Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• Options
    kkuligkkulig Member Posts: 150
    FYI... Mastercraft2 reported in another thread that recharging the battery took care of the "spinning gauges, blinking lights" electrical problem he reported here on #1244.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Hey, just came back to this thread to see any of the replies I had gotten! Well, first of all, I'm not saying since one vehicle of a certain brand is a piece of garbage that they all are, just that certain ones tend to be problematic. Oh, and the Grand Cherokee is up and running again, and 2 days later she drove back home in it. I wonder when the flatbed will be back...

As far as the Avalanche--the problems mentioned were mainly in a few early build models, and everything was mostly straightened out after a couple of months. The new GM triplets do have quite poor quality, but you have to remember, the Av is bascially a Suburban (that's been out since 1999), with the back roof lopped off. Reliability and absence of problems has been extrememly good too. Oh, and about trading in after a few years when problems start. You never do know, but this is the first vehicle I can see us keeping for the full term without many worries.

Oh well, back to the GC....
  • Options
    darionldarionl Member Posts: 3
    Hey all - I live near San Diego and am looking for a good deal on a JGC Laredo. A place in the area is advertising in the paper for new JGC Laredo's, any 2002, for $6500 off - that's with the $3k rebate of course. I'm willing to drive anywhere in southern california for a good deal, anyone know of a better price?
    Thanks,
    Darion
  • Options
    greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Does anyone have a copy of this TSB? Have 2000 Lorado and have had the rotors turned at 18,000 mis. If possible either post or send me a Fax copy @ 336 922 4772. Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    ravenscarravenscar Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Grand Cherokee and have a problem with the factory issued alarm system. A few minutes after I lock the doors (windows closed), the alarm goes off (lights, horn). Has anyone else out there had a similar problem? Can the alarm be deactivated without having to get a mechanic involved? Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    There are quite a few things that can trip your alarm system after it's armed. Tracking the problem down isn't going to be easy.

One of the most common problems is a faulty alarm switch in one of the doors, liftgate or under the hood. The hood switch probably gives the most problems. Especially if you have a bug/air deflector mounted to the hood that required the hood stops to be cranked up a little to allow the deflector to clear the top of the grill.

This is a plunger switch located on top of the passenger side fender. There's a pad mounted along the edge of the hood that depresses the switch when the hood is closed. This switch has to be fully depressed... if not, it can trigger the alarm. I had this problem on my old 93. The fix is to simply glue a thick piece of plastic or rubber to the switch pad on the hood. This will insure the hood switch is fully depressed.

That's one thing to look for. Believe it or not, a weak battery or one with a couple of cells going bad can cause this too. The alarm system is very sensitive to having proper voltage. You may want to check this and also your battery terminals.

You can disrupt the alarm system by simply disconnecting your battery to perform any kind of service work. The alarm needs to be "reset"... check your owner's manual on how to do this. I think it may be nothing more than arming and disarming the alarm with the remote transmitter a few times. It's been so long since I had to do this that I can't remember the exact procedure.

If all else fails, you can probably disable the system by pulling the fuse for it. Again, this may be something to have your dealer look into because it may require more than just pulling a fuse. One of the features of the alarm system is an ignition system disable feature. If you disable the system in the wrong way, you may not be able to start your vehicle.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but this should give you a couple of things to look at.
  • Options
    lynnm1lynnm1 Member Posts: 5
    I would like some honest opinions on my "deal", just bought a '02 JGC today. I really appreciate your thoughts, and want to know if I "did good".
    Sticker price-$26223
    Came down to-$24500
    Trade-in (on a '91 Honda Accord LX coupe, 169,000 mi., excellent condition)-$2500
    My final cost with 0% down, and tax-$23723.66

That's going to put my monthly payments with Chrysler at $395 for 60 mo. When I bought my Accord in '91, I financed through my bank and even then payments were $351.

Help me out, please--what's the consensus?? Thanks so much!
  • Options
    shark110shark110 Member Posts: 7
    What was the invoice on the jeep you bought? I would think that you would have been able to get under invoice. From what I can tell it seems like you did alright. As long as it has all the options you want and you feel happy--you did alright.
  • Options
    Thanks for replying-
    The base (invoice?) price is $25,865. It's a Laredo, V-6, cloth seats, and the customer preferred package 26E ($640) was added in the way of options.
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Must be a 2wd with that sticker price. I think you did fine. Decent price on the new one, and $2500 for the Honda is fair. You're only going to save a couple hundred more with serious bargaining and haggling, and frankly my times more valuable than that.
  • Options
    dlcleavdlcleav Member Posts: 40
    Am considering purchasing this JGC today. After reading the "problems" area of this forum, I'm waffling a bit. Any reasurring words out there? Thanks.
  • Options
    carman20carman20 Member Posts: 1
    Am looking at buying a '96 JGC Laredo with just over 100K miles. The asking price is $8,000. It has the 5.2L V8, leather seats, CD Player, heated mirrors, etc. Interior and exterior both look to be in good shape. Only things I had questions about are the check engine light, which the owner says comes on for no apparent reasons, and the dash lights which dimmed/brightened intermittently. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    Thank you for your input! I think I got a fair deal, also. Incidentally, I was scheduled for a master cylinder brake replacement on the Honda the following morning, and I'm thinking that saved me about $300. They knew about the MC, but wanted the car anyhow. I think I came out on the plus side, considering the MS replacement that I didn't have to deal with. They knew they had a great trade-in car.

Yes, the Jeep is a 2WD. Didn't really want anything else!
  • Options
    tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    dlcleav, go for it! You will find very few problems on the 2001 and 2002 models. In fact most 2002 owners have reported no problems at all. I have had mine a year now and it has been perfect, very very pleased! I will definitely buy another Grand Cherokee.
  • Options
    I agree with tloke1... I've had mine for only 2 months but I already love it more than the other 3 I've owned.

Most of the problems people complain about are annoyances. Overall, far fewer problems than most other SUV's. Go for it!
  • Options
    Thanks tloke1 & kkulig - I did purchase the Overland yesterday combined with the extended warranty. My Overland develops quite a "whine" coming from the rear-end at about 70mph. The dealer is going to replace the rear-end next week and apply the pro-pac finish to the inside & outside. I also purchased the cross-rails for the top and the canoe carrier. I'm looking forward to many years of Jeepin!
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    To all-

Sometimes, all is takes is "one problem vehicle" AND the "wonderful service" you receive from those "award winning 5-STAR" dealers!

kdshapiro-

Just curious- if your DC product was so reliable, why didn't you purchase another DC product to replace it? There certainly are great discounts, 0% financing and a longer, transferable warranty for these DC products.

fastdriver
  • Options
    hansm14hansm14 Member Posts: 16
    When are they replaceing the Grand Cherokee,like they did with the Cherokee?I read something about that recently.And replacing with what?
  • Options
    trainiactrainiac Member Posts: 24
    Looked at an Overland with one option missing, not sure what it is, but it's around $200. List is $39,195, sell for$35,500 with 0% at 60 months and 7 year warranty. Bright Silver must be a fairly new color, as it has the Mercedes look and appeal. Good price or not?
  • Options
    Yes, that's a fair price... and a sharp color. Can't beat the financing or warranty terms either. If you like the idea of a 4.7L HO V8, you better get one while you can as I believe it's being dropped next year.

For $200, the missing option could be the power adjustable brake/gas pedals.
  • Options
    I think you're mistaken. They aren't replacing the JGC with anything that I heard about. They're supposed to be making some minor front end cosmetic changes in 04 and a complete redesign in either 05 or 06.
  • Options
    Spent the weekend driving around in my new Inferno Red Overland. I traded in a '98 Olds Aurora. I'm very impressed with the 4.7 HO V8 compared to the baby Northstar in the Olds. Gas mileage suffers a bit compared to the Olds but I was still able to get about 20.5mpg doing the speed limit around town and the highway. I've ordered the canoe carrier which should be in this week. Can't wait to try it out!
  • Options
    Does anyone know where to purchase a cargo net for the '02 JGC Overland? It's not listed in the Jeep accessory area. Is there a 3rd party vendor I can contact? Thanks
  • Options
    trainiactrainiac Member Posts: 24
    Would you mind revealing the list and final out the door price without taxes et al? I can't seem to do any better than invoice minus $400. There's a slew of JGC's but not many Overland models. Thursday will be my last shopping day. Thanks in advance. Looking at loaded Overland only.
  • Options
    blujeepblujeep Member Posts: 44
    Go to your Jeep dealer & ask for the cargo net for a '99, '00 or '01 - I'm sure it will fit. I doubt they moved the tie-down hooks.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    blujeepblujeep Member Posts: 44
    I have a web page up featuring my '99 Laredo.

If you'd like to see JEEPO please cut and paste this in your browser:

www.cardomain.com/id/blujeep

There are lottsa pix of the mods I've done including K&N FIPK with a home-made heat cover, a J&C Bored Throttle Body, Gibson CatBack, ADDCO bar, Edelbrock IAS', Stillens, etc etc.
    Enjoy! :)
  • Options
    trainiac - list was $39,210 but some options did not reflect same pricing as on Jeep.com. The Overland was a 6,000 mile demo and the dealership discounted $2,000. Out the door price was $37,210. I think the only option missing from my Jeep is the tire pressure monitoring system. I know there were at least a dozen more Overlands here in KC last week. Good luck!
  • Options
    Yes, any factory cargo net from 99-up will fit the 02. I kept the net from my 99 when I ordered my 02. It fits just like it was meant to. Hee hee. :o)
  • Options
    jeeppejeeppe Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    I am planning to purchase a 95 JGC with 140K miles on it. I have heard the engine on this year's JGC tends to have problems when hitting the 150K miles mark. Anyone out there heard of or know of this issue? What do you think is a reasonable price for this JGC with 140K miles on it but in mint condition in and out?!
    thanks,
    jeeppe
  • Options
    cstowecstowe Member Posts: 101
    Edmunds TMV shows the "sport" model as being less expensive than the "se" model. IN the overview section on the JGC they say the sport is the se model plus leather, trip compu, heated mirrors.

Can this be correct? Why would jeep sell a vehicle with more options for less money?

I am new to the JGC so I am probably missing something ....what am I missing?
  • Options
    With new tires, brakes,transmission overhaul and 62000 miles is this worth keeping?I bought used under wholesale.I'm just wondering what's the next set of major problems.Thanks.
  • Options
    I may buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee tomorrow!!!!

It is a silver JGC Special Edition with leather. No other options other than what comes with the SE package. It is a dealer demo with 4000 miles on it. It is 2wd with the I-6 cyl. engine.

Dealer wants 25,500 the 3,000 Jeep incentive would make it 22,500.

Is this a good deal?

Please answer quick!!!!
  • Options
    I believe the MSRP on that model is $28,925, with dealer invoice being around $26,567. So it looks like the dealer is taking off $1000 for the 4000 miles, not quite enough in my opinion. It sounds like an "ok" deal but not a "great" deal. I'd offer a firm price of $24,500 before rebate and not a penny more. I don't think 2wd Jeeps with I-6's are flying out the doors. Remember also that this is the very end of the model year. If they turn your offer down, leave, and go check around at a couple other Jeep dealers to see what you can do. There are plenty of Jeeps out there. Good luck!!
  • Options
  • Options
    milsuperdocmilsuperdoc Member Posts: 29
  • Options
    gator71gator71 Member Posts: 8
    I need some advise from some of you experts. I have a 2002 JGC that seems to wonder on the road. I have 8,000 miles on it and my wife normally drives it. It seems like at speeds above 45 mph the truck wants to wonder. I told the service advisor at the dealer and the first one said that there were no alignment adjustmets and the tires needed to be balanced. The sencond service advisor yesterday said that he has never heard of a wonder problem. He said that he has only heard of jeeps pulling to the right or left. HELP!
  • Options
    And here I thought all this time that I was the only one who ever noticed this poor lateral suspension and steering control. I've had 4 of them, two with the Up-Country Suspension option and two without.

The ones without UCS (98 and 99) were notorious for wandering on the road. I really had to pay attention to my driving or else I'd quickly find myself heading somewhere I didn't want to. This was especially bad in a crosswind or when in the draft zone alongside or behind a large truck or semi. I had to really fight the steering to hold it in my lane. Just commuting to or from work could become physically tiring from having to fight the wheel so much.

The one's with the UCS (93 and 02) were considerably more stable on the road and didn't wander nearly as much. There still is a little of this characteristic, but not nearly to the extent of the non-UCS equipped ones.

Obviously, the first thing is to rule out a tire, balance or alignment problem. The next thing you can look at is the factory steering stabilizer (shock absorber tied into your steering linkage) to make sure it's funtioning and all the mounting bolts are tight. After that would be your front track bar mounts and bushings. Then the various steering and front and rear suspension components.
  • Options
    Actually, dealer invoice is 27143.

The final deal, after taxes would ammount to a discount of $1380 comparing apples to apples after taxes.

It has 4500-ish miles on it which works out to a discount of about .28 cents a mile.

Don't you think that is fair?
  • Options
    NO, I don't think it is a good deal at all. The car is USED, and it's a year old. The biggest fear I would have is knowing that the 4500 miles are probably hard miles, driven by a ton of different people, usually when the car has been sitting and the engine cold. And I bet they told you that "ONLY the sales manager drove it" or some other similar dealer-story about how well it was cared for. $1380 is a lousy discount for 4,500 miles, in my opinion. Remember what I said above, the vehicle you are looking at is NOT a popular choice and will be on the lot for awhile. Sounds to me like they are selling a USED car to you for exactly what they paid for it, they are not losing a penny (invoice less holdback is probably what they are still getting). Have you even looked anywhere else to compare?
  • Options
    I own a 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo with a mini spare and would I be better off replaceing it with a full size one?Thanks
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    NO, I don't think it is a good deal at all. The car is USED, and it's a year old.

<Pet Peeve Department!>

I agree! The vehicle was used as a demo which, in my mind, makes it the equivalent of advertising. They should be paying YOU for the use of YOUR vehicle for advertising.

Dealers routinely charge YOU for their advertising so why should you not be reimbursed when they use your vehicle for the same? Moreover, you can bet that they write off the depreciation on their tax returns.
    </Pet Peeve Department!>

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Depends on where you drive I guess. I got a rim and used full sized tire for my rig and was glad I had it on a road trip far from services. The other 3 flats I've had since '99 weren't that far from the main road and a service station. You probably could pick up a used rim and tire for less than $100.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    bmb1373bmb1373 Member Posts: 8
    You guys are just horrible people on here... I'm telling you... I was seconds away from trading in my '97 JGC for a '02 JGC, then a neighbor gets me hooked on the Trailblazer. But in hopes of still being able to hang out with you wonderful people and going back with me first instincts, I decided to stay with those lovely Jeeps....
    So, I took the day off and went to every dealer in the Chicagoland area, approximately 5. And apparently to my amazement the only '02 Jeep 4wd with E package and sunroof in the three colors I was willing to go with (I know, I know.. but the color makes the car!) is a demo with 5700 miles. The dealer offered it at $100 over invoice, minus .15 cents a mile. And since I needed a hitch and it didn't have one, he said he could put one on for $800... I was thinking, well, maybe... but after reading what you guys said... I'm so hopeless... Running out of time here. Only two weeks left on the rebate... '02 are getting fewer and fewer... Anyone out there with a Jeep dealership in the Chicago area????
  • Options
    bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    He should give you much more off than that. I would ask for at least 30 cents/mile off for depreciation.
  • Options
    fishrxmanfishrxman Member Posts: 31
    bmb1373 How far will you travel for the vehicle you want? Maybe one of the Chicago dealers can find your Jeep in Milwaukee or Racine, Wisconsin. I drove 30 miles out of the way for mine.
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Oh boy is he making up for those miles now!! The factory tow package includes a hitch, tranny cooler, wiring harnesses, and maybe more for around $400. $800 for a hitch, you might as well pay someone to tow your trailer for you.
  • Options
    oxx93oxx93 Member Posts: 67
    Did you try Carmax in Kenosha or Fields in Northfield?
  • Options
    katieonekatieone Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 grand cherokee overland with 7500 miles. The vehicle has an annoying pull to the right. So much so that you have to exert pressure to the left to stay on the road. Does anyone have information on this problem. If so, I would appreciate hearing it.
  • Options
    balkanbalkan Member Posts: 4
    hi, would appreciate your advice on my planned purchase of a 1999 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED 4X4, 6-cyl, auto, 26,000 miles, leather int., p-sunroof.

dealer is asking 19,500, thinking of offering firm 18,500.

what do you guys thinnk of my bid, and abotu the jeep as quality/performance. i understand it has no independent suspension, is this an issue?

thanks for your help!
  • Options
    jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    Your price seems reasonable based upon listed prices here in the Dallas, Texas area. I have a 98 4x4 I6 and have not had one problem in 60K miles.