Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Future Models II

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I expect the US-spec Crosstrek to debut at the NY auto show, not Detroit, and go on sale in late summer or early fall.

At Detroit the US-spec BRZ will debut, and SOA will want all the focus on that car.

Bob
  • Options
    I expect Subaru to show something new roughly every 6 months.

New models to come: WRX/WRX STI, Forester, Hybrid, Legacy/Outback, BRZ STI and Tribeca. Not sure which will come first, or what the order of debuts will be, but I do expect the Tribeca to be last as it's the least important model in their lineup.

Bob
  • Options
    bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    The NY show isn't too much trouble, provided I can haul my tail down to NYC. I'm in the Mid-hudson. My company isn't exhibiting there, though, so I'll probably have to pay to get in...and for the train.

Might just do that this year, haven't gone in a while. When you work trade shows, sometimes they're not quite as fun to attend. :shades:
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Forester traditionally shows up at the NY show, but given we've seen and heard nothing, I'm betting it won't be this year.

My fearless forecast:

NY 2012 - WRX and STI
    SEMA 2012 - BRZ STI
    LA 2012 - Hybrid
    NY 2013 - New Forester

Outback and Legacy are quite a ways off, maybe a show in 2014?

I don't think they will do another Tribeca.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    New forester not until the 2013 New York show? I remember a couple years ago they said they were going to 4-year model cycles (which they held to for the Impreza), so I would expect a new Forester for MY13, and then the Legacy/Outback for MY14. Is that not still the plan?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Unless the XV is the new "Forester."
  • Options
    No, it's not. There will be a new Forester. Just when, I'm not sure?

Bob
  • Options
    Thought I read somewhere that the next Forester would actually use the Tribeca platform, so I could see the XV taking over the "small" SUV spot. Assuming that's accurate of course.
  • Options
    Highly unlikely. The Forester has developed a strong audience, being the kind of vehicle it is, so I don't think that FHI will risk that by changing so dramatically.

The "rumor" I heard is that the next Tribeca and the next Toyota Highlander may be co-developed. We'll see.

Bob
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I know most of us wonder why Subaru is keeping this vehicle in the market, as it sells so poorly. Here's my take:

• Subaru sells the Tribeca overseas, and in most markets in which Subarus are sold. That's a lot of countries. I've also been told that Subaru sells more Tribecas in Russia than they do here. So the overseas sales offers some justification for keeping it around. BTW, all those overseas sales are US exports, as the Tribeca is only made in Indiana. So, as small as that may be, it's still good news for the American economy.

• Subaru needs a 7-passenger vehicle in their American lineup. Even though sales are marginal, it's better to offer the Tribeca than not to offer it.

• The Toyota Highlander rumor makes sense—if they can maintain Subaru's unique engineering. I'm hoping that from from the A-pillar forward, it will be pure Subaru, meaning using the 6-cylinder boxer engine, and that the Highlander (from the A pillar forward) will be pure Toyota (using their V6).

If this happens, I expect it around MY 2014.

Bob
  • Options
    http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/10/4176459/subaru-selects-aha-to-deliver.html

Sounds like Subaru an smartphones and cars are finally coming of age. Right not this is only iPhone-friendly, but other systems (droid, etc.) on the way.

Bob
  • Options
    New forester not until the 2013 New York show?

Just a gut feeling I have.

The current model is still selling well, and the tsunami set them back about 6 months.

Unless they break from the tradition of launching the Forester at NY (98, 03, 09), I don't see how they can make that deadline.
  • Options
    In related news, the only song the stereo will play is....

Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake, oooooooooooooon, MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
  • Options
    G-R-O-A-N

I jest, AJ. In reality, I managed a good chuckle from that comment. :)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    The tech needs a better name.

Of course given the big name brands that signed up, maybe not?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Also, all-new Forester due next January in Australia.

This is great news, and opens up all sorts of other CVT possibilities.

http://m.canberratimes.com.au/drive/motor-news/subaru-diesels-to-get-automatic-t- - ransmission-20120227-1txa5.html

Bob
  • Options
    While it's fine for the Outback, I don't like that news in general because if "that's the future direction for [Subaru]," according to the article, then they may be inclined to jump on the phase-out-the-manual-transmission bandwagon. That just makes me sad. :cry:
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    No question in my mind that manuals are going the way of the dinosaur—and not just with Subaru. It's just a matter of time before most Subarus lose that third pedal. Other than for some (and the list is getting smaller every day) performance cars and bottom-feeder econo-cars, manuals are almost nonexistent.

To hammer home this point, I recently read that only about 1/3 of new Porsche 911s sold are equipped with manuals. Now that should tell you something. Their PDK just flat out out-perfoms their stick-shift cars.

So why a CVT vs all the other type of auto-type boxes? Gas mileage, pure and simple. CVTs get better mpg numbers, and with the ever-tightening EPA regulations, more and more automakers are going that route.

Bob
  • Options
    colin_lcolin_l Member Posts: 591
    Couldn't agree more with this post. On the exotic front, Ferrari was a very early adopter of sequential computer-controlled 'manumatics' and now they sell only one car with a manual, the California.

I think it's going to be a variety of automatics in the future with manuals becoming very niche if not extinct in 10 years or less.
  • Options
    I do hope Subaru has a DSG in the works for the WRX, STI and other performance-oriented models, and keep the CVT for their more mainstream models.

This new "high-capacity" CVT has me really curious though. Wonder how much power it's engineered to handle? I hope it's a lot.

Bob
  • Options
    I wonder, though...diesel fans tend to be old school, they may prefer the manual. I hope that's offered here.

Basically I think CVT fans and diesel fans are mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    rblnrrblnr Member Posts: 124
    just rated Subaru the best auto manufacturer and the Impreza best small sedan. Good news.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    May add a 2-door model? Debating as to whether to stay "raw" or move these cars to a more Euro-like (refined and more upscale) direction. If they go for the latter, the STI could become a legit M-Car/AMG competitor.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/subaru-to-decide-wrxs-fate-in-the-very-near-future.h- - tml

Bob
  • Options
    The BRZ can cater to those folks, so I would not be surprised to see it move a little upscale.

Then a 2l turbo is going to be high strung, so maybe not. They would have to go H6+turbo to fight up in that territory.
  • Options
    Ah, here's a perfect halo (performance) car direction for the BRZ:

2+2 coupe, 2,500# or less, RWD H6 Turbo @ 350HP. :shades:
  • Options
    I disagree. If you look at the HD truck market with diesels, there are very few manuals sold anymore. It *used* to be utterly dominated with manuals and they still sell far more manuals than with any other truck type, but ever since the ~2000s when decently reliable automatics were finally offered the automatics are the major player.

I also think VW sells quite a lot of DSG in their diesel cars and suvs.
  • Options
    Have you seen the BRZ yet? Trust me, 2+2 is being VERY generous on the second "2." Makes a Mustang look roomy in the back. 2+2 would be an EXPANSION of back seat room. :shades:
  • Options
    I'm not sure how adding 2 cylinders and a turbo are going to remove about 200 pounds.

Even if they add lightness and go with aluminum body panels, it's already a light car, they'll get diminishing returns.
  • Options
    Auto or DSG, sure, but CVT?

There is a resistance to CVTs from the crowd that likes diesels.
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Ram is the only HD pickup still offering a manual transmission, and it may not last too much longer as it's a holdover from Daimler. Chrysler was supposed to have made a heavy duty automated manual 7-speed with Getrag to replace it, but that joint venture died 4 years ago. They may look to ZF or Eaton for such a tranny going forward, as both those suppliers already make medium/heavy (class 6-8) automated manuals.

The fear with a CVT in such an application is likely the amount of torque at low rpm. Ford and Ram diesels are currently generating 800 lb-ft at 2000/1600 rpm respectively through 6-speed automatics... the guy pulling a livestock or RV trailer doesn't want to find out a CVT may give out while climbing a 7% grade at highway speed and max GCW. Once the heavy rigs do it, then it will move down through the weight classes.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • Options
    Yeah, it is essentially impossible to find an MT pickup truck in the modern fleets. Oh well, at least I have my '69 Chevy! :shades:
  • Options
    Should be pretty easy - take out the Toyota bloat and boom, you're there. :P

And no, I haven't seen the BRZ in person, but I also have never seen a 2+2 that had a rear seat that came anywhere near what could be considered comfortable. That said, at least there's an option for an additional occupant or two when needed.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Bob, Frank, and I sat inside a BRZ at the DC Auto Show.

Front seats is comfy, love the steering wheel, plenty of leg and head room up front.

I didn't even try the back seat. You could put a briefcase or a few small grocery bags there, but not much else.

Kids? Maybe 7 and under...if you slide the front seats way forward.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Ah, yes, that elicits fond memories of when my parents first married in 1980. My step-mother had a 1977 Nissan/Datsun 300ZX or whatever those things were called, and there were three children between the two of them. That was pretty cramped, but then we didn't have child seats back then, so we could squeeze into fairly tight spaces!

We all went to Disneyland for their "honeymoon," and I seem to remember the ZX disappearing very soon after we arrived home... replaced by a 1980 Subaru GL wagon. I guess sixteen hours (or however long it took to drive there from Pendleton, Oregon) each way listening to three children killing each other in the back seat, and yelling "scoot over!" endlessly, was a little too much for their nerves. :P

She sure was sad to see it go, though.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I wouldn't even put small kids in the back seat of a BRZ, as they will likely require a child- or booster-seat of some sort. For all intents and purposed, the rear seat is useless for humans.

The space will likely be put to good use when the convertible version shows up, as that's where the folded top will go.

Bob
  • Options
    For all intents and purposes, the rear seat is useless for humans.

I was curious, so I hunted for a photo. For some reason, the rear seat doesn't seem to be the focus of many shots (note sarcasm). However, I did find this one:

http://www.zercustoms.com/photos/Subaru-BRZ/Subaru-BRZ-9.jpg.html

You were not kidding! Dang that's tight (in a literal sense). But, thinking back on it, I don't recall ever being in a sporty couple where the back seat wasn't tight light that. You just wedge a leg on either side of the front seatback, and hunker down for the long haul. ;)
  • Options
    first I've seen of the BRZ rear seat.

we call those 'insurance' seats.
  • Options
    Parcel shelf.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Exactly. They're just there to keep the insurance rates down; same with the rear seats in a 911 (and about as usable).

Here's another image:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1111_2011_tokyo_motor_show_subaru_brz- - - _first_look/photo_07.html

One plus, when folded, you could probably hide some small valuables thanks to the two deep seat pockets. Too bad it's not a split fold, though.

Bob
  • Options
    One advantage over a pure 2 seater (like my Miata) is that you could slide the front seat all the way up and still take a kid in a booster seat back there.

So in jurisdictions were a child cannot ride in the front seat, you can still transport one child.

That used to be an issue for me.
  • Options
    That is actually true. A really small kid in a rear-facing seat doesn't need legroom, either.
  • Options
    I guess the Miata seats 2 adults, while the BRZ can seat 2 adults or 1 adult and 1 child.

So it is a bit more flexible in that way.
  • Options
    gmginsfogmginsfo Member Posts: 116
    Agree 100%. I never thought I'd use the paddles on my 2010 Outback CVT, but I use them all the time for slowing and down hills. If only they were paired with a bigger 4 or the H-6!

I've noticed going up hills is that I can drop RPMs - and add MPG - by engaging cruise control. And, unlike many CCs, Subaru's does a great job of holding speed on long uphill runs.
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    2+2= (USUALLY) lower insuance $$ but in some cases, the added bulk of a car seat doesn't work well back there. In some juristictions (mine included) it is illegal for kids to ride in the front seat unless there is no back seat. I'm sure a Lotus Elise was not the inspiration for this exception, but it is there. REMEMBER, that's why cowboy hats turm up at the sides......so you can sit four wide in a pick-up.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hahah; that's darn funny. I hadn't heard that before. Where I grew up, it was proper etiquette to remove your (cowboy) hat indoors and in vehicles, so there was never room for more than two across in a pickup. Everyone else had to ride in the back! The expression "hold on to your hats" was born here.... :P

Personally, I don't care much about where a government body tells me my children can ride. I make those decisions for myself and my family.
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    mentioned today at my Subie dealer, 1000 units for 2012 and they only get two of them. Both are pre-sold.

Looks like I may get a chance to save up some Subaru bucks, after all...

John
  • Options
    edited March 2012
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-subaru-forester-spy-photos-news

Should be announced at the next LA or Detroit show, as it's rumored to go on sale next january in Australia, probably here next spring.

Note that it continues to use the Impreza dashboard—a smart move.

Bob
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    These manuals are geting a bit verbose lately. 145 pages on door locks and air bags before it even gets to starting the car... LOL
  • Options
    I like it, evolutionary, boxy shape, only a tad bigger. Interior looks improved.

Cost cutting police: dual exhaust is gone.

Looks good from what I can see, though.