Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Options
    pfleegpfleeg Member Posts: 10
    Can you provide a picture of the wood kit after it's installed? I'd like to see what it looks like? I have a black 2001 QX4 and have been considering this option. Tx, pfleeg
  • Options
    markinctmarkinct Member Posts: 11
    I am from West Hartford, and orginally went to Greenwich because I have a friend in Westport. The Hartford dealer is very convenient for me.
  • Options
    ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    in my other piece of junk, a '97 ford exploder, we experienced a relatively strong low speed vibration. my '98 qx4 does not have this problem. it turned out to be bent front driveshafts. the easy do-it-yourself diagnosis is to find a hill where you can roll the vehicle in neutral. if the vibration is not present, then it's gonna be in the drivetrain, somewhere... the replacement of the driveshafts cured the problem.

it it still shakes, then move downstream and suspect wheel bearings, brake rotors or bent wheel.

good luck,
    ace
  • Options
    apollo8apollo8 Member Posts: 9
    I've been reading the posts in this forum and found them to be very enlightening. I've been SUV shopping for a few months and now that me present car has been sold must purchase new one. My first choice was the Lexus RX300 (hello tonychrys!) but the price is quite high in my estimation and difficult to justify. Also, Lexus dealers here in Canada are not willing to deal very aggressively so I have had to walk. My wife and I drove the QX4 again today, have test driven the ML320, MDX, RX300 and QX4 on many occasions. All have there pluses and minuses. Each one has it's own character, so I will not judge the owners of each. To each his own. Can all who have bought in Canada (Toronto especially) tell me what prices they have negotiated in Canadian dollars. excluding federal and provincial taxes. Sorry for the long-winded message. THANKS!
  • Options
    johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    reb12: I don't have the vibration in my QX4 but this has been discussed in the Nissan Pathfinder board, usually described as a shimmy. Check out "Nissan Pathfinder Club-Problems & Solutions #167" for a link to the Technical Service Bulletin (in PDF format) released by Nissan for the shimmy problem. If you have any question, hop on over to the Nissan Pathfinder Main Comment Area and check out the posts there. Plenty of info exists on fixes.

-johnskev
  • Options
    metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    Does anyone have a firm date for when the 2002qx4 will be in dealer showrooms?
  • Options
    reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    I really love this QX4. Probably the best, smoothest running, luxury equiped vehicle I have ever owned. Only 3 complaints are the running boards that get in the way, the inability to adjust the brightness of the temp/compass(it's too bright at night, so I just open the sunglass bin door) and lastly, the outside digital temp says it's about 7% warmer than it really is. This happens all the time, even when I'm driving at 60+ mpg.

Otherwise It's a wonderful vehicle! I really like the navigation system.
  • Options
    apollo8apollo8 Member Posts: 9
    Just drove home our new QX4. Wow! We love this car, the headlights at night are unbelievable. A true luxury SUV in all ways. A couple of questions, what is the break in period? What type of winter mats have people found good. Which leather conditioner is good to use. I am looking forward to many happy miles in our new Titannium 01 QX4!!!...;)))))
  • Options
    bfannbfann Member Posts: 8
    i live in seattle and am thinking about trying the canadian route for the Qx4. does anyone have a vancouver dealer that they have done this with? is the canadian option good for just a straight purchase or can you lease as well?

thanks much
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    bfann,
    I sent you an email with a contact and more info. Everybody has been using this dealer that I know of, but I don't want to post it all over the place and make it look like "advertising". You will need to do a purchase - they can't lease to US residents. But with the savings of a few thousand dollars, this might be the best anyway.
    -Jon
  • Options
    george328george328 Member Posts: 11
    Went to my local Infiniti dealer but they didn't have all the colors in stock. Are there any websites that have photos of the QX4's in their various colors? The infiniti.com website photos are too small.

BTW- This forum has been great, spent the past few weeks reading the posts. Will be purchasing a QX4 by the end of the month. Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    liemnliemn Member Posts: 8
    Just got a new Titanium late last night, it's time to buy if you are looking for one, great discount since they are preparing for 2002 model.
    I have two questions for you:

1: What should be the position of Head light switch during normal operation? There are 4 of them: Off, Auto, "semi-on" and On. Is it okay just to leave it at Auto all the time?

2: Break in period: How long and what kind of speed it should be? Should I try to cruise it at 65 MPH?

Thanks,
  • Options
    vikingfan2vikingfan2 Member Posts: 8
    Should be making mine in the next month or so. Can you provide some details of your negotiations?? How much did you pay?? What options did you get (sunroof, sport, premium, etc.?) Where was their starting point for negotiations?? I'd be really interested in your comments as well as others who purchased recently. Thanks.
  • Options
    jeepluvjeepluv Member Posts: 37
    Liemn, I'd be interested in what kind of deal you negotiated. I bought a Titanium/Sport/Premium/Sunroof/Deflector for invoice about a month ago. The dealer started off less than $500 over invoice. I probably could have negotiated a better deal, but due to time constraints and the fact that they're the only Infiniti dealer in town, I didn't push too hard. I imagine the deals are even better now! Just wish I could have held off a bit longer. For any new deals I would think you can get invoice if not below.

As far as headlights, you can leave them on Auto, however the manual says frequent on/off will shorten the life of the Xenon headlights. So, depending on how often the lights would cycle ona typical day, you may not want to do that. For break-in, look in the manual; it gives the guidelines. Basically for the 1st 1000 miles, vary your speed (ie no cruising at 65) and no high revs; doesn't define that but I think on other vehicles I've had, no more than 2500 - 3000 rpm. Congrats and enjoy - I love mine!
  • Options
    I bought a Titanium 4x2, Premium and Sunroof, Deflector for less than 32k.
  • Options
    petem5petem5 Member Posts: 21
    I will be picking up my new BURGUNDY 4wd Premium/Sunroof/Sport/Deflector on Friday!!! Final price was 34,600, with little discussion (almost $400 under invoice). I said I had a very low price already, could they do better? And they did. Fortunately, there are many dealers to choose from in NJ!

George -- do you have the book from the dealer? There are color samples in the back that are fairly true. Millenium Jade is greener than the book shows and Silver Sage must be seen in person.

Vikingfan2 -- Our negotiations started a few weeks ago when we did the test drive. We weren't ready to buy and the sales person gave us some numbers, which led us to request quotes from other dealers, which kept getting better the more calls we made. Much to my amazement, the original salesperson refused to offer a deal less than 36 even when I told him he wasn't even close to what had been offered. He wanted to know who we were dealing with and kept saying "I don't know how they can go any lower and stay in business -- they must have a lower cost factor. I can get you a better price but then you can't have all the options." This was not the Infiniti "experience" I expected!

I learned from another dealer that they all have the same cost factor -- Infiniti treats them all the same. The advertising fee is $450, one dealer mentioned specifically that it is not included in the invoice price, but no one else did.
  • Options
    Someone posted this awhile back but never got a reply, as I'm also curious, I'm going to quote it again, hopefully one of you can explain it to me. Forgive me if it's a stupid question. Thanks in advance...

<< Could someone please help me decide whether to buy a 2x4 or a 4x4 QX4. I live in the suburb, do not own anything that could be towed. I don't normally go off road. This QX4 that I am going to buy will used for commuting... (and occasional camping trips) Please let me know if gas mileage is different even if the 4X4 switch is turned off... I live in southern california, so it rains a little bit. Is it worth it to get a 4X4 just for that?>>
  • Options
    Petem- yes I have the book, it's just really hard to visualize from a little square patch. I'm going to visit a few more dealers after work tomorrow to see the colors in person. Congrats on your purchase, can't wait to purchase mine.
  • Options
    couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    There is no 2WD QX4 in Canada but since there is one in the US and considering your needs, 2WD would be fine. But what about resale value - whether a need or not, a lot of people want 4WD or AWD ...
  • Options
    vikingfan2vikingfan2 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for input. Would you mind posting the names of the dealer in NJ you purchased from, and especially which one wouldn't even try to earn your business by not matching other offers. Thanks. Enjoy your new QX4. That Burgundy color is really nice. I live in Northern VA, and most QX4 Burgundy owners I talk to just so happens to also be Redskin fans!!
  • Options
    pfleegpfleeg Member Posts: 10
    Have any '01 QX4 owners experienced the in-dash CD changer not accepting CD's? The behavior is not predictable and happens sporadically. It will accept a CD and then spit it back out with an error condition on the display. If I try another CD slot, occasionally the changer will accept the CD. Very strange.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The auto AWD system only activates when the rear wheels start to slip (you have to set it in "Auto" mode), so in most situations, you're in RWD mode anyway. There is little or no fuel economy difference as a result. Might as well spend a bit more money and get double the amount of traction when you need it, IMHO. What is a 2WD SUV but a RWD enclosed pickup truck ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    dshmulerdshmuler Member Posts: 1
    Lease deal
    I have an offer for 39 months, $450 a month including tax, with $1196.00 initial payment, this includes $1,000 coupon to previous owners.
    4x4, with luxury package. Anyone find anything better.
  • Options
    I agree with Drew's points. Alternatively, you can leave it in 2WD only until you need it. Economy shouldn't be much different, just a little extra weight associated with the 4x4 system. From my perspective, it's worth the peace of mind knowing it's there if needed (live in KS, so do generally need during winter).
  • Options
    Not really a complaint, but a question. Has anyone else noticed that their engine feels and sounds considerably "rougher" above 3,000rpm (ie, more noise and vibration)? Maybe it's just because the motor's so smooth at low rpm, but I feel a noticeable change right around 3,000rpm, regardless of how fast I'm accelerating. Haven't had any extended trips above that speed, so not sure if it would persist, but I do notice it driving around town. Anyone have thoughts or comments?
  • Options
    I've notice a little "strange noise" coming from the rear and was told it's coming from the roofrack of the 01 models. Infiniti is working on the issue and my dealer will notify me when the fix is available.
  • Options
    Drew & jeepluv, thanks for your input. CarsDirect is now looking for a 4WD, black w/premium, sports & navigation. Unfortunately they're having a hard time locating one in SoCal, I guess they're really popular. So now I play the waiting game... it's killing me.
  • Options
    Well, I played around with this today (hey, any excuse to go fast!), and it seems like once the speed has leveled off it gets smoother. Maybe it's just a quirk? Anyway, still interested in whether anyone else has noticed.

George, I feel for you. I'm sure they are around, though; this weekend our dealer advertised they have like 20 or 25 in stock. Based on what I saw when we bought, they're all 4x4/sport/premium, only difference is whether they get Navi. They did have a couple/few in black a month ago, so you should find something. Good luck!
  • Options
    Well they found one! Black ext. /graphite int., 4WD, premium, navigation, rear wind spoiler, lojack, $35,858. not the best price but I'll settle for it.

Will pick it up tomorrow after work. It's going to be a long day.
  • Options
    Yeh, I notice the noise and vibration around 300 rpm as well. I think they all do it and have read many posts that refer to the loud engine that has to really work hard at higher rpm's.

I like to hear my engine though, and the other features of this superb vehicle make it one hell of an SUV compared to the others I have owned and driven.
  • Options
    I have reread my manual a few times and can not find out whether the CD player has a shuffle feature ... whichenables you to hear tracks from all of the CDs in the machine instead of one CD in fiull, and then the next. Has anyone figured this out?

Also has anyone noticed that their ride gets a bit choppy over bumps ..is that because of the rear axle and not rear independent suspension?

Love my silver sage w/ prem/sport/sunroof/rear deflector/woodkit/pinstripe ...it looks sharp! Dealer tells me that finding a '01 with Navigation now is nest to impossible!

Thanks everyone.
  • Options
    Rick, I agree, the engine sounds nice, and it certainly is the best vehicle I've owned; I was just hoping to make sure that the vibration/roughness wasn't a problem with mine! Regardless, love the QX.

Mark, I seem to recall there is a shuffle feature; don't have my manual in front of me, but think I remember reading it in the manual and thinking I probably wouldn't use it because of the disc change time! As far as bumps, try checking your tire pressure. I had thought it was awfully rough over bumps, too, and after one particularly bad evening, checked the pressure. It was 36psi rather than the recommended 26psi! I personally think 26 is a bit low, so dropped it down to 30-32 and it rides much smoother now. Just make sure you check it cold (ie, after sitting overnight or for a few hours).
  • Options
    marleyboymarleyboy Member Posts: 7
    The CD player does have a shuffle feature.
    You activate by pressing the middle button
    between the track forward/track reverse buttons
    on the left bottom side of the CD player
    (or its the middle button between the in-song
    forward reverse buttons on the right side).

I agree with jeepluv - the disc change time is
    long enough that you probably won't be using
    the shuffle feature much, although I do
    occasionally use the single-disc shuffle.
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I own an 01 PF and my shuffle feature is selected by repeatedly pressing "2" on the head unit while a CD is playing. The "1" and "3" buttons serve to skip back and forward from song to song on a single disc. Pressing "2" scrolls through several different playback modes such as repeat single disc, play all discs (?disci or disc)anyway, I think the shuffle is the 3rd selection.
  • Options
    metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    E-mailed Infiniti the other day. They say the info for the 2002 QX4 will be out September 1st.
  • Options
    I picked up my BURGUNDY (love the color)
    Q last night! Does anyone else think the radio is hard to read or is it just me? There doesn't seem to be any contrast between the numbers and the background.

Markinct -- was your woodkit installed by the dealer or did you get one aftermarket? Cost?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Just picked up my Black QX4 tonight. Time to sit down and read the manual!
  • Options
    The manual says 0 on a flat road, my dealer says 2?
  • Options
    Anyone know of a way to dim this at night. It's very bright and for now I am just lowering the sunglass compartment door.
  • Options
    Pete, the wood kit was dealer installed. Unless you're handy, I wouldn't attempt this myself. You can go to wooddash.com and they sell these kits to the public, but then getting it installed might be tough because the installer is going to want to make a profit on the prts and not just labor. I wish I had a digital camera so I could take a pic of it for you. It is soooo beautiful. When I look at a QX4 w/out the kit, the center console looks plastic-y and cheap. Pete ... negotiate with your dealer on price. I think the actual cost to the dealer is around $300 ...and they are asking $700-800 for the kit installed.

George, regarding the headlight setting ... my dealer and the manual told me to put it on Zero. You only change the setting when the terrain causes the lights to shine in the mirror of the ca in front of you ... e.g. going up or down hills.

Mark
  • Options
    Is it real wood? Also, anyone know what will be different on the 2002 QX4?
  • Options
    couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    Kidding - right?
  • Options
    Ho ..it's plastic made to look like wood. Very nice though.
  • Options
    George, congrats on your black Q. Black was our backup if burgundy was not available. Our salesperson told us headlights should be set on 0.

Mark, thanks for your info on the wood dash. The 20 piece set (w/o door panels) is 278. The only piece I care about is the console piece -- it looks really empty. I will make some calls about installation. Silver sage is a great color too -- impossible to describe to someone who hasn't seen it.

This was our first weekend with the Q and fortunately, we had places to go that were far away! I think we put almost 200 miles on. It is great -- either to drive or just be a passenger. The visibility is fantastic -- the big side mirrors and the proportion of the vehicle -- I never feel like I have a blind spot.
    Hope everyone is enjoying their Q as much as we are.
  • Options
    OK, I hate to bore anyone with this debate, but I picked up my 2001 QX4 about 3 weeks ago. Silver Sage with the birds eye maple. I understand that the steering wheel is plastic, but was told that the console and trim above the glovebox was real wood. It sure looks fake to me, but does anyone know for sure what it is made of?

This car was made for me as I had to order it because I wanted the navigation system, so it is a late model 2001.
  • Options
    mikes_qmikes_q Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a used QX4, but w/o the transimitter. Does anyone know how much it is to replace ?
    Thanks...
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You might try searching eBay; the key fobs seem to be pretty common there, at least for some brands. Good luck

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    mikes_qmikes_q Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, but no QX FOBS. (What the hell does FOBS mean anyways ?) I wonder if the dealer has them, although it will cost an arm and a leg...I need one. :)
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Fob: An ornament or seal attached to such a chain or ribbon.

:-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Don't know for sure, but we had to replace one on an Acura and it was only $30 or $40, so not bad. I'd just check with the dealer, as they have to code it anyway.