Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• chinvarchinvar Member Posts: 10
    Hi,
    I am also intrested in buying highlander,Can U pl pass on your dealer Name and some other car deal details. So that I can also finish the deal.I also stay in MA area.
    Hi Seospider,
    I am intrested in buying in Highlander. Can U pl pass on the the agent name and a copy of sales receipt...which will help me to close the deal for the same price.

Thanks in Advance.

Divya
  • seospiderseospider Member Posts: 14
    Divya,

This forum says that we can not give out names of salespeople but I did buy it at Boch Toyota in Norwood, MA.

It was a base 4x4 Highlander V6 in Magnetic Gray Metallic with Ash interior. The options were Value Package #2, 8 way power seat, cold weather package and 3rd row mats.

Sticker was appx. 31,100
    Settled on 27,000 plus TT&L for an out the door cost of about 29,100.

They still have 5 or so base Highlanders left but most of the remaining ones have moonroofs which will add another 800 or 900 bucks. They also have Sport and Limiteds but wasn't looking at those. Boch is the largest dealer in New England so I think you can get a good deal there, just have to negotiate and be prepared to walk away if you don't get the price you are looking for. Odds are they will call you back.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.
    Seospider,

I called the Bosch Toyota in Norwood today and asked for a V6 engine and AWD Base Toyota highlander for 27K but they are not ready to give it less 27,900.
    I am also looking at the base model as yours...

Is there any way we can get for the same deal ???
    Chinvar,

Did the model you discussed have the moonroof? Because ours does not. You might have to go in and then they will feel they are more likely to get the sale. But I might try and do it by Monday because they are trying to up their August numbers.
  • johnman1johnman1 Member Posts: 8
    Highlander 4w limited, package #8, moonroof, hitch, xm tuner,crossbars, side moldings, $38753. I think this price is high for a 2009 but it was the best price from 5 dealers. Not available till mid-September. No rebates or low apr available. Terrible shopping experience past week. Many sales people including general sales managers did not even return my calls, e-mails, voice mails. Could have had a Pilot Touring with nav, running boiards, crossbars 2010 for $39,100. but not available till Nov. !
    Seospider,

The one which I discussed doesn't have a moon roof. this is the one which I am talking about.
    http://www.boch.com/BOCHHTML/BochToyota/Pages/VehicleDetails.aspx?StoreID=2&sear- chType=new&stocknumber=28964
    That is essentially the same car we bought except in silver. I guess the only thing I can think of, as I said before, is maybe they would be willing to negotiate more in person. Let me know how it works out.
    I am planning to go tomorrow and let's see how it works??Do u mind if I mention your name and the price which u got for??? When did u purchase your vehicle??
    I think this people are more stuborn today..

Thanks in Advance
    Hi Seospider,
    I bought the Toyota Highlander V6 4X4 in Silver colour for 27,100.Car has one additional feature ie it as a top crossbars.

Thanks for all your guidance.
    Chinvar,

Congratulations and hope the negotiating process was not too painful. Boch can have good deals but their reputation regarding the customer experience during the buying process is rough.

I'm picking the car up on Tuesday or Wednesday and can't wait. Hope you enjoy your purchase.
    Seospider,

I agree with you.... the customer experience during the buying process is very bad...
    I finalized the complete deal over the phone, I just went to sighn the papers and they made me to wait like 3hrs just to meet the finance guy and totally it took me about 5 hrs...
    Did the Bosch offered any free offer like oil change or servicing coupons???
    I'm also picking up the car on Monday or Tuesday ..
    no additional coupons or offers unfortunately.
  • rally_pointrally_point Member Posts: 6
    Why buy one for that much unless you have to have it? Supply is limited right now, it's got nowhere to go but up. What has amazed me is that even since the CFC program has ended, at least up here in the DC area, Highlander Limited are still selling quickly. I have to believe that in the next six weeks or so, that's gonna change. And John, I'm looking for the exact same vehicle. Wish I would have pulled the trigger in mid July!!
    I sold my Sienna XLE privately last Sunday and needed to replace it a.s.a.p. so I could not wait. I located the vehicle in classic silver metallic with package #8. There were two available by 9/22 both without the accessories I added with a m.s.r.p. well over 39,000. Phone price 37,500 OTD. When I added the xm radio, hitch, crossbars and side moldings, dealer would not throw anything in and charged m.s.r.p. not invoice on them. Put my name on it with deposit. Gve me 10 minutes to call the wife. Sure in six weeks if 2010's are out, 2009's will be priced better. Should have done this in April. Good luck waiting.
    Seospider,
    Have u picked up your car yet?? I was promised to pick up my car on monday or tuesday and today is already wednesday...no phone calls from the bosch...if we call it will just go to the message box...I am fed up with this dealer..
  • fatcat60fatcat60 Member Posts: 5
    Sorry you're having that issue, upontheridge. I haven't had any whines that I can hear. Initially, I had a "stutter" at 1700 rpm at about 50 mph (felt like I was going over a rumble strip!), but that seems to have dissipated now that I have 1000 miles on it. Gee, and it's only 2.5 weeks old! I got mine right "off the boat" with only 5 miles on the odometer.

I sure love this vehicle... I hope to enjoy it for another 19 years, as I did my 4Runner (the clunker I traded in for this baby!)
    Chinvar,

I'm getting the runaround as well. I was told Tuesday or Wednesday. I have my salesman's cell phone and spoke with him on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday. He said he is embarassed but they are "really backed up because of cash for clunkers" He said he doesn't get paid until the car is registered and is as motivated to make it happen as I am but it just is slow. I am particularly anxious to pick it up because I just sold my wife's car and now we are down to one car and I was expecting to have the car by today. Ugh!

They have all our money now and it seems management is not so motivated to get this done.

I'll let you know when I hear better news.
  • ppforlifeppforlife Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for the late replay,

No, they made a mistake and gave us the 4cyl. So we had to pay another 1500 for the V6 I would not recommend them. They were very unprofessional. The salesman said he didn't think they made a 4cyl in that model (paper work said v6, but the vin # was for the 4cy.. a few days after we brought the car, the steering wheel got tight. We brought it back and was told that it would take a FEW HOURS to services it(on a brand new car). And that we would have to bring it back the next day in the A.M. the services department was very rude. I would not recommend them.
    Seospider,
    The car we bought is already with the dealer..I don't understand why they need 5 days to do the registration process???I am really fed up with this dealer..they won't pick up the calls ..very rude people...
    Is there a way I can cancel this deal???Since I sold my old car..I am stuck with no car and these people are taking so much of time??
    Chinvar,

My salesperson told me to call John Murray (or Murphy, I don't remember). He told me this afternoon that I could pick my car up tomorrow morning first thing. Give him a try, he was very helpful.

Of course I don't have the car yet but am counting on it being ready tomorrow morning.
  • perrysdadperrysdad Member Posts: 12
    I just ended a painful session attempting to lease this car in Plano, TX. This Limited came with the extra value package #8, car mats, body side moulding, vehicle shield package and a destination charge of $855. MSRP - $38,028. Edmunds shows invoice amount for this car with $800 destination charge as $33,918 ($29,762 + 2,952 + 180 + 125 + 99 + 800). I offered $34,250 and they countered with (purchase price negotiations started after lease negotiations) $36,950. I shared all my Internet-obtained information with the sales manager and increased my offer to $34,800, and he countered with a best and last offer of $$36,900. The best offers I could get for a lease were the following based, according to the sales manager, on a residual of $13,417 and money factor of 0.00285 (6.84%): 48 months - 598/month, 12K miles, 2,500 "down pymt" plus pre-pmt of last month's rent and pmt of license and registration fees; 60 months - 560/month, 12K miles, 2,500 "down payment" plus pre-pmt of last month's rent and pmt of license and reg fees). Using the sales manager's residual and money factor amounts, I calculated and offered to lease this car as follows:

33,070 - 13,417 = 19,653 divided by 48 = $409.44
    33,070 + 13,417 = 46,487 times 0.00285 = $132.49
    409.44 + 132.49 = 541.93 times 6.25% (sales tax in TX) = $33.87
    Monthly pmt = $575.80, no "down payment" but pre-pmt of first month's rent and pmt of license and reg fees with 12K miles

I also offered $542 per month for 36 month lease with same terms as above but using residual of 47% and money factor of .0001 calculated as follows:

33,070 - 15,542 + 17,527 divided by 36 = $486.86
    33,070 + 15,542 = 46,487 times 0.0001 = $4.86
    486.86 + 4.86 = 491.72 times 6.25% = $30.73

Excuse for the foregoing terms ran the gamut for low inventory due to cash for clunkers, Toyota going low with residual amounts given the economy and prior experience with cars coming back off of lease, and a desire to make "just a little bit of profit".

Was my experience atypical of what others are experiencing or have experienced? Also, were my offers out of line and/or unrealistic? Any guidance will be much appreciated.
  • steven1357steven1357 Member Posts: 69
    You do know that the 2010 Highlanders will be out very soon.

At the very least, you could get a 2010 for the same price since the 2010 MSRP remains the same as the 2009 MSRP (unless you get a Sport which is $50 more than 2009 - but you get a shiny chrome exhaust tip).
    Yes. Which is why my visit was so frustrating. Perhaps things will change this month. I anticipate that my wife will be driving this car for at least 7 or 8 years (she currently drives a 2001 Highlander) so I am not that concerned about buying a 2009 instead of a 2010. That said, would you recommend purchasing a 2009 Highlander Limited at invoice this month or purchasing a 2010 model at MSRP when they roll out? Would leasing the car change your recommendation? Thanks.
    See my post # 3971- 38793 OTD For a 4WD Limited, etc. I don't know the sales tax on an auto in Texas- it's 3 % in N.C. but the buying experience for me was terrible also. I think if you plan on keeping the 2009 for five plus years, it makes sense to buy a 2009. Getting a 2010 might be a long wait. I ended with a somewhat high price because I need to replace a vehicle I sold. I have had little contact with the dealer since giving a deposit- hope I get it. You have done all the research as I did, but after a while it gets old talking to multiple salesmen and dealers who don't really seem to give a darn whether you buy from them. Your purchase price isn't too bad.
    Thanks. I'm getting a little bit better treatment now that cash for clunkers is over. But not yet close to invoice.
    Originally I thought that I'd start hearing more about INVOICE than MSRP this weekend. Sadly it isn't happening. In fact I just got an email from a dealer in Northern Virginia that had his "WOW" quote for a Limited HL at $500 off of MSRP. I told him that his wow price was nothing of the kind and that I'd be waiting until they were closer to Invoice. He wrote me back rather smart-alec and said "no problem, see you next year". I hope I don't have to wait that long but I'm not getting ripped off because these guys think the good times are still here!
    I got a similar "WOW" quote from one local dealership (believe it or not, their quoted prices were full MSRP), but only after I had received quotes from 2 other dealerships at approximately $1,300 and $1,500 off of MSRP. When I replied to the "WOW" dealership that they were too high and that I would not be doing business with them, I got a non-computer response that apologized for the "problem" with their response system and offered to "beat any other deal out there". I have not, however, been able to get a second quote from this dealership, although I would expect to get one later today or tomorrow. For what it's worth, one internet sales manager told me, without being asked to do so, that he showed 2010's arriving at his dealership in 51 days.
    Well I'm finally making some progress.....some. Got a call from a dealer who's willing to sell me a HL Limited with EVP#8 with the colors I want for what he says is $75 over invoice. He says that will be around 36,500. That's before the rebate. That sounds a little more than I thought invoice would be but it's much better than the 38 or 39K I was hearing last week. Interested in hearing what people think about this. The incentives expire on Tuesday. At that point I have to believe that they'll come out with new incentives, maybe some that are even better with the 2010s coming out.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    You have to remember.. Toyota doesn't residualize all of their options, so the more expensive Highlander you choose, the more the lease is, even on an MSRP adjusted basis... The dealers can't even figure the residuals... that's why each unit has it's own dollar amount residual.

Plus, if you are leasing in Texas, that is part of the Gulf States distributorship, which adds a whole lot of unresidualized costs to your vehicle. On top of that, Texas taxes the entire selling price, not the monthly payment...

Add it all up... I wouldn't lease a Toyota in Texas..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cps2698cps2698 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I live in North Central Texas (Sherman area) and have been looking for a few weeks for a Toyota Highlander 4 cylinder base model in pearl white. I would like the EVP #2, and also want to add blue connect, night mirror, leather package, auto start; no third row.

What would be a reasonable price for this? I have had some negative experiences with dealers in this area so far (Red River, Pat Lobb) giving me the run around, and telling me one thing on the phone and another when I get to the dealership. I got the Consumer reports print out so I could tell what all the options cost, etc, and took that information, as well as the Edmunds information that I had.
    These guys seem to want to tell me I will get a good deal, and then when I get there, jack up the price with add ons.

Any suggestions for dealers in the North Central texas area? Also, what could I expect to pay for the options I want?

Thank you for your help! :P
    r
  • jtp1947jtp1947 Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a 2009 HL Limited, 2 WHD, EVP#8, RSES, all weather mats (including cargo), XM radio, for $36,364, before TTT in So Cal. so I am suspect that $36.5k is $75 over invoice. Ours was $100 over invoice. Check edmunds.com for true invoice price. Good luck!
  • high_landerhigh_lander Member Posts: 5
    I finalized a deal for 09 Murano S AWD for $26500 (before rebates) with 2.9% APR. Please let me know if this is a good deal.
    My dealer told me that invoice price doesn't always tell the story and doesn't always include everything. I took that with a grain of salt of course. Found another one in Chantilly, VA that is exactly what I want but they're selling it for a shade under 38K. That's a 09 Limited, 4WD, w/EVP#8. These are the same guys that offered ZERO off the MSRP last month. They must be doing really well. I'm not paying that much though.

By the way, I just checked the incentives page on Toyota.com. For the Mid-Atlantic region they have discarded the cash back rebate for the rest of the month and are now only offering 2.9 and 3.9 financing, respective of the length of the loan. Not good for me, was hoping the cash back would go UP not go AWAY!! :(
  • ptf205ptf205 Member Posts: 8
    This forum was very helpful in my buying decision, so here's my experience - hopefully it helps someone out. Apologies in advance for the obscene length of this, but i really don't feel like editing it down (WARNING: if you don't feel like reading a detailed post on my buying experience please stop here).

Just picked up a 2009 Highlander Sport AWD with Leather package, EV#5 (JBL, bluetooth, climate, cold weather) , tow-prep package, power rear door, moonroof, carpet mats, for $33,042k. MSRP was $37,084, and invoice according to Edmunds was $33.0, so paid just about spot on invoice price - or a little more than $4k below MSRP.

Buying was a real pain in rear. Emailed several dealers trying to find out if they had something similar to what I wanted on the lot or if they could get it (not even asking about pricing) - every response I received was the boilerplate "yes, we have 2009 Highlanders in stock. Come in and test drive one today". After several pointless emails back in forth with one salesman over a couple of days, I got him on the phone - he took down what I was looking for, said he'd call me right back, and then proceeded to call me back three days later only to ask me what I was looking for and if there was anything he could do for me :mad:.

One internet dept sent me a quote on a Sport w/ leather, but no detail on what other options were installed. After trading emails with this internet dept trying to get details on what they had, I finally got them to call me directly and once I had them on the phone I was able to get them to send me the full spec sheet including VIN number.

A couple days later I went into that dealer, told them I spoke to the internet dept and wanted to take a look at the car. I showed him the emailed quote & spec sheet, he said "great", and we went out to have a look at the car. After maybe 20 minutes of me waiting for him to do god knows what in the back, we finally went to see the car (we had to drive to their other lot). I took a look, said "I'll take it", and we went back to the dealer to do the paperwork.

When we got back to his desk, after a few minutes of talking about I don't know what, he pulled out a copy of the email and pointed to the bottom -
    Salesperson: "see here at the bottom, where it says price quote includes fees, rebates, promotions"
    Me: "yeah - it says all you have to do is add TTL and drive off"
    SP: "right. So the rebates that are included in this price include a rebate for a recent college graduate, and if you finance through us. Ok?"
    Me: "Uh, not ok. That's a big problem. I'm not a recent graduate, and I already told you 3 times that I'm paying cash. If you're not willing to do this price, then we're done" (proceeds to stand up).
    SP: "wait, you can't just walk out of here. You can just finance it then pay it all off with the first payment, it won't cost you anything"
    Me: "I'm not interested in playing any games. If you can't do this price, I'm leaving".
    SP: "I'm not playing games. This is business. I have to make money too you know. I'm not trying to play any games, this is what the rebates are and it says so right in the email".
    ME: "Sorry, didn't mean to imply you're playing games. But the email is right here, and says all you have to do is add TTL. Nowhere does it mention any nonsense rebate that I have to qualify for." (me getting visibly irate at this point and actually ready to walk out the door).
    SP: "Ok. Let me see what I can do. How do you want to put down a deposit?"
    Me: "I don't care. However you want me to"
    SP: "Ok, give me your credit card and I'll be right back".
    Me: "Uh, first of all, you haven't even told me whether or not you can do this deal. Second of all, I'm not giving you a credit card until we have a contract written up. I'm not interested in playing anymore games"
    SP: "I'm not playing games. This is the way we do it. I have to have a commitment from you. Right now I have no commitment that you're going to buy this car"
    Me: "Sorry, didn't mean to imply you're playing games again. But I'm not giving you a credit card. I came in here about a specific car, specific VIN, with quote in hand, went out to look at it, and I'm sitting here at your desk trying to buy it. I could have come in here and tried to get a lower price - but I didn't - I came in here with a quote that I thought was fair, and I'm not asking to pay anything less than that, but I'm not paying a dime more than it either. I'm the one who's committed. I'm the one who doesn't know if YOU'RE committed to selling me this car. If you don't want to sell me it for the price you quoted me that's perfectly fine."
    SP: Walks away frustrated, comes back shortly with a piece of paper with the following handwritten "I agree to buy this car for $33k". "Will you sign this".
    ME: (thinking how ridiculous this whole thing was, and knowing that this piece of paper would be worth squat with or without my signature) "sure, no problem".
    SP: "Ok, let me see what we can do". Comes back in about 10 minutes.... "Ok".

After that I had him walk me through the contract, so I could see all the fees they were charging me. There was a fee where $45 was scratched out and $75 was written in - I wasn't sure if this was legit, but wasn't about to argue over a small amount. But I asked what it was, since quote clearly stated includes all but TTL, and he told me, "that's the DMV fee". I said fine and went on with it.

After I gave him my credit card I had to wait for the business manager. I waited probably 45 minutes for him to be ready to see me. Sat down, and he gave me the soft sell as went through all the add-ons offered.

$1600 for 6yr/$75 $0ded warrant.
    $500 environmental protection 7yrs
    $700 VIN etching
    $900 LoJack
    $600 Tire & Wheel Coverage 5 years
    $500 Alarm (car already has alarm, but this is glass break or something??)
    $800 remote start ($800?!!!)

I declined all of them, and he asked if I declined the extended warranty because of price? The price was way high in my opinion for what it was, but I didn't really care to buy it from these guys regardless so I just said it wasn't price, I just didn't need it. Clearly the prices they quote you on these things are a rip off, and I imagine a good amount of customers just say yes to them straight away.

After we were done going through the options, I asked to take a copy of the contract with me (was picking up the car the next day). He told me that I would get a copy when I picked up the car, and he just gave me a piece of paper that showed me one number - the total amount I owed. I should have insisted they at least give me a photo copy, but after spending a few hours in the dealership (mostly waiting around) I just wanted to get out of there.

The next day i went to pick up my car at the scheduled time. It wasn't ready yet (expected), so they had me wait in the customer waiting room. He
    This forum was very helpful in my buying decision, so here's my experience - hopefully it helps someone out. Apologies in advance for the obscene length of this, but i really don't feel like editing it down (WARNING: if you don't feel like reading a detailed post on my buying experience please stop here).

Just picked up a 2009 Highlander Sport AWD with Leather package, EV#5 (JBL, bluetooth, climate, cold weather) , tow-prep package, power rear door, moonroof, carpet mats, for $33,042k. MSRP was $37,084, and invoice according to Edmunds was $33.0, so paid just about spot on invoice price - or a little more than $4k below MSRP.

Buying was a real pain in rear. Emailed several dealers trying to find out if they had something similar to what I wanted on the lot or if they could get it (not even asking about pricing) - every response I received was the boilerplate "yes, we have 2009 Highlanders in stock. Come in and test drive one today". After several pointless emails back in forth with one salesman over a couple of days, I got him on the phone - he took down what I was looking for, said he'd call me right back, and then proceeded to call me back three days later only to ask me what I was looking for and if there was anything he could do for me :mad:.

One internet dept sent me a quote on a Sport w/ leather, but no detail on what other options were installed. After trading emails with this internet dept trying to get details on what they had, I finally got them to call me directly and once I had them on the phone I was able to get them to send me the full spec sheet including VIN number.

A couple days later I went into that dealer, told them I spoke to the internet dept and wanted to take a look at the car. I showed him the emailed quote & spec sheet, he said "great", and we went out to have a look at the car. After maybe 20 minutes of me waiting for him to do god knows what in the back, we finally went to see the car (we had to drive to their other lot). I took a look, said "I'll take it", and we went back to the dealer to do the paperwork.

When we got back to his desk, after a few minutes of talking about I don't know what, he pulled out a copy of the email and pointed to the bottom -
    Salesperson: "see here at the bottom, where it says price quote includes fees, rebates, promotions"
    Me: "yeah - it says all you have to do is add TTL and drive off"
    SP: "right. So the rebates that are included in this price include a rebate for a recent college graduate, and if you finance through us. Ok?"
    Me: "Uh, not ok. That's a big problem. I'm not a recent graduate, and I already told you 3 times that I'm paying cash. If you're not willing to do this price, then we're done" (proceeds to stand up).
    SP: "wait, you can't just walk out of here. You can just finance it then pay it all off with the first payment, it won't cost you anything"
    Me: "I'm not interested in playing any games. If you can't do this price, I'm leaving".
    SP: "I'm not playing games. This is business. I have to make money too you know. I'm not trying to play any games, this is what the rebates are and it says so right in the email".
    ME: "Sorry, didn't mean to imply you're playing games. But the email is right here, and says all you have to do is add TTL. Nowhere does it mention any nonsense rebate that I have to qualify for." (me getting visibly irate at this point and actually ready to walk out the door).
    SP: "Ok. Let me see what I can do. How do you want to put down a deposit?"
    Me: "I don't care. However you want me to"
    SP: "Ok, give me your credit card and I'll be right back".
    Me: "Uh, first of all, you haven't even told me whether or not you can do this deal. Second of all, I'm not giving you a credit card until we have a contract written up. I'm not interested in playing anymore games"
    SP: "I'm not playing games. This is the way we do it. I have to have a commitment from you. Right now I have no commitment that you're going to buy this car"
    Me: "Sorry, didn't mean to imply you're playing games again. But I'm not giving you a credit card. I came in here about a specific car, specific VIN, with quote in hand, went out to look at it, and I'm sitting here at your desk trying to buy it. I could have come in here and tried to get a lower price - but I didn't - I came in here with a quote that I thought was fair, and I'm not asking to pay anything less than that, but I'm not paying a dime more than it either. I'm the one who's committed. I'm the one who doesn't know if YOU'RE committed to selling me this car. If you don't want to sell me it for the price you quoted me that's perfectly fine."
    SP: Walks away frustrated, comes back shortly with a piece of paper with the following handwritten "I agree to buy this car for $33k". "Will you sign this".
    ME: (thinking how ridiculous this whole thing was, and knowing that this piece of paper would be worth squat with or without my signature) "sure, no problem".
    SP: "Ok, let me see what we can do". Comes back in about 10 minutes.... "Ok".

After that I had him walk me through the contract, so I could see all the fees they were charging me. There was a fee where $45 was scratched out and $75 was written in - I wasn't sure if this was legit, but wasn't about to argue over a small amount. But I asked what it was, since quote clearly stated includes all but TTL, and he told me, "that's the DMV fee". I said fine and went on with it.

After I gave him my credit card I had to wait for the business manager. I waited probably 45 minutes for him to be ready to see me. Sat down, and he gave me the soft sell as went through all the add-ons offered.

$1600 for 6yr/$75 $0ded warrant.
    $500 environmental protection 7yrs
    $700 VIN etching
    $900 LoJack
    $600 Tire & Wheel Coverage 5 years
    $500 Alarm (car already has alarm, but this is glass break or something??)
    $800 remote start ($800?!!!)

I declined all of them, and he asked if I declined the extended warranty because of price? The price was way high in my opinion for what it was, but I didn't really care to buy it from these guys regardless so I just said it wasn't price, I just didn't need it. Clearly the prices they quote you on these things are a rip off, and I imagine a good amount of customers just say yes to them straight away...................
    (continued from above message...again, sorry about crazy length)...

After we were done going through the options, I asked to take a copy of the contract with me (was picking up the car the next day). He told me that I would get a copy when I picked up the car, and he just gave me a piece of paper that showed me one number - the total amount I owed. I should have insisted they at least give me a photo copy, but after spending a few hours in the dealership (mostly waiting around) I just wanted to get out of there.

The next day i went to pick up my car at the scheduled time. It wasn't ready yet (expected), so they had me wait in the customer waiting room. He kept telling me it's almost ready. Despite me telling him that it was no big deal if the car wouldn't be ready for a little while, but just to please let me know b/c I live very close by and can just come back later when it's ready - i just didn't want to wait in the dealership all day. He kept telling me it'll only be a few minutes, but of course a couple of hours went by before my car was actually ready. I just sat there and kept my mouth shut, but I really have no idea what the point of this is - why make customers wait around like that when they've clearly expressed to you that it's no problem for them to just come back in a few hours?

I also asked to get the paperwork done while we were waiting for the car to come in. I really just wanted to see the contract because the math wasn't adding up in my head. I knew the tax and fees that were listed on the contract when I went over it the day before, but I couldn't get the total to add up. Sure enough, when we finally got to the contract it turned out the $75 fee was the dealer document fee and there was an additional $150 for TTL. Maybe it was there the night before, but I went over that contract pretty carefully and didn't see it. I might be crazy, but I think what they might have done was leave the $150 fee off of the face of the invoice so I only saw the $75 fee that he told me was the "DMV" fee, but when they wrote in the total they included the $150 fee in the calculation figuring no one is going to sit there and add up the numbers to make sure the total was right. This way I would agree to the total (not realizing it had the two separate fees built into it) and then, the next day they wrote in the $150 on the face of the invoice. This may be why they refused to give me a copy of the contract the day before and only gave me the sheet that had only one number on it - the total balance due.

Anyway, I didn't see much point in arguing about it (I didn't have any proof anyway) and I would probably would have just agreed to the $75 doc fee in addition to the $150 TTL if they had just presented it to me anyway, so I just let it go. Maybe I was just overly paranoid, but I could swear it wasn't there the night before. Finally the car was ready and I drove it out of there. Have been very happy since.

On a side note, while I was waiting to pick up my car I heard the customer with the salesperson next to me going through a similar thing -
    Cust: "what's the point of a written quote if you're not going to honor it?"
    SP: "I would honor it. But this is a different car. We don't have that car."
    Cust: "This is ridiculous. What kind of a way is this to do business"
    SP: "I'm a businessman, and this is the way business is done. We would honor that quote, but we don't have the car."
    Cust: "Well I'm a lawyer, and I have this written quote right here."
    SP: "let me go see what I can do"
    I wanted to go over and tell him to just threaten to walk out unless they gave him that exact price, but didn't want to get involved. Maybe I should have.

Hope someone finds this remotely helpful.
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Member Posts: 177
    I'd find it helpful, but I have at least that many stories about trying to buy the elusive Highlander at dealers between D.C., Richmond(my home), Charlottesville, Staunton and Harrisonburg (where my '06 Avalon came from.)

I'm still driving the Avalon because the sales folks are NOT helpful and don't have any Highlanders to sell. At least not a Limited with everything but the rear seat entertainment.

""wait, you can't just walk out of here."

Why do they say that? I hear that and start giggling and I just turned 59; I'm too old to giggle at them. I'm not too old to walk out and do when they start playing games they think they invented. They didn't. I have cash, please somebody, find me a car. :)

Maybe the 2010 Highlanders will really be out in a month or two. I might even pay sticker if somebody will find me what I want and not jerk me around trying to sell it to me. At last, for the first time in my life I have more money than sense.

John
    "At last, for the first time in my life I have more money than sense."

Ha - we should all be so lucky to attain that in life!
    I got a new highlander Base model 2009 4*4 V6 engine for $27,000 from Norwood MA. Do u guys think is this a good deal???
  • epiphany2010epiphany2010 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, Chinvar, could you please provide more details regarding your purchase? Like add-on options, invoice price, TTL, OTD, the delivery time? One of my friends is a Toyota dealer salesperson.
  • zixy_triszixy_tris Member Posts: 8
    I am looking for a sport with an extra value package. Basically I need third row and automatic climate control. Any suggestions in terms of pricing. I can wait if the deal go better in october as I am hearing there are still 09 coming in and 10 are also coming late is spetember. So I assume october will be best for buying 09. Right now i wont amke sense to buy an 09.
  • sierra10sierra10 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have been reading these posts for the Highlander for over two months and in that time, have been trying to locate a Limited w/ #7, XM and Owners Rewards package with no luck. I have been given the run-around, not called back, bait-and-switched, intimidated and in general, treated poorly by about 90% of the dealerships I have contacted within the state of Texas. I wanted to share my experiences because it seems like a lot of you are getting the same run around as well. I am not sure if it's a sign of the times (as in Post-CARS) and dealers think they are entitled or what but after being treated particularly bad last weekend at a Toyota dealership...intimidated and they tried to confuse me multiple times (I'm a lone female buyer), I have decided I no longer want a Highlander. I feel the same will happen when the 2010s come out as well and I really am just tired of being treated badly when all I want is a fair price (Edmund's TMV). Most dealers I have been in touch with want MRSP, 500 off MSRP or a minimum of 1,000 over invoice. I understand they need to make a profit but they don't seem very interested in a happy medium where they are happy and so is the customer.
    Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts with you all...and I wish you all luck in your search for a Limited. A couple of the dealers I spoke with who actually looked in their computer said 2010s will be on their lot in late October. Not sure if that is all states or Texas.
  • abk99abk99 Member Posts: 14
    I purchased a 09 AWD Limited- EVP8, Spoiler, Mud guards, wheel locks, carpet, tow pack for $36,412. The dealer showed me his invoice on the vehicle and it was within a few dollars. KBB and Edmunds invoice price doesn't include marketing money they pay to toyota. Plus when you factor in the hold back they get for every car they sell they are still coming out ahead by at least $500 selling the car close to invoice.
  • peter92peter92 Member Posts: 3
    Very helpful and great reading.

I am looking for a 6946 model with very few options.
    The lowest MSRP that I see is 28,785
    The TMV comes in at 25,277
    There is a 750 cash to dealer incentives.

What would be a fair price to pay in FL.

Thanks,
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Yes it is a sad story,sierra10, but even today it is true that many salesmen do treat women differently than men...but be firm and strong in your dealings with them..I saw this happened once at a Chrysler dealer and I couldn't help it but I jump in their conversation which was taken place next to us (wife and salesman were surprised at my reaction) while negotiating our buying (loud saleman at next desk), after all they need you and not the other way around. please realize that in the South West and South East Toyotas are sold by distributors to dealers and not by Toyota to dealers this increases the Toyota prices more than in any other parts of the country.
    My advise is to wait, if you can, after the 2010 are here in full swing towards the November and December (specially December) and the try again to get your lowet price. Contact the internet sales managers via emails and try to get them to give you a price on what they have in stock before you even show up at their places and tell them so that you do not want to waste anyones time,secondly try to be flexible
    (as much as your taste allows you) and be patient. During holidays when people are not thinking of buying cars (Thanksgivivng and Christmas) and being the end of month and quater your chance for a better price should increase.
    Good luck and let us know how you do.
  • peter92peter92 Member Posts: 3
    Want to buy a 09 Highlander. Started with Edmunds.com to check on MSRP, Invoice & TMV.
    Directed the request to a local dealer. Salesperson called me & I told him the Highlander that I wanted to buy etc.
    He started to tell me that to the TMV # you need to add Dealer Fee, Tags, State fee & Sales Tax.
    He sent me an email with a different starting point. I replied that adding all the fees to Edmunds #s he was about $800 higher.
    He quickly replied that he had told me that I needed to add "2.75% of the base list price for the Distributor assessment to the dealer".

Is this correct? and what is the purpose of a dealer using Edmunds to bring them potential sales if they do not honor the numbers that are being provided.

Thanks
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    I think you are a bit confused (maybe the host can correct me and you)..Edmunds is a guide to HELP us consumer to obtain a fair price, Edmunds is not providing this info to generate business for dealers, at least that is what I think.
    "Dealer Fee, Tags, State fee & Sales Tax" are NOT part of the TMV provided by Edmunds because that changes from state to state.
    The "2.75% of the base list price for the Distributor assessment to the dealer". if you are in the Southeast or Southwest maybe he is informing you of what additional fees/prices the distributor adds to the vehicles when they sell them to the dealers. In the rest of the country Toyota sells directly to the dealers.
    This dealer it appears to me os giving you info that could be very helpfull to you in buying the Highlander.
    I always have said that being informed (Correctly informed) is very valuable so when you see a good or fair deal you don't walk away thinking that you can do better,which with all due respect is what I think is happening with you.
    Good luck and keep us informed on how you do.
    Peter,

The only thing you need to add to TMV is Tax, Title and Registration (referred to sometimes as TTL). And I would not necessarily settle on TMV. I just bought a base Highlander and the TMV for the model and options I bought was 28,100. I got it for 27,000. After adding 6.25% MA sales tax, 125 for registration and 225 for "document fee" I had an out the door price of $29,100.

One more thing that TMV does not take in to consideration that you can get if you buy a Consumer Reports write up on your vehicle is the "dealer holdback" which was around $550 for the Highlander if I remember correctly.

Oh and starting on September 9th there is a $500 cash to customer available on the Highlander.

So I wouldn't not trust what the dealer is telling you and I wouldn't necessarily even accept TMV. It is after all an average and if you are on this forum and doing your homework you are not an average consumer and should get a better than average deal.

Keep us posted.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    In certain areas, Toyota uses independent distributors. Basically, a middle man between Toyota and their dealers. It is an antiquated system from the '60s that Toyota entered into, to ease their entry into the US market.

Unfortunately for Toyota (and some of their customers), they are stuck with this system, that adds an extra layer of cost. My guess is that you are in the Gulf States or the SouthEast region..

If so, you have my condolences..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator