-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Honda Odyssey: Problems & Solutions:(1995-2004 Models)

Comments

• Options
    shannijshannij Member Posts: 4
    I have a 7 week old minivan that I have been really loving until this past week. First of the DVD player quit working and we took it in Friday and they had to replace it. The dealership had to order it so we had to plan another trip for the installation (not happy).
    On Sunday we got in and drove about 5 mins and realized that the a/c was not working and it was 90+ degrees in Atlanta. Anyway took to the dealership again on Monday and they kept it (giving us a rental on them) and told us on Tuesday this is not a warranty issue. The explanation was that the a/c line had been hit by a stone and thus was going to cost us $640 to repair. I was not buying this for a second so I got online and did some research and have found a ton of people who have had this problem with the '05 Odyssey. We had a GREAT sales person and contacted him and he got GM involved who suggested we call Honda CS. We did this and got a call that evening from the service mgr that this was a freak incident and they were going to cover as a one time thing for "good will" but what about next time? We did not fall in any potholes on our driving the day before as a matter of fact the a/c was too cold that day. Now we are concerned because we feel this is a design flaw - how do we go about making Honda acknowledge this and start doing something to remedy the '05?
  • Options
    championwchampionw Member Posts: 7
    I have a 05 odyssey EX-L. Recently I found every morning I started the van, the idle speed starts at 1000 RPM, and then will slow down to 700 RPM and stable there after several stop signs in about 1 minutes. Is it normal or something need to check?

I thought idle speed should be always same all the time.
  • Options
    library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    I'm seriously considering an Odyssey, but this a/c thing is worrying- and its a little confusing to me. Can anyone clarify if there a problem with the a/c design that causes failures on its own, or is the problem a design defect that allows stones to break the a/c system?
  • Options
    just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    This situation with the Ody condensor being hit by a stone and some people denying that there is a problem reminds me of the trouble some people were having with the Ody transmissions. At that time, some people said that they just came here just to complain, not really a big problem, not to worry. I believe this is a good indication of what is happening out there in the real world or driving and the Ody does have some sort of problem. A small object traveling at a certain rate of speed can do some damage, just ask NASA. I would not discount this problem as just an "odd" happening.

If you are not comfortable buying an Ody because this could happen then buy something else, you'll sleep better at night. Get a Mr. Grill or something to block small objects from entering the opening or keep paying Honda service each time it happens.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,880
    not sure how the insurance co. would react, since it is a mechanical issue. What if a piece of debris punctured the oil pan? Bust a wheel on a pothole?

Besides, that can still be a $500 deductible, if you are willing to make a claim. And since I live in NJ, we think hard about making claims, since the rates are high enough already.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Yes, it would be covered under your insurance. Just like if you hit something and punctured the oil pan or busted a wheel on a pothole. With $500-$1000 deductibles common these days, it sort of makes it a moot point.

I don't think it would "take a very hard hit at just the right angle" either. Most coolant/ac lines are rather thin-walled material and any rock of reasonable proportion at highway speed could bust the line. I'm sure there are some vehicles with similarly exposed lines, but from my experience most are not flat and wide-open to the world like the Ody.

I went the cheap route to protect mine. A wire mesh from the DIY store with some plastic ties and a can of semi-gloss black paint. It's basically hidden and doesn't look different than stock unless you get up real close. I'm not a fan of the Mr. Grille, but that's just me. I have put similar mesh on grilles on other vehicles in the past just to keep bugs and such out of the radiator. I tend to mod all my vehicles to some degree though. My Jetta diesel has a steel skid-plate on the bottom because a lot of folks have busted their oil pans on road debris/frost-heaves/pot-holes/etc. Of course I'm not sure I think a mod like this should be "required" on a run-o-the-mill vehicle such as a minivan. I'm not letting Honda off the hook, but it's really not a big deal to me. Someone that would have to pay a shop to do this mod should be upset.
  • Options
    cwclarkcwclark Member Posts: 2
    I believe they agreed to replace it because of all of the problems I've had with my 99 Odyssey. I'm not real certain. My Odyssey has been in for repairs (warranty) at least 25 times. Everything from the real wing window falling out and scratching the paint, the wing window motors replaced two times, sliding doors sticking, door handle on one sliding door breaking twice, drivers seat track being replaced 2 times, etc. I think you get the point.

My check engine light did start coming on more when I started having the transmission problems but it seamed to go away if I removed the gas cap and put it back on. However they did detect a P code error of some type that told them the 3rd gear shift sensor was bad so they replaced it.

I have always made certain I kept the dealership informed of all the problems.

I thought I was going to have to pay part of the transmission replacement but for some reason the zone service manager (if that is their title) approved the replacement for free.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    i guess i'd push for the new vehicle too. even if i had high confidence the people performing the repair do an excellent job, i'm hung up on a rather silly item noone has discussed yet...

VIN numbers. exactly what would be the VIN number of the vehicle? The VIN is supposed to be stamped on the engine block.

What is the future value to another dealership (Honda or other) if the VIN numbers for all the body parts doesn't match the engine?

I guess if I contemplated the resale value of the vehicle (and when you're buying a Honda you probably are factoring this in), exactly how does an engine replacement (even if trouble-free) affect the vehicle's resale value?

Even if a dealer doesn't go to the trouble of searching for matching VINs, what shows up on a CarFax report? How would that affect vehicle resale value?

breinders, why don't you ask that question in the forum "Real-World Trade-In Values" or "Any Questions for a Car Dealer"?
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Put yourself in the place of a prospective buyer 4 years down the road.

Personally, if I knew:

a. the original engine was replaced when the vehicle had less than 1000 miles on the odometer and;

b. the van has not had any other engine related issues in the following 4 years, then.....

as the potential buyer of a 4-year old used Ody, I personally wouldn't care one iota if the engine had been replaced when the car was brand new. I'm not buying that replaced engine. I only care about the condition of the engine actually in the vehicle, not the condition of the vehicle as it left the factory.

Matching numbers? It's an ODYSSEY, not a late 60's Hemi Cuda......
  • Options
    marysue2marysue2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Odyssey that has a low growl usually at around 40mph. It has also developed a clanking noise on slightly bumpy roads that sounds like an old truck. The dealer says they can't hear it because it comes and goes. They tell me they can't solve it but it truly sounds like an old car. This can't be right! Any ideas about either of these noises? It also vibrates slightly as if the wheels are slightly out of balance. But the dealer just rotated the tires and that didn't help. The service at this dealer has been great in the past but I'm ready to sell this van! HELP!
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    rorr, you write:
    Put yourself in the place of a prospective buyer 4 years down the road.

exactly what i was trying to do. while you personally wouldn't have an issue, and your argument makes sense, you are speaking for yourself. what is another dealer or mr./mrs. smith supposed to think? what carfax or honda dealership/network information will they have access to, and will it affect the car's resale value?

Matching numbers? It's an ODYSSEY, not a late 60's Hemi Cuda......

that makes the point. an ODY should have matching VIN information everywhere. one way to tell if a Honda has had collision repairs resulting in body panel replacement...check the VIN stickers. ;)
  • Options
    attilauyattilauy Member Posts: 32
    We heard noise /rattles inside our ODY 2005 first week we had it. We heard it every time we accelerate, decelerate or hit a bump on the road. It took us several days to pin point the source. My wife checked the inside of our van while I drove in freeway and city streets, staying from one seat to another. We finally found out the source...LOOSE NUT/SCREW which is supposed to hold the spare tire at the back of the van.

Maybe others have the same problem.
  • Options
    rmziprmzip Member Posts: 12
    I had the same problem a couple of months ago and was most noticable at 40 mph. Amazingly, my service guys couldn't hear it either until I told them exactly what the problem was....A bad wheel bearing. I actually had the service director at my husband's Chevrolet store drive it to make sure the problem wasn't in my head. He heard it right away and knew exactly what it was. Honda was quick to repair it once I diagnosed it for them and even provided me a rental car while waiting for the part. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    dennisctcdennisctc Member Posts: 1,168
    For those of you who feel that a new van is in order what is your feeling about sticking with the original van and getting the 100K warranty (assuming it is HondaCare bumper to bumper and not just the engine) and the 30K service?

Hmmmm tough call for me (thank god I don't have to call it :)

IF you're planning on keeping this a long time....say, 10 years.....it's tempting.

If you don't plan to - New Minivan period.
  • Options
    crimsonlizardcrimsonlizard Member Posts: 20
    Looks like I have the same problem. I've noticed some minor steering-wheel vibrations, but not enough to cause me to bring my 05 EX in prior to its first scheduled service. This weekend while on a short trip, I braked hard -- but not a panic stop -- to avoid a car stopped on the highway. I immediately noticed that the van wasn't running as well. I first suspected an engine or transmission problem - there seemed to be more resistance than usual and a more pronounced "hum" from the engine (which is usually almost silent). Took the car in to a Chevy dealer on Saturday who immediately diagnosed the problem as a bad wheel bearing on the right front. My local Honda dealer will take a look tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    rmziprmzip Member Posts: 12
    Interesting, mine was right front too.
  • Options
    jcyclejcycle Member Posts: 8
    I noticed this noice from day 1 of my purchase. Every time I start the engine and drive for about 50 feet, I hear a noise (something like spring released sound). This doesn't happen when I brake at signal lights and then go. This happens only after I stop the engine and start and then drive. I thought this has to do something with parking brake not getting released right away but happens only after I drive for 50 feet, so I parked the van so many times without parking brake but still I get the sound similiar to that of a spring getting released.

Any body experienced on any odyssey model?
  • Options
    marysue2marysue2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! I will take these emails in to the dealer and see if they can find what is wrong. They think I am just neurotic! I was ready to sell this van but I will try one more time to see if they can fix it.
  • Options
    What you are describing is a self-test performed by the ABS system. It is performed every time you restart the car and put it in motion. Every Odyssey does this although the amount of noise produced (or the sensitivity of the owner's ears) seems to vary from vehicle to vehicle.
  • Options
    ahoelscherahoelscher Member Posts: 2
    I have 5000 miles on my 2005 Odyssey and just took it in for the Whistling Windshield. My dealer said they have never heard of the problem but are now ordering new moldings. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one because the noise is driving me crazy.
  • Options
    aazaaz Member Posts: 2
    What molding are they going to replace. Make sure they do it right. Because, I have to take my car back to get it fixed. In my case they re-sealed the windshield. According to them some other vans also came with same problem. Unfortunately mine didn't got fixed first time. Let see what happens this time. If you find anything else about this noise please share. Regards
  • Options
    ahoelscherahoelscher Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 with 5000 miles on it. I get 16 - 18 mpg and my Honda dealer says I should be glad to be getting such great mpg. They told me most people are seeing 10-14. How can they be rated at 20-28 if "most are gettting 10-14"? I've been logging mine and I got 16.7 on my very first tank. I drive almost completely highway and after 5000 miles, I'm getting maybe 17.2 if I'm lucky. The ECO light comes on alot more now, but no improvement. Has anyone really found any solutions to this?
  • Options
    eaglesnesteaglesnest Member Posts: 2
    I just had a chance to take a look at our Honda last night. Just behind the passenger rear wheel, almost in alignment with the rear seat belt, is where the drain tube exits the vehicle. Ours was plugged with mud and debris. You will have no problem knowing when it is unstopped, just be prepared for quite a large amount of water.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out!
  • Options
    cabaistecabaiste Member Posts: 31
    Sorry to hear youre getting poor mileage. It appears to be widespread problem with the 2005 Odyssey - mine has just over 10,000 miles on it and is getting an abysmal 13.5 in mixed city and highway driving. I know three other 2005 owners and two are getting mileage in the same range (the third is getting 18-19, WOW!). HOA are unwilling to do anything about it. The dealer (Nanuet, NY Honda) is most unhelpful. I'll keep this sucker for another 12 months to lessen the depreciation hit and then I'm getting a Toyota. Will never touch another Honda after the miserable customer service I've gotten from Honda.
  • Options
    lsucatlsucat Member Posts: 1
    Mine does the same thing on the passenger side sliding door. I've had it for one month. I just got off the phone with the service department. Apparently a o-ring on the roller is loose and is causing the door to reverse. Now they have to order the part and I can pick the van up on Thursday. :(
  • Options
    oohaypuoohaypu Member Posts: 7
    I got my for about 2 weeks now.
    Drove to LA from Bay Area.
    400 miles to LA used 16+ gal.
    Back from LA used 18+.
    So, mostly high way and just passed 20.
    Way below 28.
    I didn't check all the messages here.
    Did anyone complain the road noise b4?
    Mostly tire noise.
    Very loud, worst one I ever had on any car, pick-up or SUV.
    Mine is EX basic.
  • Options
    campo2campo2 Member Posts: 1
    we have had problems with static in the headphones since the day we got our 05 Odyssey. Dealer replaced one set. We still have the same problem. We put new batteries in. We still have the same problem. Conctacted dealer again and are still waiting to hear from them.
  • Options
    ajonesajones Member Posts: 1
    Have you been able to figure this problem out? I am experiencing this right now and the dealer has not figured anything out. They are thinking I may have to replace the entire sound system. I really don't want to do this
  • Options
    mrs242mrs242 Member Posts: 5
    This is the ABS braking system engaging and running it's diagnostic testing. I heard the same thing and took my van in to have it tested as soon as I heard it. I didn't hear it the first week..kids talking, radio, etc., but when it was quiet I heard it. So I took the van in and had the Service Technician take me for a ride. That is what they explained to me. I only hear it when I first start the vehicle. After you have been driving it for a while it stops. But whenever you start back up it runs the diagnostics again.
  • Options
    mrs242mrs242 Member Posts: 5
    I am getting about the same mileage. We paid for a better and upgraded engine. We have a 2005 ES-L RES but our milesage is not that great. Our ECO light comes on a lot as well, but our mileage is hitting around 16 to 17 MPG. I am getting ready to take a road trip and we'll see how well it does. The dealer told me that Honda has a "tight" engine that's why the last so long 200K to 300K miles for a vehicle. That it will take a while for it to loosen up. Maybe 10K miles and we should see that mileage improve. We live in Texas and I run the AC, but an SUV gets almost as good of mileage as this.
  • Options
    marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    I am extremely unhappy and concerned about this. Regardless of how good of a job the dealer's techs do at replacing the engine there are risks of problems down the road. I want Honda to give me a new van. They are only offering a 5/50 warranty on the new engine.

I don't own an Ody, but isn't 5/50 more of a warranty than you get on their new van? I thought it was only 3/36.
  • Options
    ganryu34ganryu34 Member Posts: 17
    I have 2004 as well with similar problems. could you tell me if it is just the EGR problem? The dealer replaced my canister and I still have the "Check engine light?" :cry:
  • Options
    fireman176fireman176 Member Posts: 4
    Greetings, my 2000 Odyssey EX speedometer is showing 150 mph. Awesome speed, however I was only doing 35. It remained there even after stopping and restarting the car. Now, this is a gray market vehicle from Canada (the same place that made the US models :mad: ) and the speedometer was swapped out by the wholesaler. I have 65,000 miles on the car.

Is this a speedometer problem, a sending unit problem, or what do you experts out there suggest? If you think it is DOA, where do you recommend a replacement one?

Thanks in advance, Carl
  • Options
    fireman176fireman176 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, here are a few suggestions:

The EPA mileage is set in a perfect environment, altitude, level surface, temperature, etc. None of what we really drive in. Yes, that needs to change to reflect more accurate readings for each region. We get 18.5 on average and maybe 20 on the freeway. Of course those EPA numbers are probable at 55 mph. Nobody drives that slow on most freeways.

Swap out your tires. The factory tires are always the cheapest ones on the market. We use the best Michelin ones out there. I think they are called "One" or something like that. They really quieted things down.

Good luck, Carl
  • Options
    lapcopperlapcopper Member Posts: 4
    I'm taking my 2005 EXL to the dealership for the same problem. It's annoying to say the least. I hope they fix it right away.

Thanks!

:mad:
  • Options
    lapcopperlapcopper Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 EXL RES/NAV 5K miles and just noticed that some of the paint in the rear bumper is chipping out. I can believe it!!! For sure is not road rocks or something that has hit it. It could be the automatic car wash where I take my van but I had never had this problem with any car.

Anybody with a similar problem?

Thanks! :confuse:
  • Options
    mb05mb05 Member Posts: 5
    I just took my 2005 EX in for the same problem. They told me it was a service bulletin which meant they were made aware of it and to expect the Odysseys to come it with this problem. Here's what it is....when you lift the hood, there is a plate that the windshield wipers are screwed into. That plate is deformed and will lift and make a whistling noise. The dealer ordered a new part and fixed my van. I no longer hear that whistling noise. He said if the noise ever comes back, then bring the car back and its always covered due to the service bulletin. Good luck!!
  • Options
    vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    I have been browsing the messages in this forum. I am amazed that a brand new $30K vehicle can have these kind of problems.

Here is a collection of the headlines in this forum:

-Whistling Windshield noise
    -Steering wheel vibration
    -Poor MPG
    -Check Engine light on
    -Engine being replaced in brand new '05 Ody

I dont understand why people are buying this vehicle. My sympathies are with all the owners who have had the above problems.
  • Options
    vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    fyi-
    More than 85,000 minivans recalled to fix impact sensors for airbags.

Add one more problem to the already long list of problems. This Ody is turning out to be a Quality nightmare.
  • Options
    lastwraithlastwraith Member Posts: 350
    Ummm......it's a Problems forum, what else would you be expecting in here?

The Accord is basically the number one car on the planet and yet if you visit the problems board you will see that even the golden years (90-93) suffer from at least 5 very common problems.

Check engine lights can result from any number of issues, included something as simple as not fully turning a gascap. And the engine replacement is an isolated incident unless you know something we don't. Every vehicle has problems and this is where they ALL come to be dealt with. For every person on here with a problem there are at least 100 more that don't have any. Just keep that in mind.
  • Options
    Ummm......it's a Problems forum, what else would you be expecting in here?

Very true. I've always frequented the boards of vehicles I own and most vehicles will scare you if you read the problem forums. I've never found one that didn't have a certain number of problems specific to that vehicle. I can rattle off a few real easy of vehicles we own/have purchased recently:

Wifes '04 Lexus GX470: vibration at highway speeds, bump/thump when stopping, tire wear on certain models. We haven't encountered those problems, but had others.

'02 Tahoe: steering clunks and needs lubricated every 10k miles, fruity fuel gauges, noisy a/c condenser. We had all three of these issues.

As for the problems listed with the Ody...one was for a single engine that failed at 600 miles. Hardly an "issue", that's called an anomaly. When my family owned a Dodge dealership years ago, stuff like that happened. It sucked, particularly for the person that just bought the thing. Transmissions are the #1 item to grenade at very very low miles.

I've not had any of the issues listed above and the recall doesn't apply to my Ody. I'd buy another one tomorrow if I had to. Best minivan available IMHO unless up-front cost is your #1 concern.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Would be enough to make some people simply give up and ride the bus!
  • Options
    That's only because we don't have a "Riding the Bus: Problems and Solutions" thread....
  • Options
    Last time I had to ride a bus in a metro.....i think I could live with a Kia.
  • Options
    okc1okc1 Member Posts: 6
    Bought an EXL last week. Unfortunately, I had the same whistling windshield problem from day one. Took the van to the dealer. After three days, the service guy called and said they made a small crack in the windshield during the process and would have to replace it with a new one. He told me it's going to be as good as new, but I don't know if it's true. Any suggestions/experiences? Thanks!
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,251
    Three days on a windshield problem and then they call to say they cracked it and will put in a new one? Which will be how many more days till you get your van back?? :surprise:

Number one...I'd check the mileage and make sure one of the sales staff hasn't taken his annual family vacation in your van. Number two, did they offer to provide a free loaner van after their bonehead mistake. And number three, I'd find another dealer to repair my van if I were you.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    okc1okc1 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the advice. They did offer a free loaner.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Oh, let's just overreact and try to instill fear in people some more!

It's actually pretty easy to crack the windshield while removing the mouldings. One slip is all it takes and this happens to the best of technicians.

Do you REALLY think someone would really take a customer's Odyssey on vacation?? Where do you come up with stuff like this?

They offered a loaner, they are fixing the Odyssey, they are putting in a new windshield. What more could they do?

And, yeah...I guess it would probably be a good thing to find another dealer who NEVER makes mistakes. Wherever THAT is!
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,251
    I generally find your comments difficult to accept as your username infers an obvious bias.

The poster asked for some advice...I didn't think I had to run my reply to you and get your o.k before posting it. It shouldn't take 3 days to replace a windshield. Since it took them 3 days to get to removing the mouldings(and then cracked the glass)...it sounds like the techs/service dept. is unorganized & aren't very knowledgable.Knowing that it is so easy to crack a windshield would lead most people to be exceptionally careful when installing it. Poster is free to accept my advice or disreguard it.

okc1...you're welcome. And good luck with your windshield and your Ody.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    brucegt1brucegt1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Jcycle,

My Odyssey 05 EXL with 2500 miles on it has the same problem. My wife noticed it after we drove it home. It is exactly what you described, like a released spring under the transmission area. The noise came on about 50 yards driving away from our drive way. I have not taken in for check yet, just waiting for the 5k oil change. May be i should taking in sooner.

Let keep in touch on what our dealers fixes are.
    Bruce
This discussion has been closed.