Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    billbo1970billbo1970 Member Posts: 76
    NORMAL WEAR items are never covered by ANY manufacturer's warrant for longer than 1 year. Go to any other dealer you want. Read the fine-print on their warranty. I will bet you it say's it excludes normal wear items.

These are all normal wear items:
    Adjustments (by this they mean things like wheel alignment... things people knock out of whack alot), belts, brake pads & linings, clutch linings, filters, wiper lades, bulbs, fuses..."
  • Options
    what are you talking about? Who said anything about no US warranty? Your post title is quite misleading.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Billbo, you obviously want to start round #2.

I'm not taking the bait. From now on do not post anything aimed at me as this will be the last time I respond to you.
  • Options
    boomer77boomer77 Member Posts: 7
    I'll give Valley a call and see if we can work a deal. Much obliged.
  • Options
    oops, my mistake, sorry diploid. No, I am not trying to start round 2. The title of the post is still scary to any potential buyers. I stand by THAT comment.

Bill
  • Options
    Aren't there laws about this sort of thing? That's grey market. Whether Hyundai covers the warranty or not, I'm pretty sure the dealer is still liable. Then again, this may be state & not federal statute handled. I'd look into the legalities of that. In any event, this sounds like a shady dealer.

Bill
  • Options
    murrays98murrays98 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, I've had my SF for about a month now and have enjoyed it very much. I just gave it a serious inside/out cleaning after a two week vacation at the beach with a two year old. During the cleaning I discovered a potentially serious problem that all SF owners should check their vehicles for. My rear floor mats were installed on the wrong sides. When I took them out to vacuum I discovered on the bottom that they are marked Right and Left. Mine were backwards. Could be a serious problem if left unchecked. We dont want any floor mat related injuries. If anyone needs photos let me know. Later.
  • Options
    tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    >>. We dont want any floor mat related injuries...<<

Could you elaborate on that, please?
    How could a floor mat be a a potentially serious problem? I am very curious!

8/03/01
  • Options
    alan2001alan2001 Member Posts: 4
    "tb88",

Although I am not YET a Santa Fe owner (still gathering the down payment), I must say that murrays98's post really gave me pause. After hearing about this obvoius design flaw from the factory, I am seriously reconsidering my plans to purchase this vehicle! I think I will go back and look at/drive the Ford Escape & Mazda Tribute- at least the only thing I would have to worry about with these SUV's is the possibility of an engine/passenger compartment fire (fuel vapors/fuel odors) or serious crash-related injuries (NHSTB "marginal" frontal/side impact ratings)! Would not want to risk a "slip and fall" lawsuit against me by a passenger in the Santa Fe!! ;-)

P.S.- Go find your sense of humor tb88- I think you lost it somewhere.

Al
  • Options
    johnmeijohnmei Member Posts: 44
    Brochure states with V6, can tow up to 3500lbs. However, cannot find an e-mail site to get some precise questions answered from a corporate level.
    What is the final drive ratio of the AWD model? What is the GVWR and the GCVR? Cannot find info anywhere.

Has anyone had experience towing a boat or camping trailer with the AWD V6 Santa Fe?
  • Options
    Is anyone out there? Need some feedback!

Brochure states with V6, can tow up to 3500lbs. However, cannot find an e-mail site to get some precise questions answered from a corporate level.
    What is the final drive ratio of the AWD model? What is the GVWR and the GCVR? Cannot find info anywhere.

Has anyone had experience towing a boat or camping trailer with the AWD V6 Santa Fe?
  • Options
    budisitbudisit Member Posts: 6
    I am considering selling my 2001 White Sante Fe LX. The car is top of the line, every option including woodgrain. 5,000 miles is all but...This is the first SUV I've ever owned and I find I don't really like the way SUV's ride. I'm going back to a regular 4-door sedan with a regular carlike ride. If you're interested let me know. Thanks.
    buddy@yhti.net
  • Options
    guru101guru101 Member Posts: 15
    The specifications for the AWD V6 Santa Fe are:

Curb Weight: 3700 lbs.
    GVWR: 5250 lbs.
    Max Towing Cap: 2200 lbs.

I've seen the towing capacity listed as 2400 lbs., but this doesn't take the driver's weight into consideration. Also, I've never heard or read anything about the final drive ratio, so I can't help there.

It seems that braking is the issue with the AWD model, as the 2WD V6 Santa Fe is rated to tow 3500 lbs., and their difference in weight isn't even close to 1300 lbs. which is the difference in their towing capacities. I would suspect that one could tow more than 2200 lbs. assuming the trailer had its own breaks.

On another note, after 10 months of deliberating and comparing models, I put a deposit down on a Black AWD LX this past Thursday. Now I just have to wait for the dealer to get one.
  • Options
    TOWING & TRAILERING

Appreciate the response guru 101. The Santa Fe
    salesperson data book lists the towing with AWD as 3500lbs. Now I have heard or read 3500, 2400, 2200, 2000 pounds.

Maybe I'll just forget trailering. It seems like a well built vehicle. I intend to order an LX for 2002.
  • Options
    kcorcorankcorcoran Member Posts: 26
    has anyone seen photos of this on a SF?

can someone post photos of grill guards similar to the ruff brush guards on HDKautosport.com just not as tacky looing. hehe.

keith
  • Options
    bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    from Ssangyong(former SUV division of Daewoo)

My fahter serious consider buying this new SUV - Rexton instead of buying Santa-fe.

The main difference between SF and RX is structure.

(SF - frameless mono body RX - frame sturcture)

Also Rx has a 4wd system instead of AWD.

It is bigger and heavier a littile bit than SF is.

It has Mercedes 3.2 6cyl engine and all new Mercedes 4 speed A/T.

Ssangyong has a plan to launch this SUV in the state next year. Own dealers in the U.S have been already chosen.

Rexton - click 2002 new models spyshots

http://myhome.naver.com/mildbreeze/menu2.html

• Options
    ariellynariellyn Member Posts: 11
    Interesting that you replaced a totalled 1999 Chrysler Minivan...that's exactly what we did as well, but ours was a 2000. The ride and handling of the Santa Fe compares nicely to the Voyager we had, and the braking has a much more solid feeling. We liked the Voyager a lot, but we like the Santa Fe even better. And those safety ratings are hard to argue with. Maybe our green Santa Fe was one that you saw before you bought yours...we were in Vegas over July 4th. Anyway, good pick!
  • Options
    indylowflyerindylowflyer Member Posts: 148
    I just can't overlook how ugly the Santa Fe is, especially the front. How can anyone be seen in one of these? Not to mention the lack of reliability/poor build quality reputation. I have not driven one; is there some mystical spell that over comes you once your behind the wheel? Please don't tell me it will grow on me. Explain. Thank you.
  • Options
    I am to that crazy about the front grill myself, but I think the rest of the truck is beautiful! As for the reliability/quality reputation... Hyundai has been building better quality vehicles for a few years now, that's why they can afford to offer a 10/100 warranty. Do you really think they'd offer a warranty like that on a piece of crap?!? You really should drive one. I've never owned a Hyundai before, I've had a Mitsubishi Eclipse, a Toyota Camry, and a Honda Accord... I think this truck is built better than the Mitsubishi. It's built better than a corolla, but not as good as a camry, about the same quality of a little better than a civic. Crash test rating is AWESOME man! You really should take one out for a spin. I was SERIOUSLY considering the Mazda Tribute before I drove the Santa Fe.

Bill
  • Options
    lrchomelrchome Member Posts: 130
    What vehicle do you drive indylowflyer.
  • Options
    They had a GL V6 2wd---the sticker was $20,449.00...what gives? Edmunds has it at a lower price.
  • Options
    ariellynariellyn Member Posts: 11
    We are discussing *vehicles* here, right? I mean, its those pieces of machinery, that are essentially disposable, that we use for transportation, like a bus. They don't *appreciate* in value, like real estate; they *depreciate* in value, much like a lawn mower, and for the same reasons. Ya'll do realize, I hope, that you've got less than a 5% chance of still driving the same vehicle in 7 years, whether by choice or mischance. We bought a Chrysler Voyager about a year ago, expecting to drive it for 5-7 years, and it was totalled 8 months later. Now, that was a bad thing, but it gave me a chance to look at the Santa Fe, which wasn't even out when we had started shopping. That was a good thing, so I'm not terribly upset about losing the van. But, they're both *CARS* fer gossake. Ya'll have got lives, right? Families, friends, that sort of thing? Lexus, Mazda, Ford, Hyundai, Jeep, whatever, there's lots more important stuff than who's got the best car...like who you take *in* the car, and where you *go* in the car. If it looks nice and isn't a hassle, that's a good thing, but doesn't mean squat in the bigger picture. When my daughter totalled my new van, she was afraid I'd be upset cause I liked the car so much. I told her, "Cars I can replace, you I can't. I don't *care* about the damned car, I'm just thankful you're ok." I liked the van before it was totalled, I *loved* it afterward, cause she didn't get a scratch. I like the Santa Fe, I think it's a good value, and would recommend it to people for purchase. I hope it doesn't have to save my life or the life of someone I love, but if it does, I'll *love* it as it goes to the scrap yard. In the meantime, it's just a personal bus that takes me and the people I care about to places I want to go.
  • Options
    Last winter I decided to purchase either a 4WD or AWD SUV or Outback vehicle to traverse some steep hills and switchbacks in wet snow/icey roads of rural Maine.

Decided to investigate the Hyundai Santa Fe, Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape V-6, 2002 Ford Explorer, and the Subaru Outback Wagon with 2.5 4 cylinder engine, automatic transmission. These vehicles were selected because of decent reviews, price and value to some extent, capacity, handling, cruising at 65 to 80mph, quality and opinions offered by many on various net sites, and last in importance trailering or towing ability. I currently own a Toyota Avalon and an 18+ year old 4 x 4 3/4 ton pickup rusty which is hardly used but operable.

My wife and I drove each "test" vehicle at least twice in different weather conditions. Here are our biased opinions.

My wife thought the 2002 Ford Explorer had no real styling as compared to the Santa Fe at the other end of the spectrum, for example. The Explorer she thought looks like a box. She thought it lacked power and its mass above 70mph makes the engine work to maintain that speed or a greater speed. We also thought the interior was okay but nothing special and that the coin holder was basically unusable while driving. Fit and finish seemed good; however the vehicle handled like a big lumbering oaf. We decided it was too large for us, got fairly poor gas mileage, lacked styling inside and out and probably would have difficulty getting out of its own way in an emergency handling situation and had Ford "reliability" or lack thereof. Lastly, the Explorer XLT (2001 version in this instance)is a 4WD vehicle not an AWD vehicle and the Subaru Outback Wagon beats ALL in the snow. NO CONTEST. Last winter I test drove the 2001 Outback in an empty mall parking lot which was basically sheet ice and hard packed wet snow. I COULD NOT GET THE OUTBACK TO GO INTO AN UNCONTROLLED SPIN NO MATTER HOW I TRIED TO ABUSE THIS VEHICLE. I MEAN IT! TALK ABOUT GIVING A PERSON CONFIDENCE!

We then drove the 4WD Mazda Tribute V6 and Ford Escape V6. We both were impressed with the power. It is a lively vehicle to say the least. However it is NOT an AWD but a 4WD vehicle and will not perform as well as an Outback in the snow. It emits a fair amount of engine and road noise. As all SUV it does not give us the feeling of safety or confidence in an emergency handing situation with the center of gravity significantly high. Perhaps a great view of the road in a SUV but I don't want to flip if I have to perform an emergency swerve. In additon to the powerplant another strong point is the Tribute's/Escape's 3500 lb. towing capacity compared to the Subaru's 2000 pound capacity. Gas mileage fairly decent, interior straightforward and plain vanilla. The Tribute's/Escape's doors seems to lack any heft and felt rather "tinny" which probably added to the road noise.

The Santa Fe AWD in our view wins the exterior and interior design award. We drove 2 different AWD Santa Fes. We were very impressed. The ride was excellent and was similar to the ride we experience in our Toyota Avalon. The fit and finish were excellent. For an SUV there was a minimum of lateral swaying. The engine could use more power and it supposedly doesn't tow over 1500 pounds in the AWD model. It is VERY WELL EQUIPPED. However, the down side is that there was a noticeable smell similar to something burning when we existed one of the 2 vehicles. The salesperson tried to blow it off but we found similar comments re the Santa Fe on the net. Further we decided against it because of few dealers and limited dealer support, very limited numbers of Santa Fes for the marketplace and in many cases a premium of $1000 added to the MSRP. NO THANK YOU. I AM NOT A FOOL. However, I do believe that Hyundai is a real comer in the global quality marketplace.

All in all, the Subaru Outback looks and feels like a quality vehicle. It rides and handles superbly. The interior is tasteful and appealing, bordering on plush, 2 tone dash with complimentary tan/creme colors and nice tan fabric seats. Fit and finish are excellent thoroughout. The specs are great. The OUTBACK is 14 inches longer (& more stable) than the Tribute/Escape and 10 inches longer than the Santa Fe. The 2002 Ford Explorer is only 2" longer than the Outback, hard to believe. The Outback has 4 wheel disc brakes and the Tribute/Escape do not. Pickup and accleration are certainly decent. The Subaru Outback can cruise better and handle the road better and has a better top end than the other vehicles in this comparison plus it gets far superior gas mileage and is the clear winner in snow/ice conditions. Thus we chose the 2002 Subaru Outback, tried and true 2.5H 4 cylinder engine, auto transmission, All weather package (including heated seats), comfortable rear seats, a nice heavy duty cupped rubber mat for the rear cargo area. I feel I am getting the same vehicle for around $23k that would cost over 30k if I ordered the leather seats and 6 cylinder engine. In my mind, a great vehicle and even better value.

Perhaps this evaluation will help a few folks decide.
  • Options
  • Options
    georgefarmergeorgefarmer Member Posts: 98
    My power window on the drivers side is all the way down and will not go up. The manual says if you use the main power window button in one direction and hit the another button in the oppposite direction the window will not go up or down. I may have done that accidently for a second but the manual does not say what to do to fix it. My dealer said to bring it in but he is 50 miles away. sure seems like there would be an easier fix. i wonder if disconnecting the battery for a second would clear it. the service tech said it may have burned out the motor but it was only for a second, i cannot believe it would burn out that easily.
  • Options
    I have a 2001 GLS AWD which my wife loves. She now wants a GLS FWD. Should we wait on a 2002 and when will tey be out and with what changes? Should we offer extra low on a 2001 to allow that its is about to be a year old?
  • Options
    I'm waiting. I went to look at the Santa Fe the other day and couldn't believe how much the dealer wanted for it. I did my homework before going there, and I knew the dealer was trying to pull a fast one. He had 6 Santa Fes on the lot. 1 4 cylinder, the rest were V-6 of 2WD and AWD form. If they were selling as hot as he had told me, I doubt that there would have been any left for me to look at.

I don't know what's going to change for 2002. I'm hoping that there will be a bump in power, that the 3rd seat rumor becomes true, and more chrome on the exterior (I want the tailgate grab handle to be chrome, just like the rest of the door handles). Also, I hope price doesn't increase by much.
  • Options
    lvgeographerlvgeographer Member Posts: 5
    Yes we did replace a totalled minivan with an suv. We didn't start looking originally at SUV's but we knew what we wanted. After my wife turned left in front of someone who sped up to beat a light, we knew we wanted something with weight to it, a hight seat for visibility (you've been to LV, so you know that every third family is Mormon and hauling 6 kids in a Suburban), good safety results, and a reasonable price. I looked at both minivans and suv's. We decided that the Santa Fe met our criteria best.

Regarding some of the post's here about the looks, the Santa Fe is not for everyone. I like the curves, and think it beats the boxy look of most suv's.

I agree with your subsequent post; we are talking transportation here. The basic issue is getting from point A to point B safely and reliably. A car/van/suv is a vehicle. If it gets you where you want to go, it has fulfilled it's purpose.

For those who are worried about the quality/warrenty issue, I have found that post-purchase service is more important than initial factory quality. Changing oil, belts, brake pads/rotors, rotating tires, and maintaining the recommended service intervals have been, in my experience, the best way to maintain a vehicle for long usage. So you know I have a little bit of experience in keeping cars running, I was the manager for various courier/armored car/atm service companies from 1980 to 1998. During that time we ran Chevrolet, Plymouth, Dodge, GMC, Ford, Hino, Nissan, Toyota, and Mazda cars, trucks, pickups, vans, and minivans. I like my Hyundai.
  • Options
    glssantafeglssantafe Member Posts: 1
    To all Santa Fe owners & want to be owners, with 35,000 miles so far, we love the truck more now then when we first bought it in november. Not one thing wrong so far. A BIG HIGH FIVE FOR SANTA FE...
  • Options
    hung0820hung0820 Member Posts: 426
    My Santa Fe is almost reaching 10k miles but all I can say is that the car running much much better than when I got it too. Minivan and SUV have a little bit different term ride. The SUV is higher and do off-road much better than the Minivan. Therefore, when I bought the SUV; I also plan for off-road condition was well. Yes! Sure! The Minivan is roomier than the Santa Fe and can carried more people and cargo space but doing off-road is a question mark? Yes! If you can maintain the car at a right and good record; then the car will last a very very long time which I have mentioned before...
  • Options
    How much off-roading do you do? If I do buy a Santa Fe, I don't intend to take it off road. However, I wouldn't want the embarassment of driving in an SUV and then getting stuck in the sand.
  • Options
    That's why the Santa Fe offer the 2WD and AWD! Depend on the person need. I don't do very much either but sometime on the beach/sand and snow/ice for snow_ski and also off-road/camping in the mountain...Therefore, I choose AWD....For those who choose 2WD they are not tended to drive off-road but want to have the ability to do Utility Storage plus a High Ride....**Beside AWD is ride smoother and 2WD but then suffer gas mileage**
  • Options
    huynhldhuynhld Member Posts: 1
    I am new here and your message look very interesting. Would you please show me where to obtain more information on the Rexton, specification. Is it really coming to North America, I can't wait to check out this SUV. Thanks a mil.
  • Options
    I have GLS AWD but wife wants her own GLS FWD. What is the best price folks are getting on that lately?
  • Options
    bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    Well, to get more information about Rexton, you need to wait for one more month.From 1. Sept. 01, Ssangyong is going to sell this new vehicle. All photos I have were taken at pre-lanunching event.

The engine is M104 inline 6 - 217 HP.

Thanks.
  • Options
    friartuck1friartuck1 Member Posts: 2
    I have reviewed and test-driven most of the SUVs in Santa Fe's class (e.g., RAV4, CRV, Escape) and have decided to buy a Santa Fe. However, I would like to wait until the 2002 model comes out. Does anyone know for certian what date that will be? Also, do you know of a dealer in Alabama (alternatively Georgia or Mississippi) who will sell near the invoice price?
  • Options
    marsh511marsh511 Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I have narrowed our choice down to the Santa Fe and... the Subaru Forester. Admittedly, both of us liked the driving impressions of the Forester slightly better (we are definitely NOT used to the 'true SUV feel' of the Santa Fe). In fact, I'm currently an Acura CL driver, and my wife has been a small car driver most of her life. HOWEVER... the Santa Fe looks better and has LOTS of "value appeal" (wow, we can get so much for our money!). Most importantly, my wife, being an Interior Designer, has many occasions where it's convenient for her to tote over furniture (we're not talking hulking 4-poster beds, but moderate dresser and end-table sized stuff) to her clients.

We know the Santa Fe has 77 or so cubic feet of cargo space (seats down), but we'd like to know the LONGEST, WIDEST, and TALLEST hard object that can be put into the Santa Fe - taking into account the rear hatch opening, the not-quite-flat folded rear seats, and the wheel well intrusions on the side. I am hoping we can put something up to about 60" long, 32" tall, and 38" wide. Any help and information would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
  • Options
    shivelytshivelyt Member Posts: 46
    I'm really surprised to read that some dealers are still trying to get premiums on Santa Fe's. If your local dealer is trying to stick it to you, head on out west. Here, (LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas) dealers are advertising like crazy and discounting. Saw one ad for $15,999 delivered. Probably basic. Local dealer in LV has 12 on the lot and more coming in. Check out dealer websites or go to library and read car ads from out of town newspapers.
  • Options
    autoteenautoteen Member Posts: 12
    The santa fe has been out for half a year, so how is the reliability of it??? Still solid and smooth as the day you got it??? Engine harshness??? Any major problems??? Repeated trips to the dealer? Thanks...

Also, how is the build quality??? find any squeaks, rattles come up in the time you've owned it?
  • Options
    I keep hearing ppl waiting for the 2002 Santa Fe... whats so special about it? Improvements??? Whats up with it in 2002?
  • Options
    lrchomelrchome Member Posts: 130
    I have had my LX FWD for 10 months, and have 9,000 miles on it. The vehicle keeps getting better. The gas mileage has improved, and the handling have improved. The vehicle is as rattle and squeak free as the day I bought it. I have not been back to the dealer for any service, or anything. The vehicle has been perfect up to this point. I get 22 to 23 miles to the gallon in suburban driving and 26 to 27 miles to the gallon on the interstate.

I have no knowledge of the 2002 model, and know of no planned changes.

I hope this helps answer your questions.
  • Options
    Forester on Left and Santa Fe on Right:

Length: 175.6 |177.2 in.
    Width: 68.3 | 72.6 in.
    Height: 65.0 | 65.9 in.
    Weight: NA | 3720 lbs.
    Wheelbase: 99.4 | 103.1 in.
    Turning Circle: 34.7 | 37.1 ft.
    Ground Clearance: 7.5 | 8.1 in.
    Front Headroom: 39.6 | 39.6 in.
    Rear Headroom: 37.2 | 39.2 in.
    Front Shoulder Room: 53.5 | 56.3 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room: 53.6 | 56.5 in.
    Front Hip Room: NA | 54.3 in.
    Rear Hip Room: NA | 53.9 in.
    Front Leg Room: 43.0 | 41.6 in.
    Rear Leg Room: 33.4 | 36.8 in.
    Maximum Cargo Capacity: NA | 78 cu. ft.
    Maximum Towing Capacity: 1500-2000 | 2200-2700 lbs
    Maxium Payload: est. 1100 | 1350

**I pick this information from Edmunds.com Specifications. No matter what you want to compare the Santa Fe will beat it; in term of size, etc.***
  • Options
    Thanks for the information...
    Im looking around to replace my 1998 Nissan Pathfinder, this looks like a really good car so far, but then since its Hyundai, i have been skeptical, and the numerous little problems i hear about in the problems board is kind of a downer... Rattles, wind noise, vibrations, rotten eggs, chipping paint, rust...

The dealership is only about 5 minutes drive from my home, so i guess its okay...
  • Options
    peytonroadpeytonroad Member Posts: 27
    I have had my Santa Fe for 3 1/2 months, and I love my car. As for all the problems on the boards - my car has had only one - the smell. It seems to hit all Hyundai's - from what I've read, it is from a protective coating on the car. It has worn off considerably (more than considerably, it is gone) since I hit 1100 miles about 1 1/2 months ago.
    No rattles, shakes, etc. But, it is still a new car with less than 3000 on it.
    My father-in-law is shopping for a small car that will give him good mpg. He is looking at the Jetta. Now, if you want a car with a iffy track record...
  • Options
    When I was at the Hyundai dealer looking at Santa Fe's, every single one that I popped my head into had a smell to it. It isn't offensive, but it's not exactly that new car smell I've grown accustomed to.
  • Options
    Smell:
    In 1997 I bought the RAV4 and they do have the same smell as the Santa Fe when I bought early back in Jan. 2001. I replace my RAV4 with the Santa Fe. Pretty much I have the ride of the Santa Fe similar to the RX300. I rather compare my Santa Fe with the RX300 instead of the RAV4. The size is bigger and ride much smoother and quiet and well. Also can do more serious off-road compare to the RAV4....I really love my Santa Fe and almost reaching 10k miles close to my 2nd oil change..I will do the tires rotation at this time as well as adding a little bit more Transmission fluid as well..."In order to keep the car last longer; depend on the driver taking care of the car; that's my term".....
    1. Smell (Rotten Egg); Almost every import car do have same problem but they tend to go away..(That's not a problem to me)
    2. Rattles; this was happen on some of the 4 cylinders Santa Fe but the problem have been fix base on the timing belt situation...re-adjust the timing belt (6 cylinders; I have not heard about this problem)
    3. Wind Noise; Cause by the rubber on the windows (Not much Santa Fe have the problem but then it is under warranty and the dealer fix it for free; that's not a big deal to me; since I don't have this problem on my Santa Fe).
    4. Vibration; Cause on the high PSI tires that the dealer pump more than 40 psi (just change to lower psi 30-35 and help solve the problem). I don't have this problem on my Santa Fe either and I do believe on most of the Santa Fe written in this board as well.
    5. Rust; I even seen other car even rust worser than the Santa Fe. However, the rust are causes depend on the region you live. Salt water like me in San Francisco is an example; Near Ocean watch out...You know what I mean.
    6. Chipping Paint; (I don't have a chipping paint on my Santa Fe and I hope other don't get it but if you do I am sure that is under warranty to fix it at the dealer).
  • Options
    mikel12mikel12 Member Posts: 17
    I'm getting bad gas milage. The last time I check I got 19 mpg on 'freeway'. I only have the Santa Fe for 3 months and just got my first oil change service done. Can anyone suggest what I should do to improve my gas milage? Thanks
  • Options
    guyf1guyf1 Member Posts: 50
    I did take my AWD Santa Fe on beaches and on rough camps access roads. On a very steep hill in loose gravel no wheel slip at all, no problem in the sand either.

I have 22,000 km now and no problem, no rattle, nothing!!! Fuel mileage is improving slightly.
  • Options
    rleethalrleethal Member Posts: 11
    I've had my GLS V6 since May 2001 (3200 mi) and I've never had the rotten egg smell, no rattles or vibration, paint is fine and gas mileage is improving, up to 22 mpg 50/50 street/highway, no sign of rust anywhere, very quiet inside. I couldn't ask for a better vehicle :)
  • Options
    sen1sen1 Member Posts: 23
    I am in S. Florida were it is hot. Had my GLS since Feb 01, no smells, no vibrations, nothing but a smooth running vehicle. Dollar for dollar one of the best cars I have had in 53 years. And, that includes, Mercedes, Porsches, DeTomoso, VW, Ford Explorer (a 98 and a piece of junk), Lincolns, Camray, Honda (not bad),BMWs, Chevs, Mercury, Hudson, a 1932 Ford model B two door with rumble seat and a 1922 Oakland 4 door convertible. I would say this, this have finally learned how to make cars.