Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    frankmaxfrankmax Member Posts: 18
    As I mentioned in Post 947, Avalon is not really a Japanese car. You have to treat it as a domestic car. My new avalon also has defects(some chips on the body and rattles inside). Very interesting thing is, Avalon was ranked the top one in premium mid size car category in ID Power's initial quality in 2001 (http://www.jdpa.com/studies/winners. asp?Study ID=517&Cat ID=1). I guess nobody on this board got in the survey.
  • Options
    marshal1marshal1 Member Posts: 68
    First of all, chips in a cars paint can hardly be considered a defect. Every car from a Rolls Royce to a Yugo will get chips in the paint. That's what happens when you drive the car. You must have some other problems besides rattles to not like the Avalon. I'm sure if you take it back to your Toyota dealer they will be glad to solve your rattle problem. Most cars will rattle when driven over bumps. Since you believe paint chips are a defect I just wanted to point out that the rattles may also be normal depending on the circumstances. Finally, the fact that the Avalon is made in the U.S. and that it did win the J.D. Power award for initial quality speaks to how great of a car this really is. I was not in the original survey, but had I been I would have only had outstanding things to say about my 2001 Avalon. All cars will have a percentage of lemons and problems. The Avalon is no exception. However, I can attest that my Avalon is trouble free and a great car all around.
  • Options
    02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    Did you have a problem adjusting to the size of the Avalon, having come from a '01 Pathfinder? I was considering a Pathfinder/MDX at one point for it's size and available room. My wife and I are below the "average Avalon age" and have a two year old to contend with. Does the Avalon have enough space for the majority of your needs? Any input from the mothers out there would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    toledo19toledo19 Member Posts: 119
    Actually, I have much more room in the avalon! Much better ride and greater comfort.
  • Options
    sky33sky33 Member Posts: 26
    Hello all, I'm new to this message board but have been reading the messages for some time. A few earlier em-ails have discussed the styling of the avalon. There are a number of features I like about the avalon however, the styling could use some refreshing. Toyota designers if your reading this post here are a few things I think they should change when they update the avalon in 2003:
    1. Please freshen up the rear-end. It looks like a bread truck. Maybe take some cues from the rear-end of the Mercedes I class sedan.
    2. Get the back up lights off of the trunk deck lid and put them into the tail lights.
    3. The toothy grill has to go. Re shape the head lights and tone down the grill. (nexus GS300).
    4. Parking brake pad should be changed to a lever in the center console.
    5. I heard that the avalon does not have luminated window buttons like the Camry, need to add this feature.

That's all I can come up with now. Considering the price of the avalon in comparison with the ES300, the avalon appears to be a good value with more interior room. It looks like the Mark II on the scoop website.
  • Options
    sky33sky33 Member Posts: 26
    Excuse the missspelled words in my earlier
    e-mail. Better use the spell checker next time.
    Anyway I was refering to the Mercedes S Class sedan and the Lexus GS 300.
  • Options
    I didn't say I don't like Avalon. I love Avalon so much that I got disappointed when I saw something which made my avalon not a perfect car. As you said, all cars will have a percentage of lemons and problems. Unfortunately some owners including myself, are among that small percentage Therefore, we are here to look for solution and suggestions, or even make complaints. One good thing about this board is to let the potient buyer learn the potential problems and what they should pay attention to when they select their Avalon. I should have found this board before I bought the car.
  • Options
    boba4boba4 Member Posts: 2
    I got a 2001 XLS two weeks ago and love it. I do have one question and it concerns the outside temperature that is displayed on the video screen. Mine consistently reads 5 degrees higher than the actual outside temperature. I asked my service mechanic about this and he indicated there was nothing to be fixed. I realize that with all the things that can be wrong with a car I should count my blessings. But, I can't help wondering if there isn't a simple way to re-calibrate this indicator.
  • Options
    rzepa2rzepa2 Member Posts: 24
    My 2001 XL is within 1 degree or right on the
    spot. If you can prove it, I am suprised that
    dealer refuses to fix it. I would doubt that this
    would be calibration issue. It is probaby faulty
    temp sensor. Needs to be replaced.
  • Options
    donstackdonstack Member Posts: 9
    My temperature display is very accurate, within a degree of temp announcement on radio. My wifes Ford suv is a couple degrees off during good weather and up to 5 degrees off in winter conditions.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    It is my understanding that this sensor is located very close to the ground. This means that those who drive on black top (as opposed to concrete) will see higher than normal readings in the summer.
  • Options
    ovleeovlee Member Posts: 4
    I just want to put in our two cents worth, about our 2000 Avalon: we love everything about it. I was hoping for high 20's for MPG, but it actually runs in the low 20's in town driving, around Fort Worth. On hi way it gets the latter. Have not had any trouble. We are contemplating getting another....Oliver
  • Options
    tonym12tonym12 Member Posts: 3
    I am going to buy a car and narrowed the choices down to Avalon and I30. Could anybody here please tell me your opinions?
  • Options
    laterldflaterldf Member Posts: 37
    Reportedly the 2002 Avalons will be hitting the dealers' stores in a few weeks. Does anyone know what new options will be available; e.g. the gps which is supposed to be an option on the new Cambrys and which is an option on the Avalons exported to Japan? tia later, ldf
  • Options
    footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Test drive the specific vehicle you plan on purchasing in as close to your planned use as possible. If you commute, drive as much of your commute as possible during the test drive. Take the time to do it in normal traffic if you can.

If you plan on using your car for long trips, simulate one. Load up the trunk with you bags and clubs (yes, take them to the dealership in your old car). Do they fit? Trunks are sometimes much bigger/smaller than they appear all swathed in grey carpet. Then drive the car for 30 to 60 miles.

Hit the good spots on 8 lane - is it quiet and the bad spots, does it rattle?

Bring your favorite CD if you have one. Is loading the player simple. How does it sound?

Before you head out, roll windows down 1 inch and open and close the door.

If the salesperson goes with you, bring duct tape.

If you like the vehicle, can see yourself in it, then it becomes a viable new car for you.

But make sure that you don't get one of the ones with issues.

If ANYTHING jingles, pops, squeaks, rattles, or if it stumbles, stalls, etc. RETURN IT.

Even if it's a special color, only one they are going to get this year, blah, ,blah, blah. Don't don't put your money down on any vehicle that has a 'few glitches' or 'pre-delivery' bugs, NEVER.

We drove three Avalons before we found one that didn't rattle. It didn't start rattling for about 2 weeks. Still does. Avalons are one of the best American cars made in American, but its not a Lexus, made in Japan.

New vehicles have minimum pre-delivery requirements because factories build the cars and the dealers don't do much except inspect them, put in extra, drop-in, glue-on options and wash them.
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    These cars are quite different in feel.I had a rental Maxima for a month,so I am quite familar with this chassis.It is one of the best Japanese cars on the market;it has a very pleasing,Mercedesque heaviness to it.It tracks very well at higher speeds.as Nissan is still an underdog compared to Toyota and Honda,
    i personally feel that they do(must)try harder.The I30 has more chrome trim(espically appealing in black).I almost bought an Avalon for my wife last winter,though.I bought a Cadillac Catera for her instead.
    Is a bench seat much of an issue with you?To me,it is a large part of the Avalon's appeal.With the column shift,it is much more VISUALLY roomy.I often don't care for a lot of luxury items,but we looked at an XL with leather,a bench,and a sunroof.The Avalon is quite soft,and not really fun to drive in a "sports car"sense,but with the above options,I thought it a supreme cruiser.All it lacks is the unpleasant walloweyness of,say,a Cadillac Deville.
    Overall,both the I30(you do know it dosen't really offer much above the Maxima)and the Avalon are wonderful cars.I would go with the Avalon-with a bench.In my area,it was impossible to find,though.That,and its softness,dissuaded me from buying one,however.
  • Options
    heymistaheymista Member Posts: 22
    I often wonder what initial quality really means. To me it means nothing. I loved my Avalon the 1st 30k miles. Then it was nothing but trouble especially after 50k. I agree that this is an American car. Japanese cars are supposed to give you much better quality and dependability. My advice is that if you start experiencing problems at 40k -Sell!! Power Steering Column, all the power windows, CV boots, A/C, too many problems to remember. I spent over $7,000 after 50k. Reminds me of a Chrysler K car I drove in college. I wonder if Lee Iacocca works for Toyota now.
  • Options
    I30 has too much Maxima in it, go between Maxima and Avalon, I own Avalon, but when I shopped I found the Infiniti dealer was pricing close to sticker, actually bullied me and said how superior I30 was to Maxima! I didn't see that justified, I wasn't impressed with the dash or the rear window shade. Maxima is sporty and well appointed, At 6' 4" I just fit in it though. I wanted a roomier car. The next generation Maxima(based on new Altima) will be larger, reports actually say it will have sizing similiar to Avalon. That will be interesting.

So I made choice between Avalon and Maxima. I need the space, went w/ Avalon. As stated in previous posts, very satisfied, many compliments, 6 cd player in dash is nice too.
  • Options
    chuck89chuck89 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Avalon XLS. I live in Southern Calif so the weather is quite hot. When I am driving and using the Air Condtion sometimes a foul smell comes from the Air Condtion this happens no matter which setting it is in (fresh or recirculate) Has any had this problem if so what was the remedy. Thanks
  • Options
    ltd2ltd2 Member Posts: 14
    Hi, Heymista,
    just wondering which year's model is your avalon,
    if it is year 2000, i guess i made the right choice to buy extended warranty!
  • Options
    jimolsonjimolson Member Posts: 8
    My new 2001 XL just rolled over 2K miles. It's a much better car than my '95 XLS, and I loved that car a lot. I've never driven a Lexus or a Mercedes, but they can't be much better than this 2001 Avalon. I've found no significant manufacturing defects.

Some unsolicited owner feedback for Toyota's engineering group:

1. Delete about 2Kbytes of bloated code from the door-locking microcomputer software. You should have reassigned the whiz kids who wrote this code after the basic features were completed. If the bloated code has to stay, add a page to the manual to describe what is happening with the auto-lock function. Furlough all dealer personnel who insist on blowing you off with the comment that you're just fumbling with the remote.

2. Drop the fan speed a few RPM on the lowest AC setting. There's too much "spacing" between the lowest setting and OFF. I find myself changing the vent deflectors or raising the temp setting at night because icicles are growing on my nose.

3. Make the display indication of FM1 and FM2 radio bands more prominent for geezers like me with bi-focals.

4. The orientation of the polarizing filter on the LCD display for the trip computer is wrong. Tilt it to make its polarizing angle the same as the radio's. You can't read the trip computer with polarizing sunglasses on.

5. De-linearize the speedometer to give more resolution in the 40-80 mph range. The readability of the speedometer is sacrificed at 60 mph to allow it to display to a ridiculous 140 mph. I suspect the Avalon odometer reads to 140 for the benefit of Canadian drivers who measure speed in kmph. For $30K per vehicle, Toyota can find the $ to make custom speedometer faceplates for Canada.

Other than these minor gripes, Avalon rules!
  • Options
    mitchnikmitchnik Member Posts: 11
    If you are even considering getting a Lexus over an Avalon, don't waste your money. In the past 16 years, I've had a total of 14 different cars in my household including a 96' and 98' LS 400's. Great cars, but not worth twice the price of the new Avalon. Toyota may want consumers to think otherwise, but the loaded Avalon is a Lexus-same engine and trans as ES300, same CD player, instrumentation, wood trim and I could go on and on. Maybe I'm getting cheap in my old "middle age", but if you want a boat that floats, go with the Avalon. After 2100 miles in a little over a month, no problems. Only downer is the reflection off the dash, specifically the speedometer and fuel gauges at the bottom. I'm tall and the dash that protrudes far on the left and ride sides and then recesses in the middle is a bit too short in the middle. But no complaints on the room. Better than the LS according to Toyota's own figures. A pleasure to drive for the money.
  • Options
    akuma1akuma1 Member Posts: 37
    My dad is interested in getting an Avalon and need a few pointers. Are there anything I should be aware of? How's the reliability? How much to pay? The dealership have a few Avalons and have a hard time selling them, can I actually pay invoice or under invoice? We're thinking of choosing this over the TL btw.
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    An Avalon does not have the same wood trim or instrumentation as an ES300.
    A fully loaded 2001 Avalon XLS sells for about the same price you could get a 2001 ES300 with the same options for.
    An ES300 has better styling. The main reason to get a fully loaded XLS is to have a bigger back seat.
    If you get base Avalon and don't put all the options on it, then it is much cheaper than an ES300, otherwise there is no huge price savings.
  • Options
    jimolsonjimolson Member Posts: 8
    Tonight I finally experienced the rear suspension bottoming out in my 2001 as noted by other posters in this newsgroup. It took three passengers and a parking lot speed bump to do it, but the effect is pretty impressive.

Sounds and feels like someone has whacked the rear bumper real hard with a sledge hammer.

That's OK. I still like the car and I'll ask my passengers to walk before I give up that Avalon handling...
  • Options
    poolahpoolah Member Posts: 2
    I have had my new 2001 XL for three weeks. I LOVE this car. But I do have one question...the manual says the headlights are auto on/off and should turn off automatically 20 seconds after I turn the car off. They do not. Am I missing a step or is something not working properly. I really wanted this feature as it saved my life a million times in my camry. PLEASE send me a little advice on this matter!
  • Options
    Jimolson, great comments. You're so right about the "low" fan speed. I have polarized sunglasses as well (yes, bifocal) and I'm not sure I know what you mean. There is slight distortion, but it is still legible.
    poolah, where is your light switch set? off,on or auto?
  • Options
    poolahpoolah Member Posts: 2
    I usually turn them to the "on" position on the steering wheel control. That's where I used it on my camry. However, I did test it when it was on auto and they still did not turn off. Where is it supposed to be set for the auto on/off feature to work? I know my daytime running lamps come on automatically and turn off automatically when I have the lights on off....
  • Options
    I've heard a few compare the Lexus ES300 to the Avalon and I don't think the two are in the same class. The Avalon is a full size sedan (interior vol. 106.6 cu.ft.), while the ES300 is a mid-size (92.1 cu. ft.). However, the Lexus does come with more bells and whistles and a better warranty/dealer experience. Considering that you can get an Avalon for $500 over invoice, I don't think the price can be compared either.
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Price can definately be compared!

An ES300 IS CHEAPER!!!

Check out the selling prices at Carsdirect.com.
    In southern California an ES300 is available for below invoice.
    In zip code 90210, an ES300 with value package and heated seats is available for $29,183 and an Avalon XLS with leather, moonroof and package 7 is $29,853.
    The only reason to get an Avalon XLS in this situation is if you need the extra rear seat room.
    A 2001 Toyota Avalon XLS costs more money than a 2001 Lexus ES300.
    Price is going to vary in other areas, but there will be no huge price difference between a loaded Avalon and an ES300.
  • Options
    I stand corrected. It appears you can get the ES300 for a better price than the Avalon. I am leaning towards the Avalon b/c the larger back seat is very important to me and the wife. I also like the fact that the Avalon has more trunk space, better gas mileage (EPA) and all this comes in a package that is only a fraction bigger than the ES300.
  • Options
    Avalon is a full-size sedan while ES300 is a LUXURY sedan. Even though the prices are close, Avalon is still one level below ES300 (since Toyota wants Avalon to compete with American big cars, not its own Lexus). For the same amount of money, which car to buy depends on what people are looking for. If you see Avalon and ES300 on the road, however, you will find ES300 is more elegant.
  • Options
    If Tony(tonym12) finds the ES300 so elegant and the Avalon a step below the ES300, WHY is he choosing between an Avalon and an I30 (post 965)as his next vehicle? Seems like he should go straight to the Lexus dealer.

If all the people that post their ES300 preference over the Avalon would go buy an ES300, Toyota will be very happy and they will be posting their opinions elsewhere.
  • Options
    The ES 300 I sat in had very little head room. That was the basis for my decision, comfort.
  • Options
    I looked at both the ES300 and the Avalon before deciding on a 2001 Avalon XL with leather. I don't agree that the Lexus is more luxurious than the Avalon or even that the Lexus is a step above the Avalon. Actually, I think the Avalon is more luxurious and the Lexus is more sporty. They both have the identical 210 HP V-6. The Lexus suspension is tuned sportier. Many of the previous posts seem to have bought into the marketing ploy by Toyota and have presumed that the Lexus ES300 is some how superior to the Toyota Avalon because of the Lexus name. May I respectively remind you that Toyota makes the Lexus too. In fact, apparently in Japan all Lexus models are sold under the Toyota name and the ES300 sells for less than the Avalon and is considered a step below the Avalon. It's all in the marketing. Personally, I think they are both excellent cars. I chose the Avalon for its expanded interior room and the fact that I was able to purchase the XL model with leather for substantially less than a ES 300 without leather. In my humble opinion, the Avalon is the best Toyota product that you can purchase for the money. If you need the recognition of owning a Lexus then by all means buy one. Either way, Toyota will appreciate your business.
  • Options
    I didn't consider ES300 because it is smaller than Avalon and I30. I do need a bigger car. However, I still think ES300 has better styling. Avalon achieves a huge interior at a cost of outside looking. I guess with <=$30K it is hard to get both. I'm still considering either Avalon or I30. Thank Donstack for your advice and sorry to make you upset.
  • Options
    tankfranktankfrank Member Posts: 13
    Anyone know a contact with a dealer to have a set of 2001 Avalon rims chromed on an exchange basis? I would prefer someone on the west coast. Local dealer wants $1,600 for a set and that is twice what I think would be reasonable.

I have been looding for a set of seat rail extenders for the 2001 also. Anyone have a source for these?

Tankfrank
  • Options
    dave92115dave92115 Member Posts: 2
    My in dash cd is stuck. For those of you familiar with this, the error is Error 1. The cartrige is stuck out, and wont come out whether electronically, or by pressing the manual tabs on the bottom. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    I bought my Avalon in May. I happened to read something on the internet. I learnt there is a recall for Avalon made in Jan 01. I called Toyota to check whether my car is on the list. Unfortunately, it is affected. Since the recall is released in March, I am wondering why they didn't notify me. Does anyone know how to deal it with? Can I return the car?
  • Options
    rbingrbing Member Posts: 8
    Hi there. I had been looking at 4 runners for months, until I rented an Avalon in Tamp, FL two weeks ago. I have fallen in love with the Avalon. I especially like the ride.... and interior styling... It is not the 4runner that I had romanticed about, but it seems roomy and very comfortable for someone my size at 6'5"

My question: Any ideas about differences between the two models? Thanks!

Bob
  • Options
    The XLS costs more. It has more standard features and more available options than the XL. Same engine, same suspension, same car. If you go to the Edmunds new car reviews you can compare the XLS price and features to the XL. IMHO, the XL is a better deal. You can load it up w/ leather, power seats, a sunroof and the JBL stereo and still pay less than a similarly equipped XLS. I paid $26,400 for a well equiped XL, you can't touch a XLS for that price. Good luck!
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Marshal is right, unless the climate control, engine immobilizer, rear AC vents, wood dash, 6 disc CD, 16" wheels, memory seats, heated seats, trip computer and rear map lights don't hold much value to you. It doesn't to many people which makes the XL a great value. Others are willing to spend the extra money for the creature comforts.
  • Options
    msumner1msumner1 Member Posts: 6
    Tank frank:

18 months ago I exchanged a set of stock XLS wheels for stock chrome XLS wheels at Big John's Performance in manta Clarity, CA (near nos Angles)818-254-1611. Total cost mounted and balanced was $125 per wheel.
  • Options
    msumner1msumner1 Member Posts: 6
    I'll post again as the spelling checker got me.

Tank frank:

18 months ago I exchanged a set of stock XLS wheels for stock chrome XLS wheels at Big John's Performance in Santa Clarita, CA (near Los Angeles)818-254-1611. Total cost mounted and balanced was $125 per wheel.
  • Options
    rbingrbing Member Posts: 8
    FYI: Thanks for responses to my query about the benefits of the XL versus the XLS. I will look for the comparison chart as well.

I really like the features on the XLS, but I agree that it is MUCH more expensive. In the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, there is a $750 rebate on Avalon's that will terminate Monday night, surely it will reappear!

With this rebate in mind, today, I was quoted a price of 30,000, plus TTL for the XLS and 27,644, plus TTL for the XL.

Bob
  • Options
    rzepa2rzepa2 Member Posts: 24
    While looking at Cliffy's email, I agree that most of this options are indeed options (what is an engine immobilizer?), still the rear map light should be standard (we are talking about those little light in the left/right corners in the ceiling above back seats- correct ?). My wife's, a 1994, $17K GM car has it as standard features.

As something which we did not really pay attention when test driving Avalon (and then purchasing it), she quickly discovered on the recent trip when trying to read a book. Could not believe it that 25K+ does not have "rear reading lights".

While I would still buy that car without rear "map lights", I am little disapointed that Toyota is "nick and dimming" on every little things.

On the side note, my office mate, recently wrecked his car, so the last week+ we spend test driving cars over lunch. Avalon was never his choice (he does not need size/room), we test drove 5-6 cars and he subsequently bought Acura CL (no the S type).

For me it was more exploring experience as my wife will need a new car in 1-2 years frames. Based on the options/price, I learned that Accord V6 is much better value than Camry V6. We'll see when the time comes.
  • Options
    The immobilizer is a factory installed theft deterrent system. The immobilizer system comes with two parts; a key w/ transmitter and a receiver. The ignition key has a transmitter chip which sends a signal to the receiver unit located around the key hole. If the receiver does not receive the assigned signal, then the engine will be immobilized (hence the name). Depending on the manufacturer of the system, the car either deactivates the fuel pump, cuts power to the engine, etc, which also prevents hot-wiring. It's a relatively new device, but it's catching on very fast in the States.
  • Options
    lstclaaslstclaas Member Posts: 4
    I have had a 2000 Avalon for about a year now. After 5000 miles, it developed a creaking noise in the center console area that matches pretty much exactly the description in Edmunds' road test: "An annoying and consistent squeak, much like a cricket's chirp, came from the center panel and drove our staff nuts. Regardless of the surface we traveled over, the chirp, chirp, chirp accompanied us, and it got worse when speeds increased." (http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/roadtest/44249/article.html)
    The car developed two more noises, a rattle in the passenger side front door and a popping noise in the roof, both of which were fixed by the Toyota dealer, but the console creaking never went away, even after the third visit to the dealer. I don't think they know what's causing it. It's very annoying, especially because the car's quietness was one of the main reasons for me to buy it... - Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • Options
    My 2001 Avalon has all the noises mentioned in Post #1000. I found those only after 500 miles. It is very annoying. I have read many complaints on the noises. Perhaps it is because Toyota did a very good job to isolate the interior from the outside noises, which makes the inside noises so audible:-(. I will probably visit the dealer and let them fix it if I am lucky.
  • Options
    ltd2ltd2 Member Posts: 14
    had my 2000 Avalon Xls for a year too, 13000miles,
    couldn't agree more with the previous comments on
    internal noise, annoying!
    ironically this is the car known for its quietness!
    my steering wheel squeaks all the time, dealer tried to put lubricant twice, quiet for too weeks,
    then came back again!
    some other squeaks and rattles are on and off..
    also noticed when making turns, some noise from
    around the passenger seat shows up.