Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Options
    bigdotbigdot Member Posts: 8
    I am sure that there are lots of posts out about how to change the in cabin microfilter but I am just not finding them using the search. Are there any previous posts that you could direct me to? I found 2 sort of toggle pieces at the bottom of the glove box but then can't get the glove box to rotate or drop out. I sure don't want to damage anything. Must be something simple that I can't see. Anyone got a link or reference? Many thanks. This is for a 2002 model Infiniti.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    bigdot,

I just took a quick look around for that information and couldn't find it either. Maybe someone else with better luck or direct experience will be able to help out.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    mthomas3mthomas3 Member Posts: 33
    I found this at
    http://www.cyu.com/2001_infiniti_qx4.htm
    go there for other maintenance information.

Instructions from this site:

Changing the cabin microfilter is a bit complicated because the entire glove compartment
    assembly must be removed to access the microfilters. The job should take about 30 minutes,
    but worth the trouble. These filters trap small particles of dirt and pollen before it enters the
    passenger cabin when the vent is open, essential for those with allergies. Start by removing the
    two screws that hold the glove compartment latch and remove the latch. Remove the two screws
    that hold the Infiniti molding, then remove the molding. You'll notice a screw that holds the glove
    compartment that's been hidden from view unless the molding is removed. The Nissan directions
    in the kit make no reference to this screw. Remove the two plastic hinge pins from the bottom of
    the glove compartment. Remove the five screws that hold the glove compartment. Separate the
    glove compartment light from the housing. Using a flat-head screwdriver, pop off the clip and
    remove the dirty filters and replace with new clean ones, inserting the first one on the bottom and
    pushing to the top. Follow with second filter and snap clip into place. Reverse directions until
    every screw is tightened.

Infiniti scheduled service makes no mention about replacing this, but the filter kit says to replace
    every 6 months or 7,500 miles. I would agree because I pulled mine after one year and 15,000
    miles of use and it was filthy! The Nissan part number is B7200-0W010 ($35), and I would steer
    clear of Infiniti dealers on this one because they want $60 for the same part. I noticed it was
    available from various online Nissan shops for $28, but add shipping and it's back to $35 again.
    Save yourself some hassle and money and buy it from a Nissan dealer.

mthomas3
  • Options
    I had found it once and printed it out when I was considering an Xterra. It was on one of the discount Nissan parts sites that sold the filter. If you drilled down more, you could find out how to install. I don't have the site or the paper anymore, but it is out there. keep trying.

mthomas3
  • Options
    Thanks for the help, mthomas!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    bigdotbigdot Member Posts: 8
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to research the process for changing the microfilter. It looks like they made the process more complicated than it needed to be (by making the repair person take out the glove box 1st) -- it would have been nice to snap a bottom cover off somehow.

I am most worried about them scratching the interior with screw drivers each time they take it apart to replace a filter. And the subsequent rattles and mis-alignment of the door parts.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    jeepluvjeepluv Member Posts: 37
    it's been awhile (at least 3 months, probably more), but there have been a few threads about this on the pathfinder board. seems that there were instructions making it sound a bit easier than what's described above, but my memory could be bad. try searching and/or posting a q there. good luck.
  • Options
    Another comment on the site:

http://www.cyu.com/2001_infiniti_qx4.htm

After reading how hard it is to do the oil change, I plan to use the dealer for that. Dealer charges $19.95, and also sent me a ton of service coupons for $10 off.

Mthomas3

• Options
    avalanche325avalanche325 Member Posts: 116
    The oil change is not hard. And please don't EVER use the "screwdriver and hammer" method to remove a filter as mentioned in the link above. USE THE PROPER TOOL.

If you cannot get the filter off and punch a hole in it with a screwdriver, I have seen several cases where the filter collapses or the screwdriver just tears through the metal. Then think of what you have, a car that you cannot put oil back into to get it to a garage or to a parts store to get the proper tool. Where I have personally seen this happen, it resulted in the car hanging off of the back of my father's tow truck.

Do yourself a favor, get the right tool!!!!! There are several types of filter wrenches that will work.

I also do not have to remove a crossbar as mentioned, but I have a 1999.

It is a bit messy taking the filter off. Get a drain pan ($5.00 - $7.00) that has a large "drain tray".

The web site in the above post has good info, not trying to flame the guy. It is just a back-yard mechanic trick that can really backfire on you.
  • Options
    jeepluvjeepluv Member Posts: 37
    We bought a QX4 in July. Did comparisons with the MDX and (sort of) with the ML. The MDX was nice - drove & handled well, had plenty of room, etc. There were a few minor things that we didn't like, and coupled with the wait and the full sticker cost, led us away from the MDX. I looked at, but did not have a chance to drive, the ML (wife nixed the idea!). It seemed like a very solid vehicle with a lot of features (both safety and cool), but you will probably pay quite a bit more than a QX4 to get similar content levels.

We ended up with a Titanium AWD QX4 with Premium, Sport, Roof, & deflector. We're both very happy with the truck. It's been great! In the end, drive all 3 and see which suits you best; they're all good vehicles. Good luck.
  • Options
    garthfangarthfan Member Posts: 8
    I picked up my new 2002 QX4 loaded last Thursday in Toronto. I still can't believe it's mine. I have to keep pinching myself. Flew to Toronto in the morning, drove away by 1:00. Got through customs in an hour (the crew on duty never did one of these transactions at the Peace Bridge)and away I went. This is such and awesome vehicle. Now, I feel like I need baby crib type rubber pads all around it so no one hits me. Here are the details:

2002 QX4 Sand something in color
    Prem Pkg
    Sport Pkg
    Sunroof
    Towing Pkg
    Gold Emblemming Pkg
    Wind/bug deflector
    Temporary permit (good for 10 days)
    $45,609.00 Canadian dollars - excluding tax which I will get back from Canada
    $28,684.90 US dollars ($1.59 exchange rate)
    $763 US dollars duty tax

I still cannot believe the deal. Canada is definitely the way to go. If you want more info on getting the best rate, dealer info, and transferring the $ into the dealers account, email me at garthfan@mediaone.net

Diane
  • Options
    By the way, I saved $11,451.00 US dollars by going to Canada.

Diane
  • Options
    Congrats, Diane!

It must be a fantastic vehicle since you apparently didn't even notice those pothole-rich roads of Western New York!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Diane,
    Congrats from here too. I hear back from people on this all the time, but you have now set the all-time record for amount saved by going to Canada! For those of you without the calculator handy, the total cost for that QX4 including everything is still under $30,000. This is why I like helping out on this - I just love to see happy people.
    -Jon
  • Options
    smarty2smarty2 Member Posts: 6
    Diane, what is the dealers phone # in Toronto? Do other dealers offer same type of savings on other makes? I am torn between infinity or BMWx5. If anyone else has a Canada deal story my email is SPYDANI@AOL thanks in advance for any advise.
  • Options
    smarty2,
    Send me an email and I will send off all the info you'll need about buying in Canada along with the dealer info. I really don't want it to look like advertising here (and he's a manager and I don't think likes to see his name on the net). Since I bought from him I know of about thirty others who have also. For more success stories, scroll up here or over at the Pathfinder and Maxima boards. I have a count of 60 so far. Diane of course is the latest and she probably will have some good input too.

As far as other makes, you may not have much luck anymore. Most of the manufacturers have stopped allowing their Canadian dealers from selling to US customers. This includes Toyota, BMW, Honda/Acura, GM, Audi, Volkswagen, and more. I guess it keeps the prices higher here (and the US dealers happy).

-Jon
  • Options
    Tidester, I was born and raised in Western NY, so I'm used to the potholes. I moved south 14 years ago...the roads are much smoother down here. If you really want to see potholes, drive on the interstate in Detroit. I think I left one of my kidneys up there.

Diane
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the same type of price advantages are available for boats???

Sorry if this is off-topic, but it a boat was a factor in buying my QX4.
  • Options
    pfleegpfleeg Member Posts: 10
    Noticed a few posts back, someone lamenting their service experience with infinitiparts.net. I've ordered a couple times from Infinitipartspeople.com and have had great experiences both times. They consistently beat the prices my dealer has quoted, including delivery charges, and their service is prompt. Ordered all season mats and cargo liner recently with no problems.
  • Options
    slater1182slater1182 Member Posts: 1
    I think my AC is about to break. The AC makes some bad sounds when I turn on. Does anyone know a good mechanic in Phoenix or should I go to the dealer?
    thanks,
  • Options
    couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    Your warranty may very well cover this ...
  • Options
    I have noticed when I turn at low speed on a rough road, that I can feel some "slop" in the steering. This seems more noticeable in a left hand turn than right. It kind of feels that the left front wheel is wiggling with the bumps.

I have looked at the suspension and the tie rod ends are nice and tight. Everything seems OK under the front. It appears to be some play in the steering box. I have wiggled the steering column where it goes into the steering box and there seems to be a little play there. (I know that some is normal)

Is this a "truck thing"? I am used to driving sport sedans, and am very sensative to things like this.

Is this normal steering play for a '99?
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    write-up of the QX4 and was surprised to note that the vehicle has front disc/rear drum brakes...considering how many SUVs out there of that caliber (and COST) have 4 wheel disc, why did Infiniti take the cheap route and use rear drum brakes...seems to be contrary to all logic to do that...or did I read it wrong???...it seemed that you could not even upgrade to 4W disc as an option...stupid thinking??????
  • Options
    Marsha7,

It is true. The QX4 has rear drum brakes. There is no option for rear discs.

This was a matter of concern for me when looking at QX4s, however, I read several reviews that mentioned this and also stated that it was unnoticable.

Well, I bought a QX4 (99) and I would agree. The braking seems fine for a vehicle of its weight.

I would have to agree that it is a poor choice on Infiniti's part. I personally would be willing to pay more for 4W discs if it were available as an option. As far as I know, all of the other SUVs in this quality class have 4W discs.
  • Options
    couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    The Pathfinder and QX-4 may be in the few remaining mid-size SUV's with rear drums. There are disks up front, obviously, where most of the braking force is required.

I drive a 2000 PF and have not been unhappy with braking performance. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see a comparison of mid-size SUV's on braking performance ...
  • Options
    used drum brakes for many years, then advanced to front disc/rear drum, also for years, but it just seems that vehicles with substantial cost and (theoretically) substantial quality have 4 wheel disc brakes...only Taurus/Sable had 4 wheel disc with the silly oval design of 1995-1999, and then with the redesign of 2000, took a step backwards and installed rear drum brakes...I don't deny that the vehicle (QX4) will stop, as does the Sable, but using drum technology when one would think that disc should be the standard.....I would expect a Nissan Sentra to be disc/drum, not any product made by Infiniti...rather silly and cheap, IMHO
  • Options
    320cobra320cobra Member Posts: 17
    marsha7...Yes, I too would have preferred 4 wheel disk brakes since I think it achieves better breaking results in most vehicles. The reason why our QX4's have drum brakes at the rear wheels is because the vehicle is based off of Nissan's truck series. It's basically an old truck design that works very well...and you know what they say..."if it aint broke, don't fix it". Pickups and SUV's were the last line of vehicles to switch to 4 wheel disk brakes. I think when Infiniti/Nissan redesigns the QX4/Pathfinder for 2003, we will see a new design in braking systems that will include 4 wheel disc brakes. However, in defense of the current setup, The QX4 has huge front rotors and calipers (much larger than the competition) which allow the vehicle to stop in a shorter distance in a 60-0 test when compared against the Acura, Jeep and all the rest. The rear brakes are designed to stabalize the vehicle in all types of braking situations (keeps the vehicle from pitching forward), but the front brakes do most of the work. I know that the QX4 scored very good numbers in stopping performance with the rear drum brakes (MoterTrend). I have seen some manufactures switch from rear drum to rear disc and achieve worse performance than the previous set-up. I think my 2001 has very good stopping power and great pedal feel. The fact that it had rear drum brakes was an issue initially, but that concern soon faded after a test drive. I think the rear drum brakes work just fine and will cost less to repair and maintain down the road. Hope this helps.

320cobra
  • Options
    drum to rear disc can be bad if they short-change the rear discs...i.e. tiny discs and tiny pads... I do make the assumption (there's that word) that any carmaker that switches to rear disc will supply adequate braking surfaces to stop...if they don't, then the buyer loses in the long run
  • Options
    reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    I switched out of a 99 Silverado with disc all the way around. The brakes were supposed to last for 100,000 miles, but not true. Most need work at about 50,000. Best thing I ever did was dump the lemon Silverado and get back to driving a quality vehicle.
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed their Q jump/hop/lurch when put into gear? I've got it in 2wd and after backing out of the driveway and going into drive, it lurches. Anyone else have this going on? I know it does that when you have it in auto mode an turn the vehicle off...I've read that discussion in here.

Thanks
  • Options
    johnnyrocket1johnnyrocket1 Member Posts: 1
    i'm looking to upgrade out of a xterra but haven't done any serious shopping. ive read countless discussions here about the qx4 vs the pf, but has anyone done any comparisons between the qx and the land rover dicovery?
    they seem to be equivalent in pricing. does the money give you comparable options/amenities. and anyone know about the reliability of dicovery compared to the qx4?
    thanks...
  • Options
    I looked at a Discovery at the same time I discovered the QX4 (no pun intended).

I found the Discovery's driver compartment to be extremely cramped. I am 6' 1' 198 lbs, so a little bigger than average, but not really big. I do have big feet though (14) and that may have been part of my problem.

With the seat all the way down and back I could not get my foot on the brake pedal without having my thigh HARD against the steering wheel. I mean to the point that when I went for the brakes, I turned the wheel to the right. That immediately knocked it out of contention for me.

I also found the ergonomics to be pretty bad. Especially the layout of the center console. This may be part of the fact that I just did not fit well in the vehicle. This will be a personal thing so I recommend that you sit in both vehicles and do some shifting around like you would during a long trip. See if it fits you.

On the plus side, it had very good head room. I also liked the "safari" styling.

Check the Consumer Reports Used Car Buying Guide. It will give you reliability ratings.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I also was dismayed about the drum brakes, however, they do work very well. I have heard that the ABS does not work as well with drums, but mine seems to do fine.

I have a chrysler with 4 wheel disks and ABS. in 97 they were optional. I was surprised when I rented an identical car with drums, and the drums stopped better. I had dealer replace pads and resurface disks on mine, but it did not help much.
    On that car, I wish I had the drums.
  • Options
    You sent me mail asking for info on how to buy your QX4 from Canada, but your email address keeps bouncing.
    -Jon
  • Options
    heatmiser1heatmiser1 Member Posts: 122
    Thanks for responding and I do not know why my e:mail keeps bouncing back. I did some calling around yesterday and here is what I found.

I contacted an Infiniti dealer in Vancouver and they were adamant about not selling a new vehilce bound directly to the US. Said Infiniti has asked them not to do this practice. I tried another Infiniti dealer just outside Vancouver and they stated that they do it quite often but need a broker to handle all the paperwork (etc...) even if I physically came up and picked it up. The funny thing is that they could not recommend anyone.

Oh well, here are some open questions I have about purchasing in Canada:

1) Are there any problems (or extra procedures required) having service done under warranty at an Infiniti dealer here in the US?

2) What about resale values, will they be lower even if sold in the US years down the road since the vehicle was purchased outside the country?

3) Where do you go to get the speedometer/odometer fixed so they read in miles? Approximately how much does it cost to adjust everything to miles instead of kilometers?

4) How much is Canada's sales tax? I know it is refunded but just want to get an idea...

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Options
    heatmiser, lofquist

I don't know what mail client you are using but I find that with the one I use mail bounces if I don't manually remove the "mail to:" prefix that gets inserted when you copy the mail address link.

You might try removing the prefix in your emailings and see if that makes a difference.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    320cobra320cobra Member Posts: 17
    Since I purchased my Q, I have noticed something that I still am not sure if it is normal. I was thinking that the vehicle was new and that what I was questioning would go away after the break-in period was over. I now have about 2,700 miles on it and I'm still experiencing a slow shift from first to second along with a slight vibration just before shifting into second. It only seems to be noticeable at moderate to hard acceleration and the vibration seems to happen at about the 3200 RPM range. My wife has a 2001 I30t and her car shifts quickly out of first and no vibration. I did read that on some of the 2000 I30's there was a technical bulletin released on the slow shifting problem for the I30. Is there a similar problem with our Q's that I'm not aware of???? I'm assuming that since the engine block on the Q's is the same as the I30 that the transmission (automatic) should be similar as well. There is a big difference in shifting performance when I compare the I30 to the Q in the I30's favor.

320cobra
  • Options
    I got your email and will send off all the info. But here are the answers...
    1. No problem with the warranty work in the US. You get the warranty transfered over.
    2. Resale should be the same - it's the same vehicle. Many of the used cars in the Seattle area are coming from Canada.
    3. The speedo is in km and miles; the odo in miles. You don't have to change them. But they can be changed by any speedometer shop. Figure around $300.
    4. The Canada national GST sales tax is 7%, but it gets refunded when you bring the vehicle to the US.

I still don't understand why a number of the Canadian Infiniti dealers are so clueless about selling cars to US people. I'll send you the name of the manager at the one in Vancouver that everyone uses - over twenty at that place alone. No, you don't need a broker to bring the QX4 to the US.

-Jon
  • Options
    I assume that you checked the trans fluid level with engine warm and running. It could be low and cause this.

I have a 2001 QX4, now with nearly 2000 miles. I noticed some strange shifting before it warmed up in first 3 miles of driving. At about 1100 miles, I changed transmission fluid. This made a major improvement. There is a drain fitting on the transmission pan that makes it easy.

I refilled with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF (Dexron III). This runs about $5 per quart. Trans holds a total of 9 quarts, however, the drain will remove only 5 quarts plus 7 ounces. I noticed that the old fluid was dark and stinky, which surprised me due to the low milage and easy break in driving. This made an immediate improvement. I did a second change out a week later to get more of the old stuff out.

I think that Nissan uses a strange fluid, but manual lists Dexron III as acceptable. Synthetic works much better cold, and has better high temp operation also.

Transmission now shifts just fine, no shudder or anything unusual. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I never received a recall notice, but I know that my QX4 was built in May of 2001 and should have been recalled.

The service manager looked at mine yesterday, and checked the strut part numbers as well as the VIN. It appears that mine was either corrected at the factory or the dealer before delivery as I already had the new version parts. He said that a few QX4s that did get recall notices had already been updated, so they check every one when they come in to save time.

Guess I should not have worried about it.
  • Options
    ericgrericgr Member Posts: 8
    My dealer gave me this optional Sunroof Wind Protector (it's a piece of plastic) as I left the dealership as a "gift." The problem is that I don't know how to install it. It just has two screws, two bolts, and these long flange-like things that are connected to the plastic with the two bolts and screws. The flanges are just long straight things with a small tiny hook on the end. Does anyone know how I might install this? I thought I might give it a try. Has anyone had any problem with theirs (as in falling off, etc? For some reason I think I might be missing some pieces to get this installed.
  • Options
    I had a bad experience with my QX4 about 4 weeks ago in the rain (not the car's fault of course). Like some QX4 owners, I typically rode the car in 2WD and only change it to 4H in the snow or ice. I just didn't bother with the AWD mode. However, if it's raining outside, you really need to consider putting the car in AWD. Once one of these SUV's (any SUV) starts to lose control in the rain, you need all the help you can get. They aren't like cars, they fishtail with more momentum and are much more difficult to get under control because of their weight. Anyway, when you're on wet pavement this is only accentuated. If it's raining, you should consider assuming that any form of slipping help (as in AWD) may be needed at any unexpected time and that without it you may be in for a very rotten day. I wish I had considered this before my mishap.
  • Options
    ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    for three years i have always subscibed to the theory of using "Auto" when it's raining or the roads are wet. however, i can't tolerate the harsh THUNK/crash noise from the driveline when you kill the engine while the system is in auto, so i typically drive in 2WD on dry roads. dealer has examined many times and states condition is "normal". many other owners report the same unnerving noise.

ace
  • Options
    I agree, use "Auto" when there are any adverce conditions on the road. I use 2WD when the roads are clear and dry.

eircgr - You are exactly right, a QX4 is NOT a car and should not be driven like one. There is extra weight and a higher center or gravity. The AWD is a great safety feature that should be used.

ace - The clunk (a bit unnerving at first), is the electronic clutch in the center differential disengaging and is normal. I have seen posts where people say "Auto" is the same as 2WD unless a wheel slips. Obviously not, since the clutch is engaged as soon as Auto is selected.

Enjoy your QX4s - took mine into the mountains yesterday for a day trip. A little bit of snow, very sure footed.
  • Options
    Thanks for posting. I have the same "lurch" on my car. Avalanche, thanks for explaining the mechanics of that. I think this lurch was why I stopped using AWD. I'm going to use it again, regardless of the lurch since I know I'll forget to set it when I need it. I regret not having it set. Also, thanks for clarifying that AWD and 2WD are not the same. I saw on another post that in AWD 10% of the power is applied to the front wheels continuously and then increaed to 50/50 when slippage occurs. I agree, it definitely doesn't feel like 2WD, it never made sense to me. Unfortunately, I believe Infiniti's own literature describes it as someting that operates in 2WD then switches to 4WD-- not only do I agree that doesn't seem correct, but I believe it downplays the value of AWD mode, as in implying the system would have a sloppier transition to full 50/50 power. It would seem to me that the 10/90 would yield a more meaningful and controlled transition (then again, what do I know...) I had two questions 1) do you all (or anyone) have any idea how that wind deflector fits (see my other post) and 2) on this "lurch" and the associated "clunk sound", it sure feels like it could produce some wear over time. Do you have any idea how that release of energy in the clutch (the clunk sound) is absorbed and handled by the components? That is, is it, for example, metal hittig rubber, rubber hitting rubber, or some other kind of dynamic? I was just curious since it does sound a bit scary when I hear it. If I knew in my mind what was going on I'd probably feel more comfortable with it. As it stands now, it feels to me something like when I accidentally turn-off a manual transmission car while still in-gear, never a good thing...
  • Options
    sweetpea7sweetpea7 Member Posts: 5
    I read somewhere on this board that this is the last year for the QX4. Can anyone tell me if that is true? I am wondering about the wisdom of buying a car that will no longer be manufactured.

Thanks,

Patti
  • Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it completely or introduced an entirely new model. However I don't know whether its the case. The rest of my post here is based on the conjecture that it could be end-of-lifed hypothetically. There's an alternate view on this, which is that the QX4 is incredibly reliable because it has been in production for so many years (with its roots in the Pathfinder). Compare that to the very nice/tempting BMW X5 which, unfortunately, has an abundance of reliability problems (compared to the QX4) probably because it is such a new line. It's reliablity in future years remains a big question mark as well but not so with the QX4. Because the QX4 and its cousin the Pathfinder have been in production for so many years, you can be sure there will be an abundance of parts available for the car going forward, so that wouldn't be a concern. If it were me, I'd simply make the decision on which combination of handling, design, and reliability I liked from any manufacturer. It's really a matter of where your priorities are. I could easily see you drawing strong differences between the models/brands based on careful examination-- for example, for some people, they have a higher tolerance for car problems and so reliablity isn't the main factor. They all excel in one area or another (BMW in handling, QX4 in reliability/features/robustness/comfort.service, etc). The QX4 is such a refined design in many ways. Just sit inside a QX4 with your sunglasses on a sunny day and read and operate the dashboard controls (climate, radio, etc). Then get inside an X5 and try the same, you can't even read the red LED's (I couldn't). By the way, one reason I emphasize the x5 is that I've seriously considered purchasing it, even in light of its issues. I kind of have a love/hate thing for the X5, on the one hand I wouldn't mind having it but on the other, I'm reasonably certain I'd seriously regret having one due to their reliablity issues, comparative build-quality to the QX4, etc. You have to ask yourself exactly how many problems you'd like to take-on with a new car. The Infiniti is trouble-free if you drive it carefully. The two other Japanese luxury brands are also very nice but, when you look closer, each offers its own set of tradeoffs-- all of them do. You might make a list of the most important characteristics of the cars to you and then prioritize them and add them up. Finally, as it relates to resale, keep in mind that if you keep a QX4 for less than a year, or just about a year,then your concern may have some level support. Depreciation is already steep on thany car in the first year and it can't help if it has been end-of-lifed. On the other hand, after about 4 or 5 years, I'm not sure it will matter because, in that price range, people shop on different criteria and the car will probably have a good market along with other reliable used QX4's and Pathfinders. This is all conjecture, I don't even if know if they plan to end-of-life the QX4 however.
  • Options
    sweetpea7sweetpea7 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for your thoughtful answer. Realibility is probably my main focus. As I research each vehicle, I find that they all seem to have problems with the QX4 having far fewer than most. My last two vehicles have been plagued with repair problems and it is a major inconvenience to have a car in the shop frequently. I don't know much about the QX4 so any tips you can give me will be helpful. You mentioned "if you drive it carefully". Please expand on that for me. Buying a new vehicle is a big investment for me and I would like to get the best I can for the money.
  • Options
    Hi Patti, what I meant by drive carefully, and well summed-up by follow-up posts from others here, is that true SUV's like the QX4 (and most others you will likely consider) need to be driven carefully. I was referring to driving habits/handling, not reliabiility. In terms of reliability, the QX4 is a tank-- mine has been absolutely trouble-free. Nissan/Infiniti knows how to make a reliable car. But on handling, on dry pavement you may mistakenly believe WITH MANY SUV's (not just they QX4) that they handle like a sports car. On dry pavement, the QX4 is pretty incredible, it handles better than some sports cars in my opinion. But these bigger/true SUV's (this includes the BMW X5 for example) are more difficult to handle if you get into trouble, as in slipping or fishtailing on wet pavement for example. My point is, if you get an SUV, remember you are driving a truck. Drive the speed limit and, on wet or under bad conditions, drive slower and more carefully than you would with a standard car. That's what I meant by drive carefully. If you don't want reliability problems and have a low tolerance for them as I do, you'll have to stock to one of the three major Japanese makers and their standard/luxury brands, as in Nissan/Infiniti, Toyota, and Honda (whatever their luxury brands are, I always mix them up). In terms of value, quality, reliability, etc, I think amongst this group, in my opinion and for my quality/utility/value/reliability criteria, the QX4 wins.