Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Performance Luxury Sedans

Comments

• ksurgksurg Posts: 48
    I got on the list at Stevens Creek. Generally, I find working with a fleet manager or internet sales person easier than the guys on the floor. As for brokers they can save you money but in my experience there's a lot of wheeling and dealing and in the end your local dealer is pissed off and you only saved $500 on a $50K plus vehicle( i.e. providing you've done your research). It can actually help to have a contact person at a dealership if a problem occurs. You shouldn't get preferential treatment from a dealership for buying the car there but you often do.
  • shoesshoes Posts: 131
    Have any of you super sedan fans ever owned a car with a 12 cylinder engine? I read an article recently where the author stated that you owe it to yourself to own a 12 cylinder car at least once in your life.

Any comments on this?
  • pathdocpathdoc Posts: 126
    I don't know how you can compare the two since if you love top down driving they aren't cross shopped. The CLK 500 might be a better comparison. I have both SL's and a S500 and 560 SEC and have owned many Mercedes including E classes. I have also driven the newer E's and it would never occurr to me to compare the two. Both are excellent but if you want a sporty convertible the E won't do.
  • w210w210 Posts: 188
    While I agree with you they're very different cars, I find it interesting to compare them as they're in the similar price range and both possess their own sense of sportiness.

The SL500 while corners very well and looks very sporty, is not as agile to me as it lacks the power of the E55.

For 99% of the general public, they would think the SL500 is a sports car while the E55 is a boring 4 door.

Far from the truth.

You're right, of course we cannot factor in the topless experience but we're speaking strictly from a performance standpoint.
  • chngrchngr Posts: 2
    I just joined the message board, and I find all your comments to be very insightful. I purchased a 2004 E55 3 weeks ago for MSRP. It's a wonderful car, but extremely unreliable. It has been sitting in the MB service bay for 2 weeks getting a replacement Command System and repaired Home Link System. Unfortunately, all these problems arose as I was getting the demo during the delivery of my car. Have any of you been experiencing the same problems?
  • clpurnellclpurnell Posts: 1,087
    Thinking of getting a cpo XJR in the next couple years. Any owners out there who have this car and can tell me what to look out for. I like the new E55 a lot too but based on the post above may have to steer clear of those.
  • w210w210 Posts: 188
    No issues with the COMAND DVD or Homelink.

Are you sure the Homelink unit is defective and not your mistake in programming? Rolling codes can be tricky to program.

What kind of COMAND difficulties are you experiencing?
  • bmizbmiz Posts: 4
    Has there been any information updates on the production schedule and availability for the E60 M5?
  • Took delivery in Late Nov....2004 with NAV
    Everything works well...NAV is NOT nearly as sophisticated as the Lexus Nav system...very tight car and unbelievable responsive...front seats are very firm...huge trunk but who buys an E55 for trunk space? Gas mileage is a little under 20 mpg
    No satellite radio yet but supposedly coming in early 04
    Hot car and very understated.
  • Amen bmiz, I've got an M5 ordered, but where can we find updates as to anything regarding this screamer?
  • chngrchngr Posts: 2
    The entire Command module had to be replaced (which took 10 days to get the part and installed). Apparently, the radio, CD, CD changer, phone, and navigation all operate through a singular fiber optic loop. If one device malfunctions, all devices stop working. MB could not pinpoint the problem, so they replaced the entire Command System (at least that is what they told me).

Homelink was defective, buttons 2 and 3 held a code, but 1 would not.

All is well so far... I'll keep my finger crossed.
  • I just purchased a 2004 E55 and am surprised to find out that the first scheduled oil change is at 10000 miles. Is it safe to follow such a rigorous schedule? The thing that bothers me is that on my wife's 1999 E430, the dealer recommends changing the oil every 5000 miles and service every 10000 miles. Any recommendations?
  • I have a 2004 E55 and was told the same thing by my dealer....Mobil one synthetic oil goes much longer between oil changes than regular oil.
    Your dealer will call you for an unannounced service after about six weeks to do a "courtesy"
    check on all systems and to answer any questions about the vehicle.
    Enjoy your new ride.
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Posts: 200
    I am really happy that the new M5 is coming before the STS V. It will give GM a venue to prepare an appropriate response
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    They're going to have to come up with one hell of a car to come anywhere near the new M5.

M
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    Do you really believe Cadillac is going to release a sub-4 second sedan the size of a STS? Not gonna happen...

"the current M5 can't light a candle anywhere near the CTS V..." - really?? You mean... kinda like a Corolla vs. a Corvette? A Corolla can't light a candle anywhere near a Corvette!

You must not be a true car guy, as this statement is just not based in reality. Emotional perceptions can make us say unsupportable things.

A close scrutiny of empirical performance numbers tells another story! Hardly enough difference to serve as round-off error. Of course, there is so much more to performance than 0-60.

Cadillac is making a fine effort and they are to be applauded. Gonna take them a while to build the sort of reputation "earned" by the BMW M cars. Let's see how the "V" cars hold up before claiming them to be the 2nd Coming.

Don't get me wrong, its about time an American Mfgr got serious on the world performance stage. Once Cadillac EARNS the reputation, they'll see me in their showroom.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    Check out the major auto mags. Thinking it was in March 2004 issue of C&D that they tested E46 M3, E39 M5, and CTS-V. The V had axle hop issues and didn't meet the GM-projected accleration time. 0-60 mph took over 5 seconds.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    What? I'm sorry but I think you tend to get your wishful thinking mixed up with reality. Where has it ever been said that the M5 "can't hold a candle" to the CTS-V? What reviews on which planet have you been reading? Care to share which review said anything like that about the M5??? I'd like to read them.

I do see where Car and Driver said that the M5 wasn't worth the price difference over the CTS-V, but no where did I see anything about the CTS-V beating the M5 to the point of it not being able to hold a candle to the CTS-V.

Futhermore, as so many GM fans love to point out when one of their cars is in question, the M5 is no longer in production. The new M5 will be the car thatthe CTS-V won't be able to "hold a candle" too.

So far what I've actually seen is that the CTS-V has not performed up to specs, and has also been beaten by the Jaguar S-Type R, of all cars(!)....and this verdict was handed down not by a foreign car loving magazine, it was given by Motor Trend...an American car on the cover every month, V8 this and Corvette that, said their pick was the S-Type R.

A STS-V with those specs is pure fantasy, and will probably never be, so lets stick to reality-based posting.

M
  • Hey guys. Just saw the pics of the E60 M5 here, i don't know how close these pics are to the real thing, but I think this car will silence all the critics who hate the Bangle design. I for one love the new 5, and the M5 will reclaim it's crown. If it ever lost it. Got the mag with M5,M3,CTS-V comparo. The only thing the caddy has going for it is that it's a whole lot cheaper. I'll take a E39 or E60 over anything else. If I could afford one, had to settle for a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS.
  • rentschlrentschl Posts: 69
    When you look for the M5 in Edmunds' new car listings, it's not there.

What's the reason for this?

Is it listed in some other, special location?

Thanks,
    Eric
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Posts: 351
    The e39 M5 is not currently in production (ended with MY2003). The e60 M5 (MY2005) is forthcoming. e39 M5's should be listed as used... I mean "Pre-Owned" cars ;-)
  • rentschlrentschl Posts: 69
    So then there was no M5 for 2004.

Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Eric
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    That is correct. It was discontinued in June of 2003.

You can find a 2005 M5 Future Vehicle section at this link: http://www.edmunds.com/future/2005/bmw/m5/100286738/preview.html?- - tid=edmunds.f.mmindex.content.num5.0.bmw*
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    A colleague of mine with a 2002 M5 has seen the value of his vehicle go up over the past 6-8 months. Claims he could sell it for at about $3,000 more today than he could have in september of last year. He attributes this to the controversial design of the new 5 series and the fact that there is no 2004 M5 to buy new.

A friend of his is not having the same good fortune with a 2002 E55 which he has been trying to sell for a month in advance of his 2004 E55 arriving. He's dropped his price from $55k to $46.5k and, as of yesterday, still no takers. By comparison, a local Porsche dealer offered $53k for the M5 outright, whether or not he bought a Porsche. He thinks $57.5k is possible in a private party sale.

P.S. Both cars are mint with 35k+/- miles.
  • pablo_lpablo_l Posts: 491
    Just comes to show that the market for high end cars is tricky, ad anyone who buys one thinking of it as "investment" is running a risk due to unpredictable market changes. It basically just means that is your friend with an M5 is remotely interested in selling, he should take one of the great offers he's getting now. The new M5 will blow his older model away, controversial design or not, and people in the market for performance sedans want that - performance.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Not sure I agree with your assessment as it applies to the E39 M5 vs. E60 M5. I am sure the new model will offer impressive performance, but I for one would prefer the previous body style and cleaner interior to one based on the current 5 series with i-drive and funky interior aesthetics.

And, as for "blow away" performance, at what point does this become a bit ridiculous, especially for a 5 passenger sedan. The 2002 M5 gets from 0-60 in under 5 seconds and has lateral grip that compares to my S2000. I'm not sure how much better the E60 M5 will be, but I'd be more inclined to keep a 2002 E39 M5 than trade up in performance and down in style. Subjective, for sure, but a lot of others appear to share this opinion.

I do agree with your assessment as it would apply to the E55. As best I can tell, the new 2004 is a substantial improvement over the old in all categories. However, wonder how long it will be before it becomes usurped by an E65?
  • The E39 M5 set the standard for performance/luxury sedans and that's why it's a classic and the 2002 E55 is not. I agree with the both of you, but I think the E60 M5 will "somewhat blow away" the E39 M5 in performance based on that V10 500 hp and I'm sure the tourque has to be somewhere around 400. Not to mention the car is lighter, because of the extensive use of aluminum. I also agree that this engine placed in the E39 would have been an instant classic. Look what Dinan did to the E39 M5, giving it 470hp and 0-60 times of 4.1-4.4s. With no turbo or supercharger, but the conversion cost about $30,000. I "love" the E39 design and I "like" the E60 design. But you know how it is "my car is faster than yours". I also think the E60 545 and M5's pure perfromance level will negate the Banglization of BMW. I've never really thought of the last generation E55 as a special car, it always trailed the E39 M5 in every comparo and probably in every category, but still a great car. Lastly look at those E60 M5 pics and just look at the additions made to the body of the car, especially that front air dam, bulging tire wells, and those quad pipes out back. P.S. How come Audi is not producing the RS6 anymore, was just a one year thing.
  • e350v10e350v10 Posts: 92
    Anyone know what the M5 pricing will be?

I was thinking it would be around $75-80K (E55,RS6).

I'm #1 on a waiting list, but the dealer said the MSRP might be around $120K!
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Posts: 200
    With $120K you could get yourself a CTS_V something else like a 540i. Two cars. Tommorow. It’s your decision