Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• Options
    autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    :confuse: I posted this in Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004 and want more answers by posting it again in this form ~ problems and soluntions
    The following has just started about a month ago.
    When I set the parking brake, before shutting off the engine this brake makes a 'sort of clunk'. The dealer says this is normal. If I really push I set it hard there is no noise. I have had new rear rotors installed 2 months ago..
    Another thing is I am getting a couple of groans or creaking when I get out of the van. No noise, whatsoever when I am driving. There has been no change in ride or response since it was new. It currently has 126,500 kms ( 76,777 miles) on it. At the end of May, I moved my daughter-in-law and her belongings down to Arkansas; a 3,800 km trip from Guelph, Ontario, Canda. The groans started about 3 weeks after the trip. It is scheduled for dealer maintenance at 130,500 kms; which is soon as I do about 2,500 to 3,000 kms/month.
    Does anyone know what the noise could be or has had similar noises?
    Thank you.
  • Options
    rwdavisrwdavis Member Posts: 2
    My mechaninc just mentioned the Odyssey tranny problems to me. He was at a training seminar and was told that Honda is putting in cheap fluid that eventually causes damage to the transmission. It begins to break down within 12 minutes once the car reaches operating temps. The solution is to use a synthetic fluid. It won't repair any damage up to that point though.
  • Options
    rwdavisrwdavis Member Posts: 2
    My mechaninc just mentioned the Odyssey tranny problems to me. He was at a training seminar and was told that Honda is putting in cheap fluid that eventually causes damage to the transmission. It begins to break down within 12 minutes once the car reaches operating temps. The solution is to use a synthetic fluid. It won't repair any damage up to that point though.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,251
    You sure your mechanic wasn't at a pre 2001Chrysler minivan transmission seminar? Sounds familiar. :lemon:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Sounds like one of those ill-informed types or maybe a laborer that is picked up daily at the street corner for construction jobs... :)
  • Options
    rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    The "Cheap Fluid" you were referring to, would it happen to be the Z1-ATF from Honda? I saw in the Honda Owner's Manual warning owners to use the Z1-ATF oil by Honda only to avoid any tranny problems.... Will using synthetic AT fluid void any factory warranty???
  • Options
    odytkoodytko Member Posts: 3
    We have an '05 odyssey and have had trouble storing the "magic seat" in the lazy susan compartment as the manual describes. We've tried everything. Has anyone else been able to store their 2nd row "magic seat" in the lazy susan compartment?
  • Options
    wrollerwroller Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my '01 odyssey passenger sliding door. The door will operate with the external handle (open or close). From the interior switch, it will close ok , but when trying to open I get 3 chimes and it appears to try to open but does not. It normally acts like this if you try to open the door when it is locked. Something is making the door think it is locked even when it isn't. I don't know what sensor is giving the bad information, or if there is another possibility. Thanks for any suggestions
  • Options
    rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    Anytime I have door problems (99 Ody) I take some very fine wet/dry sandpaper say 1000 to 1200 grit and clean the contacts on the door and on the sill or just use a rubber eraser on the end of a pencil. Other than that I might recycle the appropriate fuse.
    Hope you solve your problem
    rockycow
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Oh, how dumb rumors get started....

Total and complete rubbish!

Where do these people who actually train other people come up with this kind of stuff?? Downright scary!
  • Options
    domodomo Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone come across the rattling of the windows in the 2005 Odyssey. Put the front drivers side and front passenger side windows half way down. In my car you can't miss the sound that the windows are making. Curious if anyone has the same problem.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    When I set the parking brake, before shutting off the engine this brake makes a 'sort of clunk'. The dealer says this is normal. If I really push I set it hard there is no noise. I have had new rear rotors installed 2 months ago..

Long shot, but I will take a stab at this.... Your rear brake is actually two systems in on. The outer rotor acts as the main service disk brake. In the center hub is a miniature drum brake used exclusively as a parking brake. You mentioned that the problem started soon after having the rear rotors replaced.

Years ago, I had a shop try and pull off the rotors without first going thru the manual procedure of retracting the parking drum shoes. This is necessary to clear the rust ridge that forms along the inside lip. They stretched and distorted the shoe spring retainers, and the parking brake made a number of wierd sounds when attempting to apply them until I finally stripped it all down and fixed/replaced the damaged components. With things out of proper alignment, nothing moves as it should.

I suggest you find another shop and have them make an independent assessment.

Steve
  • Options
    aaaaaahaaaaaah Member Posts: 7
    I have exactly the same problem with mine. It feels like I'm going to break it and pull the handle off every time I try using those door handles. Both sides. Good to hear someone else has this experience.
  • Options
    aaaaaahaaaaaah Member Posts: 7
    the video is grainy. and the colors are washed out. I tried many DVDs. Anyone else had this experience? Or is this just the way in-car DVD usually looks?
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Ours looks quite good. Sounds like some settings are off or a defective unit. Compared to my wifes Lexus, the Honda DVD is superb. Except you can't watch it up front without making some modifications....
  • Options
    rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    Sounded like your "Child Proof Lock" is activated... If its due to a sensor acting-up, you may consider taking your Ody to your dealership, or else reset the system using the oldest trick (disconnect the battery terminal for a half to a minute, then reconnect the battery terminal); expect to reprogram your on board clock, preset radio stations, and etc... Good Luck!
  • Options
    denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    We've had our 2005 Ody since December but it has very low mileage (about 2,000 miles). This past weekend I was out with the family and had to brake fairly hard at two yellow lights. The first time I did it we heard a prolonged soft grinding sound. The second time there were a couple of hard clunks. It didn't do it again but I didn't have to brake hard again. Any thoughts? Thank you.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,718
    this was addressed recently. Scroll back a page or 2 and you should see some discussion.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    chiefbchiefb Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone one know what format of recordable DVD's (dvd+r, dvd-r, dvd+rw, dvd-rw) is compatible with the factory installed DVD player in my 2003 Odyssey ? I've just bought a DVD recorder for my home, and want to dub all my kids' VHS shows to DVD for playback in the minivan.

Thanks,
    Chiefb
  • Options
    jmnygaardjmnygaard Member Posts: 48
    Check to see if your child has manually locked the slider. My daughter does this quite frequently and I find it very irritating!
  • Options
    Sounds like proof/verification that the ABS brakes are working!! I have experienced the same with many vehicles under similar circumstances.
  • Options
    autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    Thanks everyone for their comments!
    I brought the vehicle in before the 130,500 km service to check on the clunk~noises in the suspension; but they found no problems. They checked tie-rods, ball joints, stabilizers, struts, ani-sways, etc. Of course, after the inspection, the noises were not there when I went out for a drive with the service advisor; just the parking-brake noise; that denver5357 said was a proof/verification that the ABS brakes are working.
    I went to Chapters Books where a book called "Lemon-Aid" by the Canadian Protection Association. They also publish books on new and used vehicles, by years. There is metioned in the Lemon-Aid book about badly welded frames in the 2002 odysseys. I could not find anything about this subject in Edmunds or other publications. :surprise:
  • Options
    breindersbreinders Member Posts: 23
    The VTEC spool soleniod valve needs to be replaced on my 05 EXL-RES with 600 miles (purchased on 6/30/2005). The engine sputtered and shut down shortly after being started and while it was still in Park. I restarted the engine and the same thing occurred and several of the indicator lights came on (check emissions, oil pressure, VSA, !). We had the dealer from whom we purchased the van tow it in. They called me back to inform me that the computer is indicating that the valve needs to be replaced (they must have received code 21 or 22 - I will ask).

Interestingly they believe it was probably not working correctly from day one and that possibly VCM was engaged the entire time - i.e. the van was only using three cylinders full time. Makes sense as I never felt that the van had much power. The reason that I didn't say anything earlier (and I know it may seem obsurd that I wouldn't have) was that I was following the recommended break in procedure by not fully pressing the accelerator - in fact I was using the accelerator very gingerly and never asked for much power from the engine but was assuming there was more there if I needed it. I figured I would find out for sure once it hit 600 miles and I asked for full power - pretty ironic that this happened just when I was going to do that. Now that I have a loaner van, it is clear my van was not running correctly - there is a lot of power output even with 'ginger' use of the accelerator. (I did test drive an Ody but it was hard to base things on that as it was a while ago and I was really using the accelerator during the test drive.)

Two questions:
    1. Does anyone know how much of the engine needs to be disassembled to replace the VTEC spool solenoid valve? Do either of cylinder heads need to come off - or just the cylinder head cover? I believe there are a couple of gaskets that need to be removed but not sure if they are the actual head gaskets. Couldn't find the procedure after several online searches.

2. The dealership is doing everything expected (providing a loaner, fixing it as quickly as possible (they are waiting for a new valve to arrive), communicating with us). But would you ask for something like an extended warranty as a result of this? I feel this may be warranted because:
    a. of the work that is being done on my brand new engine - will it be put back together as well as under factory conditions
    b. potential decrease in resale value if potential buyer(s) check the vehicle history and see it had problems from day one
    c. potential harm to engine from running non-optimally for 600 miles

Other perspectives welcome. A couple of friends say that I should return the van but friends always like to talk big when it's not their issue and they feel they are helping you.
  • Options
    Hey, if they admitted it wasn't working from day 1...then you got them. You didn't pay that much money for a defective van did you? Agree with your friends. Ask for another van...press hard for one. Maybe, settle for the extended 7 year bumper to bumper warranty.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    denver5357denver5357 Member Posts: 319
    I had read that, but remain concerned. I can understand one noise meaning the ABS are working, but there were two totally separate noises that came within the same 15 minutes when I did the exact same thing (hard brake). And the second noise was much louder and sounded worse than the first noise.
  • Options
    tnrailmantnrailman Member Posts: 2
    has anyone had problems with their headphones not working on the 05 ody
  • Options
    tnrailmantnrailman Member Posts: 2
    i have a o5 ody and the break pads have been replaced twice in 8 months.they are getting glazed over and making the grinding noise.the dealer says honda knowes about it.
  • Options
    jjtrindcjjtrindc Member Posts: 24
    Have had a small issue with my 2005 Odyssey Touring pulling to the right since I picked it up. After about 2500 miles and checking proper psi, the problem was still there so I took it into a local dealer.

Their solution was to rotate the tires based on the diagnosis that I had a radial pull. When I questioned whether they should replace the tire, they said that I had to continue to monitor the problem so they could isolate the tire before authorizing replacement under warranty. I unfortunately did not ask whether they actually checked the alignment on the machine. I'm guessing that they didn't

As for the drive home, it did seem better, while my morning commute felt like it was still pulling. Hard to tell whether it was the road crown.

Few questions:
    *Does this seem like a reasonable diagnosis and couse of action?
    *How can an average driver like myself best "test" alignment
    *Anyone have more info on what radial pull is?

Thanks!
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,179
    >Their solution was to rotate the tires

>it was still pulling.

Did they rotate the tires? Which was front to back? Left to right?

Was the pull still the same direction if they did rotate the tires?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    strekstrek Member Posts: 14
    Seems odd that they would rotate all the tires. Since it was noticeably pulling it would seem to be the front tires that were suspect and in that case they should have just swapped the front tires side to side.
    Did they keep track of the original positions of the tires. I don't see how they are going to find the problem doing what you have described.
    Sounds to me like they're hoping the problem solves itself.

Try the following link for an explanation of radial pull.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=12

Strek
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Buy your wife a gym membership :-). Seriously though, I found that you can't just pull on those handles, you have to jerk them quickly.
  • Options
    Just a couple of things to keep in mind:
    1. They require batteries that the dealer should have installed. I believe that there is an LED that will indicate when they have battery power and are on (they turn on automatically when the ear piece is swiveled).
    2. You must be behind the overhead RES console in order for them to pick up the line of sight IR signal. They will not pick up a signal if you are trying to test them while seated in the front seat.
  • Options
    marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    You sure your mechanic wasn't at a pre 2001Chrysler minivan transmission seminar? Sounds familiar.

I think it's something different too. Chrysler trannies with the tranny fluid they were using, didn't show up with problems for several years later and between 45-70,000 miles. Honda's transmissions were showing trouble within months of buying them. I would bet theirs was a design problem. Although I hear their new transmissions do use a much better grade of fluid.
  • Options
    lastwraithlastwraith Member Posts: 350
    Supposedly, Honda's problem was a subcontracted outfit that decided to not follow the agreed-upon design of a part they were making for certain transmissions. They made it their way and it ended up causing problems in the units it was installed in. Replacing the trannies with different units should easily rectify the problems. This is why the defect showed up so early.

As for Honda's tranny fluid, it makes for a much nicer ride in my Accord than whatever crap the person before me was putting in. I think the ATF-Z1 is excellent, but it is certainly not cheap in any respects. Whoever is saying it is cheap must not have much experience with it.
  • Options
    Dexron was mostly likely used as it is cheaper.

Comparing dealer only purchases, I believe the price difference is about $1. I bought ATF-Z! at $3.96 at mu local Honda dealer.

But since tranny fluid is not changed like engine oil, that price difference is not significant. But you have to watch out for garages who will use Dexron to save on costs at their advertized tranny oil change specials. The non-informed owners, especially women, are more vulnerable.
  • Options
    cwclarkcwclark Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Odyssey with 118,000 miles.

At about 110,000 miles I started to have problems with the transmission. The Honda dealership looked at it and couldn't find anything wrong. At 116,000 the problem became more pronounced. Dealer looked at it again and replaced the "3rd gear shift sensor". It helped but within a few weeks I was having the same problem.

Took the Van in today and had one of the service managers drive it. After about 1/2 mile, he agreed there was a problem. He stated it was the same problems others were having. They said they would talk to Honda.

Got a call back a few minutes ago and Honda agreed to replace the transmission for "free". Even though I was far beyond the extended warranty period, for some reason they agreed to replace it. :)
  • Options
    When should Honda replace a vehicle?

The engine is being replaced in my brand new '05 Ody (purchased on 6/30/2005 with 600 miles). The oil pressure went to zero in the engine and they can't figure out why. The Honda Corp. regional service manager has directed the dealer to replace the entire engine (long block).

I am extremely unhappy and concerned about this. Regardless of how good of a job the dealer's techs do at replacing the engine there are risks of problems down the road. I want Honda to give me a new van. They are only offering a 5/50 warranty on the new engine.

I have not found any legal backing for them to have to replace the van. I don't believe this falls under any lemon law conditions because they are able to fix the van. I would like to hear recommendations on how to proceed to encourage Honda to provide me with a replacement van. Who exactly to contact, points to make, etc. Thanks.
  • Options
    rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    I think you might be a tad unreasonable in wanting a new vehicle.
    If you found out that the car came with a defective headlamp, would you ask for the same thing?
    The engine they will install is NEW!! It is the same engine they install at the factory. What in the world makes you think that a NEW engine installed at the dealership will be any less reliable than if the same engine were installed on a defferent auto at the factory? If they wanted to drop in a rebuilt or a short block I would agree with you.
    Good grief. :confuse:
    After consideration, I think you may be more than a tad unreasonable.
    I will also bet that Honda is going to provide you with transportation at no charge while your engine is being replaced.
  • Options
    Thanks for your perspective. A little more about why my feeling right now is that a new van may be fair:
    1. I don't think this will be like a factory install of an engine. The quality control conditions aren't the same, it is not being done in the order that the car was assembled in the factory. There are a lot of components that are installed after the engine is installed that have to now be disconnected and removed and then reconnected. I know that the warranty is to cover these types of things but some not surface until after the warranty (a hose that is replaced slightly incorrectly and rubs agains a bolt and leaks after many years). This dealership has told me they have never replaced an '05 Ody engine so this will be all new to them.
    2. Mighten this decrease the resale potential a bit. It seems reasonable that a seller may be hesitant to buy a vehicle that the Honda service records show had its engine replaced on day one.

I am a reasonable person and I do appreciate your perspective (and no I would not ask for a replacement for a defective headlamp - that was insulting). Does this change your opinion at all?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Forget my username if you can. I've spent most of my life around a whole lot of shops including a mega facility I managed.

There is no difference between a "factory install" and one installed in the shop. Anyone with any experience will confirm this. Nothing bad will happen unless the technican is careless. Assembly line mistakes happen too.

This won't decrease your resale value one iota. Oh, it **could** scare away a worrywart I suppose but so what? Just sell it to the next person.

The fact they have never replaced an engine in a 2005 Odyssey doesn't surprise me since I've never heard of such a thing in ANY Honda. This will make no difference. an engine is an engine, a bolt is a bolt etc...

Once you've driven your Odyssey for a few weeks I'll bet you forget all about this.

Sorry this happened....strange!
  • Options
    dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    I beg to differ here. Engine replacement is a major deal in my book! I've been to MANY MANY automotive assembly plants, import (transplant) and domestic. There is a very logical process to assemble any automobile with workers given very specific tasks to perform in the right step. There are major body harnesses, engine harnesses, modules etc... that all fit together, routed and mated properly. I liken this to heart replacement surgery, and since, according to Isellhondas, this NEVER happens to a Honda, I'd be even more scared!!!!

I don't care how good a technician might be!!! A guy on an assembly line has only one or two tasks to do, the tech has to probably drop the front suspension, undo tranny, all accessories, wiring, ductwork, remove engine, reinstall, reprogram systems (body controllers, engine controllers, tranny controllers etc..) and numerous other things!!!!!

I'd demand a new one really!!! Let them take your's back, fixed it in their own good time and unload it at an auto auction. You spent a lot of hard earned money to deal with something like this!!!
  • Options
    I agree with dennis. Like I posted previously...the dealer said the engine was probably defective when you bought it. Honda isn't suppose to be selling Odys with defective engines that I know of. That they offered you only 5 years on the engine...and only the engine..is an insult. Exchanging an engine isn't like exchanging a battery or headlight. It is a very complicated process.

You should have been given a booklet, which outlines the proper procedures and channels to work thru for any grievances, when you bought your van. It should have Honda customer service numbers etc. Record all your calls on paper with the names and numbers of people you talk to.
  • Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    Honda has plenty of money from selling the Ody's with little or no discounts and you should not settle for anything less than a "new" vehicle replacement or your money back. People complain about not getting the simple things fixed when they take their vehicles in for service and now they want to remove most everything under your hood!

Call Honda of America and tell them that a replacement engine is not acceptable!
  • Options
    socalawdsocalawd Member Posts: 542
    I'd demand a new one really!!! Let them take your's back, fixed it in their own good time and unload it at an auto auction. You spent a lot of hard earned money to deal with something like this!!!

Not very many car companies do that!! But, a 7 year/100K warrenty would be nice! They should stand behind the product. If it's that good a product the 7 years should be a cake walk for them.
  • Options
    dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    But with only 600 miles on it???? I could see if it'd been driven 10k miles etc...but it's brand new etc.......I'd be screaming murder with Honda, my salesperson, any agencies.

It's totally unacceptable regardless of warranty offered. And what if you get a better warranty...is it transferable? What about a future Carfax report on this Van....what will it tell future buyers? Major engine replacement at 600 miles? The potential buyer could think "Hmmmm, did they abuse this one?"

No, only new would do for me!
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I don't think your request is unreasonable, or your concerns unfounded. My sister had a similar situation with her '02 Toyota Sienna. Her engine siezed within the first week, around 300 miles. It took a few phone calls, but the Toyota district mgr agreed that it was a totally unacceptable situation on a brand new vehicle, and replacing it was the right thing to do.

Engine transplant is a major ordeal. At 10k miles, you have to accept and live with it. At under 1k miles, you deserve better treatment from a car company that prides itself on building reliable vehicles. They should take the hit, not you!

Steve
  • Options
    rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    After RE-consideration, and reading the response from dennisctc, I more fully understand your concerns regarding a replaced engine. When I used a headlamp as a simile, I should have seen myself that you are dealing with a much more complex set of variables. The quality of the engine, as I stated, will be no different than what goes in at the factory. dennisctc is correct, however--the disassembly/reassembly of not only the engine but everything that connects to it provides an exponential increase in the chance that something will be done wrong and not show up for a long time.
    My apologies for the headlamp comparison.
  • Options
    is2002is2002 Member Posts: 2
    We've had our 2002 Honda Odyssey LX since Oct of 02. I just found water in the cargo well this week. I called Honda service (local) and they hadn't heard of others with the problem. We have had rain, much humidity, and much heat. I had been running the rear air on high. I originally thought my children had dumped a water bottle in the back. Sopping up the water did not eleviate the problem. Turning off the air seemed to help. It may be rain. The source on mine seems to be coming from the bolt on the right side of the rear seat. I'm suppose to take it in to have it looked at next week. I'll check my front passenger's safety belt now!

I'd love to know if you find out what it is.
  • Options
    aazaaz Member Posts: 2
    Yes, just month old Hoda also giving whistling noise. Dealer replaced windshield's seal. But still happening. Any suggestion what to do next?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Turning off the air seemed to help.

Perhaps the condensate drip hose for the rear A/C is clogged. Do you get a puddle of water behind the right rear tire when parked after running the rear air?
This discussion has been closed.