Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• timz58timz58 Member Posts: 44
    Where is the fill point for the rear wiper on a 2002 EX? Looked in the owner's manual but either not there or I missed it. To SSTO1 - The dealer should be able to provide the VIN as soon as the car is shipped. We ordered our Vee in December and took delivery Feb 7th. It takes about 3 weeks from shipping the West coast. We got the VIN from the dealer as soon as the car was shipped and had financing all arranged the day after. If the dealer dances around providing the VIN, find another dealer.
  • richk4richk4 Member Posts: 19
    There is only one wiper (washer) fill, under the hood which feeds both front and rear wipers. The rear washer feed runs through the roof and feeds the back wiper above the rear glass.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Thanks, but I already checked it out. I don't like the frameless door window glass and I feel the legroom is a bit skimpy up front. Interestingly enough, I do like the Focus ZTW with advance trac, ABS, and side air bags with the rebates and the 0%, but am leery of buying one based on reliability issues. They can be had for the mid $17s I believe, which is not a bad price for the content.
  • muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    Who makes an accurate tire gauge? Mine and a friends disagree by about 5 psi. Mine is pretty old and his his pretty new but I didn't think a tire gauge would 'wear' out.
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    check the aftermarket and accessories board. I think it depends on the type of gauge as to how it wears out.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Tire gauges

Dchopp put some great info together in there.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    kevinct: The Honda rack is OK (I have one myself), but it's relatively expensive once you add on the ski and bike attachments. If you are primarily going to be using this as a sports rack, you ought to investigate alternatives from Thule and Yakima (there may be others). Check with your local sporting goods or bike store. A possible downside is having to hoist bikes up on top of the roof.

muckyduck: On my 2000 CR-V, I got a piece that sounds very similar to what you describe; it is the extension for the tire jack. Check your owner's manual for tire-changing instructions and see if that doesn't clear things up.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    Exactly one month and 1585 miles into its life my CEL came on. Went on an almost 600 mile trip over the weekend, no problems. Yesterday on my way home the CEL comes on. Don't think it is related to the gas cap (I'm sure that's been said before). I bought the vehicle at the dealer who gave me the best price and of course they are not convenient for servicing. So I call my local dealer and once he realizes I'm not talking about my Accord they used to see he asks me where I bought my CR-V. I ask him if it matters and he says no, but I know darn well it does.

So doing a little reasearch I find several reports of this issue all around the 1000 to 2000 mile mark. Most of those reporting this problem say it was the oxygen sensor that was replaced. So I call the dealer this morning and he asks how did I find about this. I tell him on the internet and he wants to know where. Anyway he says oh yeah he has replaced a few. So I ask if he has the part, nope because he has used quite a few. Can he order it now so I don't have to wait? Nope, has to do the diagnosis first. Then he says he doesn't even think replacing the sensor is the fix since at least one person had the problem again. Then he says maybe there is a bad batch of sensors. Don't you love it?

As a point of reference I drove my Accord for ~13 years and the CEL never came on once. Now I realize todays engines are more sophisticated and from what I've read the slightest thing can set the CEL off but I have to admit I am a little perturbed. No one buys a new vehicle and thinks they'll have to have it serviced (and the inconvenience that goes along with it). I hope this isn't the karma gods getting me back since I have been such a vocal supporter of Honda.
  • tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    I had the same problem with my 2002 EX within a month but the dealer was great and fixed it asap. What you need is a new Oxygen Sensor. Don't let them give you the runaround. Tell them to order one and fix it.
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    mpgman: You are wise to worry about the reliability of the Focus. Take a look at page 26 of the new Consumer Reports issue on cars. Reliability on the Focus is spectacularly bad. Too bad, because I agree the Focus is a really interesting car that has a lot to offer.
    Thanks for the info. I made a slight revision to my post as I found more reports of this problem. The dealer will not order the part until he does the diagnosis. So that will be (at least) two trips for service. I think a letter to Honda will be in order.
    I was re-reading the road test edmunds did on the cr-v. Under the stereo evaluation, they state there are no tweeters.
    They say they tested the EX manual - I thought the EX model did have tweeters installed in the dash. Sure sounds like it it does to me.
    I have noticed a slight buzzing sound from one of the door speakers, just like the review said. Doesn't happen all the time, though. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • kentwongkentwong Member Posts: 36
    "They say they tested the EX manual - I thought the EX model did have tweeters installed in the dash. Sure sounds like it it does to me."
    From what I heard, the tweeters upgrade kit for the LX goes inside the front doors. I thought the most common location for the tweeters is in the dash.
    There is a grill area on each side of the dash by the front window that should hold the tweeters. I suppose the LX does not have them installed while the EX does. At least that is what I've been lead to believe.
  • theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    According to the Honda web site the CR-V LX comes with AM/FM Stereo Cassette w/CD Player and 4 Speakers and the EX comes with AM/FM Stereo Cassette w/6-disc In-dash CD Changer and 6 Speakers.

You can find this information by choosing Specifications and Features from the pop-up menu, then scroll down to the Interior Features section.

Hparts.com has the Tweeter installation instructions online as a PDF file here:

http://www.hparts.com/pdf/23092.pdf

Image 13 on Page 4 clearly shows that the tweeters are located in the dash near the base of the A pillars.
    thanks.

Has anyone had a buzzing sound (or maybe it is when playing deep bass the woofer is not able to produce it correctly - I can't think of the phrase for that but it can be pretty common in speakers, espically cheaper ones) from the in door speakers? Maybe I've been playing my CD's too loud and have damaged the speaker!!
    It does not occur all the time however.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Don't jump to the conclusion your oxygen sensor is causing the problem. A lot of different things can cause this.

Once the dealer pulls the codes he will know in a hurry.

Should be a quick fix in any event.
    I have been accused of having OCD so this is why I tend to focus on these things.

Someone reported their second CEL after having the O2 sensor replaced. This got me thinking so I called the Service Manager where I bought my CR-V. He seemed very straightforward and went in to his "library" of Honda bulletins and memos and this is what he told me (paraphrasing):

When they pull the code they are getting 1164 error/fuel ratio. He says the normal fix would be to replace the O2 sensor (or even some others). However returned parts to Honda have shown no defects and they have concluded it is a software problem. On March 13th or 14th all Honda dealers should have received a memo stating that if code 1164 comes up, no repairs should be made, only reset the CEL. A software fix will be available in April or May.

So this afternoon I am taking mine in to a different dealer so I will keep my mouth shut up until he tells me what code was pulled. Hopefully he will have the same response.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Carguy62 - Thanks for the updates. This is good information.

Tweeters - I suspect that folks may be seeing the OEM tweeter kit for the 97-01 models (which are installed on the door). TheRacoon's information is correct for the '02 model.

WRT the Edmunds review, there are two possibilities. They apparently didn't hear the tweeters (which is not a good sign), or the reviewer missed them in the spec sheet and felt that he/she needed to comment. "Oh look... This thing doesn't have tweeters. The sound must be terrible." or something like that.

Personally, I suspect a little of both.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Ijust got the Crv last Friday Lx I think I got a good price$18000,
    very happy with it and my wife like it a lot, but I would like to know what is the watts per channel on the basic factory stereo
    in regular driving I have to dial the volume to almost half and the sound is not the best actually it is pretty cheap . I asked in a very good store that's specialized in high tech electronic and they told me that even if I change the speakers for better one's the head unit would not be able to supply the watts need it. at this time i do not want to rig the crv. any body know how can i impruve the sound?
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    What do you mean by "rig the crv"?

Do you mean that you don't want to change the head unit? If so, I'm a little surprised that the electronics shop didn't suggest just adding an amplifier. Then you'll probably be ready for upgraded speakers.
  • johngalt66johngalt66 Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone. I have been a lurker for a loooong time and really appreciate all of the great posts! I bought a 2002 CR-V EX (silver, automatic) from Mike Patton Honda in LaGrange, Georgia and personally had a great experience with them. I realize that experience from customer to customer can vary but I think they are worth contacting if you are in the Atlanta area. I received all correspondence by email and they delivered the price (and vehicle) that they quoted without hassle. My deal was for $550 (including doc fee) over invoice, but I was told that they would not do that deal again because of the high demand. Who knows, though, maybe they will.

More importantly, we really love the vehicle and think it fits our needs well. We have a 3 month old son and didn't want to start with a van or large SUV yet. We usually keep cars a long time (we donated our 89 Corolla with 200,000 miles to charity) but figure if we need more room we should be able to trade the CR-V in a few years without taking too much of a hit.

Thanks again for all of the great posts -- I'll try to occassionally be a contributor, too! By the way, my real name is Jeff -- as you may have guessed "JohnGalt66" is just a name I use on the internet for fun.
  • sfbayareasfbayarea Member Posts: 7
    Jit1,

Which dealer in the Bay Area did you deal with?

Thx!
    I purchased an Accutire gauge from Sears today. Waited a couple of hours and checked the pressure against my old gauge. Exactly the same! Will wait till tires are cold to see, but it appears I really didn't need this new one. It only cost $15 so I'll keep it in case something happens to one or the other.
    Now, the real issue - should the tires be at 26 psi like Honda recommends? These are the Bridgestone OEM tires. Driving on the highway over the weekend, I did not hear excessive road noise and the tires were NOT at 26 since I was unsure about my gauge - I didn't want to make them less than 26. The cr-v seems to rock some on bad roads - could that be due to the higher pressure?
  • ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Wanted to know if anyone has the ext. warr. on their 2002crv ex got quotes for 7yrs 75k miles for 1100.If anyone can help in the tri-state area NY,Queens with better quotes or is it just a waste of time,It is my first new car and a honda at that.
    Mucky - Yes, set it at or at least close to 26 psi. The recommendation comes from the engineers who designed the vehicle and tested for criteria like stability, steering dynamics, and traction. Considerations like a one mpg advantage or minutely smoother ride are completely secondary.
  • htowncrvhtowncrv Member Posts: 6
    Hey all, just wanted to share my opinions of the new CR-V which i just test drove (2WD, black, LX). First of all, man, oh man, is it a heck of a lot roomier than the first generation, esp. in the back - had four people in the car, all said "roomy". Took the CR-V on a drive on streets and on highway, and although there was significantly less road noise than the 1st gen (i didn't have to shout to make conversation) there was definitely still a "medium" or average amount of road noise as compared to a sedan, definitely noticeable, but for me not uncomfortable for long drives. The ride i felt was nice, but slightly less refined than the present generation Accords (the road noise was also a little more than the accord) The engine, I felt was definitely adequate in power (you could definitely notice it was a 4 cyl.) and I did notice a slight hesitation in accel i think from 2nd to 3rd gear? (not sure, it was an auto). I earnestly tried to listen for the infamous solenoid lockout or whatever clicking noise, but could not hear it on the particular car (although i'm probably totally jinxing myself for the car i ordered, which will be delivered with all the infamous problems - clicking noise, stall outs, drifting to right, CEL coming on - i guess i'm a pessimist at heart). Interior construction was very tight, very nice (could have been a little higher in expense, but not shabby at all). And also, it seems like many dislike the brownish interior, which seeing in person is not bad in itself, but perhaps in the long run would look worn and dreary as opposed to the black interior. I ended up signing an EX for 22195 in Houston, which i believe is the average ~500 off MSRP for right now (i know it was ~1000 off MSRP at the beginning of the year - darn) So overall impression in one word is CAPABLE, not overly exciting but a safe decision in all areas.
    P.S. if you were going for an exciting car - OH MAN, there was a CR-V in the showroom that had the nice wheels, body side cladding, footstep, and wood trim - all of which turned the CR-V into a HHHHOOOOTTTT looking vehicle that WILL turn heads.. Anybody have pictures of a black leather interior?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    jeff/johngalt,

I counted EIGHT references to MIke Patton in your post and it sounds less like an endorsement than a promo or solicitation. It's a good thing you didn't include a phone number and link to a website!

Let's be more careful about our endorsements because it's a very short step into promotion and solicitation which violate Edmund's Terms of Use. There are other forums for discussing dealers and we'd prefer to stick closer to Honda CR-Vs here.

Thanks.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    My first choice was an SUV was a Highlander
    limited but at over $30k Could not justify it.So
    I got the CRV EX and I added the woodgrain kit
    myself which I got through the internet for $142
    plus shipping of $5.It was amazingly simple to install and dresses up the interior nicely.Now that gas is skyrocketing up I am glad I don't
    have to feed a V6.As for power it is too easy to
    do 80 mph.On hills it's broad torque band is really appreciated.I considered the Santa Fe too but this little 4 banger is a lot peppier than the V6 in it.So far the only negatve thing is due to it's short wheelbase it has a choppy ride
    on some freeways that are not perfectly flat.To get a smooth ride then you need a bigger
    vehicle.My daily drive does not involve this kind of road thank goodness.It may be my imagination
    but when changing lanes the high turn signals
    tend to catch the other drivers attention quicker
    than my old car did.
  • zopszops Member Posts: 49
    I got my 7yr/100 il warranty for $1090.
    I may not need it but for $15/month I get some peace of mind. You never know even with Honda Quality.
  • zopszops Member Posts: 49
    Many here are complaining about wind noise, rough ride, tweeters, armrests, tires, etc..
    GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!
    You all paid 22K and are expecting this to be a luxury SUZ like a Lexus or BMW-- GET REAL!!!
    Stop complaining and enjoy the 22K SUV, like I am.
    This was my budget for a small SUV and am very happy with my purchase but I was NOT expecting
    a totally smooth, noiseless ride with high quality audio tweeters and superb armrests, etcc.
    If you want the better accessories you need to pay for it. Don't just sit there and complain after paying just 22K for a SUV.
    Rememembrr, you get what you pay for!!
    It's hard to tell if the turn signals attract more attention, but I've seen differences. Mostly I see it when changing lanes in dense traffic. When driving my wife's TL, people often refuse to make room for me to move over a lane. But they can't ignore the directionals on the CR-V. The high-mounted lights seem to add an emphassis to the request that the lower design lacks.
    Sport Utility Zipper (as in zips in and out of traffic).

Sport Utility Zebra (if the white had come with the black interior)

Sport Utility Zen (the enlightened Sport Ute)

Sport Utility Zephyr (ride with a gentle breeze)
  • rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    The best price I've found for an extended warranty is via a honda dealer in Kentucky contact Tracy McCrystal @ 1-800-264-3275, eg., 7yr/100K/0 ded was $795, 6yr/100K/0 was $695.,etc. There are shorter warranties too. I'm waiting for a vin# to get my ext warranty.
    rockycow
  • perinaraperinara Member Posts: 9
    When will Honda add an SE version with leather seats, body colored bumbers, hard spare tire cover etc.

Any info will be appreciated.
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    I believed Honda only added the SE at the end of the model's cycle. Like the Accord is going to change this year and there is a SE version of it.
    The CR-V hasn't exactly followed Honda's typical path. The CR-V SE came out in '00 I believe, well before the end of the model run. Come to think of it, I think the Accord had an SE last year, again before its final year.

If I had to guess what will be done with the CR-V I would think no changes for '03 (minor mechanical tweaks I'm sure but nothing significant). Either in '04 or '05 they will make cosmetic changes to the lights, grill, front fascia, etc. I call this a "freshening". A new color or two may also be added. When they will release an SE is hard to say. They just might introduce one fairly quickly to get those extra $ that people are willing to pay for painted bumpers, leather and a hard spare cover (not sure what else they can do---EX already has the 6 disc CD changer---but I'm sure they'll come up with something).
    If you use the first generation US CR-V as a model, the SE version won't appear until the 2005 model year. The CR-V was released to the US in '97, got a bigger engine in '99, then added the SE version in '00.

Perhaps they'll include the subwoofer as an audio system upgrade?

I've got more than a few years of life left in my '99 EX, so I can be patient. ;)
    I knew what you meant, but the '99 engine wasn't bigger.
    You're right, displacement was the same as in '98, but the horsepower was increased for '99.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The Civic aced the IIHS offset crash test, and that bodes well for the CR-V. It got perfect scores, actually, and a Best Pick rating.

The only small car to match it is the new Impreza, so things are looking good for the new Forester (which was already Good), too.

By the way, both beat Volvo's S40. :-)

http://www.iihs.org

-juice
    Yep, I'm not expecting an SE version any time soon.

Juice - The Civic was tested a while ago. I believe that the IIHS ranked it in their top five safest cars list along with the Passat and a few others. It's also been tested by the NHTSA.

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Wow, those side air bags really seem to make a difference.

Sorry if that's old news, I hadn't heard it mentioned here, and I do think it's relevant since the CR-V is based on it.

-juice
    Does anyone know how to get the speaker enclosures on the doors off the '02 cr-v? Quite a few have said the sound is not good, but I would disagree - I think it is fine, better than some of my other cars. But I have listened to some speakers at audio stores and was curious how hard it would be to change them out on my own. Is the wiring all there to just connect another speaker? I thought I might listen to the new speakers in the car, then decide if I wanted to keep them.
    I believe the OEM speakers are 6.5" - is that correct? And does anyone know the watts/channel?
    Juice - No problem. I agree that it is relevant in a round about sort of way.

The side airbags do make a difference, but I also see a trend with height. It seems that vehicles with seating higher off the ground tend to do better in the side impact tests. Compare the previous generation CR-V with the previous Civic as an example. Four door vehicles also seem to score higher (placement of the B-pillar, I'm sure).
  • coplandcopland Member Posts: 2
    I've also gotten the CEL (this will be the third time - 2002 crv now 6500 miles) - am taking it to the dealer again tomorrow. In a way its good to hear that this is probably not a serious issue...hopefully just a software glitch that Honda will issue a recall soon...
    that Honda is going to need to do some goodwill to the owners who have had this problem. Who wants to be first? I'll take fog lamps installed as my compensation ;-).
    Recalls are only issued for fixes to correct safety problems. I have a feeling that the NHTSA will not consider a rogue dashboard light to be safety related.

A TSB (technical service bulletin) would be issued for something like this. Honda service techs would be made aware of the problem and how to correct it. However, customers wouldn't be contacted. Only the people who have the problem will get the fix.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    It's probably not a serious problem. But FWIW, I got Honda to buyback a Prelude because they couldn't get the damn CEL to stay off!
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    Here's the interior with the leather wheel cover, metal trim kit, and 2-tone aftermarket leather. Also got a driver's heated seat. So far with 1500 miles my wife loves her new car. Hope everybody is enjoying theirs too. Should finally be getting the bug deflector next week as it was shipped today from weathertech(macneil.com). Will post pics once installed since they don't show pics on the website for the bug deflector.