Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    My experience with the rust-proofing is that it is a waste of money, especially that tar-like undercoating. It looks messy, and it's not even effective in reducing road noise.
  • Options
    el_rojoel_rojo Member Posts: 5
    You should check out Mark Roberts Honda in Bartlesville; they have good prices. http://www.markrobertshonda.com/new_inv-search-results.cgi?model=cr-v

Ron F

• Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    Now tell me about prices in the real world like
    Southern California.There is still no inventory
    build up here and that is the key to price
    reduction.Why bother shipping them all the way to
    Oklahoma when the west coast could absorb a bunch.
    That's a scary thought,more cars on the road with
    people talking on cell phones.
  • Options
    muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    This weekend, my girlfriend shut the tailgate too hard and the horn started to sound short beeps, then went into long loud sounds. I finally got it to shut off by pressing the remote - not sure which button actually stopped it. Has anyone had this?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It's possible she triggered the security system (if you have one) although that should not happen.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    Does Honda offer free alignment for some period of time after a new car is purchased? I don't think I'm experiencing the pull to the right situation that others have noticed, but it does seem out of alignment. I know some car makers will do alignments for a new car, up to some month/mileage limit. It may be stated in the owner's manual but I could not find it.
  • Options
    Don't have a security system. But that is what is sounded like.
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    Is there no longer a separate Warranty Booklet? Anyway, if nothing has changed in the past couple of years, then alignment and wheel balance is under warranty for only one year or 12,000 miles -- unless the balance/alignment is a necessary part of another warranty repair.
  • Options
    tmanmiatatmanmiata Member Posts: 79
    seguy - thanks for the photos. the hood deflector seems to have a higher profile than the other one. btw, the 2 tone leather looks great. if i live in a colder area, i will probably have that done too. i put black leather on my miata by myself couple years ago, but i am a little regret now. it looks great, but just not for living in Texas. don't even think about hopping on with shorts in the summer time, ouch! :)
  • Options
    Yes there is a separate book - I'll look again for the alignment part.
    Another concern - maybe it is just how the transmission works in this crv but it seems as if it has trouble going from 2nd to 3rd - the RPM's jump up quite a bit before it will shift. There is no real jerking feeling, it just feels as if it doesn't want to go there. When it reaches 3rd, the RPM drop back down. Maybe I'm being too picky about a new car and any little thing I notice. Also, sometimes when I come to a stop, the car feels like it wants to jump. I drove a rental Daewoo some time back and that piece of junk would jump 5 feet every time I would come to a stop. The crv is not doing that, but there seems to be a little surge. I am NOT an auto wizard so am wondering if I should be concerned about this. I've got about 1400 miles.

I don't know what CU and others have said about road noise - the crv is a very quiet car with very little road/wind noise. Everyone that has ridden in it has said the same thing. The only thing I have a complaint about in terms of driving comfort is that on bad roads it can become choppy. It is not terrible but certainly can be felt.
  • Options
    ticktock4321ticktock4321 Member Posts: 41
    I am very sorry you did not like my posts. I thought it was a good discussion as people convinced me that I should be honored that Honda will put the same mechanicals in a vehicle costing thousands less than what I paid. I certainly felt it was relevant to the CR-V, which is why I posted it here. Perhaps I made someone think a little more about the two vehicles and their similarities and differences. If so, in my mind that was a good thing. Again, sorry you didn't like it.

When I am looking through topics and I don't want to read a certain post I use the scroll bar to zip right past it, but that's just me.

Now I will let you and everyone else get back to the discussions going on about the lack of a V6 and the ugly 70's-ish saddle interior. I didn't realize we were limited to specific issues. Enjoy.
  • Options
    samstrsamstr Member Posts: 13
    ohh.....is that what the scroll button is for? thanks. i'll try it next time someone takes up 4 pages of posts for a different car.
  • Options
    Another thing I did was try to put a title in my post so if someone didn't want to read it, they could skip it. Also as I said before I felt this was relevant to the CR-V, didn't you not see CR-V in every post I wrote? IMO it's a lot more relevant than some things I read here.

Everyone was very cordial about this, but you. I was going to stop posting, but I think I will continue. So keep that finger ready.
  • Options
    I didn't get involved with your topic and will NOT now. Please take your concerns/problems/compaints/thougths to the other thread. I think most, if not all, people who use this would just like to see items concerning the crv itself. I know I would. You have another thread to discuss the X/Element.

Thanks for allowing this topic to continue as it was intended.
  • Options
    That 2 - 3 shift sounds like cause for concern. Sounds it's lingering in neutral before going into 3rd.
  • Options
    Why would it being going into neutral?

Has anyone else experienced this?

What would I tell the service dept. - maybe Honda service is better, but from experiences with other cars, I usually get 'could not duplicate'.
  • Options
    tuckermtuckerm Member Posts: 8
  • Options
    joejoejoe1joejoejoe1 Member Posts: 9
    I would refuse delivery of any modern car with undercoating.
    First check your warranty book. Many manufacturers will void any rust warranty if an aftermarket rusproofing or undercoating is added.
    The reason that they do this is that cars are set up to drain water through channels and weep-holes on the bottom of fenders, doors etc. Aftermarket coatings block these holes, not allowing water to drain.
    In addition, undercoating and rustproofing traps water in between the coating and the metal, encouraging rust.
    Why did you get the coating?
  • Options
    tuckermtuckerm Member Posts: 8
    Actually, I learned quite a bit from your posts, so for that I thank you. And you were quite gracious when dealing with all the "opinions" that were directed AT you--in fact you handled the "syndrome" thing with humor. Sometimes it's hard to simply ignore the rude comments that follow, but I try.
  • Options
    timz58timz58 Member Posts: 44
    I have checked with 3 dealers and 2 local parts houses and have been unable to locate a hood bug deflector for my 02 CRV. It has only 2500 miles on it and already several paint chips on the hood. Any help?
  • Options
    altoonaltoon Member Posts: 64
    I have a manual transmission and in the beginning I noticed that the engine reved higher when I changed gears, even when my foot was nowhere near the gas. I now have nearly 3,500 miles on the car and it no longer does it. I don't know if this is related at all to the reving you noticed with the automatic, but I thought I would mention it.
  • Options
    Would a nose bra protect from bugs.HandA
    Accessories has an O2 CRV bra for $63.60,dealer price is $119.I had a plastic bug defelector on
    my Explorer and it vibrated to where it rubbed the paint off.
  • Options
    I have been told that new cars need a year for the paint to 'cure' and thus should not use a car wash that uses brushes (like a service station).
    I always thought modern cars were painted very well - why it is pointless and a waste of money to buy the dealer's paint protection package for $695 or some outrageous price. Is that not true??

As for the transmission - I will take it in soon to see what the dealer says. At the very least, I will have a written record of reporting some possible problem.

There are at least two online sites to get a deflector - weathertech (not sure of the actual web site name) makes one and collegehillshonda.com sells one.
  • Options
    timz58timz58 Member Posts: 44
    tomsr: We put a half mask bra on our 99 Accord and were very dissapointed with the results. I it is not taken off and the area under it cleaned frequently, the mud and grit will damage the paint. Also, the thing flapped in the wind and would not stay seated on the sides. We went to a bug deflector after about a year with equal protection and much less paint damage. With either device you have to be careful about cleaning and watching it for missing bumpers, straps and hooks. Thanks for the tip Mucky Duck
  • Options
    Yours is an automatic right? I'm not sure if going into neutral is the right phrase, but pre-'97 Honda auto tranny used to do this all the time, especially when you slow down and then get back on the gas. There would be a pause before it catches the next gear. And it's during this pause that the rpm shoot up.
  • Options
    Mine is an auto. Not sure what you mean by pre-'97. But this sounds like what mine is doing. I'm assuming this is not what it is supposed to do.
    I have not seen anyone else report this.
  • Options
    Our '97 CR-V was the first Honda automatic that I didn't detect this annoying shift trait. I experienced it in the '90 - '93 generation Accord. So I just assumed that somewhere in the period around '95 - '97 Honda did something to their auto trannies to eliminate that, ie. new electronics or new software?

I don't have an '02 CR-V, so it would be more helpful if other '02 CR-V owners can report if they have a similar problem.
  • Options
    Yes you have to have pretty thick skin to dare post something here unless it is related to a bug deflector, the lack of a V6 or whatever else the complaint of the day is. Crazy me, I thought a discussion about mechanicals and AWD systems would be of interest, but I was wrong.

Back to the bug deflectors.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    TickTock - It was interesting. I think that 100 posts on the subject is a good indicator of that sort of thing. It's just no one else agreed with you. Or rather, some of us agreed in spirit, but not to the same degree that you were feeling it.

MuckyDuck - Like it or not, Honda has not been known for building the best automatic transmissions. They may be efficient, lightweight, and a host of other good things, but they often do not measure up in comparisons of smoothness, or even reliability. It's a chink in the typical Honda armor, if you will. Manual trannies are another story. Honda makes some of the best manuals.

As long as we're bringing up faults, brakes and tires are two other areas where Honda doesn't stay competitive. Except for their all-out performance cars, Hondas are typically mid-back with regard to braking performance (great modulation and resistance to fade, but long stopping distances). The undershod rims may contribute to those results.

You can't get everything perfect unless you're willing to pay some serious bucks.
  • Options
    htowncrvhtowncrv Member Posts: 6
    Hi all. this is to both gen1 and gen2 cr-v owners. how many of you have take off the spare tired mounted on the back and just stored it in the trunk. The reason i ask is it seems obvious that if someone bumps, or rear-ends me , their car will hit the tire (which juts out way past te bumper obviously) and then cause mucho $$$ in terms of damage to the back of my cr-v (i'm pretty sure this is a problem with other suv's with back mounted tires) thanks for everyone's opinion
  • Options
    carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    It's time for the Consumer Reports survey. I want to be accurate. So where would the CEL issue fit in terms of category? I'm pretty sure most here are familiar with the choices. Don't know if it should go in electrical or engine or where?
  • Options
    So, are you saying that this transmission 'problem' I am experiencing is normal?? Is there someway to get a show of hands, so to speak, of owners of '02 EX automatics what they are experiencing?
  • Options
    No, no, no... I can't can't say whether or not it's normal. I just know that, based on past products, Honda does not make the best auto transmissions.

I know that there were posts easlier about clunky shifts, but I can't recall if it's the same problem you are experiencing. That may have been an issue with accelerating in first gear. Not sure.
  • Options
    phillyguy2phillyguy2 Member Posts: 27
    The Honda dealers in my area are so independant that they won't let their demos(if they have one) out for long test drives. I would like to know how stable the CR-V feels. Does the wind knock it aroud? Does it have adequate passing power? With the windows closed,is it relatively quiet? I don't care about towing or off roading. Maybe some summer trips to the seashore,or a 45 minute trip on the turnpike to visit relatives.
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    Very stable. Not much. Yes. Very quiet. My .02.
  • Options
    I don't get a sensation of speed till I see other
    cars disappearing in my rear view mirror.I guess
    because the engine is quieter than the 2.3 Vtec
    in my last car.Very similar performance is felt
    but the coupe felt very stable at 80 mph.I think
    70 mph is a safe limit for the tall short CRV.
    I experimented with tire pressure and at 26 psi it is smooth and stable up to 70 mph.At 30psi it
    feels nervous.My son has a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee and he runs 35 PSI with oversize tires and a liftkit and it is scary at 70 mph but he loves it.My age has something to do with it (55).
  • Options
    mikecrvmikecrv Member Posts: 4
    Hi all!
    I've been lurking on occasion for quite some time but did not get around to registering until now. I've been a member of the CR-V information exchange at www.hondasuv.com since near it's beginning in '97 and am glad to see other members here. A special hello to Varmint and Slugline (I forget your other name at CRVIX)!
    htowncrv - In my case the spare tire actually saved my CR-V from being damaged when I was rear-ended. The Accord was quite damaged (shattered grill, buckled hood) but my bumper had hardly a scratch (just a little crease). This is because the tire took the hit. There was no damage to the tire but the cover was ripped - the Accord owner replaced it. There was no damage or bending to the tire mount either. Maybe an even harder impact would do this but I can't imagine what kind of damage would be done without the spare. Maybe other owners have different experiences?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Welcome to Town Hall!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    davisdogdavisdog Member Posts: 99
    I'll 2nd Fast Eddie's comments...I'm used to my noisy grand cheerokee where the 12 oclock position on the speedometer is 70ish...on the CRV it's 80mph and if I don't pay enough attention I find myself travelling at that speed (and not really noticing it)
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    So far, I have only noticed one other CR-V driving around here without a wheel hanging on the back, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the owner is carrying it in the back on a regular basis. As for expensive damage: that's what makes insurance a necessary evil in this world.

(BTW htowncrv, can I assume that you are in Houston? "Space City" denizens of Town Hall are invited to join other CR-V owners for a visit to the Auto Show on 4/13 -- see CR-V Owners: Events for more.)

Carguy62: I vote for "engine." IMHO, the responsible software (it's supposed to be a software problem, right?) is an inseparable part of today's engines. What comes to mind when I think of "electrical" issues is the stuff leading away from the fuse box -- lights, radio, power locks, etc.

Hi mikecrv -- you know me as "CR-Vince" at you-know-where. I was "slugline" here before I knew what my next car would be. <GRIN>
  • Options
    jdub4jdub4 Member Posts: 1
    Amidst the wonderfully natured banter - Not sure if you got an answer to your question but you can find a bug deflector for your 2002 at autoseattle.com & jjproducts.net. It seems that most like the benevento.
  • Options
    Hi guys. I am sure this is mentioned before , but I have not seen it for a while. Since there are many new 2002 CR-V owners, what is the best way to break in this engine? How long should we keep the first special oil in the car? The manual is not specific here. Is it wise to change the oil every 5000 (severe) or 10000 (normal) miles there after? How about the tranny? I believe Honda wants to get the longest life out of their engines, so following their advice is probably best, but what have you guys done? It is just these intervals are not what were used to. TIA
  • Options
    hcmmikehcmmike Member Posts: 19
    it has been awhile since I've been able to visit this site...I have a 2002 EX I bought in December...the mileage has not been as great as I thought it would be..I remember seeing several posts here about tire pressure which (I think) said that the factory-recommended tire pressure was not as conducive to higher mileage as something else (lower?)...anybody have any insight/recollection on this?
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    as per your owners manual "yes it is there" they advice not to break
    or accelerate hard for the first 600 miles. regarding the oil i am not sure if they "factory" ship the vehicle with any special oil. I heard people talk about changing the oil after the first 1000 miles then at the regular timing period. As for me I would follow the manufacture instructions.
    greetings from sunny Miami
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    i don't have any experience with the rear mounted wheel causing more damage, but theoretically it would act as a bumper in rear end collision, given the rear ending vehicle is as tall as the tire height.
    i just remember that in the 80's subaru had the spare on top of the engine. i heard that was done because when the car crashed into the wall the engine would protrude into the cabin, but by bolting on the tire to the top of the engine it would send the engine down instead of straight back.
  • Options
    I believe an increase in tire pressure should improve MPG. But it is a trade-off with handling. I think I am at 28 psi, haven't checked lately (bad me). My last tank gave me 23.1 in mostly in town driving. Not too bad. You have to remember depending on model these are ~3300 lb. vehicles with not the best aerodynamics. Mileage in stop and go traffic will never be great.
  • Options
    What did you do? Recommend? jfiguero1, thanks I knew about the 600 miles, but I was wondering about the special oil and how long should i keep it.
  • Options
    That's what I did with an '01 Accord. That's what I plan to do with my '02 CR-V. Isn't that what the manual says? Oh, I bet you're wondering how many miles. Whatever the manual says is probably best. But I probably won't wait until 5K miles. 3750 or thereabouts, but that is me.
  • Options
    For the first 1,000 miles, try to avoid long highway trips where you will be running at the same RPM for longer periods of time. It's okay to drive on the highway, just don't set the cruise control for an hour long drive. Try to vary your speed by taking side roads from time to time. Also try to avoid sudden and harsh acceleration. Keep the RPMs below 4.000. After you have 1000 miles on it, feel free to rev it up!

Change the oil at the recommended interval. Most folks have to follow the foul weather schedule. Do not change it earlier than that. If you absolutely must do something earlier than the recommended service, change the filter and keep the oil.
  • Options
    I don't think I've been above that. I guess I haven't lived yet.

So I think I will wait until ~5000 miles.