Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Focus ZX3

Comments

• Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    if you want to exchange emails, make your email address public in your profile. We discourage the "email me" and listing of email addresses in posts.

Thanks!
  • Options
    buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    Yes, I suppose I should remember that a leftover 2003 has depreciated merely by sitting on the lot for a yr. Esp. a Focus, which seems to depreciate faster than melting ice cream. Still, for that price it might be worth it, perhaps as a second car alternative to Kia or Hyundai.
  • Options
    silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Oh, I agree - a ZX3 5-speed with the 2.3 engine is a very tempting car, and I'd take it in a heartbeat if my only alternatives were from Korea (here come the flames! There has been a VERY lively discussion going in the Elantra vs. Mazda3 forum if you are interested). There are quite a large number of happy Elantra owners, but that special price on the Focus is way cheaper than the Hyundai, at least going in. Both the Ford and the Hyundai suffer from rapid depreciation, so all things being equal I'd go for the car that fits you better and is most fun to drive.
  • Options
    vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    The current 2003 and 2004 models are vastly more reliable than the early 2000 and 2001 Focus models.

And IMHO with the current discounts, 100K powertrain warranty, terrific new Mazda developed engines and superior handling there should be no contest which car is a better value (Focus vs. Elantra).
    The Elantra is a nicely build, reliable car.
    The current Focus is a nicely build, reliable car beating the Elantra in power, with better ride and handling, better interior and cheaper long term maintanance costs (the parts are more readily available and should be much cheaper thanks to the domestic distribution channels. Very important if you plan on keeping your car for a loooong time).
    Plus the aftermarket Focus parts bin is just huge and still growing making it so much easier to tailor the car for your tastes.
    Also there are numerous Focus enthusiast websites with the tremendous amount of Focus related knowledge (upgrading info, how-to's and just general ownership experiences).
    The Elantra is a good car.
    The Focus might have a tarnished reputation thanks for the early models, but it has so much more going for it.
  • Options
    fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    vadp's right...the Focus is a real value and even if early cars had problems, worth considering. Our 2001 SE is at 45,000+ and still going strong!
  • Options
    Glad to hear your Focii are hanging in there. My ex-fiancee still drives mine, and seems to like it fine now that the "parade of recalls" has abated somewhat ;-) Oh - prepare for a reprimand from Edmunds for mentioning "that other" Focus website... doing so violates Townhall policy. You might want to edit your post :)
  • Options
    Glad you learned you lesson
  • Options
    seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Anyway. Recap of the missing post was that the wife's 2000 ZTS has been running fine at only about 40k miles, but did have to have the fuel pump replaced at around 27k miles. Seems to be a real common problem on early Focuses.

My 2002 ZX5 has been doing fine. Only about 17K miles on it, but really fun to drive, and practical still with 4 doors and a hatch.
  • Options
    cgsangelcgsangel Member Posts: 79
    After 3 years and 11 months of ownership, I'm still sticking with my zx3. I bought my autumn orange 2000 zx3 in late February 2000. It had a build date of December, 1999. Options incl. a/c, a/t, antilock brakes, side airbags. No power options were offered at that time, nor was a sunroof.

Maintenance has included the seven recalls. That's it. I'm still on the original brakes after 59,000 miles. I must have gotten one the way they should have been built right from the beginning.

I was in Tucson, AZ over the holidays and I got a look at a Focus from Mexico. It had a different look to the headlights and front bumper. I wouldn't say it looked better than mine, just different.

This was my first post in quite a while... nothing to complain about.
    CGSANGEL
  • Options
    snakerbillsnakerbill Member Posts: 272
    I just turned the odometer to l2000 miles, and my car has been perfect. No leaks, rattles or vibrations. Gets 29MPG with auto, and has very good ride and acceleration. I am on my third oil change, and the car has never been back to the dealer for any reason. Cant get better than flawless. I dont care if it has low resale, as I intend to keep it as a run-about even after I get my 05 Mustang GT. I will drive my money out of it sooner or later. At the rate I am putting on the miles it will be sooner. The car was delivered to me on ll=ll=03 and I expect the have around 60000 miles by the time I get the 05 Stang in September, 04.
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Be grateful for the long warranty - 150,000 on emissions related items, 100,000 on the powertrain (at least that's what I got on my '03).
  • Options
    I am retired and I travel all over the place. About 6000 miles per month is about right for me. I have friends all over the country and I go from Washington state to Tampa Florida and lots of places in between. Driving is my whole recreation, dont drink, dont smoke, just buy gasoline and drive. I love it. That is why I also buy at least one car per year, and sometimes two cars in one year. Yes I am glad for the l00000 powertrain warranty, however, most of the little things that go wrong with a car are not powertrain related, and I hope my ZX3 will continue being so good. Also, I hate airplanes and all the hassle involved in flying, and I feel that if I cant get there in my car, I dont need to go. (:
  • Options
    and I bet the buyers of your old car don't realize what a great deal they are getting (freeway miles are SO easy).
  • Options
    Yes, I do not have too much trouble selling my high mile cars, but not too many people have enough sense to realize that hi way miles are worth a lot more than city driving. Yes I do like my retirement and I worked 35 years to get to where I can do this. The most fun is just getting there.
  • Options
    My mileage was 26-27 when I had the 2.0 Zetec ZX# with automatic in a 2001 ZX3. I only had the car for about 6,000 miles then traded it in on a Mustang. (I currently have a 2003 PZEV ZX3 with 6,400 miles on it, a stick shift, and get 31-32 mpg).

Since you are keeping this for a lot of miles, what is your philosophy on maintenance to keep the warranty in effect? I have been doing oil changes at the Fast Lane at Ford dealers for about 26-30 dollars a pop. I don't plan on doing any maintenance until 30,000 miles - I believe that is the "non severe" manufacturer's requirement, although the dealers try to sell you "minor service" at 7,500, "intermediate" at 15,000, and "major" at 30,000.

On my other cars, dealer service for oil changes is either too expensive or too time consuming (requires drop off) so I go to a quick change lane at my old Honda dealer (which services all makes) and watch them do the work. At least it gives me a receipt from a reputable shop.

I haven't gone past 15,000 on any recent car except my VW, which ran pretty well until 44,000 and then started to break down.

I suspect if you have some factory receipts, your 150,000 mile emissions warranty and 100,000 mile powertrain warranty might be of real value.
  • Options
    I change oil every 4000 miles, and I buy the filter from my dealer, and get a receipt. I do the change myself in my shop (large garage), and I do all of the checks necessary during the inspections at oil change time. It is easy to follow the owners manual, and fill in the services performed. I have been looking for another company to get the filters, but to this time only Ford makes a filter for the PZEV 2.3 engine. I called Fram and they said that they were developeing a filter for this car and it would be available in the near future. Their number will be PH9566, and I would prefer an american made filter of the quality of Fram to the UK made Ford unit. I have been very impressed with the quality of the new Focus, and the guys in Mexico, where this car is built, really do a good job with the fit and finish. The doors, hood, and trunk close like a vault with very little force needed. This car has no rattles, vibrations, leaks or any other problem so prevelant in new cars. Great job. I hope my 05 Mustang will be as good. Maybe I just got a good one, but I have not heard bad reports on the 04 cars from anyone. Even Consumer Reports now recommends this car, and they rate it best small car in this class. So far so good. I will keep you informed if I have any problems.
  • Options
  • Options
    fdannafdanna Member Posts: 263
    Has anyone been able to get a look at the 05 ZX3?? Pictures are all of sedan.

I wish Ford would put more of it's weight behind the hatch. It has been very popular in the North East and more manufacturers are moving to introduce more hatches...they just make more sense. I hope the freshened the rear a bit.
  • Options
    chooseychoosey Member Posts: 6
    I bought a grey ZX3 used at 22,000 miles. I'm now at 30,000 miles with no problems to report. I experienced anti-lock breaking for the first time this winter. My first thought was "What's wrong with my brakes." The anti-lock kicks in with the first trace of any wheel spin. It's not subtle.

I still love the tight responsive handling, decent ride and ergonomic dash lay-out. The only thing that I wish were better is the engine noise upon acceleration.

I'm tempted by the new 2.3 but I think I'll keep this for a while. The car is just so "flingable"--I love it.
  • Options
    What kind of tires and wheels are on your car? Do you have the 50 series or the 60 series tires? If you are pleased with the flingability of the car I was curious about the tires. I have 50 series on my 2.3 04 ZX3 and it handles really good, and I was wondering how the car would handle with the 60 series tires, as the 60 series tires should have a way beter ride, but with some loss of cornering.
  • Options
    On my ZX3 2.3 2003.

Previously I had a ZX3 with 50's, and the ride was a little harsh, also I worried about rim damage. I prefer the 60's although they are a tad narrower.
  • Options
    I agree, the ride is a little harsh, and I have the opportunity to trade my tires and wheels for the multispoke l5" Ford Alloys and I think I will do so, as ride quality is all the time and performance is only once in a while, besides I like the symetrical 16 spoke wheels better than the 5 spoke that came with my car. Four lug nuts need multiples of 4 to look right, not five spokes with 4 lugs, looks off center to me, also unsprung weight is reduced with the smaller wheels, and the taller sidewalls give a MUCH better ride in the car I drove with those wheels and tires. This trade was offered to me at no cost by my dealer.
  • Options
    I thought I was the only odd duck who thought HIGHER profile tires in certain circumstances might be better. Ironically, only the Base ZX3 still comes with 15" wheels.

BTW, I heard - ugh - that the 2005's will come with STEEL wheels on the base models. The ZX3 may be getting "de-contented."
  • Options
    I think you are right about the steel wheels, but the real decontentizing Ford is doing is not offering the 2.3 engine in the Hatch ZX3. I understand that the only car with the good engine and four wheel disc brakes will be, get this, the 4 door sedan. Wow, have they gone nuts? Why would they not offer the best performance equipment in the sportiest car? Also, everytime I mention the fact that I think 60 or 70 series tires are better for the street, the guys in our auto club look at me with one eye shut. They just don't get it. The crazy fanzines started this rubber band rim protecter tire size and every kid who knows nothing about cars went for the lie. More profit for the wheel and tire companies, and to the devil with the consumer. These cars ride like they have square wheels, and I would sure hate to drive to California on those two inch high tires.
  • Options
    zgrrrlzgrrrl Member Posts: 147
    I used to post on this board waaaay back in '00 right before & after the purchase of my 2000 ZX3. I see there are still a few names around here of original owners I recognize.

Anyway, almost 4 years and 58,000 miles later, and many, many trips to incompetent Ford service departments I am ready to give in.

Getting stranded for the THIRD time because my ignition switch failed (the infamous "my key is stuck" problem thousands of other owners have dealt with) is the final straw. Oh, and the latest fuel-pump replacement I no longer have the time, money or patience to keep sinking into it.

And it's sad, really, because I really loved this car at one point, and would defend it tirelessly. Now I realize it wasn't worth it. New model year risk aside, Ford's customer service is so poor, it only made the whole experience worse.

At any rate, I am going to buy a new car within the next month, and you can be sure it won't be a Ford.

After a test drive, I fell in love with the new Mazda 3, since it's also a new model, I think I might need to wait on it.

I'll have to peruse the Mazda forum for awhile I guess.
  • Options
    I remember you quite well, and yes, most of us were very happy with our new ZX3s back in 2000... before reality set in. I couldn't agree more about Ford disservice, and about the impracticality of owning a car that can leave you stranded with little or no warning. Like you, I'm also looking very closely at the Mazda3 hatchback, and except for the fact that my current vehicle runs perfectly and meets my needs adequately, I'd be driving one today. I've monitored the Mazda3 boards closely, and there seem to be a few fairly minor nits with the car, but nothing major at this point. You may be wise to wait a bit, but if you have a competent and caring Mazda dealer in your area, I'd give the 3 serious consideration. Best of luck to you, and let's hope Ford's 1/3 ownership of Mazda doesn't tarnish the new 3 ;-)
  • Options
    I had a very lousy 2000, a semi lousy 2001, and now have an excellent 2003. It's true that Ford has gotten the bugs out and now its one of the best built small cars out there.

Ford's idiocy in not properly trouble shooting the car before mass producing it (in America, the Europeans were more sensible and it has always been toprated over there) is, at this point, our gain, since the current car is made like a Honda, runs Hondas into the ground, has more room, and costs a lot less.

Have the last laugh. Trade in the 2000 on a new 2005 (make the dealer give you a good trade in, and if they won't because of its notorious bugs, call Ford customer service and ask for, and get, a customer appreciation certificate for from 1,000 to 2,000 to use on another Focus, to make up for your suffering). The new 2005 is due in April, and comes with DOHC engines on ALL models, larger disc brakes, and some other serious "running changes" that make the car very, very appealing. Oddly enough, since you like the Mazda3, you should know that the motors in the 3 and the Focus are "shared" albeit in different states of tune (variable valve timing, or not, etc).

Admittedly the Mazda3 is made in Japan, and may therefore have "some" of that Japanese quality, but keepin in mind that it is the first model year on a totally new platform, shared with the European Focus and with the Volvo S40. Ford made a deliberate choice NOT to upgrade to this platform in America in order to avoid "reintroduction bugs" based on a new model. Right now, I would bet on the 2005 Focus to be more "stable" as a "build" than the 2004 Mazda3.

Also, crunch the numbers real carefully first. Mazda3's are going for list price right now, Ford is offering $3,000 rebates plus dealers will knock off anything from $600-$1500 additional. Now the numbers look good for a long term "hold." The powertrain warranty is extended on the Ford, too.

As for bad Ford service, I have had nothing but great Ford service here...but I had to switch dealers to get it. There are a lot of Ford dealers, some are much better than others. If you get the regular maintenance from a regular favorite dealer, they'll look out for you much more than the selling dealer with a bad service department.

BTW, watch out for overpaying for service. I have to constantly tell them I don't want 5,000 or 7,500 minor and intermediate services, all I want is the oil change until the 30,000 mile when I'll get the full service - because that's all the manual requires (true, there are tire rotations before 30,000 but I don't like tire rotations). And read what the manual requires - don't let a dealer replace 100,000 mile spark plugs at 15,000 or 30,000 service; maybe at 50,000, but not before.

If you get a PZEV, even the air filter is extended change - I usually replace the filter myself every 10,000 miles, it is so easy to do, but this is not required on the PZEV.

The only thing to do MORE than the manual, is oil changes at 3,000 miles (severe service) instead of 5,000 miles; brake fluid changes between 24-36 months depending on your level of concern about moisture contamination; and transmission and radiator fluid changes much earlier than recommended, say every 30,000 miles.

Most of what they charge you for on 30,000 mile services is "just looking" anyway. Might as well keep the fluids fresh while the car is in the bay. The cars run on plugs, filters (air, oil, fuel - except non-serviceable fuel tank units - and cabin), and fluids...the rest is "solid" and "no maintenance required".

Oh, I have heard some people say that O2 sensors are also a weak link, more prone to contamination than the manufactures want to admit, often they don't outright "fail" but reduce performance, much like worn plugs, so if you are performance oriented, an earlier than strictly required change might be helpful.

No car is perfect. The 2000 Focus was a throwback to '70's quality control. But the current Focus is worth a second look. It has always been great handling and peppy, now it is reliable too.
  • Options
    I'm curious to know how many people have tried and been turned away with the fuel pump service campaign. I'm taking my car in on Monday to the same dealer that told me last year they would not be able to reproduce the hesitating I'm getting going around cloverleafs because there aren't any close by. They told me that will be able to get a code from the computer to see if the pump is indeed the problem.

I find this hard to believe because even in Ford's own memo it mentions nothing about trouble codes.

Anyway, they like to keep you on edge at the dealer so they use phrases like "*IF* your car shows the problem.... then we'll replace it." From the letter I read (the memo sent to the dealer, not to me), the burden of proof is pretty much on the dealer to prove to you that your problem is attributable to something other than the fuel pump. If they cannot prove it, then they're supposed to replace it.

The service advisor told me they have yet to see a car with this problem. Not encouraging :-(
  • Options
    I can't believe the service guy was able to keep a straight face while telling you he had never seen a car with the fuel pump/fuel starvation problem. I'm sorry, but this is exactly the kind of stonewalling that will keep me away from Ford forever. Jeez, that guy must have been trained by Honda ;-)
  • Options
    See the last page for the dealer diagnostic routine:

http://www.autosafety.org/Focus03N01.pdf
  • Options
    Well, had my fuel pump replaced yesterday. Not too happy about going in with 3/4 of a tank of gas and getting it back with less than 1/4, but it was well worth it. It's like driving a new car.
  • Options
    Your not serious, are you?
  • Options
    I'm serious, why? Not only do I no longer have to worry about dying on the highway again, but the stuttering, hesitation and surging that I had since the end of year 1 of ownership, have gone away.

I checked to make sure it was the new design pump, not the old one. I can only take their word for it.

Don't get met wrong, I'm sure I have yet undiscovered bugs and glitches to encounter, but for now, all is well.

Had they only admitted to this flaw two years ago, I would have been spared a lot of aggravation. It also warms my heart to know that ford had to shell out $$$ on my behalf to the tune of 200 - 300 bucks.
  • Options
    I mean about the gas!
  • Options
    Yeah, serious about that too :-) They drained the gas and left it at 1/4 a tank. I didn't even bother to question it... more trouble than it's worth.
  • Options
    puckyhuddlepuckyhuddle Member Posts: 52
    My 02 ZX3 headlights only work when the engine is on. Not a big deal, but I suspect it may be a symptom of a bigger problem. Dealer checked it out and found all was OK. Service tech said this is a feature on some models...which I'm sure is total BS. Anybody else with this "feature"?
  • Options
    Uhmm ... yeah, headlights only work when the car is running. This is to reduce battery drain. Do you have a need to run your headlights without the engine running?
  • Options
    heyjonheyjon Member Posts: 1
    First time posting here.

My Ford Focus turned 1 year old a week ago, but I only have 7500 miles on it. The only problem I have had so far is the bumper screws on the rear bumper weren't in all the way. I took it to my dealer and they fixed it. It has been a great car so far and has good performance in my opinion, at least compared to my sister's 2003 Civic LX.

I fit 5 people (4 others & me) in it a few weeks ago and filled the trunk with wood and we all headed to the beach. Still accelerated fine, but the rear suspension oscillated like 2-3 times over big bumps. Maybe all of those people and the wood made it too heavy in the back. Everyone in the car was surpised how much room it had, and how I could accelerate rather quickly.
  • Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Bunch of older VWs and Subarus I've been in have the lights go out when the engine is off. I think some had a switch to override, not sure.

-B
  • Options
    16000 Miles, changed the oil again, and still have no problems of any kind. This car is the best all around car I have had in years. It is so superior to the Honda Civic EX I traded in on it that it is not in the same world. Fuel mileage remains at 29 hiway, and 24-25 city with automatic, the ride and acceleration has improved a little as the miles go up, and it is a great handling car. No rattles, vibrations,leaks or any other thing that plagued my last car (the Civic), and I can really recommend this car to anyone.
  • Options
    markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    I noticed in one of your recent posts that you took delivery of your PZEV the same day I had delivery of mine. The weather has been awful and for various reasons have been confined to local driving. Total odometer reading for me at this point is only 2600 miles.
    I got my J.D. Power survey in the mail this week and will report no problems. However I really should not answer questions about the A/C because obviously Have not been able to use it. The only negative comments I will make will concern the side-view mirrors. They are to small and not designed to fold in.
    This was obviously the worst time of the year to take delivery. I am somewhat concerned about the break-n process, I try not to make my trips that short, but this is the first time I am breaking in a car with an Automatic transmission. With a stick you can control engine speed and load during the crucial breakin period. Pushing the throttle to force a shift on icy roads (to say nothing of the potholes) just is not a good idea even though the driving dynamics of this Focus are excellent.
  • Options
    jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    I tested a few Focus PZEV's with manual transmission at the dealer. The deals are unbelievable and overall I liked the car. I noticed that the engines had to be cranked quite a while before starting. That was on 3 out of 3 cars. I wonder if anyone has had or continues to have this experience? Once warmed up and shut off they all started pretty quickly and it is a great feeling engine underway. I also noticed the transmissions were very "notchy" on 1st gear to the point where you wanted to just skip 1st and start in 2nd. Is this a common charactersitic of this transmission? Seemed pretty good on all the other gears. Any inputs are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    Even if I let it sit a week it starts up right away. Sometimes cars on dealers lots don't get started up very often - may have been sitting for a month.

No problems with the manual tranny. Very slick. Almost as good at the redesigned one in the Honda Civic (which is the current gold standard).
  • Options
    You actually *LIKE* honda manual transmissions? Not to mention the clutches... they engage at the last minute and are hard to shift gracefully.

I drove a 96 Civic for 5 years and I found the focus to be a godsend regarding the stick and clutch.

Gold standard according to who/what?
  • Options
    ...and it was a lot better. I drove that new Civic tranny for 10k+ miles before trading in the Civic. Who/what raves about Honda manual transmissions? The big three car magazines. Having driven a lot of manuals, I agree with them, the Civic transmission is very good in its current incarnation. I also had a stick shift '93 Honda Civic, and it wasn't as good as either the current Civic the current PZEV Focus.

I think I was responding in my post to someone who thought the PZEV Focus manual was notchy. It isn't. It's great. But I think the tranny in the PZEV models is different from the ZETEC and SPFI models. I had a Zetec version before, and while I had no problems with it, the PZEV is definitely better. Very, very nice.
  • Options
    jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    I have to agree on the Civic trans being the gold standard (although the clutch is not great). I have a Civic with 137K on it and it does shift better then the PZEV I drove which was very notchy from 1st, so I have to ask myself if the car is defective, since at least some or maybe most of them do not have this problem? Maybe the cable can be adjusted? On the other gears the tranny was similar quality to the Civic, just a little heavier feel. I noticed on the sticker that the tranny is from Germany! Could they have changed the source?
  • Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Loosens up after a few thousand miles.
  • Options
    Hi, I live in a part of the country that has decent weather, so I am able to drive the whole year if I go west and south of my home. My auto trans is very alert and downshifts come with reasonably light throttle. I varied my speed on the open roads during break-in (500Mi), and refrained from using cruise control during this period. It was not a problem with the automatic to control engine revs and speed by using the O/D lock out button on the shifter, and sometimes, putting the shifter in a lower gear for a few minutes. I have no ice to contend with, but potholes can be a problem in the city, but the main roads are in rather good condition. I am going on a trip in a few days, and I should be close to 20K miles upon my return. Will update again at that time. I hope you will like your ZX3 as well as I like mine. It is a great little car, and worth the money, plus, it is so much fun to drive that I enjoy it every day.
  • Options
    I noticed on the sticker that the tranny is from Germany! Could they have changed the source?

All of the Focus 5-speed trannys from 2002-up are manufactured in Germany.
  • Options
    carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    I am looking for an affordable used hatchback and like everything about the Focus except the recall history. If I were to get a 2001 or 2002 Focus, what would I be in for?

Odds are the important recall work would've already been done, and at this point there can't be too many more flaws to find... but has anyone's Focus here had any major problems?