Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe (2006 and earlier)

Comments

• Options
    lexconnerlexconner Member Posts: 25
    A couple hundred messages back someone gave the website for ready to bolt on after-market hitches. Could someone please repost it. Thanks in advance
  • Options
    dreamwinddreamwind Member Posts: 44
    I've heard that Hyundai is adding two new colors, and I also heard a rumor that Hyundai will offer third-row seats.
  • Options
    hunter36hunter36 Member Posts: 29
    lexconner:

Check out: www.draw-tite.com

This is a 2" receiver and much beefier than the Hyundai hitch. Strictly a bolt-on job and super sanitary looking - only the receiver part can be seen below the bumper. It took me about an hour at the most to install it - and would have gone quicker with a buddy but my 'helper' was a floor jack and he wasn't always listening to what I was telling him..

You probably have a Draw-Tite distributor in your area. I found 4 within 25 miles of where I live and there was a vast difference in price between them so check around! Also, unless you're totally mechanically inept, don't pay them to install it because it's easy as long as you have a few basic tools.

Good luck!
  • Options
    alphansteinalphanstein Member Posts: 95
    check out etrailer.com, that is where I got my drawtite hitch as accessories, such as receiver cover, three bike holder folding rack and locks. Quick easy ordering and about 4 days for delivery.
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Some of my friends stopped over tonight to show off their new 2002 Santa Fe. They wanted me to help with getting a ski rack on it. They have the crossrails. I figured we'd just add either Thule or Yakima clamp-ons and attach the ski rack to them. But neither of the companies have a listing for the clamp-ons for the Santa Fe cross rails. Any insight into this? Or is there a ski rack available from Hyundai?
    -Jon
  • Options
    lrchomelrchome Member Posts: 130
    Hung my computer was wiped out and I lost all my websites. Can you post the website that had all the hyundai wiring diagrams and other info.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    This is only partially off-topic.

I've linked an article for the 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. The article states:

"First of all, it [the Tiburon] gets a real engine: a V-6 to replace the current 2.0-liter four-cylinder. The new 200-horsepower, 2.7-liter V-6 puts out 181 pounds-feet of torque and comes from the Santa Fe sport utility vehicle."

My biggest gripe with the Santa Fe has been its power (or lack of, rather). Now I know for sure that Hyundai can make a V-6 that can produce 200hp. I'm just wondering if this same engine will be in the upcoming Santa Fes.

http://cars.com/carsapp/national/?srv=parser&act=display&tf=/news/national/storytemplate2.tmpl

• Options
    aniryuaniryu Member Posts: 61
    a 2.7l that produces 200 horsepower? that's more than xg's 3.0l.. probably a mistake.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's about what Edmunds is predicting too, fwiw.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    bmcadoobmcadoo Member Posts: 17
    If the 2002 models have hit the market, why hasn't Hyundai updated their website with the 2002's specs and Edmunds, as well?

Is it because these 2002's on the lots now aren't the true 2002's? Everyone says there is no change in them from the 2001 models. Where are the new colors, rumored 3rd row seat, sunroof, etc??

I'm hoping this is the case and the newer improved 2002 will be announced soon. If not, I will look into buying a used 2001 instead of a new 2002. Might as well save a little cash if they're the same.
  • Options
    guyf1guyf1 Member Posts: 50
    I read a French Laguage press release from Hyundai Canada on a Canadian site. Their sales are up 55% year to date compared to last year. They sold more cars than Chrysler in Canada in July!

BTW I have over 26,000 km on my SF and nothing negative to report. Everything's fine, no creak, no rattle, nothing. Fuel mileage is better (or les worse) than ever. Fantastic headlights for night driving on unlit country roads.
  • Options
    Maybe those rumors are for 2003 models?
  • Options
    bpb28bpb28 Member Posts: 9
    We bought our 2002 SF last week and the dealer offered us the bumper to bumper 10year/100 mile warranty for $900. He said it is non negotiable and we can order it anytime in the next year. Can this be bought from any dealer? If so how do I go about getting their best price? I've heard of people getting it for $600 which would be a bargain considering it upgrades your existing warranty to include a free loaner car whenever the the vehicle has to stay overnight.
  • Options
    motormindmotormind Member Posts: 6
    Maybe Hyundai's not listing the 2002's on their website because they still have a lot of 2001's left on the lot. I know of 2 dealers in my area that both have at least 10 2001's remaining.

If there's no difference between '01 and '02, I may have to consider the '01. The MSRP listed on Edmunds is $300 less for the 2001 GLS 2WD than the 2002. Of course there is the instant depreciation as you drive the '01 off the lot...
  • Options
    guru101guru101 Member Posts: 15
    Ok, I bought a set of window visors from HDK Autosport. They're terrible. They aren't custom fit for the Santa Fe, so you have to stick them to the paint above the window instead of the rubber trim around the window. There was nothing on HDK's website to indicate that the visors they sell are of the generic one-size-fits-all variety. What I'm looking for is something similar to what I bought for my Chevy S-10. They were made by a company called VentShade, and are customized specifically for 98 and up S-10s. So, I've got two questions.

First, does anyone know how easy it is to return a product to HDK? I did open the outer package, but I didn't attempt to install the window visors. I could tell right away that they weren't what I was expecting. There's no way I'm about to ruin the paint on my brand new Santa Fe by sticking cheesy window shades on the paint, so these are headed back.

Second, does anyone know where I can buy a set of window shades specifically contoured to fit on the trim around the window? I checked to see if VentShade made any, and as of yet they don't appear to. Anyone's experiences in this area would be appreciated.
  • Options
    gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    I have owned my 2001 Santa Fe LX now since Mid June and I have not had any problems with it. I have almost 5000 miles on it and it is a very SOLID vehicle. The ride is very luxurious and very smooth. I get an average of 20 to 21 MPG. This vehicle is the best SUV that I owned. I had a Lexus RX300 before and it was a piece of junk. This Hyundai Santa Fe LX BEATS the Lexus in price and quality. I also have the extended 10 year bumper to bumper warranty for my vehicle so I am worry free about any problems that may arise in the future. This is the vehicle to own if you want quality, value and luxury. I am very very happy with it.
  • Options
    You chose a Hyundai over a Lexus?

They're not even in the same class.
  • Options
    Pleeaassee.. why would anyone buy a Santa Fe over an RX 300 if they have the money to do so? RX 300 does not suck.. this is coming DIRECTLY from an owner..
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    agree? Why throw money at Lexus when you can ride in a beautiful new Santa Fe? Lexus needs to be brought to it's self-serving knees. Hyundai wins. Again. Gtgtcobra-glad to hear from you again my South Korean car-loving friend! I'm a Kia/Hyundai lifer and the picture is only getting brighter. I say this even in the wake of the NYC and Washington, D.C. tragedies. People need transportation and our South Korean friends are doing the best and smartest designing and car-building right now. Bar none. Good enough for this dude. How 'bout you?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Been there, done that. This isn't a Lexus/Hyundai comparison discussion. Please take the flames to Usenet.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    and please stick to discussing the Santa Fe.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    We're not comparing a Hyundai to a Lexus.

The Santa Fe offers good value, no doubt about it.

But come on- calling a Lexus a "piece of junk" compared to a Hyundai- that's just a tad extreme.
  • Options
    xplociv1xplociv1 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone feel they got a really good deal on their hyundai? I really don't want to spend 23k on a new hyundai when I keep hearing it has a low resale value(plus noises and cheap material).of course I read all of this on another site, and I don't believe all I read of course.(I really like the warranty and price.) just figured I'd throw this at you guys to give me an overall on how good of a deal some of you may have gotten.
  • Options
    21k seems reasonable for the top of the line with V6 and AWD. At least that's what the sticker said when I went looking at this car.
  • Options
    According to JD Powers, Consumers Digest , and Me the Santa Fe is extremely quiet, and uses quality material inside and out.

I dont know where you got the false information.
  • Options
    Many reviewers were surprised that they were testing a Hyundai.

Fit & finish were just as good on the Hyundai as they are on a Toyota or Honda.

The only complaints were the 'weak' engine (which really isn't weak- the Santa Fe with AWD is just too heavy for it) and the hard middle seat in the back.
  • Options
    teajayteajay Member Posts: 2
    I just don't get all of the enthusiasm for the Santa Fe. The fist time I saw one, my eye caught it from a 3/4 rear view. I thought that a semi truck must have backed into the rear door and caved it in. Even after trying to get used to it, it still looks like it needs a serious trip to the body shop. If that is not enough, the proportions are way off, and looks like a beginner designed it.
  • Options
    Thanks for thoughtful comments, even if they were honest or dishonest.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Funny you should mention that 3/4 rear view, teajay.

Yesterday on I-95 I saw that view on an SF and for the first time I thought it was attractive.

Eye of the beholder. Which changes, apparently.
  • Options
    You question the enthusiasm for this car, and yet you state that you yourself have taken time to try and "get used to it"- seems as if you can't take your eyes off of it, as well.

And when you said the proportions are way off- which particular part are you referring to?

If it's directed at the curvaceous bulging hood, here's a hint: it was meant to look that way.
  • Options
    nate66nate66 Member Posts: 4
    Don't worry; teajay just prefers the looks of the Aztec.
  • Options
    gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    I really like the beige leather interior on the Santa Fe LX and I know from the web site it only comes with sandstone and green. I mentioned to the dealer that my color of choice would be merlot with beige interior. He said that I could probably special order this combination from the factory. Has anyone done this or know if this is possible?
  • Options
    hung0820hung0820 Member Posts: 426
    To Irchome:
    Visit my Website at www.y2kcatalogs.com/santafe and you will be able to see most of the article links and the HMAService site that you refer to.

To Everyone:
    Base on the 2001 & 2002 Top Model (LX); There are 2 different between the 2001 and 2002. The 2002 have a nicer and better engine cover and also available in Automatic A/C........
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    does anyone REGRET buying their Santa Fe? Is it really that slow, even with the V-6? Where is it slow? From take off, or passing?

Do we know, are there any changes for 02? Rebates? Incentives? I like the Tribute too. The Trib looks nicer on the outside in my opinion, but the interior is awful. If the SF would at least put some different wheel designs out there...it would be greatly improved. My opinion, of course.
  • Options
    watchingwatching Member Posts: 10
    Took the car in for service today to have the roof rack replaced. Asked them to check vibration at 60mph. After checking, they told me there is nothing wrong with car, but the tread on tires is not good. Said they have had this problem before on the 2001's. Have ordered two new front tires. Said they will be pro rated. Asked why I had to pay anything at all since they are defective, and I only have 5,100 miles on them. Was told I would have to take it up with tire manufacturer. Am not happy.
  • Options
    ghealeyghealey Member Posts: 5
    I too am looking at 4x4 Sante Fe. Is the acceleration acceptable to most? Does the tiptronic help?

Also, how is the road noise?
  • Options
    1equalizer1equalizer Member Posts: 11
    These things are subjective. I would say go out and test drive one and determine it for yourself. My personal opinion is that for the type of vehicle it is quite. Manually shifting the automatic transmission does make it quicker. I wouldn't mind more horsepower but I wouldn't let this stop me from purchasing one, of course I don't do towing.
  • Options
    xhardc0rexxhardc0rex Member Posts: 5
    I can't believe the value of the Santa Fe! Look at the interior design and
    the exterior plus all the little features Hyundai has put in. Where else will
    you get cool interior lights, a great folding rear seat, a nice cloth interior
    that rivals the cheap leather used on other SUV's (coughRAV4cough)?
    You know you've just bought a killer vehicle. I recommend you stay
    away from 4 cylinder and the AWD especially, the AWD is 400+ lbs
    of weight and is seriously lacking when not used for towing something.
    If Hyundai can do this well on a first generation SUV i can't wait to see
    what else they have planned. The engine noise is minimal and the sound
    system seems very adequate for a vehicle under $22,000. The shift-tronic
    transmission switches gears seamlessly and the handling is spot on ('smooth'
    for non-Brits like me). If you are looking for a lower priced SUV that
    performs well and looks nice, go for a Santa Fe. If you have further questions
    about this car email me at xhardc0rex@yahoo.com. I have owned one
    now for quite some time...I learn more about my cars then most people know
    about their spouses LOL!!
  • Options
    Actually the AWD system adds only 300lbs. And the leather seats are nice- too bad the middle seat in the back is hard.
  • Options
    That 300lbs add enough fat to the Santa Fe to make it have sluggish acceleration.
    The Santa Fe's "powerful" V6 is slower than the "weak" I4 found in the RAV4.
    Many magazines say that buyers should get traction control instead of the AWD system.
  • Options
    gsogymratgsogymrat Member Posts: 97
    The Santa Fe I test drove was AWD and I thought the power and acceleration was fine, especially considering we were carrying 3 grown men. I had read here and elsewhere about acceleration being an issue for the Santa Fe so I was paying attention to it. Plus I made sure to test it at highway speed. I came to the conclusion that either I don't drive my vehicle as hard as other people or reviewers are just talking about performance in comparision to other SUVs, such as the Tribute which is very zippy when you touch the accelerator. However I don't want AWD SUV anyway and figure that a FWD Santa Fe, weighing 300 lbs less, will be more than satisfactory in terms of acceleration. I would recommend people just test drive and decide for themselves.
  • Options
    nate66nate66 Member Posts: 4
    Aniryu stick an automatic transmission in the RAV4, and I doubt the Santa Fe would be slower. Also, you have to rev the hell out of that little four banger to get it to go.
  • Options
    mastrvmastrv Member Posts: 16
    I have heard this many times and don't understand why people say this and what they expect. Do they think they are getting a Ferrari? Or a Mustang? My comments here are with reference to my previous car/truck, a Jeep Cherokee Ltd with an inline 6 cylinder 4 liter engine and with my experiences driving my Santa Fe GLS with v6, AWD both in the city and on the highway.

The acceleration for my Santa Fe from a stop is average with me accelerating faster than others if I WANT too. The acceleration and passing ability on the highway is much better than other cars on the highway. The gearing and torque seem to have been designed for this. With my old Jeep, it was fast from a stop and on the highway with it's very large engine...and high fuel consumption. I bought my Santa Fe knowing the engine to be smaller (a 2.7 liter v6) but having enough power for everything I needed. I also got a fairly economical car with respect to fuel consumption and car cost at the same time. I bought my Santa Fe after comparing it to several others including the RAV4 (a little on the small side), Tribute and Escape. These are fine cars/trucks but I think they are not as refined (especially the interior) as the Santa Fe and not as good a value.

If this is the only thing people complain about, then I think this is the greatest ride and value in an SUV to come along in a long time.
  • Options
    Well I've posted a link that says the new Tiburon's V-6 can pump out 200hp and 181 lb-ft of torque. It just happens to also be 2.7 liters in displacement.

If Hyundai will just move this engine into the Santa Fe, it might just silence the critics.
  • Options
    According to Automotive News, the Sonata will get a 2.7l 181 horsepower engine for 2002, but it will get a bump to a 3.0l 192 horsepower (found in the current XG) when the redesign comes (in 2004, as mentioned by Bluewind).

Would the Santa Fe possibly this get engine too? Either that or Santa Fe needs to go on a diet.

Yes, acceleration is acceptable. BUT COME ON! How could a RAV4 be faster!???
  • Options
    1equalizer1equalizer Member Posts: 11
    I find the Santa Fe to be adequate for my needs in acceleration, comfort and price. The shifter with the auto transmission on the v6 gives me the extra boost I need when I need it. Then again I didn't buy it for speed nor am I hauling things. I agree with mastrv and others that have expressed the same feelings. I just bought a 2001 LX with all the goodies - paid 400 over invoice and got a bunch of dealer add-ons thrown in. So I got what I wanted at the price I wanted. I feel that in order to get the equivalant to what I have with this SUV one would have to pay a much higher price on anything else.... but then again that is why I bought this SUV instead of something else. BTW I don't have that weird smell others talked about nor the vibration and the noise level is very good for this kind of vehicle.
  • Options
    sofsofsofsof Member Posts: 23
    The black part of the inside trim on my Santa Fe is "peeling," (just like a sunburnt skin does, in terms of how it looks) Underneath is a shiny cheap-looking layer. I only see it in a couple of places - a little bit in the middle and a large patch by the door handle on the driver's (my)side. The dealer is very helpful and has ordered a replacement. He says he's never seen it before and couldn't explain it. He asked me if I used any creams. The only thing I could think of was a sunscreen lotion. I tried to experiment and put a big blob of suntan lotion on a "virgin" spot. It did absolutely nothing. No peeling.
    Any ideas? Did anyone see it happen in their car?
  • Options
    Where is the black trim you are referring to, the interior's are either grey or brown.
    I have an LX and the interior is grey leather.
  • Options
    sofsofsofsof Member Posts: 23
    My interior is tan leather. I was talking about the plastic dash (and sides) trim that's sort of greyish black. That's what's "peeling."
  • Options
    bmcadoobmcadoo Member Posts: 17
    I finally got to a Hyundai lot and saw at least one difference in the 2001 and 2002 models. It is with the LX. The 2002 comes with the automatic climate control. The 2002 LX is the only model to have it. All others (GLS, etc.) had the regular turn dials for heat and A/C like all the 2001's do.

I am disappointed that the colors haven't changed. They were out of the Santa Fe catalog books, so hopefully when I get that, I'll see some more new things on the 2002's.