Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Welcome to Edmunds Forums!

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2013

One way to do that is to click on the Forums link way up and then use the Make Model search (i.e., Browse Forums by:).

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507
    edited December 2013

It remains to be seen if this is a Microsoft situation: "Everything's different and nothing is better."

I'm hoping not. If nothing else, it's much quicker. The posts I saved, for a number of reasons (they appeared below the topics I followed), appear to have been driven to the interglactic bit bucket, along with post numbering and several other things.

The next week or so will be interesting.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,539

@berri said:
    The new site seems to be quicker. There is one thing that seems to be missing. Under the old system if you wanted to browse a vehicle like a Highlander, you could go to SUV, click Highlander and then see a time based list of topics and comments under it. Now if you go to SUV you get a mix of time based comments on all of the vehicles. If you search Highlander you get a very broad range of things like driving reviews. I liked the previous capability of comparing say Highlander, Traverse and Explorer comments about issues and problems without all SUV model comments mixed in. It was very useful in comparing these and helping make purchase decisions. The separate driving reviews are easily found elsewhere on the site. Am I missing something here?

The forum is organized mostly around make and model.

Go to the top of the page (any page) and click on "Forums", and it will take you to the forums landing page.
    There are two big buttons to search by make and model, just like in the old forums.

It's the more general discussions that are harder to find, IMHO...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,102
    edited December 2013

Interestingly, the post above will not allow me to quote it using the Quote button. Bug?

@kyfdx said:

The forum is organized mostly around make and model.

Go to the top of the page (any page) and click on "Forums", and it will take you to the forums landing page. There are two big buttons to search by make and model, just like in the old forums.

It's the more general discussions that are harder to find, IMHO...

If you look at the "General" topic in the right column, a lot of the old Forum structure seems to be there. Not all of it but some. There is a SUV topic, for example. Not sure how it got decided what went where.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited December 2013

@ab348 said:
    a SUV topic, for example. Not sure how it got decided what went where.

We had categories in the old forum and those got massaged and assigned new categories as well as tags. The SUV topic probably was linked to another non-SUV discussion some way.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

It's the old Microsoft effect. Instead of just fixing the bones, the IT guys or consultants always have to tinker with surface stuff often to a disadvantage. Take Word or Excel, over the years the changes are liked by some techies and power users, but most everyone else prefers (and uses if allowed) the older versions. Overall though, it's nice to have what seems a stronger and more stable base in here.

• Options

Well, I checked all of my comments here and the oldest I can find is from December, 2000. I think there was a software change around that time that wiped out some older stuff. Whatever, I've been here at least 13 years!

• Options
    MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Member Posts: 101

@berri said:
    Under the old system if you wanted to browse a vehicle like a Highlander, you could go to SUV, click Highlander and then see a time based list of topics and comments under it.

Our new structure is based primarily on Makes and Models, so if you want to see Toyota Highlander discussions, use the Make/Model dropdowns on the Forums home page to get there.

By contrast, our old structure was based primarily on body types (SUV, sedan, wagon, etc.). That dates back the launch of Forums in 1996 and was used back then simply because there wasn't enough content to fill out a Make/Model structure.

Over the years, we never changed from the body type structure because, as the Forums grew, it became harder-and-harder to do so. But now we've finally made the effort.

I understand that change is difficult. But please understand that this change was necessary in order to ensure not just the long-term success of the Forums but, honestly, their very survival.

Also, let's face it --organizing around body types doesn't really make any sense. If you own a BMW 3-series Wagon, for instance, and want to figure out why it won't start, where do you look for help? If you look under Wagons, you have to sort through dozens of other Makes and Models that have nothing to do with your car. And what if the person who had the solution posted it under Sedans?

Sorry for the long post. Just want to help folks understand that sometimes change can be a good thing.

• Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

In addition to what Mark said above, we have twice hit a "limit" of sorts with the previous Forums platforms. The really old timers may remember the original platform required us to stop discussions - they were "topics" back then - at 500 posts because the system would come to a screeching halt (without ABS) if someone tried a search on a topic that was larger than that. Each subsequent platform change has given us more flexibility.

As was mentioned earlier, this platform is new for all of us - so until we get a little mileage on it, we'll lean on each other to find some of the nuances.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

I understand Mark. I have a BIL and one of my kid's boyfriends who are both in the IT business. We get spoiled by tech and think it should be able to do everything, everyway - but it all has parameters and constraints like most anything else in life...and there's better and worse in pretty much any particular life experience as well.

• Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786

G'day

After playing around a little, I am finding the changes a vast improvement. Especially important for me is that response times in Australia are dramatically better. Even with fast connections, I would often find the old site would time out somewhere.

The ease of photo posting is also wonderful. However I am having trouble posting images at the right size to display correctly. They either come out at postage stamp size or postage stamp which leaps to original quality if I post at high image quality.

There must be a trick to get them to display full column width on the page. What am I missing?

Cheers

Graham

• Options

G'day

Another mystery for me. I have been posting comments here since 1999. How do the badges thing work - and no, I was not that sort of Boy Scout?

Cheers

Graham

• Options

@KCRam@Edmunds said:
    In addition to what Mark said above, we have twice hit a "limit" of sorts with the previous Forums platforms. The really old timers may remember the original platform required us to stop discussions - they were "topics" back then - at 500 posts because the system would come to a screeching halt (without ABS) if someone tried a search on a topic that was larger than that. Each subsequent platform change has given us more flexibility.

As was mentioned earlier, this platform is new for all of us - so until we get a little mileage on it, we'll lean on each other to find some of the nuances.

So how does moderation work now? I see that you are listed in your signature as "Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator". Since that no longer exists, how are moderating duties being divided up?

I hope there is someone noting and prioritizing suggestions for changes to this initial rollout.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,507

A second "my bookmarks" link down here at the bottom would be very helpful--I think someone else has already suggested it, but I wanted to add a +1. Scrolling back up to the top every time to go to the next discussion gets old.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,157

@cdnpinhead said:
    Scrolling back up to the top every time to go to the next discussion gets old.

I get around the scrolling by picking an open area of the desktop and right-clicking. That brings up a flyout menu and "Back" is the top item. I also put the Bookmarks page as my favorite in the bar on FireFox. When I click to come to Edmunds, I'm already autologon'd into the Bookmarks.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

@grahampeters said:
    G'day

Another mystery for me. I have been posting comments here since 1999. How do the badges thing work - and no, I was not that sort of Boy Scout?

Cheers

Graham

I'm not sure about your photo question - the photos I've seen posted so far automatically resize to fit the width. I'll see if I can find one that behaves as you've described.

Re: badges - the system automatically awards you a badge every time you reach a certain "accomplishment," if you can call making 5,000 comments here an "accomplishment." :)
    They don't mean much to me, personally, however, I can see where they'd be useful to new members seeking credible feedback. In fact, my S.O. tells me he looks at those on other forums he frequents (mostly motorcycle or boat forums). If he gets a response from a member who has lots of badges, he puts more weight on it, because it at least means he's been around for awhile, and hasn't been run out of the forums as an unknowledgeable troll.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    edited December 2013

@Kirstie@Edmunds

Things I've learned to make navigation easier:

I have set the Bookmarks as a Favorite in the Firefox browser bar. So to come to Edmunds, I just click on that and it takes me to Bookmarks list already open with autologon. Now I don't have to mouse over from the general page to get to the box and Bookmarks. Same would work with IE.

I just put all the forums I visit in Bookmarks. Then when I go to Bookmarks if there's a yellow box over a text saying there are new posts, I click on that line and go there.

After reading each topic, I right-click on a bare area of the desktop and choose "Back" from the fly-out menu, which takes me back to the Bookmark page to click the next unread topic. It's the best we can do without the "Read New Posts" link we used to have.

In lieu of a Read New Posts, I suggested a Bookmarks link at the bottom of the page next to "Home" and "General" like we used to be able to just move down and click on Read New. Instead now just roll down from last post and click "Bookmarks" to go back to check for new items.

• Options
    edited December 2013

@imidazol97 said:
    Kirstie@Edmunds

After reading each topic, I right-click on a bare area of the desktop and choose "Back" from the fly-out menu, which takes me back

I'm traveling today and am on the laptop. I've been using your trick in a way - I start at the top of the page and click Recent Discussions. After reading a discussion, I hit the backspace key and it returns me to the Recent Discussions list and I can then click on the next one I'm interested in reading.

Same trick works with Bookmarks and if you post a comment, you can backspace and get back to the discussion list too.

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,716

Everything's pretty much working fine for me now.

And thanks for the 'backspace' hint, Steve, works like a charm!

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,716

Here's a question - will other areas of Edmunds be changed, like 'Edmunds Answers'?

• Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

@texases said:
    Here's a question - will other areas of Edmunds be changed, like 'Edmunds Answers'?

Uhhh...maybe...but give us a chance to figure this all out first! :p

• Options
    edited December 2013

Karen didn't mention that the site has undergone quite a bit of upgrades already lately, including more focus on prices, especially our new Price Promise tool. It's an overall cleaner look.

Answers hasn't changed, although we may figure out a way to tie it in better with the forums one day.

(And credit to Imidazol97 for triggering the trick. B) )

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

@cdnpinhead said:
    A second "my bookmarks" link down here at the bottom would be very helpful--I think someone else has already suggested it, but I wanted to add a +1. Scrolling back up to the top every time to go to the next discussion gets old.

I wouldn't complain if a second Bookmark link showed up, but the way I've been getting around it is to hit Home on my keyboard to pop right up to the top of the page I'm on.

• Options

Try a simple backspace. That's working pretty good for some of us.

• Options
    edited December 2013

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    Try a simple backspace. That's working pretty good for some of us.

I knew I learned all these keyboard shortcuts for a reason :)

One of these days my DOS skills will pay off...LOL

• Options
    edited December 2013

@Stever@Edmunds said:
    Same trick works with Bookmarks and if you post a comment, you can backspace and get back to the discussion list too.

Tapping the spacebar moves down through a list or page by one screen page.

Which is more convenient is whether your hands are on the keyboard already or are using an external mouse. I'm the extra mouse user type.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,803

@imidazol97 said:

Oh, that's VERY interesting! I never knew that. Interesting as well is the fact that SHIFT-Spacebar does the exact opposite... it moves the screen up by one. :o

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498

Is it me or are their just not many new posts on my topics?

• Options

@imidazol97 said:
    I'm the extra mouse user type.

Me too usually, but I haven't bothered to drag the mouse out and hook it to the laptop today. On the desktop, I'm using mousing 90% of the time. That's why I like the extra buttons on the mouse and the scroll wheel.

• Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

@ab348 said:
    So how does moderation work now? I see that you are listed in your signature as "Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator". Since that no longer exists, how are moderating duties being divided up?

We still have our points of emphasis so that the attention is distributed throughout the site - otherwise we'd be all over the place and bumping into each other. But at any time, you can contact any of us for help.

• Options

@carnaught said:
    Is it me or are their just not many new posts on my topics?

Could be a number of factors like... people working out how to navigate around our new digs (don't forget to let us know about any neat solutions YOU may come up with) or we're heading into a weekend (actually the LAST weekend) before Christmas and people do tend to have real life get in the way now and then. :)

Fa-la-la-la-la - VAROOM! (My sled has a V-8)

• Options

Ho-ho-ho

• Options
    edited December 2013

@imidazol97 said:

I'm giving you an awesome for your avatar. I especially like the way the background on your avatar blends in with the page so it doesn't really look like a picture with a border! :)

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

@PFFlyer said:

I'm giving you an awesome for your avatar. I especially like the way the background on your avatar blends in with the page so it doesn't really look like a picture with a border!

others have such avtars too

• Options
    edited December 2013

Oh yea... can't ever go wrong with a schematic of a vacuum tube (if I'm not mistaken) ;)

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited December 2013

I just noticed that my 'profile' says that I Joined November 5 but the year is missing. I also noted several other of my forum statistics are WAYYY inaccurate.

For example, it show '10 visits'.... When I know I have logged in nearly every day for over 10 years.

I have checked several other folks 'profile' and they all indicate the YEAR they joined. I know I have been a member since 2002.

Is there a way to correct my 'profile' so it accurately reflects my statistics?

• Options

That's not a traffic calming device?

• Options
    edited December 2013

@bpeebles said:
    I just noticed that my 'profile' says that I Joined November 5 but the year is missing. I also noted several other of my forum statistics are WAYYY inaccurate.

For example, it show '10 visits'.... When I know I have logged in nearly every day for over 10 years.

I have checked several other folks 'profile' and they all indicate the YEAR they joined. I know I have been a member since 2002.

Interesting because the Profile Page for me gives no indication of date joined and I have been posting since 1999. Suspect that something has got lost in translation.

Cheers

Graham

• Options

Interesting... the Alt+Backspace trick no longer is working.

• Options
    edited December 2013

Do you mean the Alt - Left Arrow?

Then again, I use a few dozen AutoHotKey macros and some of them step on the general key shortcuts so maybe that's why Alt-Backspace does nothing here.

Just clicking the backspace key should do the same thing as Alt-Left Arrow, at least in some browsers and on some screens.

• Options

@ab348 said:
    Interesting... the Alt+Backspace trick no longer is working.

Yea, ALT+left arrow and backspace have the same effect.

Alt+backspace could have thrown you into a time warp! :)

• Options

D'oh!

I got them mixed up. You are correct.

Can't we just have a "Bookmarks" button on the bottom of the page for dorks like me? :D

• Options
    edited December 2013

Heh... I want Windows Recorder back so I can program hot keys that will do all these little task sequences for me automatically!

Dear Santa...

• Options

That was a good little proggie.

• Options

@ab348 said:
    D'oh!

I got them mixed up. You are correct.

Can't we just have a "Bookmarks" button on the bottom of the page for dorks like me? :D

As long as you've come into a discussion from your Bookmarks page, once you're done reading and posting in that discussion, hitting backspace takes you right back to your bookmarks page and it's refreshed so you pick right up checking new posts in your bookmarked discussions.

Sort of an "invisible" bookmarks link!

• Options

And (I just noticed) when you have a LOT of bookmarks, like the 18 pages (and growing) of them I have, backspace takes you back to the page you were on in your bookmarks, but the Bookmarks link takes you to the first page of your bookmarks and you'd have to click a page number to get back where you were. SO, I'm betting a second bookmark link would do the same thing.

Go through the Bookmark door and stay there using backspace! :)

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

@bpeebles said:

I am guessing but I believe the '10 visits' is the number of times your profile has been viewed, either by you or others

• Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

Speaking of profiles, are visitors allowed to view member profiles and if so do they see email addresses if made available by member? (I'd check myself but haven't had to login again since changes)

• Options

@bpeebles - re: Join date discrepancy. We are aware of that and planning have that fixed. Unfortunately, it's going to be a manual process beginning with me recording individual member join info on a spreadsheet. :'( Then passing it on to the IT guys to edit on profile. Not going to be a quick fix. The other thing is, I'm going to go by what is listed as your registration date on your Edmunds account. Back in 2001 we changed that platform and everyone that registered prior to that had their registration date changed to when the upgrade took place. I know, annoying, but that's how it's going to be for a boat load of us.

• Options

@ray80 said:
    Speaking of profiles, are visitors allowed to view member profiles and if so do they see email addresses if made available by member? (I'd check myself but haven't had to login again since changes)

Visitors to the site can view member profiles. However, if you made your email address public, it does not display for visitors. Nor can the send you a private message. They must register and log in to do that.