Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• dt77dt77 Posts: 232
    sorry drew, but i think u gave me the url long time ago. I don't seem to have it anymore...i'm sure u still have it ...hehe =)

dt77
  • sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    It sound like your dealer is on the up and up. When they have to trade to get another vehicle or transport there is usually additional costs involved, by finally giving it to you for your price, I'd say they did right by you. Good luck and enjoy your vehicle.
  • planomlplanoml Posts: 244
    You seem to be the resident expert on the MY'02. Your last post indicated that the major exterior change would be the bumpers. If that's the case, I'm going to get the MY'01. When is the end of the model year? I'm getting impatient after reading about all the fun you guys are having. I'm assuming that this is the best time to get the old model. Any idea on what the price difference may be.
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    William:
    I'm no childseat expert, but the ones I've seen in commercials look really flimsy compared to a full-blown childseat...sorta like the Land Cruiser 3rd row "seats" compared to the ML's :-)
    I'd never expect them to be as safe. And as you know, the official MB baby seats are modified Britax's...
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    Ken:

I'd trust that if MB made them, the built-in childseats would be quite secure. The built-in boosters from Volvo are supposedly pretty good.

ctic:

Understand your concern about rear side airbags. Just out of curiousity, though, are your 2-4 year old(s) in five-point harness seats? Perhaps that might help any leaning (and even extracurricular activity).

There are a number of new-fangled chlidseats that support 5-point harnesses for older children. Fisher-Price has the Futura which goes to 60 pounds.

Sometime within a year Britax will release the "Super Elite", which will probably be frightfully expensive but provide a 5-point harness from 20 lbs to 80 lbs.

It might not stop the leaning, but it might help somewhat. Of course, a lot of kids won't appreciate it; I guess the idea is to get them accustomed to the five-point from infancy.
  • Can the rear seat airbags be de-activated by the dealer?
  • robsutsrobsuts Posts: 18
    MB is stating that the "trip computer" is not available on the ML320 Classic. That is a change from MY 2001. I can tell that the ML-320 classic, ML-500 and M55 are going to be US releases, but I cannot tell if the ML-400 is going to be available in the US. Does anyone know? Also, does anyone know when pricing was available for 2001 -- this would be a clue for the 2002 MY. Thanks in advance. - Rob
  • mlx52mlx52 Posts: 72
    Why has MB published info on the 2002 models so soon in the model year? Last year this information was not available until May or later. Is this an indication that MB will be releasing the 2002's during the summer like they did with the 2001 SLK last year?

Jamie
    Jamie:
    These are rumors so far. The official MB sales briefing for all salesmen won't take place until roughly June. Then, we'll have full feature lists, etc.

robsuts:
    The "Classic" designation is for the Canadian market.
    I got pricing info for my 2001 ML320 in October. It was reallly late. Usually the pricing is available in Sept. I'd guess at least a $1K MSRP increase.
    The ML400 can't be brought to the US. Thank the diesel industry and our politicians for not providing/forcing cleaner diesel that doesn't trash the new high-efficiency Euro engines...cleaner diesel should be available by 2009 though.
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    whatwasthat: Yes, the rear air bags can be deactivated by the dealer, but they won't.

wmquan: It's been a while since I shopped for car seats, but all mine are 3 points. 1 each at the shoulder and then 1 below the crotch. Do they sell a 5 pointer for the wife?
  • robsutsrobsuts Posts: 18
    Thanks for the pricing info. I was hoping to get a 2002 in September.
    The official MB site isn't publishing the information to the public yet. If you want the option details, write me and I will send.

Thanks for the info on the ML-320 classic.. I had no idea what that meant.
  • thor3thor3 Posts: 120
    As stated, Mercedes has not released any info. on the 2002 ML's this is why this forum is so great. It is a group of dedicated MB fanatics getting info. from various sources ahead of the main stream. All the info. posted is more than rumor but you won't get MB to talk about it yet. Consider yourself lucky for being part of this great forum and getting information way before anyone... this should help those on the fence trying to determine either to buy now or wait.

As far as your question, if you don't think you'll like the new modified bumpers and want this years look.. start looking now... as you have read already here in the forum, depending on the options you want, the 2001 models will start becoming scarce - depending on area, some faster than others.

Consider this - If you wait until Mercedes formally announces the changes for 2002, what ever inventory is left over will go at a steep discount... perhaps with a manufacturer to dealer incentive you will be able to buy below invoice. The real trade-off is that all 2001 models and older will take a good depreciation (more than normal) with new features such as front and rear climate control, air curtains,integrated fogs in bumper, turn signals in mirrors... So if you buy now get a good deal and plan on being happy with it for a few years.

I own an ML430 and want the ML55 but I wanted the front and rear climate control (travel with large dogs). I also wanted "more" for my money on a $70K SUV... that's me - everyone has their priorities. I can tell you this - if the ML55 does not have any HP enhancements (Supercharged would be awesome) I may strongly consider a fully loaded ML500 - depending on what the specs turn out to be.

Good luck
    Veryyy doubtful you'll get a 2002 by Sept. MB almost always holds up shipment to let dealers get rid of last year's inventory. If they can't do this, they ship the old inventory up to our Canuck friends. :-)
    For MY2000, first shipments didn't arrive until Dec if I remember right (info leaked about a major interior change for that model year, so all the 1999s sat on dealer lots). My MY2001 which I ordered in March was built on 9/13, but didn't get delivered until 11/10 (I was hoping for last week of Sept or first week of Oct). Hope that gives you an idea of how long it really takes to get the first ones.
    BTW, what do you mean by options? You mean you have the option codes for 2002 already? If so, please email them to me ;-)
  • dietmikedietmike Posts: 7
    Hi all!
    I am new to this board. Have been reading for some time and just bought a 2001 ML320 Sport w/M1, M2, M6, Bose. So far I really like it. The only annoying thing seems to be some slight radio reception problems. The problem sounds as if a tweeter vloume is being turned up and down ever so slightly. I'm in Dallas and it seems to affect most of the radio stations. CD is fine, just radio has the problem. Anyone else have this problem?

I got about $1000 of the list. I know others have received a bigger discount but I was wondering if anyone out there has a Sport(M6 package = same styling as AMG w/out the V8) ?

My dealer had to trade w/ an out of state dealer for the silver sport I wanted. None of the other dealers in Dallas had a sport 320.
  • atomic80atomic80 Posts: 24
    This is what my dealership had to say when I asked about the list of changes Thor3 told us about before:

Some of the things you listed are going to be on the 2002 ML55, however
    there is no body changes for 2002.There will be no rear climate control and
    as for the other changes I have no info at this time. The body changes and
    model changes will be on the 2003 vehicle and there will be a ML500 in 2003.
    You can see and read about some of the changes in the March issue of
    AUTOCAR.

Let's see what really does change for 2002.

Jason
  • thor3thor3 Posts: 120
    Jason,

I assure you your dealer is wrong regarding climate control - there will be both front and rear with independent controls. The body of the ml55 is already modified with different bumpers so you are close to accurate here. There will be Parktronic sensors in both front and rear bumpers on the ML55. Also, the headlamps will be the bi-xenon..different from what you have currently... The ML500 will also be 2002.

There will be new side mirrors with the turn signals built in...

Most differences will be seen in the regular models... they will receive the new bumper (front and rear) different from the ML55 but more similar... you will have side curtains (air bags)... my list you referred to is accurate in every way... other than what might be optional vs. standard.

2002 will be a significant change but not a new model which will follow in most likely in 2004...but who knows maybe MB will surprise us.
    Your dealer is yanking your chain or confused ;-)
    Even before Frank's info, there were rumors and spy shots. It does sound like the Sport pkg will be standard equipment. Climate control and blinkers on the side mirrors are definitely in the 2002.
  • birgerbirger Posts: 80
    Drew,

unfortunately it seems that the TV feature hasn't been included in the COMAND version we get over here. I guess some of the German tuners will offer it, at a price of course. Personally, I'm still wondering whether a reversing-aid camera could be fitted.

Sorry for the delay in answering - have been busy buying a new computer for home + 2 additional ones for our in-company video club and a friend.

Kind regards,

Birger
    I'm sitting on the fence on getting a MY01 or MY02, and the research I've done validates Thor's postings. It's in the dealer's best interest, at this point, to say that there won't be any changes to the MY02-you'll be more likly to get a MY01. My experience has been that, this group is a lot more knowledgeable than most dealers.
    Does this mean the U.S. models do? This is the first time I've heard about this. Is it an option? Can you hook a DVD and/or VCR to it? If it runs through the center screen, how does that effect the drivers concentration? We have enough trouble with cell phones-joke.
    Thanks, robsuts.
    It does answer a lot of things.
    For those of you who will wait for it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you're negotiating for a MY2002 now, I'd suggest you go for a discount $xxx under MSRP. Most dealers will honor this, but won't be able to tell you what MSRP is for a while. Be prepared to wait until late November or early December though...
  • Has anyone had a full-size spare tire for the ML, and how do you store it?
  • lennyb1lennyb1 Posts: 3
    I've been reading this page for a long time now and have not been able to get rid of the ML bug. There have been times I thought I had resolved just to get a Sequoia, RX300 or Volvo XC, even though those are not what I really want, but maybe I should go that route to have a higher assurance of reliability. (My definition of reliability is not how often does it leave me stranded, but rather how often do I have to take it back to the dealer because there are problems - big or small.)

But then I keep coming back to the fact that what I really want is an M-Class. I've never owned an MB before. For the last 23 years we've only owned Volvos and have been amazed at their durability, reliability and longevity. A year ago we gave our 84 with 220K to a friend in New York who then moved to CA and is still driving it with no problems. I still have my 86 740 with 227K and absolutely no major problems. It won't die. However, I'm moving to a mountain in northern VA that gets a fair amount of snow and so I want 4WD. The problem is the nearest dealer will be about an hour away in Tysons Corner and I've read here that their reputation is not the best. The next nearest one, recommended by posters here, is in Bethesda, Maryland, Euromotorcars. That drive could be close to an hour and a half.

I've read some who post experiences indicating that they've never really had any major problems with their ML, but lots of little ones requiring lots of trips back to the dealer. If that were to be my experience, it would really be exasperating, since it would involve a lot of time and inconvenience.

My other concern is, will I be able to get 250K out of a ML320 without major repairs as I have in both of my Volvos? Do any of you remember the Police Department in England that bought a fleet of 320s? I think it was posted about a year to a year and a half ago. It would be great to contact them and see how theirs are holding up, since theirs are surely getting high mileage and heavy duty use.

I would really appreciate any comments from owners regarding my concerns and it would be outstanding if someone knows where that post is, at least providing the town in England where that PD is.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Lenny Bianchi
  • Found an URL referencing them:

http://www.worldoffroad.com/vehicles/merc4x4.asp

Supposedly, already in use in Lancashire Constabulary.

-Jamie

• roger23roger23 Posts: 48
    I was also able to get form a friend, the 2002 ML MB info (official changes) , however, it does not mention the change to a dash mounted "smart key", versus the current metal steering column mounted key.Have you determined whether in fact the "smart key" ( infrared) will be standard on the 2002 ML's ?
    Could you email me what your friend relayed to you?
    AFAIK, the smart key will be there.
  • lennyb1lennyb1 Posts: 3
    Jamie,

Thank you very much for these links! Wow, I can't believe someone responded within 20 minutes! Cheers.

Lenny Bianchi
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    The ML is too new to know if anyone will get 250K out of it. Some of the MB sedans are rock solid and will go over 200K but they are made in das Fatherland, whereas the ML is made in Kentucky or somewhere like that where the tradition of automobile making is zero.

Even though I only live about 15 minutes away from the dealer it is a hassle to remove your valuables from the truck everytime and I try to wait until I get 2 to 3 problems or until the next FSS comes up to go.
  • haunruhhaunruh Posts: 14
    Regarding all the concerns about M-Class service, I got my son-in-law a job at my local MB dealer. I now get instant response!! And, repairs I'm not even aware of!!
    ... Harry