Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• Options
    carroncarron Member Posts: 1
    We recently bought a 2002 Honda Odyssey LX. After the first big rain, we discovered water in the cargo well. Further investigation turned up a wet grate on the right inside wall above the cargo area. We can't figure out how the water is getting in.

Also, the front passenger seat belt was wet when we pulled it out.

Any ideas?

Carron
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Could be many sources,

1.) Faulty/leaky rubber gaskets around the rear door
    2.) Faulty/leaky rubber gaskets around rear window re. wet grate
    3.) Missing or faulty rubber seal for a hole(s) in the cargo area

You can use a garden hose to wet the car around those areas and look for leaks.

Does the car smell musty? Any water marks inside or under the hood? I am wondering whether the car may have been flooded as well???
  • Options
    dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    You can ask your question over at www.xmfan.com bulletin boards on hardware and accessories. But all the XM receiver installation manual's I've seen says to place the antenna on the car roof at least 6 inches away from the edge. I guess either Honda or your dealer wants to cut down on the labor for the installation job and not have to route the antenna wire out to the roof and deal with a bad installation resulting in leaks.
  • Options
    sjvsjv Member Posts: 14
    We traded our 2001 EX with 89,700 miles on it on a new 2005 EX-L a week ago. I've be experiencing tranny trouble for the past 2 years! I had the Honda Care extended warranty but I was under the impression that Honda had extended the factory warranty on the transmission to 100k because of a "known" transmission problem. We went on a trip about 3 weeks ago, the tranny acted up again and coded with "Check Engine" light. We decided to trade when we brought it in for 90k service which would have cost us nearly $300 so we saved that. :D

After we traded in, I checked with my service advisor and he advised that the engine code was "complete transmission failure". :lemon: They have a new one on order before they put it on the used car lot.

Love the new car.. :D ..especially the vastly improved quietness, the moon-roof and the XM radio. We had a subwhoofer in the 2001 but the radio and speakers are so improved in the '05, we didn't need the S/W. :)
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I am really puzzled why you bought another Odyssey after having transmission troubles at a fairly low mileage on your 2001 Odyssey. I myself would have had serious reservations buying another Ody after that experience, especially when considering you are buying a complete redesign in its first model year.
  • Options
    Honda corrected the transmission problem in later year model runs and you answered your own question. The new car is "a complete redesign". I think they have fully recognized the tranny problem and it's been completely addressed in the '05. No worries! :)
  • Options
    nayraynayray Member Posts: 1
    You'll probably kick yourself but double check that the button on the "shifter" has popped out after you put it in park. For example, when you want to shift from P to R or D, you need to depress the button and when you have successfully shifted, the button is supposed to pop out automatically. When I first got my '05 Ody I was having the same problem and then I noticed that the button wasn't popping out all the way when I parked. If you "jiggle" it a little bit it pops and you can remove the key.
  • Options
    wdaveo1wdaveo1 Member Posts: 34
    The tranny, AC and power door problems make me nervous - plus I'm getting tired of driving around a van, so I am going to be trading my '00 EX (77,000 mile) for a CR-V.

Dealer has offered $10,000 for the trade-in. Not great, but more than I expected. Now I just have to get the purchase price of the CR-V down a bit.

Dawn
  • Options
    badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Well Honda has already had to add an external oiljet kit to their initial manufacturing runs of this redesigned Ody transmission, so new designs also can introduce new unanticipated problems, either in design or manufacture. Good luck with you new Ody, you have more faith in new model introductions than I would, especially considering their track record with you on the last Ody.
  • Options
    Sounds like a 5yr itch of ownership and the desire to look "cooler" in an SUV.

CRV is not a bad choice. It is the best choice as it is the most reliable SUV in its class.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    wdaveo1wdaveo1 Member Posts: 34
    Didn't realize I would look 'cooler' in a CR-V - but that's a great bonus!

Actually, most of my driving is just around town and I get tired of feeling like I am driving a bus. Still not ready to give up all the cargo space, so I figured the CR-V will be a good compromise.

Regarding that 5-yr itch - it must be real, because I get it every five years or so :)

Hubby never gets 'the itch', he will drive his '93 jeep until he has to push it to work.

Dawn
  • Options
    "Hubby never gets 'the itch', he will drive his '93 jeep until he has to push it to work"

Sounds like me with my 10+yr old Continental. It is well maintained, trouble free for the past 5 years, and should last a long time. It has no dents and looks like a 2 -3 yr old according to the garage technician during the last annual certification. All the bugs were addresssed in its early life.

But it feels good because I have not had a car loan in 7+years! Fogot how that feels!

I am thinking of a putting a bumper sticker, "Don't laugh. It is fully paid for. Is yours?" :)
  • Options
    khoakhoa Member Posts: 64
    blue smoke = oil getting burned. Are you prompt w/ your oil change? Especially if you drive very short trips.

You should have the dealer look at it and do a compression test.

Khoa
  • Options
    liujnliujn Member Posts: 27
    Wrong? I don't think so. VSA uses ABS to operate. In addition, 03 and 04 Odysseys, which were not equipted with VSA, have the same thump at 10 mph. Since ABS is part of VSA on 05 Ody, technically it is correct to say it is the VSA. Neverthless, ABS is more accurate to say.
  • Options
    Well maybe I should have bought a Nissan Quest then! Or maybe a Hummer? Yeah, It seems that I do have more faith in Honda's new model introductions than you. And as far as the track record on our 2001 Ody......s**t happens with any kind of car! You just gotta' get over it and move on with what is the best out there for you and not the critics.
  • Options
    susan9susan9 Member Posts: 2
    Here's an update on the noxious exhaust situation...

The dealer took it for a test drive to try and duplicate the problem. They said they saw a little puff come out of the exhaust, but nothing big. They called Honda, Honda said it was probably condensation in the catalytic converter, and don't worry about it. I told the technician that this was NOT condensation, that it was a HUGE cloud of exhaust, just like you'd see coming from an old junker car driving down the road. The tech said if it was smoke, we'd smell a terrible burning odor in the car (we didn't). I said I didn't think it was smoke, but exhaust. She said they are the same thing. Anyway, she said there was nothing they could do about it since none of the warning lights are on in the car. It sounds like they totally rely on all the newfangled sensors (and evidently, the car has a sensor for everything). If the sensors show there is no problem, then they don't believe me that there is a problem. They said they either need to duplicate the problem, or it has to show up on a warning light before they can work on it. I'm frustrated. And not sure what to do now.

And yes, khoa, we are meticulous about having oil changes done on time. We've had two done in the seven months we've owned the car. The car has about 6,500 miles on it. We just had the recommended 7,500 mile check done. I will call the dealer today and ask if they did a compression test. I don't know what that is, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

If anyone has any more thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate it. Right now, I'm feeling a bit sick about this. :sick: And I'm not sure what to do next - - maybe call Car Talk? :)
  • Options
    dudemizedudemize Member Posts: 10
    Hi,

I test drove a 2002 Odyssey EXL RES (48,000 mi) yesterday. I gave the transmission a good workout and it seemed OK. I don't know the detailed history on this particular car but it is certified so it comes with the 1 yr 12,000 mi bumper to bumper and the 7 yr 100,000 powertrain. I have read many of the transmission problems reported on this forum and it seems that 2002 was the year with the most problems. What did Honda change for the 2003 and 2004 model? I know this car has had all the recall stuff done, so should I still be worried about the trans? The dealer is no haggle and the price is $20,995. Thanks.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I'd worry about the price. You should easily be able to get that van for $1,000 less....including the warranty.$2,000 is you want to put some work into it.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    hampton1hampton1 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    hampton1hampton1 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry about the last message. Fingers are some times faster than the brain. Now for my problem. I have a '04 Ody and just recently it has developed a vibration. I started noticing it at about 24K. It started at about 38-40 mph and lasted till about 50 and than started around 55 and sort of faded away. First I thought it was a balancing problem. I balanced the tires and the problem still persisted. Took it to the dealer and they said it was my rear tires. They took the rear tires and swapped the with the front and they said that the problem followed to the front. They said that tires could have tread separation and it would be advisable to get at least 2 new tires. When I left the dealer I could not notice a vibration. Local store had a deal on some Michelin Symitry tires, so I brought 4 new ones. Well wouldn't you know it, the vibration was back after two days wit the new tires. Just as before. You could feel it in the seat. Well I thought that I got a bad tire. The store worked with me, to the point that we went through about 4 or 5 tires. The vibration was still there. I got fed-up with the michelins to the point of the store refunding my money and me purchasing a set of Goodyear Assurance. Which by the way are a great tire for the ODY, quiet and smooth. Well with all the tires that were on and off the van, the finger started to point to the van having the problem. So, back to the dealer. Got thier Quality guy to drive it and he agreed that there was a vibration but knowing what I just went through with the tires stoped short of admiting ther was a problem with the van. Thre was one last thing I could do to eliminate the tires and wheels. Have the wheels and tires blanced on the van. This was done and the manager of the facility drove the van. At first there was no vibration but the longer the van was driven the more pronounced the vibration developed. The vibration stayed from 39 to 49or 51 steadly being more pronounced. It even got worse when he ecelerated from 45 on up. He said that there could be only one reason for the vibration. A engine/transmission mount that was going bad. He has experienced this type of vibration before and it come out to be the mount. The tire store manager and the dealers quality guy are discussing the problem now. It will be ineresting what develops. For one thing the tires and wheel are eliminated. So the problem has to be in the vehicle. I'm wondering what the dealer is going to say and/or do. I don't want to get inbetween the dealer and the tire store during thier spitting contestl I hope the dealer is going to work with me and we non't have to go to an arbitrator. After going on with this tale, I'm wondering if anyone out there has experienced this type of problem. The way it looks is that the vibration is heat related becouse when you start with a cold van, there's no vibration. The longer you drive and the running gear heats up, the vibration starts and gets more pronounced as time goes by. It's a steady vibration between 38 to about 55 mph. I'd greatly appreciate it if some one would respond with like problems and most of all, solutions. :D
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I doubt if this is a transmission mount. I would bet anything it's the tires.

Also, when you type in one continous paragraph, it makes your post almost impossible to read!!
  • Options
    dominic313dominic313 Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently experiencing the same/like problem with a 2002 Ody with 70,000 miles. The vibration started after I had the brakes done and the rotors turned. I then had the rotors turned on the van and it still persisted but was not as noticable. They also told me it was the tires. The tire store now tells me it was coming from a bent rim in the rear of the vehicle - whatever. Then told me I actually had 2 bent rims and that should cure the problem. Eliminated the tires by putting new tires all the way around the problem still existed. Still - I find it very strange that the problem is this difficult to diagnose and correct. I doubt we'll purchase another Honda van again.
  • Options
    Very often, it is the symptoms and not the root cause of the problem that are addressed. Firefighting problems will not eliminate it; removing the root causes will.

If the rims are indeed bent and not replaced, it could cause those vibrations problems provided that the tires are balanced and not out of round. It aoears that the tire company just want a tire sale and could not care less about your vibration.

Bent rims, if they exist, are caused by the driver hitting a curb or going over deep potholes. These problems will occur with any car you drive, independent of its make.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,170
    >Well wouldn't you know it, the vibration was back after two days wit the new tires.

Do you mean that the vibration was not there for two days with the new tires? They cured it?

Do any of the dealers use the Hunter 9700 Force Balancer that compensates for tire uneveness in terms of pressure?

Michelins were a good solution. I might have picked a different tire than the Symmetry. They seem to wear a little faster on my car than I'd like.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    I've had experience with teenage sons getting stuck on mud roads and the mud was packed on the inside of the wheel. The vibration was obvious and continuous. A small amount of foreign matter could be on the inside of the wheel, but with all the tire changing you should think it would have been noticed. Sometimes a small "obvious" cause can be overlooked.
  • Options
    jjbnyjjbny Member Posts: 1
    Purchased '02 in past 2 months. Drives nicely, but Sometimes while driving, the D that stands for Drive on the display will flash almost like a turn signal. No changes in driving or ride at all, but it worries me. I don't know what it could indicate. Transmission fluid fine, everything else seems fine.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    did you look at your owner's manual (if it came with the used vehicle)? it's possible there is something wrong with the transmission or associated sensors. i think your manual tells you to bring it to the attention of a dealership.
  • Options
    odystarodystar Member Posts: 2
    Hi Dudemize,

About 3 weeks ago, i bought a Honda certified, 2003 Odyssey EX with 33,500 miles for $20,000.

You need to work with the dealer on the price. Best of luck.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I honestly can't believe what I am reading on this thread. Are you really considering buying a USED '02 van with 48K miles for almost $21,000. I realize Hondas are good cars(I've owned many), but that price seems outrageous for the miles and yr of the Odyssey. I recently purchased a brand new '05 T & C Touring model (completely decked out) for $23,700. I understand the T&C is not a Odyssey, but......

Good luck with your car shopping!!
  • Options
    myody1myody1 Member Posts: 3
    UPDATE: Just got a call from American Honda. The dealership is going to reimburse me and write it off as a warranty item. :D

My advice to anyone with this problem is to report it in writing to American Honda. You never know...
  • Options
    " I understand the T&C is not a Odyssey, but...... "

I know where your coming from. Having rented 60+ minvans in the past two yrs, mostly DGCs and a few loaded T & C thrown in new with less than 10 miles on the ODO, I am always glad to get back behind the wheel of my Ody.

The DGCs and T & C would do their job adequately but they provide no excitement , inspiration and enjoyment in driving compared to the sporty handling, spirited performance, and lively melodic sounding engine of the Ody. The other engines sound thrashy when pushed and just cannot cut it with the competition.

In the minivan category and when I am driving one at home, it feels great to be with the best in class. For me it is worth it. At $16K and $19K with rebates, you can get a new DGC and T&C, but these do not provide the excitement of the better performing Ody based on the 60+ rentals I had.

For those who are not prepared/able to spend more, the DGC/T&C would be an obvious choice.
  • Options
    leprekanleprekan Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 Odyssey and am experiencing the same problems. I notice the loss of acceleration and RPMS whenever I have cruise control on and when I am driving at a constant speed where my foot may let off the gas just enough. The van litterally starts to buck. Have you figured out the problem? I just had my 45k mile service to the tune of $260.00 and thought that would have cured the symptoms...nope :confuse:
  • Options
    masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Man, you are so right macakava. You need that sporty handling to Dodge those rocks that might puncher the air conditioning compressor. Your right about the Ody's excitement too as to how after several times you can close the driver's door all the way. And don't forget about being able to hear how windy it is outside with all the windows up. Who needs an elevator to pop your ears, just roll down the rear windows and there you have it. How about that for excitement. I'm sorry macakava, but I just couldn't resist. But for real though, I think the 05 Ody. is a great van. :)
  • Options
    dudemizedudemize Member Posts: 10
    I decided against this particular vehicle. As I said this dealership is No-haggle so that was the price take it or leave it, so I left it. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Good decision dudemize. Not having to haggle is hardly worth 2-3k. Though I wonder how many of these "no haggle" dealerships are truely no haggle. As, many that I see are "no haggling necessary"...key word being necessary.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    No problems, mon!

Never had to take my Ody back to the dealer for any repairs or PM, which I do myself.

Regarding "rocks" which any car is subjected to, I always leave home with "protection". No, not the latex rubber kind you are thinking about and highly recommended, but with my radiator and condensor wrapped completely with the window screen material. :)
  • Options
    lastwraithlastwraith Member Posts: 350
    This is quickly becoming my favorite thread...if not just for entertainment purposes. At least everyone has a good sense of humor, haha.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,655
    had an oil change today (on our '05). Had them lube the door seals too, and they relace the little plastic circle that goes with the bottom bump stop. We were getting a slight ckeaking on the driver's side door, hopefully this will cure it!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    leo6leo6 Member Posts: 1
    I need directions for replacing the front bumber cover on my 2000 Honda Oddysey - Help Please.
  • Options
    b_radb_rad Member Posts: 38
    Call H & A honda accessories (the banner at the top of this forum) and tell them what you need and they will fax you the instructions. Worked for me.
  • Options
    r_bearr_bear Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Today I have just purchased new Odyssey and I have also noticed the same noise. I think it is coming from engine. Were you able to get your car fixed? Please let me know.

Thanks,
  • Options
    lynnnlynnn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 odyssey with captains chairs in the middle row. I seem to remember that a middle bench seat was an option when I bought the vehicle. Is it possible to trade out the captains chairs with a bench seat, now?
  • Options
    rkbme2002rkbme2002 Member Posts: 3
    I've encountered that in my '02. Took it to the dealer several times, they put a "dynamic damper" from a V6 accord on the engine mounts to cancel this vibration. It seemed to work, but i don't think it made too much of a difference.
    I think they need to adjust the rpm's to be about 100-200rpm higher when cruising around 40-50 and in 4th gear. I was hoping they would have a service bulletin soon (no such luck).
    I also encountered this when driving a 03 Acura TL. If you have a "lead foot" you would never notice it. Only happens when cruising in 4th (40-50mph).
    If you know of any service bulletins let me know.
  • Options
    fatguyfatguy Member Posts: 8
    I recently bought a used 2002 Odyssey EXL and I love it! Such an improvement over my 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE. However, one thing I've noticed is that the digital clock on the Odyssey is not illuminated (the clock is working, but there is no backlighting). This raises some questions:

1 - Is the little recessed digital clock at the top-center of the dashboard supposed to be illuminated? I read back through the discussions here but couldn't find an answer specifically for the 2002 Odyssey EXL.

2 - If it is supposed to be illuminated, what part needs to be replaced? The whole LCD clock unit, or is it just a bulb? Or is there a fuse that controls the illumination of the clock separate from the clock itself?

3 - If it's not worth the money to fix the clock, has anybody had any luck with a cheap stick-on aftermarket clock that does have illumination? If so, where did you get it?

Many thanks.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Relax.....the bulb is burned out. an easy fix.
  • Options
    maryjane1maryjane1 Member Posts: 1
    took it into the dealer.....a back rear wheel speed sensor had gone bad....had it replaced and the lights havent been back on.........
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,655
    It's pretty common these days for cars to try and hold top gear as long as possible (for MPG reasons), which can lead to lugging, which sounds like what you are feeling. If you really want to have it rev higher at those speeds, you can always hit the OD off button (or put it into 3, not sure what your model has), which will cause it to rev higher.

Or, just drive faster!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    see messages 3893 and 3894 in this forum.
  • Options
    pallidinpallidin Member Posts: 7
    Have a 2005 Odyssey touring and find the Front seat Center tray not well thought out. The space below the tray is mostly unusable. I would like to replace the center tray with the 2nd row console, which is much more usable next to the driver for storing "Stuff". Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the center tray without having to remove the entire front passenger seat to get at the parts to remove the tray? The console will fit fine if I can get rid of that pretty useless center tray.
  • Options
    cameloguecamelogue Member Posts: 6
    2000 EX with 66K miles. Dealer would never admit to tranny problems. Finally took it to a different dealer (even without check engine code on) and they replaced tranny immediately. Can't believe I've had to put up with bad tranny for almost 2 years! :mad:
This discussion has been closed.