Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    I would agree with Ken's comments except that the downshifting with cruise control doesn't really bother me. I've driven across Pennsylvania and West Virginia, both on I80 and I70/76. The 4-cylinder held speed really well, and the downshift to 3rd wasn't terribly noticeable without looking at the tachometer. The downshift to 2nd was definitely noticeable, but it didn't happen all that frequently. This was with 4 people in the vehicle and luggage for all.

I think this terrain compares favorably with other parts of the country, for example over the Smokeys from Asheville to Knoxville, Tennessee. But is there some way you could test-drive the 4 cylinder on such a route so you can tell first-hand if you'd be satisfied with the power under those conditions? I'd like to hear from someone who has driven a 4-cylinder across the Rockies, on I70 perhaps.

Several other comments: (1) I've never done it, but the owner's manual says you can tow stuff with the 4-cylinder; (2) The downshifting should cause no engine damage as it doesn't come close to redlining; (3) After a 3,000 mile trip to Indiana and back to Massachusetts, mostly interstate miles, my oil level was about midway between half and full on the dipstick. Driving in town for another 1,000 miles hasn't changed the level any additional amount. I'm about ready to schedule the next oil change.
  • alphawolfalphawolf Member Posts: 100
    Thanks. I wasn't considering the RX at all...was just curious about the differences.

I need the 3rd row seating.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    There is no automatic door locking on the Highlander. Strange since this feature is on the Camry.
    For those interested, I just got back from a 900 mile trip that was about 800 miles of either interstate or 4-lane non-limited access highway. I averaged 22.6 mpg and my last tank, which was virtually all highway at 65-70 mph was 24.2 (the trip computer said 25.1). I put in mid-grade (89 octane) for the 2nd and 3rd tanks. I have a 2004 V6 Limited AWD with about 10,000 miles on it.
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    Someone on another board said that Toyota has issued this for the Highlanders to stop wind noise
    - this is when the window is up all the way the glass pulls away from the inside weather strip and then you get road noise - but if you lower the window 1/8 - 1/4 inch the noise quits.

does anyone have access to this tsb to see what it says andwhat the fix is, and if its for this problem?
  • dawneedawnee Member Posts: 59
    Wasn't sure where to post. Wanted to find out owner of a Kia dealership, who is former owner of a Toyota dealership.
    Thanks
  • backlogbacklog Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2005 Highlander Limited with the Towing Option. I don't see any prewiring for the trailer, but the TO option should have prewiring included. The dealer says I need to buy a converter. Does anyone know the facts about this and where I should look for the prewire? I have looked all over under the car and see nothing.
    Why not call the general manager and ask? I don't know why it would be a secret.
  • ozzydogozzydog Member Posts: 3
    Here's how I found mine:

Remove the carpeting and trays from the rear - the pre-wiring is underneath, on the driver's side. You will heed the converter, as the Highlander uses separate bulbs for brake and turn signal, trailers use the same bulb for both.

Also, confirm with your dealer that their converter comes with the flat 4-pin plug. There are actually 2 converter parts kits out there. If you need a 7-wire plug (trailer brakes), that'll require yet another adapter. Nice that Toyota didn't bother to explain all this, eh?

I bought the hitch receiver from my dealer, it came with the converter and a flat 4-pin plug, somethinh to consider if you don't have a receiver yet.
  • backlogbacklog Member Posts: 2
    I find in the 2005 HL, the moonroof does not operate as stated in the manual. Manual implies that pushing the switch to "slide" will automatically open it almost all the way. Opposite toward "tilt". What I find, if you push the switch the roof moves, let go and it stops and that is it. Nothing like the manual. Anyone care to comment?
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    owner manual tells you how to activate the automatic function

or search this board.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Check the manual for--Moonroof Normalization--the dealer should have done this, but most do not. After completing this process the roof should work correctly.
  • hargiehargie Member Posts: 1
    I tried to remove the rear tray by pulling up on it but was afraid I would break something. Is there anything special I need to do to remove the tray. Also if you don't mind me asking how much was the dealer installed trailer receiver and does it stick out like a sore thumb?

Thanks
  • ozzydogozzydog Member Posts: 3
    Here's a link to the harness manual - shows how to get to the pre-wiring:
    Manual

As far as the hitch, I bought it from my dealer's parts dept. I think it was around $250. Since we have a professional mechanic in the family, I didn't feel the need to pay the dealer for installation.
  • tsculltscull Member Posts: 13
    your trip mileage sounds good but i'm wondering how you do in day to day driving. i'm considering
    buying one this year.
    My wife's drive to work is only about 3 miles so the car doesn't get fully warmed up in her winter commute. The around town winter mileage is only in the 14-15 mpg range in this type of driving. The fact that it gets close to the EPA highway rating on trips leads me to believe it could get close to the EPA city rating in more typical city driving.
  • phrosutphrosut Member Posts: 122
    Yesterday I had my krappy Bridgestones replaced with Michelin Cross Terrains. I chose those tires without ever seeing the tire or tread. I called Americas Tire Company (about 10 miles away), had them order the tires in, yesterday they called that the tires had arrived, I drove down and had them installed. I never saw what they even look like until I got back to the office. Our 2003 HL has 36,100 miles and those tires were down to the wear bars.

All the above is pretty unremarkable until I explain that I worked in the auto repair industry for decades, and many years were at a Goodyear dealership both as sales and installation (small dealer, you had to do both). That I would buy tires sight unseen only because of the comments made on this board is a testament to the quality of information here.

Thank you all (at least those that recommended the Cross Terrains).

Phil
  • me8eme8e Member Posts: 7
    Have had the same "PREWIRE" experience. :mad: .after a lot of questions at the local Toyota place :cry: ;NONE of the personell had an answer as to "WHERE IS IT"? :confuse: Finally went to their shop computer and located the "prewire harness"!! NOW...listen up folks;cause I'm gonna say this ONCE ;) The pre wire harness consists of ...ONLY TWO (2 ) plugs!!. one is a white colored ten (10) pin ...the other is a white four (4) pin. They are located under the rear package area ,behind the left rear wheel well on the driver's side.

You must remove the two side carpet covered floor panels, the rear plastic trim strip at the bottom the "trunk lid" Next remove the tool tray, then remove the left tray. Look for the two afore mentioned plugs May be hard to find (covered with tape) but they are there. The 10 pin plug will plug into the converter which you must purchase from Toyota part # 08921-48860 list is 65.00......... but negotiate.
    You must either fabricate or purchase the four connector harness from Toyota price quoted to me was $50.00. This four wire cable , plugs into your trailer connector. If you can find a 4 pin connector that will mate up with the 4 pin plug in the vehicle:then go to wally world...purchase the 4 wire harnes w/ the flat plug and you're in business....'cept fer puttin all the pieces back together...CAREFULLY... so,s not to scratch/damage anything. I'm gonna try to purchase a 4 pin connector plug and solder it to the 4 wire harness w/the flat plug purchased from Wally-world.
    By the way...I opened the converter and has an I/C pack ,transistor and some (isolating diodes??)...all mounted on a printed circuit board...all for only 65.00... BUY TOYOTA STOCK ! ! !
    hope this will ...help someone
  • mtrialsmmtrialsm Member Posts: 159
    My first roadtrip with 2005 4cyl. 1000 mile trip. 26,25 and 27 mpg.at speeds from 50 to 80 and a little stop and go. That was on hilly Interstate from Ga to Ky. and back. I'm pleased. Around town 22/23.
    I still find it amusing that the Highlander has a 140 mph speedometer! Same as
    Camry, stupid! It's also very hard to read the instruments in the day time, poor!
    But we like this vehicle very much.
    My parents new auto Carolla gets 42 mpg, why spend extra for a hybrid!!!!!!!!
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    That's great, mtrialsm! I just spent $43 filling up my Highlander yesterday, and it'll probably top $50 a tank before year's end. Good to see someone actually getting EPA Estimate-type mileage.
  • wingnutt5wingnutt5 Member Posts: 6
    Like your wife, I only go a couple miles to, and the car just gets warmed up about the time I pull into the garage in the morning -- live and work in the city. My mpg numbers were very similar to her 14-15 until I adjusted my driving style in the city. By easing onto the gas from a stop when the light changes and by removing my foot from the gas when heading downhill or when I see lights changing a block or two in the distance (anticipating the need to stop), I have improved that to about 16.5 and my brakes will probably last longer. Might not sound like a tremendous improvement, but the style-change gets me a "free" trip to work every week.

On the highway, I've gotten 22-25.5 depending on load, speed, traffic, weather, and terrain.

- '05 Ltd AWD
  • mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    I also have a 2004 V6 AWD Ltd. I get 19-22 on my mixed highway/local road commute including some stop and go.

Took a trip from Michigan to Maryland and back last weekend. Got 23.5 mpg on the way out and about 21.5 on the way back. (Way back was windy & rainy). Was a little surprised that the highway mpg wasn't better than that. I suppose if I kept it at 55 it might be a different story. I have seen mpg readings above 24 when traveling 45 to 55 consistently.

The computer's mpg readings are 0 to 1.5 mpg better than actual, depending on how much parked idling I do.
    The average speed of the EPA highway cycle is about 49 mph so I'm not surprised we can't get the EPA 24 mpg rating cruising at 65-75. I'm happy with the 22 mpg or so I get in highway driving but not with the 14-15mpg I get around town in intensive stop/go.

Your trip computer experience jives with mine although for me, it's never been less that .5 mpg optimistic.
  • snakehairsnakehair Member Posts: 120
    Our "01" V6 Limited gets 24+ mpg actual measured when on long (600 miles or more) highway trips at about 70 MPH steady driving (mostly on cruise). Around home in mixed driving, we get 21-22 mpg. Can't complain at all about HL mileage.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "We all know that driving a fuel-efficient SUV is a good thing to do for the planet. If you can get the math working in your favor, as well, it can be a good thing for your wallet as well."

Hybrid and Diesel SUV Roundup (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • rmanchirmanchi Member Posts: 13
    This is IT....people. The news I was waiting for. I wanted to find out if 2006 model year non-hybrid will be a major revamp. It will not be. The major change will come in model year 2007 which will apply to the hybrid highlander for that model year.

According to Information Edmunds' has:

2007 Model Year Highlander

======================================================

What Edmunds.com Says: The Highlander will become even more humanized in its next version, borrowing plenty of cues from the FT-SX concept vehicle.

What We Know: Scheduled to appear in the fall of 2006, the next edition of the Highlander will ditch its utilitarian design for a shape closer to the FT-SX concept shown at the 2005 Detroit auto show. Although its will grow in most dimensions, the next Highlander will retain a manageable, easy to drive size. A larger V6 is expected with output in the 280 horsepower range. Like the current model, it will be offered in both front- and all-wheel drive, with a hybrid option virtually guaranteed. A hybrid version of the current Highlander is scheduled to go on sale this June, more than two years prior to the fully redesigned version of the vehicle.

=========================================================
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I have been an "observer" and sometimes poster on Edmunds for several years, but not in the Highlander section. Within the past month I bought a 2005 Highlander AWD V6 with the "B" Package (which in Canada is similar to the US leather package I think). The B Pkg. includes leather seats and door side panels, 16" alloy wheels (5), wheel locks, leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter, heated front seats, power driver's seat & some other small stuff). I added the chrome side step bars, cargo tray, cargo net, front deflector and rear spoiler. I find the HL rather bland in base trim; but the "B" Pkg w the side bars and rear spoiler add some life to it. The color is Indigo Ink with Grey interior.
    I traded in a next-to-new 2004 RAV4 as the front seats, particularily the pass. one were just not comfortable. I still don't have many KMs on the new HL but I'm enjoying it a lot already - I find it very comfortable and like the look of it more each day. I was also seriously considering a Nissan Murano which I like the styling of but in the end, Toyota reliability, resale and quality won me over. I also read a lot of comments on the Murano on Edmunds and other sites that scared me off the Murano. My wife has a '99 Toyota Solara SLE coupe, V6, which has been an excellant car for us and that made the decision easier also.
    Later on the Fall, I will be getting 4 snow tires for it along with 4 new alloy wheels(not Toyota, aftermarket ones as Toyota wheels are too pricey). I hope to put many carefree and enjoyable KMs/miles on my HL over the next number of years. I passed on the Extended Warranty but may buy it before the 36months/60KMs window passes.
    The Highlander is a proven vehicle and, although conservatively styled, it is a very sharp looking crossover. I'm pleased.

PS - why I keep getting the US flag instead of the Cdn one is beyond me, I checked my profile again just 20mins ago and it showed Canada as residence???
    "I will be getting 4 snow tires for it..."

How much snow do you get where you are? I wouldn't rush out to get snow tires unless you travel a lot on road that don't get plowed. We had 77" of snow this year and never had a problem with the OEM tires (Michelins).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    PS - why I keep getting the US flag instead of the Cdn one is beyond me, I checked my profile again just 20mins ago and it showed Canada as residence???

You need to set the flag to Canadian using the "Preferences" link at the left of this page. Let me know whether that solves the problem.

tidester, host
    Tidester - I do know that and I keep doing it but it only stays a while and then defaults back to USA. It's no big deal but it didn't used to do that - this only started about 4 or 5 months ago.
    Well, true but - 1. I have Bridgestone Dueler 687s (I think) OEMs on mine and I'm not very comfortable with those tires in the ice and snow. 2. It's not so much the snow here but we do get a lot of "black ice" and near freezing sleet which makes the use of winter tires valuable. 3. Plus I believe in having 4 snows and not trying to "get by" on the "all seasons", which, BTW, tend to harden up in cold weather and are not good at all. I don't think the long term investment in 4 snows is much considering the price of the vehicle and the safety factor.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I've passed that info along.

tidester, host
    Thanks, Tidester.
  • idunnoidunno Member Posts: 7
    I'm the second owner of a 2001 2WD V6 Highlander. How can I tell if my car is equipped with the Towing Prep Package? Thanks.
    I think the tow package has a transmission oil cooler.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Every V6 Highlander can tow 3,500 lbs. All you need is a hitch and wiring.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Towing prep package includes: Transmission oil cooler, upgraded radiator, 130Amp alternator, trailer prewiring, engine oil cooler, 160 watt fan coupling, and power steering oil cooler.

IMO, it is worth having even if you never pull a trailer.
    I'm aware of what the Towing Prep package includes but how do I know I have it? What do these items look like and where are they located?
    Thanks again,
  • colmcolm Member Posts: 6
    Looks like I'll be getting 2WD LTD in Phoenix and driving it to Sedona, then home to San Diego.

I'm used to driving a new car pretty gently the first 1,000 miles, but the climb from Phoenix to Sedona, then the trip back across the desert in June kind of precludes easy driving.

Does it hurt a new vehicle to hammer through hills and heat?

Thanks...Rod
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Rod: It is my understanding that "break-in" involves varying the engine speed to avoid prolonged time at one RPM. Climbing to Sedona will definately do this, as the trans. will be changing from 5th to 4th and in and out of "lock-up" torque converter. ( I am from Southern AZ, so I know the terrain) Sedona is beautiful!

The drive from Sedona to SD will involve a lot of down hill at the beginning, and flat interstate for the remainder, perhaps 2/3s of the trip. Try to vary your speed, and you should be fine. I have an 05 Highlander that I bought in Scottsdale a couple of monts ago, and have almost 4,000 miles already. (A trip to vegas and one to San Diego really added the mileage)

Have you already established price and dealership? If not, read my post in the prices paid forum...it may help you. post # 1515

Enjoy your new HL, and keep in touch with the forum...lots of great folks here.

Jeff
  • colmcolm Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Jeff-

I guess I'm stuck in the old school mentality with cast iron cylinders, etc needing a significant break in period.

I'm sure the newer motors are fine with a bit of speed variance, that way I can still drive at reasonable speeds (75-80) during the trip.

I'm working with Camelback in Phoenix, got the 2WD LTD with all options except the two biggies, DVD and Nav (no reason for the DVD, and I can use Mapquest or Thomas Brothers for a lot less than $2K), for $33,600 OTD.

We live in Encinitas CA but own a place in Sedona, so I'll register it in AZ. The car is the same in all states in terms of emissions, but I couldn't find the color/options I wanted anywhere in CA (Oasis green/ivory leather without the DVD and Nav).

Take care...Rod
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    JBoltt,

I noticed on your other post that you were able to achieve 25 mpg at 70-75 with AC running. Is that consistent? I talk to others that claim it averages 20 mpg. I'm debating between HL V6 fwd and new Avalon. Most of my driving is hghway in Mid-Atlantic / Northeast region. Also, do you detect more wind noise above 60? Thanks.
    "I'm debating between HL V6 fwd and new Avalon. Most of my driving is hghway in Mid-Atlantic / Northeast region."

Our AWD V6 gets about 22.5 mpg on the highway so the FWD might do a little better. This is where the EPA ratings may be helpful. Although they won't predict your actual mileage, they should be fairly accurate on the differences from model to model. With the Avalon's 31 mpg highway rating, I would expect it to be substantially better than the V6 FWD HL at 25 mpg. The Avalon looks like it would be a terrific highway cruiser.
    I'm trying to verify whether my pre-owned 2001 Highlander has the Towing Prep Package. Can anyone tell me where the power steering oil cooler or engine oil cooler should be located?
    Thanks!
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    25 MPG seems to be consistant when it's all highway driving. Yes, wind noise is higher over 60mph, but not objectionable....for reference, my sons 01 Civic is MUCH noisier, and our 03 Camry is somewhat quieter. The HL is a quiet vehicle....considering it is the shape of a brick! But the seats in the HL seem to be more comfortable for us middle agers, then our Camry was.

I can see why the hybrids do so much better in the city, (some shut off the engine at stops) as I can watch my average mpg drop like a rock just sitting at trafffic lights....In fact, this week I had an appointment to meet someone, and decided it was best to sit in the car and wait...details unimportant, but it was 105 degrees outside, so I sat with the engine running at idle with A/C on for 10 minutes..Average MPG for that tank dropped from 22.5, to 21.1 in 10 minutes...there was 210 miles of "city" dirving on the clock at that point....

I still don't believe the initial cost of hybrids justify the higher MPG, hence my decision to buy the 05 HL Limited.....

Just my humble experience and opinion..... :-)
    I agree with you on the economy of hybrids. I knew the HL Hybrid was coming just around the corner, but just 28 days ago bought an '05 HL with the "B" Pkg. (leather pkg plus other stuff).

The other unknown with the Hybrids is the cost of battery replacement 6 to 8 years in the future.
  • middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    I own a 2004 HL fwd V6 and my parents own a 2000 Avalon. The HL has wind and tire noise over 55 MPH, similar to other SUVs. HL is great around town and in winter snow in upper Midwest. Avalon has an unbelievable amount of space in the back seat, similar to a limo. For a highway cruiser I would pick the Avalon. The choice comes down to a sedan or a SUV.
  • vishy1vishy1 Member Posts: 2
    I will be taking delivery of my new V6 AWD Highlander in a few days. Is a break in period required? What precautions do I need to take during the break in period? Do I need to do an oil change after the break in. The toyota recommended oil change is only after 5000 miles.
    Read the manual. As I recall, they suggest driving moderately with no sustained periods at the same speed for the first 1000 miles. Despite what anyone may claim, you don't need to do anything maintenance-wise that isn't suggested in the owner's manual.
  • snakehairsnakehair Member Posts: 120
    We have an'01 AWD V6 HL. Drive mostly in Mid-atlantic and Northeast also (West Virginia/Tennessee to Maine). We get 24-25 at steady 69 MPH on highways without too many hills, and about 22-24 mpg in mixed driving, cruising at 80 mph or on hillier terrain. Not a lot of noise, but more than an Avalon. Extremely comfortable on long trips.