Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Tucson Prices Paid and Buying Experience

123457»

Comments

• Options
    truckie4lifetruckie4life Member Posts: 56
    Whoops, was trying to tell you above that I only qualify for the $500 incentive/rebate.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2016
    Well, either way, but since you're an educated shopper they'll know that you are aware of the $500 incentive. So I'd just go with $25,500 and mention that you are including the incentive.

And you know about figuring out your local taxes to get an out the door price. Usually just negotiating that number cuts to the chase, and you avoid the situation of getting a good selling price and then learning that the dealer adds in a $499 doc fee.

And hey, you're saving so much money, surprise the missus and revisit the Limited. Another $2,000 is nothing spread out over ten years. B)
  • Options
    @stever You're a solid dude! We will see what I can come up with. Let's just say I went the Limited AWD Ultimate Package route. What would you offer? My state tax rate is 3% and I will pay whatever stupid doc fee out of my pocket (not financing that).
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    lol, don't mind me trying to upsell you to the Limited. Maybe I need to go into car sales. Sure is fun spending other people's money. :) I do like the idea of all the bells and whistles and the Tucson has them in spades, even on the base trims.

Invoice on the Limited Ultimate is $33,078. Let's say you aim for $30,000 selling price and add in 3%, that's about $31,000 OTD. Your Sport OTD was around $26k + 3% or $26,800. Okay, a $3,000 upsell - that's an extra $25 a month every month for ten years.

All this assumes you actually find a good dealer willing to go that much below invoice.

Oh, and if you negotiate a good OTD price you won't care what the dealer charges for a doc fee.
  • Options
    Is that the limited ultimate AWD invoice or FWD? I definitely want AWD.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    That was the AWD flavor. Here's the link.

(and yeah, it's always good to check my math)
  • Options
    @stever You should go into sales though, you'd be great!
  • Options
    Yeah, I'd convince everyone they don't need a car at all. :D
  • Options
    @stever Here is where they are on a Sport AWD.

29,130 MSRP
    - 1,723 discount
    - 1000 rebate

26,407 adjusted price

+499 "Total Protection"

26,906 TOTAL PURCHASE

649 doc fee
    856.65 tax
    144 title and registration

28,555.65 OTD
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Hm, the other day we figured invoice is $27,206 so the selling price of $26,407 is okay - $800 below invoice.

$499 protection plus $649 doc equals $1,148 in bogus fees.

$28,555 minus $1,148 is $27,407. I think that would be a good target, then come up to $27,500 +/- to give the dealer a little profit. They actually don't make all that much on new car sales and they have to eat too. But they can eat at Denny's and save Ruth's Chris's for special occasions.

This would be a good time to shop the quote around if you have some other dealers near enough to contact.
  • Options
    So you would go $27,500 OTD?
  • Options
    That would be my target.

Not sure if it's doable but the Honda dealers in your area are very aggressive. Might mention that to your dealer - weren't you tire-kicking CR-Vs at one point anyway?

And remember to tell them you are ready to buy today.
  • Options
    Hey @stever, this is where he is on a Tucson Ultimate AWD. I am dealing directly with the general manager.  He called me and told me this is his best he can do and he believes in being transparent so that's why the price he gave me did not include any rebates, which I actually respect because every other dealer has included every rebate possible and then they inflate the price when you get to the dealership when you tell them you don't qualify for those rebates.

2016 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD Ultimate Package

MSRP :     $35475

Sale:        $32117 (Plus tax, Tags and doc fees)

NC Tax:    $   982

NC Tags:  $     88

Doc Fee:   $   601

Subtotal:  $33788

Total after $500 rebate is $33,288

I asked about going 31,000 out the door and he called me and said there is no way he can do it. What should I counter?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Two options I guess.

Do nothing and let the manager sweat over it tonight.

It's a nice ride and your wife will love you. Ask him to eat the doc fee split the difference and you'll write the check.

Looks like you're $2,100 apart so half would put you around $32, 050. I dunno, you already are below invoice with your out the door quote. The dealer may write you off and focus on closing out the month tomorrow. But it doesn't cost anything to ask. If that happens, you can bump your offer up a bit more tomorrow.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Whats your opinion on his price?
  • Options
    His OTD price is ~$200 over invoice.

It's already a good price. You're killing him. :)
  • Options
    @Stever....here is where we are, pull the trigger or wait?

- 31,500 sale price
    - 88.00 DMV
    - 601.00 Doc fee
    - 963.03 Taxes

- 33,152 subtotal
    - 500 rebate

-32,652.03 OTD
    652.03 deposit (because I have a slight case of OCD and like even numbers)

-32,000 financed......

GOOD DEAL????
  • Options
    Me? I'd go for it.

Life is short, and the Tucson has a great bang for buck ratio. Enjoy yourself!
  • Options
    10-4!!!!
  • Options
    @Stever...... Here is the final due on the color that we want it's a little bit higher than before, what do you think? 

35630 MSRP

31841.05 sale price

599 doc
    77 tags
    973.20 tax

- 500 rebate
    - 500 depoait

32,500 financed

PICK UP TODAY
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Hey, it's a nice round number. :)

You want to enjoy seeing this rig parked in your driveway all the time and that makes the "extra" paint color worth it. I always want "blizzard pearl" white or a "special" blue, and every time I go for that on a car I'm researching (whether Honda, Kia, Chevy, whatever), it's always another $400 or more.

The color is a biggie so don't cheap out on that.

It's common for pricing to creep up like this when you decide to pull the trigger. Bottom line is that if you've stretched your budget by, say, $1,000, over a 5 year loan, that's $20 a month to love the color and the fancy stereo or whatever. You may have buyer's remorse for a day or two next week, but if you settle, you'll be kicking yourself every day for years. You know the ins and outs - at this point go with your gut.

(yeah, maybe I do need to go into sales. When I do, I'll be sure to round every deal up to an even number to pay my take-home. B) )
  • Options
    am I getting a decent deal?
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    And a great ride.
  • Options
    So we bought it, got the color we wanted, and love it.
  • Options
    Very cool. Enjoy!
  • Options
    tom911tom911 Member Posts: 63
    Good info here - thanks.
  • Options
    ketanvijayketanvijay Member Posts: 1
    Hey

Have been reading your advice for a long time and today time comes when I am ready to buy

I am looking for 2016 Hyundai Tucson and sport for pa registration 6% tax

For wad sport model , MSRP 29500 which is manipulated I guess. Dealer has offered the same for 25500 out of door. With 2017 already out and this car being 2016.

Is this a good price
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Invoice for the Sport is $27,206. Right now there's a $1,750 incentive making the True Market Value average price paid for Philly is $25,557.

I get a different MSRP for some reason (options?). That TMV above is based on an MSRP of $28,445. So if the $29,500 number is manipulated in a way that you like, then you'll need to bump TMV up a thousand bucks.

Since your offer is OTD and is already at the average, I think you are doing good.
  • Options
    obrien040362obrien040362 Member Posts: 134
    Sign up with Uber and save an additional $1000. Correct me if I am wrong, Uber is free and you can cancel anytime. So why not sign up and cancel.