Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Focus ZX3

Comments

• Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    For the last couple of years the auto press has been reporting that the next generation of the Ford Focus, due as a 2005 model, will be based on the platform developed for the replacement for the Mazda Protege - I don't know what the Mazda will be called, I haven't been tracking that line of the family tree. The one thing that sounded interesting was that the platform is supposed to be developed to make the addition of all wheel drive (AWD) easy. The flip side is that there may be suspension changes that reduce the lovable handling of the current ZX3. (I just checked spec's on Edmunds, and it looks like the Mazda6 weighs about 400 pounds more than the ZX3; also keep in mind the two door ZX3 weighs slightly less than most Focii, with the stick, non-air, the lightest of the bunch.)

There is now a board on Edmunds devoted to the new Mazda; just type in the keyword Mazda and select the right user board.

I just read some information on autonews that about 10 (!) different Ford models are going to be based on the current Mazda 6 platform, with 65% of the content, in terms of value, being interchangeable with the Mazda 6. However, one of the reasons given for Ford going this route was the adaptability of the Mazda 6 platform to lengthening/shortening, widening/narrowing. In otherwords, using the same "platform" isn't going to be the same as the days when a Dodge Neon/Plymouth Neon, Chevy Cavalier/Pontiac Sunfire were just mildly re-skinned versions of each other.

I remember Honda had a perhaps similar concept in the previous generation Accord - the platform was designed to it could be used in Europe (narrower) and America (wider) due to "cones" that would allow the wheels to be pushed further out...I never heard any negatives about it, although the concept sounded dubious at the time.

I think, but am not sure, that the 2.0 Zetec is a kissing cousin to the 2.0 liter in the Mazda Protege. There are a lot of details that are different, however, just like the new Focus PZEV is supposed to be quite different from the Mazda 6 engine (kind of a dumbed down version - no variable valve timing, for one).

It is kind of interesting that the bean-counters, on the one hand, are getting some uniformity of product to keep development costs down (and share manufacturing costs), but the engineers are able to "tune up/tune down" and otherwise tweak and customize the base engines to suit the market place. I was of course worried that the PZEV might be "dumbed down" to the point it wasn't any better than the 2.0 Zetec, but this just isn't the case - as I have said, it is immensely fun to drive, very strong and responsive, and I suspect it is carrying around a lot less weight, vehicle to vehicle, that the Mazda 6.
  • Options
    jpsullivanjpsullivan Member Posts: 11
    I've had my 2003 Focus PZEV ZX5 5-speed for a little over a week now, and bonded with the beauty on a long road trip this weekend. I agree with all of micweb's observations posted above. Lots of quiet, refined power at low revs. This car is a born cruiser and "wants" to go 85 on the highway. It's so quiet that I have to be vigilant to prevent this.

Nevertheless, I drove close to 80 for much of 300 miles on Intersates 83 and 81 from Baltimore, MD to Ithaca, NY yesterday, I got 32.5 mpg out the PZEV. AC was on for about half the time on this drive which includes many ups and downs. On a flatter highway with no AC at 65 mph it would no doubt do better yet.

3000 rpms in 5th puts you at 80 mph in my car.
  • Options
    beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    The Mazda3 and Focus will be on a different chassis than the Mazda6. The 6 weighs so much more because it is so much bigger.
  • Options
    Last tank gas mileage was 31-32 with a stick shift, so the 2003 PZEV ZX3 is consistently delivering more than 30 mpg; my old 2000 ZX3 was a little lower, usually at 30 mpg.

This is a very smooth and quiet engine. I did some more passing on roads at Yosemite and it willingly revs up to 6,800 rpm (I didn't intend it, just happened to glance down at the tachometer before my upshift); I would feel guilty except the engine pulls so willingly and strongly throughout its power band. On the other hand, the engine's got great roll-on power so I can leave it in 5th for normal freeway passing (from 60 to 80 for example), unlike the 2000 model which seemed to call for a downshift if you were below 70.

Since I owned other cars in between the 2000 ZX3 and this 2003 ZX3, I can't recall exactly how the 2000 ZX3 felt in terms of handling, but I thought it felt better than the current model. In 2000, I was coming off a long ownership of a Civic '93 CX model, and so of course the 2000 ZX3 with its much better executed suspension felt like a BMW in comparison, not to mention the Zetec vs. a fuel economy optimized Civic engine. When I had ZX3 problems I "downgraded" (in terms of engine power, roominess, quite, and handling) to a 2001 Golf.

Since buying the Golf, though, I put Tokico shocks on it, which roughened the ride but improved the handling.

So now,I think, the 2003 ZX3 feels a little "soft" or "wallow-y", especially at high speeds. On the other hand it swerves really well at highway speeds (to avoid stuff spilled on the highway) so maybe I am just not used to a car that can deliver a cushy ride while also handling well. Maybe the suspension is exactly the same as on the 2000, only my standards have changed.

I do notice that the upholstery is now an attractive cloth finish (like you see on the new Neons and entry level "baby" Benz hatchback) instead of velour (which used to rub off on my jeans), and only the driver's seat bottom moves up and down, not the whole seat like on the 2000 model. The 2003 still turns precisely and has a death grip on the road. It just seems "cushier" in the ride instead of "sporty hard."

Anyway, not a single problem so far or hint of a problem or defect. Yay! I always like the Focus best, now Ford is building them right....

Oh wait, yeah, there is one thing - the gas cap has a different tether set up, it is just a plastic loop, thin and cheap, that goes around a groove in the gas cap, and it either binds or twists off. After re-affixing it one time, I just decided to leave it off and let it dangle - and hope I don't leave my now tetherless gas cap behind somewhere.

Can't find a replacement oil filter anywhere, one dealer couldn't even find it in his computer. Even running searches for Mazda6 filters doesn't help...I'll have to buy a couple at some dealer who stocks them, then see if my local oil change shop can deal with a drop in element.

The air filter seems to have a "wear indicator" which seems odd- some gizmo near the filter box which runs down as the filter is used. Don't know what it's for....we all got by for years without such things. Maybe it's required for the PZEV certification?
  • Options
    I enjoy reading your impressions of your ZX3 PZEV, micweb. I'm loving mine, too, which has about 1100 miles on it now. Admittedly, I don't have much experience with many other new cars in its class, but it is head and shoulders better in terms of handling, power and isolation from engine noise than a late model Chrysler Sebring 4-door and a two-year-old Protege I've driven recently. My other car is a Dodge pickup, so obviously the contrast is huge. I would like to drive a 325i just for comparison somtime.

Highway cruising is a real pleasure in this car and to me it feels very secure on the highway at 70-80. Passing power at 65-70 mph in 5th is really impressive, as you say. The only handling characteristic that surprised me a bit is the tendency of the rear end to hop after encountering a pothole or bump at speed. This is undoubtedly a result of the up-front weight distribution of this car. At no time does it feel as if the car is out of control and I don't think it is dangerous, but still, every time it happens it makes me go "oh my."

I am still not entirely used to the first two gears of this car. I am a long-time manual transmisson driver, but always up till now, in light trucks. In these, if the wheels were moving at all, say, after going over a speed bump, the appropriate gear to be in was second. This is not so in the Focus. I suppose lower gears are optimized for torque in these trucks, so first and second are like 0.5 and 1.5 relative to 1st and 2nd gears in the Focus. In the Focus the engine will lug a bit in 2nd if speed isn't over 5 mph. I also still lack confidence with releasing the clutch in first gear after a stop, and have killed the engine a few times. It is much less forgiving than the first gear in any light truck I've driven, but perhaps this would be true for any small 5-speed car. A little too much gas and front wheels will hop and you lurch forward, too little and you kill the engine. Release the clutch too slowly and the engine races before the gears engage. No doubt practice will make perfect, but I'm surprised that after several days of driving it I still get a bit nervous when the light turns green.
  • Options
    jpsullivan, I have stalled the ZX3 PZEV several times, and I NEVER do that despite driving sticks for years and years. I was blaming it on the very low idle rpm, but I of course give it gas before letting the clutch out. So I attribute it just to getting used to this car. Maybe in some subtle way it has a different rate of clutch take out, or is too quiet, but I have killed it too several times. It's not a driveability issue, just getting used to it, like different cars have different brake pedal feel too. My Golf has an ultrasensitive brake pedal and I always lurch that car after moving over from the ZX3.

As to prior driving experience, if you have driven the Protege and like the ZX3 better, well according to most magazine articles of the past couple of years the Protege is the small sedan to beat. A friend has a 2002 and I have driven it, and the engine is neat, but the car feels a little small on the interior and the suspension is definitely "jiggly."

I was tempted to wait for the major redesign coming up in a year and a half on the Focus, but who knows if that means starting from ground zero all over again on the defects issue. I think the basic design of the ZX3 is already tops in its class (as acknowledged in Europe) and the only concern I ever had was quality, which seems to have finally arrived.
  • Options
    I got a lot more practice starting from dead stops in traffic yesterday and am definitely getting better at it. It is a bit more difficult when stopped on a steep incline (going up).

The Protege I drove was probably a 2000 model. I have heard the good reports about the newer Proteges, too.

Still enjoying getting to know my Focus and dreading the first parking lot ding or scratch in the twilight blue paint.
  • Options
    Since Americans consider walking more than 100 feet a burden, an infringement on their inalienable right to find close-in parking, I just park further away from stores etc. and never have a problem....
  • Options
    Hardly did I think I was on such a cutting edge. No Motorcraft oil filters to be had from San Francisco dealers - Hayward Ford or Serramonte Ford - their warehouse supplier is back ordered, too. At Hayward Ford, they didn't even have the 2.3L engine in their computer, and the service department initially thought I was pulling their leg about its existence.

Hmm. Maybe I should race for pink slips with unsuspecting ZX3 owners who haven't heard of this engine either. That would be funny. Or maybe I should offer to sell my car to a street racer, claiming I've heavily modified it to take a Mazda6 engine....

The Service Manager at Hayward did do some quick detective work and told me the 2.3 liter Ranger (similar engine)comes with a spin on, not drop in, oil filter...
  • Options
    pzboypzboy Member Posts: 3
    I have had my pzev focus for 2 weeks now. Since i've had it i've sold 2 to my friends. Amazing refinement compared to anything in its class. I drove the civic and corolla..hands down the focus handles better, more power, and ULTRA quiet for a 4cyl engine. I did alot of research before i bought it..the technology that went into the design is outstanding. I wanna rev the car so high because it sounds so good but i'm trying to baby it for a while. I almost bought the ztec powerplant too. Thank god my dealership told me to wait..
  • Options
    Same sentiments as you on the PZEV, but where did you research it? I haven't found anything to read about yet...
  • Options
    Ford did a press release for the car which was very detailed in the dynamics of the engine. This is on their website now where it talks about the cars release at the LA Auto Show. If you do a search on pzev focus you will pull up some articles. Although none of the major car mags have tested it yet i emailed them as to when it would happen. I also read an article that said focus is now the 5th cleanest running car in the world..just below the hybrids.
  • Options
    I thought it was Pennzoil, but it might be Conoco (now Conoco Phillips), see the press release I discovered below:

HOUSTON, TX, May. 10 -/E-Wire/-- After extensive engine and fleet testing with

a major automobile manufacturer, Conoco (NYSE:COCA, NYSE:COCB) has added SAE 5W-20

motor oil to its Hydroclear® product line for retail sales. Conoco was the first in

North America to develop the low-viscosity SAE 5W-20 for low emission engines, and

first to supply the new motor oil to an automotive OEM for factory and service fill.

Conoco's SAE 5W-20 surpasses both API SL and ILSAC GF-3 standards. ASTM engine tests

confirm that the new motor oil significantly reduces fuel consumption resulting in

reduced carbon dioxide emissions while providing superior engine protection. This

allows vehicle manufacturers to appreciably improve their Corporate Average Fuel

Economy (CAFE).

Conoco scientists developed SAE 5W-20 motor oil from proprietary premium base stocks

and Conoco's Hydroclear® lubricant technology. ``This new motor oil is much more
    than

a lower viscosity grade of an existing product. It's a totally new kind of passenger

car motor oil, and Conoco was the first company to develop it,'' said David Turner,

Conoco's product manager for automotive lubricants.

``It's been on the market as a factory-fill motor oil and private-label brands for

more than a year. Now it's available as Conoco Hydroclear® Super All Season Motor
    Oil

through a network of lubricant distributors and the 5,000 Conoco retail outlets in

North America,'' Turner said.

______ Since Mobil Exxon made the Honda private label 5-20 oil, and Ford is the only other player (Mazda being a subspecies of Ford, and Acura a subpecies of Honda), it looks like Conoco was the initial manufacturer, at least, of Motorcraft 5-20. What's Hydroclear?
  • Options
    Here's what one supplier website says about Hydroclear:

Advanced Technology. Proven Performance HYDROCLEAR® Lubricants from Conoco are a full line of high performance products formulated from pure hydrocracked base oils with the finest additives.

Hydrocracking chemically removes all contaminants and unstable hydrocarbons from the crude oil, producing an extremely stable base oil so free of impurities that it's water-clear.

Conoco HYDROCLEAR® oils and fluids provide synthetic-like performance at non-synthetic prices. It doubles your oil drain intervals, lowers your equipment wear, reduces your maintenance costs and extends your equipment life.

All HYDROCLEAR® products come with a 100% Conoco Performance Guarantee. Plus, we provide Maintenance Excellence services to help you get the most out of our products.

__________Does that mean it's free of paraffin, and flows better at cold temperatures? It sounds like Conoco tried to make the 5-20 a good oil. What's hydrocracking - I heard that Syntec from Castrol is "hydrocracked" while Mobil 1 is a "true synthetic."
  • Options
    Here is some web stuff on Hydrocracking:

Engine oils are being introduced into the market place which utilize Group II or Hydrocracked base stocks. The manufacturing process for these base oils removes contaminants, such as sulfur, nitrogen, iron, and other materials normally found in conventional solvent-refined base oils.

Advantages of hydrocracking technology may include longer lubricant life, fewer deposits, less maintenance, increased uptime and, under certain conditions, extended drains. Some factors which may affect lubricant life are high oil temperatures, presence of water or dirt in an oil, entrained air, loss of additive performance and contamination from combustion byproducts.

Products formulated with Group II or Hydrocracked base oils have shown advanced performance in the areas of oil oxidation, thermal degradation, and stability. However, it is important to remember that dirt from the environment, unburned fuel, and other contaminants will play a key role when extended oil drain intervals.

___________Ok, so here is my question: Why is there a "Super Premium Semi Synthetic" version of Motorcraft 5-20 IF, as I read above, Hydrocracked oils are functionally very similar to synthetic oils? Did Ford switch suppliers? Which is better, Hydroclear from Conoco of a "semi" synthetic?
  • Options
    It looks like my fears of engine wear with 5-20 oil are unfounded. The Motorcraft website says the 5-20 premium semisynthetic is hydrocracked and nearly as good as full synthetic oil. The use groups had this one quote from early development by Ford:

"Second, there are differences between the present ILSAC GF-2 standard
    (GF stands for gasoline fueled) and the soon to be commercialized GF-3
    standard. The performance of a GF-3 oil will be significantly improved
    over a GF-2 oil. When Motorcraft released it's SAE 5W-20 formulation we
    wanted it to perform at the GF-3 level; but the GF-3 spec had not been
    finalized, so we 'guesstimated' what GF-3 would look like. In so doing
    we doubled the length of the standard dynamometer Sequence IIIE test
    (which duplicates high temperature trailer towing) which increases wear
    protection and reduces oil thickening. While GF-3 also improves on the
    standard GF-2 Sequence IIIE test, it went nowhere near as far as Ford
    did. This provides Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 with a significant increase over
    'standard' GF-3 oils, which most SAE 5W-30 oils will meet."

In other words, Motorcraft 5-20 (and presumably any other oil satisfying the Ford WSS etc. spec) significantly exceeds the current SL and GF-3 specs; even though it was formulated even before the recent upgrade from SJ to SL oils.

I guess I'll just go to the Ford dealer for oil changes. How boring.
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    So the ZTEC had 130hp @ 5300rpm and 135 lb-ft tq at 4500rpm.
    PZEV 148hp @ 5500
          152 lb-ft tq @4500

SVT 170hp @ 7000
          145 @ 5500

0-60mph

ZTEC 8.7-9.5 sec.
    SVT 7.2-8.0 sec.

So what will the PZEV do 0-60 in? It is my understanding that acceration is largly baed on the amount of torque. The 2.3 has more torque than the SVT and is available at a lower rpm. Now somehow horsepower comes into play as well. So, my question is how close will acceleration numbers match up to that of the SVT. My guess would be somewhere in between the SVT and the ZETEC. Maybe 0-60 in around 8 sec? I wish someone would do a review of this new motor.
  • Options
    biker16biker16 Member Posts: 26
    The PZEV air filter Is a liftime air filter Good for up to 150,000 miles. Due to the PZEV standard the inductuion system absorbs Fuel vapors too.

The Key to the PZEV standard is the 10/100,000 warranty on all emissions equipment, including the air induction system.

The oil filter shouldn't be a cardrige type but normal US type used on the ranger 2.3. so guys check that out.

what else?

Redline is 6500.

the 2.3 is lighter than the ZETEC by 40 lbs.
  • Options
    as confirmed by my dealer, who told me the Ranger has a conventional spin on filter...
  • Options
    xquxqu Member Posts: 55
    The huge rebate and cash back is why Ford doesn't hold its value!! It seems you saved some cash now, you will have to eat the lose when you sell it as well.

I can't believe ppl still buying the newer model after he/she had many problems with the older model and hoping all the problems are fixed. Anyway, it's your money, your decision. I'm through with Ford for sure. BTW, I have a '00 Focus ZX3 with 53K miles.
  • Options
    vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    And I do have a '00 Focus ZX3 as well with 52K miles and a lot of early ownership problems.

Am I hoping that all the problems are fixed?

I do know that they are fixed indeed.
    I do know the reasons for the troublesome Focus launch and what FoMoCo was doing to fix that.

The PZEV ZX3 is a tremendous value.
    I don't know how you can argue with this simple fact.
    Yes, the Focus holds very little in resale value as of today, because of perception of low quality projected from the 2000-2001 models on the whole model name.
    But if you're planning on keeping the car for more than 6 years, I don't think that it's gonna be much of a problem.
    And yes, it's our money.
    Therefore the most of us doing a lot of research before considering any car and especially any Ford, after being burned by the 2000 Focus model.

BTW, what's gonna be you next car?

I bet it's gonna be a Honda.
    But wait a minute the redesigned Civic has had lots of problems in its firs year of production too.
    At least the Focus is not as ugly and boring.
  • Options
    cgsangelcgsangel Member Posts: 79
    Hi,

It's been a while since I posted.

I survived the winter w/o going to snow tires. My 2000 ZX3 auto has about 45,000 miles w/o anything to report except for the still squeaky brakes in back on first few applications on a wet day. I thought by now I'd need brake work on the front based on other drivers' experiences, but the last check up at the dealership showed I still had more life left in them.

Because the trade-in value now is below $5000, I figure I will ride this one for some time to come. I must have gotten one of the good 2000 models, and I'm still within the extended warranty. My only repairs outside of the recalls have been two plugs for one tire. I do keep up the maintenance and I don't drive it hard unless in a tight spot, which happens sometimes around the Washington DC beltway. On weekends, I take it out to the western Maryland mountains and it runs with traffic easily.

All it needs right now is a good wash and wax. I wish they'd had 4 doors when I bought it, but when the time comes, I think it will be another Focus - ZX5 next time. That may be awhile.
  • Options
    I finally found some good information, from the Ford website, on the PZEV engine design and features:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=14037

It's very impressive. Now I know why this engine in this car is so hot.

Also, I have gotten used to the ride on the ZX3 againm which I initially thought was too soft. When I went back to my Civic last week, the ride in the Civic felt harsh and nasty in comparison to the supple ride of the ZX3, the handling (steering response etc.)in the Civic not as good as the ZX3. I especially appreciate the ZX3 in Yosemite on rough roads. It doesn't knock my fillings out everytime the car hits a bump.

It's funny that people in the "know" now ignore the Focus and ZX3 in favor of imports, due to the widely reported early problems with the Focus (which I experienced first hand with 2000 and 2001 model ZX3's, one stick and one auto), and will probably overlook this important new engine and the radical improvements in quality control. This car has had fewer defects, in the first three weeks/ 1700 miles, than any of my recent cars - and I've been through quite a few cars in the past few years (thanks to insanely low new car prices and a shift in lifestyle from urban bus rider to long distance commuter and weekend trip taker).

This is my favorite car. It may be humble but its fast and efficient. Let me emphasize FAST.
  • Options
    buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    I live in MA and the Focus is available ONLY with the 2.3L PZEV engine in this state. I just priced a ZX3 on the web; the PZEV engine adds $1300.00 to the price of a Focus!!! In effect, a Focus in MA (or NY, for that matter) is $1300 MORE expensive than a Focus in any other state. And once the PZEV engine gets applied throughout the country, a Focus will be $1300 MORE expensive than it was before. Maybe the site got it wrong--only a few wks ago, the engine was only $300 more than the Zetec. That's reasonable........BUT adding $1300 to the price of an economy car is NOT my idea of "value"!!! So anyone who thinks the PZEV in the Focus is a freebie from Ford is fooling him/herself. You're PAYING for the extra performance, and paying dearly........the ironic thing is, the PZEV is cheaper to build than the Zetec. Furthermore, the 2.3L is going to be added to many Ford cars--it's already in the Mazda6. You'd think economies of scale would alleviate the price somewhat. Wrong answer...........IMO, the PZEV Focus is just Ford's way of lowering its overall vehicle emissions so it can sell more huge trucks. Fine by me, but why charge $1300 for it??? I was formerly very excited about this engine--but it ain't worth an extra $1300 for 18 hp or so--not a chance. If I want to buy an overpriced-for-the-features Focus, I'd get an SVT!!
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I think that is wrong information. If you do a search through the Ford web site for dealers in NY they have the 2.3 available and you can look at the stickers and it does not appear to be a $1300 option. I have seen elsewhere that it is a $130 charge - which seems reasonable.
  • Options
    biker16biker16 Member Posts: 26
    PIC of PZEV oil filter enclosed

http://home.att.net/~biker16/PZEV4.jpg

This is a global engine In europe they use a cartridge, over here they can use a can.

pic of European version

http://home.att.net/%7Ebiker16/Mvnr12o3.jpg
  • Options
    What is it over here - a drop in element, or a traditional spin on cartridge? Do I have to crawl under my car to find out for sure?
  • Options
    I think the info must be wrong as well. But I emailed the website and they said that was the info they got from Ford--in other words, it's correct.......but it's so darned illogical. Heck, it's a great 4cyl, but it's STILL only a four. The PZEV is a huge step up from the Zetec, but not $1300 worth. Even 4cyl cars with 6cyl options don't charge $1300 for the six upgrade. $850 maybe, $1200 tops, but then again, you're getting 2 more cylinders.
  • Options
    Search some California Ford websites, you will see there is no premium for the PZEV's here. My ZX3 was $13,425 with PZEV (stick, no air) and I bought it on an advertised special for $8895, including both the dealer discount and the current rebate.

The market won't bear a $1,300 premium for this engine. Something is wrong with the information you are getting. Just check other dealers. Maybe the dealer whose website you checked is including a "dealer markup" in its web prices.
  • Options
    What Web site?
  • Options
    You can go to the Ford Direct website, punch in a typical zip code for San Francisco, such as 94104, or for Los Angeles, 91602, or go to a Bay Area dealer, like S%C Ford at www.scford.com. Any of these options will get you to some "stickers" for typical Focus configurations.

Edmunds has not updated to include pricing for the PZEV variation yet, but if you go to their New Cars, Ford, Focus, stats information, and type in the zip codes above, they usually pop up a dealer referral page, which gives you another way to navigate to a dealer web page.

Finally, use Yahoo or BigBook or a similar telephone directory service to search the "yellow pages" for Ford Dealers, then Google their names for their web pages.

Caveat: some dealer websites are useless, some give you live inventory with Manufacturer Sticker replicas. Your mileage may vary!

I saw my first billboard for the PZEV while driving home - on 880 North, right before 238 - it used to have the 2003 Expedition, now it has a Focus on it with New! Improved! 145 Horsepower & Green Too! Or something like that (together with the usual "buy more fordddds" subliminal message I am sure they bury in there).
  • Options
    Zip codes for areas with the 2.3L standard and those without the 2.3L standard
    both show the same price, and both show the 2.0L as the standard motor on the forddirect.com Web site. Am I missing something?

Both 13,310 for a ZX3 standard without options, still not sure where the $1300 is being added in to the price.

-B
  • Options
    baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    S&C Ford in zip code 94114 has a black ZX5 Premium, with the 2.3L PZEV, auto tranny, and ABS for $18,545. The same vehicle (in the same zip code and in my Pittsburgh zip code as well) with the 2.0L Zetec comes out to $18,430. That's a difference of $115. Quite a bargain if you ask me.

The only problem I have is that the 2.3 won't be offered in PA until MY2004. By that time my partner discount may no longer be valid.

What to do, what to do? ;)
  • Options
    I don't think Edmunds allows me to mention the name of the website. Fair enough. I'll just say it's the biggest site that sells cars on the web. It's not a dealer site--it's an independent website. Sells all brands....once again, I find it hard to believe that Ford would charge $1300 for the PZEV engine. It must be an error.
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    $18545 for a non-SVT Focus? Wow. That's steep. Heck, that's steep for an SVT Focus.
  • Options
    maynard7maynard7 Member Posts: 16
    After reading that the Focus has a cabin air filter in European models, I found an article that showed how to insert the filter in U.S. models. There's just a useless plastic grate there now. I installed the cabin air filter yesterday. In a way I wish I hadn't done it because it opened up a can of worms. I followed the instructions from this site and another to insert the filter. The problem is that there are two sets of clips & pins that keep the cowl snug against the windshield and one of the pins broke (despite my being very careful & gentle during the entire process). Now the Ford dealer tells me that they don't sell those clips or pins separately; I need to buy a new passenger side cowl for $60. I have no intention of doing that, of course. Can someone give me an idea of where I can get the little parts that shouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars?

Having the filter in place really does work, because now I can't see any dust floating around in the car when sunlight streams through the windows.... the difference is impressive.

If you decide to go through with this yourself, here is what I learned: if you do it yourself, have a second person hold down (with his/her hands) over top of the two little "circles" on the cowl. Those circles show you where the pins/clips are located. Having them hold down firmly while you lift up on the inner lip (gently) will probably keep them from breaking off or becoming dislodged. If you have the dealer do it, physically show the service advisor that the cowl is firmly attached when you drop off the car and tell him/her that you want it back the same way. Otherwise, they may tell you that the car was that way when you brought it in.

It's really not that noticeable when the pins/clips are missing, but I would rather have them there in the interest of keeping everything the way it came from the factory. It would probably keep more water from going between the windshield & cowl, especially while the car isn't moving. Under the cowl is a "channel" or "water collector" that routes water away from the filter. My car did not come with any type of sealant or caulking in this area, although other posts mention this.

Good luck... just be careful. And please let me know of any source where I can buy those little hardware pieces.... thanks!
  • Options
    I priced the PZEV engine for NY. Like MA, it's a 1300 dollar option. It's nutz. It basically means that a Focus in NY, CA, and MA is 1300 dollars more expensive than in any other state.
  • Options
    mike_of_massmike_of_mass Member Posts: 4
    Buggywhip,

I also live in mass and bought a PZEV ZX3 premium for 11.2K (no other options). The difference in price was around $105 then (about 3 weeks ago). This was confirmed at carsdirect.com at the time, but today when I went to carsdirect.com the difference was indeed $1303! I suspect this is due in part to demand since the car is quicker and quieter, but also to encourage sales of the many 2.0 left on mass lots (Madden had many 2.0 ZX3s for example but zero 2.3 ones). BTW I get the same $1303 if I enter a New York or CA zipcode at carsdirect. If I were shopping now I would try to drive a hard bargain, based on this information, after all the cost of inventory older than 3 weeks should be ~1200 less. Good luck.
  • Options
    There are a couple of inventory searchs available for the Ford website, one that is available from the 'Dealerships' drop-down at the top of the homepage and one you are led to after you use the "build your ford" option. I have found the first option very accurate and the second poor. BTW, if you have ad-blocking software on the search may not work, so is best to disable it during search.

If you are in one of the green states (CA,MA,NY) this is good way to find the newer PZEV cars in stock that do not carry the $1300 (formally $105) premium Ford has recently added for the PZEV.
  • Options
    Well, mike, I compliment you on your tremendous deal on a PZEV Focus. Heck, I'd go on that site all the time and price out the Focus; I'd be amazed at how cheap they were, esp. with the $3k rebate........I wouldn't mind the $1300 premium IF the 2.0L were still being offered. Then i'd have a choice. But in MA, the PZEV is the ONLY engine offered now. It's a huge price increase and Ford should be ashamed. Ford should be encouraging this green engine by charging minimally for it.
  • Options
    Buggywhip, there are many 2.0l foci in mass lots, in fact most of the inventory is still 2.0l. If you read post 2484 you will find a way to get an accurate inventory of dealers all over the state. Plus, as far as I can tell all the 2.3 pzev inventory is still at the lower price( zx3 premium 110a package is ~14890 sticker including destination, invoice is around 14.1). Figure around edmunds invoice price for the 2.0l + $100-200 as a fair price for in stock PZEV. I suspect this is true in CA and NY as well. I think the +1300 only applies to new orders. I used this method to shop for my car and found both the listed price and stock status to be very accurate at every dealer I tried.
  • Options
    New PZEVs have not recently become more expensive here, but cheaper, it seems.

I bought a ZX5 PZEV in upstate NY about three weeks ago. At that time I noticed that the invoice price for the PZEV was about $100 above the invoice I calculated using Consumer Reports' pricing information (availalbe at their web site for $12.00) I figured this into my bargaining price when I bought the car (ZX5 comfort, 5-speed, +ABS). I paid $13,200 for the car which according to my figures meant a 6% (fair) profit for the dealer. Last week, however, I noted the very low advertised prices of a high-volume dealer (Simmon-Rockwell, Hornell, NY) that sell their cars for a fixed price that reflects all rebates as well as dealer incentives, holdbacks, etc. These prices are really low and must reflect a new increased dealer holdback. These prices were in effect on May 6. I can't say whether they've changed since.

I copied these figures from their web page, a/5 = 5-speed, first price is MSRP, second price is their retail price.

2003  Focus ZX3 3dr. cpe.black, pwind, cruise, tilt, moonroof, cd, plocks, a/5 $16,405, $11,429

2003  Focus ZTS 4dr. black, 2.3pzev, pwind, centennial pkg, leather, spoiler, fog lamps, cruise, cd a/5  $17,195, $12,166

2003  Focus ZX5 4dr. Hatchback, gray, 6cd, pwind, plocks, fog lamps, a/5, $17,330, $12,325

2003  Focus ZX5 4dr. Hatchback, grabber green, 6cd, pwind, plocks, fog lamps, a/5, $17,330, $12,320

2003  Focus ZX5 Hatchback, twilight blue, 2.3pzev, roof, abs, 16"alloy rims, pwind, cd, pmirrors, fog lamps
    a/5, $17,705, $12,620

2003  Focus ZX5 Hatchback, silver, 2.3pzev, roof, abs, 16"alloy rims, pwind, cd, pmirrors, fog lamps, a/5, $17,705,$12,620

I was kind of bummed to learn that I could have had my exact car plus a moonroof for $580 less than I paid for mine without a moonroof. Ah well. So it goes. These prices represent exceptional bargains, IMHO. I am loving my new ZX5 PZEV, btw. Refined power, great handling, excellent fit and finish and no problems have surfaced in my first 1500 miles.
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot the disclaimer: I do not work for nor am I affiliated in any way with Simmons-Rockwell Ford. (However, they are free to thank me if they wish for the free advertising.)

I also forgot to mention that the car I bought had 16" alloys as well as ABS as options in addition to what you get with the "Comfort" package on the ZX5.

The advertised prices above are below the wholesale value of the cars using Consumer Reports' figures as of early last week. Go figure.
  • Options
    Well, regardless of whether the 2.0L is still available (for a while) in MA, it would not be my engine of choice. I'd get the PZEV. Which is $1300 more than the 2.0, at least on that auto buying website. I'm quite disappointed.
  • Options
    in message 2488 buggywhip said...

"I'd get the PZEV. Which is $1300 more than the 2.0, at least on that auto buying website. I'm quite disappointed"

But the PZEVs in stock at mass dealers only carry around a $100-125 premium, and I looked at many of them.
  • Options
    I have had my zx3 pzev now for 2 weeks..i got it for the same price as the ztec engine plus Ford has 2500 cash back...amazing deal for the best small car on the planet...
  • Options
    hauschildhauschild Member Posts: 62
    Ford Focus ZX3...Another Job 1 success.

I'm really beginning to see the ZX3's here in the Chicagoland area. I think people are realizing how superior this car is to its competition.

22,000 and running like a charm.
  • Options
    revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    So does it seem like the quality issues on the first few years have been ironed out, or are glitches still prevalent?
  • Options
    Took a test drive of a new ZX5 the the 2.3L and a manual tranny. Certainly has some power to it, not bad for the base engine next year!

Nice little car.

-B
  • Options
    zx3for_mezx3for_me Member Posts: 26
    Picked up my Sangria Red 2003 Power Premium 5spd yesterday from AutoFair in Manchester NH. It was a demo with 4500 miles on it. I thought I got a pretty good deal although looking at some of the numbers here I'm not to sure...but I'm happy anyways.

Sticker on car was $16575. I paid $11200(I think) lol you'd think I'd know. There were some other rebates and discounts involved including $676 off for the mileage and an additional $750 rebate for me being in the Air Force Reserve. I got the extended warranty which was $525 which extends the bumper to bumper to 5/100k. Usually I'll skip the extended warranty but since I put almost 100 miles a day on the car I though it was worth it. Heck my military rebate pretty much took care of it anyways.

Some observations so far..the car is fun as hell to drive! Zips around nicely and takes corners great..looks very cool and lots of space. I love the driving position. Addtional options were Power Moonroof and ABS.

I am coming from a 2000 Maxima so there are some things that aren't, lets say quite as "refined" as the Max. It is noiser for sure but not so much that it is an issue. Heck the Nissan 3.0VQ is one of the best engines ever made so not really a fair comparison. Some of the interior features seem really cheaply made but once again no problem. Just about any car in this price range is going to have these sort of issues.

I didn't get the PZEV. Living about 10 minutes from the MA border I probably could have checked them out but the Zertec is fine with me.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase because A)My monthly gas bill should go down quite a bit B) My car insurance already has dropped C) I'm finally driving a stick again! D) I got 3.69% financing and cut almost 100 dollars off of what I was paying for the Maxima.

One thing I was hoping someone could answer for me.....Underneath the car below the engine I noticed that it was wide ope....no plastic cover or anything..everything appears to be exposed to any debris, deep snow etc. My Maxima and some other cars I checked out in parking lot have a black plastic shield that seems to cover some of the lower half of the engine.

I

Is this right for the ZX3 to have nothing there?

Can't wait to get out and go for a ride :)