Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo S80

Comments

• big_oilbig_oil Posts: 2
    I am looking at putting in an XM Commander radio into my 1999 S80 sedan. Does anyone have any experience having this done? Where did you mount the display unit and how easy was it to hook into the back of the existing radio?
    Any comments are welcome.

Neil
  • yydaveyydave Posts: 6
    Davant,

You are right. :) And I guess you got a slightly better deal. :)
  • yydaveyydave Posts: 6
    Normally the four sensors would line up across the rear bumper like this:

-O-----O-----O-----O-

My 2004 S80 doesn't come with factory-installed parking aid but my dealer was willing to add it for $350. He must have messed up the installation because mine ended up with two rows looking like this:

-----O------------O-----
    -----O------------O-----

It not only looks ugly, but it is also not as sensitive near the rear corners because the sensors are further away from the corners as compared to factory installation.

To make me whole, the dealer will have to replace the bumper and reinstall. If he wouldn't go along, what's my recourse? Thanks.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Posts: 283
    Davant, I agree with you. If I'm getting another new car, I would go with the factory ext warranty. In the past few years, I have heard many stories about aftermarket warranty companies going out of business. Other than that, the claim process is always a pain in the a$$. Factory warranty is a bit pricy, but it saves you tons of trouble.
    It's hard to believe the dealer made such mistake. They probably hired some high school punk to install the parking sensors. If I were you, I would ask the service advisor first. If he/she insist the installation is correct, ask him/her to prove with the installation instruction.
  • mcozmcoz Posts: 5
    I've owned Volvos since 1990. First bought a 1987 740GLE with 118,000 miles on it , kept it for 8 years , put 230,000 miles on it and never had a problem. Traded it in for a 1992 940 Turbo with 87,000 miles on it. Had the same good experience. Put 147,000 miles on it and haven't had any problems. Now with the car being 12 years old, we wanted a newer Volvo. Banking on the good service and reliability of our past Volvos, we purchased a 2001 S80 T6. This is not the same kind of Volvo as our previous ones. Had the car for a month , and though it moves and looks great, we had a few minor problems. One being condensation in the head lamps. Another being a loose exterior window molding. Bad AM radio reception is another and lastly, we have a whining noise in the geartronic trans upon starting off in drive. Though we love Volvos and this car, at this point, I am wondering if I should of held onto our 1992 940 Turbo or search for a newer S90 instead of purchasing this S80 T6 and paying it off for the next 5 years. The question is, do you think these new Volvos will hold up as well as the older Volvos. Our S80 is a Certified Volvo, meaning we have the extended coverage for 6 years or 100,000 miles , but we usually keep the cars for well over 6 years and 100,000 miles. What do you think?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    can't be hooked directly to factory radio.
    You'll have to run it through an FM modulator.
    Any competent stereo installer should be able to handle it.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    My partner has driven an S80T6 since new in 01. Problems have been minimal. Personally, I think the new generation of Volvos are 10 times better than the old ones except for the FWD
  • I purchased a 2004 T6 about 4 months ago, and have noticed a downturn in it’s shift quality between 1st and 2nd (in full auto). Normal driving conditions are fine, but when at a light and trying to get out in front of another car to pass, this becomes noticeable. When the car shifts from 1st to 2nd at over 3000 RPM there is a significant hesitation, almost to the point of feeling like a stall.

I have been to the dealership where they performed a software upgrade. This did nothing or perhaps even made it worse. Is this a normal driving characteristic of the T6? Has anyone else experienced this? I am still working to have this resolved.
    I don't have a T6 (yet), but my other car that has semi-automatic shifting had the same problem when it was new. I took it to the dealer and they told me it's because the computer needs to "learn" the driver's driving style. I don't know if the dealer was correct, but the "stall" symptom went away after few months of ownership.

From the previous posts, I learned T6 has GM transmission. It should be one of the most reliable transmission in the market today.
  • rollierollie Posts: 337
    It sounds like you are dealing with an adaptive transmission. If you consistently drive like a granny or consistently drive like you stole it you would never know the car has an adaptive logic transmission. The problem you face comes about when you suddenly decide to drive differently than you have for many prior miles.

If you drive in an economical fashion and decide you suddenly need some power there are things you can do to help yourself. If conditions warrant (i.e., it's dry) you can turn off DSTC/STC which robs off the line power. You can also use the Geartronic and shift for yourself up through the first couple of gears - again it will be a bit balky until you've done it a few times.

Volvo's adapative tranny logic works overall but if you have multiple drivers with different driving habits or you decide to change current driving habit significantly you can find yourself in the uncomfortable area where the transmission is changing shift points to accomodate your driving style. Prior Volvos (e.g., 850/S70) and more recent Volvos (S60R GT) used to have a 'Sport' button by the shifter so you could manually decide when you wanted to drive a little more aggressively (used to have an 'Economy' and 'Winter' mode as well in some cars.)

For fun, take your T6 out for some spirited driving (brisk accleration from the red lights) for several miles and you'll feel the car getting faster and faster. Unfortunately it's not a solution to your problem unless you don't mind getting 12 mpg! I think you'll just have to decide upon a driving style that works for you and be aware of your options vis-a-vis DSTC/STC and Geartronic (and learning how to modulate the accelerator for optimal launch - just pushing it all the way down as fast as possible is not the fastest way to move the T6.)

Good luck.

-rollie
    rdollie@att.net
    1994 850 Turbo (gone and missed)
    1998 S70 T5 (not much to miss)
    1999 S80 T6 (gone and missed)
    2001 V70 T5 (hers, gone but not missed by the XC90 lover)
    2003 XC90 T6 (hers)
    2004 S60R MT (his)
  • larryp3larryp3 Posts: 20
    This is a known problem with a software fix coming soon. Make sure your dealer knows. See big discussion on VVspy under this topic.

Problem with 2002.5
    Stopped by several dealers in the past few weeks found all dealers have less than 3 T6s. They all have tons of 2.5Ts. Is Volvo trying to phase out T6 after 2.9?
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    It just doesn't sell well. Volvo is putting their special emphasis on the 2.5T.
    The T6 is pricey, but what a great car. It's the only Volvo I would be interested in.
    Test drove the S80 last week. What a SWEET ride it is! It's smooth and quiet. One thing I found interesting is the leather seat. The leather is kindda like the skin of a basketball. The sales person told me the rough leather is more durable. I hope it's not some cost cutting trick that FORD is playing.
    The Swedes are still very much in control of Volvo. Ford just manages from afar, collects the rent, funds the marketing, etc. Although I have started to notice some parts sharing, but it's the Volvo parts showing up in my Fords I've noticed!
  • Could it also be a precursor to the introducing V8 for the higher end model?
  • Not. Leather is embossed with the pattern you see/feel. This occurs after leather is split into layers ("top grain" separted from "splits"--which become suede), sanded to remove visible surface imperfections such as scratches from wire fence barbs, tanned and dyed. Consequently, automotive leather is a highly processed material. This is true of all but the most rare automobiles, including most M-B and BMW models. Color of leather is matched to color of vinyl used on seat sides, backs, etc. rather than vice versa. None of this takes away from comfort or attractive appearance of leather interiors.
  • Whether it affects durability or not, I agree that the leather used in the S80 and XC90 is among the nicest around. I was also looking at Lexus, and the seats were surprisingly one of the things I liked better in the Volvos. Not that Lexus doesn't have nice seats -- they certainly do. But to me, the Volvo's were actually more comfortable.