Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    rocky5656rocky5656 Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for the reply.
    I suppose I should dig further to find out the revolutions per mile of each tire size, then compute that with the final gear ratio to find rpm at say 110 km/h. (my usual highway cruising speed). If I dropped 100 rpm at cruising speed I'm sure to gain mpg and less engine wear, without compromising low end torque to any degree.
    I've worked in large fleets where a 1% fuel saving is "big" money over time.
    Any reason why they (or any car manufacturer) goes with a certain size of tire? Which comes first (engineered powertrain, gear ratios, tire size, intended application, looks, etc.)? Something I've never really given much thought to.
  • Options
    muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    I know Honda recommends 26 psi. Was wondering what other owners use and why?
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I run mine at 26 psi for same reasons listed in post 6503. Because Honda does test for handling, fuel efficiency, body roll, and braking. 26 psi was the best compromise that they came up with. Anything more or less may give benefits in one specific area, but will cause troubles in others.
  • Options
    torberktorberk Member Posts: 1
    I am sure most of these questions have already been covered, but when I used the search engine for the Board, no answers came up. Anyway, new answers or references to prior posts are appreciated.
    1) The rear windshield wiper seems to stop 2 inches two high on the drivers side - is this the way it is or can it be adjusted
    2) Are the fog lights beneficial, where's the best place to buy them (in either Canada or the U.S.) and are they hard to install
    3) Given the immobilizer, what are the benefits, if any, of an alarm
    4)When I have the heating pointed to the floor, hot air seems to continue to come out of the driver's side vent. This isn't really a problem, as the vent closes, but I was wondering if that is standard.
    Thanks
  • Options
    ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    Think about how many people misspell Camry. I read a newspaper review in which the author spelled it Camary in every instance.
  • Options
    wc04wc04 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a keykess entry system from Handa Accessories and have been having a little trouble getting the dash pocket out to install it. Has anyone else tried this. I have e-mailed Handa 3 times and have not received a response. I am quite dissapointed by their poor customer service.
  • Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I dont't have an alarm because my CRV is always garaged at night when the dirty deeds are done.The advantage to an alarm is if it has a shock sensor or door open sensor it will scare off a thief maybe.I don't think they could steal your car but could do a lot of damage trying.When I go out at night I worry about someone tampering with my car so maybe I should look into it.How often do see an alarm going off at a mall and it is ignored?All the time!
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    but if a thieve sets off your alarm, he sure as heck won't stick around and continue his dirty deeds thinking the alarm will be ignored. I couldn't go without an alarm now. Too bad Honda changed the security system for the '02. No more siren kit. I kinda enjoyed those little chirp sounds when you arm/disarm. It also beats trying to look for the parking lights to flash when the ambient light is bright.
  • Options
    snookloversnooklover Member Posts: 6
    Sometimes I leave the car running when filling the tank when I have my family in the car with the AC running and it's hot outside. I live in SW Florida.It doesn't waste as much gas or stress your engine as much as stopping the engine and restarting it(at least that's what I have have heard) I am well aware that they don't want you to do this, but it isn't dangerous. I always pay at the pump. However, I won't be doing it with my CRV anymore.
  • Options
    surfactantsurfactant Member Posts: 36
    MR. rci , you wrote that you got the subwoofer for the crv. How do youu like it?? Does antyone else have feedback about the oem subwoofer. I have an lx on order (they told me 3-4 months) hope it is sooner. I know there is probably better sounding equitment out there but I am interested in rolling it into my loan and also having the warr. on the stuff. they want $180 for the 2 tweeters installed. its about $70 on the handa accessories web site. I'm not interested in doing the instalation myself. i looked at the pdf install instructions and it looks tricky to me. Gotta take the radio out and such. probably will get keyless entry at the same time because you gotta use the radio for that. any help or feedback appreciated. Mark
  • Options
    Sales are still going strong. So much for that pesky, "you must have a V-6", argument.

Torbek - The rear wiper does fall short. Your vehicle isn't broken, though it is one of those design quirks that would bug me. You may be able to take the wiper off, adjust it, and screw it back on in a slightly different position. The distance the wiper travels would be the same, but it would clear more on the driver's side and less on the passenger's. I own the older model, so I can't try it myself.

• Options
    carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    No such word in my dictionary. That's when automakers get in to trouble, when they make up their own words (although I bet there is something behind Camry).

The problem with Honda/Acura is they're not being consistent. The CR-V and S2000 differ from other Hondas by the fact they aren't words, so to speak. At least Acura is consistent with their alpha-numeric designations. And then there is the "dash", or is it a hyphen? Acura doesn't use it on the MDX or RSX, although I've seen plenty of people put it in. That adds to the CR-V confusion.

Someone once said the "hyphen" was used to make the molding of the logo easier. Makes sense.

I guess I don't care what they call it or how they spell it, but if one more person says it needs a V6....aaarghhhhhhhh.
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    Congrats. I am a new owner as well. Those are good q's. I hope you get some input. I was hoping for some input on a bug/hood deflector, see #6487. Good Luck
  • Options
    Has anyone bought and installed this on the '02 crv? If so, any problems or concerns with it?
  • Options
    litzviclitzvic Member Posts: 11
    fasteddie9:
    I recently installed a "Perfect Fit" bug deflector purchased from collegehillshonda.com. It is a perfect fit and contoured for the 2002 CRV, in a smoke color. I am sure other people carry this item; however, it was sent to me in a Honda parts box. Check it out. It is very easy to install and looks great and relatively inexpensive for custom bug deflectors. Let me know what you think. Stone gard is ok as well; however, I found it very difficult to install by myself on a Audi TT. To me, it was not worth the price.

John
  • Options
    moretjmoretj Member Posts: 13
    Thanks to ateixeira for the response to my bike carrier enquiry. As a follow up does this mean that the maximum weight of my 4 bikes can't exceed 200lbs or else this will comprimise the towing capacity of the vehicle and put extra strain on the engine.

Thanks. J.M.
  • Options
    Litzvic, thanks for the reply. I saw it, it looks nice. good price too. can you wash/wipe the hood with it on? do you think they really work? thanks
  • Options
    litzviclitzvic Member Posts: 11
    fasteddie:
    There are two side clips on the hood which can be easily popped off allowing you to wash/wax under the deflector without removing the whole deflector which is held in place with 5 (existing) screws inside/under front hood. If you just want to wash, I just use a terry cloth on the end of a dowel rod to completely clean under the deflector without removing the side clips. No problem. Hope this helps.

John
  • Options
    Carguy62 - I thought that Honda was going to be consistent with the naming of their utility vehicles (the CR-V, the HR-V, etc.). I figured that the Model X was going to get a similar designation, but then they introduced the Pilot. Makes no sense.

The S2000 is actually consistent. Honda's earlier sports cars were named with a "S" for sport and then the displacement of the engine. They produced an S500 and S600 back in the early days of the company.
  • Options
    I knew about the S500 etc. The S2000 may be consistent with those, but it's different from their current line up.

Whole courses have been taught about naming products. I know what is involved in my company when it comes to a name for a new product and we're not selling an automobile. I certainly don't profess to know nearly as much as they do.
  • Options
    vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    Anyone know of trailer hitch for 2002 V that would be "drill less". Or any other hitch reccomendations.
  • Options
    kevinctkevinct Member Posts: 3
    Does Honda offer a subwoofer system as an accessory to the CV-R?
  • Options
    ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Hi to all just got my 2002 cr-v ex in sliver auto. The dealer said 6 weeks but it only took 11 days.Pretty happy with it drives like a suv not to soft and lux.Have a ? the cr-v came with 44miles is that alot of miles,He states they had to drive it over just wondering if the driver drove over 55mph.I would guess yes.Any nice bug def.I could install.
  • Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I have had my CRV for one month and today I found myself admiring the VW Passat parked next to me.
    I guess I'm fickle.For only $5000 more I could have had a beautiful not car not just a practical car.
  • Options
    44 miles is pretty reasonable. Doubt that any damage could have been done unless it was 44 miles on the Rubicon Trail.
  • Options
    tomsr: Don't us guys often find ourselves in that situation......with women?

It's like: What would we rather have? A practical woman, or a beautiful one? :)
  • Options
    tmeframetmeframe Member Posts: 80
    Hi Surfactant - I got the subwoofer installed and I dislike it intensely. The tech who installed it obviously had differing musical tastes from my own, and the gain was set to max, and the crossover was set excruciatingly high.

With that aside, if you listen to anything but classical music, you'll probably do fine, but if your goal is a clean low-end bass response, forget it. Even with the crossover at its lowest point, and the gain reduced to minimum, the box is STILL boomy, with nothing useful below 80Hz or so. In the interim, I'm looking at a quik-fix of the Infinity BassLink, but I'll have to find a way to test its installation first for a day or two before I commit.

-Steve
  • Options
    seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    wc04-
    You just need to open the storage compartment door, then pull on it really hard. I was afraid to break it myself, but it didn't. Just pull on the right side mostly until you release a few clips, then work the middle, and left side. Once it's off, you just connect the module to the left hand side metal bracket which the little box clips onto, then hook up the wires. Took me about 10 minutes. (Most of the time trying to take the storage box off. Hope that helps.

muckyduck-
    Just received my weathertech bug deflector and it looks like the others I've seen for the '02. I don't know if all made by one manufacturer and just distributed through different sellers, but it sure looks like it. Will post picture once I put it on this weekend.
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    I had my crv for 1 1/2 week and the under coat pant in the wheel wells still tacky as hell does anyone have an idea of for how long is that thing is going to stay soft like that down here in Miami we had plenty of hot days for the coating to dry but still very soft to the touch. I am wandering if that is a two part mix and they forgot to add the hardener. about the rest of the car not a problem. any other owner with the same case please info me.
    greetings from sunny Miami
  • Options
    Been driving my 02 CR-V EX auto silver for about a week and love it. The only "experience" I have had was when I drove home from the dealer with 40 psi in the tires. It felt like I was driving Fred Flintstone's car. But alas, I lowered the psi to 26. Much better. I initially was worried about the noise complaints. None here. Coming off a 13 year old prelude, the CR-V is as quiet as a tomb. Very pleased. I ordered some accessories from handa, and am thinking about getting the deflector and wheel locks next from collegehillshonda. This is my first CR-V, it has exceded my expectations. Looks great, equipped well, fast, quiet and lots of room. Thats all for now.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats fasteddie9! Read all about it:

Honda's new CR-V is a little bigger, a whole lot better

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Congrats as well. I've had my white EX for 5 weeks. I overreacted to some intitial problems but I've calmed down. I went from an almost 13 year old Accord so I hear what you are saying about quiet.

So what accessories did you order? So far I've only gotten the front mud guards and wheel locks. I think I want to add a bug delfector as well, I'll have to check out collegehills and also weathertech.
  • Options
    Apparently the Chrylser Pacifica that has a preview on Edmunds will have a glass roof. Guess the Honda crv at the Geneva auto show that had the same is not such a radical idea - may see that in production.
  • Options
    On my first trip with my '02 I went through an area where they were pot hole patching. When I got home I figured I'd look and see how much asphalt was on my vehicle. I checked the wheel wells and felt this gooey stuff and thought wow that's a lot of asphalt. I pulled a little off and I realized it was the coating. Mine still seems a little soft after 5 weeks but then again I went through more construction (gotta love Illinois roads) and now the whole underside is covered in concrete/mud, so everything is white (sort of matches the exterior ;-) ).
  • Options
    bajie2bajie2 Member Posts: 18
    To those who install keyless entry or alarm system,
    Will the DIY break warranty?
  • Options
    Congrats to you. Its just a great feeling getting a new car. The accessories I bought were the splash guards, cargo tray, winter mats, moonroof visor and touch up paint. I am thinking about the wheel locks and the bug deflector. But, will the deflector be effective on a car that much higher off the ground? With my prelude, I got hit alot with stones, they usually bounced off due to the angle, but I still got hit. With the CR-V being taller, I might just get hit more. Did you go for the Hondacare warranty? I don't think I will, at least not yet. Steve, that was a great article on the CR-V.
  • Options
    I think I will go for the cargo tray as well. I was able to improvise and use some old mats I had from both my '89 Accord and an '01 Accord that was briefly in the family. They don't match perfectly but for now they are ok. I also have the cargo net from the Accord, I think it may fit. I also bought TUP (used it once already).

How was the moonroof visor to install? Any differences you can tell with it? I'm going to need some convinicng on that one as I think you have to do some drilling.

I'm not sure about the bug deflector and it's effectiveness on rocks. If it prevents bugs from splattering I guess that is good enough. When I went on my first 600 mile trip I got bug debris even though it was only March, don't want to think about the middle of Summmer.

You know that Prelude you had was one of the reasons I got into Honda. I was driving a GM vehicle and a woman at work had a nice Prelude, probably an '88. Coupled with my previous boss who had a CRX and loved it, I decided to check Honda out and I haven't looked back.
  • Options
    My experience with the moonroof visor is off my prelude. It used no screws, just a 2 metal clips that hooked under the downturned roof edge and two tightening bolts. I hope the new one is the same type. I should know real soon.
  • Options
    altoonaltoon Member Posts: 64
    Carguy - I installed the moonroof and found it to be pretty easy. No drilling required. It took no longer to install than the roof rack.

Canadiancl - There is a big difference in cars and women. Giving up a practical woman for a beautiful one will cost you more than $5,000 :)
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There is a big difference in cars and women.

I don't think we should go there!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    I haven't checked the '02 CR-V for this, but the sticky substance in the wheel wells is probably just the sound dampener. If I'm correct, you're talking about a tar-like coating under there. It provides sound insulation in two ways. First, the thick goo soaks up sound better. Second, when rocks, pebbles, or sand are kicked around by your tires, they make less noise hitting the softer surface.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    tom: beautiful women can be high maintenance, too. Perhaps the Passat would be the same way? ;-)

JM: I wouldn't exceed the tongue weight of 200 lbs. Honda sets this limit with weight distribution in mind. If you overload it enough, it could adversely affect your steering, since it would unload the front tires.

But most bikes are 25-40 lbs, so I think 4 bikes and the rack ought to fit just under that limit.

-juice
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    That was a great article(review)....I like the part about the kid-durable fabric....they must have been talking about the tan interior...if your kid barfs, it would be hard to notice!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Gee, thanks for the props guys. Makes me wish I had actually writen the article instead of just linking to it :-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Have you guys seen the Honda Element? It's the production Model X. The seats fold up and to the sides, and clear a huge space for gear. The suicide style doors actually made production, too. There is an opening in the roof towards the rear for tall cargo, like the surf board they used to demonstrate it.

It uses CR-V underpinnings, basically, including the same engine.

But the design is what is really ground-breaking. It's not the most beautiful thing, but it is extremely innovative.

-juice
  • Options
    The literature says they are targeting young males but when I look at it I think "chick" car. My opinion (but people also say that about the CR-V). Looks too small, what's the overall length?
  • Options
    tomjavatomjava Member Posts: 136
    It's an ingenious design. Very versatile. Honda should win a noble prize for its innovative design.
  • Options
    I like the design. The name is decent, too. It's a better effort than the HR-V, that's for sure. I was expecting the 160 hp 2.0L from the RSX, so the 2.4L is a nice surprize. With costs coming in below $20K, I wouldn't expect much refinement. But I doubt the target audience cares.
  • Options
    I read $16-21k, which is well below CR-V prices ($19-23k MSRP). It's a lot less conventional, though, so I don't think it'll outsell the CR-V, but I'm sure it will appeal to younger buyers.

Heck, for that kind of cash, I'd check one out.

-juice
  • Options
    Read that at one of the sites. ~1/3 to 1/4 the CR-V volume (in the US). Almost as many as the Vue ;-). So varmint does this one qualify as niche?