Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti QX4

Comments

• Options
    metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    I had to get a second one for my G20 and it ran me about $90.

On another topic, Infiniti said (via e-mail response) that info on the '02 QX4 would be out on 9/1. Anyone heard/seen anything? I'm trying to find out definitively if there are any significant changes afoot before I decide '01 vs '02.

Thanks,
    metmdx
  • Options
    cutea79cutea79 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I picked up my 01 Dover white/Silver Sage, (every package & option possible except navigation) QX4, 3 weeks ago. I absolutely love it. I haven't had any problems whatsoever. I love going into the dealership because they treat me like royality... even if I walked in wearing my pajamas. Most luxury car dealerships don't even want you walking through their doors unless you're of upper class status. This makes me very happy because I'm just an ordinary, middle class person. Anyway, back to the truck. The dash blows me away... the blue is so nice on the eyes. I've seen some people on here complain about the stereo. I have had premium stereo equiptment in my car for years, along with subwoofers in my truck. I must say.. the bose system is not that bad. I'm impressed. I took the subs out of my old car to put in the truck.. and I'm pretty much convinced that for the work, I don't even need it. To me this truck is just pure luxury. I went from driving a rinestone to a diamond... so the difference is significant. It's just so much fun to drive this thing! I have pics posted on the web, but last night I tried to post my message with the website and it didn't go through. Is that not allowed? I hope everyone enjoys their Q as much as I do.
  • Options
    jeepluvjeepluv Member Posts: 37
    marleyboy, thanks for the info awhile back on the cargo liner. I'm looking at getting one due to the various messes my dogs create. My only question is, what type of material is the cargo liner made of? Is it rubber, such that it would be provide a decent grip for the dogs to stand on, or more plasticky, where it might be slick and they'd slide around the back? A question only for dog nuts, I know:), but thanks for any info. After 1500 miles in about 5 weeks, still loving my Q!
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    I still get lots of mail on my previous posts about going to Canada to get a QX4 to save money. The exchange rate is still really good. But there is now a rebate in Canada so prices are even lower. A QX4 with AWD, Sport pkg, Sunroof, and Premium pkg will end up about $28,900! I did post some general info above at #641, but better to just email me because I have lots more on the process that I wrote up. Glad to help anyone.
    -Jon
  • Options
    marleyboymarleyboy Member Posts: 7
    As far as I can tell, the cargo liner is vinyl.
    Not very slip resistant for the dogs. I have to
    alter my driving habits when the dogs are in the
    back so that they don't slip and slide when they
    are sticking their heads out the windows and I
    have to brake! But because it's a bit slippery
    and because my old guy has arthritis (among other
    maladies), I also put a blanket in the back.

I know that third parties make the rubber kind of
    cargo liners that you are thinking of, but I am
    betting that those cargo liners will only cover
    the cargo floor with the rear seats up. The
    "official" QX4 cargo liner will cover the entire
    cargo floor with the seats down. Came in handy
    last weekend when I had to haul 1000 lbs. of
    rocks and chips up a steep hill.
  • Options
    pfleegpfleeg Member Posts: 10
    Here's an online retailer offering the '01 QX4 vinyl cargo liner: http://infinitipartspeople.com/Infiniti/
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, guys. The online site definitely has better prices than the dealer! Had hoped the dog-friendliness would be better, but I'm currently just using a blanket, so it'd be nice to have the extra protection. I think I'll check around re rubber liners first, though. Will post if I find anything good.
  • Options
    george328george328 Member Posts: 11
    The only info I could find was at cars.com's 2002 new vehicle section. They mentioned an intelligent cruise control & five additional exterior colors. Couldn't be sure if this was '01 info brought forward to '02 though.

Petem- I've also been spending the weekends racking up mileage, very smooth ride. Ice cream fingerprints from the kids... but that's another story.

Congrats on your Q, cutea79.
  • Options
    FYI....I found out...go to www.infinitinews.com

There is release about info/colors/etc.....No new pictures yet, but I don't think there's anything major new exteriorwise.....
  • Options
    metmdx, you beat me to it! You can also link to the info release thru http://www.nissannews.com

Can't remember everything, but highlights are: intelligent cruise control; new exterior colors; chromed wheels as an option; faster in-dash CD; real wood steering wheel. In other words, no huge changes.

Speaking of real wood, I was under the impression both from the QX4 brochure and past comments on this board that the trim on the console and above the dash is real wood (at least for later production models), and the steering wheel is fake. However, upon close inspection mine looks fake, too (doesn't look bad, just looks like the edges are plastic). But, if you read this news release, it says the steering wheel is authentic bird's-eye maple wood-TONE trim (not authentic wood trim!), so maybe it is all plastic after all. Nothing like clarity, eh? I'll have to re-read the brochure to see what wording it used. Not a huge issue, just kinda liked the idea of real wood :)

j

• Options
    petem5petem5 Member Posts: 21
    Hello, all Q-lovers, Pete's wife here. I love saying "my truck my truck my truck" over and over (I hope that's not too obnoxious, but I waited a long time for something that moved me enough to part with money!). Turned 1000 miles today, only took 15 days, and it was fun! George, I can't believe you let ice cream enter your Q!

I have been looking into cargo liners (2 dogs, golf clubs, want to keep the carpet nice). Here is what 2 hours of web research has produced:

There are not that many cargo liners out there, but they all claim to "custom fit your vehicle." The major choices are Husky, which is thermoplastic rubber with a 2 inch lip. It comes in black, tan or grey. The best price I found was www.accessconnect.com for $67 -- couldn't get the shipping info w/o purchasing. Next best price was $80 + 12 shipping. The other big choice is WeatherTech, made of thermoplastic rubber with a 3 inch lip, also available in black, tan or grey. The best price was on www.truckstuffusa.com for $90, free shipping and no sales tax unless you are in TX. Both Husky and WeatherTech make front and rear floor mats. If you are thinking ahead to bad weather, you can save $ if you buy some combination of stuff and the shipping is usually free. The sites I listed above are cheapest for liner-only.

If you don't care about brand, www.mats4less.com has a un-branded 2 inch lipped one for $70, free shipping.

If you are looking for a different idea, try www.hatchbag.com. In the full size, this one lines the whole cargo area, including up to the windows and seat backs. Regular covers only behind the seats. It is made of 20mil PVC covered nylon, is tearproof, waterproof and stays put with velcro. If this is the liner for you, buy it at www.neserum.com (a pet supply site)to save about $20.

If none of those grab you, try www.autoanything.com for additional choices from Canvasback, Highland and Catchall.

If you are into shopping or looking at gear, try these sites not mentioned previously: urbanjunglesuv.com and roadworksauto.com.
  • Options
    Wow, Pete's wife, great info! I've done a little looking too, but not nearly as extensive. Basically I just looked at pet supply sites. Several also carry the Husky liners, but given that they're all under the same part number and list a number of SUV's, I'm not sure how "custom" they are. Maybe Husky's site has more options. The Hatchbag doesn't look bad, and for those of you who want something primarily for pets or light stuff, there's a cargo pet bed at http://www.rcsteele.com or http://www.drsfostersmith.com that is made of some kind of material for the pups, with a vinyl backing and side bolsters for cargo-area protection. Happy shopping!
  • Options
    pem1pem1 Member Posts: 3
    Has anybody installed aftermarket side window deflectors? Any recommendations? I am going to lease a QX4, and the dealer's quote ($256) seems very high, but I would love to be able to open a window when it's raining!
  • Options
    reb12reb12 Member Posts: 41
    pem1:

I bought them from the dealer and installed them myself. The total cost was between $60 and $70 for all four. They say Infiniti on them and look nice. Real easy to install yourself. Only takes about 20 minutes to line them up right.
  • Options
    pem1pem1 Member Posts: 3
    reb12:
    Where do you live? That's quite a difference in price! (I'm in NY, on Long Island.) How do they stick to the window-is there glue or something used?
  • Options
    pem1,

live in the Twin Cities. Contact Jim Lupient Infiniti at 763 546-5577 or check out their web site www.lupient.com

They might have sold them to me at cost, but either way, if you install the price should be far below what they quoted to you.
  • Options
    I see here on the Edmunds site that there is $1,000 dealer cash on the QX4. Can anyone confirm the owner loyalty amount if it's in effect in the northeast? Also, do you have to be titled owner or if your spouse owns one, can you get one? Is there any other rebate in effect?

Thanks,
    metmdx
  • Options
    mancar1mancar1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to lease a QX4 4X4, Premium, Sunroof, Sport for $444 not including taxes, $2585 down. The price was $36,000 with a 1.5% APR. $1000 is going to cap cost reduction and $1585 is going to among other fees and taxes, a Bank Fee of about $700 which reduces the APR to that very low 1.5%.

Does this sound good?
  • Options
    mattgomattgo Member Posts: 4
    I have a 97 QX4 with 77k miles, and I've noticed that if I turn the truck off with it still in the auto or 4wd setting, it kind of jumps out of gear with a clunking noise. Is this normal? Also, I recently noticed that sometimes the truck kind of jumps forward a little, on it's own, when I am stopped, but in drive. I think this happens the next day after I have driven in auto or 4wd. One of the times it did this, I noticed an orange 4WD light lit up on the dash. Has anyone ever heard of this?
  • Options
    ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    pathetic dealer service dept., the jarring CLUNK when you shut the vehicle off with the 4wd system in AUTO is normal. This has happened since new on my '98.

Shocking, but normal.

Anyone else challenge their dealer on this problem?

Ace
  • Options
    Mancar1, is this on an 01 or 02, and how long is your lease and how many miles is the dealer giving you? If it is an 01, you can negotiate a better price with the dealer -- they are getting $1000 incentive, which could go up with 02s coming out and generally, SUV sales are in the potty with gas prices and the overall economy. The 60 month 3.9 financing is pretty attractive if you are thinking of buying.

Warning -- this is an extemely addictive vehicle and you will drive it everywhere. I have had mine almost 3 weeks and I am approaching 1200 miles, and my daily commute is only 25 roundtrip! It will make you want to go places on weekends.
  • Options
    Mancar1, I agree with petem5; if it's an '01, you should be able to get a better deal; several people have posted of getting below invoice on a purchase. My local dealer is advertising that 0.9% financing is available, although I'm not sure for what term. At any rate, I'd try negotiating a little more, and take petem5's points re miles into consideration as well; I'm certainly racking them up in mine (though not quite as fast!)
  • Options
    johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    reb12: I noticed you said you're in the Twin Cites, as am I. Did you purchase from Jim Lupient Infiniti? How are you satisfied with their service?

Also, do you do any offroading? If so, where do you go? Thanks for any info reb12.

johnskev
  • Options
    mikes_qmikes_q Member Posts: 3
    Own a 98 Q, just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the "Service Engine Soon" light being on all the time ? Brought it to Infinity in Canada, they replaced the O2 sensor and apparantly it has gone away. Although I've heard people having problems with this before. Is there any other way of resetting the light ?

Boy, Love the '01 Q's...Gorgeous

Thanks in Advance.
  • Options
    Johnskev. Yes I purchased from Jim Lupient and love their service so far. I've only got about 3000 mi on my 2001. I got the navigation system and love it. All around this is the best vehicle I have ever owned, so far anyway.
  • Options
    vikingfan2vikingfan2 Member Posts: 8
    Hey all, looks like Infiniti finally has some pictures available of the 2002 QX4. Go to www.infinitinews.com and click on the products link on the right hand side under Infiniti. Nice looking interior. Helped me decide I'll try to deal on a 2001 rather than pay invoice + $900-$1000 on a 2002. I've also used one of those Radio Data Systems offered on the 2002, and they're pretty cool, provided most radio stations send the data signal.
  • Options
    george328george328 Member Posts: 11
    Just saw the photos. What's that doohickey attached behind the grill? It's in the same photo as the new cruise control system.
  • Options
    1997qx4owner1997qx4owner Member Posts: 1
    I just got an extra keyless entry remote for my 1997 QX4 off Ebay. The program instruction that came with the remote is clear as mud. Can anybody help?
  • Options
    couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    Should have read the text too ...

A new feature for the 2002 model year is Intelligent Cruise Control, a system shared with the Q45 flagship sedan. The system adjusts the vehicle’s speed and distance to traffic in front of the car when the cruise control is operated and reacts to traffic speed changes far faster that a driver can, increasing the safety margin for the QX4 driver and passengers. This system combines laser sensors, throttle and brake actuators, keeping a constant distance between the QX4 and cars ahead.
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Here's how to do for a 2001. I suppose it's worth a try and see if this is the same for a '97 if the instructions seem at all similar. If all else fails, the dealer can do it with their computer.
    1) Get in car and close all doors.
    2) Insert and remove key from ignition more than 6 times within 10 seconds (hazard lights will flash twice).
    3) Insert key again and turn to ACC position
    4) Push any button on new remote once (hazard lights will flash twice). At this time the oldest code is erased and the new code is entered.
    5) To program additional remotes (maximum of four), lock the driver's side door (unlock first if it's locked) with the LH door switch, and then go to step 4.,
    6) Open driver's side door.
    -Jon
  • Options
    I keep seeing mention of this program. Can anyone confirm? I don't see it listed as part of "rebates/incentives" here on Edmunds. Are there any other programs not listed?

Thanks !
  • Options
    drshrinkydrshrinky Member Posts: 1
    Where can I buy heavy duty bumper guards for the front and back for my 2001 QX4?
  • Options
    marleyboymarleyboy Member Posts: 7
    Waag front bumper guard and rear taillight guards is what my Infiniti dealer had installed on my 2001 QX4 when I bought it off the showroom floor. I later installed their rear bumper guard myself.

You can take a look at http://www.waag.com. You cannot order directly from the site, but you can contact them for a local reseller, or you can go to http://www.driverfx.com to order.

• Options
    Can anyone give me "real world" gas mileage figures and the circumstances you drive in?

thanks,
    metmdx
  • Options
    About 17mpg, 50/50 city/hwy. All hwy. approaches 20mpg. This is with premium on a 2001
  • Options
    About the same as reb12, maybe slightly less as a)more city than hwy, and b) only 1800 miles; apparently mpg increases for some time.
  • Options
    A while ago, my compass and temp gauge started flashing. I turned it off and back on, and was still flashing. Now, the compass is off. When I know I'm going exactly North, it will display North-East. Is there a way to reset or calibrate the compass?

Also, I wrote earlier about my truck moving forward on it's own after I used the Auto 4WD. I took it to the dealer and they determined that the Auto Trans Control Unit is bad. The part itself costs about $460, but they weren't positive that this would fix my problem. Has anyone heard of this going bad? I have about 77K miles on a 97 QX4.

For various reasons, I will not be going back to this dealer. Does anyone know of a good Infiniti service place around Chicago? I was thinking of trying Infiniti of Lisle (close to my home), any comments or experiences? If so, please let me know.

-Matt
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    If I remember the manual correctly, there is a process for calibrating the compass according to your location in North America. The manual has a small map with lines that break up N.A. into zones (like time zones) with numbers for each one. By holding down the button (or something) you get the screen which asks you to enter the zone number. That should set it properly.

As for the Auto4wd problem, are you talking about the sudden short "lurch" that occurs immediately after you turn the truck off after having driven in auto4wd for awhile? My 2001 PF LE gets that occasionally (doesn't bother me as it doesn't seem dangerous), and I've seen many posts about it both in the Pathfinder forum and this QX4 forum. From what I've heard, it is a normal operating "characteristic" of this Auto4wd system. Of course, that assumes this describes your problem....
  • Options
    Right-o on the compass, phil47; I don't have the manual in front of me, but you can calibrate it to your location; I think you have to hold the button until it flashes, then step thru to the correct zone; again, it should be in your manual.

As far as the lurch, I have the same thing you described on my 01QX. Doesn't seem to always happen; hopefully it is normal!
  • Options
    I've accepted the lurch when I turn the truck off, but the one that bothers me is when I'm driving in 2WD the next day after using Auto4WD. I'll come to a stop sign or something, and the truck seems to lurch forward for no reason, similar to when you turn the truck off in Auto4WD. The first time it happened, I thought someone bumped me from behind, but there wasn't anyone there. It doesn't move forward too much now, but I'd hate for this to get worse and have it bump into something in front of me.
  • Options
    320cobra320cobra Member Posts: 17
    Mattgo, I have just felt the exact symptom you described after driving my newly purchased 2001 QX4 - tuscon beige, premium, sport, bridgestone tires & DVD player. Last night, after driving in the 2 wheel drive mode for the past 2 weeks and reading about this lurching issue, I decided to switch to the "auto" mode since it appears this is the mode I should be driving in anyway. When I got home and shut the vehicle off, it jerked forward slightly. It was barely noticeable, but it must be what you are talking about. Hopefully, this is a normal condition, but I am concerned. After owning a 93 JGC, a 96 JGC, a 99 Expedition and a 99 Dodge Ram, I have to say that none of these 4x4's exhibited this characteristic. All I can attribute this to is maybe something similar to the 70's and early 80's series automobiles that used to role forward or backward upon shut down of the engine and removal of your foot from the brake pedal. Does anyone know if there is a service bulletin on this? Otherwise, after approximately 1,000 miles, I am very happy with my QX4. No shimmy, no wind noise, just perfectly smooth and fun to drive!
  • Options
    320cobra320cobra Member Posts: 17
    Mattgo, you didn't; say which dealer you were thinking about switching from. I bought mine at Fields Infiniti in Glenview. My wife has a 2001 I30 that we also bought at the same place. I have had the I30 serviced there a few times and they seem ok. The one problem I had with the I30 was "railroad dust" stuck to the sides of the vehicle - basically, where ever there wasn't any white plastic that covers a new vehicle is what was affected. I can best describe it as some type of residual in the shape of small tiny droplets splattered all over the vehicle that when you rub your hand across the surface of the paint, you feel a roughness. I could not remove this substance with any wax or cleaning compound - not even with a buffer. After bringing it to the service dept., they told me that the paint surface was "normal" for a black car. After pointing out the difference between the hood and the side of the fender and being able to show them a distinct line in the paint from where the plastic was protecting the hood and part of the top of the fenders, they began to scratch their heads. Finally, after showing it to the general sales manager, he said that they have seen this before and that he would send it in to a detail shop that was going to use a clay like substance to roll it all over the vehicle to remove the "railroad dust". When I got it back for the detail shop, approx. 99% of it was gone and the paint surface looks normal now. Not sure if this experience is indicative of their service dept. but, I can't say I was happy with them. Happy that the general sales manager corrected the problem though. Just wanted to let you know.
  • Options
    What's the wire for that runs down the center of the windshield. Mine is cracked and I wonder if I should have Infiniti replace it, or just go to a windshield replacement company. Thanks
  • Options
    mthomas3mthomas3 Member Posts: 33
    I questioned two dealers about owner loyalty rebates. It is a hidden rebate. If you have ever leased or owned an Infiniti before, the company gives you an extra $1000. I did not qualify. I think that the dealer participates in the rebate in some way, and also figures that few rebates will be paid out.

Dealers make lots of money, so try some hard bargaining. From the deals that go at full price, they can afford to make great deals to a few who are willing to bargain hard.

I bought my 2001 QX4 on Sept 7. I started bargaining at $3000 below invoice, and walked out on 2 different dealers during the bargaining. The successful dealer was willing to sell at $1000 below invoice plus forego $750 in mark-ups for paint protection and other dealer add ons. The first $1000 came from a dealer incentive. I also took them up on the 60 month, 3.9% financing, which will save me $2700 over the life of the loan compared to my credit union. I figured that the dealer still made at least $1100 on the deal, (my salesman later confirmed this) which was OK by me.

After Sept 11, the other dealer called to say that they would go $2000 below invoice. All of the dealers are hurting, and I saw way too much inventory at both dealers. More dealer incentives may be in effect. Now is the time to buy a 2001 QX4 for anyone interested in a deal.

Interestingly, I started out to buy a Pathfinder, but the stock was low and I could not find what I wanted. Nissan had a $1500 rebate plus financing that cleaned out the lots.

Mark
  • Options
    I am an engineer, so the first week I had my 2001 QX4, I crawled under it to study everything.

The 4WD system is worked electrically from the dash. On the transfer case, there are electric motors or solenoids that activate the system. By driving in AUTO or another 4WD setting, you engage the transfer case electrically. In 2WD, or with the engine off, the transfer case will disconnect the front axle. 4wd often creates a little binding in the drivetrain, particualry during steering. So, when you turn off the engine, the mechanical stresses are released, and it lurches. The rear axel and transmission in Park prevent it from jumping too far.

I don't like it myself, and it will add stress and wear to the system. So for the street, I leave it in 2wd, and only engage AUTO if the roads are slick or when offroading.

I had an 86 Bronco before, with a mechanical 4WD system. It would also lurch a little when taking it out of 4wd, this is normal.

Mark
  • Options
    I also do not like the running boards, but my wife won't let me take them off. Removal looks easy, just a few bolts on each side. I thought I would just remove them, store in garage, and put back on when I sell it.

Your wife should call my wife and convince her it is OK.

Mark
  • Options
    If you bought a QX4, you can afford the fuel.

My wife drives a Chrysler that requires 89 octane mid-grade gas. She buys gas at Costco (always $0.10 cheaper than others), but Costco does not sell mid-grade. I have a hard time convincing her to put in half regular and half premium, so she just puts in all premium, and I keep my mouth shut. When I fuel it, I use half and half, and she thinks I am a total cheapskate.

To her, the QX4 is better, no arguing over what gas to buy.
  • Options
    ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    expensive.

it's the second of the "dual" antennas. and yes, the glass is a major expenditure, compared to standard windshields. hope that you have a low deductible on your comprehensive.

ace
  • Options
    Has anyone else received a recall notice for rear hatch struts not being made to spec on their 2001? I just got one over the weekend. It says the struts will be replaced, free, by the dealer.

MThomas3 -- What was your out the door price and what options/add ons/color did you get?
  • Options
    Here are the details:

The sticker was
    QX4 4WD Base price $35550
    Premium package: $600
    Destination charge: $545
    MSRP Total $36695
    As you can see, mine was very basic in options.

For Phoenix zip code I calculated the invoice to be:
    base: $32257
    destin. $545
    prem pack: $450
    invoice total: $33,252

We agreed to a selling price of $32,248
    no charge for theft guard and automate paint protection or for window tint (I just refused to pay)
    I did not buy the extended warrantee
    Added to this was $5 tire disposal
    license fee of $612.49 (yes, its bad in Arizona)
    Dealer service fee $249
    Sales tax $2612 (8.1%)
    out the door $35,726

color is Tuscan Beige

I'm sure the guys who went to Canada did better. What kind of tax did you have to pay, either to Canada or your home state? Did you get the VAT rebate?