Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Juice - Hey now! I think that ABS debate was with me! =) I know that I was fooled by it. Bob and Juice corrected me only a few months ago. Edmunds still lists that base madel on older Foresters.

Carguy62 - I think that CR-V vs VUE thread speaks for itself. We don't need to bring it in here, no matter how correct you were. =)

Interesting review from Cars.com. Too much clicking in the format (took forever to read), but I liked the results-rather-than-design approach. Who cares how the suspension is made, does it work is the important question. The article covers quite a bit.
  • Options
    fern88fern88 Member Posts: 42
    Does anyone know if the fog lights are fairly easy to install on the 2002 EX? I'm just wondering if I should get them to install it or just do it myself.
  • Options
    crvnomadcrvnomad Member Posts: 8
    I thought it may help to post my findings on the the roll back issue. The other day, I was driving uphill and stopped at traffic light, when I took my foot off the brake pedal, the V rolled back, the incline is about 15 to 20 degrees at most. I went to my dealer today. The mechanic( referred to as transmission expert by another guy) test-drived with me, he pulled into the driveway of a fast food place, which has a slight incline(8-10 degrees), took his foot off the brake, the car rolled back. He was not surprised at all. He told me that this has to do with the torque converter, it only locks up at 1800RPM engine speed. So basically, if you stop the car, for the torque converter it is in neutral position(just like in manual), although the pressure inside the converter may hold the vehicle on a incline for a while, when the pressure drops , it will roll back. I also talked to an old car guy at my work, he confirmed this, saying that car will roll back if you don't do two of the followings: hold the brake pedal or push the gas pedal a little bit. I guess hold the brake is safer, since I don't want to accidentally push the gas pedal too hard. Another thought, the CRV is based off Civic chassis, civic is a lighter car(700Lb lighter), I suspect that the amount of fuel supply to engine at idle is controlled by computer , this amount is the same for CRV as in Civic, which may be enough to keep the Civic hold on a incline but not the CRV.
    Another thing, some on this board have complained about the pass-through hole(dictated by high mounted steering rack)in the front wheel well, indeed it looks terrible for corrosion-proof, especially under the situation when you are making a turn in snow or rain. But the new Civic also has it. I doubt that Honda would risk recalling that many vehicles without extensive validating this.
  • Options
    For those who may not understand Crvnomad's tech-speak (nice explanation BTW), the torque converter is a fluid connection. So there's some play in the connection. That is what allows the drivetrain to slip backwards. Edmunds has a decent tech article on the subject.
  • Options
    chuckk1chuckk1 Member Posts: 13
    It was one heck of a job to read and catch up with this particular town hall session. six thousand postings, and seems to lead the pack. Says something for the Honda CRV, HUH?

Well, anyhew...................

My purchase of Satin Silver '01 SE CRV, was completed on March 12, '01, mostly over the phone, using the tried and true Edmunds method. Gawrsh, I love Edmunds! This being my third Honda purchase from the same dealer, price was not an issue. Neither is service.

Then I stumbled across the wonderful folks who involved me in the MidAtlatic 2001 June affair, near Baltimore. Had a great time, thanks, Alan, and a few others, there, too!

I have the accessoritis fever, always have my entire life. Just talk to my wife, and any of my exes. I invented the carguy concept, heh heh.......

Have installed:

1.. wheel locks
    2.. cargo mat
    3.. sunglasses holder
    4.. cargo net w/o drilling holes yet. am working up to that.
    5.. the famous bing sticker, to support that other site, where I bought my accessories.

Now, about tires.......I kept them at 26psi, the Bridgestone Duelers, until they were rotated, and they pumped them up to 32. I immediately noticed and thought my alignment was off, or they curbed the darned thing. After reducing to 27 psi, I'm totally happy.

MPG: with daily hard commutes, 22mpg. If I'm kind and conservative, I've hit close to 24. This is an automatic transmission BTW.

No loose seats, or strange solenoid noise. but do have the hard transmission shifts. Tires are ok, they work hard, I'll consider quieter, passenger type treads, as in NOrthern Virginia, the AWD and 4WD concept for daily commuter for me, not needed. I have the AWD by the way, standard for SE.

My issue is seating comfort and legroom for driver. I have a real serious issue in getting comfy. The CRV works for me.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    chuckk1,

Welcome aboard! I hope it doesn't take another 6,000 posts to hear from you again!

Tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    richk4richk4 Member Posts: 19
    You are right about the openings in the wheel well "looking terrible for corrosion proof", and it IS terrible for being corrosion proof. I don't know what Honda has in mind by "validating" this design. But if you think it is okay to have the back half of your engine bay covered with corrosive road salt than your idea of car care is different than mine.
  • Options
    Chuck - I remember you. That Silver SE of yours was parked at the end of the line in Brown's lot. Nice looking rig. If I recall correctly, you left before the convoy. Here's a picture from later that day:

The sun came out after this was taken. My wife and I had a great time. Hope you did, too.

• Options
    chuckk1chuckk1 Member Posts: 13
    Great Pix, and thanks, Varmint. BTW, I did join the convoy, and if you look at that pix again, look at the front row, and do you see a silver CRV, the second one from the left? That would be me. That was a great lunch, at Arundel Mills shopping,and still have the door prizes from the affair at the Honda Dealer. I think the MidAtlantic CRV meet website, has a link to a photo of my CRV. And it was me, at the end of the row at Brown's Honda.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I know we're talking about an automatic tranny here, but it's interesting to note that for 2003, Subaru has brought back the hill-holder clutch to the USA market for the 5-speed Forester. This hill-holder clutch engages the brake and prevents any roll back when starting on a hill.

Manual-equipped Subarus have had this feature for years overseas, and they used to offer it here too. I'm glad to see them offering it here again. It's a great aid for newbie stick-shift drivers.

Bob
  • Options
    el_rojoel_rojo Member Posts: 5
    paddywagon Apr 4, 2002 5:39pm
    I got a good deal on a 2001 EX from Rosenthal Honda at the end of December.
  • Options
    rver2rver2 Member Posts: 16
    We are getting our CR-V(2002)ready to tow behind our motorhome. The brake system (Toad-Stop)for the CR-V is almost complete. We still need to find a placement on the dash for the brake switch. There appears to be a good spot to the right of the cruise and moonroof controls. It looks like a third spot is available there to knock out and place the switch. Does anyone have any idea as to the original plan for this spot?
  • Options
    Rver2 - Probably for fog lights.
  • Options
    carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    crvnomad--good post. I agree 100% about the suspension pass-through (that's what I call it). I really doubt Honda would subject themselves to literally millions of problems. Some have a problem with it and have made their own cover. Whatever works.

jfigueroa1--the things I do for my CR-V ;-). Felt my key after about a 45 minute drive. Didn't seem exceptionally warm. There's electronics in there so it was about what I expected.

rver2-as Varmint said that blank is for the fog lights.

Love seeing those CR-Vs in the parking lot. Probably a few double takes from the shoppers.

Finally we have some sunshine here today (it snow flurried everyday this week, yuck), already was out earlier to do my errands. I find myself enjoying them a little more in the CR-V. Back out to do some more driving and enjoy the sun (sunroof ya know ;-) ).
  • Options
    thornthorn Member Posts: 91
    Looks like the CR-V is the best-selling small SUV:

http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0204/06/autos-458536.htm

The Escape is in full KMART mode, as befits its Ford/rebate heritage.

btw, is there a better link for auto sales statistics?

• Options
    Thorn - This site gives sales stats for each month (current month only).

Ford is lowering prices to compete with GM and Chevy in the truck market in general. Not because of specific pressure in the small SUV arena. Though I'm sure the CR-V's continued strong sales has them scratching their heads.

• Options
    texvamtexvam Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Varmint for the TSB info on the driver's seat. For those of you who have had the fix, how long did it take? Did the fix work?
    Secondly, has anyone heard about a fix for the vibration felt in the brake pedal when the windshield wipers are on?
    Finally, for those who have had the 'pull to the right' issue, did y'all get the tires rotated and balanced to fix the problem or should I ditch the Bridgestones for some Yokohomas?
    Thanks. Really enjoy this forum.
  • Options
    Texvam - The pedal vibration isn't really a "bug" per se. It's just a characteristic of the design. The wiper components are located close to the pedal. When they move, it shakes the housing a bit, which in turn, vibrates the pedal next to it. Similar to the clicking of the reverse lockout solenoid. In this case, the vibration is a by product of the wipers doing their job.

Some folks have fixed the PTTR issue by balancing their tires. Other have fixed it simply by rotating them. The CR-V IX has a copy of the proper alignment specs, but that site is down for an upgrade. Try there in a few days.
  • Options
    thornthorn Member Posts: 91
    For the stats info.

Did you read the article I cited?
  • Options
    honda_girlhonda_girl Member Posts: 3
    I can't believe I have so many posts to catch up on--the CR-V is leading the pack on Edmunds. Anyhow, now that the other board at hondasuv.com is going to a pay site, I thought I'd get acclimated to this new cyberhome. Here's a little background info. on my 'V:

1998 CR-V EX: San Marino Red with accessory Honda mats, roof rack, front mud flaps, and wheel locks. 45,000 miles on the original BFGs (I rotate them every other oil change).

I love my 'V! I paid it off early and am glad to say that I'm just as in to it as I was when it was a newbie. No plans to trade him in this year. All the problems that I had were in the first 2 weeks of ownership. I had the SRS (airbag) control unit and the iginition switch and parking switch replaced under warranty. That was a big hassle as the part for the parking switch was on national backorder and I couldn't get the key out of the ignition, so I couldn't leave it anywhere. Honda gave me a free roofrack for all of the aggrevation (it pays to call the Customer Service Rep at the number in the back of your manual and document EVERYTHING!) We've been cruising along ever since. I'm looking forward to contributing to this forum :)
  • Options
    rver2rver2 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks to Varmint and Carguy62 for the info on the fog light switch. Looks like an excellent spot for the brake switch.
  • Options
    ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Hi to all I had the CR-V now for a week and a half know but today on the highway a lady hit me from behide,No dents or major damage just a suff mark on the right bumberside is there any way to get that out.thanks still love my CR-V 2002 EX.
  • Options
    not2hi01not2hi01 Member Posts: 9
    Dang! can someone provide a link to the CR-V Mid Atlantic website? The links/email info on the "other" website don't work...
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Both Ford (Escape) and now Jeep (Liberty) are offering incentives, while the CR-V is selling at record levels without any incentives:

http://www.auto.com/industry/iwirc6_20020406.htm

• Options
    That's too bad about the "other" forum. But this one can be as informative and fun especially with the people moving over.

Lots of good reasons to be a happy CR-V owner these days. I love reading about the others scrambling to react to the new CR-V's runaway success.
  • Options
    The original site is still up and there will be free access to the new site (though members will recieve additional functions). Allan T. had his own webpage describing the two Mid Atlantic Meets, but I don't have the URL anymore. Below is a link to the write-up for the first meet in October 2000. I attended the 2nd one in Spring of 2001.

http://www.ptcruiserusa.com/hondasuv/crvix/clubs/baltimore_dc_oct00/baltimore_oct00.htm

• Options
    tmeframetmeframe Member Posts: 80
    Hi Varmint - I saw where someone thanked you for information on a TSB for the seat problem. I thought I kept up pretty well, but I can't find that reference. Has there been a TSB issued for the seat problem in the CR-V?

-Steve
  • Options
    not2hi01not2hi01 Member Posts: 9
    oops...I thought the pic above was from a more recent event. The email link on the other site to Alan T's doesn't work any longer. If you get more info on the new site, please pass it along.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Message# 6709 has the TSB listed. FWIW my tech contact never confirmed this TSB or the supposed VIN cut-off.
  • Options
    steve1994steve1994 Member Posts: 1
    I have about 2,000 miles on my CRV and love it, but lately I hear clicking noises from the right rear and the gear shift shift when the brake pedal is pressed. They sound like switches being activated when I press the brake pedal and release it. The dealer claims that some of this is normal. I wonder if anyone else has the same noises.
  • Options
    garrett_crvgarrett_crv Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I know some of you from the hondasuv.com. I just wanted to drop a note to say hi. I'll be on both sites for a while. I just can't get enough. LOL Happy V'ing.

Garrett

'00 Silver EX 5-Spd
  • Options
    twistylocstwistylocs Member Posts: 20
    Hi all, I'm new to the board. My husband and I have decided to purchase a CR-V later this year. We weren't really SUV people, but after renting lots of other cars this year for road trips, we've decided that a small SUV would be more comfortable, and more reliable if we wanted to take on some not-too arduous off-road rides in British Columbia (where we live).

I'm curious to know what's the longest road trip anyone here has ever taken in their CR-V? I'm originally from Atlanta, and we've talked about taking a two-week vacation and drive between Vancouver and Atlanta (and back again). That'd be close to 6000 miles round-trip, over fairly decent roads (until you get to Arkansas). Has anyone here attempted a similar trip?

Thanks! :)
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Hi all,
    Thought I'd drop in and say "Hi". My parents just signed the deal to get a 2002 auto LX CR-V in the zircon blue metallic colour. I took it for a test drive and was really impressed! There is a lot of space in the interior, and the vision out the windows is great.

I am not eager to read the last 6000 posts, so if the questions I have a redundant please forgive me. I'm going to try to be their internet "eyes and ears" so I'm going to be dropping by this forum frequently :)

Does anybody else have a 2002? If so, what are your impressions? Are there any problems/things they (my parents) should watch for?
    Thanks in advance all
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Tell them congrats, blue is its best color IMO.

Varmint: I realize you took Edmunds' word on the models available, but it was "Hondabro2000" that refused to accept the fact that they were wrong, not you.

Fortunately trolls don't tend to stick around.

-juice
  • Options
    casper02casper02 Member Posts: 2
    I'm heading down there with my new V next week. Their roads can't be any worse than where I live.
  • Options
    Twistylocs - I recently made a pilgrimage from Boston, MA to St. Augustine, FL. It was roughly 1,100 miles in each direction. My CR-V is a well loved '99 model, though.

Protege - I wish they offered that color here in the states. I saw a pic of a UK CR-V in the same color (they have a different name for it) and it looks pretty sharp.

Things to watch out for would include rough transmission shifts, a pull to the right, and a bogus check engine light. If the CEL comes on, take it back to the dealer. It their computer tells them that it's the O2 sensor then changes are it is a problem with the software. A fix will be available once Honda is finished testing it and the gov't approves of it.

There have been other problems (seatbelt recall and rocking seat), but both have already been addressed.

Juice - I didn't really think you were complaining about me... this time. =)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I really like the blue too...the colour swatch really doesn't do it justice. My mom was going to get the silver, but after she saw one of the blue Vs up close she did a complete flip-flop. I did see about the PTTR problem in the M&R board. Is this problem particular to the 2002s? I thought Honda was supposed to make great transmissions?! Is there a reason the CRV shifts so roughly? Is that a problem soley for the '02s?
    Thanks again.
  • Options
    PTTR has been reported on and off since the first CR-V was introduced to the NA market back in 1997. Most folks have corrected it by having their alignment adjusted.

Actually, Honda does not make the best auto transmissions. They aren't bad, but they're nothing great. Honda stick shifts rule. The problem with rough shifting seems to be rather vaguely defined. Some owners report issues with shifts between 2-3, while others complain about upshifts from 1-2. It's very inconsistent, but I've read enough posts that I feel it's worth mentioning.

There have also been reports of a "clunking" from the transmission when you accelerate for the first time (out of park). I've been told that this is actually the ABS doing a self test. It's just a system check. I haven't been able to confirm this, but I've read it a few times.
  • Options
    One thing that I didn't understand was that somebody said that people had their tires rotated to fix the problem. Wouldn't that mean that the problem would be with the tires and therefore be a tire issue, not a problem with the vehicle? Anyway, I'll be sure to watch for it and make them aware of it.

In regards to transmissions, I didn't like the new civic's manual tranny...nothing wrong with it, but perhaps I was just used to mine. It would be interesting to see what the CRV was like with a manual tranny...too bad my parents can't drive stick. :(
  • Options
    twistylocstwistylocs Member Posts: 20
    casper02: From one end of the state to the other (across I-40), the roads in Arkansas are like riding across a washboard. I don't think we experienced any smooth road at all -- unless we pulled off the highway. While it was kind of cool to see places where tornadoes had scoured the pavement, they made for horrible driving - especially in a filled to capacity small Ryder truck.
  • Options
    muckyduckmuckyduck Member Posts: 219
    No one could ever guess this in a million years - no one would ever put these two words together for any reason, much much much less to name a park ...

TOAD SUCK

http://www.swl.usace.army.mil/parks/toadsuck/toadsuck.html

is this where the next cr-v meet will be held????
    http://www.angelfire.com/ar2/cavf/00showmeeting.htm
  • Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    The control for the wipers is confusing and no more than it rains here I may never get use to it.
    Short people have to struggle to get in it.Like me.It gets blown around by semi-trucks doing 80 mph.So what, every mini SUV made has these problems.It also is not macho.But the good thing
    it is a HONDA and you see very few of them around presently which is nice to not be driving a
    cookie cutter mobile.I would like someone to tell
    me how to get two fully assembled bikes in back
    like HONDA advertises.
  • Options
    Tomsr - Look at the brochure. There's a picture for you.
  • Options
    rburnardrburnard Member Posts: 28
    texvam - I had my seat fixed last week. It took 2 hours since mine was the first one they did but according to the bulletin it should take about 45 minutes. The problem has to do with the seat height adjuster and that's why it only affects the drivers seat.
    In Canada the bulletin is IX-5-02.
    In USA the bulletin is 02-017.
    The bulletin I saw had a VIN cut off so not all vehicles are affected.
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    For those who do not know it, the a/c in the CR-V always comes on when the defrost is on. This we know will clear the moisture, but you can't turn off the A/C. A guy by the name Haverson over at the CR-V forums at Hondasuv.com posted a way to turn the A/C on or off-your choice. I will repeat it here.
    To deactivate the automatic a/c feature on the 2002 CR-V
    1) Turn vehicle off.
    2) Turn fan knob off.
    3) Turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area).
    4) Turn vent knob to panel only setting (next to a/c max).
    5) Hold down both the air recirculation button and a/c button while starting the car.
    6) Continue holding for 7 seconds until the air recirculation button stops flashing.
    Now the a/c button can be turned on or off.

To reactivate automatic a/c feature on 2002 CR-V
    1) Turn vehicle off.
    2) Turn fan knob off.
    3) Turn temperature knob all the way to the left (blue area).
    4) Turn vent knob all the way to the right (defrost position)
    5) Hold down both the air recirculation button and a/c button while starting the car.
    6) Continue holding for 7 seconds until the air recirculation button stops flashing.

Thanks Haverson.
  • Options
    cricketkisscricketkiss Member Posts: 3
    I live in Arizona and have a 2002 Red CRV. Does anyone know where I can get a hard shell spare tire cover for under $350.00?
  • Options
    odds009odds009 Member Posts: 25
    Hard Spare tire cover for $86.80
    Color matched hard spare tire cover for $353.89.
  • Options
    bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    We just completed a trip from Ottawa to Myrtle Beach and back for March break (myself, my wife, and our and 4 and 2 yr old daughters). We have a 02 EX 5 speed. I originally was not sure how it would do on the trip given that the 5 speed revs kind of high, but it performed quite well. We were able to pack all of our stuff with no problem and the drive went well.

We just got the seat rocking fixed (after waiting 2 months for parts). The work order said something about the whole seat based being replaced. Whatever, it seems OK now.
  • Options
    HI to all,I just got hit in the back right side on the bumber is there a way to take the marks out without damageing the bumber.It wasn't a bad hit no dent's thank GOD.
  • Options
    One more question is there a web site that has bumber guards for the 2002 modle.