Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Focus ZX3

Comments

• Options
    dvc1492sdvc1492s Member Posts: 13
    Was just wondering if any one else had been experiencing similar problems with ZX3 '02. The battery light has been coming on at start up. A clicking noise is emanating from just the above the fuses (think this area is for the relays). The weird thing is the tac and the speedometer freak out and go full throttle (engine speed remain constant) just the electric goes bonkers. Even the fuel gauge goes to empty and then returns. This could happen (3) or (4) times during the 20 minute commute on the highway.

It had only been happening in the mornings, after the car sat for the evening but this evening on the way home it also happened.

Only have 17k miles, so warranty should cover it but was wondering if some else could give some input.

Thanks,
    Jack
  • Options
    xquxqu Member Posts: 55
    The driver's side power door lock in my 2000 ZX3 stopped working about two weeks ago, then all the door locks (including the hatch) stopped functioning yesterday!!! I found out I have a blown fuse and replaced it, now the passenger and hatch door locks work again, but the driver's side door lock is still no response at all, either I use my remote or the door lock switch. I'm afraid the fuse will blow again since I still don't know what caused it blown the first time. Has anyone had the same problem? I'd appreciate any input on this topic. Thanks.
  • Options
    ghengisdongghengisdong Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,
    I havent posted here since early in 2000 when i got my 5-speed ZX3. It has now just passed 90k miles. I have to say that the car has really come into its own in its old age. Early on I had a whole slew of problems with the car, recalls, bad bearings, bad ignition cylcinder, clutch replacement. But after about 23k its been humming. Had another ingnition cylnder go at 66k, but other than that it just keeps goin (knock on wood). I hated the car in the begining because of the problems, but now I am at the point where I could consider a new one (PZEV!!). I did replace the fuel pump myself at 70k, as to hopefully keep from breaking down. Was a tough job. I used to run an AEM short ram air intake but I took it off. You just cant beat the driving dynamics of this car. I will be gradding college soon, and have taken the car many places and given it a fair sharwe of abuse, but I think I may get rid of it soon. I am thinking of getting maybe another Focus or maybe a Hyundai Elantra or a Suzuki Aerio or one of a plethora of other cars...definetly not sure...but who knows I may just see if I can get this car to 150k with reasonable reliability...overall this car has been good to me...
  • Options
    snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    You will not go wrong with the new PZEV Focus. Mine now has over 4000 miles on it, and it runs really well, and has had no problems. I have the premium Automatic with ABS, and I think this car is one of the best that I have had. Yello/Black, looks really good, and the Blaupunkt Stereo is a doo-dad. Good stuff.
  • Options
    lebowskilebowski Member Posts: 4
    Travelling on interstate, 75 mph, in far left lane with heavy traffic in all three lanes. Engine misses then rolls back to 1000rpm. Narrowly escape collisions as I merge out of traffic. After I get to the shoulder, engine dies, restarts but won't get above 1500rpm, cannot drive vehicle. Fifteen minutes of cooling later, operates normally and get it to nearby dealer. Fuel pump went, dealer says there is a 10 yr warranty on them because of known problems. My question is why is it not a recall? This thing nearly got me killed. There are similar write-ups on the National highway safety website. Have been very happy prior to this problem with the vehicle. Note, if your vehicle misses or burps on you, get ready for complete loss of power.
  • Options
    vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    Ford Focus Service Campaigns

Service Campaigns are voluntary programs in which the manufacturer agrees to replace or repair a defect beyond the terms of the express warranty and may provide for reimbursement for prior repairs.
    Unlike a safety recall, the program may be limited in time beyond which the consumer receives no assistance.
    Sometimes the NHTSA accepts a Service Campaign in lieu of a safety recalls which means manufacturers and/or dealers are not subject to the enforcement provisions of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
    When NHTSA accepts a Service Campaign in lieu of the more consumer protective Safety Recall, NHTSA lists the Campaign on its website.
  • Options
    monstersdad1monstersdad1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I wanted to update on my 2000 zx3. I have 55500 miles on it and no problems until now. I am having a sound out of the rear of the car, its like the only way to explain is like something flapping under there, as corny as it sounds, my brother in law said maybe its the rear bushings. I don't know what to think it happens even on flat roads intermittently, its driving me crazy. But to recap no problems I even have brake pads left, all in all a solid little car. Any comments are appreciated I don't know what to make of this sound, as its doesn't seem to be related to the suspension or engine.
  • Options
    rapidrickrapidrick Member Posts: 70
    "having a sound out of the rear of the car, its like the only way to explain is like something flapping under there"

Tires cupping? Have you rotated them?
  • Options
    monstersdad1monstersdad1 Member Posts: 2
    I took the car to carx, family friend owns it, they tightened the rear hatch also put better clamps on inner wheel wells up front they said its was real loose and the aligned the tires the sound is gone so Im happy. They did say Ill have to replace the rotors and pads in about 7000 miles but thats to be expected.
  • Options
    ghengisdongghengisdong Member Posts: 2
    snakerbill....its going to be very hard for me to really consider another Ford though. Especially when I can get more room and quality form a foreign car for the same price.

Also, recently I had 2 problems. The thermostat housing cracked, causing a large leak of anit freeze, costing me $230 to fix (didnt have time to do it myself), and the valve cover gasjet started leaking. $30 part, I did it myself, but I still catch an wiff of oil every so often. Ford...they whipped me into shape and made me realize what I already knew...always buy import!
  • Options
    I am telling you that the 04 Focus PZEV is a completely different car than previous Foci. My last two cars were imports, a 2003 RSX Auto, and a 2004 Honda Civic coupe EX auto, and the Focus is far and away a better car than either of these. The Civic had so many problems that I got rid of it soon after purchase because noone at the dealership wanted to fix the vibration problems and the oil leaks. The dealer blamed the tires, and the tire co blamed the suspension. Nothing got done. The RSX had so many rattles that it became a joke trying to get them fixed. It also had tire problems. The Focus with 7100 miles on it has been flawless, and drives and runs like a car costing a lot more. The 2.3 engine and new suspension transformed the Focus into a car worth buying. I could not be happier with my purchase. It does not rattle, leak, or vibrate, and gets good fuel economy for the performance offered. I advise you to try driving the PZEV car before you buy anything.
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    ...the Focus is underrated. I owned a 2003 Civic LX Coupe, 5 speed, for 11,000 miles and it was way underpowered, cramped feeling interior, mediocre handling. A great feeling stick shift, but honestly my PZEV Focus has a tranny that is _almost_ as slick, and the car beats the Civic in every other way. My PZEV has also been free of defects, although I only have 5500 miles on it so far.
  • Options
    celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    I am new to the Focus board. I used to drive import since I got my liscense at 17. I need to buy a car for my wife, and the ZX3 seems pretty good deal right now ($2,000 rebate). How do you rate for the 04 ZX3? Because I am new to the Foucs, I do not know what is PZEV. PZEV = 04 ZX3???

I am in the middle of decision choosing an automatic 2004 Civic LX and ZX3. Can you post some suggestions? Thanks.

Luke
  • Options
    spopov2003spopov2003 Member Posts: 1
    PZEV = Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle.

Basiacally this is a 2.3L engine good for 144 horses and comes standard on the ZX3 Premium. This engine is required & standard in Green states of CA, MA, NY, VT & ME. I believe it can be optioned on other models as well. Otherwise you get the usual 2.0L ZETEC motor (130hp/135ft-lbs).

The civic doesn't have as high a green rating, but makes up for it with a huge turning radius (almost 35ft) and bad interior lighting (neon red/pink).
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    I'm an 02 Civic Si owner, and while I like my Si, I would probably pick a PZEV Focus over an LS. I was very impressed with the test drive.
  • Options
    Thank you for the opinion. The 04 ZX3 is on the top of my wish list now. I read complaints about the 2003 ZX3 from NHTSA (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsea- rch.cfm)

Is the 2002 & 2003 ZX3 really that bad? Like snakerbill said, I hope the 04 ZX3 is different and more improving.
  • Options
    For sure you should really consider the 04 ZX3 PZEV. It is a better car than any of the imports even close to its price. It is so different from the 03 and earlier Foci that you can not believe how much better it is with the 2.3 engine and new suspension. The premium car with all power, is worth getting as it helps transform the Focus into a really super little car. Mine has been perfect from day one, and now has 7800 miles with no complaints, and it gets faster and smoother every mile. The gas mileage has improved to over 30 on the hi=way and around 27 in town. Good enough. Be sure to get the MP3=Cd Blaupunkt radio, as that is a doo=dad. Try it, you wont go wrong.
  • Options
    I owned a 2000 (terrible), 2001 (ok, but not fine) and presently own a 2003 (PZEV, so far perfect).

Once a car gets a bad rap, people get very vocal about everything - it becomes sort of like a hypochondriac (read some of the NHTSA complaints - anyone can write anything, you don't have to substantiate).

Consumer Reports _recommends_ the Focus this year, because of the _past_ couple of years quality has improved significantly. CR doesn't recommend cars lightly. They always liked the Focus, but the 2000 was a well known deadbeat due to rushing the car into US production without normal "graduated" assembly line ramp up.

In Europe, quality ratings, by consumers, of the Focus are higher than Benz and VW.

Trust your instincts and negotiate for a good price. Ford's poor, poor introduction means deals still abound.

DON'T get the 2.0 liter engine. The difference with the 2.3 liter is VAST. I've had the 2.0 liter with a stick and auto, and while it is good, it is not even within a country mile of the "next gen," designed by Mazda, 2.3. This motor is so smooth and quiet you won't even realize how fast you are accelerating. I believe it tests at 0-60 in 7.5-8.2 seconds, versus an anemic 10+ seconds for the 2.0 ZETEC (which I couldn't understand, given the similarly powered Neon is a sub 9 second car).

If you can't afford the "Premium" model to get the PZEV 2.3 now, wait until later in the year when 2.3 liter production is ramped up and it becomes the "stock" ZX engine.

The 2.3 won't smoke an SVT, but it will force the SVT to really wring out their motor to beat it. While you are in a much quieter vehicle.
  • Options
    I agree with most of what you said, but I think that the 2.3 will run with a SVT, and the only place the SVT will smoke the 2.3 is on the top end because the PZEV has an electronic speed limiter at 106MPH. That really tees me off. I think that the PZEV without speed limiter would be good for at least l30MPH, judgeing by the way it flys to 106 and runs against the limiter. Why Ford limited this car is a mystery to me. It has H speed rated (130) Perilli P6 tires that have really good grip, and this thing corners like a go cart. It is so much better than the Honda Civic I traded in that words cannot express the difference.
  • Options
    Good to hear your experience. I gonna test drive this car.
  • Options
    ...and 106 is pathetic!

I had a 2002 Neon I was driving cross country, had earplugs in 'cause its a little noisy, and on a lonely stretch shocked myself to look down and see 110 on the speedo when I thought I was running 85-90. Got off the pedal fast...

And the Neon only had t-rated tires.

106 is embarrassing. The mini is governor limited at 115 or so.
  • Options
    buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    I agree that the 2.3L mill is superb. However, anyone who's interested in that engine would be wise to check out the main Focus board. You will find that the 2.3L engine will be phased out of lower-end Foci for 2005, including the hback. (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.) The 2.3L will still be available in a special performance version of the sedan, at considerable extra expense. In short, the tremendous 2.3L hback performance bargain will be lost. Name me another car with euro handling that can do 0-60 in 7.5 seconds for under $13k??? Good things never last.
  • Options
    Info on 2005 engines....

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=17010&ma- ke_id=trust

(link provided by user-pzev on other Focus board. Thanks pzev!)
  • Options
    What an incredible link (see message 2568).

The four door ST model sounds really great. But the suspension and other design improvements to the "ordinary" ZX3/5 also sound interesting. Given that the basic mechanicals will be well-proven by then, this may be a good alternative to the new Golf V also coming out in 2005. I can see the wisdom of not adopting the new Mazda3/VolvoS40 platform - it would reintroduce quality control issues. Now that Ford has a handle on the American quality control issues, I think it is wise to stand pat.

I am not sure I like the new cabin layout. I sort of like the "futuristic" present layout in the ZX3. Functionally it is heads above the Civic/VW layouts. It gives me a lot of side to side leg room. However I will keep an open mind on the new design.

Reverting to the 2.0 liter engine in the ZX3/ZX5 WILL NOT SIT WELL with the budget sport compact crowd. Come on, Ford, what are you thinking about (you read these threads, don't you)?

The old regime of 2.0 110 hp, 2.0 130 hp in the premium sedans, stock in the ZX3...STOCK IN THE ZX3... are what makes the ZX3 so popular with me and others. You pay LESS than for a sedan but get MORE power.

Now I think it is fine to upgrade the stodgy base sedans to at least 2.0 130 hp (I guess 136 now). But why limit the 2.3 145 (150 now) hp engine to the ST? It belongs back in the ZX3 and ZX5...and don't play games and put the 2.0 in the base models, the 2.3 in the upgraded models. People buying performance don't always want the frills. In fact, the 2003 policy of offering the 2.3 with stick only in the base model (in California) is exactly why I bought one ... I am not a sport compact tuner, but I want the most DRIVING experience for the dollar (something Mazda doesn't understand - the performance to value ratio; they got the performance, but not the value).

While Ford is at it, they need to put the 160 hp Mazda version of the 2.3 in the ST - they can reserve the 150 hp, regular (not variable) valve timing version for the ZX3/5.

Anyway, overall the news sounds good, some major "tuner" oriented changes.

But tell me - surely the tachometers will be on ALL ZX3/5 models, not just the "frills" models?

Finally, maybe I am reading too much into it, but look at this excerpt from the press release (the part I highlight):

"A 150-horsepower 2.3-liter Duratec 23 DOHC I-4 engine will power the new Focus ST performance sedan, which will be available in all 50 states. This free-revving engine _is derived from the same family as the Duratec 20_ but its larger displacement and performance-tuned exhaust help it produce 10 percent more horsepower. Torque is 153 foot-pounds, a 16 percent increase for exceptionally strong off-the-line and mid range acceleration."

Sounds like the 2.0 is NOT the old Zetec 2.0, but some new derivative of the PZEV 2.3 (now called the Duratec 23). If that is the case, maybe the 136 hp are "real" hp instead of the 130 "underwhelming" hp of the original ZX3. People who are test driving Mazda3's now, say the 2.0 in the M3 is actually quite strong.

Looks like my 2003 will be getting traded in on a 2005...I'll tough it out without the aircon until then!
  • Options
    great post, micweb. But do yourself a favor; stick with your 2.3 hback. Ford will never offer it again. The 2005 has some improvements over the 2003, but nothing to get excited about. Nor am I convinced that the "new" 2.0 is based on the 2.3. I think it's just a warmed-over Zetec.
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    "Nor am I convinced that the "new" 2.0 is based on the 2.3. I think it's just a warmed-over Zetec."

Not really. Mazda is using this as the base engine in the new Mazda3. Most people who have driven one are impressed with it's refinement. It's definitely a step up from the old Mazda 2.0 and Ford's 2.0 Zetec (FYI - Not the same engine).
  • Options
    I'm not convinced the 2005 2.0 is "new", nor does it have much Mazda influence. Ford is too intertwined with Mazda now. I think people see it as "more refined" b/c they WANT to believe it. But Ford is notorious for reusing and recycling engines. Ford's old 3.8L and Vulcan 3.0 were basically just variants of its ancient (but legendary) 5.0...........to be fair, I think the Zetec is underrated and unfairly maligned. But the 2.3L is truly new and vastly superior. Ford should just use the 2.3L in all Foci. The price would remain the same, the accel/smoothness would improve, and small cars would have a new benchmark for value. Besides, Ford has had good luck with 2.3L mills. The old 2.3L in the Tempo was great and it also served the Ranger well.
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Well, good to see vadp is still around the ZX3 board :) I was one of the early buyers (had a 2000 model produced in 12/99) who served as a "beta tester" for Ford, and I swore I'd never be back after unloading my ZX3. That was a very bittersweet ownership experience, because I loved the design and driving experience, but hated the almost total lack of quality in materials and assembly. The new Mazda3 hatchback is tempting, but I agree with an earlier poster about Mazda - too many doo-dads I don't want or need, and their pricing is a bit rich. I too like the current Focus interior, so I may have to take another look at the ZX3 while it's still possible to order one with the 2.3 engine.
  • Options
    bighouseazbighouseaz Member Posts: 4
    silver_bullet-

I still have my ZX3 which was also manufactured in 12/99. The car has been incredibly reliable and a joy to drive. The only problem was a clutch spring which had to be replaced after about 18 months of ownership.

The ZX3 with the 2.3L engine would be a blast to drive and a great deal at present. I plan to keep my Focus for another two years. When it comes time to replace it, I hope that a 2.3L ZX3 is an option. There are many good cars in this segment. I'm also following the development of the Mazda 3, Subaru Impezza wagon, and Golf GTI.
  • Options
    Let's see... ignoring all the recalls (rear seat hinge, A-pillar trim, rear hub bearing, etc.) my car had the famous fuel pump failure, A/C evaporator case split problem, a bum power steering rack, warped rotors, etc. After I got everything taken care of, I sold the car to my then-fiancee who has had no further problems... and she claims she broke our engagement for reasons OTHER than the Focus ;-). Having been through the wringer with Ford over this car, I can't believe I'd buy another one, but I might consider it because the car is such a nice design otherwise, and it is a bargain for the price. Go check out the Mazda3 - I drove one recently and was very impressed, but the styling leaves me cold, and I don't really need all the features that come standard with the hatchback - plus, I don't really want four doors with my hatch.
  • Options
    orangejuliusorangejulius Member Posts: 5
    What's new in the 2004 Focus besides the 2.3 option and the slighter bigger fuel tank? Someone mentioned something about the suspension?

Also, when did the Autumn Orange color go away?
  • Options
    1. Please read the article:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=17010&ma- - - ke_id=trust

2. Orange Autumn has been discontinued after the '00 year model.

Silver, yes I'm still checking this thread.
    My car has been affected by many of the early model problems.
    Fortunately I was able to convince my local dealers to fix the most of them before my car run out of warranty.
    Yes, that was a really big hassle. Now it's running pretty good and I would buy another Focus again, especially considering all the improvements and the major advancement in the reliability ratings (but NEVER the first year model regardless of the brand).
  • Options
    Vadp, thanks for the reply. I know the 2005 Focus will be out in 2004, but I was asking about the 2004 Focus, not 2005.
  • Options
    My 2004 PZEV ZX3 has a new front suspension for this iteration. It rides better and handles better due to this suspension upgrade.
  • Options
    Now do I get a 2004 2.3 ZX3 or 2005 2.3 ZX4? There will probably be some pretty good deals to be had on 2004's near the end of April as the 2005's start rolling in, or did I get the dates wrong?
  • Options
    New for 2004 --

* 2.3-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine available in all states

* ZX3 now available with leather seating surfaces

* New steering knuckles and struts for improved ride and handling

* New exterior color on ZX3 and ZX5: Light Tundra

http://downsford.com/order_guides/2004%20Focus%20Order%20Guide.pd- f
  • Options
    Thanks for that link, vadp. For those of us who want a performance-oriented, three door hatchback that doesn't break the bank, it looks like 2004 is going to be the last time a ZX3 can be configured the way I'd want it. Too bad I don't really need a new car right now :( Am I the only person who's being left behind by what seems to be a never ending march "upmarket" by the world's automakers? Whatever happened to simple, light weight cars with decent power, good brakes, predictable handling, no doo-dads, and a price tag under $15K?
  • Options
    Enthusiasts seem to have abandoned the "car" market....
  • Options
    cobiecobie Member Posts: 108
    someone mentioned that they had the hatch tightened on their focus. Over irregular and rough surfaces i have found that a loose or jiggly sound comes from the hatch. Ford dealer says it's tight. I don't believe it. Any advice from those experiencing similar problem?
  • Options
    According to what I have heard about the 2005 Focus, only the fourdoor sedan will be available with the 2.3 engine. This sounds nuts, but that seems to be what Ford is doing for 2005. My advice is to get the 2004 hback ZX3 with ABS in the premium car. I got automatic also, and I am glad I did not get the stick as the new engine gives plenty of performance with auto, and it is much more convenient to drive in traffic. This car lists for l7100 but can be bought for under l5000 loaded with power everything, auto, and ABS. I sure like mine and I would not be interested in going back to the 2.0 engined car after having this super little car. It has been flawless for 8300 miles, and just seems to get better every time I drive it. Good stuff. Also get the Blaupunkt MP3=CD radio. It is the best radio Ford offers in the Focus as standard equipment. Do not get the 6 disc player. Old stuff.
  • Options
    Ford will respond to public opinion at least where there is a long enough lead time to do so. Unless they have a production line problem with the 2.3 (can't make enough) it should be more widely available.

On the other hand it is entirely possible the only reason the green states got the 2.3, is to meet fleet emissions requirements, and the only reason the 2.3 goes national 2004 ONLY is because they haven't had time to come out with the 2.0 Duratec (as opposed to ZETEC). But, why didn't they roll out the 2.0 PZEV first?

Surely they can't be "taking back" the greatest thing to every happen to the Focus line? It can't be gas mileage - the 2.3 PZEV beats the 2.0 Zetec....
  • Options
    It does seem idiotic that Ford would make the 2.3 available in the Hback and others, for a period of only 4 or 5 months. (The 05's are to be out in April or May) What must they be thinking? You are right, the 2.3 is the best thing to ever happen to the Focus, and I cannot understand why Ford would think anything else. Is it possible for a corporation to have a nervous breakdown???
  • Options
    zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    Happpy Holidays gentlemen! Glad to hear you are still
    around.I echo your sentiments regarding the hatchling.
    Although i have sworn off any purchase of a Ford product,
    i am still intrigued by this vehicle.I guess it is the price/
    performance factor. Has the quality improved dramatically
    overall? I also was an owner of a 1999 build year which was
    a 2000.It was most definitely a fun to drive experience,
    soured by the recalls. I am gald to hear that others have
    had a positive experience and wish you continued good
    luck with your purchase.
  • Options
    zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    Silver Bullet, good to hear your back.! I am still lol at the
    Job 1 quality is still a myth.
    The spouse has her eye on that upcoming Mustang.
    You are right, it will be hard to resist. Can you believe
    4 years has passed so quickly ? It is cool to see a lot of
    the old gang revisiting here to post. I actually had forgotten about the SVT Contour. It still amazes me how Ford dropped the ball on the Focus launch. Incredible design
    and engineering coupled with a very weak parts supply.
    I stiil can't believe that something as simple as a clutch return spring end breaking. How cheap is that? The reason i say that is because i have driven 30 years without that happening. Sure, anything could go with a vehicle but this was a clear indicator to me that smelled of bad things to
    come. Unfortunately, that was case and i gave up the beast.
    It is a shame because there are good qualities about the
    vehicle that they got right. If only that myth you had mentioned actually becomes a reality. Maybe i will change my mind.
  • Options
    NY Times, in their "Fast, Furious, Rebates" article named the PZEV Focus as one of the best of year:

"FORD FOCUS PZEV: The Focus's initial promise was undone by quality and mechanical glitches. With those problems presumably behind it, the Focus family is again one of Ford's bright lights; the high-performance Focus SVT is one of the best cars ever to wear the blue oval. This year, Ford earned some green stripes by offering partial-zero-emission versions of the Focus nationwide, proof that environmentally friendlier cars can also be peppy and economical, at a cost barely higher than much more polluting versions."
  • Options
    breisterbreister Member Posts: 5
    A few weeks ago we had a real big snowstorm while I was on the Interstate. The windshield froze up and no amount of heat and defrosting would clear it. The windshieldwipers had at least 1 inch of ice on it. Over a distance of 17 miles I stopped 3 times to clean the windshield and wipers and then got off the road at the next exit to stay in a motel.
    The dealer suggested to use recycled air and that would clear the windows (in addition to defrogging ,heat, etc).
    Yesterday it started snowing - not much - but enough to have the windshield frieze up again. The problem with recycled air is that you can only use that setting when the airflow is NOT directed to the windshield. I was ready to pass out with all the heat, could hardly see anything. On the passenger's site the view is slightly better but if I can't drive this car when it's snowing I am a shut-in in winter.. (Live in Maine).
    The windshieldwipers are really bad - this a a new car - and are not clearing the windows at all. Anyone else had this problem?
     I have called the dealer and I think they will put in better wipers but it's a shame that they started out with poor quality.
  • Options
    The lines on the 2005 Focii don't look that different. This is a "Honda style" appearance upgrade. Ditto on interior.

Rumor has it the 2.3's will be much scarcer than in 2004, so for once it may be better "not" to wait. (I am in that dilemma considering a wagon.)
  • Options
    snaptabsnaptab Member Posts: 21
    Been hearing great things about the 2.3 engine, lots of good, usable info on this board! My 2001 ZX3 continues to just roll along. It's now out of warranty and will need tires soon but no problems what so ever. Even with all the new vehicles introduced into the marketplace in the past 3 years, I think the ZX3 remains the leader of the pack. Can't beat the value! Happy New Year to all.
  • Options
    On a major internet carbuying site, I priced a leftover 2003 Focus 2.3L hback stick. The car has an additional $3k rebate on top of the existing $3k rebate. (the exisiting rebate expires in several days). Still, were I to buy today, I could get it for $9082.00 here in MA!!!! With a/c and a stereo!! Incredible. For such performance!!!
  • Options
    ... is the fact that the car is going to be worth even less as soon as you buy it, and it will continue to depreciate like a rock. As an ex-ZX3 owner, I still can't forgive Ford for messing up what should otherwise be one of the best compact cars available in the U.S. As I well remember from my days as a Focus owner and forum participant, there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to some of the problems people were experiencing - some folks got lucky (like snaptab) and others got heartache. Once burned, twice shy. As appealing as that Focus sounds, think hard before you write the check ;-)