Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler PT Cruiser (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• heart93heart93 Posts: 15
    I think availibility is opening up - thus more reasonable prices. I can't imagine paying sticker, much less a market premium at this point. I bought mine for 2% under invoice & could have taken one right off of the lot, if I wanted an automatic. This was on top of them offering $600 more for my trade than anyone else would.
    I may have waited a little longer than some, but I still got a vehicle that I like for what I think was a very reasonable deal.

I also found a link to some aftermarket seats. Check it out & see if they have what you are looking for.

http://howell.mountain.net/Corbeau/Seats.html
  • lcwoslcwos Posts: 35
    I want a PT Cruiser. Currently have an Infinity QX4, lease up this year. I have 4 German Shorthaired Pointers. Will I have room do you think?? Is the rear seat easy to get in and out. I just had back surgery and need to know. I live in flat country and travel 25 miles round trip to town. Will it pull a single wave runner, or a14 ft aluminum boat? Anyone really know?? Do you think I should stay with an SUV/wagon type vehicle or can this car do it for me???
    Anyone know of updates coming for this car by around November of this year??? That is when my lease is up........ Thank you so very much....Lee W
  • raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    You ask a lot of questions! I don't think four pointers are going to fit comfortably.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    The PT Cruiser is rated to tow 1000 lbs.

I don't know how the dogs would fit, however I would guess that you would have to remove the rear seats which is certainly easy enough to do. You would be effectively turning the car into a 2 passenger vehicle. As far as getting in and out of the car is concerned, the doors are somewhat short (the whole car is short) but they do open widely, something like 75%.

It would seem to me that your best bet would be to go look at the car. If you need to try it out, you can probably find a car rental place where you can rent it for a week. I suspect that if you just go and look at it you may find that many of your questions are automatically answered.

As far as next November, you are talking 2003 and as far as I know, everything is still just speculation, Chrysler isn't talking.
  • lcwoslcwos Posts: 35
    Thank you "crkeehn". I didnt realize they rented this type of vehicle. I usually dont put all 4 dogs in the car at one time, but on occassion I do. I have a waverunner and a small aluminum boat and wondered if anyone else may have had towing experience.....I mentioned I lived in flat terrain for towing....If the rear seat removes and re-installs easily that would be perfect. I have no kids and it is a 2 person family. I heard rumors about a larger power plant coming out,and since I live in a rural setting, good info is hard to come by...... Everyone drives big Trucks and huge SUV's and full size Vans around here..
    Anyway, I thank you for your answers....and will see if I can rent one for a week.......
    Lee
  • illini4illini4 Posts: 140
    The turbocharged engine will be available in a few months, certainly well before November. It increases horsepower from 150 to just over 200.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    had them early on when they were in short supply. Then they wanted $100 a day to rent one. I recently rented one while my truck was in for service and now it's $39.
  • jpelderjpelder Posts: 235
    Personally, I think you will be impressed with the PT Cruiser cargo ability. It has a very low floor and an extremely spacious rear seat. Like many say, it's a mini-mini-van.

Try it and you will be sold on it.
  • I have a question about purchasing the PT Cruiser. It seems the local dealers are starting to discount, at least in the newspaper ads. Is the market softening enough to quote prices closer to invoice?

Also, after enduring the reliability problems of GM and Ford products, we have been driving Nissans and Hondas for the past several years. We really like the looks and functionality of the Cruiser but we have concerns about long term reliability.

I think Chrysler has come along way in improving quality but what can we expect in the way of reliability with this car?

Thanks,

S.
    at least one Dealer is discounting them around $500. I dont look at the ads much but saw this in person on the windshields. According to Edmunds prices there's only about $1200 diff. Invoice to MSRP on a PT.
  • It seems that PT prices are finally getting to be in the reasonbable range. I bought my PT in October for the F & F price (2% below invoice) w/o having to push very hard.
    I was also a little leery of Chrysler quality. I now have over 5,000 miles w/ no trouble & everything remains very solid. If this continues, I will consider making another Chrysler purchase in the future.
    However the early indicators are very promising. Consumer Reports shows all red circles in their frequency of repair record, indicating a much better than average repair record. All the initial reviews commented how tightly put together the vehicle was and the extended use reports are reporting few or no problems.

I also follow the Chrysler usenet group and am a member of ptenthusiasts and neither have very many trouble posts for the Cruiser.
    I ever heard was when they first came out a friend here in Austin commented that it didn't really cool the interior enough on the 100+ degree days. I wondered if they were using a too small Neon A/C unit in the larger PT. Oh, and his window washers dribbled and left water streaks on the hood.
  • For those of you that think the PT Cruiser is a cool car, congrats you have been suckered by great advertising to make you that that a car with no soul is cool. This car is retro, yea it looks like a '37 ford one of the ugliest cars that ford ever made. Chrysler could not even steal one of their own designs!
  • I'm not a big PT cruiser fan, but what gives you the right to decide what's cool for people and what's not? Something tells me your as young or younger than the "21" in your screen name. Cool cars are whatever makes you feel cool.
  • Troll. Ignore him & he'll go away.

Actually getting back on topic - the quality of the PT is pretty impressive so far. If I have any gripes, it would be that the carpet be better quality / better installed. To reach the price point, something has to give. I guess this was one of the areas.
    "Flamed" models at the Dealer recently. It looks pretty sharp even tho it is a decal. $495 option. This one was an Inferno Red one.
  • andil1andil1 Posts: 97
    Has any seen or heard about the availability of the Dream Cruiser? I thought it was supposed to be released in January, but there are none in my area yet.
    They can be ordered now and are actually beginning to show up at the dealers. There have been a couple of posts about people actually finding an uncommitted one at a dealer and buying it.
  • dweezildweezil Posts: 271
    On my way home from work today, going North on Woodman in the San Fernando Valley [CA.]parked in front of an apartment building was a PT Cruiser LIMO!!! White with about 3 doors and space between the driver's door and the last two. What a shock. When was this done??? Talk about doing a double take!! I'd love to know how much the wheelbase was extended, whether it was a one shot for a movie, or will several be built for rental agencies. Anyone remember the Chrysler Le Baron {?} K car limos??? I guess this is the 21st Century version. [and before anyone takes offense "version" meaning of the mini limo concept, not the PT as a 21st Century K car!!!]
    Wish you could have seen it,very very unusual. Dave
This discussion has been closed.