Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Vinyl is best, but a turntable is difficult to install in your car. :P
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    In that case may I suggest a reel-to-reel tape deck! :P
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Ah yes, I still have an Abba 8-track in my closet. Those were the days...and only a fast forard button... the simplicity of life. :shades:

Getting back to the TL sounds....I love the idea of burning MP3's to the DVDa. Who needs XM when you have 600 of your own best hand-picked songs on tap?
  • Options
    fudgypupfudgypup Member Posts: 4
    I'm a '05 TL owner for about three weeks now. I'll most definitely renew the contract after 3 months. I have it in the Oddysey too.

I've had XM since 10/03 and really like it. I bought their stock at $18 and change but sold at $26.49.

I have two small kids and we listen to XM kids all the time. I actually like listening to it too. Often times I'll have already dropped them off and I notice that I'm still listening to that channel.

Radio Disney blows. There are too many commercials and their playlist tries to make a little slut out of your daughters.

I'm also a talk radio guy and there's plenty to offer.

Sure you get it breaking up under an overpass but it's not often and I get the same thing with AM radio near power lines.

I just wish it had an easy mp3 hookup. I'll admit if that was easier I'd listen to my own stuff a lot more.
  • Options
    Excellent post!!

If it breaks up, so what, it is not that often really. I find the comedy channel alone worth the monthly fee. :P
  • Options
    delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    If it breaks up, so what

It kinda sucks for me as I have three opportunities for it to go dead within 8 miles to work. One opportunity is where there is a long light wait.

As I mentioned....going to go with a renewal for the wife and kid. Me...load up the six discs. Unfortunately I won't be able to burn a dvd as I only have a cd-rw at home. Hmmm...might have to ask my I.T. guys to upgrade my work one as it is mission critical I get an upgrade...especially since I do sign off on all the capex :D
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,740
    Sorry, delmar. I AM one of your IT guys at work. Too bad I bought a TL and participate in these Forums or ya might have gotten away with it! As it is, I'll have to notify HR and Legal... ;)

Ok, I'm just an IT guy somewhere with a TL who participates in these Forums and doesn't even have a cd-rw. Had an mp3 player, evil wife took it away from me. Good thing she prefers her RX to my TL!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    I have a DVD player on my computer, does that mean I can burn a DVD?
  • Options
    Sure. A little gas or lighter fluid and a match and voila, burning DVD!

Only if your PC has a DVD writer, Nick. If it is DVD-ROM, no luck.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    This is why I enjoy reading the posts on this forum and keep returning. Not only do I learn more about cars, audio and other technology (all at the same time), I am also entertained. :shades: ;)
  • Options
    I don't know if I have a DVD writer,the computer is only about 8 months old, a Toshiba luggable lap top, it's a huge laptop with mucho power. Thanks for the info. :)
  • Options
    If it is a DVD writer, it would have come with some sort of burning software, such as Nero, or something comparable.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. :)
  • Options
    Geez...8 mo old laptop? That is getting kinda long in the tooth. You gotta get laurasdada to help you on that one since he is in I.T.

I decided that I wasn't going to fuss with burning dvds. Just going to load up the six cd changer...that will be sufficient. And going to try to burn a few compliation cds on the cd-rw..which will not have 99 songs...but have some 20 songs.

Side note... at my previous company...there was an arms race to get the latest in notebook PCs. So of course...a few of the regional sales guys would come back to I.T. with cracked screens. And laurasdada...I would make you proud. I wouldn't sign off on their CapEx and get them old loaners for some time.
  • Options
    billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Who is this evil wife you keep mentioning?
  • Options
    Evil wife is simply an affectation for my lovely, yet evil, wife! You, know, She Who Must Be Obeyed...

The one for whom I had to buy a Labor Day gift. As I'm sure all you good husbands did. Ok, she's evil, I'm dim... :(

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • Options
    Why, thank you. But I've already got one... :blush:

Evil wife thinks the TL is pretty and is scared by the power! There we go, back on topic!

• Options
    My lovely, but evil, wife loves the power of the TL, she has a very heavy foot. :P
  • Options
    nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    yeah, I also think american cars are junk...and they loose their value real fast!!... besides, it seems like standard proceedure that you need to be 55 yrs or older to own a vette...
  • Options
    yeah....which brings my question: Is anyone shelling out the $10/mth for the XM radio??...I honestly don't see the value of it....its just the same old junk as everywhere else. I would have appreciated an MP3 adaptor or player on the TL though.
  • Options
    Well you can now get a DVD writer for about $50 bucks... which is not as expensive as it used to be, and its easy to install on your puter.
  • Options
    I am shelling out $77 for 12 months or $6.42 a month for the "junk" you are referring to. For my wife and kid. It is ok for them....as they get a good variety. Commerical free. Get a chance to experiment with music that is unavailable from the stations around San Diego.
  • Options
    I agree, I think the XM comedy channel alone is worth it. Commercial free radio is great because most regular radio channels have waaaaay too many commercials. :cry:
  • Options
    I am starting to wonder if it is really commercial free-on some of the stations, there seems to be a lot of chit chattering among the D-JAYS.
    It really annoys the heck out of me.
    Actually, I was going to discontinue the subscription (in the Accord) but my wife begged me not to.
  • Options
    Perhaps it depends on which music channel and programming. I listen to the rock (deep tracks ch 40 with items which are not typically played on the radio, top track ch 46, xmcafe ch 45, lucy ch 46 with classic alternatives), Hits (mix on ch 22, kiss ch 21). The stations I listen to have one solo DJ and not many times do they even say a peep.

Perhaps it is dependent on music types which would have more chat.

For $6.42 a month...worth it not to have commercials dominating my listening time.
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    yeah, I also think american cars are junk...and they loose their value real fast!!...

Outdated thinking. I'd agree that American cars don't seem to give you the value (bang for the buck) of foreign cars, but quality is improving with all cars, including american cars. As for losing value, that's only because of those like you who automatically exclude them from their shopping list. With fewer people willing to buy them, the supply-demand ratio favors the buyer with lower used prices. Same problem with Mitsubishi (maybe not the Eclipse) - they make fine cars, and I'd advise anyone looking at Accords to look at a Galant b/c they don't sell well and you can get discounts when new or when used due to depreciation.

it seems like standard proceedure that you need to be 55 yrs or older to own a vette...

I think the vette is a great car, but I do agree with this assessment. I chalk it up to the younger generation (of which I am one) preferring the status of a foreign car, and the few that would buy American also get divided among sports cars and luxury SUVs.
  • Options
    if there is any conversation about the TL left to be had?
  • Options
    ptwellsptwells Member Posts: 18
    I'll save you pathost,
    What's the word on the '06 TL paint colors? Anthing new or different?
    thx!
  • Options
    That was discussed in the '2006 TL' board ;)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,533
    This will all resolve, once the '06 TL is out, and they combine the boards...

Hang in there, Pat!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    My father finally visited and got to drive my 6MT TL. He's a sports car enthusiast who's owned porsches (mainly 911s with the occasional 924 back in the day), 'vettes, a Delorean and a ferrari. Now that he's on the other side of 60, he goes more for luxury and most recently owned a Lexus SC convertable and now a Mercedes (forget which one, but it's a 2-door, 4 seater AMG convertable).

Anyway, he was absolutely amazed at the power-delivery and the smoothe shifting of my TL. Apparently, the real heavy duty trannies in the Porsches and "vettes are nowhere near as smoothe as the TL. He agreed that it's a great balance between power and luxury, and now he looks forward to borrowing my wheels on occasion (what a switch!!!).

He noticed some torque steer, but thought it was much, much less than he noticed with the 2005 Maxima automatic, which he drove when shopping for a car for my mom. Ultimately went with an M35x for her. They looked at the TL, but the ride was a tad too rough and the looks too aggressive.

Anyway, the point of this poste was not to discuss my mom's car-shopping, but to mention how nice it was to have my father admire my car - I've been an admirer of his cars for some time!!!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,533
    ... are just about the best in the world.... I'm not surprised...

Porsches and BMWs are a lot of work to drive, at times.... but, ultimately worth it... their strengths lie in other areas...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Great post to know of other perspectives.

Just out of curiosity...with so many TL buyers so pleased with the car...having migrated from other car types....where do everyone see themselves driving after the TL? Moving to a RL? Moving to a G or BMW 3? BMW 5? An econo Honda Insight?

(Pat...see...I am trying to get this forum going).
  • Options
    Thanks, Delmar. Since at the end of my lease, gas'll probably be around $6/gal, that Honda Insight sound sweet!!!!

Seriously, though, here's what I figure my options to be. It's listed in no particular order and I'm assuming that no totally new cars are created:

1. I'd consider another TL if it has a RWD platform (not interested in AWD - you listening, Acura? I don't even need more HP);
    2. If not, I'd consider buying my then 5-yr-old TL
    3. If the Infiniti M35 comes with a manual tranny, that might beat out the TL, depending on the $$$ and the technology
    4. Would consider a used BMW 545
    5. Would see what strides the VW Passat has made, but it probably wouldn't be sporty enough
    6. If the Volvo S60 came with a 6MT (never will), I'd look at that, too.

Right now, I think that if the M35 doesn't get a manual transmission, odds are I'd stick with the TL (new or current). What're your feelings, Delmar?
  • Options
    (Thank you. :))
  • Options
    BMW no, not enough bang for the buck, G maybe the coupe, but the TL is the likely choice if they keep making it the best value on the market. It really is a step, or 1/2 a step ahead of the entry-level performance sedan.
  • Options
    Which will be the next car purchases after the TL.

Well...I am really really pleased with my TL. In past model versions it came out second choice and this is my first. However...this has to be one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever driven....because of the true balance of performance, luxury, sport. So the 2005 TL become a benchmark for me.

Next car in the family will be where I trade in my BMW 745 (which was when I was burning big miles and needed a land yacht with performance)...and getting my wife a SLK. However...I might try to look at the Honda S2000 which I have ridden in and that is a blast.

For me when my TL goes away (I typically hold my cars for 5-7 years), I would look at the following sedans:
    1) The TL again as it will be in its next generation.
    2) Maybe a BMW540...but the problem currently is that I get all the benefits of the 5 in my current TL.
    3) Lexus G series. I find it an interesting choice and style. May not be as performance oriented at an Infiniti M...but it has some resonating style.
    4) The Lexus I series that is coming out in 2006 still seems like it would be on the small side...so it is more of a Acura TSX competitor...so probably not.
    5) Definitely no minivan or suv. Not my style because it lacks the performance I desire.
    6) Would consider a G35 if the rear seat was able to better accomodate. Car only seats a max of 4 people and the rear occupants are very uncomfortable and hitting their head against the window....almost like a RSX.
    7) Infiniti M....I know a lot are impressed...but I am not. Kinda too fadish and too many things to fiddle with. And the style just isn't it for me.

Well....that is my list. Until then...I will be enjoying my 2005 TL.
  • Options
    How about the RL? By then, if Acura hasn't killed off the model altogether, they will surely have tweaked, and upgraded it substantially to distant it from the TL. V8, 400hp, RWD or AWD perhaps will be available?
  • Options
    Thanks for reminding me...sure...the RL is on the list!

People have underestimated the RL. I would get that over the Lexus LS series. And what a bargain...for the low $40s.

'bodble2'...what are you choices for the future?
  • Options
    TL- only with cosmetic and drive train upgrade
    RL- as is- maybe a few more horses and torque
    GS 350 AWD- When it comes out.
    M35X- with tail light upgrade (only)
    540i- I want one so bad but its not a practical car here in Connecticut (for the summer it is)

I cant wait for next summer/fall when the fun begins- CAR SHOPPING.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    FWIW, I just replaced the tires on my 2004 TL 6-speed with 18,000 miles. I had the "HPT" summer tire package, with Bridgestone Potenza's. They still had some treadwear left - 5,000 +/- miles perhaps - but I had a slow leak in one from a bad nail fix and didn't want to go through winter with them.

The replacement tires came form the Tire Rack direct to my dealer. I went with Avon 500's, which are still a high performance W-rated summer tire, but with much better wet traction ratings than the Potenzas. Not to mention a longer tread life rating (260 vs. 140). At the suggestion of another Acura dealer, I went with 245/45's instead of the original 235/45's. The difference in diameter is less than 1%, so it does not throw the speedometer or odometer off (both of which read too high anyway) The slightly wider tire should help me avoid scraping the rims on curbs as much, but unfortunately that damage has already been done, in my case.

So far, on a return highway trip of 375 miles, I found the tires to be quiet and smooth and already notice a significant improvement in grip around corners and on wet roads. If anybody is looking for replacement tires, I give these a positive recommendation. I was prepared to spend $225 per tire on Potenza Pole Position S03's, but the Tire Rack guys steered me to these at $120 each.
  • Options
    For those that aren't familiar with the TL (those that have not bought but considering) the so called 'summer package' as mentioned in the post directly above...is an optional package. The main difference is in the type of tires and brakes. The tires are 'stickier' than the standard TL tires (which are 245/45s) and are expected to have lower tread life. That and the Brembo brand sports performance brakes are both expected to have a lower mileage before replacement because of their higher performance characteristics.

So don't get freaked out that the other owner only got the mileage indicated.
  • Options
    I agree with most of your analyses of these cars, but I think my new car is going to be a black G35 coupe. I love the handling, the feel etc. My wife has a TL, so if we need more back seat room for people we will use the TL. The M I just don't like, too big for my liking. BMW is just too expensive for what you get, and I can afford any BMW. However, I must add, BMW's are great cars. MB has great looking cars, but serious reliability problems.
  • Options
    My list of possibilies would include:

BMW 530ix, although I still have a problem with the styling.
    BMW X3 3.0 if it gets the 255hp engine and body-colored bumpers.
    BMW 330i, or more likely the ix if and when it comes out.
    BMW X5 if it doesn't get too big.
    MB SLK, or SLK AMG

As you can see, I'm leaning towards something German.

But if I decide to retire early, then a bus pass, or the Hyundai Sonata! :P
  • Options
    I think the TL resembles European styling. From the front it looks similar to an Alfa and from the side a BMW, very fine looking car. MB styling, however, I think is the best, modern but classic, just outstanding.
  • Options
    If your standard tires are 245/45's that's news to me. My 2004 TL 6-speed came with 235/45's and all other standard tires for 2004 were 235/45's as well.
  • Options
    Just read in the MDX forum about Acura/Honda's upcoming horsepower restatements to conform to SAE guidlines. The TL will be dropping rather significantly to 255 +/- horsepower.

Frankly, it's about time. I find my TL adequate in power, but it has never felt like it had 40% more horsepower than my old Nissan Maxima (190). And when I test drove it and matched it up against a 2004 BMW 330i preformance w/ 235 horsepower, the BMW is just as quick, if not quicker. The new 330i with 255 horsepower is indeed quicker.

Porsche seems to have the opposite problem. I recently test drove a new 911 coupe - base model with 325 horsepower. The acceleration is incredible and the torque, which is only rated at approximately 40 ft lbs (15%) more than the TL, is in a different solar system. The 355 horsepower 997 S is rated by Porsche at 4.7 seconds 0-60 but has been road tested by all of the major reviewers at 3.9 to 4.2. Under promise and over deliver. A Porsche trademark that apparantly Acura got reversed.

I am - and remain - a fan of Honda and Acura. But their former horsepower ratings were puffery at best, fraudulent at worst. No excuse. Period.
  • Options
    Black G35 Coupe, Nick. One word: Zaino.

Great choice, beautiful car.

My next car? Possibly the new Volvo C70 hardtop convertible. Four seats, FWD for my ski trips and a way cool (hopefully it works, unlike the Pontiac G6 from reports) three piece hardtop convertible.

I still find the ME E class a compelling vehicle, if not a compelling value. And, of course, the new BMW3, next gen G, maybe M. And TL or RL! If Lexus comes through with IS hardtop convertible that's on the list. Maybe a used Caddy XLR or MB SLK (yeah, I've got a thing for a hardtop convertible!). So many fabulous choices!

• Options
    I stand corrected....sorry....yes...they are 235/45. My Bad. While Bobdle2 is leaning towards something German...I was clutching something German. :confuse: And I was planning to get the 245/45 while I was researching in the past.