Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Woof. =)

Wannabuyavan - Size-wise the CR-V is fairly big for it's class, but it's not as heavy as most mid-size vehicles. I will say this, Honda is expecting the CR-V to earn five star ratings in the NHTSA tests and the highest rating (not ranking) for the IIHS off-set test.

If you're looking for something more like your Explorer, the Highlander would be a good choice. The upcoming Honda Pilot looks great, but may be bigger than what you are looking for. The Saturn VUE and Hyundai Santa Fe as also larger vehicles that don't quite make the mid-size class.
  • Options
    onelifeonelife Member Posts: 15
    After reading about the Mark Robert Honda Dealership in OK in here, I ordered an 2002 LX from them back in Jan. 2002. The saleperson told me it would be April before my CRV arrives. Now it is April, last week I called up the dealership and was told that the saleperson whom I dealt with had left them and my order was re-distributed to the others. I left my name and numbers and request them to give me a call when they locate the order. However, I haven't heard anything since from them.
    I am just wondering if the waiting time is normal. I am really eager to getting into my CRV and start driving it. Anyone purchased from them, care to share your experience?
    Thanks much.
  • Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I don't see any on my 02 CRV.The plastic shell
    on the front and rear may flex if lightly hit
    but I don't think it could take much to damage it.
    There is no foam inside.These are classed as trucks and don't have to meet any bumper standards.I believe the Forester and Santa Fe
    are the only SUVs in this price range that have real bumpers.I think my car came with paint
    protection coating because it was the auto show car,I tried to install molding which has 3M tape on the backside and it would not stick even after wiping the surface with alcohol.Any ideas to make it stick?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    onelife,

Surely the dealer can tell you the status of your order. Insist that they tell you where your LX is - NOW!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    geenee87geenee87 Member Posts: 30
    Wondering if anyone is hearing a whistling noise at higher speeds in honda CRV EX???? Wondering what it may be and it anyone else has experienced this????? Airleak in sunroof??? Also is there auto off headlights or not?????? Thanks for help
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    For some reason this dealership seems not to have much advanced info on when the cars will arrive. I did not have any advanced notice when my Ody arrived in Jun 99. My brother-in-law had no advanced notice for his 2002 CRV which arrived in Feb. I have a late Jan order for an April allocation for a CRV and I am pretty certain I will get a call saying it is in not a call saying it will be here in 10 days. Inky who lives in OK has relayed this msg too. If you gave them a $500 deposit they certainly should have your order. I received a purchase order about 10 days after my phone order.
    Good luck
    rockycow
  • Options
    redbelairredbelair Member Posts: 7
    When we bought our EX a few weeks ago, they didn't have our color on the lot, but the salesman showed us the computer printout of the next shipment coming in and there was one in it. We gave him the money, he gave us the VIN and three days later he called and said that our car was in.

Here in So. Cal. they're not staying on the lots, but they are available. Seems like they have just about every color, too, so one doesn't seem to be selling any faster than the other.
  • Options
    daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    My fathers EX has the same whistling as you describe. When I was sitting in the passenger seat it sounded like it was coming from the moonroof, but when I leaned foward I was almost positive that it was coming from the base of the front windshild.

I have a LX and I have not had any whistling like he has sometimes. Mostly around 45 mph....
  • Options
    cheryll1cheryll1 Member Posts: 4
    Does the spare on the 02 EX have the same wheel as those on the car, or is it different since it is just a spare? I'm planning on changing out my tires as soon as the car arrives and trying to decide if I should replace 4 or all 5.
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    You may want to try driving without changing the tires first. Personally, I find the tires quiet. Many of the complaints I have heard from others here has not happened to me. This overall car is more quiet than any Honda I have owned before-even my 2000 civic ex.
  • Options
    carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    cheryll1-Same tires all around including the spare. Read varmints advice about switching tires.

genee87-I believe all of our legs are being pulled re: auto-off headlights.

For accessories I like http://www.hondapartsforyou.com (no affiliation---just have bought from them a few times). Free shipping, good prices, some lower than other discount sites.
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    onelife: I went to the dealer and they did not had the color
    that my wife wanted, they showed my the list of vehicles they order or going to that dealer including the vin #'s next to it the "sold" word they told me it was going to be around 5 weeks,they kept my trade in and gave me a 2002 accord ex to drive. I called the dealer after 3 weeks of waiting that was on a Friday they told me to call back on Monday cus they get an update on their orders every Monday, so i did they were able to tell me that the car arrived at San Diego and it was in his way to Miami. Thursday afternoon they call me at work the car was in and been check getting it ready for me i went on friday to pick the car up and it was perfect only 3 miles on it. so call the dealer they should know the cars they ordered and their
    vin#'s.
    greetings from sunny Miami
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Thanks for correcting me, Tom. I was speaking in general terms about what to look for as far as damage to bumpers.

-juice
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Well, the Honda.ca website calls them bumpers:
    "8 km/h Impact Absorbing Bumpers"
    So that's what I was calling them.
  • Options
    Are the CRV's for 2002 built? I believe from somewhere in Japan because my dad's VIN number starts with "J".
  • Options
    protege_fan: so far all of the crv are built in Japan
    FOR VEHICLES IN THIS CARLINE
    US/CANADIAN Parts Content: 0%
    Mayor Sources of Foreign Parts Content
    Japan 85%
    Note:parts and content does not include final
    assembly, distribution or other non -parts
    cost.
    FOR THIS VEHICLE
    Final Assembly Point
    SAYAMA,SAITAMA,JAPAN
    Country of Orgin: Engine: JAPAN
    Transmition: JAPAN
  • Options
    How do you read the vin #
    Engine #
    Control #
    Greetings from sunny Miami
  • Options
  • Options
    svnlasvnla Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

It had been a while that I post in here. Here is the link

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/driving/articles/43004/article.html

• Options
    jheiljheil Member Posts: 30
    Onelife,

We ordered a '02 EX from them in December. Arrived in February. Flawless transaction. I was impressed with the dealership on p/u. Everything as is. In and out within an hour. The vehicles are shipped from the west coast to Kansas City then distributed from there. Ours was caught in an ice storm when all trucking was shut down for a few days. We didn't get much notice either. Just an e-mail from our salesperson that it was in. Salersperson was always straightforward with us. We were picked up at our hotel in Tulsa by them. When we arrived at the dealership our CR-V was parked out front with a big sold sign on it and our last name (a classy way to do business). We walked away with some nice promo items and only was asked about the extended warranty twice, which we politely declined. No hidden charges, no fast moves. Nice folks. All in all, a top notch experience. Its easy to panic when doing this from far away (we bought from Idaho). I think if you are persistent you'll find the answers you need. Please keep us updated. Someone had posted about a bad experience with another salesperson who departed. Maybe it was the same one you were dealing with. Maybe that is why he is no longer at the dealership.
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    protoge_fan: FYI the Sayama plant is the same one that churned out the first-generation CR-V, and is also responsible for the Prelude and some Accord sedans.

wannabuyavan: Indeed, you can verify all the interior dimensions for yourself. If you're really feeling intimidated by Expeditions (~5700 lbs), then vehicle weight just might be an important factor for you. (Like it or not, weight plays an important role in what happens during a collision of unequals.) The question you have to ask yourself as you leave your Explorer (~4300 lbs?) is whether you are comfortable with a lighter vehicle. The CR-V weighs in at ~3400 pounds, which is on par with typical family sedans like the Accord. A Highlander comes in at ~3900 pounds; the RAV4 by comparison is a bantamweight at ~2900 pounds.

jfigueroa: If you can find someone with the Honda Service Manual, you should be able to decode VINs. For any first-generation owners that are curious, I have the 2000 SM, and can tell you how to decipher yours.
  • Options
    carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    I could be wrong but IMO there's not really much to decipher from the CR-V's VIN. In the US the last six digits will tell you what number vehicle it is. You already know which plant it came from. Other digits usually refer to engine type, SRS and things of that sort. At least that's how it worked with my Accord. Since there were different engines and different SRS systems, the VIN could tell you those things. There really isn't any variances (in the US), although I suppose the side airbags may have a different number. If you search in google under Honda VIN you will get links to some sites to decipher them.
  • Options
    All I was concerned about was the point of assembly (thus the J in the VIN) and was curious whereabouts in Japan it was made, which some have kindly answered.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info guys, by the way is the under coating on your crv's sitll very tacky to the point that things stick to it but you can not watch it off.
    Greetings From Sunny Miami.
  • Options
    muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    is it possible to install bose speakers in '02 EX?
    I went to bose web site but they did not list crv as one of 'their' cars, stating they were very choosy about how their speakers are placed. But is it possible?
    Has anyone had a bose system in any car? Quite a few of the top ten by Edmunds were bose systems. Are they really that good??
  • Options
    mdmomamdmoma Member Posts: 8
    I called my local dealer to make an appt. and inquire about the front driver seat rocking problem on my '02 CRV, he claimed that he was not aware of any problem with the '02 CRV and was not aware of any service bullitens for that vehicle. I informed him that I had hear of a service bulletin (found on this web site #02-117) which I would bring to the appt. Where can I find the specfic service bulletin and has anyone had this service performed? Did it fix the problem? Did they have to order parts? Thanks.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    IIRC, the problem has to do with a defective height adjuster.
  • Options
    mdmomamdmoma Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, canadiancl for the reply. IS the TSB available? Does service have to order a new height adjuster?
    Thanks
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I just recall someone posted about the height adjuster thing not too long ago. You might try scrolling back a few days' of posts and see if you can find it.
  • Options
    rburnardrburnard Member Posts: 28
    I doubt the TSB is available anywhere online.
    I belive the US TSB# is 02-017. I'm Canadian so I can't verify that # since it's different here.
    When I had it done they did need to order a kit for it. The fix involves replacing some bushings and washers in the seat height adjuster and according to Honda should take about 45 minutes but in reality could take a couple hours.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Mdmoma - I believe that the number posted above (02-017) is the correct number. Call your dealer back and ask the rep to check for you. Just because the service rep doesn't recall the TSB, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Good luck and report back on how it goes. Thanks.
  • Options
    wannabuyavanwannabuyavan Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice slugline & varmint. Looks like I'll wait until the Pilot comes out & consider it as well. There's certainly less sticker shock with the CRV EX though. Can't wait to get rid of the Explorer; the maintenance costs are disgusting. After enjoying a '90 Accord (had that one for 11 years), '93 Civic & '01 Ody, I think we're stuck on Hondas!
  • Options
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/Service4.cfm

I hope that works...if not, just goto www.nhtsa.dot.gov and look for service bulletin database.
  • Options
    Just saw two of the tv ads for the '02 crv - very tasteless in my opinion. Two people watching someone fall down a waterfall or off rocks, getting very seriously hurt and then saying some stupid line about reality and these two people get in there crv and drive off, is not my idea of promoting the crv. Maybe it is supposed to be some kind of humor, but it is sick. Hope Honda gets many complaints and pulls these. I think there is a lot to show off about the new crv without having to resort to violence - isn't there enough of that already in the world?
  • Options
    The CR-V commercial you reference is in no way graphic, or abusive. The kayaker is shown falling, but not going splat on rocks. I've always thought it's a cute little skit.

YMMV
  • Options
    geenee87geenee87 Member Posts: 30
    Has anyone else experienced the whistling noise with a 02 CR-V EX? And yes it does happen around 45mph
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, I kinda like that ad myself.

(steady with the RAV4 comments, diploid )

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
    muckyduck:
    I think this is what is referred to as "being outside the target demographics".
  • Options
    Not to get into a lengthy discussion about this, but most things you see on tv, movies have an undertone of violence or sex. While the guy does not go splat, anyone falling like that would have to be hurt, probably very seriously. Yet Honda talks about reality?? And then for like 3 seconds, you see two bikes in the back of the crv. The other ad I've seen again shows someone falling and for 3 seconds shows the rear seat moving forward for more storage. Reality?? The first time I ever saw one of the ads, I had no idea what it was selling - definitely not in Honda's taget audience!!!! Except, I did buy a crv but not based on these ads, believe me!!
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I think Honda is showing the CR-V is not for the Xtreme set (as in the Xterra ads), but is going for the much larger and more lucrative middle class market. And they make that point in an entertaining way (for most viewers).
  • Options
    Well I hope that you people do not go out there and buy a car because of the add they product, if you remember the add for kia in the parking lot jumping and going thru the mud and landing in the parking space before the big suv, I think it is ok but, I do not think that the kia would it land in one piece.
    greetings from sunny Miami
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    Who has removed them and how? I would like to know before hand in case the installer has any questions. Is the exhaust system stainless? It would be great if someone would respond. thanks.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    commercials seem to be making fun of the Xterra's commercials, which seem to promote extreme sports.

Bob
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I like those ads. Seems like Honda is aping the XTerra ads. I find them funny.

In one XTerra ad, a guy grabs the first aid kit and bandages his mountain bike seat. He is visibly beaten and bloodied - you could say that is far worse.

-juice

edit: a few folks beat me to it
  • Options
    Never removed the door panels...my parents don't even have it yet!

But, the exhaust is stainless steel, at least in Canada it is. From the Honda Canada website:

http://english.honda.ca/models/cr-v_benefits_description.asp#b08
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    'cause that ad sticks in my mind, and I don't own a TV. Ah, marketing....

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    steve_host: You don't own a TV? Seriously?
    Do you have regular access to a TV?
  • Options
    md,

I did buy a crv but not based on these ads, believe me!!

You'll never convince the Madison Avenue advertising execs that the ads didn't affect your purchasing decision. They advertised - you bought - case closed!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    that does not like the ads. I bought the crv before I ever saw one of the ads - I don't watch a lot of tv and when I do, I'm normally watching some cable show, so don't see a lot of mainstream commercial tv - I see a lot of stuff for $19.95 (heck, everything should be $19.95).
  • Options
    Actually, I don't much care for any ads and avoid watching them whenever possible! (The remote is the greatest invention of the 20th century, IMHO!)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs