Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I've gone to 6700+ rpms in my '99. There was a Ford ahead of me and I had to pass it before it broke down and blocked the road... =)
  • Options
    beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    Har har har. He'll be here all week folks. Don't forget to tip your waiter.

Good night all.
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
  • Options
    crvnomadcrvnomad Member Posts: 8
    Hi, all
    I bought my 2002 CR-V EX AT a week ago. Today, I was driving uphill and stopped at traffic light, when I let off the brake pedal, it started to roll back. I have never experienced this kind of problem with a auto tranny before. Is this normal? Does this have anything to do with the grade logic in this new CR-V. Thanks.
  • Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I have been driving over 35 years and have been
    hit from behind with minor damage 2 times.I made money each time.Even if an uninsured motorist
    hits me I have coverage for that.An older CRV
    which you may not have comprehensive coverage
    could be a problem if uninsured hits you.Here in
    California 1000's drive without insurance or
    drivers liscense. If you back into something
    you deserve the result.
  • Options
    ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    I have my CR-V now for 1 week I had to go back to the dealer for a wheel cover but seen that all the 2002 CR-V had the same tires and mine had diff. tires whats the deal.Or does it even matter. I bought it in Bklyn. NY
  • Options
    SSoto - CR-Vs are shod with one of two types of tire. There are Bridgestones and BFGs. Each has it's pros and cons, but most folks seem to prefer the BFGs.

Crvnomad - It's not the GradeLogic tranny. That has to do with shift points (which are computer controlled). What you're describing sounds like hardware/mechanicals. Whether or not it's a problem depends on how far back you are rolling. Have a mechanic check it out if it's bothering you. Let us know how you make out.

This info was posted on another forum, but I'll cross post it here for any lurkers... The rocking front seat issue has been addressed. If you still have the problem, have your dealer check TSB # 02-017. If in Canada, try service bulletin number IX-5-02.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    All auto tranny cars will roll back if the hill is steep enough.
  • Options
    carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    slugline: I got around to reading the CR survey more thoroughly. They lump CELs into "Fuel System". They also say it should be a "serious" problem, so I'm not sure mine qualifies.

If people who've had the problem want to report it, hopefully it will go in the correct category.

varmint: Actually I think I may have gone over 4000 rpm, this morning as a matter of fact, but certainly not consistently. I really don't need to, mine moves pretty well without winding it. So if Honda engines were meant to be revved, I wonder if not revving them causes issues?
  • Options
    Carguy - You shouldn't need to very often. Especially with the 2.4L. I only rev mine for fun.
  • Options
    Last night I got home to discover a burst water heater. This prompted an immediate trip to Home Depot at 9:00. While discussing the replacement unit with the guy in the orange apron, he asks if I have a vehicle that can transport the heater back home.

I tell him, "Sure, I've got a little Honda".

He gives me a blank stare, but I smile and head for the checkout.

The water heater was between 5-6 ft long in its box. So my wife and I wheeled the thing out to the loading area on one of those big lumber pallets. There were two guys loading some building supplies into the back of a large pickup. They're having some difficulty. It was raining.

One of them looked over his shoulder at the CR-V, then the water heater, then back to the CR-V. It wasn't hard to figure out what he was thinking. I'd already prepped the CR-V for hauling long items. The seat were folded and I had a mat ready to help it slide in. My wife opened the gate and I slid the heater inside right off the pallet.

I didn't check for an expression on the guys face, but I'm sure there was some head scratching going on. =)
  • Options
    Even in my old 89 Prelude, I got stares when I hauled stuff from HomeDepot. It cracks me up. Its amazing what a folded seat and a bungee cord can accomplish. Why didn't you use the CL? :)
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    varmint: did you make it? Did you pass that Ford before it broke, I mean? Not much time, it seems! LOL!

Were you able to close the rear door? Sweet.

Ticktock: sorry to tell you but the Element at the show has sweet looking 17" alloys and it looked like there was no hole in the fender, either.

OK, my bad, salting the wounds, I know. Sorry. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    Yes, it is a TL, but what's the difference... The trouble with the Acuras is that the rear seat back doesn't fold. There's just a pass-through for skis and such. Not a big gripe for me, but, if it were my only car, I'd be up a creek...

Juice - Actually, it rolled over before I passed it. No more problem. =)
  • Options
    Same with Legacy sedans, varmint - no folding seat. I prefer wagons anyway.

-juice
  • Options
    ticktock4321ticktock4321 Member Posts: 41
    Unlike many the wheels on the CR-V don't bother me. Neither does the pass through for the suspension. Larger wheels mean more $ when it comes time to replace them. The vehicle I purchased was designed to have the wheels it does. The Element apparently was designed to have larger wheels. I do wonder why the Element wouldn't have the pass through if it uses the same suspension as the CR-V and Civic.
  • Options
    Has anyone attempted to upgrade their stock speakers? I have a model in mind--Infinty 652i. Any suggestions? How do you remove the panels? My old prelude had panels that removed with screws. Can't find any on the CR-V. Maybe you snap off the panel??? I know it sounds decent, but I want it better. I had a nice clarion and excellent speakers in my old prelude.
  • Options
    muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    Has anyone done this? I asked my dealer to get a price and he told me they would not do it - it was already tinted in the glass. Strange they would not want to make some money - is there something wrong with adding tint to glass that has the tint built in??
  • Options
    phillyguy3phillyguy3 Member Posts: 88
    Any body have leather on 02 EX? My dealer says they won't do it because air bag may not inflate. Sounds to me like he's just protecting himself in case of lawsuit.
    Also, how has CR-V handled high winds on freeway driving?
  • Options
    One model of the CR-V comes standard with leather in Canada so draw your own conclusions whether or not yours can have leather added.

The CR-V is not a sedan. It will be effected by wind. Not too bad from what I've experienced, but not like a sedan. Around here we sometimes have high wind warnings where they ban house trailers and the like from the highways. Maybe on a day like that I'll go out and test it...then again maybe not ;-) .
  • Options
    Phillyguy - Your dealer is protecting themselves from a lawsuit. However, they have a decent reason for doing so.

The side airbags use sensors in the passenger's seat to detect if the occupant is out of position and therefore might be in the way of the airbag when it deploys. Aftermarket leather may interfere with those sensors. Then again, they might not. You'd have to be an engineer to know for sure, and your dealer probably doesn't feel comfortable making that call.
  • Options
    paddywagonpaddywagon Member Posts: 3
    Having spent the last three nights here, I'm pretty much convinced. My wife will be getting a CR-V. Higher end model worth the extra $? Any recent deals with Northern VA dealers? Sales guys to seek out or stay away from? Thank you.
  • Options
    johngalt66johngalt66 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone use the rear middle seat for a rear facing child seat? We have tried that, but the buckles are so close that the base is an awkward fit. Alternatively, has anyone found any kind of belt that will feed through the base unit and that works with LATCH? I don't know if they make such a thing, but it seems to me it would be better than a 3 point belt as the 3 point belt has an upward pulling effect on the base. I guess I really am just curious what other parents have tried or are doing.... Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

By the way, did anyone notice that the May issue of a popular consumer magazine has a review of small SUVs, including the CR-V, but with a picture of what I believe is the Pilot on the cover? I haven't read the whole magazine but I think it was a mistake. Of well, mistakes happen.
  • Options
    muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    Does anyone know the watts/channel for the '02 EX?
    Is something like this in the owner's manual - I could not find it. Would it be alright to just upgrade the speakers and not add a separate amp - would the OEM system put out enough to power better speakers?
  • Options
    seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    Bought a LATCH retro-fit kit (basically a belt/locking mechanism with two clips on either end) at Babie's R Us. If you don't have one near you, order on-line on their website. It works great. I can slide the rear seats if I need to, since it doesn't call for the use of the seat-belts. Also much easier to ensure a snug fit. Hope that helps you.
  • Options
    johngalt66johngalt66 Member Posts: 4
    We were heading to Babie's R Us today or tomorrow and I will pick one up. Thanks again.
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    This, from a story on Auto.com:

"Ford Motor Co. on Friday will begin offering rebates of $500 to $1,000 on its Escape small sport-utility vehicles, one of the few in its lineup that it had been largely selling without discounts, the Wall Street Journal reported in its online edition on Friday."

The best part is Ford's explanation why...

"A Ford spokeswoman told the Journal that the company was reacting to aggressive discounts by competitors."

Yeah, like the CR-V is being aggressively discounted!
  • Options
    crviccrvic Member Posts: 37
    johngalt66:

I bought the Cosco Triad™ with LATCH. I have it in my '02 CR-V and it was a breeze to install. The only place they sell those is K-Mart. Maybe the one by your house is having a going out of biz sale.

As far as safety, our police department here comes to your house and installs the carseat if you want to...for free! Anyhow, they recommended against putting that kind of car seat in the middle seat. I don't think the CR-V has the tether anchors in the middle seat.
  • Options
    I think it is 30 watts per channel. 120 watts total. The Infinity's 652i are supposed to fit.
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Good morning,
    In the pass I have noticed that after driving, and removing the key from the ignition is warm to the touch, have any of you 2002 crv owners noticed that too. I am not sure of how many amps or volts are going thru it as it is energized, I have not experienced that with any other vehicle. have you?
    I live in Miami so it might be the out side temperature so when I get in the car is hot maybe the heat is transferring to the key. I would keep an eye to see if that happen in the morning or at night and I will let you guys know.
    greetings from sunny Miami.
  • Options
    zopszops Member Posts: 49
    As I mentioned here a few months back
    my new EX/Auto made a bang/clang once only after each start as you accelerated to around 5/10 mph or near the 1/2 gear transition (never occured again on that drive until you reastarted again).

Took it in finally to Honda dealer and they put it up. The clang was coming from the ABS brakes. There is a self test done on the ABS each time you start car and initailly accelerate.
    Actually as you accelerate, if you keep one foot on the accelerator and the other on the brake as you go beyond 5, 10, 15 mph and beyond the 1/2 gear transition, you do not here the clang, but as soon as you release the brake, the clang occurs.

The techie had not heard it before on A CRV so decided to take 2 new EX CRVs on the lot out to see if they made the same clang noise, or was it just my vehicle. Both CRVs also made the clang noise. You may not here the bang if you have the radio on your keys make clings. But once you here it, you do notice it thereafter.

Give it a ry and post observations.
  • Options
    daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    The key for the 2002 crv has a computer chip in it that gives your key an unique signature. The crv will not work if it doesn't have this chip even if the key is mechanically shaped the same. It is called the immobilizer security system.

Anyways, the key is hot because you ignition is sending signals to the key to identify it.... that would be my guess. My 98 crv's key never felt warm, but my 2002 feels slightly warm after a significant drive.
  • Options
    Ford is full of it. Who is discounting? Toyota doesn't have rebates, neither does Honda. Even Subaru, with a model in its 5th model year and about to be replaced, does not need rebates. Hyundai doesn't. Does any competitor carry rebates?

-juice
  • Options
    You gotta see what the Ford people say about this. It is Ford's way of competing against GM. Huh?

You also need to go to the Vue threads. One guy counters varmints post about off-roading saying that at least the Vue's plastic panels won't get damaged, after CR shows the broken panel from a traffic cone. Too funny. CR said the Vues AWD system performed terrible, but that doesn't matter to them. On paper it is a better system than others so of course it is better, even though a real world test showed it to be poor.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Hyundai offered 0% financing. Not just a dealer thing, either. It's a limited time offer from the company, and lasted for probably only a week.

Isuzu is offering 0% financing for up to 5 years. much longer than GM's other divisions.
  • Options
    Some may have seen this (thanks to another site which will remain nameless).

http://www.cars.com/carsapp/national/?szc=78717&srv=parser&act=display&tf=/features/mvp/honda/crv/crv_overview.tmpl

• Options
    OK, I guess the Tracker has incentives, but that's hardly the class leader. And the Tracker and Rodeo are frame-based trucks, not really in the same class IMO.

Isn't the Vue's systems similar to Honda's (part-time auto with RBC)? I'm asking, I'm not really sure.

CR-V vs. Vue isn't exactly troll-free, so I've steered clear lately.

-juice
  • Options
    but at least in CR's test the CR-V seemed to perform much better. Their criticism of the Vue's AWD system was pretty severe. The Vue site is fun, those GM people have some fuzzy logic. One guy kept insisting the Vue was less expensive than the CR-V. I had to point out that he was referring to a CR-V model that doesn't even exist.
  • Options
    Funny.

Saturn's price will never come down off MSRP. CR-V's will. All competitors will.

Saw the Ion at NY and almost cried. Worst redesign in recent memory. They put the dash in the center like in the unpopular Echo. Styling is haphazard and inconsistent, with weird two-tone paint. At least the coupe has 4 doors and looks slightly better.

I didn't like the Vue much. Seats were mushy, I almost fell out of the back seat they were so unsupportive. CR agrees. At least the V6 is quick.

Saab may get a version of the Vue, so maybe they'll get the interior right. As it stands, I don't see the Vue as much of a threat to the CR-V.

-juice
  • Options
    I point out Saturn's no haggle policy but again their fuzzy logic comes in to play. In CR, the CR-V was the lowest priced vehicle tested, and it did the best (of the models tested for that issue). But they can spin that their way too.
  • Options
    el_rojoel_rojo Member Posts: 5
    is avaliable from autoseattle.com.
    Product ID : hdw9h02
    Category Hood Deflectors
    Manufacturer Focus
    Focus/Benevento - Form-Fit Hood Deflector - smoke - 2002-Up Honda CRV
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    ........is similar in concept to CR-V's, however I've heard it takes a large amount of slippage (of the front wheels)before it kick's in, so in concept, similar; in practice, inferior.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Lots of trolls over in CR-V vs. Vue, you say?

Thanks for the tip, juice!

-thrillseeker4
  • Options
    Oh man, don't fall for the bait! ;-)

carguy: I generally find that folks like that will never be swayed. Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

-juice
  • Options
    But the guy would not acknowledge that he was referring to a model that doesn't exist. Still hasn't. I could really care less what people want or buy or whatever (I see too many CR-Vs anyway, I wouldn't mind a few more people buying something else, like a Forester ;-) ) but when they make up things, I like to point out the facts. They don't like it. I can't wait to hear them explain the broken body panel (I'm sure "it's easily fixed" will be a comment).
  • Options
    There never was a base Forester, but some people are convinced it existed because the model was planned originally. There were zero sold, but you can't convince some people. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I got in an "ABS is standard" argument with someone, and they kept referring to the non-exisintent base model, which was not going to get it, had it actually ever been produced!

Speaking of ABS, a Saturn without it plowed into the back of me last year. I bought a new bumper cover and a new taillight. Her hood accordianed, the quarter panel shattered into pieces, and she lost both headlights, a turn signal, a bumper, and a wheel well liner.

I don't think that plastic does a good job absorbing crash energy. Saturn has yet to do better than just "Average" in IIHS offset crash tests.

-juice
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    At some Town Hall poster's fuzzy logic. As soon as the Toyota sludge problem emerged, they all jumped on it because they've been waiting for some real proof to attack the brand. But notice that the recall of 1.9 million vehicles by GM is kept silent (they didn't even start a new thread for it in News & Views!).
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I wondered about that myself :-)

Carguy62 - life is short; it's not worth the energy expended sometimes. What Juice said.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Toyota finally came clean, at least. 8 years unlimited miles now.

Ford has leaky head gaskets on the 5.4l V8, too. 1.3 million were built but they won't say how many are affected.

When you build in that kind of volume, stuff happens.

-juice