Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Options
    bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    Has anyone had difficulty with the DVD player headphones. I just bought a QX4 this week and had a DVD player installed. The headphones have a microswitch in one ear that turn it on when you put them on and turn them back off when you lift them off your head. I am having trouble keeping them on when my kids wear them. The switch tends to disengage alot. They can hold it and keep it engaged but that should not have to be done. Anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to fix it?
  • Options
    lcwoslcwos Member Posts: 35
    I have to say I cant wait to get rid of my QX4...have had a lease for 2 1/2 yrs and am counting the months til it's up. My Husband loves the car........but he doesnt drive it, I do. Here is my list..anyone else like to comment?
    1. The wind noise is terrible. You can hardly hear the radio let alone a conversation from the back seat.
    2. If the seat is forward, you cant buckle the seat belt without doing aerobics.
    3. The location of the " on" button for the cruise control sucks. Why didnt they put it on the steering wheel where the rest of the controls are?
    4. Try to open the gasoline door without opening your car door, access the seat controls. Tight squeeze. Cant get your arm between the seat and the door.....and I am a small person. You sit right against the door, with little "elbow" room.
    5. Try and put a coffee cup with a handle in any of the holders. If you do, take plenty of towels.
    6. Center console sucks. Try to open it if you have the seat forward because you are short. And what items you suppose to put in the top half ? It's Not deep enough for much of anything. Where are the coin holders? Where do you put CD's....??? Not designed well at all.
    7. THE ABSOLUTE WORST IS THAT YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE HEAD REST ( WHICH IS A FEAT IN AND OF ITSELF), AND PUT IT SOMEWHERE, IF YOU WANT TO PUT THE REAR SEATS FLAT. WHO EVER DESIGNED THIS PIECE OF WORK SHOULD BE SHOT. I JUST LOVE STRUGGLING WITH THOSE...
    8. NO PLACE TO PUT A PURSE IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE IN THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT, UNLESS YOU WANT TO PUT IT IN THE REAR PASSENGER SEAT. THAT'S REAL HANDY.
    9. LAST BUT NOT LEAST, YOU MAY TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH THE DEALERSHIP IF YOU WANT YOUR OIL CHANGED, BECAUSE THE QUICK OIL PLACES DONT ALWAYS CARRY THE PROPER OIL FILTERS FOR THE QX4...AND YOU END UP WITH OIL LEAKS BECAUSE THE FILTER DIDNT SEAT PROPERLY.
    So, as you can tell, I am not impressed at all with this vehicle. Really look at these items before you sign on the dotted line..........
  • Options
    yoeddyyoeddy Member Posts: 46
    I'm surprised to hear that you let such small things make you hate a car. Did you not think about these things before leasing it? My thoughts on your complaints.

1. I have a 2001 so, I can't comment on your vehicle but I don't have any real noise problems that I'd complain about.
    2. I don't know how forward you have the seat but I would assume unless the vehicle you are driving has a seat belt hook on the seat itself, you will have to reach back to grab the seat belt. Should have realized that before you leased it.
    3. The on-button for cruise control is on the steering wheel now, so your complaint must have been heard.
    4. Where is the gas cover button on your QX4. On the 2001, it's right under the arm rest on the door and I've never had your problem. I also find that there's plenty of room between the door and seat. I'm 5'10".
    5. What vehicle has a cup holder that can accomodate a handle? I have one of those single cup coffee makers and the only cup that you can use has a handle. I just bought one of those narrow coffee cups made for drinking in a car and pour my coffee into that if I'm going to drive.
    6. Do you not have problems with other vehicles' center console? Sounds like you must have the seat up really forward. I use the top section to put CDs, kleenex, altoids. With the 2001, I can take out the top half separator if I need to use the whole space in the center console. I put my change in the ash tray. I also use the cd holder that I got with my QX4 and it fits nicely in the side bin on the door. I assume you could put yours in the bottom half of the center console.
    7. Yes, I don't like having to take the rear-seat headrests off but I don't drop my back seats down flat too often. Minor problem but I don't let it ruin my day. I put the head rests on the floor in between the front seat and where the back sit folds down on floor. The head rest on the 2001 come up pretty easy. Just push a button and they slide out easy. I've never timed it but I could probably get both reat seats down in 30 seconds.
    8. I don't have a purse but in any other vehicle where would you put your purse. What's the problem with putting stuff in the back? I always do it and never think about having to open the rear door to grab something as an inconvenience.
    9. Again, I don't know enough about your year model but I would think with the number of Nissan Pathfinders out there that quick oil change places would stock your oil filter. Well, not to harp on it again, the 2001 has the same engine as the Maxima, I30, and 2001 Pathfinder so this oil filter won't be hard to find.

When you turn your vehicle in, what other vehicle are you going to get that addresses all of your problems?
  • Options
    avalanche325avalanche325 Member Posts: 116
    You didn't say what year you have. I have a 99. In response to your item list, here is my opinion (or 2 cents worth)

1. Wind noise - I have not noticed any problem on the 99. I have heard (on this forum) of problems with newer models.

2.Seat belt - no problem for me, but I am quite a bit taller than you (6'1"). I would imagine most cars would be similar.

3. Cruise control on button - I can't imagine what is difficult about finding a button right there on the dash. And you only have to hit it once.

4. Gas door opener - it may be unfair for me to comment. It sounds like you use full service. I put my own gas in so the door is often open when I push it.

4A. Seat controls - I agree on this one. It is a very tight squeeze to get to these. Then again, I don't adjust them that often. I quit growing some years ago ;-)

5. Cup holder - You could get a different cup instead of a different car! Using a handled cup is actually not the best thing to do while driving.

6. COIN HOLDER - it is just under the cruise control on button. Pull that little door out - at least on a 99.

6A. Console. No problems there. Tissues, pens, local map in the top. Tire gage, tampons (wife), etc in the bottom.

6B CDs - I put 6 of them in the CD changer, 1 in the in dash. I usually don't need more than 7 at one time.

7. Head rest removal - Just plan ahead and leave them at home.

8. Purse - Unless you buy yourself a 73 Buick with a bench seat. I think you will find that no cars have a "purse holder" up front.

9. Oil change - If you are getting leaks, your mechanic is an idiot!!! There is no difference in changing the oil filter on a QX4 than any other car. Filters hard to find??? PULEEEEEESE. Where are you going? Jimmy Ray Bob's house of Chevys?

Excuse the synicism. It honestly sounds like you just bought the wrong car for your needs. I would get rid of it if I were you. You should have a car that you enjoy driving. And one that fits you right ergonomically. Before your next purchase, sit in the car for a while. Adjust everything with the seat belt on and door closed. Take your purse with you, etc. Take your list with you and go through it and more. Good luck in the future, I hope you find a car that suits your needs.
  • Options
    I didnt have the opportunity to lease the vehicle, my HUSBAND did. I wanted the Explorer Limited. I loved the previous 2 I had leased. My husband loved the Infiniti, so that is what He decided to lease for me. I had never seen one let alone driven one. You may not agree with me, but the Explorer has a vast amount of interior space that the Infiniti just doesnt have. Every year we take a one week fly-in fishing trip for 4 adults. We take the same amount of gear every year. Even though the Infiniti boasts more "cargo" space, the Explorer actually fits more, with space to spare.
    I am 5'2" tall and have to have the seat forward. My husband is 6'2"....... for him, the center console and seat belt latch is accessible, for me it is not. The cruise control "on" button was on the left of the steering wheel, on the dash, below the mirror remote control switch, and not easily seen. Lastly, the rest of the auto industry seems to be able to have a seat that folds down with the head rests left in place. The fact that I first have to remove the head rest, then find a place to put it, then lift up on the bottom seat cushion, then try and find the handle to unlatch it to move the backrest forward is asinine. Every other auto maker seems to be able to design a rear seat to fold forward in one movement......move the latch forward and fold the backrest to lay flat...........period. You may not use yours often, but I do.
    Now for the best part. My husband raved about this Infiniti, but when it came time for him to lease a new vehicle, guess what.......he leased a Ford Explorer. The SUV I wanted. He now admits that the Explorer has more interior room, and better front panel design.....but still thinks the QX4 is a superior vehicle. Maybe it is.... but for him, but not for me. Do you think he lets me drive the Explorer........NO SIR.
  • Options
    You also may be interested to know that several new SUV's now have an area under the center console for a purse. The AZTEK and the RENDEVOUS are two that have this....and several other nice features that looks as though they had input from female designers. As I said, If I had had the opportunity to sit and drive this vehicle before my husband "surprised" me with it, I would have told him that it was not the car for me. I am looking at the Envoy, Explorer, Honda and Lexus for my next lease, and this one I will have full input on......I can guarantee you of that. By the way, mine is a 2000 Infiniti, with the sunroof.
    As for the Oil Filter,I am not the only post that had this problem. Read post #987.
    My hubby took it to Penzoil...... after weeks of finding oil drops here and there, and taking it back to Penzoil twice, he finally took it into the Infiniti Dealer, WHO TOLD US THAT INFINITI's oil filters are mfg in Japan, and not all of the USA made filters fit properly.......the threads are off just a tad, and just enough for some to cause oil leaks.........I take no offense or exception to some of the previous comments, I am only relating my experiences with this vehicle, so that others may take it into consideration.
  • Options
    Oil filters use a STANDARD size thread. A thread size and pitch is the same no matter where it is made. The threads are in the middle of the filter. There is then a gasket around the outside edge of the filter. If the threads were "slightly off" this still would not cause a leak as the threads have nothing to do with sealing the filter. Most oil filter leaks are caused by the mechanic being too lazy to clean the seating surface that the gasket mates to.It sounds to me like the Infiniti dealer wants you to have service done at the Infiniti dealership and buy Infiniti filters.........imagine that. (Be wary of advice from the person that will benifit from it)
    I have NEVER had a filter leak on one of my cars. But then, I do my own oil changes.

As far as your husband forcing the QX4 in you, Dr. Phil has some good books out. (or watch Oprah on Tuesdays) ;-)
  • Options
    lalakrsfanlalakrsfan Member Posts: 44
    On Friday night, I went to the dealer, signed the paperwork, and drove
    away in my new 2002 Brilliant Silver QX4! My local dealer made this a top-notch car buying experience, and at $300 UNDER invoice. And that was negotiated via email and one phone call. Car buying has definately changed.

Thanks to all of you who answered my questions!
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Folks,
    I always get lots of mail about buying a QX4 from Canada and I promised to do a quick summary, so here it is…

So why to do this? To save money. The exchange rate is great for us here in the US. At today's rate a loaded QX4 AWD (includes Premium pkg, heated seats pkg, and sunroof) would go for about $29,500 (including duty at the border). That's $5400 under US dealer invoice.

There is also a Platinum Special Edition with lots of chrome and the intelligent cruise.

Here's the answers to the most asked questions:
    - Yes, it's perfectly legal as a US resident to buy a new car in Canada.
    - QX4 meets all US safety and emissions requirements (California too). It's built in Japan right next to the US bound models.
    - You will pay some Canadian sales taxes, but they send you a refund after you take the vehicle out of the country.
    - The warranty is honored in the US.
    - It's identical to the US QX4, but in Canada they come standard with many of the options we have to pay extra for.
    - No two-wheel drive available in Canada.
    - Speedo is in km and miles; odo is in km, but can be changed if you prefer.
    - We've found dealers willing to sell over the phone at close to invoice, far below list price (Toronto and Vancouver are usually best).
    - Get your financing at home first.

Quick summary of the process:
    1. Call dealer and make a deal. Get VIN number.
    2. Call Nissan and get US emissions and safety compliance letter (will fax if in a hurry).
    3. Go to Canada, pay dealer, drive away.
    4. Stop at Canadian customs. Get form stamped.
    5. Stop at US Customs. Show compliance letter. Pay 2.5% duty.
    6. Register vehicle and pay your state's sales tax when home just like normal.
    7. Get Canadian sales tax refund check in the mail.

I bought in Canada over a year ago and I know of over sixty others who have also done so since. Sure, there's a little paperwork to do. Many people are surprised how close to Canada they really are. Anyone from Chicago to D.C. is easily within a one days drive home from Toronto. And much of the west coast is close to Vancouver.

There is a lot more in the way of personal notes and savings above here and in the Pathfinder forum. I'm glad to help anyone out with questions or good contacts. I have lots more information available. Just email me.

-Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    jon,

Thanks for the informative summary!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    In all the cars I've ever owned, there was only one compartment large enough for my wife's purse - the trunk ...
  • Options
    To: Couimet
    That was priceless........ even I had to laugh at that one......but seriously, I wish more designers would consider a womans interior needs....and you men know just how much "stuff" we need to take with us even if it just for a trip to the store..... They make an Eddie Bauer & LL Bean model, how about a Martha Stewart design (ha,ha). Hey, you never know. It could go over well.
  • Options
    Icwos,

Can you imagine going to the local Wal-Mart and buying an Explorer? Built by children working in a sweat shop. But the good thing would be you could drive it for six months and then take it back and get a different color. Or even a full refund if you keep your receipt.

And then there could be the Explorer Shabby Chic edition. White cotton interior with pastel colors on the exterior.

The reason I didn't get an Explorer myself is the build and materials quality would be totally appropriate for distribution at Wal-Mart.
  • Options
    That's why I bought the QX4. I expect to get at least twice the miles and half the repair costs from my QX4 compared to the Explorer. The Explorer does need to be sold at Wal-Mart with all the other junk they sell. Careful of those Firestone tires too (or was the Explorer the REAL problem, will we ever know?).
  • Options
    couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    Maybe a Barbie version in all pink with a hair dryer built into the head rest ...
  • Options
    4mula14mula1 Member Posts: 3
    I see that Genuine Infiniti Accessories are now available through www.infiniti.com I found an Accessories tab under the QX4 section. There are photos, descriptions and prices. I didn't explore far enough to see if they can actually be ordered on-line. I think its new since I don't remember seeing this last week.
  • Options
    4mula14mula1 Member Posts: 3
    #992 from "couimet" discussed lack of e-mail response. I've had good luck getting Infiniti to respond to me within a day or two when I contact them via their USA website - www.infiniti.com then clicking on "contact us". I see you're from Canada. The Canadian website www.infiniticanada.com, says to e-mail them at information.centre@infiniticanada.com , though I can't vouch for that one as I've never tried it.
  • Options
    jwilberdingjwilberding Member Posts: 25
    I just brought my 99.5 in for an oil change and the service manager told me about the 30k maintenance. Any experiences to share on the cost? Did everyone get this done?

I pre-purchased my oil changes through autonation and that is the only reason I go to the dealer.(has worked out to $15/oil change) I usually don't go to dealers for service, but have found that Infiniti experience is a great one...loaner car if I desire one, in and out fast, and don't have to wait along with owners of tons of different models ie. toyota, ford.
  • Options
    johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    A huge disappointment for me about the QX4 is the lack of an autodimming rear view mirror. The Xterra has one! Why don't we! Has anyone looked into replacing the stock one with an autodimming one? Afermarket or Nissan? Self-install or shop-install? Approximate cost?

Also, does the 2002 QX4 have any sort of a trip computer? From the pictures I've seen, it appears there's another small display on the instrument panel, possibly a trip/mileage computer?
  • Options
    I have to say that I am also disappointed that the mirror is not autodimming. I would also be interested to know if there is a retrofit available.

On the trip "computer" issue, I can tell you that the 2002 QX4 I bought 3 weeks ago has 2 trip odometers. It does not have any trip gas mileage calculations or any other information for a trip. I hope this answers your question.
  • Options
    Yup, that answers my question. That's exactly what the 2001 has: odometer + 2 tripmeters. Then I'll add that to the list of things this luxury vehicle should have. I'm unbelievably happy with my vehicle, only a few minor disappointments.
  • Options
    mthomas3mthomas3 Member Posts: 33
    Reference post #1019 -
    I did not miss the autodimming mirror at all on my 2001 QX4. In fact, I did not know that it was missing until I read the message.

The factory tint and ride height seem to make the feature unnecessary. I have had two luxury cars with the option, and I thought the performance was poor on both. . It is an interesting feature when I played with it shining a flashlight on the sensor, but in real life on the road I did not find it very useful. On one of the cars, I got high quality tinting film on the rear glass,eliminating the need for autodimming altogether.
  • Options
    In regard to several comments on wind noise.

I have found the QX4 to be comparatively very quiet, even on noisy freeways. However, one day after a trip I forgot to remove one small plastic Yakima vertical mount on the front crossbar. The noise from it was very annoying on the freeway. I stopped to look, popped off the mount, and the noise was gone.

So - for those with noise - is there anything attached to the roof crossbars when it is making noise?
  • Options
    mthomas3,
    The racks were changed in 2001. If your QX4 is earlier than that, I have not heard of complaints. I have a 99 and no noise problems.
    What year is yours?
  • Options
    erichutchinserichutchins Member Posts: 4
    I would like to extend my thanks to Jon, message number 641, without who this would not have been possible. Well, it would have been possible, it just wouldn’t have occurred to me.

I and a neighbor of mine – we bought two at once – are now the proud owners of QX4’s. I think I am really going to enjoy owning this SUV and I’ve had a couple that I would not say that about. The fact that we bought them is no surprise to anyone on this thread; the only reason that this may be interesting is that we bought them in Canada. Platinum edition. Equipped with engine block heater, intelligent cruise control and other goodies. The ICC is only available with the NAV system in the USA, which is not available in Canada. Driving back to Chicago from Toronto with that cruise control is amazing. Now that I’ve used it, it is probably even worth the USA NAV option to get it.

But the main reason for buying in Canada was the money. The saving was extraordinary. The Platinum edition lists at just over CAN $50,000 plus tax, deduct a bit of a discount and I bought a loaded QX4 for USD $30,000 - plus air ticket and a day off work. The taxes will be a wash. The Canadians will refund theirs and Uncle Sam will collect his.

This was very easy, cab from Toronto to the dealership, 15 minutes paperwork – you will already have wire transferred the money – quick demo on features, on the road and back home in one day.
    1. Call dealership and determine price.
    2. Send them money and fax copies of a few documents.
    3. Download customs forms from website.
    4. Go to Canada, pickup car.
    5. Stop at duty free shop at border to arrange for refund of taxes.
    6. Stop at US Customs to pay duty, 2.5 %
    7. Smile broadly.

p.s. The chrome wheels look great.
  • Options
    dkatkodkatko Member Posts: 1
    Eric, could you post the dealer information, contact names, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc.. I would be interested in exploring the same opportunity. Any reason why you went through Toronto instead of through Detroit to Ontario? Thanks in advance
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    dkato,
    Breaking news. As of Monday Infiniti cut off sales from their Canadian dealers to US customers. This was aimed at a few dealers who were selling truckloads of Infinitis to US Infiniti dealers. But we small guys got hit in the middle. We'll see if it straightens itself out later, but for now it won't go.
    -Jon
  • Options
    cummings33cummings33 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone remember seeing the press release someone posted regarding the government's position on cross-border transactions? It stated that manufacturers could NOT prevent dealers from selling cars to US customers--it was up on some of the boards a few weeks back when the topic of buying in Canada came about. If you have this or know where I can get to it, please provide a link ASAP. I am one of the lucky ones who was leaving tomorrow to Canada to pick up my car and who just got hosed by this new ban. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    erichutchinserichutchins Member Posts: 4
    Jon is right, I'm getting a lot of aggravation from Infiniti about registering my QX4 for the US warrenty. It may resolve itself amicably, it may not. I'll let the board know the progess. There are avenues yet to pursue.

dkato. I only went through Toronto 'caus my company has an office there and I got a cheap flight from ORD.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The most reliable vehicle in the survey was the Nissan-made Infiniti QX4 sport-utility vehicle."

link

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    xmerxmer Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2001 QX4, with only 14 K miles right now. I work at home and the QX4 stayed in my garage all the time.

A few weeks ago, I installed a XM satellite radio in my car and I have since fired my CD changer.

XM satellite radio and Bose system are made for each other. XM delievers over 100 channels of music, news, sports, talk show, lots of them are commericial free. The music content is very rich, the best thing is the quality of the sound. All XM music contents are digitally delivered from two huge satelites.

Anyway, just want to share my experience with you QX4 lovers and perhaps some of you are as picky about the sound quality of music as I am and want to have this new gadget installed in your QX4.

I paid $ 430 for the Pioneer unit, Terk antena and installation at the Circuit City, they did a very neat job, the only thing showing is the control panel.

With XM satellite radio, you get CNN, CNBC, NASCAR, FOX news, BBC... Comedy, 8 Jazz channels, 20 something pop and rock channels, 6 Classic music channels... and you can drive around the country without losing signals or changing channels.

Oh, by the way, if you are interested, visit their website at www.xmsr.com
  • Options
    dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    you sound like a salesman for xm! Are you? ;)
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    FYI - promotion of products and solicitation are not allowed on the Town Hall boards. Make a note of that!

Thanks.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    drshrinkdrshrink Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 QX4 and love it very much.
    My wife and I purchased it because we have a small weekender cabin in the local mountains and wanted a vehicle we could trust in the snow, and poor weather conditions. We have had it a year and this vehicle has stood the test. However, I have a small problem that I thought someone could help me with.
    I have been unable to set the memory for the driver's seat position. I have been using it since new, so I know I am doing everything correctly, but now all of a sudden it doesn't work. Any ideas?
  • Options
    jkopperjkopper Member Posts: 6
    I don't know how well this will work, but here's information quoted directly from the electrical system FAQ on http://www.infinityhelp.com

"The Automatic Seat Position may be on fail-safe mode, and you may have a problem with the system. But you can try to reset the system, some times that will fix the problem. to reset the system do the follow:

-Get inside the car

-Insert the key on the ignition (do not turn the key)

-Open and close the driver side door three or four times

-End"

Sounds odd to me, but perhaps helpful?

• Options
    That link should be:

http://www.infinitihelp.com
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    My Dad has about 30,000 miles (Maybe a little more) on his 2001 QX4 and absolutely loves it. It has enough power for a truck and the ride is comfortable. Zero problems (knock on wood). I'm actually so impressed with how well the interior has held up over the first year and 4 months. Now I know what you're thinking, the truck is only a little over a year old so why would the interior fall apart. My dad brings our 2 pet Great Danes to work every day and they have a habit of destroying the interior of the car. His previous 1998 Ford Explorer still looked dirty on the inside even after it was cleaned.

My Dad's only complaint is the lack of headroom (He's 6'2 with a bad back that requires him to sit up straight as an arrow) and the fact that there is no trip computer which I see has been mentioned in posts above.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    There was a post a few weeks back about the trip computer and it was noted by a 2001 owner that it has 2 trip computers. My 2002 also has 2. Are you sure your father's does not have trip computers?
  • Options
    I don't think he is referring to the tripometer. I figure he's referring to the "estimated gas mileage/mileage remaining in a tank/etc" computers that many luxury (and some non-luxury) vehicles have. Something our luxury vehicle definitely should have in the future.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    His truck does have the Trip Odometer (2 of 'em), but no trip computer with average speed/avg mpg/Distance to Empty & others.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    johnskev -- thanks for catching that typo. You'd think I could manage to spell...

I'd like to throw out a couple of questions.

First, is there a more complete list of programming options than the few items at infinitihelp, or would I have to purchase the service manual?

Second, I've found that my heated seats are a bit less "warm" than I'd expect (compared to other vehicles, including Infinitis like the I35). Is this a normal thing on the QX4, or should I ask the service manager at my dealer to take a look? Basically it's pointless to have the seats on the low setting, and the high setting seems a bit sporadic, heating up reasonably sometimes, but never getting to the point where it's "too warm", even after an hour-long drive.

Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    zielinwzielinw Member Posts: 83
    How can the quality of an after market xm sat radio be as good as a CD? Doesn't the input from the xm hookup to the car radio through the car's fm antenna input?

If so, the frequency response will not be better than an FM radio station. At least that was my experience with after market CD players that connected through the FM antenna.
  • Options
    jkopper:

Programming? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I think that the heated seats never getting "too warm" is nice, I can just turn them on and leave em be. I feel that mine started to work better over time.
  • Options
    Sorry I wasn't specific--I am thinking along the lines of programming features of the vehicle. For example, most new cars can either lock the doors when you put the car in drive, or not, and it's generally a simple thing to change if you know how. Usually those things aren't necessarily advertised, but can be changed by a dealer if you ask. Being nosy I'm just wondering about what little customizations might be hiding out.

You definitely answered my question about the seats though--sounds like it's the normal behavior. Unless it ends up being a problem (which right now it isn't), I won't worry on it.

Thanks!
  • Options
    93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    Go to smart shopper forum under real world trade in values and give as many specifics as possible - you will get an answer pretty fast.
  • Options
    masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    I am looking to purchase a QX4 this month. The carsdirect price is below invoice and makes note of a special factory to dealer incentive. I have not nailed down a firm price from a dealership yet since they are still trying to find me a 2WD model without a sunroof. I have tried all avenues trying to find out how much this factory to dealer incentive is so I can use it to negotiate a good price for my QX4. Does anyone know where I can get this information? I prefer something off the web or in writing so I can take it back to the dealer as prove. I have found on other websites that Infinti has offered some huge ($6000) factory to dealer incentives in the past. The prices I am being quoted are fairly good and a car at invoice or a little below is good, but I would hate to pay $500 below invoice if the dealer is getting the holdback and a $3-5000 incentive check. Thanks. If you ahve any info please email me soon as I am ready to buy.
  • Options
    Did you check this site for incentives? See:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2002/infiniti/qx4/2wd4drsuv35l6cyl4a/prices.html#incentives

For my ZIP code (85308) they indicate a $2000 incentive. When I bought my 2001 QX4 last year, it was relatively easy to get the dealer down to a sales price of invoice price less the full dealer incentive, which was $1000 at that time.

Hold out for invoice less dealer incentive! You may need to walk out on the deal once to get it.

Mark

• Options
    There is zero incentive in FL. I wonder what the incentives are elsewhere?
  • Options
    I put in some zip codes for major cities in the following states and they have the $2000 dealer incentive:

TX, AZ, CA, OR, WA, AK, HI, NV, NM, WY, ID, CO, UT,

NOT OFFERRED:
    FL, OK, ND, SD, NE, MT, KS, MN, IA, MO, AR, MS, AL, GA, SC, WV, VA, NY, OH, AND I gave up at this point.

I was thinking of driving to the Grand Canyon anyway, so I can fly one way to AZ or Vegas and buy my car for $2000 less and drive it home. Better than the old buying in Canada trick. I wonder if its the same for Pathfinders.
  • Options
    hintzhintz Member Posts: 71
    Last month they had some great incentives in FL. Now there is none, hopefully they will come back soon. Plus once all the snowbirds go back north they will have plenty of them on the lot, and they will beg you to take them off their lots. Is this the last year for the QX4? Completely redesigned for 2004?