Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    If you are talking about only the airbox, & plastic stufF going to the TB, then no. There are however sensors on the upper intake. The one where the coil packs are. There is some sort of hose attached to the plastic intake hose, but I think it's just a air hole for the engine. It's not a sensor or anything like that.
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    What is that -- the part after the TB on top of the engine?
  • Options
    Yes it's the black hard plastic piece that has has the 3.5L emblem on it on top of the engine.
  • Options
    silverbeesilverbee Member Posts: 22
    I have them on mine and I know the installer had a tough time getting them.What do youhave up front?I've been running the last couple of weeks with just the collector muffler and the tips.sounds great but out on the freeway they are really loud.I am going to have to put a muffler on this weekend. The installer was a young guy and everybody that was in there liked the sound but me idling is ok but too noisy for me guess 'm getting oldSo if any of you young guys want a good and loud sound try that for awhile.He let me try it out yhat way and if i didn't like it he would put a muffler on.Needless to say my wife was not impressed.speaking of wives or the other spieces what is the consenus out there do the ladies like the car?Minedoesn't at all she says it must be a guy thing.Catch ya later
  • Options
    intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I can understand your concern. The one rating that the Yokohama TR was inferior to when compared to Michelin HR was temperature. Yokohama was rated "B" and Michelin "A".

I guess I figured this was more of a high speed factor. As I am not a high speed driver (85-90 tops -- except for one 110 experiment) -- I didn't consider the temperature rating to be a serious factor and I don't expect it to become a problem for me down the road. But I am certainly no expert on tires...
  • Options
    lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    My wife doesn't like my M either. She has a bad back and has to sit with the seat back in the vertical position and with a special pillow behind her. This makes her sitting position so upright and so far forward that her head almost bumps the windshield. She only rides in my car when she absolutely has to, such as today, when her Aerostar is in the shop.
    Oh well, the good news is that when I drive my M, I seldom have to listen to her driving "advice".

Lynn
  • Options
    I mentioned on Monday that a bicycle rack with 2 bikes on it fell onto my M over the weekend.
    Well, I got a quote from the 5* body shop yesterday......$1517.00!! They have to replace the right front fender, take out 2 dents/gouges in the right front door, and they say that they have to sand and re-clearcoat the right back door and the hood to blend the paint so that it will look as it should. Here's hoping that they know what they're talking about. I have heard that metallic silver is difficult to match. This is the first time my M has been damaged....and it had to happen right in my own garage!!!
    Lynn
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    With all this renewed talk of dual exhausts I thought I'd post a link to my duals page. It includes a diagram of the system I installed, including the model numbers of the collectors and mufflers.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1620463&a=12630411&f=0

Here's what Big Red's butt looks like with the dualies, spoiler, and removed lettering.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1620463&a=13138309&p=49828451&Sequence=0&res=high

• Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Ottowkr--At the dealer today I picked up the DC fall magazine and it had a photo of the Special in Silver and gray metallic ground effects. I did not see any emblem that said "Special" anywhere. Have they hidden it in the trunk? They also had what is either the Crossfire or Atlantic at the bottom of the middle page of the book. I think it must be the Atlantic cause my checkbook started to hum "downpayment" as I read the page. It really looked awesome from the front, but no name was attributed to it, so I am betting it is the Atlantic. My M goes in for a racing stripe on Friday. Am going with stuff that changes from gold to [either] red or blue depending on angle of view. Won't make a final decision til Thursday when I drop her off. Will post pics thru SDMike if it comes out good. Will cut wrists if it doesn't.
  • Options
    Ottowkr--At the dealer today I picked up the DC fall magazine and it had a photo of the Special in Silver and gray metallic ground effects. I did not see any emblem that said "Special" anywhere. Have they hidden it in the trunk? They also had what is either the Crossfire or Atlantic at the bottom of the middle page of the book. I think it must be the Atlantic cause my checkbook started to hum "downpayment" as I read the page. It really looked awesome from the front, but no name was attributed to it, so I am betting it is the Atlantic. My M goes in for a racing stripe on Friday. Am going with stuff that changes from gold to [either] red or blue depending on angle of view. Won't make a final decision til Thursday when I drop her off. Will post pics thru SDMike if it comes out good. Will cut wrists if it doesn't.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Just curious: at what air pressure do you run the Yokos---I like mine at about 34 pounds cold---I am curious as to how they will perform on the M in the snow---last winter, my M with the Goodyears I had the best traction in the of any car I have owned--I had the Yokos on my Mark VIII but couldnt drive them in the snow due to rear wheel drive-- the front drive should make a big difference

I loved my Yokos on the Mark--they were very quiet and handled well--
  • Options
    AV--Donie is a great artist, but you have to have some patience in getting the drawing from him. He has some heavy cartooning deadlines and so it takes him a while to answer the mail and do the work. Don't fret if it takes a while for him to get back to you.
  • Options
    grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    In downtown Phoenix today I saw two 300Ms that must have been from the proving grounds. I often see strange cars with Michigan manufacturers plates on them there, always following the same route.

I pulled next to one and signalled the passenger (who was reading off some sort of checklist) but he wouldn't roll down the window. Both cars were white, with the side skirts which were also white. No front or rear extras, but the front fenders were quite flared. I didn't see the front of either car, but got a good look at the back. Strange looking dual exhaust; both sides had dual tips coming out of mufflers that clearly weren't production -- they were almost cube shaped. The exhaust was very low, the valence was only cut on the left side and both pairs of tips were completely below the valence.

They had some sort of big plastic tank in the back seat, a pretty large trailer hitch, and some contraptions hanging off the right side windows.
    Neither car looked lowered, and the wheels were definitely not 18's.

Clearly these weren't Specials, but I don't quite know what to make of them. I'll be on the lookout for them again, but I rarely see these "test" vehicles more than once.

Igor
  • Options
    intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I had the tires installed only a week and a half ago. One of my first comments was that they seemed a little harsh over bumps, so I thought the air pressure might be high. I was going to check it last weekend but then I didn't notice the bump problem so I didn't check it...maybe this weekend...

It feels like 34/35 to me, but I'll let you know when I check it.
  • Options
    phases78phases78 Member Posts: 471
    got me a new weapon at work yesterday! assualt rifle/grenade launcher. was blowin up a dumpster today at the range MWAHAHAHAHA!

(sorry, off the topic)
  • Options
    valhsvalhs Member Posts: 63
    As most of you know I have an LHS. While our cars are similar they are certainly not the same. My car originally came with the Goodyear LS tires. Ride was adequate but handling was non existent. My mistake was to go completely to the other extreme. I purchased a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's, 245/25/ZR17's. While the ride was slightly rougher the handling is incredible. I can now throw my luxo-cruiser onto the decreasing radius off ramp at highway speed and have yet to hear the first complaint from the F-1's. But here's the rub.....the 245 width requires a 7.5" rim, our Razor Stars are 7", not a good mix. The tires have a tendency to follow the road, especially rough roads which makes for a busy steering wheel. After reading the recent posts here I leaning toward the Yoko's or Dunlop S2's, which are available in 235/55HR17 and will fit properly.
  • Options
    jmcmanusjmcmanus Member Posts: 11
    I see these Dunlops are top rated by Tirerack. My OEM Michelins are wearing out at 28,000 miles and I may need a replace this winter. Anyone have any experience with the Dunlops. My 300M is a 1999 with PHP.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Shame on you, you should keep a digital camera in your car, with at least 32Meg card, to take plenty of pictures. Or at least put a transponder on one of them so that we can locate them later.
  • Options
  • Options
    its 40 minuets away. remember to start with a letter.
  • Options
    ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Ok has anyone heard of Anti Foam ? Its a Mopar additive that you put in your transmission fluid that supposedly makes your shifts much better and lessens the loss of power during shifting... Ive been reading a little about it on the Intrepid boards and was wondering if anyone here has tried it ? Im going to have my fluid changed soon and was wondering if I should add it in ? FYI its Mopar Part Number 4549637.

Ok and now for the Speed Limiter, it has to go. I was quite embarrased today while racing a Lincoln LS. I was pulling away from him (not realizing how fast we were going) when it kicked in :(:(:(

Anyone hear of anything besides the ASE chip that removes it ? I head about something from Kenne Bell ... dont know if it removes the limiter though...
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I remember seeing pictures a month or two ago in some car magazine or somewhere on the 'net

Those pictures were very similar to what you just described - exhaust pipes sticking out lower than the valence. Actually my impression was that the whole rear was slapped on too high for the chassis.

I think those were supposed to be the 300N.

I will try to remember where I saw them.
  • Options
    splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    Hi all - first time poster here since I just found the boards, but a definite 300M Enthusiast :) I have an 01 300M with the 17" chrome wheels. My question is about them - what's the best thing to use to clean them? Soap/water doesn't do the job real well... Suggestions?

Also interested in any info on the anti-foam that ajpiii talked about - sounds interesting.
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    scotian- only the 02 model has a air temp sensor in the intake rubber hose close to the TB

bigmike5 -the "Special" uses the same emblem as the regular 300 but with the word "Special" on it so unless you look very close a picture would not show this. Also when you open the front doors the lower sill cladding has a metal plate with "Special" on it.

grunschev -what you saw was a mule. They take production bodies in use now and hide future engines ,trans under them to fool the public. As they are testing the mechanics off the vehicle they really dont care what body it has. So what you saw was a rear drive ,most likely V8 powered LX mule. I once saw the mules for the prowler , they used the prowler frame and powertrain but bodies from the Jeep Wrangler were used . Was the weirdest thing you ever saw.
  • Options
    I use a combination of things. First, I polished the wheels along with the rest of my car with Zaino products (www.zainobros.com), including the Z1 base, and Z2 or Z5 polish. Now I usually just clean them with Meguiars "Hot Rims" wheel cleaner and then polish with Zaino Z6 enhancer or just with a damp towel. The Meguiars cleans the brake dust and other stuff off real well but it leaves a whiteish film after rinsing. The damp towel or the Z6 remove the film and leave a nice shine. Here is a picture:

Big Red's Wheel

• Options
    Anyone here sign up to be a Zaino distributor? I have to order some more stuff, and I'd do business with someone here if they were a distributor. Otherwise it's time to call Sal.
  • Options
    Ric - you have the part number on that DRL module again? Also, where did you get it?
  • Options
    I was contacted by a market research firm representing what they call a "major automotive manufacturer" to participate in an event on saturday morning here in San Diego to review and evaluate some "prototype automobiles and features" for a small amount of money. Hell, I would do it for free. Sounds like I might be crawling around in some concepts. They have indicated that I may have to sign a non-disclosure agreement, but if I don't I'll let you know what it was all about. :)

The contact letter had some information on me, like that I have a 300M. I wonder if this is something that DC is doing. Hmmmm.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. The car in the magazine is the Chronos, which was one of those on the top of the link. The gigantic grill is the tip-off. Man, would I like to see that one in production. Since I am not a rag top guy this coupe would be slick. With a V10 and 350horses--holy cow. Bring it on. Dieter are you out there?
  • Options
    Again what's this lie about silver you are hearing!

It's all lies I tell you! :)

Matches fine, don't worry! As long as they use the correct paint code, which is fixed to the inside door jam you won't have a problem.
  • Options
    I have used dunlops. I only used the SP 9000's though. I had a set in 245-45ZR17's, & now am using a set of 245-45ZR18's. They are great tires. Betters the Michelins in every way. The wet performance is the best. They are however directional tires, so you can only rotate front to back on the same side & are not all season rated. The Michelin XGT Z4's have the advantage there. There is a problem though. Dunlops are VERY picky about the rim width. the 17's I had were recommended for an 8" wide rim. The stock rims are 7" wide I had alot of problems with vibration, & pulling. It wasn't the car, because I put on a set of stock tires, & rims, & the car was "fixed" If you can find them in the stock size go for it. I also have my stock 17's but because it's the stock size, I have Michelins on them now. The 18" Dunlops I have now are fine. I'm using 18X8 rims. Not a problem with them.
  • Options
    illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    My experience with Dunlop tires was all bad. Had a set of four D60A2s on my '94 Vision TSI, and a total of 6 replacements were installed under warranty due to some of the problems you guys have experienced with Goodyears (low speed steering wheel oscillation, pulling). They were also very noisy.
  • Options
    my e-mail address is afyodoro@yahoo.com
  • Options
    some time ago, some people from the Grand Prix club went to an event where the next Grand Prix was shown. They snuk in a camera and took pictures of the image projected on the screen. Then they posted a couple of those pics on the GP forum. Someone came very quickly after them and made them take the pictures off. I also heard that some legal action would be taken against them.

Only makes me wonder why car manufacturers invite a lot of people intoa room and tell them a secret and then get all POed when someone leaks info.
  • Options
    They don't make those tires anymore do they?
  • Options
    cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    I had the D60A2's as well on a '95 Maxima. The only problem I experienced was that they were noisy even on smooth roads. Although if you notice in the latest car mags that Dunlop has an all new version of that tire that's a 'true' all-season performance tire (if you need all-season like me), it appears to be getting good reviews already. Might be worth checking them out since they are a lot cheaper than Michelins.
  • Options
    I just looked in my latest C&D mag, the new name of the tire is SP Sport A2. So the name changed a little. They look sweet though.
  • Options
    I'm still quite happy with the set of Goodrich GForce TA KDW tires I recently put on my M. They are 245/45ZR17's and are mounted on Konig Tantrum 17 X 8 rims. These tires are much quieter and smoother riding than the "Badyears", they provide fantastic cornering and braking grip on both dry and wet roads, and are much cheaper that the Michelin XGT's (which I priced and considered before buying the Goodrich's.
    By the way, the KDW in the tires' nomenclature means that they are rated for dry or wet roads. They also offer a KD version, which is strictly a dry road tire, and a KDWS, which is rated for use on dry roads, wet roads, or snow. Being from Texas, I'm not too worried about traction on snow covered roads.
    These are also a directional tread design, so rotation is only front to rear.
    I also received from Goodrich a Gtech Pro device, which they were offering with the purchase of 4 high performance tires. So far, I've only checked my 0-60 time with it. Over 5 runs, I averaged 7.64 seconds from 0-60. I was not using Autostick and my car's engine and exhaust are completely stock. I actually made these runs on my commute to and from work, starting from stoplights.
    Lynn
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Fuzzy-I thought someone was telling stories about me until I read the post. ;>)

Lflowers-Sorry to hear about your garage accident. With a teenage driver, my garage and the vehicle she drives are in grave danger Good luck with the paint job.

Silver
  • Options
    I liked the input on these tires. I've seen advertisements for them but never knew anyone that had them. I'll definitely consider them when it comes time to replace the Mich XGT's........
  • Options
    jj300mjj300m Member Posts: 24
    From TSB #22-001-01 of Feb. 2001 and the owner's manual, here is what NOT to use on chrome wheels:

DO NOT USE:

Any cleaner that contains an acid (this will immediately react with and discolor the chromium surface).

Any oven cleaner.

Any abrasive metal cleaner.

Chrome polish unless it is buffed off immediately after application.

Any abrasive cleaning pad or brush.

A car wash that has carbide tipped wheel-cleaning brushes.

Personally, I use just a car wash shampoo and a wash mitt, followed every month or so with a coat of a polymer sealant (like Zaino, Meguiars, even Nu-Finish) for protection, which will last longer and protect the wheels much more than a wax. Also, be careful of tire cleaners, as they can sometimes stain this delicate chrome finish.
  • Options
    grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    I have the Dunlop SP9000's. They are very good in the dry and fantastic in the wet. They probably suck in the snow, but that's just a guess. I'm on my second set, though, as these tires are quite soft. I was told to expect only about 20k miles from a set. I went 25k, but YMMV.

As mentioned with directional tires, they can only be rotated front/back and not side to side. But that's not entirely true... last month I rotated them side to side, it just required they be remounted on the wheels. Sure, it hurt to pay $60 for a rotation, but I figured since the tires cost $225 each, what the heck.

Igor
    ps to 300Michael: Sorry, I don't even *own* a digital camera! I'm an old fashioned film guy.
  • Options
    The invitation says to leave cell phones, cameras, etc. at home. Tempting though. :)
  • Options
    splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    for the wheel care advice, I'll check out Zainos or Meguiars...
  • Options
    can you draw?
  • Options
    lol! I can sure describe what I see! I sure hope this isn't like a timeshare marketing ploy, when they bring you in under the guise of something else and try to sell you something.

I have a digital camera and some big pockets, but with my luck I'll forget to turn the flash off. :)
  • Options
    I hope it's not DC looking for my opinion on something like the Atlantic or Crossfire. The Atlantic looks like the Bat Mobile, and I think the Crossfire is butt ugly...except for maybe the wheels. Just MHO
  • Options
    Atlantic is an old concept. I doubt they will try to produce it now.

Crossfire, I think, is nice looking.
  • Options
    Personally, I like this one:

http://www.chrysler.com/experience/concept/feature9.html

It's described as having a supercharged 225 HP engine in this little sucker. Completely impractical for me for the next 18 years, but I like the looks of it. For other concepts just click on the little images at the top of the page. That CHRONOS is a tank!