Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Thanks walc! :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

Don't miss the weekly MB Tuesdays chat at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern! All MB fans/enthusists/owners/potential owners are welcome to participate. Hope to see you there!

Click on the link below to enter the chat at the times above. Note that the link to the chat is always near the top of this page, just under the discussion topic title:

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/mercedeschat.html

• howvoodhowvood Posts: 19
    The following are listed on e-bay and may be of interest to forum members:

572101591 Four new 17" Dunlops
    572723239 Four 16" ML rims
    574431684 Roof top sports luggage container
  • If anyone has had experiences with car seats in the ML, both forward and rear facing, kindly share your thoughts. I'm looking for one of each kind of seat that works particularly well. Thanks.
  • wmquanwmquan Posts: 1,817
    Besides input here, check www.carseatdata.org

It's a contributed database of many owners, and you can search by model, seat type, seat position, or specific seat.
    Chris (aka whatwasthat) had a question about whether the Britax Roundabout was only forward facing. Do you know the answer to that? (I know you do, LOL; I consider you the resident child seat expert!).

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

P.S. The '02 ML will have ISOFIX/Latch anchors. I wonder if the MDX will? Did you mention that they were required by law by 2003?
  • drmhfdrmhf Posts: 29
    Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions about my dealer cancelled order. Today, the dealer called and said he found me a car with the sky view roof I wanted. He said,as someone had commented here, that the ML320 with a sky view roof was very limited in production. He said they searched the adjoining 4 states and found 2 with the sky view roof. They both had more equipment and were not my choice of color, but sometimes you can't have everything. I think the sky view top is very unusual, and is kind of like an SUV convertible. It should be fun. This one has M1,M2 bose, heated seats, and is black. He quoted me a price that was $897 over invoice, as opposed to the original deal of $371 over invoice. Anyway, within an hour he called me back and gave me the ML 320 for the same amount over invoice; $40,740. The dealer said he actually ordered the car and will have it in a few days. I hope this story is now over. Mark
    The Britax Roundabout is a convertible seat, both forward-facing and rear-facing. The Britax Advantage, which is an "enhanced" Roundabout, is also a convertible seat.

The Britax Freeway Plus and the new Britax King are forward-facing only. More info on Britax seats can be found at www.childseat.com

That's great that the 2002 ML will have ISOFIX/Latch, it's a positive step. Unlike the top tethers in the U.S. it's before the mandate by a year. Wonder if it got hastened by some of the competition (the X5 has ISOFIX/LATCH; not too sure about the 2001 RX300). Then the only thing MB could possibly do for direct child safety would be to offer built-in childseat options, but I don't think anyone expects that of an SUV (though MB could attempt innovation here; of all manufacturers they'd have the most credibility if they attempted it).

The NHTSA "final rule" says:

"The requirement for child restraints to be equipped with means for attaching to the lower anchorages will be effective September 1, 2002. NHTSA believes that the latter requirement should not be phased-in."

I've heard lots of rumors (nothing substantiated that there could/would be a delay. However, if there's not, then everyone (including the MDX) will have them starting 9/02. Whether or not the others will have them earlier, we'll have to see.
  • ddykes1ddykes1 Posts: 13
    I would love to do that BMW course some year.

Your photos brought back a rush of memories as I spent hundreds of hours in the '80's teaching motorcycle safety courses on weekends at Boundary Bay for the BC Safety Council. That weathered concrete runway is an incredibly good traction surface, even when it's wet (as it often is!)

You would be blown away by what a well-trained RCMP instructor can do with a full-size police special Impala on that 'pursuit course.' No ESP, ABS operating constantly etc. It's where I first learned that rough and aggressive isn't faster - smoother is faster! Thanks. Dave
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    I have two kids and so have used both rear and front facing ones. Don't know what kind of experiences you are looking for.

How about this?
    1) Keep an eye out on the older one because mine will get any chance to pull the pacificer out of the younger one's mouth if she is not belted tightly.
    2) Secure any 2 year old the minute they get in the vehicle otherwise they will get away and it will take 10 minutes before you can finally put them in the seat.

I find the side airbags particularly dangerous because with more than 1 kid one of them will have to sit next to the side door where an exploding air bag will kill them. Despite what other people say, you cannot train a 2-4 year old to lean away from the side door.

I also find the MB smart seats nice. I like having my kid right next to me when I drive. You can point things to them, wipe their drool and smile at them.
  • dt77dt77 Posts: 232
    sorry drew, but i think u gave me the url long time ago. I don't seem to have it anymore...i'm sure u still have it ...hehe =)

dt77
  • sshowittsshowitt Posts: 137
    It sound like your dealer is on the up and up. When they have to trade to get another vehicle or transport there is usually additional costs involved, by finally giving it to you for your price, I'd say they did right by you. Good luck and enjoy your vehicle.
  • planomlplanoml Posts: 244
    You seem to be the resident expert on the MY'02. Your last post indicated that the major exterior change would be the bumpers. If that's the case, I'm going to get the MY'01. When is the end of the model year? I'm getting impatient after reading about all the fun you guys are having. I'm assuming that this is the best time to get the old model. Any idea on what the price difference may be.
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    William:
    I'm no childseat expert, but the ones I've seen in commercials look really flimsy compared to a full-blown childseat...sorta like the Land Cruiser 3rd row "seats" compared to the ML's :-)
    I'd never expect them to be as safe. And as you know, the official MB baby seats are modified Britax's...
    Ken:

I'd trust that if MB made them, the built-in childseats would be quite secure. The built-in boosters from Volvo are supposedly pretty good.

ctic:

Understand your concern about rear side airbags. Just out of curiousity, though, are your 2-4 year old(s) in five-point harness seats? Perhaps that might help any leaning (and even extracurricular activity).

There are a number of new-fangled chlidseats that support 5-point harnesses for older children. Fisher-Price has the Futura which goes to 60 pounds.

Sometime within a year Britax will release the "Super Elite", which will probably be frightfully expensive but provide a 5-point harness from 20 lbs to 80 lbs.

It might not stop the leaning, but it might help somewhat. Of course, a lot of kids won't appreciate it; I guess the idea is to get them accustomed to the five-point from infancy.
  • Can the rear seat airbags be de-activated by the dealer?
  • robsutsrobsuts Posts: 18
    MB is stating that the "trip computer" is not available on the ML320 Classic. That is a change from MY 2001. I can tell that the ML-320 classic, ML-500 and M55 are going to be US releases, but I cannot tell if the ML-400 is going to be available in the US. Does anyone know? Also, does anyone know when pricing was available for 2001 -- this would be a clue for the 2002 MY. Thanks in advance. - Rob
  • mlx52mlx52 Posts: 72
    Why has MB published info on the 2002 models so soon in the model year? Last year this information was not available until May or later. Is this an indication that MB will be releasing the 2002's during the summer like they did with the 2001 SLK last year?

Jamie
  • kenyeekenyee Posts: 738
    Jamie:
    These are rumors so far. The official MB sales briefing for all salesmen won't take place until roughly June. Then, we'll have full feature lists, etc.

robsuts:
    The "Classic" designation is for the Canadian market.
    I got pricing info for my 2001 ML320 in October. It was reallly late. Usually the pricing is available in Sept. I'd guess at least a $1K MSRP increase.
    The ML400 can't be brought to the US. Thank the diesel industry and our politicians for not providing/forcing cleaner diesel that doesn't trash the new high-efficiency Euro engines...cleaner diesel should be available by 2009 though.
  • cticctic Posts: 291
    whatwasthat: Yes, the rear air bags can be deactivated by the dealer, but they won't.

wmquan: It's been a while since I shopped for car seats, but all mine are 3 points. 1 each at the shoulder and then 1 below the crotch. Do they sell a 5 pointer for the wife?