. Four-wheel-drive starts
  • Options
    Dang, and to think I could have had a 4 banger 2 liter BMW X3 for $10,000 more. ummm NO thnax
    Black on Black 06 AWD lovin it! I got my BANG for the BUCK
  • Options
    sounds like typical GM bashing. i assume they rave about the perfection of all the other makes. we have a black/black fwd torrent and love it. not all critics are living in the real world. by the way ,,,i have changed the oil for the first time and our torrent has not caught on fire. it has never pulled to the right. gm engines don't develope sludge over time. shall i continue? all cars have weak points and some build lemons.
  • Options
    tiggeranddwtiggeranddw Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at buying a torrent for the past few months. In looking at it I have noticed it has a front windshield that has been inset. Being that I live in New York I was wondering how well it is in the snow. My dad and I have a fear of it causing the wiper motor to burn up if we get a very heavy snow. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    Balich,
    Did you have it done at the selling dealership and how much was first service? Lastly how many miles until your oil change light came on?
    Thanx
    Kevin
  • Options
    i do all my own changes. changed the oil the first time at 2000 miles. i like to do that on the first change of a new engine. used mobile 1 and a new filter. oil life monitor has not come on yet,,only have 2500 miles on it now.
  • Options
    We live in the "snow belt" of NW Pa. I have to agree the inset windshield is a pain when it come to removing snow. The method that works for me is to brush it from bottom to top over the roof. A couple brush swipes in the wiper well and its good to go. This is my first 2 wheel drive vehicle since 1988 and was pleasantly surprised at its ability to pull thru the snow. :)
  • Options
    dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    The above referenced article is largely erroneous. I've owned Acura, Lexus, Mercedes, Toyota and many others. Recently, I've had more minor problems with my Acura RL than I've had with either my Dodge pickup or the Pontiac Torrent, although my wife just has a 1000 miles on the Pontiac. I can argue cars with the writer of the article and have owned near to a hundred cars in my life.

The engine does not drone and is smooth. Transmission shifts are smooth (Forum readers should note the problems M-B has had with its new 7 speed automatic) and the interior quality is commensurate with other vehicles in its price range. Interior room is excellent and visibility is good. None of my controls "wiggle" or "feel like breaking a chicken leg".

The Bosch electically assisted power steering is one aspect that can be improved. It does have a numb, over assisted feel that could be better. It does not feel cumbersome, nor is handling any worse than comparable cross-over vehicles.

A major plus on the Torrent is its five-star safety rating.

The Pontiac Torrent is not a Lexus or a Mercedes, but it is also $20,000 or more less than the comparable models. It's fine value for the money and I believe most owners will be well pleased. Most of the automotive press has an anti-American car bias that is ingrained. American companies have made a lot of progress over the last five years and many models stand equal to the imports.
  • Options
    Has anyone leased this vehicle?
    I am in negotiations with a dealer on pricing.
    My current Mazda lease expires in 2 months and I want to start gathering intel on new vehicles.
    We are currently down to 2 vehicles..The Suburu Tribeca LTD, and the Pontaic Torrent....Yes, they are at diff ends of the spectrum, but I want to see what pricing comes back on both..

What, if any, of you, are paying for leases on the Torrent.
    I gave the salesman the following requests: AWD, Leather, premium pkg..NO special BS extras are needed..

Anyone leasing something similar......I also specified NO MONEY DOWN..Nada, nil, zilch..Taxes tags reg etc I expect to pay up front..All else, WASTE OF MONEY....

Thanks for the info, I am gald to read many of the positive notes you all have on this vehicle, and that most if not all are quite happy with it..

Again, I just wish aside from praising the vehicle, we can start to compare prices, leases, and payments...
    This is anonymous, BUT it could help the next owner, or prospective owner.
    I for one would be glad to share the info I accumulate..

Right now, the current figures on the table for the Torrent are: 800.00 TOTAL out of pocket.....$359 mos...39mos lease...gap included. This was for the AWD, with prem pkg, and sound and sun...
    Colors were not specified, but may have to be what is on lot...they had a white one...Color actually interested in was the Storm gray, or whatever the darger gray is called, with the charcoal leather int

This is essentially for the wife who will drive it 98% of the time.....With two kids 9 and 13..

My sticking points are: Dealer has made no inference as to paying off my remaining 2 mos on the mazda...He has offered to build the pymnts into a current lease..

Why would I pay for 2 trucks, and only drive one?
    I could wait until 4/21 when the last pymnt is due....

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance for the help.
  • Options
    This is the first vehicle that I have leased..
    Sticker was $24840.....800 down and 259 a month for 48 months...This is GMs Smart Buy lease program....Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Did not lease but here our my thoughts on the Tribeca B9. And this from a former 2.5 RS Impreza owner. The Tribeca has a wonderful interior. However the motor simply does not have enough power to get out of it's own way.

Being previous Subaru owners we were hoping it was better then it is. The Tribeca would be a home run if they had a new motor for it. The old H6 does not cut it in that heavy of a vehicle. We went with Poncho instead for about 5K less.
  • Options
    jim_dandyjim_dandy Member Posts: 94
    Come on!
    This does not sound like a unbiased and fair test drive review!
    Sounds to me like a "Big GM" SUV ran over Jim's old lady's cat, and he's venting his frustration the only way he knows how. :cry:
  • Options
    This is the first vehicle that I have leased..
    Sticker was $24840.....800 down and 259 a month for 48 months...This is GMs Smart Buy lease program....Hope this helps.

Was this for an AWD Torrent LOADED?
    I am looking for the AWD w/the premium pkg, leather etc..
    I have kids who are slobs LOL!!
    Was the 800 T O T A L out of pocket...NOTHING MORE?
    800 paid, took keys and went home happy?

The deal I referenced in my first post above is where I am at now..
    800 out of pocket, and $352 mos!
    Will work on that some more...
    My sticking point is what to do with the remaining 2 months on my current lease...I was hoping to strike a deal which would buy out my last 2 mos, and get me a new car!!

I will report back if I make any headway on this or the Tribeca..Just for informational purposes..

To the guy who chose the Torrent OVER the Tribeca..Was the engine your sole basis for the choice?
    If so that is an interesting area I will look at....As was your other mentions!!

I hope to see some more numbers to compare....There is strenght in an intelligent buyer, and we can all learn from each others mistakes as well as conquests!!

Thanks, I will continue reading!!
  • Options
    In reply to the Torrent vs Tribeca, The lack of luster under the hood combined with the loftier price was the deal breaker on the Subie. My wife really dug the interior/exterior
    I knew we would not be happy campers in the So. Cal 85+ fwy environment nor pulling a trailer.
  • Options
    Why can you not CLOSE the air vents? Why is there no ARM rest for rear seat passengers? Why is the steering SO over boosted. Why doesn't it say Pontiac anywhere on the vehicle?

Those are mine.
  • Options
    Well the wife biffed the Torrent today, in the rain. Drive made a U-turn in front of her and she was re ended as well. Appears to be comsetic and didn't bash into the radiator. Truck held up well. Airbags did not deploy. We shall see. 4500 miles. Not even two payments. :sick:
  • Options
    dogpiledogsdogpiledogs Member Posts: 1
    I need something that will tow a small camper and Torrent boasts the ability to do it. However, my question is: it has the power, but does it do it with just a hitch thrown on, or is it a complete tow package w/tow-rated cooled trans, etc. and it is an option from the mfg? I was looking at the Dodge Caliber today - it comes with the option of the mfg installed tow package, but is much smaller compared to the preferred size of the Torrent. But, I don't like what I'm reading about the feeling of the steering. Will test drive one on next day off - is it a reason not to buy? Should I wait til the better engine and for these things to be fixed? I'm in no hurry - don't have the camper yet. Thanks for any opinions.
  • Options
    Well I'll chime in. We put a class 3 hitch on ours to pull a two motorcycle trailer. Toungue weight is ~435 pounds and per the manual don't expect to tow more then 2900 pounds. The rating of 3500 is kind of a overall rating including passengers and load in the vehicle. That said a little bit lagging under the hood climbing hills but other wise not complaints. Factory install is a class 1 hitch I believe and requires nothing special as in tranny cooler or suspension, fans etc....
  • Options
    joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    I don't know why people are comparing the Torrent with an M-B or BMW. The new RAV4 has much better value, interior, price, and engine. A fully loaded Suzuki Grand Vitera MSRP's for under 25K. Why would anyone pay 28-30K for a Torrent with an obsolete 3.4L, made in China, engine that only get's 18 MPG?