Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    ran111ran111 Member Posts: 9
    I also have ordered the H7 Vision Plus bulbs from Fosmo and was pleased with their quick delivery (6 days). I have since ordered the H1 Vision Plus for the high beams. Both the H1 and H7 are sold in pairs. Fosmo does not charge any sales tax or shipping charges and their prices seem very reasonable. Can Vision Plus H3's be next?
  • Options
    gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Thanks for the info, i'll be ordering the H7's today.
  • Options
    tnkenyontnkenyon Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have side bars or steps on their ML - saw some listed at Bekkers for a reasonable price. Any suggestions as to best type and source would be appreciated - also, anyone know if they are simple bolt-on, or is drilling required. Thanks!
  • Options
    londonfinlondonfin Member Posts: 31
    How'd you get such a good deal and where did you get it?

Thanks, Jack
  • Options
    biker5biker5 Member Posts: 199
    tnkenyon,

If you are a back yard mechanic type a guy it should have no problem to installed it,and if you have a lot of tools in your garage because you are going to use an off the wall size of wrenches that the normal guy don't have in their garage.You need a 15/16 SAE and a big adjustable wrench. I did mine in three hours.. by myself. Also you gonna need a scissor jack as your helper since I'm the only guy in the family so thats the best helper I can get.Another thing if you have a Mud/splash Guard you need to remove the bottom bolt holding the front mud guard because it gonna be on your way ,by removing that bolt you can adjust the side bar easy. The instruction tells you everything...just read it over a couple of times and your're on it. I'm happy doing it by myself and the bottom line is I save a bunch on labor charge....Let me know if you decided to do it your self, I'll try to help you out.
  • Options
    Flag test
  • Options
    kenyeekenyee Member Posts: 738
    AFAIK, it's impossible unless you want to give up one of your keys (they rip it apart and attach the transponder inside). It weakens the security since a thief can get your car started much more easily...
  • Options
    My local dealer will take $1,000 off the MSRP of either the 320/430. I went through Costco's auto service and got connected to a dealer a few states away (the closest to me). They will sell me either vehicle at invoice and deliver it to my home free. Any ideas on what seems too good to pass up? What do I give up in regards to good local dealer relations for service issues??

Thanks in advance,
    Jack
  • Options
    nikorrnikorr Member Posts: 23
    3 weeks ago I asked about remote car starter at one company what tinted my car window and they said they did instal one time before on ML and DX 300 . You just need instal from dealer bypass That is you dot need loose your key.... And my trip was OK. will get slides on monday.Then I have to take a look how to post some of them... (:-) Marcel P.S. BTW ,My flag sign is not correct . :)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You'll have to change your profile to get the Czech Republic flag to show up.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    dt77dt77 Member Posts: 232
    I'm really looking forward to hearing how they

compare to the stock bulbs...so feel free to post ! =)

dt77

http://fullspeed.to/ml

• Options
    ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    Does this sounds right to you guys? And the dealer refused to rotate the tire! It is MB recommendation at least 20,000 miles!?
  • Options
    what do they do to your ML? do they replaced anything? why is so much? tell us. i'm getting close sked B.
  • Options
    itsuiitsui Member Posts: 15
    I found that dealer on internet. The dealer is at Laguna Niguel, CA. If you like to know more about it. I can give you the sale person's e-mail address.
  • Options
    Thanks, but too far away. Delivery would cost too much.
  • Options
    matthiaspmatthiasp Member Posts: 3
    I was just told by MB that there was no way to watch TV via the COMAND system in a M-class car. Anybody have a comment to this? Any recommendations how to overcome these factory limitations?
    Thanks, Mat
  • Options
    sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    Very pleased with the increase in light spread and intensity as well as dealing with Fosmo. I have bought 3 pairs of H-7 Vision Plus bulbs, high and low beams of my clk; low beam of my ML and H-1 Premiums (no vision plus were available last month errrgh) for the high beams of the ML.
    The ordeers took less than a week and any e-mail to john at fosmo was returned quite promptly
  • Options
    arizonansarizonans Member Posts: 2
    Looking for best deals on the 2001 ML320. Have been shopping online but have yet to find what we're looking for. Any leads, tips, etc. will be most appreciated!

ALSO ... would appreciate driver feedback, positive or negative.

Thank you!

JS6989@aol.com
  • Options
    arizonansarizonans Member Posts: 2
    Hello!

Just read your post and would LOVE to know where you purchased your 2001 ML320 for $100 over invoice.

Please e-mail me at JS6989@aol.com.

Thank you for your time!
  • Options
    wats the color out put like ?
    whiter ? same ?

dt77
  • Options
    rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    For anyone that has the Xenon retrofit like mine,

I was playing with the motors again tonight, and the movement of the lights is amazing WRT the distance it moves. The really nice feature is if there is fog, we can aim the lamps all the way down so it aims at the very front of the ML. And if someone has their higbeams on , we can choose to aim our headlamps up, and if they still wont change their headlamps, then we can blast them with the actual highbeams.

One problem that is posed is the speed that the motors are moving at, I had a bit of a problem aiming the lamps after playing with them a bit. It works with the 12 V, but I'm not sure if I should lower the voltage with a resistor to slow the motor down. Can Anyone help?

Also, I am going to use a DPDT switch to control the headlamp movement up and down. Omar suggested to me in an email that the motor may burnout if there is too little torque on the motor by under voltage or if the motor gets stuck. So to remedy this, I am going to install a kill switch AND a relay so the motors will only work when the headlamps are on, this will prevent any power going to the motors. I will place the switchs in a small black box, and mount under the middle console so they cant be seen but still accessed. I dont use this little cubby hole anyway and my ash tray is filled up with the V1 Remote Audio control.

I'm currently working on the city lamps as well, as I plan to get rid of the side (corner) markers and replace them with the city lights that are situated in the highbeam compartment.

I know I havent had much time to email people back (work beckons) but if you have any suggestions, advice or tips please email me or post here.

I hope to get my web page revamped, but I have a feeling that that wont happen till the summer because of my CFA test. But I'll keep pleanty of notes and pictures so when I do I'll be able to share.

Robert
    amg@exconde.com
  • Options
    so wait, yer not going to have the sensors do the autoleveling ?

dt77
  • Options
    I have some updates on my my site - Some new pics.some optilux comparisons with stock h7s
    a specs section and a guestbook

dt77
  • Options
    neilg432neilg432 Member Posts: 5
    I have read all the post and thank you for the wealth of information. I've been quoted two prices.

ML 320 W/m1, m2, heated seats, bose sun roof and nav system. 42K

ML 430 w/bose, sun roof & m3. 46K

According to Edmunds they both appear to be fair deals. I'm interested in the wooden steering wheel, price $800.00. Does any have price info on the MCS integrated telephone.

Any feedback will be appreciated
    Thanks
  • Options
    rexconde1rexconde1 Member Posts: 278
    I'm haveing a real tough time findng the parts for the auto level. I'm fairly sure that it is the same as in teh E-class, which I can easily get but I dont want to buy it if I dont know that it will work. '

I'm not sure how much it is worth it to install the sensor, I'd like too, but it may be more trouble than it is worth. The dealer doesnt even have part numbers for the Auto level sensors for the ML

PUMA accessories does have the Autolevel for the E-class but I'm not sure it will fit. I'm worried that they changed it fr the ML. Even the sunroof motor for betweent he two cars are different. The E-class motor moves much faster than that of the ML.

I was thinking about installing the headlamp washer system from the BMW since it may be easier because of the flush mount, rather than having something pop out of the bumper.

Robert
    amg@exconde.com
  • Options
    Thanks all for the good info. I'm getting close to buying my 320 and was debating whether or not to get the Xenon headlamps. They seem like a lot of money and did not know if they offered that big a difference in vision.

Also, has anyone found a phone that will work with the MCS system without spending over $1,200?

Thanks again, Jack
  • Options
    ran111ran111 Member Posts: 9
    To my eye there doesn't seem to be a great difference in the color of the VP H-7's as opposed to the stock bulbs. If you are looking to achieve a blue-white Xenon look you will be disappointed. What I did notice about the VP's was a more even distribution of light, with no holes or dark spots, and an increase in the lighted field of vision. They are a definite upgrade from the stock bulbs. On Friday I received the VP H-1's from Fosmo but have not had a chance to install them.
  • Options
    Drove at night w/ them yesterday and it is definitely brighter (I only installed the passenger side). However, there seems to be a sharp cutoff roughly 30ft away and then a notch at around 20 ft on the right side of the light.
  • Options
    drmhfdrmhf Member Posts: 29
    I thought I purchased a 2001 ML320 a few weeks ago. It had sky view roof, M1, heated seats,Alpine in dash CD. (With the Bose, you have to pre load 6 CDs in the cargo area, which is ridiculous, when you have kids who want to keep switching Cds.)
    Anyway, I signed a contract and put down a $1000 deposit. The other day I got a call from the dealer saying that Mercedes basically stopped building 2001's, and was just selling off their inventory. He was looking to trade with another dealer, but couldn't find one properly equiped. They all have both M1 & M2, Bose and no sky view roof. The deal original was for $371 over invoice, but now no car. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Options
    sshowittsshowitt Member Posts: 137
    The skyroof probably was probably limited prodution, when did he say the 2002s would be produced? Can you wait for a 2002? If not, is the skyroof a necessity? You have to weigh those options. Is he the only dealer around? It sounds like he offered you a good deal. Call 1800formercedes (MBUSA) and see if what he told you was true. Right now I think that there is a glut of 2001 MLs on dealers lots. Naturally, they would perfer to sell something off the lot then having to order something. See if he can do any better on the deal or offer you something for your trouble, maybe give you one with a sport package at a deep discount. We are coming to the end of the month and they want to move product!!!!
  • Options
    tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Mark,

Sorry to hear about all the mess.

Could it be that your dealer got cold feet and wants out of the contract?

I guess you can judge his honesty by looking at what kind of remedy they offer. If they want to sell you another vehicle for more $ over invoice, you are being taken, if they honestly try to locate another car (but how would you ever know?), they seem to be serious about correcting the problem.

Why don't you pick three or four dealers in the closer vicinity and ask for just the truck you had specified? If there is one, your initial dealer has a way out...

As to legal leverage, I could imagine that the signed contract puts them on the spot.

Tarik
  • Options
    drew, so you have any clue if the silvervisions will fit ?
    dt77
  • Options
    rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Try MB web site and search all MB dealer's inventory by state or nation for the vehicle you desire.
    Although not always up to date you will at least be able to start a more thorough search than a dealer may be willing to do for $371.
    Follow that with direct contact to dealer and try to find a match to your deal.
    Always negotiate via ax offer including taxing your order contract to the dealer chosen.
    You can conclude this transaction over the phone with a credit card deposit.
    Then get on a plane and pick up your MB ML.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    shadow1011shadow1011 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on my '00 ML320. The response from my MB service was the same as what you got. I wasn't very satisfied with that either.
  • Options
    shadow1011:
    Mine does this occasionally as well. The right side one has no problems.
    I adjust mine by leaning my head against the window and adjusting it so I can just see the side of the ML. This position is a bit unusual, so I'm wondering if this has something to do with it.
  • Options
    rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Try MB web site and search all MB dealer's inventory by state or nation for the vehicle you desire.
    Although not always up to date you will at least be able to start a more thorough search than a dealer may be willing to do for $371.
    Follow that with direct contact to dealer and try to find a match to your deal.
    Always negotiate via ax offer including taxing your order contract to the dealer chosen.
    You can conclude this transaction over the phone with a credit card deposit.
    Then get on a plane and pick up your MB ML.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    macbestmacbest Member Posts: 55
    I can't seem to locate where on MB's website it allows you to see what each dealer has in inventory. This would be a great feature. The site does have the listing of dealers, but each of these links only contain lists of preowned cars. Is there a way to see what inventory they have of new cars? This would really help the consumer in striking a deal to a dealer that already has the car on the lot.
  • Options
    robsutsrobsuts Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know when 2002 pricing comes out? Is the 320 getting a Hp upgrade?
  • Options
    elvis00elvis00 Member Posts: 3
    I've posted this to the m-class mailing list so I apologize for anyone who has to read it twice - I'm just looking for more input!

I've been a regular reader of these messages and have kept up for the past couple months reading about the variations in 98-99/00/01 phone setups and thought I had it all figured out until I opened up my ML and was pretty confused. I'd appreciate any help anyone could do to shed some light on my situation.

My car is a 03/00 build '00 ML320, M1 + Bose. No Nav or Startac installed. I currently have an Ericsson T28 with Cingular wireless and want to install the HCA-10 handsfree car kit. I have installed the '00/'01 GPS/Cell antenna on the roof.

Since mine's a '00, I thought I should have a splitter behind the MCS with a connector (as per Omar's message #1675 in Edmunds' M-Class forum) and was planning to tap into it to feed the antenna.

Today I removed the MCS and lo and behold - no splitter. I found the antenna wire plugged into the MCS and traced it down to the floor. I also found a male RJ45 connector that seemed to be associtated with the antenna. I took the console apart and found what appears to be the elusive SAP connector for the phone (serrated edge, about 1 cm in diameter, male) along with a female RJ45 plug. In reading Omar's post regarding his '99ML (http://www.escribe.com/automotive/european/mbmc/m8171.html) this seems like a '99 setup to me.

My questions are:
    1) Is this the cell antenna from the roof I found in the glovebox? If so, can I directly tap into it with my Ericsson kit to receive the signal or do I need a splitter to separate the GPS frequency from the cell inside the console? I'm not worried about the Nav system at the moment.

2) Are my impressions of a '00ML correct in that I *should* have a splitter behind the MCS. I looked everywhere but couldn't find it. From the previous posts it sounds like it should be pretty obvious.

3) What is the RJ45 connector for? I'm assuming it's the data cable for the Startac to the MCS.

4) If I need the splitter, anyone know how much it is? Wolfgang quoted $400 but I'm a little unclear on his quote (http://www.whnet.com/4x4/phone-install.html)

Many thanks in advance.

Alan
  • Options
    thor3thor3 Member Posts: 120
    * Front and Rear Climate control
    * Side air curtains
    * Front and Rear Parktronic
    * BiXenon lights with Washers - Fogs in bumper
    * 83 Liter (22 Gallon) Fuel tank 93 Liter (25 Gallon) on ML55.
    * New center console with dual storage compartments
    * ESP - Electronic Brake Proportioning
    * SMART key
    * ALS - Automatic Lighting System - turns lights on in tunnels - and when wipers are on.
    * Auto up and down windows
    * Side view mirror adjusts down when going in reverse.

* ML500

* More Chrome trim (Chrome Grill, exterior handle accents)

* New front rear bumpers
  • Options
    Where did you get this feature list?
    I have a hard time believing they added the next gen ESP system. Also, where did they get the space to boost the gas tank size?
    It sounds like the Sport pkg is standard.
  • Options
    It is not ESP it should have read EBP - Electronic Brake Proportioning... senses load of vehicle and proportions front rear brake bias accordingly...

Sorry!

The SPELL CHECK FEATURE CHANGED THE SPELLING FROM EBP TO ESP
  • Options
    Don't know if all the features are standard but will all be available if not standard...I don't think the Bi-Xenons will be standard because optional "washers" was mentioned...which would infer optional Xenons.
  • Options
    2002 ML's have the integrated side view mirror turn signals we thought they would.
  • Options
    Voice activated MCS control - definately an option
  • Options
    ometofuometofu Member Posts: 53
    More Chrome trim (Chrome Grill, exterior handle accents) on 02ML?? Drew, can you dig more details ...
  • Options
    how is this different from the 2000 models with

"Electronic Brake Force Distribution : Standard Electronic Brake Force Distribution shifts additional brake force to the rear wheels in straight-line braking, to promote more even brake-pad wear. For stability in curves, a normal front/rear split is restored"

dt77
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Well, I can tell you that the top half of the door handles will be chromed, as will the trunk lid handle (like what you have right now). The chrome grill is probably still very similar to what we have on the ML55s right now.
  • Options
    Electronic Brake Proportioning senses if the rear wheel brakes are applied in proper proportion to the front brakes and adjusts them accordingly. It is supposed to ensure proper braking for varying vehicle load and maneuvering conditions. Basically I think it simply builds on EBD.

BTW, yes, looks like the Silvervision bulbs will work, IIRC. Verify this in your owner's manual...it's definitely in there.
  • Options
    No, the ML320's 3.2L V6 will still be at 215 horses. It's actually more than adequate for most conditions, and for most people, and partly why the ML320 is sold in much greater quantity than the ML430.